Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Biscuit-Flower, Trumpet-Leaf, Trumpets, Umbrella-Trumpets, Watches, Yellow Pitcher Plant, Yellow Pitcherplant
Common Names in German:
Habit: Subshrub , Forb/herb
Flowers: Bloom Period: March. • Flower Color: yellow
Size: 24-36" tall.
bogs and wet savannas .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,273 meters (0 to 4,177 feet).
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs, Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands [more info]
Culture: Space 24-36" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 4.5 • Maximum pH: 6.0
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Sarracenia flava auct. non L. Ex Macfarl. P. P.
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 510 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Sarracenia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 166 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
S. ahlesii (Ahles' Pitcherplant) · S. alata (Pale Pitcher Plant) · S. alata f. pubescens (Tall Pitcher) · S. alata 'Green' (Tall Pitcher) · S. alata 'Orange Sunset' (Tall Pitcher) · S. areolata (Pitcherplant) · S. catesbaei (Catesby's Pitcherplant) · S. chelsonii (Chelson's Pitcherplant) · S. courtii (Court's Pitcherplant) · S. excellens (Pitcherplant) · S. exornata (Pitcherplant) · S. flava (Biscuit-Flower) · S. flava var. atropurpurea (Tall Pitcher) · S. flava var. cuprea 'Copper Lid' (Tall Pitcher) · S. flava var. maxima (Tall Pitcher) · S. flava var. ornata (Tall Pitcher) · S. flava 'All Green' (Tall Pitcher) · S. formosa (Pitcherplant) · S. gilpinii (Gilpin's Pitcherplant) · S. harperi (Harper's Pitcherplant) · S. leucophylla (Crimson Pitcherplant) · S. leucophylla var. pubescens (Tall Pitcher) · S. leucophylla 'Schnell's Ghost' (Schnell's Ghost White Topped Pitcher Plant) · S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' (Crimson Pitcherplant) · S. minor (Hooded Pitcher Plant) · S. minor 'Okefenokee Giant' (Giant Hooded Pitcher Plant) · S. mitchelliana (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. moorei (Moore's Pitcherplant) · S. oreophila (Green Pitcher Plant) · S. psittacina (Parrot Pitcher Plant) · S. purpurea (Common Pitcher Plant) · S. purpurea f. heterophylla (Pitcher) · S. purpurea gibbosa (Huntsman´s-Cup) · S. purpurea purpurea (Huntsman´s-Cup) · S. purpurea purpurea var. Purpurea (Purple Pitcher Plant) · S. purpurea var. burkii (Pitcher Plant) · S. purpurea var. montana (Purple Pitcherplant) · S. purpurea var. purpurea (Purple Pitcherplant) · S. purpurea venosa var. purpurea (Huntsman´s-Cup) · S. purpurea subsp. gibbosa (Purple Pitcherplant) · S. readii (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. rehderi (Rehder's Pitcherplant) · S. rubra (Sweet Pitcher Plant) · S. rubra alabamensis (Alabama Canebrake Pitcher Plant) · S. rubra gulfensis (Gulf Pitcherplant) · S. rubra jonesii (Mountain Sweet Pitcherplant) · S. rubra rubra (Sweet Pitcher Plant) · S. rubra wherryi (Wherry's Pitcherplant) · S. rubra subsp. alabamensis (Alabama Canebrake Pitcher-Plant) · S. rubra subsp. gulfensis (Gulf Pitcherplant) · S. rubra subsp. gulfensis 'Green' (Tall Pitcher) · S. rubra subsp. jonesii (Mountain Sweet Pitcher-Plant) · S. rubra subsp. wherryi (Wherry's Pitcherplant) · S. umlauftiana (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. wrigleyana (Scarlet Belle Pitcher Plant) · S. x (Ahles' Pitcherplant) · S. x ahlesii (Pitcher Plant) · S. x alava (Pitcher Plant) · S. x areolata (Pitcher Plant) · S. × catesbaei (Catesby's Pitcher Plant) · S. x chelsonii (Pitcher Plant) · S. × courtii (Court's Pitcherplant) · S. x excellens (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. x exornata (Pitcher) · S. x farnhamii (Pitcher Plant) · S. x formosa (Pitcher Plant) · S. x gilpinii (Pitcher Plant) · S. x harperi (Pitcher Plant) · S. x melanorhoda (Pitcher Plant) · S. x mineophila (Pitcher Plant) · S. x miniata (Pitcher Plant) · S. x mitchelliana (Pitcher Plant) · S. x moorei (Pitcher Plant) · S. × popei (Pope's Pitcherplant) · S. x pureophila (Pitcher Plant) · S. × readii (Read's Pitcherplant) · S. x rehderi (Pitcher Plant) · S. x swaniana (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. x umlauftiana (Pitcher Plant) · S. x willisii (Pitcher Plant) · S. x wrigleyana (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Abandoned Hope' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Adrian Slack' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Anxious Debate' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Big Mama' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Blackankle' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Blackened Redfish' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Black Tube' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Boob Tube' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Brook's Hybrid' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Brunswick Beauty' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Bug Pipes' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Bug Scoop' (Tall Pitcher) · S. 'Burgundy' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Carolina Cooler' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Case's Resolve' (Hybrid Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Chas' Brew' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Citronelli' (Pitcher) · S. 'Claret' (Pitcher Plant) · S. 'Cobra Nest' (Hybrid Pitcher Plant)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 1997 IUCN red list of threatened plants Cambridge: IUCN, World Conservation Union, 1998 url p. 544.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A catalogue of plants, growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Troy. / By John Wright, M.D., and James Hall, A.M. Troy: N. Tuttle, printer--Sign of the Lever Printing Press, 1836. url p. 8.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 139.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 664.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 436.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 601.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 851.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 370.
