Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Golden Winged Warbler, blue golden-winged warbler, golden-winged flycatcher, golden-winged swamp warbler, Golden-winged Warbler
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Fauvette , Paruline , paruline à ailes dorées, Paruline aile-d'or, paruline Ã ailes dorÃ©es
Common Names in German:
Goldfl, Goldflügel-Waldsänger, Goldflügelraupenfresser
Common Names in Haitian Creole French:
Ti Tchit Z
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Bijirita Alidorada, Chipe ala dorada, Chipe De Alas Doradas, Reinita Aligualda
Common Names in Spanish (Costa Rica):
Common Names in Spanish (Cuba):
Common Names in Spanish (Dominican Republic):
Common Names in Spanish (Honduras):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Chipe Ala Dorada
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Common Names in Spanish (Venezuela):
Common Names in Swedish:
Guldvingad Skogss, Gulvingad skogssångare
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Welsh:
Telor Asgell Aur
Adult : Head : Crown: yellow Face : Eyebrow Line : white Eyeline: black patch Malar : white Neck: Throat : black Body: Flanks: white with gray wash Underparts: white Upperparts: pearl gray Tail: blackish.
About 4.75 to 5 inches long, with a wingspan of 7.75 to 8.25 inches. Adults weigh about 0.3 ounces .
The Golden-winged Warbler uses primarily habitats that are in early successional areas such as shrubby vegetation found along streams , wet fields with shrubby vegetation, power line right-of-ways, and some cut-over areas.
Vegetation: tropical lowland evergreen forest, second-growth forests and woodlands, montaine evergreen forests, tropical lowland evergreen forest • Maximum Elevation: 3,000 meters • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,479 meters (0 to 14,695 feet).
in open deciduous woodland, secondary growth
, brushy pastures
and bogs2, apparently favouring a particular stage
in woodland succession3. When the habitat
this stage, birds move on3. All kinds of woodland
are used during migration, and birds generally winter in
secondary growth forest
or forest edge with a good understorey3.
come from below 2,000 m
, and right
The well-hidden nest
is usually on or close to the ground
, and breeding
takes place in May and June3.
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.6 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Moist
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland [more info]
consists of insects and spiders found on leaves and branches.
by moving among the branches gathering the food that it
finds. It also searches clusters
of dead leaves to find the insects
The breeding season
begins in mid-May and extends to late June. The
is commonly on the ground
, hidden among the grass
of a tree
. Rarely, the nest is woven among the vegetation,
and then it is only placed a few inches above the ground. The nest
is cup-shaped and built out of grasses and strips of grapevine bark
The female lays
4-7 (usually 4-5) eggs
that she incubates for 10
days. The young are altricial and fledge
9-10 days after hatching
- Breeding Habitat : Successional-scrub
- Nest Location: Ground-low nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-6
- Length of Incubation : 10 days
- Days to Fledge: 9-10
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Passeres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) C. Linnaeus, 1766
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Vermivora chrysoptera (Linnaeus, 1766)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
In the East, the most similar species is the Blue-winged Warbler,
although many warblers are similar in size and body shape. The Blue-winged
Warbler is mostly yellow, with slate-gray wings and tail, and has
two wing bars and a black eye stripe. The song of the Blue-winged
Warbler is similar to the Golden-wing Warbler's but shorter. Its
low, soft, buzzing song sounds like be-bzz. The Blue-winged Warbler
and Golden-winged Warbler interbreed and produce two hybrids called
the Brewster's Warbler and Lawrence's Warbler. The Brewster's Warbler
- the more common of the two hybrids - has the black eye stripe,
a yellow crown, a variety of yellow throughout the body, grayish
wings and tail, and two yellowish wing bars. The Lawrence's Warbler
has the black ear patch and throat, variable yellow throughout the
body, grayish wings and tail, and two yellowish wing bars.
The gray and white plumage and black throat of the Golden-winged warbler is somewhat reminiscent of a chickadee but note the yellow forehead and wing patch of the warbler. The Blue-winged Warbler occassionally hybridizes with the Golden-winged Warbler to produce offspring with characteristics of both parents. Some have mostly white underparts but the face pattern of the Blue-winged Warbler (Brewster's Warbler), while some have the yellow plumage of the Blue-winged but the face pattern of the Golden-winged (Lawrence's Warbler). These hybrids sometimes backcross with Blue-winged or Golden-winged to produce offspring more similar to Blue-winged or Golden-winged.
Members of the genus Vermivora
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 21 species and subspecies in this genus:
V. bachmanii (Bachman's Wood Warbler) · V. celata (Orange Crowned Warbler) · V. celata celata (Orange-Crowned Warbler) · V. celata lutescens (Orange-Crowned Warbler) · V. celata orestera (Orange-Crowned Warbler) · V. celata sordida (Dusky Orange-Crowned Warbler) · V. chrysoptera (Golden Winged Warbler) · V. crissalis (Colima Warbler) · V. cyanoptera (Blue-Winged Warbler) · V. gutteralis (Flame-Throated Warbler) · V. lawrencii (Lawrence's Warbler) · V. leucobronchialis (Brewster's Warbler) · V. luciae (Desert Warbler) · V. peregrina (Tennessee Swamp Warbler) · V. pinus (Blue Winged Warbler) · V. ruficapilla (Nashville Swamp Warbler) · V. ruficapilla gutturalis (Calaveras Warbler) · V. ruficapilla ridgwayi (Nashville Warbler) · V. ruficapilla ruficapilla (Nashville Swamp Warbler) · V. superciliosa (Crescent-Chested Warbler) · V. virginiae (Virginia's Warbler)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 18.
