Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
American green sandpiper, American wood sandpiper, barnyard plover, black snipe, Green Sandpiper, peet-weet, Solitary Sandpiper, solitary tattler, wood sandpiper, wood tattler
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Einsamer Wasserläufer, Einsamer-Wasserläufer
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Andarrios solitario, Playero solitario
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Face : Eye Ring: whitish Neck: Throat : blackish brown streaks over white Body: Breast: blackish brown streaks over white Shape : slender Sides: blackish brown streaks over white Size: fairly small Underparts: white Upperparts: dark brown with dense whitish buff spotting Legs : Leg Color: greenish yellow Tail: black central feathers ; black and white barred edging.Adult Breeding Season : Head : white, streaked with dark brown Face: Eye Ring: whitish Neck: white, streaked with dark brown Throat: blackish brown streaks over white Body: Breast: blackish brown streaks over white Shape: slender Sides: blackish brown streaks over white Size: fairly small Underparts: white Upperparts: darker brown than winter with dense whitish buff spotting Legs: Leg Color: greenish yellow Tail: black central feathers; black and white barred edging.Adult Winter: Head: pale brownish Face: Eye Ring: whitish Bill: blackish with gray-olive base Neck: pale brownish Throat: white Body: Belly: white Breast: blackish brown streaks over white Chest: pale brownish Shape: slender Sides: blackish brown streaks over white Size: fairly small Underparts: white Upperparts: olive-brown, speckled with white Legs: Leg Color: greenish yellow Wings : Linings : barred with dusky and white Tail: black central feathers; black and white barred edging.Immature: Head: pale brownish Face: Eye Ring: whitish Bill: blackish with gray-olive base Neck: pale brownish Foreneck: tinged with dull buff and mottled with brown Throat: white Body: Belly: white Breast: blackish brown streaks over white Chest: tinged with dull buff and mottled with brown Shape: slender Sides: blackish brown streaks over white Size: fairly small Underparts: white Upperparts: olive-brown, speckled with white Legs: Leg Color: greenish yellow Wings: Linings: barred with dusky and white Tail: black central feathers; black and white barred edging.
, neck, and chest streaked
with dark brown and
white · Dark brown back and upperwings with small white spots
· White belly · Whitish supraloral stripe
, dark lores
Adult basic: Smooth gray-brown head and neck fading to white belly · Gray-brown back speckled with white
About 8 to 9 inches long, with a wingspan of 15 to 17 inches. Adults weigh about 1.7 ounces .
Found along mud flats and stream edges , usually near fresh water .
Vegetation: freshwater lakes and ponds, riverine sand beaches • Maximum Elevation: 1,500 meters • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 2 Savanna
- 2.2 Savanna - Moist
- 4 Grassland
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.1 Artificial/Aquatic - Water Storage Areas (over 8ha) [more info]
Almost exclusively aquatic invertebrates .
- Clutch Size: 4
- Length of Incubation : 23-24? days
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Beddard, 1898
- Infraorder: Scolopacides () - Strauch, 1978
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Tringa solitaria Wilson, 1813
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Tringa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 19 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. brevipes (Gray-Tailed Tattler) · T. cinerea (Terek Sandpiper) · T. erythropus (Spotted Redshank) · T. flavipes (Lesser Long-Legged Tattler) · T. glareola (Wood Sandpiper) · T. guttifer (NordmannÌs Greenshank) · T. hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. hypoleucos hypoleucos (Common Sandpiper) · T. incana (Wandering Tattler) · T. macularia (Spotted Sandpiper) · T. melanoleuca (Big Yellow-Legged Plover) · T. nebularia (Common Greenshank) · T. ochropus (Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria (American Green Sandpiper) · T. solitaria cinnamomea (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. solitaria solitaria (Solitary Sandpiper) · T. stagnatilis (Marsh Sandpiper) · T. totanus (Common Sandpiper) · T. totanus totanus (Common Sandpiper)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 13, p. 145, p. 151, p. 166, p. 178, p. 231, p. 246, p. 249, p. 296, p. 297, p. 312, p. 319, p. 321, p. 326, p. 338, p. 344, p. 345, p. 348, p. 390, p. 449, p. 450, p. 452, p. 519, p. 533, p. 681, p. 72, p. 94.
