Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Maly Pogonysh, Малый погоныш
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 99 meters (323 feet).
Behaviour Most populations of this species are fully migratory
and migrate to wintering
from late-August to November, returning
north from February-May, and arriving again on breeding grounds
March and April1 with breeding occurring between
May and August1. The species breeds in separate
territories in solitary pairs or family
although in favourable habitat
may be placed as close as 30-35
apart1, 3. Outside of the breeding season
species is usually seen singly1, 4 although it
may occur in groups on migration and in the Autumn it sometimes associates
with Spotted Crake Porzana porzana3. Habitat
Breeding The species breeds in the lowlands (up to 2,000
m) in temperate
zones1, extending into
boreal regions if conditions are favourable3. It
inhabits natural or semi-natural eutrophic
still or slow-flowing water1, 3, and requires tall
stands of emergent vegetation
Carex, Sparganium and Phragmites)3
in or near fairly deep water
in which to breed
, preferably with a
mixture of dead and living stems and a layer of broken
stems at ground
or water level3. Suitable habitats include the
and rivers1, 3, small pools
in regularly inundated floodplains3, marshes3,
flooded woodland1 such as alder Alnus coppices3
and flooded rice-fields1. Non-breeding During
the non-breeding season
this species inhabits flooded rice-fields1,
3, seasonally flooded grasslands1, 2, 3,
and small pools overgrown with reeds, bulrushes, sedges and
rank grass2, and sewage
The species may occur in more atypical
habitats on migration3.
The diet of this species consists mostly of insects (especially
waterbeetles, Hemiptera, Neuroptera, and adult
and larval Diptera),
as well as the seeds and shoots
of aquatic plants
Sparganium, Polygonum and Nymphaea), worms,
, spiders and water mites1. Breeding
site The nest is a shallow cup
of plant matter1, 2
placed in thick vegetation on or near water2, or
occasionally raised on a tussock
or platform of dead material
in sites only accessible by swimming3. Management
information The species prefers to breed in tall reedbeds that
are not regularly cut
or burnt (i.e.
with mixtures of dead or living
List of Habitats:
- 4 Grassland
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.3 Wetlands (inland) - Shrub Dominated Wetlands
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps, Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.8 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.6 Artificial/Aquatic - Wastewater Treatment Areas
- 15.7 Artificial/Aquatic - Irrigated Land (includes irrigation channels ) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Porzana parva (Scopoli, 1769)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 28-Nov-2006
Members of the genus Porzana
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 29 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. albicollis (White-Throated Crake) · P. albicollis albicollis (White-Throated Crake) · P. astrictocarpus (Little St. Helena Rail) · P. atra (Henderson Island Crake) · P. bicolor (Black-Tailed Crake) · P. carolina (Little American Water Hen) · P. cinerea (White-Browed Crake) · P. egregia (African Crake) · P. erythrops (San Cristobal Mountain Rail) · P. flavirostra (African Black Crake) · P. flaviventer (Yellow-Breasted Crake) · P. flaviventer flaviventer (Yellow-Breasted Crake) · P. fluminea (Australian Spotted Crake) · P. fusca (Ruddy-Breasted Crake) · P. fusca fusca (Ruddy-Breasted Crake) · P. marginalis (Hudsonian Curlew) · P. monasa (Kusaie Island Crake) · P. nigra (Miller's Rail) · P. palmeri (Laysan Crake) · P. parva (Little Crake) · P. parva parva (Little Crake) · P. paykullii (Band-Bellied Crake) · P. porzana (Spotted Crake) · P. pusilla (BaillonÌs Crake) · P. pusilla pusilla (BaillonÌs Crake) · P. sandwichensis (Hawaiian Crake) · P. spiloptera (Dot-Winged Crake) · P. tabuensis (Spotless Crake) · P. tabuensis tabuensis (Spotless Crake)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , , .
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 582.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 13, p. 71.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. By R. Bowdler Sharpe. .. London, E. Lloyd, Limited, 1896-1897. url p. 223.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 212.
- A hand-list of genera and species of birds of the Indian empire, by E. C. Stuart Baker. .. Bombay, Printed by order of the committee of the Bombay natural history society url p. 206.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 236.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 64, p. 64.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url .
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 148.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 148, p. 148.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 767.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , p. 276, p. 280.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 148.
- A list of British birds belonging to the Humber district: having a special reference to their migrations / by John Cordeaux. London [England]: R. H. Porter, 1899. url p. 27.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 304.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 49.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 708.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 103.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 144.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 23.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 511.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url , .
