Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
سيكويا دائمة الخضرة
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Chinese:
加州紅木, 北美红杉 (bei mei hong shan)
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
California Redwood, Coast Redwood, Californian redwood, Humboldt redwood, Redwood
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
arbre à amadou, séquoia à feuilles d'if, séquoia côtier, séquoia toujours vert
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Eiben sequoie, Immergrüne Sequoie, Küsten sequoie, Küstenmammutbaum
Common Names in Greek (modern):
Common Names in Hebrew (modern):
Common Names in Hungarian:
Fésus óriásfenyo, Örökzöld mamutfenyő, Tengerparti óriásfenyo
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Sequoia rosso, Sequoia sempreverde
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Kazakh:
Common Names in Komi:
Common Names in Korean:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Секвойя, секвойя вечнозелёная (sekvojya vechnozeljonaya)
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish, Castilian:
corla, secoya, Sequoia
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tamil:
Common Names in Turkish:
, monoecious or dioecious. Leaves decussate or in whorls of 3, scalelike and then often dimorphic
with flattened facial leaves and keeled
leaves, or needlelike particularly in juvenile plants
, often with an abaxial
. Pollen cones terminal
, solitary, maturing and shed annually; microsporophylls
6-16, decussate or whorled
, each bearing (2 or) 3-6(-9) pollen sacs
; pollen wingless. Seed cones usually terminal, solitary, globose
, or oblong
or indehiscent when mature
in 1st or 2nd(or 3rd) year; cone scales developing after ovules originate in bract axils; bracts almost completely enveloped by cone scales, free
only at apex; ovules 1-numerous per bract axil, erect
; cone scales of mature cones 3-16, flat or peltate, woody, leathery, or succulent, 1-20-seeded. Seeds winged
or not; wings
derived from seed coat
. Cotyledons usually 2, rarely 3-6. Germination epigeal.
Nineteen genera and ca. 125 species: worldwide; eight genera (one introduced ) and 46 species (16 endemic, 13 introduced) in China.
The Senecioneae are a tribe of closely related genera that can be recognized most readily by the nature of the pappus and the involucral bracts or phyllaries. The phyllaries are basically in one well developed, often partially or wholly connate series of equal length that closely envelope the head . Frequently there are a few, very much smaller and mostly randomly distributed, often necrotic-tipped bracts near the base of the main series. The pappus is of fine, soft, often pure white capillary hairs . Heads may be either discoid or radiate . -- Gerald Carr.
Trees giant, evergreen . Branchlets terete , with obvious annual growth constrictions. Leaves alternate, mostly in 2 ranks . Adult leaves linear or linear-lanceolate to deltate, generally flattened, divergent to strongly appressed ; abaxial glands absent. Pollen cones with 6--12 sporophylls, each sporophyll with 2--6 pollen sacs . Seed cones maturing and opening in 1 season , oblong to globose ; scales persistent , 15--30, valvate , ± peltate, thick and woody. Seeds 2--7 per scale, lenticular , narrowly 2-winged; cotyledons 2(--4). x = 11.
Species Sequoia sempervirens
to 9 m diam.; crown conic and monopodial
when young, narrowed conic in age. Bark
reddish brown, to ca. 35
cm thick, fibrous
. Branches downward sweeping
to slightly ascending
. Leaves 1--30 mm, generally with stomates on
both surfaces, the free
portion to 30 mm, those on leaders
, and fertile
divergent to strongly appressed
to deltate, those on horizontally spreading
to linear-lanceolate, divergent and in 2 ranks
, white abaxial
. Pollen cones nearly globose
, 2--5 mm, borne singly on short terminal
Seed cones 1.3--3.5 cm. Seeds flattened, 3--6 mm, leathery. 2 n =
Redwood is the only naturally occurring hexaploid conifer. It is one of only a few vegetatively reproducing conifers (from stump sprouts) and possibly the tallest tree species known. Winter buds , though small, are evident. [source]
Habit: Tree • Growth Form: Single Stem • Shape and Orientation: Erect
Flowers: Bloom Period: Fall • Flower Color: Yellow • Flower Conspicuous: No
Seeds: Seed per Pound: 95200 • Seed Spread Rate: Slow • Seedling Vigor: High • Fruit/Seed Abundance: High • Fruit/Seed Color: Brown • Fruit/Seed Conspicuous: Yes • Cold Stratification Required: No
Foliage: Foliage Color: Green • Foliage Porosity Summer: Dense • Foliage Porosity Winter: Dense • Foliage Texture: Medium • Fall Conspicuous: No • Leaf Retention: Yes
Active Growth Period: Spring and Summer • Growth Rate: Rapid • Mature Height (feet): 250.0 • Maximum Height at 20 Years (feet): 60 • Size: over 40' tall. • Vegetative Spread Rate: None • Lifespan: Lifespan
Coastal redwood forests ; generally below 300 m , occasionally to 1000 m.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate [more info]
Duration: Perennial • Coppice Potential: Yes • Progagated by Bulbs: No • Propagated by Bare Root: Yes • Propagated by Container: Yes • Propagated by Corms: No • Propagated by Cuttings: Yes • Propagated by Seed: Yes • Propagated by Sod: No • Propagated by Sprigs: No • Propagated by Tubers: No • Fruit/Seed Period Begin: Spring • Fruit/Seed Period End: Fall • Fruit/Seed Persistence: Yes
Culture: Space 20-30' apart.
