Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Monterey Cypress, Monterrey Cypress
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Spanish:
, monoecious or dioecious. Leaves decussate or in whorls of 3, scalelike and then often dimorphic
with flattened facial leaves and keeled
leaves, or needlelike particularly in juvenile plants
, often with an abaxial
. Pollen cones terminal
, solitary, maturing and shed annually; microsporophylls
6-16, decussate or whorled
, each bearing (2 or) 3-6(-9) pollen sacs
; pollen wingless. Seed cones usually terminal, solitary, globose
, or oblong
or indehiscent when mature
in 1st or 2nd(or 3rd) year; cone scales developing after ovules originate in bract axils; bracts almost completely enveloped by cone scales, free
only at apex; ovules 1-numerous per bract axil, erect
; cone scales of mature cones 3-16, flat or peltate, woody, leathery, or succulent, 1-20-seeded. Seeds winged
or not; wings
derived from seed coat
. Cotyledons usually 2, rarely 3-6. Germination epigeal.
Nineteen genera and ca. 125 species: worldwide; eight genera (one introduced ) and 46 species (16 endemic, 13 introduced) in China.
or large shrubs
, in decussate arrays (or partially comblike in Cupressus macnabiana ). Leaves opposite in 4 ranks
to divergent, scalelike, rhomboid
portion of long-shoot leaves to 4 mm; abaxial
present or absent. Pollen cones with 4--10 pairs of sporophylls, each sporophyll with 3--10 pollen sacs
. Seed cones maturing in 1--2 years, generally persisting closed
many years or until opened by fire, globose
, 1--4 cm; scales
, 3--6 pairs, valvate
, peltate, thick and woody. Seeds 5--20 per scale, lenticular
, narrowly 2-winged; cotyledons 2--5. x
Species 10--26: warm north temperate regions .
The genus Cupressus in North America consists mainly of small, disjunct , relictual populations, many differing from related populations in color and size of leaves and seeds, activity of leaf glands , glaucousness of various parts, form of growth, and characteristics of bark . Disagreements on the number and rank of taxa reflect these variations . This treatment, with seven taxa, approaches the more conservative end of a spectrum; anywhere from 6 to 15 taxa---species, subspecies , and varieties---might be accepted in the flora . The taxonomy of the genus would benefit from detailed studies of variation in and among populations (cf. J. F. Goggans and C. E. Posey 1968).
The Mediterranean Cupressus sempervirens Linnaeus, usually with a fastigiate habit, is commonly cultivated in California, often away from dwellings, but it does not appear to have become naturalized . Other introduced Eurasian and Mexican species are clearly associated with cultivated landscapes.
Species Cupressus macrocarpa
Trees to 25 m ; crown generally broadly spreading , especially on exposed headlands, fairly sparse, often composed of few major limbs from near ground , more upright in sheltered locations. Bark rough, fibrous . Branchlets decussate, 1.5--2 mm diam. Leaves without gland or sometimes with inconspicuous, shallow, pitlike, abaxial gland that does not produce drop of resin, not glaucous. Pollen cones 4--6 ´ 2.5--3 mm; pollen sacs 6--10. Seed cones oblong , 2.5--4 cm, grayish brown, not glaucous; scales 4--6 pairs, smooth , umbo nearly flat at maturity. Seeds mostly 5--6 mm, dark brown, not glaucous. 2 n = 22. [source]
Size: over 40' tall.
Coastal bluffs ; of conservation concern; 5--35 m .
Culture: Space 12-15' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Burnett
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Cupressus hartwegii Carrière • Cupressus lambertiana hort. ex Carrière • Cupressus macrocarpa var. lambertiana (Carrière) Mast.