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A System of natural history: containing scientifci [sic] and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / chiefly compiled from the various works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history Boston: Carter, Hendee, & Co.; 1834. url p. 645.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 614.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 11.
- A contribution to the ornithology of the Orinoco region, by George K. Cherrie. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Pub. for the Brooklyn museum, 1916. url p. 371.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 52.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 188.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 644.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 51.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 292.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 181.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 130.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url .
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 175.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 159.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 12.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url .
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- American ornithology; or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / by Alexander Wilson, and Charles Lucian Bonaparte; edited by Robert Jameson. Edinburgh: Constable, 1831. url p. 307.
- American ornithology; or, the natural history of the birds of the United States, by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 341.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url p. 5.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 372.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 571, p. 574, p. 606.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 325.
- Annotated checklist of bird and mammal species of Cocha Cashu Biological Station, Manu National Park, Peru / John W. Terborgh, John W. Fitzpatrick, Louise Emmons. 21 1984 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url table 2 , p. 17.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 74.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 123.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 225, p. xii.
- Birds of Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario / [Toronto: s.n.], 1938. url p. 15.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 103.
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 599.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 599.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 18.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 9 1967 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 28.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 148, p. 159, p. 193, p. 307, p. 353, p. 358, p. 359, p. 361, p. 363, p. 364, p. 392, p. 405, p. 407, p. 408, p. 411, p. 438, p. 50, p. 810.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 98, p. 99.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 68 1927 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 167, p. 408, p. 652, p. 80.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 123, p. 256, p. 321, p. 88.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 45.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 116, p. 121.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 444.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 680.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 114, p. 488.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 186, p. 187, p. 664, p. 685.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 179.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 267.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 239.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 202.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 132, p. 138.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 393, p. 394.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 80.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 80.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 80.
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 439.
- Game birds from northwestern Venezuela, by Wilfred H. Osgood and Boardman Conover. 12 1922 Chicago, 1922. url p. 42.
- Geology of the county of Cape May, state of New Jersey. Trenton, Printed at the office of the True American, 1857. url , p. 144.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 215, p. 226, fig. 26, page 82.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 257, p. 265, p. 312, p. 616.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 73.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 364, p. 594.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum. London: Printed by the order of the Trustees, 1848-1856. url p. 101.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 73.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 278, fig. in text, page 278.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 48.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 193.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 2, p. 23, p. 24, p. 51.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 144, p. 144, p. 34, p. 399, p. 72.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 80.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 292, p. 31, p. 60.
- Ornithological biography, or an account of the habits of the birds of the United States of America; accompanied by descriptions of the objects represented in the work entitled The Birds of America, and interspersed with delineations of American scenery and manners / Edinburgh: Adam Black, 1831-1839. url p. 577.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 457.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 522.
- Our northern and eastern birds. Containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, New York, R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 457.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 41.
- Papers from the Hopkins-Stanford Galapagos expedition, 1898-1899. Washington, D.C., The Academy, 1901-1905. url p. 259.
- Polychlorinated biphenyl hazards to fish, wildlife, and invertebrates: a synoptic review / by Ronald Eisler (Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). Laurel, MD: The Service, 1986. url p. 23.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 199, p. 203, p. 226, p. 981.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 284, p. 287, p. 43, p. 500, p. 600, p. 664.
- Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Science. [Weatherford, etc.]Oklahoma Academy of Science. url p. 42.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 13, p. 18, p. 185, p. 193, p. 250, p. 397, p. 491, p. 559, p. 573, p. 577, p. 597, p. 601, p. 611, p. 616, p. 622, p. 661, p. 667, p. 687.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 259.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 121.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 39, p. 70.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 610.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 610.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 459.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 242, p. 242, p. 733.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 73.