Soil: Adapted to Medium Textured: Adapted to Medium Textured Soils • Adapted to Coarse Textured Soils: Yes • Anaerobic Tolerance: None • Salinity Tolerance: None • CaCO3 Tolerance: Low • Minimum pH: 5.0 • Maximum pH: 7.0 • Fertility Requirement: Low
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade. • Shade Tolerance: Tolerant
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: Low • Minimum Precipitation: 20 • Maximum Precipitation: 200 • Moisture Use: Medium
Temperature: Minimum Temperature (F): 7 • Minimum Frost Free Days: 180 • Cold Hardiness: 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Cronquist et al., 1966
- Link, 1829
- Family: Cupressaceae () - S.F. Gray, 1822, nom. cons. - Cypress Family
- Order: Coniferales () - Link, 1829
- Subclass: Pinidae () - Cronquist et al., 1966
- Class: Coniferopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Descr. Pinus 2: 24. 1824 • Gigantabies taxifolia J. Nelson • Taxodium sempervirens D. Don in Lambert
: Endl. Publication
Conif. 198. 1847 [May-Jun
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Comment: Conservation status: NT, Habit: Tree
Last scrutiny: 5-Jun-2008
Was formerly included under the family Taxodiaceae. The Taxodiaceae is now merged with Cupressaceae (see Farjon 2001)..
Members of the genus Sequoia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
S. sempervirens (California Redwood) · S. sempervirens f. glauca (Blue Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Adpressa' (Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Aptos Blue' (Aptos Blue Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Cantab' (Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Filoli' (Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Monty' (Majestic Beauty® Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Santa Cruz' (San Cruz Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Simpson's Silver' (Simpson's Silver Coast Redwood) · S. sempervirens 'Soquel' (Coast Redwood)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The lichen flora of the Santa Cruz Peninsula, California. By Albert W. C. T. Herre. Baltimore, Md., Washington academy of sciences url , , .
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 374, p. 397.
- A college text-book of Botany, being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary Botany." New York, Holt, 1905. url p. 538, p. 548, p. 639, p. 735.
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 538, p. 539, p. 548, p. 639, p. 735.
- A college text-book of botany; being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany." New York: Holt, 1908 [c1905] url p. 538, p. 539, p. 548, p. 639, p. 735.
- A critical revision of the genus Eucalyptus, by J.H. Maiden. Sydney, Gullick, 1903-33. url , p. 255.
- A discussion of Australian forestry: with special references to forestry in Western Australia, the necessity of an Australian forest policy, and notices of organised forestry in other parts of the world / by D. E. Hutchins. Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1916. url p. 106, p. 125, p. 153, p. 163, p. 266, p. 315, p. 317, p. 390, p. 427, p. 78.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 238, p. 258, p. 27, p. 54, p. 54, p. 55, p. 55, p. 56.
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A general introduction to forestry in the United States, with special reference to recent forest conservation policies, by Nelson Courtlandt Brown. New York, Chapman & Hall, limited, 1935. url p. 289.
- A guide to the identification of our more useful timbers, being a manual for the use of the students of forestry. CambridgeUniversity Press1920 url p. 45.
- A handbook of Coniferae, including Ginkgoaceæ, by W. Dallimore and A. Bruce Jackson. With drawings by Miss G. Lister. New York, Longmans, Green, 1923. url , p. 493.
- A laboratory guide for histology; laboratory outlines for the study of histology and microscopic anatomy, by Irving Hardesty. .. With a chapter on laboratory drawing by Adelebert Watts Lee. .. With 30 illustrations 2 of which are in colors. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.1908. url p. 46.
- A list of mammals obtained by Edmund Heller, collector for the museum, from the coast region of northern California and Oregon, by D. G. Elliot. 3 1903 Chicago, 1903. url p. 175.
- A little garden the year round, wherein much joy was found, experience gained and profit, spiritual as well as mundane, derived without loss of prestige in a practical neighborhood. New York, E. P. Dutton & company[c1919] url .
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 967.
- A manual of the North American gymnosperms, exclusive of the cycadales but together with certain exotic species, by David Pearce Penhallow. Boston, Ginn, 1907. url , p. 113, p. 117, p. 121, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 126, p. 127, p. 139, p. 141, p. 142, p. 143, p. 148, p. 157, p. 195, p. 223, p. 227, p. 52, p. 86, p. 94.
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url , .
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , , , p. 1007, p. 1008, p. 984.
- A record of the doctors in botany of the University of Chicago 1897-1916, presented to John Merle Coulter, professor and head of the Department of botany, by the doctors in Botany at the quarter-centennial of the university, June 1916. Chicago,  url .
- A research on the pines of Australia, Sydney, W. A. Gullick, government printer, 1910. url p. 311, p. 85.
- A synthesis of evolutionary theory. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1962. url p. 123.
- A taxonomic and evolutionary study of the piñon mouse, Peromyscus truei. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1951. url p. 57.
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and as a handbook for food and drug analysts. London, Lippincott[c1907] url .
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 543.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 501.
- A text-book of plant physiology, by George James Peirce. .. New York: H. Holt and company, 1903. url p. 119.
- A text-book of plant physiology. New York, H. Holt[c1903] url .
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 335, p. 338, p. 339, p. 342, p. 346, p. 482, p. 548.
- Adventures in scenery, a popular reader of California geology, by Daniel E. Willard. .. Lancaster, Pa., The Jaques Cattell press, 1942. url , , p. 409.
- American big game in its haunts; the book of the Boone and Crockett club. Editor: George Bird Grinnell. New York: Forest and stream publishing company, 1904. url p. 350.
- American forest trees, by Henry H. Gibson; ed. by Hu Maxwell. Chicago, Hardwood record, 1913. url , p. 14, p. 181, p. 181.