Members of the genus Cupressus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 53 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. arizonica (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica arizonica var. arizonica (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica Greene var. glabra (Sudw.) Little (Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica nevadensis (Piute Cypress) · C. arizonica stephensonii (Cuyamaca Cypress) · C. arizonica var. Blue Ice (Blue Arizona Cypress) · C. arizonica var. glabra 'Carolina Sapphire' (Carolina Sapphire Cypress) · C. arizonica var. montana (San Pedro Martir Cypress) · C. arizonica var. montana 'Blue Column' (San Pedro Martir Cypress) · C. arizonica var. nevadensis (Piute Cypress) · C. arizonica var. stephensonii (Cuyamaca Cypress) · C. arizonica 'Blue Pyramid' (Blue Pyramid Cypress) · C. arizonica 'Carolina Sapphire' (Carolina Sapphire Cypress) · C. bakeri (Baker's Cypress) · C. bakeri matthewsii (Siskiyou Cypress) · C. cashmeriana (Kashmir Cypress) · C. chengiana (Chengs Cypress) · C. duclouxiana (Chinese Cypress) · C. dupreziana (Saharan Cypress) · C. dupreziana var. atlantica (Atlas Cypress) · C. funebris (Chinese Weeping Cypress) · C. glabra arizonica (Arizona Smooth Cypress) · C. glabra 'Carolina Sapphire' (Arizona Cypress) · C. glabra 'Chaparral' (Arizona Cypress) · C. glabra 'Silver Smoke' (Silver Smoke Arizona Cypress) · C. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana Gordon var. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana pygmaea (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana var. abramsiana (Santa Cruz Cypress) · C. goveniana var. goveniana (Gowen Cypress) · C. goveniana var. pygmaea (Pygmy Cypress) · C. guadalupensis (Forbes Cypress) · C. guadalupensis var. forbesii (Tecate Cypress) · C. lusitanica (Cedar of Goa) · C. macnabiana (Macnab Cypress) · C. macnabiana A.Murray bis var. bakeri (Jeps.) Jeps. (Fragrant Cypress) · C. macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Goldcrest' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Golden Pillar' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Greenstead Magnificent' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Lutea' (Monterey Cypress) · C. macrocarpa 'Saligna Aurea' (Monterey Cypress) · C. sargentii (Sargent Cypress) · C. sempervirens (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens f. horizontalis (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens f. sempervirens (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens var. stricta (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Glauca' (Blue Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Green Pencil' (Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Monshel' (Tiny Tower® Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Swane's Golden' (Swane's Golden Italian Cypress) · C. sempervirens 'Totem' (Dwarf Italian Cypress) · C. torulosa (Himalayan Cypress)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The lichen flora of the Santa Cruz Peninsula, California. By Albert W. C. T. Herre. Baltimore, Md., Washington academy of sciences url .
- A Manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order; a synopsis of the hardy kinds cultivated in Great Britain; their place and use in horticulture, etc., etc. [London]: James Veitch & Sons, 1881. url p. 234, p. 324, p. 327, p. 349.
- A New Zealand naturalist's calendar and notes by the wayside. Dunedin: R.J. Stark, 1909. url p. 88.
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 108.
- A catalogue of the forest trees of the United States which usually attain a height of sixteen feet or more, with notes and brief descriptions of the more important species, illustrating the collection Prepared by Geo. Vasey, M. D. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1876. url .
- A college text-book of Botany, being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary Botany." New York, Holt, 1905. url p. 639.
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 639.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 36.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 431.
- A discussion of Australian forestry: with special references to forestry in Western Australia, the necessity of an Australian forest policy, and notices of organised forestry in other parts of the world / by D. E. Hutchins. Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1916. url p. 251, p. 252, p. 258, p. 83.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 60.
- A handbook of Coniferae, including Ginkgoaceæ, by W. Dallimore and A. Bruce Jackson. With drawings by Miss G. Lister. New York, Longmans, Green, 1923. url p. 208, p. 553, p. 9.
- A manual of dangerous insects likely to be introduced in the United States through importations. Ed. by W. Dwight Pierce, entomologist, southern field crop insect investigations. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1918. url p. 94.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 274.
- A manual of the Coniferae, containing a general review of the order; a synopsis of the hardy kinds cultivated in Great Britain; their place and use in horticulture, etc., etc. With numerous woodcuts and illustrations. Chelsea, 1881. url , , .
- A manual of the North American gymnosperms, exclusive of the cycadales but together with certain exotic species, by David Pearce Penhallow. Boston, Ginn, 1907. url p. 235, p. 76.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url p. 1007, p. 979.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 167.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url , p. 346, p. 558.
- About trees, shrubs, and climbing plants for South Africa; concise hints on the making of farm plantations, shrubberies. .. Maritzburg, 1919. url p. 45.
- Age and area; a study in geographical distribution and origin of species, by J. C. Willis, with chapters by Hugo de Vries, H. B. Guppy, Mrs. E. M. Reid, James Small. Cambridge [Eng.]The University Press, 1922. url p. 113, p. 231, p. 254, p. 88.
- American forest trees, by Henry H. Gibson; ed. by Hu Maxwell. Chicago, Hardwood record, 1913. url , p. 12, p. 139, p. 141, p. 141.
- American forest trees; edited by Hu Maxwell. ChicagoHardwood Record1913 url , p. 139.