- A manual of the medical botany of North America, by Laurence Johnson. New York, Wood, 1884. url p. 85.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 6.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , , , , , , , , .
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url p. 67.
- An ecological study of prairie and forest invertebrates / by Charles C. Adams. Urbana, Ill.: Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History, 1915. url p. 277.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1293.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 201, p. 202, p. 202.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 313, p. 313, p. 313.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 103.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 233, p. 364, p. 404, p. 406, p. 408, p. 55, p. 58, p. 60, p. 64.
- Annual report / Florida State Geological Survey. Tallahassee, Fla.: Capital Pub. Co., state printer, url p. 236, p. 251.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 5 1894 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 130, p. 152, p. 203, p. 6.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 145.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 62.
- Annual wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants and seeds: cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, near New-York / William Prince & Sons, proprietors. New York: s.n., 1832 url p. 207.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 63 2006 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 1, p. 3, p. 4, p. 7.
- Bibliographical index to North American botany; or, Citations of authorities for all the recorded indigenous and naturalized species of the flora of North America, with a chronological arrangement of the synonymy. by Sereno Watson. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1878. url , p. 39.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 110, p. 170.
- Book of garden plans, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url .
- Botanica neglecta. William Young, jr. (of Philadelphia) "botaniste de Pensylvanie" and his long-forgotten book; being a facsimile reprint of his "Catalogue d'arbres arbustes et plantes herbacees d'Amerique" pub. in Pari With prefatory account of the author and critical notes by the ed., Samuel N. Rhoads. Philadelphia: Priv. print, 1916. url p. 55.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 227.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, by Rev. M. A. Curtis. Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 10.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 25 1936 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 105, p. 3.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 52, p. 97.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 30, p. 62, p. 71, p. 75.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 277, p. 602, p. 602, p. 602.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 32 1905 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 147, p. 22, p. 23, p. 332, p. 333, p. 371, p. 410, p. 416, p. 419, p. 458, p. 462, p. 483, p. 484, p. 515, p. 52, p. 55, p. 563, p. 566, p. 577, p. 598, p. 602, p. 628, p. 654, p. 679.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 30, p. 62.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 138.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 121, p. 210, p. 35.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Carnivorous plants and "the man eating tree" / by Sophia Prior. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1939. url , p. 4.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url , p. 1873.
- Catalogue of rare water lilies and other choice aquatic plants, Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, printers, 1885. url p. 18.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 987.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 987.
- Chapters in modern botany. New York, Scribner, 1893. url p. 8.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 305, p. 311.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 330, p. 338, p. 327.
- Collected papers on ants / by William Morton Wheeler. 1905-1907. url p. 415.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , , , , , .
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 184.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 5 1897-1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 527, p. 530.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 526.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 20 1804 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , p. 113, p. 43, p. 50, p. 87, p. 9, p. xxvii.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1615, p. 1616.
