Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Celery Pine, Celery-Pine, Mountain Toatoa, New Zealand Celery Pine, Tanekaha
Common Names in Maori:
Mountain Toatoa, Tanekaha
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: n/a • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Size: 20-30' tall.
Culture: Space 4-6' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Partial to Full Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Cronquist, Takhtajan & W. Zimmermann, 1966
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Infraphylum: Gymnospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Spermatophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Cronquist, Takhtajan & W. Zimmermann, 1966 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Phyllocladus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 2 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 77.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 230.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 508.
- A handbook of Coniferae, including Ginkgoaceæ, by W. Dallimore and A. Bruce Jackson. With drawings by Miss G. Lister. New York, Longmans, Green, 1923. url p. 142, p. 34, p. 35.
- A preliminary catalogue of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop museum of Polynesian ethnology and natural history. .. Honolulu, 1892-93. url p. 37.
- A research on the pines of Australia, Sydney, W. A. Gullick, government printer, 1910. url p. 431.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A student's text-book of botany. London, Sonnenschein, 1894. url p. 12.
- A supplement to Gordon's Pinetum: containing descriptions and additional synonymes of all the coniferous plants not before enumerated in that work; with corrections up to the present time / by George Gordon. London: H. G. Bohn, 1862. url p. 43.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 77.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 41, p. 91.
- Commercial botany of the nineteenth century. A record of progress in the utilisation of vegetable products in the United Kingdom, and the introduction of economic plants into the British colonies, during the present century. London [etc.]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1890. url .
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 218.
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 201, p. 562.
- Fossil plants: for students of botany and geology / Cambridge: University Press, 1898-1919. url .
- Fossil plants; a text-book for students of botany and geology, by A. C. Seward. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1898-1919. url p. xiii.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture. By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & company, 1910. url p. 326.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 2 1853 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 235, p.
- Hortus Mortolensis: enumeratio plantarum in Horto Mortolensi cultarum = Alphabetical catalogue of plants growing in the garden of the late Sir Thomas Hanbury. .. at La Mortola, Ventimiglia, Italy / compiled by Alwin Berger. London: West, Newman, 1912. url p. 419.
- Illustrations of the New Zealand flora / edited by T.F. Cheeseman with the assistance of W.B. Hemsley; the plates drawn by Matilda Smith. Wellington: John Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1914. url p. 199, p. 289, p. 545, p. 562.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 33.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 131.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 623.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 922.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1107, p. 658.
- Morphology of spermatophytes, by John M. Coulter. .. and Charles J. Chamberlain. .. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1901. url p. 61.
- New Zealand plants and their story. By L. Cockayne. .. Wellington, N.Z., M.F. Marks, Govt. Printer, 1919. url p. 61, p. 77.
- New Zealand plants suitable for North American gardens. By Dr. L. Cockayne. .. Panama Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco, U. S. A., February-December, 1915. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Government Printer, 1914. url p. 6.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 9 1999 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 341.
- Outlines of classification and special morphology of plants, by K. Goebel. A new ed. of Sachs' Text-book of botany, book II, authorized English translation by Henry E. F. Garnsey; rev. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. With 407 woodcuts. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 321.
- Pamphlets on the lumber industry. [1900?- url p. 110.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 480.
- Plants of New Zealand / Christchurch: Whitcombe and Tombs, 1906. url .
- Plants of New Zealand, by R.M. Laing, and E.W. Blackwell. Christchurch, Wellington, and Dunedin, N.Z. [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs, 1907. url p. 76, p. 78.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 38, p. 39, p. 82.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 19 1897 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 854.
- Report on the Natal forests. .. [S.l.: s.n.], 1889. url p. 186.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 376.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 237, p. 396.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 14.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 66.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 509, p. 66.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 9.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 470, p. 548.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1178, p. 198, p. 658.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 110, p. 375, p. 427, p. 501, p. 57, p. 696, p. 754, p. 818, p. 97.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 404.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 273.
- The distribution of the vegetation and flora of New Zealand. By L. Cockayne. Nelson, N.Z., R.W. Stiles & Co., Printers, 1920 url p. 47.
- The handbook to the flower garden and greenhouse / by George Glenny. London: W. Kent, 1859. url p. 219.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 236, p. 310.
- The pinetum: being a synopsis of all the coniferous plants at present known, with descriptions, history and synonyms, and a comprehensive systematic index. LondonH.G. Bohn [etc.]1880 url p. 193, p. 193.
- Timbers and their uses; a handbook for woodworkers, merchants, and all interested in the conversion and use of timber, London, E. P. Dutton & Co., 1919. url , .
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url , p. 155, p. 177, p. 216, p. 236, p. 239, p. 242, p. 245, p. 247, p. 249, p. 25, p. 272, p. 283, p. 31, p. 320, p. 363, p. 364, p. 370, p. 378, p. 378, p. 379, p. 380, p. 380, p. 381, p. 382, p. 40, p. 407, p. 433, p. 452, p. 453, p. 454, p. 527, p. 60, p. 96, p. 99.
- Travels in New Zealand with contributions to the geography, geology, botany, and natural history of that country / by Ernst Dieffenbach. London: J. Murray, 1843. url p. 188, p. 307, p. 427.
- Veitch's manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order, a synopsis of the species cultivated in Great Britain, their botanical history, economic properties, place and use in arboriculture, etc. Chelsea [England]: James Veitch & Sons, 1900. url p. 122, p. 124, p. 124.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. Phyllocladus trichomanoides. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 27, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2669900
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Con-2542
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14706004
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:262608-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 28140
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 505862
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID:
- IUCN ID: 232336
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PHTR7
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 55943Last Revised: 7/15/2012