- American forest trees; edited by Hu Maxwell. ChicagoHardwood Record1913 url .
- American forestry. Washington, D.C.: American Forestry Association, 1910-1923. url p. 325, p. 431, p. 605, p. 771.
- American fossil cycads / by G.R. Wieland. Washington: Carnegie Institution, 1906-1916. url p. 232, p. 276.
- American men of science; a biographical directory. New York, Science Press, 1906. url p. 341.
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 1075.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 259, p. 278, p. 60.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 69.
- An introduction to California plant life Berkeley: University of California Press, [c1974] url p. 18, p. 6, p. 63, p. 69, p. 87, p. 89.
- An introduction to cytology, by Lester W. Sharp. .. New York [etc.]McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1921. url p. 307.
- An introduction to historical plant geography, by E. V. Wulff. .. authorized translation by Elizabeth Brissenden. Foreword by Elmer D. Merrill. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1943. url p. 83.
- An introduction to the study of fossils (plants and animals) / by Hervey Woodburn Shimer. New York: The Macmillan Co., 1921. url p. 443, p. 73.
- An outline of plant geography, by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 132.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 462.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 61.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 11, p. 129, p. 130.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Museum of Natural History Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1907-1943. url p. 142, p. 143.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 117.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 117, p. 117.
- Arboriculture. Chicago;International Society of Arboriculture. url p. 185.
- Artist, and wildlife and environmental defender: oral history transcript / interviews conducted by Suzanne Riess and Ann Lage; with introductions by Wallace Stegner and Emily Polk. Berkeley: Regional Oral History Office, Bancroft Library, University of California, 1991. url , .
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 47 - 51 1980 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 37.
- Beautiful and rare trees & plants. London, C. Scribner's Sons[pref. 1903] url , , .
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 370.
- Biltmore lectures on sylviculture / by C. A. Schenck. Albany, N.Y.: Brandow Printing Co., 1907. url p. 11, p. 123, p. 159, p. 21.
- Biochemical systematics [by] Ralph E. Alston [and] B. L. Turner. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall url p. 193, p. 219.
- Biology in America [by] R. T. Young, with more than two hundred illustrations. Boston, R. G. Badger[c1922] url p. 185.
- Biology in America [by] R.T. Young, with more than two hundred illustrations. Boston: R.G. Badger, [c1922] url p. 185.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 150.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 25 1976-1977 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. viii.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 169, p. 243.
- Botany for high schhools / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt, 1912. url p. 471, p. 475, p. 541.
- Botany for high schools, by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt and Company, 1910. url p. 441, p. 445, p. 491.
- British flowering plants. By W. F. Kirby. With 120 coloured plates, showing the most important characters of each plant figured; and 119 illustrations in the text. London, Sidney Appleton, 1906. url p. 207.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 9 1907-1916 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 29.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 92.
- Bulletin Harrisburg, Pa.: The Department: 1901-1923. url .
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1920 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 273, p. 302, p. 345, p. 389, p. 393, p. 403, p. 404, p. 449, p. 97.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 239.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 345.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 150.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 20, p. 23, p. 24, p. 24, p. 24, p. 27, p. 47, p. 59, p. 6.
- Cabinet timbers of Australia. By R. T. Baker. Sydney: W.A. Gullick, government printer, 1913. url p. 164.
- Cabinet timbers of Australia. SydneyW.A. Gullick, Govt. Printer1913 url , p. 164.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 126, p. 127, p. 139, p. 171, p. 202, p. 207, p. 248, p. 266, p. 318, p. 37, p. 6.
- Canadian trees worth knowing. Toronto, Musson url p. 290.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , p. 10, p. 128, p. 135, p. 141, p. 142, p. 21, p. 214, p. 217, p. 218, p. 72.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 151, p. 373.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 44.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url , , p. 126, p. 2578.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 765.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 765.
- Catalogue of the Mesozoic plants in the Department of geology, British museum (Natural history) [Part III-IV] The Jurassic flora London, The Trustees, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 1431.
- Catalogue of the library of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University / compiled under the direction of Charles Sprague Sargent by Ethelyn Maria Tucker. Cambridge: Printed at the Cosmos Press, 1914-1933. url p. 213, p. 223, p. 285, p. 623.
- Certain features of German forestry, Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1915. url p. 17.
- Chloroplast pigments and chromatographic analysis. University Park, Pennsylvania State University url p. 138.
- Clonal propagation of endangered native plants rhododendron chapmanii gray, taxus floridana nutt., and torreya taxifolia arn. / by Lee Roy Barnes Jr. 1985. url p. 59, p. 61, p. 66.
- Coniferous trees for profit & ornament: being a concise description of each species and variety, with the most recently approved nomenclature, list of synonyms, and best methods of cultivation / by A. D. Webster. London: Constable and Co., 1918. url , , , .
- Conifers and their characteristics / New York: Macmillan, 1920. url .
- Conifers and their characteristics. London, J. Murray, 1920. url p. 199.
- Contributions to the knowledge of the life history of Pinus with special reference to sporogenesis, the development of the gametophytes and fertilization. By Margaret C. Ferguson... Washington, D. C., The Academy, 1904. url p. 142, p. 148, p. 151.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1078.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1659, p. 1660, p. 1843, p. 1846.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 625.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 625, p. 694.
- Dictionary of German and English forest-terms, Neudamm, J. Neumann url .
- Dudley memorial volume, containing a paper by William Russel Dudley and appreciations and contributions in his memory by friends and colleagues. .. Stanford University, Cal., The University, 1913. url , , , .