- American forestry. Washington, D.C.: American Forestry Association, 1910-1923. url p. 604, p. 756, p. 949.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 604, p. 756, p. 949.
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 407.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 72.
- An outline of plant geography, by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 138, p. 313.
- Annals of horticulture in North America for the year 1893. A witness of passing events and a record of progress. Comprising and account of the horticulture of the Columbian exposition, by L. H. Bailey. New York, Judd, c1894. url p. 193.
- Beautiful and rare trees & plants. London, C. Scribner's Sons[pref. 1903] url , , , , .
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 8.
- Biochemical systematics [by] Ralph E. Alston [and] B. L. Turner. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall url p. 246.
- Biological lectures delivered at the Marine Biological Laboratory of Wood's Holl [sic]. Boston, Ginn & Co. url p. 180, p. 180, p. 187, p. 187.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 270, p. 84.
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 113.
- Botany for high schools and colleges / by Charles E. Bessey. New York: H. Holt, 1883, c1880. url p. 411.
- Botany. By W. H. Brewer, Sereno Watson, and Asa Gray. Boston, Little, Brown, 1880. url p. 113.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass.Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 113.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 132, p. 42.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 19.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 1086, p. 207, p. 515, p. 521, p. 669.
- Bulletin / Arizona Agricultural Experiment Station. Tucson: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Arizona, 1890-1960. url p. 627, p. 97.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 108.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 81, p. 88.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 204.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1913 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 112, p. 172, p. 172, p. 217, p. 247, p. 269, p. 271, p. 304, p. 337, p. 345.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Society, url , p. 30, p. 7.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 263.
- Bulletin of the Geological Society of America. [New York: The Society], 1890-1960. url p. 82.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 32, p. 70.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url , , p. 5, p. 8.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 148, p. 248, p. 252, p. 265, p. 310, p. 318.
- Canadian trees worth knowing. Toronto, Musson url p. 271, p. 285.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 10.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 126, p. 129, p. 413, p. 48.
- Catalogue of the plants under cultivation in the Government Botanic Garden, Adelaide, South Australia / Adelaide: W.C. Cox, government printer, 1878. url .
- Check list of the forest trees of the United States: their names and ranges / by George B. Sudworth. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Agriculture, Forestry Division, 1898. url p. 117, p. 31.
- Chloroplast pigments and chromatographic analysis. University Park, Pennsylvania State University url p. 136.
- Colonsay, one of the Hebrides, its plants: their local names and usses--legends, ruins, and place-names--Gaelic names of birds, fishes, etc.--climate, geological formation, etc. By Murdoch McNeill. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1910. url p. 69, p. 70, p. 74.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 313.
- Coniferous trees for profit & ornament: being a concise description of each species and variety, with the most recently approved nomenclature, list of synonyms, and best methods of cultivation / by A. D. Webster. London: Constable and Co., 1918. url , , , , .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 434, p. 442.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 52 2005 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 17, p. 33, p. 514.
- Contributions to Canadian palæontology. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1885-1910. url .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1030, p. 1842.
- Dictionary of German and English forestterms. NeudammJ. Neumann[vorwort1900] url .
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 367, p. 764.
- Dudley memorial volume, containing a paper by William Russel Dudley and appreciations and contributions in his memory by friends and colleagues. .. Stanford University, Cal., The University, 1913. url , , .
- Dwarf and slow-growing conifers, by Murray Hornibrook. London, "Country Life", 1923. url p. 59.
- Elementary notes on conifers. LondonOxford University Press1920 url p. 23, p. 23.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 489.
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. 3 1895 Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 149, p. 182.
- Essays in geobotany in honor of William Albert Setchell, edited by T.H. Goodspeed. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1936. url p. 107.
- Eucalyptus, Los Angeles, Cal., B. R. Baumgardt & co., 1895. url p. 119.
- Eucalyptus, by Abbot Kinney. Los Angeles, Cal., B.R. Baumgardt, 1895. url p. 119.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 143, p. 156, p. 220, p. 31, p. 63.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 411, p. 568.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 411, p. 568.
- Flora of southern and Lower California. A check-list of the flowering plants and ferns / by Charles Russell Orcutt. San Diego, Cal., 1885. url .
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , .
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 193, p. 526, p. 552.
- Forest trees of the Pacific slope, by George B. Sudworth. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1908 url p. 4.
- Forest trees of the Pacific slope. By George B. Sudworth. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1908. url p. 158, p. 4.