- A faunal investigation of Long Point and vicinity, Norfolk County, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1931. url p. 206.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 106, p. 138, p. 22, p. 24, p. 30, p. 37, p. 39, p. 40, p. 43, p. 44, p. 48, p. 50, p. 55, p. 7, p. 71, p. 8, p. 85, p. 87.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 457, p. 610.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url , .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url , p. 109, p. 386.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 435.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 269.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 174.
- Annual report of the regents of the university on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University. url p. 33.
- Bird guide: land birds east of the Rockies from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1909. url p. 147, p. 147.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. New York, The University Society, 1923. url p. 118.
- Birds of Arkansas. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1911. url , .
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 207.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url , .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 386, p. 386, p. 647.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 386.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url , .
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 278.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 209.
- Birds of Volcán de Chiriquí, Panama. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 557.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: J. de Labroquerie Taché, 1919. url p. 192.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 192.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 192.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 192.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 216.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919. url p. 315, p. 315.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 315.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 3, p. 450, p. 47, p. 52, p. 93.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 243.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 149, p. 150, p. 187, p. 188, p. 191.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 71 1931 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 345, p. 357, p. 450, p. 462.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 32, p. 33, p. 34, p. 35, p. 36, p. 41, p. 43, p. 45, p. 45, p. 47, p. 52, p. 52, p. 54, p. 55, p. 58, p. 74, p. 80.
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from Costa Rica, by John Farwell Ferry. 1 1910 Chicago, 1910. url p. 275.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1935 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1935. url p. 336, p. 337.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 235.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 281, p. 372.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 480.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 602, p. 807.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 5, p. 6.
- Comprehensive plan for the Illinois Nature Preserves System. Rockford, Ill.: Illinois Nature Preserves Commission, 1972-1973. url p. 32.
- Contents and index to volume 1 / Charles B. Cory. 1 1917 Chicago: Natural History Museum, 1917. url p. 362.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 314.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url , .
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary / Albany, N.Y.: The Department,  url p. 55.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 73, p. 88.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 79.
- Illinois birds, Wood warblers / Urbana: State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1983. url p. 19.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 128, p. 128, p. 193, p. 193, p. 53.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 114, p. 160, p. 196.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 585.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 119.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 49.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 109.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 107, p. 142.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 107, p. 142.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 374.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 374, p. 84.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 756, p. 756.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 275, p. 275.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 90.
- Pamphlets on forestry in West Virginia. [1900?- url p. 103.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 273, p. 273, p. 312, p. 375, p. 375, p. 397, p. 399.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 125, p. 165, p. 225, p. 290, p. 406, p. 407, p. 55.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 380.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 514, p. 580.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 124, p. 55.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , p. 238, p. 250, p. 644.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 126.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url , .
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 133.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 302.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes / Berkeley: The University Press, 1910. url .
- Slides and photographs. Albany, N.Y., 1920. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 117 1953 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 51, p. 66.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 174.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url , .
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 299.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 16, p. 29.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 109, p. 129.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 79.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 141, p. 142, p. 186, p. 202, p. 240, p. 247, p. 283, p. 299, p. 407, p. 419, p. 428, p. 475, p. 504, p. 523, p. 544, p. 67.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 51 1937 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , title page, no. 5 , , , p. 108, p. 118, p. 12, p. 123, p. 138, p. 141, p. 206, p. 233, p. 281, p. 313, p. 39, p. 458, p. 487, p. 52, p. 52, p. 599, p. 600, p. 612, p. 615, p. 616, p. 67, p. 8.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 66.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 388.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url , , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 149, p. 149, p. 150, p. 150, p. 187, p. 187, p. 191, p. 191.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 238, p. 250, p. 644.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 269.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Virginia, Lynchburg, Va., J. P. Bell Company, Inc., 1913. url .
- The birds of the Santa Marta region of Colombia: a study in altitudinal distribution. Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, 1922 url , .
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url p. 82.
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 82.
- The breeding birds of Pennsylvania. 1913. url .
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 150.
- The distribution of bird-life in Colombia; a contribution to a biological survey of South America, New York, Pub. by order of the trustees, 1917. url , , , , .
- The ornithology of Chester County, Pennsylvania, Boston, R. G. Badger, [c1919] url .
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- The warblers of North America / New York: D. Appleton, 1917. url , , , .
- The warblers of North America / by Frank M. Chapman, with the coöperation of other ornithologists. New York: D. Appleton, 1917, [c1907] url , p. 306, p. 60.
- The warblers of North America, New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1907. url , , , .
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 217, p. 217, p. 217.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 138, p. 83, p. 85, p. 96.
- What bird is that? A pocket museum of the land birds of the eastern United States, arranged according to season. New York, D. Appleton[c1920] url .
- Wilson's American ornithology: with notes by Jardine; to which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson / by T.M. Brewer. 1840 Boston: Otis, Broaders, and Co., 1840. url p. 170.
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 92.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 374, p. 84.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2008. Vermivora chrysoptera. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed February 4, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 06, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 12 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 06, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University: MCZ Ornithology Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Royal Ontario Museum: Bird specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7386
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-178852
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2487430
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 178852
- IUCN ID: 248509
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPBX01030
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 251
- Mean = 21.650 meters (71.030 feet), Standard Deviation = 189.760 based on 194,252 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2008. Vermivora chrysoptera. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 05 February 2012. [back]