- Dwarf and slow-growing conifers, by Murray Hornibrook. London, "Country Life", 1923. url p. 156.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 205, p. 208, p. 211, p. 358, p. 72.
- Economics of forestry, a reference book for students of Political Economy and professional and lay students of Forestry. New York, Crowell url p. 464.
- Economics of forestry: a reference book for students of political economy and professional and lay students of forestry /c by Bernhard E. Fernow. New York: T. Y. Crowell, c1902. url .
- Economics of forestry; a reference book for students of political economy and professional and lay students of forestry, by Bernhard E. Fernow. .. New York, T.Y. Crowell & co. url p. 464.
- Edmund Loder, naturalist, horticulturist, traveller and sportsman: a memoir / by Alfred E. Pease; with contributions by St. George Littledale [et. al.]. London: J. Murray, 1923. url p. 67.
- Elementary botany. New York: H. Holt, [c1905] url .
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, by Theodore C. Frye. .. and George B. Rigg. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1914] url p. 29.
- Elementary notes on conifers. LondonOxford University Press1920 url p. 21, p. 21, p. 22.
- Embryogenesis in plants. London, Methuen; url p. 199, p. 200, p. 202, p. 341, p. 378, p. 9.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 241, p. 25, p. 80.
- Erwin Frink Smith: a story of North American plant pathology. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society, 1952. url p. 610.
- Essays in geobotany in honor of William Albert Setchell, edited by T.H. Goodspeed. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1936. url p. 109, p. 271, p. 67, p. 78.
- Eucalyptus culture in Hawaii. Honolulu, Hawaiian Gazette Co., Ltd., 1911. url p. 8.
- Evolution: process and product. New York, Reinhold url p. 312, p. 313.
- Familiar trees and their leaves / described and illustrated by F. Schuyler Mathews; with illustrations in colors and over two hundred drawings by the author, and an introduction by L.H. Bailey. New York: D. Appleton, 1901. url p. 316.
- Familiar trees and their leaves, described and illustrated by F. Schuyler Mathews, with illus. in colors and over two hundred drawings by the author, and an introd. by L.H. Bailey. Ed. in colors. 1911 New YorkD. Appleton1911 url p. 293, p. 330.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 11.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 532.
- First book of forestry / by Filibert Roth. Boston: Ginn, 1902. url p. 262, p. 262, p. 262.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 412.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 412, p. 582.
- Flora of the Queen Charlotte Islands. [Ottawa: Queen's Printer], 1968-. url p. 53.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Flower grouping in English, Scotch & Irish gardens; notes & 56 sketches in colour, by Margaret Waterfield. .. with contributions by E. V. B., S. Arnott [and others] London: E. P. Dutton & co., 1907. url p. 236.
- Flowers of the field, by the late Rev. C. A. Johns. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1911. url p. 592.
- For California. San Francisco: California Promotion Committee, 1903- url p. 8.
- Forest mensuration / by C. A. Schenck. Sewanee, Tenn.: The University Press, 1905. url p. 11.
- Forest products, their manufacture and use: embracing the principal commercial features in the production, manufacture, and utilization of the most important forest products other than lumber, in the United States / New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1919. url , , .
- Forest protection; guide to lectures delivered at the Biltmore Forest School, Asheville, N.C., The Inland Press, 1909. url p. 123, p. 159.
- Forest trees of the Pacific slope. By George B. Sudworth. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1908. url p. 145, p. 4.
- Forestry almanac, compiled and edited by the American tree association. Washington, D.C.[c1924] url p. 35, p. 68.
- Forestry for woodmen / by C. O. Hanson. Oxford: At the Clarendon press, 1911. url p. 16.
- Forestry for woodmen, by C. O. Hanson. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1921. url p. 16.
- Forestry in America as reflected in Proceedings of the Society of American foresters, Bellefonte, Pa., Press of Watchman printing house url p. 68.
- Forestry in Minnesota. [2d ed.] Published by the Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul, Minn.Pioneer Press Co.1902 url p. 373.
- Forestry in South Africa, by D.E. Hutchins. .. n.p., 1905? url p. 8.
- Forestry problems in the United States, by Thomas P. Ivy, B. A. Hendersonville, N.C., 1906. url p. 47.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca, N.Y. [etc.] url p. 214, p. 239.
- Form-factors in Coniferae. LondonOxford University Press1920 url p. 7.
- Fossil plants from the beds of volcanic ash near Missoula, western Montana / by O.E. Jennings. Pittsburgh: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute,  url p. 402.
- Gardening in California, San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1914. url p. 156.
- Gardening in California, landscape and flower, by John McLaren... San Francisco, A.M. Robertson, 1909. url p. 155, p. 155.
- General biology, New YorkHolt url p. 463.
- Global Biodiversity: status of the Earth's living resources WCMC url p. 64.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1332, p. 253, p. 298, p. 300, fig. 192, page 868.
- Growth in trees, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1921. url .
- Growth in trees, by D. T. MacDougal. Washington: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1921. url p. 10.
- Growth in trees. Washington, Carnegie Inst. of Wash., 1921. url p. 10.
- Guidebook for the identification of woods used for ties and timbers, by Arthur Koehler, expert in wood identification, Forest products laboratory, Madison, Wisconsin. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1917. url .
- Gymnosperms; structure and evolution, by Charles Joseph Chamberlain. .. with 397 figures. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press url p. 218, p. 252, p. 299, p. 314, p. 343, p. 456, p. 462.