- Forestry for woodmen / by C. O. Hanson. Oxford: At the Clarendon press, 1911. url p. 26.
- Forestry for woodmen, by C. O. Hanson. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1921. url p. 26.
- Forestry for woodmen. OxfordClarendon Press1921 url p. 26.
- Forestry in South Africa, by D.E. Hutchins. .. n.p., 1905? url p. 7.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca, N.Y. [etc.] url p. 214, p. 362, p. 6.
- Forestry work, London, T. F. Unwin, ltd url p. 128, p. 189.
- Forestry work. LondonT.F. Unwin url p. 128.
- Forests, woods and trees in relation to hygiene, by Augustine Henry. New York, Dutton, 1919. url p. 121, p. 128, p. 146, p. 307.
- Fossil plants; a text-book for students of botany and geology, by A. C. Seward. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1898-1919. url p. 494, p. 613.
- Fruit and its cultivation; the cultivation of all kinds of hardy fruits in garden and orchard. London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url p. 324.
- Fruit farming: practical and scientific, for commercial fruit growers and others. London, The Lockwood press, 1921. url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 241, p. 245, p. 298, p. 346, p. 438, p. 445, p. 484, p. 522, p. 64, p. 82.
- Gardening difficulties solved: expert answers to amateurs' questions / edited by H.H. Thomas. New York: Funk & Wagnalls Co., 1910. url p. 143.
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 888.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url , .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1271, p. 247, p. 253, p. 298, p. 300, p. 302, p. 314.
- Gymnosperms; structure and evolution, by Charles Joseph Chamberlain. .. with 397 figures. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press url p. 233, p. 234, p. 235, p. 284, p. 285, p. 292.
- Hand-list of Coniferae, grown in the Royal Botanic Gardens. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Darling1903 url p. 33.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 33, p. xxi.
- Handbook of West American cone-bearers. [N.p.]1895 url , .
- Handbook of West-American cone-bearers. J. G. Lemmon. [Oakland, Cal.]1900. url .
- Handbook of gardening for New Zealand, with chapters on poultry and bee-keeping / M. Murphy Christchurch: Whitcombe & Tombs, [1888?] url p. 140, p. 74, p. 75.
- Hardy coniferous trees: being a concise description of each species and variety, with the most recently approved nomenclature, lists of synonyms, and best methods of cultivation. .. / by A. D. Webster. London: Hutchinson, 1896. url p. 164, p. 183, p. 37, p. 41.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 258.
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 356.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 359.
- Identification of the economic woods of the United States, including a discussion of the structural and physical properties of wood, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url , p. 51.
- Illustrations of conifers / by H. Clinton-Baker. Hertford: Privately printed [by Simson], 1909-1913. url , .
- Injurious and beneficial insects of California. / By E. O. Essig. Sacramento, California state printing office, 1915 url p. 32.
- Introduction to the plant-life of the Oxford district. London, Milford, 1922-25. url p. 102, p. 114.
- Introgressive hybridization. New York, J. Wiley, 1949. url p. 20.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url , , p. 10, p. 139, p. 14, p. 147, p. 16, p. 9.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url , p. 326, p. 329.
- Journal of forestry. Washington: Society of American Foresters, 1917- url p. 76, p. 814.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 197.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 382, p. 85.
- La Mortola: a short description of the garden of Thomas Hanbury, Esq. / by Friedrich A. Flückiger; translated from the German by Helen P. Sharpe. [s.l.]: Privately printed, 1885. url p. 6, p. 8.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url , , p. 233.
- Lester Rowntree: California native plant woman: Berkeley, Calif.: University of California, c1979. url .
- Letters of Asa Gray / Boston; Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1893. url .
- Letters of Asa Gray edited by Jane Loring Gray. Boston; New York: Houghton, Mifflin, 1894, c1893. url p. 770.
- Letters of Asa Gray, edited by Jane Loring Gray. ... Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1894. url p. 770.
- Manual of the trees of North America (exclusive of Mexico) by Charles Sprague Sargent, with seven hundred and eighty-three illustrations from drawings by Charles Edward Faxon and Mary W. Gill. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin company, 1922. url p. 69, p. 69, p. 70, p. 70, p. 902, p. 902.
- Market nursery work; a series of six books on the cultivation of crops for market, by F. J. Fletcher. London, Benn Brothers, Ltd., 1921-22. url p. 26, p. 59, p. 64.
- Micro-Lepidoptera [six articles by Lord Walsingham] London, 1881-1907. url p. 500.