- Seasonal status, relative abundance, and behavior of the birds of Concepción, Departamento Santa Cruz, Bolivia / Susan E. Davis. 71 1993 [Chicago, IL]: Field Museum of Natural History, , c1992. url table 2 , p. 27.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 150 1968 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url corrigenda , p. 245, p. 394, p. 400, p. 401, p. 402, p. 470, p. 481.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 43.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 74.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 115.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 141, p. 152.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 14, p. 9.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 105, p. 422.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 56 1942 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url goodwill , p. 105, p. 109, p. 116, p. 122, p. 126, p. 126, p. 13, p. 131, p. 143, p. 145, p. 149, p. 166, p. 172, p. 173, p. 180, p. 183, p. 186, p. 186, p. 189, p. 192, p. 193, p. 193, p. 200, p. 204, p. 205, p. 220, p. 224, p. 225, p. 227, p. 261, p. 262, p. 276, p. 277, p. 28, p. 28, p. 3, p. 311, p. 313, p. 351, p. 375, p. 382, p. 386, p. 398, p. 422, p. 423, p. 43, p. 442, p. 488, p. 502, p. 53, p. 56, p. 678, p. 74, p. 81, p. 92, p. 93.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 372.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 145, p. 182, p. 41, p. 480, p. 517, p. 519, p. 521, p. 650, p. 652, p. 69, p. 731.
- The Pleistocene avifauna of the Talara tar seeps, northwestern Peru. 1973. url , , , , .
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1375, p. 1390.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 207.
- The birds of British Guiana: based on the collection of Frederick Vavasour McConnell. .. / London: Bernard Quaritch. .., 1916-1921. url p. 122, p. 526.
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 173.
- The birds of Jamaica / by Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, of Spanish-Town. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 350.
- The birds of Jamaica. By Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, esq., of Spanish-town. London, J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 350, p. 350.
- The birds of Long Island. By J. P. Giraud, Jr. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url p. 256.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 457.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 457.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url .
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 74.
- The birds of the Isle of Pines / by W. E. Clyde Todd. Pittsburgh, 1916 url p. 160.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 21.
- The birds of the Santa Marta region of Colombia: a study in altitudinal distribution. Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, 1922 url , .
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 239.
- The birds of the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum], 1939. url p. 10.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 156, p. 156, p. 156.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 367.
- The naturalist's library; containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects; comp. from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson. .. and other writers on natural history. Arranged according to the classification of Stark. Ed. by A. A. Gould, M.A. With four hundred engravings. Boston, Phillips, Sampson, and company, 1850. url p. 645.
- The non-passerine Pleistocene avifauna of the Talara Tar Seeps, northwestern Peru / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1979. url p. 110, p. 111, p. 120.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 62, p. 62.
- The summer birds of Yakutat Bay, Alaska / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1939. url p. 14.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 72, p. 72, p. 72.
- Tropical wild life in British Guiana: zoological contributions from the Tropical research station of the New York zoological society / by William Beebe. .. G. Inness Hartley. .. and Paul G. Howes. .. with an introduction by Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. New York city: The New York zoological society, 1917- url p. 128.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 195, p. 324, p. 610, p. 652, p. 670, p. 700.
- Wilson's American ornithology, with notes by Jardine. To which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson, by T.M. Brewer. New York, T.L. Magagnos, 1854. url .
- Wilson's American ornithology: with notes by Jardine; to which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson / by T.M. Brewer. 1840 Boston: Otis, Broaders, and Co., 1840. url p. 493.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 1483.
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , .
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2004. Tringa solitaria. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2009. Tringa solitaria. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 29, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 13 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- NatureServe. 2003. Downloadable animal data sets. NatureServe Central Databases. Accessed February 6, 2005.
- Parker III, T.A., D.F. Stotz, and J.W. Fitzpatrick, and quot;Ecological and Distributional Databases for Neotropical Birds, and quot; in Neotropical Birds: Ecology and Conservation, by D.F. Stotz, T.A. Parker III, J.W. Fitzpatrick, and D.K. Moskovits (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996). ISBN 0-226-64676-9.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 29, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Bird Studies Canada: BC Coastal Waterbird Survey
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Field Museum: Birds specimens
- GBIF-Sweden: Birds (GBIF-SE:Artdatabanken)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8130
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176617
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2487430
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176615
- IUCN ID: 247161
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNF01070
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4537