- Hand-list of Coniferae, grown in the Royal Botanic Gardens. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Darling1903 url p. 23, p. 63.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 63, p. xxiii.
- Handbook of West-American cone-bearers. J. G. Lemmon. [Oakland, Cal.]1900. url p. 108.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 246, p. 330, p. 349.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , .
- Hardwood record. Chicago: Hardwood Co., 1902-1939. url p. 37, p. 41, p. 625.
- Heredity and evolution in plants, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., 1920. url .
- Heredity and evolution in plants, by C. Stuart Gager. .. with 113 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., 1920. url p. 178.
- Historic American trees / New York: Frye, c1922. url .
- Historic American trees, by Katharine Stanley Nicholson. Photographs by the author and others. New York, Frye publishing company[c1922] url p. 80, p. 80.
- Historic American trees. New YorkFrye[c1922] url p. 80.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 461.
- Hortus Mortolensis: enumeratio plantarum in Horto Mortolensi cultarum = Alphabetical catalogue of plants growing in the garden of the late Sir Thomas Hanbury. .. at La Mortola, Ventimiglia, Italy / compiled by Alwin Berger. London: West, Newman, 1912. url p. 315, p. 429.
- Hortus Veitchii: a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remark by James H. Veitch; with fifty illustrations. London: J. Veitch & sons, 1906. url p. 39.
- How to tell the trees and Forest Endowment of Pacific Slope, by John Gill Lemmon. .. and also some elements of forestry with suggestions by Mrs. Lemmon; 1st ser. The cone-bearers. Oakland, Cal., 1902. url p. 60.
- Identification of the economic woods of the United States, including a discussion of the structural and physical properties of wood, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url , , , , p. 112, p. 23, p. 52.
- Illustrations of conifers / by H. Clinton-Baker. Hertford: Privately printed [by Simson], 1909-1913. url .
- Injurious and beneficial insects of California. / By E. O. Essig. Sacramento, California state printing office, 1915 url , , p. 72.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 1149, p. 121, p. 156, p. 244, p. 331, p. 374, p. 656.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1061.
- Introduction to plant geography and some related sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 158, p. 348, p. 379, p. 628.
- Introduction to the plant-life of the Oxford district. London, H. Milford, Oxford University Press, 1922-1925. url p. 107, p. 114, p. 97.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url .
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 209.
- Journal of applied microscopy and laboratory methods. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1901-1903] url p. 1503, p. 1573.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 12-13 1992-1993 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 217.
- Journal of forestry. Washington: Society of American Foresters, 1917- url p. 181, p. 187, p. 534, p. 544, p. 814.
- Journal of mammalogy. Baltimore, Md.: American Society of Mammalogists url p. 183, p. 184.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 13 1912 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 10, p. 231, p. 242, p. 301.
- Land planning and acquisition, U.S. Forest Service: and related material, Leon F. Kneipp; tape recorded interview conducted by Amelia R. Fry, Edith Mezirow and Fern Ingersoll in 1964-1965. Regional Oral History Office, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkele url .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url p. 2, p. 212, p. 245, p. 248, p. 267, p. 300, p. 300, p. 63, p. 66, p. 96.
- Lectures on forest policy. Second part: "Forestry conditions in the United States." s.p.: s.n., 1900-1950? url p. 11.
- Lectures on the evolution of plants, London, The Macmillan company, 1910 url , .
- Links with the past in the plant world, by A. C. Seward. Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url p. 95, p. 96, p. 98.
- Logging: the principles and general methods of operation in the United States / by Ralph Clement Bryant. London: Chapman & Hall, 1914, c1913. url p. 10, p. 581.
- Logging; the principles and general methods of operation in the United States, by Ralph Clement Bryant. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], 1913. url p. 581.
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement September 1989 UNESCO url .
- Manual of the trees of North America (exclusive of Mexico) by Charles Sprague Sargent, with seven hundred and eighty-three illustrations from drawings by Charles Edward Faxon and Mary W. Gill. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin company, 1922. url p. 61, p. 61, p. 909, p. 909.
- Maryland geological survey. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1901-1923. url p. 443.
- Menzies' journal of Vancouver's voyage, April to October, 1792 / edited with botanical and ethnological notes, by C.F. Newcombe and a biographical note by J. Forsyth. Victoria, B.C.: Printed by W.H. Cullin, 1923. url p. 146.
- Monograph of the Sesiidæ of America, north of Mexico. 1 1901 [New York]1901. url p. .
- Morphology of gymnosperms, Chicago, University of Chicago Press[c1917] url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 11, p. 129, p. 130, p. 61.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , p. 259.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 3.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 182, p. 182, p. 198, p. 198, p. 221, p. 63, p. 63.
- Nature and science on the Pacific coast: a guide-book for scientific travelers in the West / edited under the auspices of the Pacific coast committee of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; illustrated with nineteen text figures, twenty-nine half-tone plates and fourteen San Francisco: P. Elder, [c1915] url p. 163, p. 163, p. 285, p. 285.
- New species of Melyridae, Chrysomelidae and Tenebrionidae (Coleoptera) from the Pacific coast, with notes on other species, Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1921. url p. 196.
- North American forests and forestry: their relations to the national life of the American people / London: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1900. url , .
- North American trees (exclusive of Mexico and tropical United States) A handbook designed for field use, with plates and distribution maps. Ames, Iowa State University Press url p. 89.
- North American trees: being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies / New York: H. Holt and Co., 1908. url , .
- North American trees: guide to Charles F. Millspaugh Hall, by Samuel J. Record. Chicago, 1934. url p. 119, p. 31.