- Miscellaneous studies in agriculture and biology. BerkeleyUniversity of California Press1919 url p. 137, p. 137, p. 78.
- Mycotrophy in plants; lectures on the biology of mycorrhizae and related structures. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1950. url p. 27.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , p. 115.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 237, p. 515.
- Nature and science on the Pacific coast: a guide-book for scientific travelers in the West / edited under the auspices of the Pacific coast committee of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; illustrated with nineteen text figures, twenty-nine half-tone plates and fourteen San Francisco: P. Elder, [c1915] url p. 165, p. 165.
- New Zealand moths and butterflies (Macro-lepidoptera) by G. V. Hudson. .. with 13 plates. London: West, Newman & co., 1898. url p. 124.
- New Zealand plants and their story. By L. Cockayne. .. Wellington, N.Z., M.F. Marks, Govt. Printer, 1919. url p. 161.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 454, p. 455.
- North American trees (exclusive of Mexico and tropical United States) A handbook designed for field use, with plates and distribution maps. Ames, Iowa State University Press url p. 99.
- North American trees: being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies / New York: H. Holt and Co., 1908. url .
- North American trees: guide to Charles F. Millspaugh Hall, by Samuel J. Record. Chicago, 1934. url p. 118, p. 43.
- North American trees; being descriptions and illustrations of the trees growing independently of cultivation in North America, north of Mexico and the West Indies; with the assistance of John Adolph Shafer. New YorkHolt1908 url p. 97, p. 98.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 382.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 3.
- Odorographia: a natural history of raw materials and drugs used in the perfume industry: intended to serve growers, manufacturers and consumers / by J. Ch. Sawer. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1892-1894. url p. 332.
- Outlines of forestry: or, The elementary principles underlying the science of forestry: being a series of primers of forestry / by Edwin J. Houston. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott, 1893. url p. 236.
- Outlines of forestry; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1893. url p. 236.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 68.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 2, p. 2, p. 3, p. 3, p. 4, p. 8.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 17, p. 70, p. 71, p. 8, p. 81, p. 82, p. 83.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 5, p. 59.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 1, p. 11, p. 145, p. 154, p. 16, p. 176, p. 181, p. 182, p. 2, p. 236, p. 278, p. 28, p. 298, p. 306, p. 356, p. 360, p. 397, p. 419, p. 431, p. 434, p. 436, p. 438.
- Plant morphology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1953. url p. 343.
- Plant sociology; the study of plant communities; authorized English translation of Pflanzensoziologie, by Dr. J. Braun-Blanquet. Translated, revised and edited by George D. Fuller and Henry S. Conard. New York and London, McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1932. url p. 415.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 538, p. 828.
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 19.
- Plants poisonous to live stock / Cambridge: University Press, 1917. url .
- Plants poisonous to live stock, by Harold C. Long. .. Cambridge: University press, 1917. url p. 115.
- Plants poisonous to live stock. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1917. url , p. 73.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 11, p. 86, p. 87, p. 89.
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 58, p. 58, p. 62.
- Practical forestry. A treatise on the propagation, planting, and cultivation, with a description, and the botanical and popular names of all the indigenous trees of the United States. By Andrew S. Fuller. New York, Orange Judd company1884. url p. 240, p. 289, p. 289.
- Practical forestry: a treatise on the propagation, planting, and cultivation, with a description, and the botanical and popular names of all the indigenous trees of the United States, both evergreen and deciduous, togeth New York: Orange Judd Co., 1914, c1884. url .
- Practical foresty; a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. LondonW. Rider[pref.1917] url p. 130, p. 132, p. 82.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 57.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 102, p. 119, p. 126, p. 128, p. 17, p. 44, p. 44, p. 46, p. 65, p. 74, p. 76, p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 172.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 145, p. 57, p. 597, p. 605, p. 689.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 129, p. 181, p. 191, p. 23, p. 73, p. 74, p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 120, p. 125, p. 325, p. 375, p. 378, p. 380, p. 381.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 15, p. 385, p. 40, p. 443, p. 472, p. 473, p. 653.
- Report of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture and Forestry of the Territory of Hawaii for the period. .. Honolulu. url p. 104, p. 70.
- Report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Chicago Natural History Museum. [Chicago]: The Museum, -1963. url p. 51.
- Report on the Natal forests. .. [S.l.: s.n.], 1889. url p. 80, p. 85.
- Report on the forest resources of Western Australia / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. London: Reeve, 1879. url p. 23.
