Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Eurasian Green Woodpecker, European Green Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Zelyony Dyatel, Дятел зеленый
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,679 meters (0 to 5,509 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.5 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 3.8 Shrubland - Mediterranean-type Shrubby Vegetation
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Piciformes () - Meyer & Wolf, 1810
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 27-Dec-2005
Members of the genus Picus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 26 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. awokera (Japanese Green Woodpecker) · P. awokera awokera (Japanese Green Woodpecker) · P. canus (Black-Naped Green Woodpecker) · P. canus canus (Black-Naped Green Woodpecker) · P. chlorolophus (Lesser Yellow-Naped Woodpecker) · P. chlorolophus chlorolophus (Lesser Yellow-Naped Woodpecker) · P. erythropygius (Black-Headed Woodpecker) · P. erythropygius erythropygius (Black-Headed Woodpecker) · P. flavinucha (Greater Yellow-Naped Woodpecker) · P. flavinucha flavinucha (Greater Yellow-Naped Woodpecker) · P. mentalis (Checker-Throated Woodpecker) · P. mineaceus (Banded Red Woodpecker) · P. miniaceus (Banded Red Woodpecker) · P. miniaceus miniaceus (Banded Red Woodpecker) · P. puniceus (Crimson-Winged Woodpecker) · P. puniceus puniceus (Crimson-Winged Woodpecker) · (Red-Collared Woodpecker) · P. squamatus (Scaly-Bellied Woodpecker) · P. squamatus squamatus (Scaly-Bellied Woodpecker) · P. vaillantii (Levaillant's Green Woodpecker) · P. viridanus (Streak-Breasted Woodpecker) · P. viridis (European Green Woodpecker) · P. viridis viridis (Eurasian Green Woodpecker) · P. vittatus (Laced Green Woodpecker) · P. vittatus vittatus (Laced Green Woodpecker) · P. xanthopygaeus (Streak-Throated Woodpecker)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 238.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 389.
- A general history of birds by John Latham. Winchester [England]: Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author, 1822. url , .
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 345, p. 347.
- A general synopsis of birds London: Printed for Benj. White, 1782. url .
- A general synopsis of birds. London: Printed for Benj. White, 1781-1785. url p. 577.
- A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, econo translated from Gmelin's last edition of the celebrated Systema Naturae by Charles Linné; ammended and enlarged by the improvements and discoveries of later naturalists and societies with appropriate London: Printed for Lackington, ALlen, and Co., Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square; 1802-06. url p. 267, p. 269.
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 40.
- A glossary of Greek birds, by D'Arcy Wentworth Thomoson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1895. url p. 51.
- A glossary of Greek birds. OxfordClarendon Press1895 url p. 77.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 306.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 100.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 119, p. 502.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url , , p. 185, p. 185, p. 32, p. 32.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 42.
- A history of British animals: exhibiting the descriptive characters and systematical arrangement of the genera and species of quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, mollusca, and radiata of the United Kingdom; including the indigeno by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Printed for Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 91.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 457, p. 457, p. 464.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 137.
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url .
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url , , , p. 56, p. 659, p. 747, p. 758, p. 766, p. 91, p. 92, p. 94, p. 96.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 364.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 457, p. 457, p. 464.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 7, p. 80, p. 83, p. 9.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 79.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 115, p. 373, p. 422.
- A manual of British ornithology: being a short description of the birds of Great Britain and Ireland. .. / by William Macgillivray. .. London: Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1840-1842. url p. 222.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 149.
- A manual of forestry. London, Bradbury, Agnew, 1889-96. url p. 126.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 143.
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 171, p. 191.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 117.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url , , p. 4, p. 4.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 36.
- A spring and summer in Lapland / by "an old bushman." London: Groombridge, 1871. url p. 272.
- A treatise on insects injurious to gardeners, foresters, & farmers / by Vincent Köllar; translated from the German and illustrated by engravings by J. and M. Loudon; with notes by J. O. Westwood. London: William Smith, 113, Fleet Street, 1840 url p. 23.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 204.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 1150.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 1150.
