or semievergreen, rarely deciduous in dry season
. Xylem with aromatic
resin in intercellular
resin canals. Branchlets
, sometimes annular
. Leaves simple
, alternate; stipules persistent
, large or small; leaf blade
veins pinnate, margin
entire or sinuate-crenate. Inflorescences few- or many-flowered, terminal
or panicles; flowers usually sweetly scented; bracts usually fugacious
and minute, rarely persistent and large. Inflorescences, calyces, petals, ovary, and other parts usually with stellate
, fascicled or free-standing hairs
. Flowers bisexual
, contorted. Calyx lobes
, imbricate in bud if not united. Petals 5, adnate
at base. Stamens (10-) 15 to many, free from or connate to petals; filaments
at base; anthers
2-celled, with 2 pollen sacs
(Chinese species) ; connective
or stout. Ovary superior, rarely semi-inferior, slightly immersed
in torus, usually 3-loculed, each locule 2-, rarely many ovuled; ovules pendulous, lateral or anatropous
. Fruit usually nutlike, sometimes capsular
and 3-valved, 1(to many) -seeded, with persistent, variously accrescent
calyx of which 2 or more lobes are usually developed into lorate
. Seed exalbuminous
; cotyledons fleshy
, equal or unequal, applanate
or folded or cerebriform
, entire or laciniate
; radicle directed toward hilum
, usually included
About 17 genera and 550 species: tropical Africa, Asia, and South America (in Asia, most species and genera in NW Borneo) ; five genera and 12 species (one endemic, one introduced ) in China.
, lofty, emergent, with grayish brown to orange flaky
, prominently lenticellate
oily white resin, with stout buttresses. Stipules large, enclosing terminal
bud, finally caducous
and leaving an annular
; leaf blade
in bud and ± corrugate when opened; lateral
veins pinnate, straight; tertiary veins subscalariform, conspicuous
entire or sinuate-crenate. Raceme
3-9-flowered, hardly branched. Flowers large, sweetly scented. Calyx with urceolate
or cup-shaped free
; sepals valvate
, unequal. Petals white or with a reddish median
pubescent especially on parts exposed in bud. Anthers
, equivalved; connective
. Ovary narrowly ovoid
, pubescent; style filiform; stigma slightly dilated
. Fruit nutlike, enclosed in accrescent
calyx tube; winglike calyx lobes 2, erect
. Seed adnate
of pericarp; cotyledons large, thick, unequal; radicle inconspicuous.
About 70 species: Cambodia, China, India, W Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam; two species (one introduced ) in China.
Biome: Terrestrial .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Malvanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Dipterocarpus jourdainii • Dipterocarpus laevis
Publishing author : C.F.Gaertn. Publication : Suppl. Carp . 51 (t. 188, f. 1) 1805 [24-26 Jun 1805]
Members of the genus Dipterocarpus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 0 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Simple key to one hundred common trees of Burma / Rangoon: Govt. Printer, 1922. url , .
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 114.
- A manual of Indian timbers: an account of the structure, growth, distribution, and qualities of Indian woods. CalcuttaOffice of the Superintendent of Govt. Printing1881 url p. 31, p. 32.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, functions, classification, properties and uses of plants. London, John Churchill, 1861. url p. 474.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 128.
- A manual of the Nílagiri district in the Madras Presidency. Compiled and edited by H. B. Grigg. Madras, Printed by E. Keys at the Government Press, 1880. url p. 105, p. 143.
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url .
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 203.
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 493.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 91.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1253.
- Annual record of science and industry. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1872- url p. 341.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 277, p. 419.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1911 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 17.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 170, p. 7, p. 81.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , , .
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 282.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 11, p. 257.
- Conservation and sustainable management of trees, report of the third regional workshop, held at Army Hotel, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 18-21 August, 1997 WCMC url p. 117.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 208, p. 24, p. 25, p. 416, p. 418, p. 421, p. 426, p. 449, p. 467, p. 522.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 19.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 19.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 239, p. 304, p. 333.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1274.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 3753.
- Hooker, J. D. & T. Thomson Flora indica: being a systematic account of the plants of British India, together with observations on the structure and affinities of their natural orders and genera /by J.D. Hooker and Thomas Thomson. 1855 London: W. Pamplin, 1855. url p. 244, p. 266.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 125, p. 126.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 285, p. 39.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 336.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 20, p. 65.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 42 1904 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 223.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 83.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 309, p. 320.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 312, p. 464.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 108, p. 692.
- Notes on Siamese timber suitable for building purposes / Bangkok: [s.n.], 1908. url .
- On the culture and commerce of cotton in India and elsewhere; with an account of the experiments made by the Hon. East India Company up to the present time. London: Smith, Elder, 1851. url p. 600.
- Preliminary report on the forest and other vegetation of Pegu. CalcuttaC.B. Lewis, Baptist Mission Press1875 url p. xvii.
- Science papers, chiefly pharmacological and botanical. By Daniel Hanbury. .. Ed., with memoir, by Joseph Ince. .. London, Macmillan, 1876. url p. 118.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 10, p. 197.
- Sylviculture in the tropics. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 28.
- Systematic list of the trees, shrubs and woody-climbers of the Bombay Presidency / by W.A. Talbot. Bombay: Printed at the Govt. Central Press, 1894. url p. 17.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 243.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 195.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 31 1895-1897 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 26, p. 27, p. 28, p. 33, p. 34, p. 36, p. 4, p. 60.
- The Philippine journal of science. 6 1911 Manila. url p. 247, p. 514.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 61, p. 613, p. 693, p. 702.
- The World List of Threatened Trees WCMC, IUCN url p. 186.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 499, p. 500, p. 501, p. 502.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url p. 84.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url , .
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 171.
- The medicinal plants of the PHilippines, by T. H. Pardo de Tavera. .. tr. and rev. by Jerome B. Thomas, jr. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.1901. url , , .
- The medicinal plants of the Philippines / by T. H. Pardo de Tavera; translated and revised by Jerome B. Thomas. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., 1901. url p. 246, p. 252, p. 255, p. 256, p. 40, p. xiii.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 151, p. 197, p. 80.
- The work of the Forest Department in India. Ed. by R.S. Troup. .. Calcutta, Superintendent Government Printing, India, 1917. url p. 22, p. 57.
- The work of the Forest department in India. Calcutta, Superintendent government printing, India, 1917. url .
- Timber technicalities: being definitions of terms used in the home and foreign timber, mahogany and hardwood industries, the sawmill and woodworking trades, as well as those employed in connection with architecture and buil London: W. Rider url p. 59.
- Timber. LondonConstable1908 url p. 177, p. 339.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 286, p. 365.
- Vegetable technology; a contribution towards a bibliography of economic botany, with a comprehensive subject-index. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. Founded upon the collections of George James Symons, F. R. S. London, Pub. for the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. [etc.]1882. url p. 164, p. 287.
- Tong Shaoquan & Tao Gouda. 1990. Dipterocarpaceae. In: Li Hsiwen, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 50(2): 113-131.
- Ashton, P. 1998. Dipterocarpus turbinatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 1830320
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:320776-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 320776-1
- IUCN ID: 205747
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1021228
- Xi-wen Li, Jie Li & Peter S. Ashton "Dipterocarpaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 48. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Dipterocarpus". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 48. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Ashton, P. 1998. Dipterocarpus turbinatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]