- Birds in their haunts, by the late C. A. Johns. London, E. P. Dutton, 1909. url .
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 286.
- Birds of the plains, by Douglas Dewar. .. with sixteen illustrations from photographs of living birds, by Captain F. D. S. Fayrer, I. M. S. London, J. Lane;1909  url p. 243, p. 243.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 164.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 165.
- British birds in their haunts / edited, revised and annotated, by J.A. Owen; illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster; with a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London: G. Routledge url p. 230.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 230.
- British birds in their haunts. .. Edited, revised, and annotated by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates by William Foster. With a glossary of common and provincial names and of technical terms. London, Dutton url p. 230.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url , .
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described / by Rev. Canon Atkinson; illustrated by W.S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge, 1898. url p. 156.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 278.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url , p. 278.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 107, p. 120, p. 120, p. 129, p. 132, p. 295.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 45, p. 45.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 50 1911 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 133.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 124.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 100, p. 112, p. 40.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 90.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 116.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 116.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 100, p. 9.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url p. 85.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 217, p. 288, p. 394, p. 416, p. 593, p. 594, p. 613, p. 775.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India / Calcutta: Thacker, Spink; 1888 url p. 84.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 318.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 223, p. 223.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 60.
- Handbook to the birds of the Bombay presidency, by Lieut. H. Edwin Barnes. .. Calcutta, The Calcutta Central Press, 1885. url p. 371, p. 371.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 82.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 514.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 110, p. 119, p. 124, p. 147, p. 155, p. 210, p. 384, p. 399, p. 4, p. 430, p. 480, p. 524, p. 526, p. 610, p. 63, p. 698, p. 717, p. 824.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 88.
- Indian sporting birds / by Frank Finn. London: Francis Edwards, 1915. url p. 108.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 98.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 596.
- List of the birds of India. 78 p.24 cm. url p. 41.
- Our migrant birds and how to know them / by E.F.M. Elms. London: Thornton Butterworth, 1922. url p. 74, p. 74, p. 74.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 145.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 211.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , , p. 230, p. 230, p. 231, p. 231.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url p. 128.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 61, p. 89.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 113, p. 143, p. 363.
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 41.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 81, p. 82.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 185, p. 206.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 325, p. 339.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 151, p. 6.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 693, p. 853, p. 943.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 154.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Stafford / edited by William Page. London: Constable1908- url p. 155.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London: R. H. Porter, 1906. url , , p. 172, p. 172.
- The birds of Africa, comprising all the species which occur in the Ethiopian region, by G.E. Shelley. .. London, Published for the author by R.H. Porter (18 Princes Street, Cavendish Square, W.), 1896-1912. url p. 176.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University Press, 1916. url p. 271.
- The birds of Devon / 1892 London: R.H. Porter, 1892. url p. 279.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 72.
- The birds of Essex: a contribution to the natural history of the country. By Miller Christy, F.L.S. With 162 woodcut illustrations, two plans, and a frontispiece. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & Co.; [etc., etc.]1890. url p. 224.
- The birds of Ireland; an account of the distribution, migrations and habits of birds as observed in Ireland, with all additions to the Irish list, London, Gurney and Jackson (successors to Mr. Van Voorst)1900. url p. 240.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 94.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url .
- The birds of Oxfordshire. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1889. url p. 138.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 191.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url .
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 538.
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 213 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 69 photograp London; F. Warne, 1920. url p. 325.
- The food of birds in India, by C.W. Mason, edited by H. Maxwell-Lefroy. Calcutta, Imperial Dept. of Agric. in India, 1911. url p. 250.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 219.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 263.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 245.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 35.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 125.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 369.
- The wild-fowl and sea-fowl of Great Britain / by a son of the Marshes; edited by J.A. Owen; with illustrations by Bryan Hook. London, Chapman and Hall, ld., 1895. url p. 158.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 98.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 360.
- Type-specimens of birds in the British Museum (Natural History) / by R.L.M. Warren & C.J.O. Harrison. London: BM(NH), 1966-1973. url p. 10.
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url .
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 219, p. 237, p. 331.
- BirdLife International 2009. Porzana parva. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Sweden, Bird Ringing Centre in Sweden
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Upper Silesian Museum, Bytom, Upper Silesian Museum, Bird Observations
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9241
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176249
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176249
- IUCN ID: 235032
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 141792
- Standard Deviation = 116.250 based on 13,878 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Porzana parva. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 04 February 2012. [back]