- An introduction to geology: and its associate sciences mineralogy, fossil botany, and palaeontology / by the late G. F. Richardson... London: H. G. Bohn, 1855. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 185, p. 185, p. 28, p. 28.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 42, p. 84.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 187, p. 187, p. 187, p. 267, p. 267, p. 267, p. 292, p. 292, p. 390, p. 390.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 263.
- Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 700, p. 700.
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 314, p. 320.
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. By Prof. Louis Agassiz. .. Cor., enl. and ed. by H.E. Strickland. .. London, Ray Society, 1848-1854. url p. 269.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 254, p. 402.
- Bird's nests. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge url p. 57, p. 58.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 6.
- Birds and nature in natural colors: being a scientific and popular treatise on four hundred birds of the United States and Canada. Chicago: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1913-1914. url .
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 118, p. 119.
- Birds and their nests and eggs: found in and near great towns / by George H. Vos. London: E.P. Dutton., [1907?] url p. 127.
- Birds of Marlborough; being a contribution to the ornithology of the district, by Everard F. Im Thurn. With an appendix. Marlborough, Perkins, "Times" office; [etc., etc.]1870. url p. 39.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 160.
- British ants, their life-history and classification. By H. St. J.K. Donisthorpe. .. With 18 plates and 92 diagrams. Plymouth [Eng.]W. Brendon and Son, limited, 1915. url p. 143.
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 292.
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described / by Rev. Canon Atkinson; illustrated by W.S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge, 1898. url p. 138.
- British birds' eggs and nests: popularly described / By J. C. Atkinson; with coloured illustrations by W. S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1901. url p. 138.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 155, p. 192, p. 286, p. 325, p. 354, p. 81, p. 88.
- British oology: being illustrations of the eggs of British birds, with figures of each species, as far as practicable, drawn and coloured from nature: accompanied by descriptions of the materials and situation of th Newcastle upon Tyne: Published for the author by C. Empson, [1833?-1838?] url .
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 315.
- British zoology. Warrington, Printed by W. Eyres, for B. White, London, 1776-77. url p. 240.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 215, p. 406, p. 414, p. 5.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 238, fig. 37.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 15, p. 203, p. 223, p. 234, p. 26, p. 3, p. 37, p. 38, p. 394, p. 396, p. 41, p. 45, p. 7, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 651.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 95.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 261, p. 336.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 310, p. 425.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 115.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 230, p. 319, p. 638, p. 686.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 230, p. 319, p. 638, p. 686.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 41.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 141.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 304.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url p. 57, p. 58.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 93.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 141.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 92.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 131.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 108, p. 114, p. 120, p. 13, p. 130, p. 136, p. 14, p. 157, p. 200, p. 288, p. 299, p. 568, p. 57, p. 77, p. 88, p. 92, p. 99.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 130, p. 131.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url .
- Comparative anatomy of vertebrates, adapted from the German of Dr. Robert Wiedersheim. .. by W. N. Parker. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1907. url p. 59.
- Contagious diseases of domesticated animals. Investigations by Department of agriculture, 1883-1884. Washington, Gov't. print. off., 1884. url p. 106.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 273.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 282.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 628.
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 6.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 256.
- Elements of the comparative anatomy of vertebrates. London, Macmillan, 1897. url .
- Familiar wild birds / [illustrations by A. Thornburn and others]. London: Cassel, 1903. url .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. 1 1883 London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url figure , p. 117, p. 167.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 302.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 289, p. 304.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 111.
- Forest birds, their haunts and habits; short studies from nature, by Harry F. Witherby. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & co., ltd., 1894. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 19, p. 22.
- General zoology, or Systematic natural history, by George Shaw. .. with plates from the first authorities and most selected specimens, engraved principally by Mr. Heath. London, Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 179, p. 183, p. 185, p. 188, p. 192, p. 227.