- Darwiniana: essays and reviews pertaining to Darwinism. New YorkAppleton1889 url p. 304, p. 328.
- Darwiniana; essays and reviews pertaining to Darwinism. By Asa Gray. New York, D. Appleton, 1876. url p. 304.
- Diptera Danica: genera and species of flies hitherto found in Denmark. Copenhagen, G.E.C. Gad, 1907-1927. url p. 147.
- Elements of botany: or, Outlines of the natural history of vegetables / by Benjamin Smith Barton. Philadelphia: Robert Desilver, 1827. url p. 315, p. 316, p. 317.
- Elements of ecology. New York, Wiley url p. 394.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url , , p. 15, p. 15, p. 150, p. 156, p. 191, p. 281, p. 281, p. 299, p. 299.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 128, p. 130, p. 132, p. 134, p. 139, p. 140, p. 177, p. 33, p. 77.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 653.
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url p. 176, p. 584.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 493, p. 493, p. 494, p. 494.
- Floral decorations for the dwelling house: A practical guide to the home arrangement of plants and flowers / Annie Hassard. London: Macmillan and co., 1875. url p. 134.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 253, p. 91.
- Florist's manual. .. [Boston]1833. url p. 239.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 566, p. 86.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp; New York, Harper & Brothers, 1899. url , .
- Forest conditions of Mississippi. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 163.
- Freaks and marvels of plant life; or, Curiosities of vegetation. London, Soc. for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1882. url p. 463, p. 74.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 250, p. 334, p. 354, p. 399, p. 456.
- Gardening for pleasure. a guide to the amateur in the fruit, vegetable, and flower garden, with full directions for the greenhouse, conservatory, and window garden. New York: Orange Judd, 1898, c1887. url p. 139.
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 347.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 347.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 310.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 310.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 987.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 501.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture. By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & company, 1910. url p. 464.
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 420.
- History of the Massachusetts horticultural society. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 420.
- Introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, 1819. url p. 149.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 168.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url , , , , , p. 119, p. 122, p. 14, p. 196, p. 80.
- Journal of the International Garden Club. New York, International garden club. url p. 174, p. 175.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 74.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 333.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 29.
- Lectures on the elements of botany. Part I. Containing the descriptive anatomy of those organs, on which the growth and preservation of the vegetable depend. By Anthony Todd Thomson, F. L. S.. .. Vol. I. London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, 1822. url p. 681.
- Letters of Asa Gray / Boston; Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1893. url .
- Letters of Asa Gray edited by Jane Loring Gray. Boston; New York: Houghton, Mifflin, 1894, c1893. url p. 642.
- Letters of Asa Gray, edited by Jane Loring Gray. ... Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1894. url p. 642.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 176.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , p. 122.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 20 1833 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url no. 1957, p. O - Z.
- Man and the biological world [by] J. Speed Rogers, Theodore H. Hubbell [and] C. Francis Byers; with illus. by William L. Brudon. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1952. url p. 203.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book Co., c1889. url p. 57.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 470.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , , , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , , p. 113, p. 114, p. 165.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 176.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 267, p. 297.
- My garden. By Eden Phillpotts. London, "Country life, " ltd. [etc.];1906. url p. 241.
- Natural area inventory of Hyde County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 152.
- Natural area inventory of Pamlico County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 102, p. 109, p. 79, p. 86.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 103, p. 22, p. 75, p. 90, p. 98.
- Natural areas inventory of Carteret County, North Carolina: for the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / [Raleigh]: N.C. Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, . url p. 130, p. 186, p. 199, p. 56, p. 76.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 299, p. 302.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 414, p. 414, p. 448, p. 449.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 341.
- New-England's rarities discovered in birds, beasts, fishes, serpents, and plants of that country. / By John Josselyn, gent.; With an introduction and notes by Edward Tuckerman, M.A. Boston: William Veazie, 1865. url p. 11.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 6 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 363, p. 391, p. 408.
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url p. 57.
- Physiological botany; I. Outlines of the histology of phaenogamous plants; II. Vegetable physiology. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, [c1885] url p. 347.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 117, p. 120, p. 124, p. 153, p. 154, p. 36, p. 37, p. 371, p. 38, p. 52, p. 58, p. 61, p. 62, p. 66, p. 68, p. 70, p. 72, p. 92.