- Report on the forests of British East Africa. LondonPrinted for His Majesty's Stationery Off. by Darling1909 url p. 11, p. 115, p. 116, p. 92.
- Report on the forests of North America (exclusive of Mexico) / by Charles S. Sargent. Washington: G.P.O., 1884. url , .
- Round the year in the garden; a descriptive guide to the flowers of the four seasons, and to the work of each month in the flower, friut and kitchen garden, by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with twelve direct colour photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke, and sixty-four half-tone plates. New York, Funk and Wagnalls company url p. 195, p. 254.
- Scale insects of the Santa Cruz peninsula. Stanford University: The University, 1920. url p. 14, p. 30.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 239, p. 700, p. 875.
- Scientific news for general readers; a popular illustrated weekly journal of science. London, 1887-88. url p. 76.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell. .. illustrated by Mary G. W. Wilson. London, E. Arnold, 1908. url p. 338.
- Seeding and planting; a manual for the guidance of forestry students, foresters, nurserymen, forest owners, and farmers, by James W. Toumey. .. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916. url p. 446, p. 446, p. 446.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 151, p. 390.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 389, p. 95.
- Shade and ornamental trees of California, by Merritt B. Pratt, state forester. Sacramento?1922? url p. 24.
- South African journal of natural history. Pretoria, South African Biological Society. url p. 165.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 108.
- Stanford University publications. University series. Biological sciences. Stanford University, Calif.University Press, 1920-53. url p. 14, p. 30.
- Technical series. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1895-1915. url p. 35, p. 40, p. 85.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1279.
- The American woods: exhibited by actual specimens and with copious explanatory text / by Romeyn B. Hough. Lowville, N.Y.: Pub., and sections prepared by the author, 1910, c1888 url , , p. 14, p. 15, p. 22, p. 53, p. 6, p. 7.
- The Australasian fruit culturist, containing full and complete information as to the history, traditions, uses, propagation and culture of such fruits as are suitable to Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland, Western Melbourne, A. M'Kinley, 1893. url p. 40.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 204, p. 29, p. 293, p. 302, p. 34, p. 403, p. 633.
- The Buprestidae of North America, exclusive of Mexico, a catalogue including synonomy, bibliography, distribution, type locality and hosts of each species, by W. J. Chamberlin. Eugene, Or., c1926 url p. 212.
- The California fruits and how to grow them; San Francisco, Cal., Pacific rural press, 1914. url p. 498.
- The California species of mealy bugs, by Gordon Floyd Ferris. .. Stanford University, Cal., The University, 1918. url p. 51, p. 52, p. 53, p. 63.
- The Coccidae of California: a descriptive list of the different scale insects found in and reported from California / by Edward K. Carnes. Sacramento: [State Horticultural Commission], 1906. url p. 6.
- The Coccidae of California; a descriptive list of the different scale insects found in and reported from California / by Edward K. Carnes. Sacramento, W. W. Shannon, 1906. url p. 6.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson; illustrated with many engravings on wood. London: J. Murray, 1906. url p. 521.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 119, p. 131, p. 185, p. 186, p. 20, p. 216, p. 221, p. 246, p. 25, p. 264, p. 275, p. 28, p. 287, p. 296, p. 30, p. 304, p. 67, p. 83, p. 85, p. 87, p. 93.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1087, p. 1472, p. 302, p. 79, p. 845.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , p. 313, p. 314.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 147, p. 28.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 40 1980 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 392.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url , p. 329, p. 80, p. 82.
- The IUCN Invertebrate Red Data Book IUCN url p. 468.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 454, p. 455.
- The Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Victoria. [Melbourne]:Dept. of Agriculture, Victoria, 1902-1955. url p. 230, p. 414, p. 415, p. 416, p. 417, p. 418, p. 725, p. 726, p. 727, p. 728.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley. A list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River, Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892. url .
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url p. 104, p. 118.
- The National Collection of Coccidae / by C.L. Marlatt. Washington: G.P.O., 1908. url p. 35, p. 40, p. 85.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 229, p. 249, p. 312.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 495, p. 498.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 112, p. 226, p. 295, p. 321, p. 363, p. 391, p. 393, p. 425, p. 435, p. 603, p. 607, p. 609, p. 626, p. 644.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 133.
- The West American scientist. San Diego, Calif.: C.R. Orcutt, 1884-1919. url p. 23.
- The World List of Threatened Trees WCMC, IUCN url p. 155.
- The art & craft of garden making / Thomas H. Mawson. London: B.T. Batsford;  url p. 261.