- North American trees; being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies; with the assistance of John Adolph Shafer. New YorkHolt1908 url p. 86, p. 88.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1961 San Diego, The Society. url p. 11.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 66.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 309.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 309.
- Old Plymouth trails / Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url .
- Old Plymouth trails / by Winthrop Packard. Boston: Small, Maynard, 1920. url p. 255.
- Old Plymouth trails, Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url p. 255.
- Old Plymouth trails, by Winthrop Packard... Boston, Small, Maynard & company[c1920] url p. 255.
- On growth and form / by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson. Cambridge: University Press; 1945. url p. 237.
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url p. 519, p. 521, p. 629, p. 652.
- Our national parks, Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1901. url p. 350.
- Our trees, how to know them: photographs from nature by Arthur I. Emerson, with a guide to their recognition at any season of the year and notes on their characteristics, distribution, and culture. PhiladelphaiJ.B. Lippincott url p. 294, p. xvii.
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 234, p. 235.
- Pacific States Floral Congress. [Papers] Edited by the Committee on Publication: Emory E. Smith [and others. San Francisco: Academy of sciences, 1901?] url p. 99.
- Pamphlets on forest protection. [1900?- url p. 20, p. 59.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 107, p. 108, p. 328, p. 64, p. 68.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 8.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Pennsylvania. [1900?- url .
- Pamphlets on forestry. History. [1900?- url p. 25.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 489.
- Plant ecology, by W. B. McDougall. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger url p. 245.
- Plant indicators: the relation of plant communities to process and practice. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1920 url p. 214, p. 217, p. 218, p. xiii.
- Plant materials of decorative gardening; the woody plants. Urbana, The author, 1921. url p. 11.
- Plant morphogenesis. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 513.
- Plant morphology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1953. url p. 342.
- Plant sociology; the study of plant communities; authorized English translation of Pflanzensoziologie, by Dr. J. Braun-Blanquet. Translated, revised and edited by George D. Fuller and Henry S. Conard. New York and London, McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1932. url p. 432.
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url .
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 507, p. 537.
- Plants and their uses; an introduction to botany, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1913. url .
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 17.
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 67, p. 69, p. 69.
- Popular studies of California wild flowers, San Francisco, Cal.: Upton bros. & Delzelle, [c1920] url p. 111.
- Practical botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 512.
- Practical botany by Joseph Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 512.
- Practical forestry for beginners in forestry, agricultural students, woodland owners, and others desiring a general knowledge of the nature of the art, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902. url p. 261.
- Practical forestry in the Pacific northwest: protecting existing forests and growing new ones, from the standpoint of the public and that of the lumberman, with an outline of technical methods / by E.T. Allen. Portland, Or.: Issued by the Western Forestry & Conservation Association, Office of the Forester, 421 Yeon Building, Portland, Oregon, 1911. url p. 65.
- Practical foresty; a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. LondonW. Rider[pref.1917] url p. 130.
- Preservation of the wild animals of North America, Washington, 1904 url .
- Principles of American forestry. New YorkWiley1903 url p. 229.
- Principles of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Bradley M. Davis. Boston; Ginn & Company, c1906. url p. 495, p. 495.
- Principles of botany, by Joseph Y. Bergen. .. and Bradley M. Davis. ... Boston, Ginn & company[c1906] url p. 495.
- Principles of plant physiology, by Oran Raber. New York, The Macmillan Co., 1938. url p. 34.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 1230, p. 57.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url , p. 1230, p. 174, p. 195, p. 415, p. 57, p. 60, p. 714.
- Proceedings. 3d ser.: Botany. San Francisco url , p. 103, p. 358, p. 83, p. 85, p. 87, p. 89, p. 91, p. 95, p. 97.
- Radioisotopes in biology and agriculture, principles and practice. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1955. url p. 224, p. 353.
- Record of my life-work in entomology / [by] C. R. Osten-Sacken. Cambridge, Mass.: University Press; John Wilson and Son, 1903-04. url p. 198.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url .
- Report of the second Norwegian Arctic Expedition in the "Fram", 1898-1902. Published by Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, at the expense of the Fridjof Nansen Fund for the Advancement of Science. KristianiaT.O. Brøgger1907-19 url , .
- Report on the big trees of California, Washington, Gov't print. off., 1900. url p. 7.
- Report on the forests of British East Africa. LondonPrinted for His Majesty's Stationery Off. by Darling1909 url p. 40.
- Rural California, by E. J. Wickson. New York, The Macmillan company, 1923. url p. 44.
- Save the redwoods, by John Muir. San Francisco, 1920 url p. 2.
- Saving California's redwoods, by J.D. Grant, excerpts from three addresses. .. I. At Eureka, California. II. At Palisades Interstate Park, New York. III. At Stanford University. Berkeley, Calif., Save the Redwoods League url , , p. 11, p. 6, p. 7.
- Saving the redwoods; an account of the movement during 1919 to preserve the redwoods of California. New York, Zoological Society url p. 92.
- Scale insects of the Santa Cruz peninsula. Stanford University: The University, 1920. url p. 29, p. 30, p. 31, p. 51, p. 54.
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 561.
- Seeding and planting; a manual for the guidance of forestry students, foresters, nurserymen, forest owners, and farmers, by James W. Toumey. .. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916. url p. 446, p. 446, p. 446.
- Selected botanical papers. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall url p. 204.
- Shade and ornamental trees of California, by Merritt B. Pratt, state forester. Sacramento?1922? url p. 132.
- Shorter contributions to general geology, 1921 / David White, chief geologist. Washington: G.P.O., 1922. url p. 211.