- General zoology, or, Systematic natural history / London: Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 158.
- Glacier garden, Lucerne. Lucerne: Bucher, 1913. url .
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 274.
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 92.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 92.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 306, p. 306, p. 5, p. 5.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 457, p. 458.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 457, p. 458.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 188, p. 35, p. 47, p. 65.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 425, p. 426.
- History and antiquities of Charnwood forest: with an appendix on the geology, botany & ornithology of the district. .. London: Hamilton, 1842. url p. 68.
- History of British animals / by John Fleming. Edinburgh: Bell & Bradfute; 1828. url p. 91.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 314.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 363.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 104, p. 121, p. 213, p. 24, p. 253, p. 256, p. 258, p. 264, p. 265, p. 267, p. 27, p. 30, p. 305, p. 360, p. 360, p. 396, p. 411, p. 423, p. 433, p. 527, p. 534, p. 555, p. 69, p. 69.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 211.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 372, p. 372.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 100, p. 111, p. 53.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 162, p. 163, p. 164, p. 209, p. 250, p. 357, p. 684.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 346.
- Knowledge. v. 1-40; Nov. 1881-Dec. 1917. LondonWyman [etc.] url p. 446.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London: [Printed by R. and A. Taylor], 1882. url p. 12.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum / [by G. R. Gray.] London: printed by the order of the Trustees, 1844-1867. url p. 72, p. 74.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 71.
- London birds and London insects and other sketches. London, H. Porter, 1892. url p. iii.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url p. 294.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 145, p. 18, p. 228, p. 228, p. 449.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 222.
- Memorial edition of Thomas Bewick's works. London, B. Quaritch, 1885-87. url p. xiv.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 28.
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 139, p. 200, p. 220.
- Monographia apum Angliæ; or, An attempt to divide into their naturla genera and families, such species of the Linnean genus Apis as have been discovered in England; with descriptions and observations. To which are prefixed so By William Kirby. Ipswich: Printed for the author by J. Raw., 1802. url p. 314.
- Monthly Magazine or British Register (of Politics, Literature and the Belles Lettres) London. url p. 434.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 107.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, by Alfred Smee. .. Illustrated with one thousand two hundred and fifty engravings. London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url p. 539.
- Natural history and antiquities of Selborne / by Gilbert White; with notes by Frank Buckland; a chapter on antiquities by Lord Selborne and new letters; illustrated by P. H. Delamotte. London: Macmillan and Co., 1876. url p. 89.
- Natural history of Selborne & observations on nature / by Gilbert White; with the text and new letters of the Buckland edition; introduction by John Burroughs; illustrations by Clifton Johnson. New York, Appleton, 1895. url p. 219.
- Natural history of Selborne, and observations on nature / by Gilbert White; with the text and new letters of the Buckland edition; introduction by John Burroughs; illustrations by Clifton Johnson. Toronto: Musson Book Co., 1904. url p. 219.
- Natural history rambles. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1879. url p. 50.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 327.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 327.
- Nature neighbors, containing articles by Gerald Alan Abbott, Dr. Albert Schneider, William Kerr Higley...and other eminent naturalists. Ed. by Nathaniel Moore Banta: six hundred forty-eight full-page color plates, con Chicago, American Audobon association[c1914] url , .
- New Mallophaga, 3. Comprising: Mallophaga from birds of Panama, Baja California and Alaska. San FranciscoCalifornia Academy of Sciences1899 url p. 124, p. 46.
- Nitzsch's Pterylography, tr. from the German. Ed. by Philip Lutley Sclater. 1867 London, Pub. for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url p. 177, p. 26, p. 40.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1905 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 236.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 124, p. 46.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 170.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 183, p. 184.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 651.
- Ornithological notes from Norfolk and Suffolk for 1885 / by T.E. Gunn. S.l.: s.n., 1886? url p. 7.