- The art and practice of landscape gardening / by Henry Ernest Milner. London: H. E. Milner: 1890. url p. 60.
- The care of trees in lawn, street and park. With a list of trees and shrubs for decorative use. New YorkHolt1910 url p. 217, p. 371.
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url p. 118, p. 120, p. 175, p. 207, p. 208, p. 385.
- The days of a man, being memories of a naturalist, teacher and minor prophet of democracy. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.World book company1922 url p. 213.
- The days of a man: being memories of a naturalist, teacher, and minor prophet of democracy / by David Starr Jordan Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.: World Book Co., 1922 url p. 213, p. 243.
- The development of British forestry. LondonE. Arnold1910 url p. 11, p. 210.
- The distribution of vegetation in the United States, as related to climatic conditions [by] Burton E. Livingston and Forrest Shreve. [Washington]Carnegie institution of Washington, 1921. url p. 10.
- The elements of forestry designed to afford information concerning the planting and care of forest trees for ornament or profit and giving suggestions upon the creation and care of woodlands with the CincinnatiR. Clarke1882 url p. 307.
- The elements of forestry, designed to afford information concerning the planting and care of forest trees for ornament or profit and giving suggestions upon the creation and care of woodlands with the view of securing the grea Cincinnati, R. Clarke, 1882. url p. 307.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The forester: a practical treatise on the planting and tending of forest trees and the general management of woodland estates / Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1894. url p. 405.
- The garden at home, by H. H. Thomas. .. with 12 full-page plates from photographs in natural colours and 96 half-tone illustrations. London, New York [etc.]Cassell and company, ltd., 1912. url p. 163.
- The garden beautiful in California; Los Angeles, Cal., Cultivator publishing co., 1915. url p. 44, p. 55.
- The handbook of horticulture and viticulture of Western Australia / Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1921. url .
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 311.
- The journal of forestry and estates management. London: W. Rider, 1878-1883. url p. 881.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 520, p. 898.
- The new gardening: a guide to the most recent developments in the culture of flowers, fruits, and vegetables, by Walter P. Wright. .. New York, Doubleday, Page and company, 1913. url p. 272.
- The organic constituents of higher plants: their chemistry and interrelationships. With contributions by Ernest Sondheimer. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 130.
- The perfect garden, how to keep it beautiful and fruitful, with practical hints on eonomical management and the culture of all the principal flowers, fruits, and vegetables; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company; [etc., etc.]1908. url p. 402.
- The pinetum: being a synopsis of all the coniferous plants at present known, with descriptions, history and synonyms, and a comprehensive systematic index. LondonH.G. Bohn [etc.]1880 url p. 466, p. 91, p. 92, p. 92, p. 93, p. 93.
- The practice of forestry, concerning also the financial aspect of afforestation. LondonT.F. Unwin1909 url p. 10, p. 167, p. 168, p. 194, p. 225, p. 37, p. 386, p. 387, p. 492, p. 79, p. 85, p. 88, p. 89, p. 95, p. xv.
- The practice of forestry: concerning also the financial aspects of afforestation / by Percival Trentham Maw. London: T. F. Unwin, 1909. url , p. 10, p. 167, p. 168, p. 194, p. 225, p. 37, p. 386, p. 387, p. 39, p. 42, p. 492, p. 79, p. 85, p. 88, p. 89, p. 95.
- The principal species of wood: their characteristic properties. By Charles Henry Snow. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], [c1908], 1910. url p. 183.
- The science and practice of farming during 1910 in Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland) as seen through the scientific and agricultural press. Rome, Printed by the Unione Editrice, 1910. url p. 329.
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1902 url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 10 1896 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 100, p. 101, p. 103, p. 104, p. 107, p. 121, p. 155, p. 98, tab. DXXV, p. x.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2064, p. 2702, p. 2703, p. 3515, p. 379, p. 914.
- The testing of forest seeds during 25 years, 1887-1912. Copenhagen, Langkjærs Bogtrykkeri, 1915 url p. 33.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 119.
- The tree book. A popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation. By Julia Ellen Rogers. With sixteen plates in colour and one hundred and sixty in black-and-white from photographs by A. Radclyffe Dugmore. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page, 1912. url , p. 96.
- The tree book: A popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation / New York: Doubleday, Page, 1920. url , , p. 96.
- The tree book: a popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation / Garden City: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url , , p. 96.
- The tree book; a popular guide to a knowledge of the trees of North America and to their uses and cultivation, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1913. url , , p. 96.