- Plant Form OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS url p. 337, p. 43.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 530, p. 531.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 530.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 334.
- Plant-life; popular papers on the phenomena of botany, London, M. Japp & company, 1881. url p. x.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 155, p. 53.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url , p. 112, p. 112, p. iv.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 128, p. 128.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 255, p. 260, p. 340, p. 39, p. 42, p. 60, p. 684.
- Proceedings of the International Congress of Genetics. V. p. url p. 155, p. 156, p. 157, p. 158.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 80.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 470, p. 673.
- Report of work of the Experiment Station of the Hawaiian Sugar Planters' Association. Honolulu: Hawaiian Sugar Planters' Association, 1910-1943. url p. 119.
- Report upon cotton insects, prepared under the direction of the commissioner of agriculture in pursuance of an act of Congress approved June 19, 1878. By J. Henry Comstock, entomologist to the Department of agriculture. Washington, Gov't. print. off., 1879. url p. 206, p. 509, p. 509.
- Report. Chicago url p. 322.
- Resources of southern Alabama: a statistical guide for investors and settlers, with an exposition of some of the principles of economic geography / by Roland M. Harper. University, Ala.: Geological Survey of Alabama, . url p. 55, p. 68.
- Rock gardens: how to make and maintain them, London, Williams & Norgate, 1910. url p. 342.
- Sarcophaga and allies in North America, by J.M. Aldrich. .. LaFayette, Ind.[Murphey-Bivins Co. Press]1916. url p. 87.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 69, p. 703.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 211.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 493.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 141 1961 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 154, p. 298, p. 301, p. 302, p. 39, p. 466.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 315, p. 315.
- Southern wild flowers and trees, together with shrubs, vines and various forms of growth found through the mountains, the middle district and the low country of the South, by Alice Lounsberry, with plates, vignettes and diagrams by Mrs. E. Rowan, with an introduction by C. D. Beadle. New York, Stokes url p. 207.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 375.
- Textbook of botany [by] F.N. Transeau. .. H.C. Sampson. .. [and] L.H. Tiffany. .. New York, Harper & brothers[c1940] url p. 92.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 166, p. 167, p. 317, p. 75.
- The American journal of science. 28 1835 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 166, p. 167, p. 317, p. 442, p. 75.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 220.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 219.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1451, p. 335, p. 811.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , p. 117, p. 150, p. 160, p. 185, p. 203, p. 217, p. 218, p. 219, p. 259, p. 265, p. 267, p. 293, p. 296, p. 312, p. 327, p. 330, p. 340, p. 342, p. 346, p. 350, p. 363, p. 367, p. 369, p. 37, p. 38, p. 400, p. 407, p. 443, p. 446, p. 45, p. 46, p. 470, p. 494, p. 502, p. 506, p. 509, p. 516, p. 558, p. 559, p. 58, p. 587, p. 607, p. 78, p. 93.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , p. 124, p. 133, p. 169, p. 217, p. 217.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 248, p. 249, p. 315.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , p. 1098, p. 1138, p. 1139, p. 222, p. 546, p. 609, p. 704, p. 776, p. 791, p. 839, p. 867, p. 909, p. 914.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , , , , p. 107, p. 109, p. 117, p. 118, p. 12, p. 13, p. 155, p. 164, p. 171, p. 172, p. 18, p. 190, p. 195, p. 201, p. 238, p. 248, p. 273, p. 276, p. 280, p. 284, p. 290, p. 300, p. 322, p. 332, p. 351, p. 354, p. 354, p. 358, p. 360, p. 363, p. 382, p. 388, p. 40, p. 410, p. 422, p. 425, p. 455, p. 486, p. 487, p. 49, p. 499, p. 503, p. 510, p. 556, p. 581, p. 585, p. 598, p. 598, p. 627, p. 628, p. 642, p. 658, p. 665, p. 671, p. 676, p. 697, p. 702, p. 703, p. 717, p. 738, p. 759, p. 76, p. 790, p. 794, p. 803, p. 817, p. 83, p. 836, p. 88.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 363, p. 372, p. 391, p. 405, p. 408, p. 434, p. 436.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 214, p. 24, p. 25, p. 267, p. 404, p. 420, p. 424, p. 426, p. 455, p. 455, p. 462, p. 467, p. 486, p. 488, p. 506, p. 521.