- Some plant galls of Illinois / by Glen S. Winterringer. Springfield, Ill.: Dept. of Registration and Education, 1961. url p. 49.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 393, p. 467.
- Stanford University publications. University series. Biological sciences. Stanford University, Calif.University Press, 1920-53. url p. 29, p. 30, p. 31, p. 51.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 599, p. 606.
- Studies on the plant cell. pt.1-8. Boston, Ginn and Co., 1904-1905 url , p. 264.
- Studies scientific & social / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan and co., limited, 1900. url p. 232, p. 233, p. 531.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 239, p. 379.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 290, p. 43.
- Textbook of botany [by] F.N. Transeau. .. H.C. Sampson. .. [and] L.H. Tiffany. .. New York, Harper & brothers[c1940] url p. 778.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1920] url p. 290, p. 290, p. 43, p. 43.
- The American woods: exhibited by actual specimens and with copious explanatory text / by Romeyn B. Hough. Lowville, N.Y.: Pub., and sections prepared by the author, 1910, c1888 url , p. 15, p. 16, p. 19, p. 19, p. 21, p. 46, p. 6, p. 64, p. 7, p. 7, p. 8.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 158, p. 215, p. 248, p. 309, p. 310, p. 49, p. 50, p. 72, p. 832, p. 873, p. 877.
- The California species of mealy bugs, by Gordon Floyd Ferris. .. Stanford University, Cal., The University, 1918. url p. 13, p. 52, p. 53.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , fig. 3 , p. 85, p. v.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url .
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url , p. 122, p. 563.
- The North American cup-fungi (inoperculates) New York, 1951. url p. 102, p. 395.
- The North American cup-fungi (operculates) By Fred Jay Seaver. New York, The author, 1942. url p. 70.
- The Northwest coast, by Richard L. Williams and the editors of Time-Life Books. New York, Time-Life Books[c1973] url p. 21.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 13.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 363, p. 435, p. 436, p. 724, p. 781, p. 784.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1004.
- The World's Protected Areas. Status, Values and Prospects in the 21st Century UNEP-WCMC url p. 52.
- The anatomy of woody plants, by Edward Charles Jeffrey. Chicago, Ill.: The University of Chicago Press,  url p. 340, p. 343, p. 343.
- The art & craft of garden making / Thomas H. Mawson. London: B.T. Batsford;  url p. 290.
- The art of the second growth, or American sylviculture / by C.A. Schenck. Albany: The Brandow Printing Co., 1912. url p. 27.
- The book of forestry, by Frederick Franklin Moon. New York [etc.]: D. Appleton and company, 1916. url p. 196, p. 283.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 412, p. 488.
- The broad-sclerophyll vegetation of California; an ecological study of the chaparral and its related communities. WashingtonCornegie Institution of Washington1922 url p. 21, p. 72.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 85.
- The continent we live on. Photos. by Eliot Porter [and others] New York: Random House,  url .
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url , p. 102, p. 118, p. 119, p. 173, p. 235, p. 4, p. 405, p. 407.
- The days of a man, being memories of a naturalist, teacher and minor prophet of democracy. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.World book company1922 url p. 369, p. 894.
- The days of a man: being memories of a naturalist, teacher, and minor prophet of democracy / Yonkers-on-Hudson, N. Y.: World Book Co., 1922. url .
- The embryology of Larix, Urbana, The University of Illinois Press, 1943. url p. 76.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The flora of the Cheyenne sandstone of Kansas. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url .
- The geography of plants / by M. E. Hardy. Oxford: Clarendon press, 1920. url p. 319.
- The human side of trees, wonders of the tree world, by Royal Dixon and Franklyn Everett Fitch, with four illustrations in colors and thirty-two in black-and-white. New York: Frederick A. Stokes company, [c1917] url p. 175.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 299.
- The important timber trees of the United States, a manual of practical forestry, for the use fo foresters, students and laymen in forestry, lumbermen, farmers and other land-owners, and all who contem BostonH. Mifflin1912 url , p. 228.
- The life of Sir Joseph Banks, president of the Royal society, with some notices of his friends and contemporaries, by Edward Smith, with a photogravure frontispiece and sixteen other illustrations. London: John Lane, 1911. url p. 145, p. 344.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 904.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The physiology of Stomata. Washington, Carnegie Inst., 1908. url p. 128, p. 142.
- The principal species of wood: their characteristic properties. By Charles Henry Snow. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], [c1908], 1910. url , p. 186, p. 187, p. 188.
- The principles of plant-teratology. London, The Ray Society, 1915-1916. url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 14 1902 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 106, p. 140, p. 141, p. 142, p. 143, p. 144, p. 146, p. 157, tab. D
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1181, p. 3153, p. 3154, p. 352, p. 380.
- The study of plant communities: an introduction to plant ecology. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1948. url p. 278.
- The textile fibres of commerce. A handbook on the occurrence, distribution, preparation, and uses of the animal, vegetable, and mineral fibres used in cotton, woollen, paper, silk, brush, and hat manufactures. By William I. Hannan. London: C. Griffin, 1902. url p. 138.
- The tree book. A popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation. By Julia Ellen Rogers. With sixteen plates in colour and one hundred and sixty in black-and-white from photographs by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page, 1912. url p. 576, p. 89.
- The tree book: A popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation / New York: Doubleday, Page, 1920. url p. 576, p. 89.
- The tree book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation / Garden City: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 575, p. 576, p. 89.
- The tree book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1913. url p. 89.
- The trees of California. San FranciscoCunningham, Curtis & Welch url p. 106, p. 14, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 48.