- The tree planter and plant propagator; being a practical manual on the propagation of fruit trees. .. LondonC. Lockwood1880 url p. 61.
- The trees of California. San FranciscoCunningham, Curtis & Welch url p. 117, p. 119, p. 14.
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url p. 1105, p. 1148, p. 1165, p. 1166, p. 1167, p. 1173, p. 1177, p. 1648, p. 708.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 236, p. 456.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 929.
- The woods of the United States. With an account of their structure, qualities, and uses. With geographical and other notes upon the trees which produce them. By C.S. Sargent. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1885. url p. 108, p. 150, p. 155, p. 163, p. 166, p. 174.
- The woods of the United States: with an account of their structure, qualities and uses; with geographical and other notes upon the trees which produce them / by C.S. Sargent. New York: Appleton, 1885. url p. 108, p. 155, p. 160, p. 163, p. 174, p. 183.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 225, p. 259, p. 63.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 115, p. 151, p. 185, p. 23.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 20.
- Transactions of the American Horticultural Society. [S.l.: The Society], 1885-1888. url p. 171.
- Transactions of the British Mycological Society. London: Cambridge University Press, [1897-c1988] url .
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url , , p. 106, p. 120, p. 16, p. 160, p. 168, p. 175, p. 202, p. 219, p. 239, p. 45, p. 5, p. 68, p. 83, p. 9.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 132, p. 152, p. 154, p. 157.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 104, p. 450, p. 707, p. 94.
- Trees and shrubs of the British Isles; native and acclimatised, LondonDent1909 url p. 202, p. 243, p. 29, p. 32.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 450, p. 94.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture: 1949. url p. 922.
- Trees: the yearbook of agriculture, 1949 / the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office, 1949 url p. 922.
- U.S. gardening guide: everything you need to know about how to make things grow / compiled by Jeffery Feinman. New York: Simon and Schuster, c1979. url p. 180.
- Veitch's manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order, a synopsis of the species cultivated in Great Britain, their botanical history, economic properties, place and use in arboriculture, etc. Chelsea: J. Veitch, 1900. url p. 200, p. 215, p. 215, p. 217, p. 550.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 718.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 10, p. 16, p. 34.
- Webster's Practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament / by A.D. Webster. London: W. Rider & son, limited,  url p. 130, p. 132, p. 82, p. 85.
- Webster's practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. By A.D. Webster. .. London, W. Rider & Son, Limited[pref. 1905] url p. 49, p. 51, p. 76, p. 79.
- Wild flowers of the Pacific coast. From original water color sketches drawn from nature; by Emma Homan Thayer. 1887 New York: Cassell & company, limited, [c1887] url p. 50.
- With the flowers and trees in California, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrations of flowers in color, by Elizabeth Hallowell Saunders. New York: McBride, Nast, 1914. url p. 281.
- World Plant Conservation Bibliography WCMC, Royal Botanic Gardens url p. 523.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 75, p. 79.
- Year book / Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1903- url p. 75.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 3, p. 313, p. 313.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Cheng Wan-chün, Fu Li-kuo & Chu Cheng-de. 1978. Cupressaceae. In: Cheng Wan-chün & Fu Li-kuo, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 7: 313-398.
- Goggans, J. F. and C. E. Posey. 1968. Variation in seeds and ovulate cones of some species and varieties of Cupressus. Circ. Agric. Exp. Sta., Alabama 160: 1--23.
- Little, E. L. Jr. 1966. Varietal transfers in Cupressus and Chamaecyparis. Madroño 18: 161--167.
- Little, E. L. Jr. 1970. Names of New World cypresses (Cupressus). Phytologia 20: 429--445.
- Silba, J. 1981. Revision of Cupressus L. (Cupressaceae). Phytologia 49: 390--399.
- Wolf, C. B. 1948. Taxonomic and distributional studies of the New World cypresses. Aliso 1: 1--250.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Conifer Database. Release date: June 5, 2008
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. Cupressus macrocarpa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 19, 2008.
- "Cupressus macrocarpa". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Published by Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 05, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 16 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 27, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 05, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Jardín Botánico de Córdoba: Herbarium COA
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2663813
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Con-1837
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494459
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:676760-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 12659
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 183480
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 118903-3
- IUCN ID: 203523
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PGCUP04060
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: CUMA2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 32396
- Liguo Fu, Yong-fu Yu, Robert P. Adams & Aljos Farjon "Cupressaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 62. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- James E. Eckenwalder "Cupressus". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Cupressus macrocarpa". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]