- The Microscope. Ann Arbor: [s.n., 1881-1897] url p. 170.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 244, p. 246, p. 247, p. 91.
- The bacteriology of diphtheria, including sections on the history, epidemiology and pathology of the disease, the mortality caused by it, the toxins and antitoxins and the serum disease, by F. Loeffler, Arthur Newsholme, F. B. Mallory, G. S. Graham-Smith, George Dean, William H. Park, Charles F. Bolduan. Ed. by G. H. F. Nuttall and G. S. Graham-Smith Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1913 url p. 85.
- The biology of flowering plants, by Macgregor Skene. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1924. url p. 275.
- The book of water gardening; New York, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd., 1907. url p. 7.
- The book of water gardening; giving in full detail all the practical information necessary to the selection, grouping and successful cultivation of aquatic and other plants required in the making of a water garden and its surroun by Peter Bisset. New York: A. T. De La Mare printing and Pub. Co., ltd., 1907. url , p. 168.
- The botanist's repository: for new, and rare plants: containing coloured figures of such plants, as have not hitherto appeared in any similar publication: with all their essential characters, botanically arranged, after the sexual system of the celebrated Linnaeus: in English and Latin: To each description is added, a short history of the plant, as to its time of flowering, culture, native place of growth, when introduced, and by whom /The whole executed by Henry Andrews. 6 1797-1811 London: The author, 1797-[1811?] url , description of plate CCL
- The botanists of Philadelphia and their work. Philadelphia[T.C. Davis]1899 url p. 19, p. 453.
- The carnivorous plants, by Francis Ernest Lloyd. .. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Company, 1942. url p. 17, p. 21, p. 29, p. 30, p. 31, p. 33, p. 35, p. 37, p. 39, p. 46, p. 77.
- The causes and course of organic evolution; a study in bioenergics by John Muirhead Macfarlane. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1918. url p. 182.
- The garden... London, 1872- url , , p. 267, p. 293, p. 370, p. 559, p. 607.
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url , p. 162.
- The native flowers and ferns of the United States in their botanical, horticultural and popular aspects / Boston: L. Prang and Company, 1878- url , , .
- The plant community [by] Herbert C. Hanson [and] Ethan D. Churchill. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 213, p. 65.
- The principles of biology / by J.I. Hamaker. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Sons & Co., 1913. url p. 97.
- The sagacity & morality of plants; a sketch of the life & conduct of the vegetable kingdom, by J.E. Taylor. London, Chatto and Windus, 1884. url p. 269.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2667, p. 3080, p. 3081.
- The unheated greenhouse, by K. L. Davidson. [London]"Country life, " ltd. [etc.]1907. url p. 119, p. 247.
- Thornton, R. J. New illustration of the sexual system of Carolus von Linnaeus: and the temple of Flora, or garden of nature. 1807 London: 1807. url , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url , p. 109, p. 114, p. 123, p. 123, p. 154, p. 170, p. 196, p. 200, p. 200, p. 265, p. 281, p. 58, p. 73.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, 1899- url p. 427, p. 428, p. 433.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 495.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 286.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. 12 1818 London: [The Society], 1791-1875. url p. 48, p. 51.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 295, p. 47.
- Travels through that part of North America formerly called Louisiana. / By Mr. Bossu, captain in the French Marines.; translated from the French, by John Reinhold Forster, F.A.S.; illustrated with notes relative chiefly to natural history; to which is added by the tran London: Printed for T. Davies, 1771. url p. 40.
- What England can teach us about gardening, by Wilhelm Miller. .. illustrated with one hundred and twelve photographic plates and eight plates in color. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 80.
- Wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants, and seeds, cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and nurseries, near New-York. William Prince, proprietor. .. New-York, Printed by T. and J. Swords, 1827. url p. 157.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Schnell, D., Catling, P., Folkerts, G., Frost, C., Gardner, R., et al. 2000. Sarracenia flava. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 19, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2647932
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-21996
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:790137-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 410910
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 21996
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 790137-1
- IUCN ID: 240702
- MoBot NameID: 28900009
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: SAFL4
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 61487
- Mean = 74.630 meters (244.849 feet), Standard Deviation = 170.560 based on 153 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Schnell, D., Catling, P., Folkerts, G., Frost, C., Gardner, R., et al. 2000. Sarracenia flava. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]