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url , p. 1093, p. 139, p. 1451, p. 688, p. 774, p. 93, p. 96, p. iv.
- The unity of the organism; or, The organismal conception of life, by William Emerson Ritter. .. Boston, R.G. Badger[c1919] url p. 405.
- The valuation of American timberlands, New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1921. url .
- The water relations of plants: a symposium of the British Ecological Society, London, 5-8 April 1961 / Edited by A. J. Rutter and F. H. Whitehead. New York: Wiley,  url p. 367.
- The western hemlock / by Edward T. Allen. Washington, [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1902. url p. 54.
- The wonder of life, London, A. Melrose, Ltd. url .
- The wonder of life, by Arthur Thomson. London, A Melrose, ltd.1914. url p. 153.
- The wonder of life, by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Henry Holt & co.,  url p. 153.
- Timber management: a programmatic environmental analysis record for BLM-administered lands in western Oregon / Office, 1974 url p. 50.
- Timber technicalities: being definitions of terms used in the home and foreign timber, mahogany and hardwood industries, the sawmill and woodworking trades, as well as those employed in connection with architecture and buil London: W. Rider url p. 120, p. 21.
- Timber. LondonConstable1908 url p. 108, p. 209.
- Timbers and their uses; a handbook for woodworkers, merchants, and all interested in the conversion and use of timber, London, E. P. Dutton & Co., 1919. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 63.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 1, p. 163.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 19 1979 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 101.
- Tree ancestors; a glimpse into the past, by Edward Wilber Berry. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1923. url p. 35, p. 42.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url , , p. 508.
- Trees and shrubs of the British Isles; native and acclimatised, LondonDent1909 url p. 210, p. 31.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 508.
- Trees and their life histories. Illustrated from photographs by Henry Irving. LondonCassell1909 url p. 121.
- Trees worth knowing / by Julia Ellen Rogers. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 290.
- Trees: a woodland notebook containing observations on certain British and exotic trees / by Sir Herbert Maxwell; illustrated with photographs by Mr. Henry Irving and others. Glasgow: James Maclehose and Sons, Publishers to the University, 1915. url p. 225.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture: 1949. url p. 15, p. 20, p. 767, p. 805, p. 937.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture, 1949 / the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office, 1949 url p. 15, p. 20, p. 767, p. 805, p. 937.
- Types of British vegetation, Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url .
- University of California publications in botany. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1902-2001. url p. 227, p. 239, p. 250, p. 259.
- V, p. x.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1024, p. 344, p. 391, p. 404, p. 429, p. 504, p. 848.
- Webster's practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. By A.D. Webster. .. London, W. Rider & Son, Limited[pref. 1905] url p. 49, p. 65.
- Western polypores, by William Alphonso Murrill. New York, The Author, 1915. url p. 5.
- What England can teach us about gardening, by Wilhelm Miller. .. illustrated with one hundred and twelve photographic plates and eight plates in color. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 153.
- With the flowers and trees in California, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrations of flowers in color, by Elizabeth Hallowell Saunders. New York: McBride, Nast, 1914. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 158, p. 164, p. 285.
- Wood and forest, by William Noyes... Peoria, Ill., Manual arts press, c url p. 100, p. 308.
- Wood, a manual of the natural history and industrial applications of the timbers of commerce. London, E. Arnold, 1902. url p. 122, p. 300.
- Wood-using industries of Pennsylvania. Harrisburg, Pa., W. S. Ray, state printer, 1914. url p. 32.
- Wood-using industries of Quebec, comp. by R.G. Lewis, B.SC.F., and J.A. Doucet, B.A. Ottawa, J. de Labroquerie Taché, printer to the King's most excellent Majesty, 1918. url p. 31.
- Wood; a manual of the natural history and industrial applications of the timbers of commerce. LondonE. Arnold1908 url p. 106.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 65, p. 79.
- Year book / Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1903- url p. 350, p. 43, p. 65.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 83.
- Zoogeography. A symposium presented on August 26-27, 1957 [under the prime auspices of the Pacific Section of the Society of Systematic Zoology] at the Stanford University joint meeting of the American Institute of Washington, 1958. url p. 311.
- Zoological Society bulletin. [New York]: New York Zoological Society. url p. 92.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Cheng Wan-chün, Fu Li-kuo & Chu Cheng-de. 1978. Cupressaceae. In: Cheng Wan-chün & Fu Li-kuo, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 7: 313-398.
- Schwarz, O. and H. Weide. 1962. Systematische Revision der Gattung Sequoia Endl. Feddes Repert. Spec. Nov. Regni Veg. 66: 159--192.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Farjon, A. & members of the Conifer Specialist Group 2006. Sequoia sempervirens. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 19, 2007:
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- GBIF-Spain, Dirección General de Investigación, Desarrollo Tecnológico e Innovación de la Junta de Extremadura(DGIDTI): HSS
- GBIF-Spain, Jardín Botánico de Córdoba: Herbarium COA
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Herbario SANT, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, SANT herbarium vascular plant collection
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2663794
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Con-3821
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:263741-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 33710
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 183435
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 263741-1
- IUCN ID: 241872
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PGTXO02010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: SESE3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 61648
- Liguo Fu, Yong-fu Yu, Robert P. Adams & Aljos Farjon "Cupressaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 62. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Frank D. Watson "Sequoia". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Sequoia sempervirens". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 166.250 meters (545.440 feet), Standard Deviation = 403.630 based on 499 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Farjon, A. & members of the Conifer Specialist Group 2006. Sequoia sempervirens. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]