- Ornithological papers from his Deliciae florae et faunae insubricae (Ticini: 1786-1788). [Cambridge, Printed by C. J. Clay]1882. url .
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that county, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London, J. Van Voorst, 1855. url p. 214.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 106, p. 107, p. 176, p. 9, p. 97.
- Outlines of creation. By Elisha Noyce. .. London, Ward & Lock, 1858. url p. 282.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 228.
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 218.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 161, p. 162.
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 165, p. 39.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 11, p. 180, p. 180, p. 290, p. 290.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 507, p. 8.
- Proceedings of the Bristol Naturalists' Society. Bristol: The Society, 1863-1912. url p. 371.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 306, p. 567, p. 634.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 163, p. 288.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 9 1886 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 104, p. 105, p. 106, p. 365, p. 49, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1, p. 1041, p. 1041, p. 258, p. 323, p. 448, p. 449, p. 450, p. 51, p. 666, p. 737, p. 891.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 150, p. 161, p. 162, p. 165, p. 167, p. 171.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 143.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 19.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 263.
- Researches about atmospheric phenomena. By Thomas Forster. London: Printed for Harding, Mavor, and Lepard, 1823. url p. 353.
- Scenes and tales of country life with recollections of natural history / by Edward Jesse. London: J. Murray, 1844. url p. 165.
- Schlich's Manual of forestry. London: Bradbury, Agnew & Co., 1904-1906. url p. 143.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 302.
- Smithsonian herpetological information service. Washington: Division of Reptiles and Amphibians, U.S. National Museum. url p. 16, p. 31.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 144 1962 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 25, p. 365.
- Somerset archaeology and natural history: the proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. url p. 164.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 569.
- Supplement to the General synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh & Sotheby. .., 1787. url .
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life, by H. Eliot Howard, with illustrations by G. E. Lodge and H. Grönvold. New York, E. P. Dutton, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 168.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 1114.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 13, p. 149, p. 225, p. 225, p. 395, p. 501.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 199.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 318, p. 669.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 6.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 6, p. 6.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 198.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 266, p. 290.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 125, p. 127.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 323, p. 604.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 217.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 100, p. 848.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 254.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 524.
- The Naturalist. 1895 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 332.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 207.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 148.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 428.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 277.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 90, p. 90.
- The birds of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire: a contribution to the natural history of the two counties / by Alexander W. M. Clark Kennedy. Eton: Ingalton and Drake; 1868. url p. 43.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 144, p. 62.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 62, p. 62.
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county. By James Edmund Harting, F.Z.S. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866. url p. 104.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 285, p. liii.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url , p. 285.
- The birds of Sherwood Forest: with notes on their habits, nesting, migrations, etc., being a contribution to the natural history of the country / by W.J. Sterland; with four illustrations by the author. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 143.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London: John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 247, p. 247.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url , p. 250, p. 252.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 272.
- The faculties of birds. London: Charles Knight, . 22, Ludgate Street, 1835. url p. 329, p. 94.
- The farmer's and the planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & co., 1851. url p. 1114.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 148.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 604.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 34.
- The horticulturist: or, the culture and management of the kitchen, fruit, & forcing garden / by J.C. Loudon; edited and revised by William Robinson. London: F. Warne,  url p. 59.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 99.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 507, p. 998.
- The myology of the raven (Corvus corax sinuatus.) A guide to the study of the muscular system in birds. By R. W. Shufeldt. London, Macmillan and co., 1890. url p. 310, p. 310, p. 311, p. 311.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton / by the Rev. Gilbert White London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888 url .
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url , p. 343.
- The natural history of cage birds; their management, habits, food, diseases, treatment, breeding, and the methods of catching them. Edinburgh;W. & R. Chambers, 1845. url p. 309, p. 78.
- The natural history of the birds of Ireland, indigenous and migratory: containing descriptions of the habits, migrations, occurrence, and economy, of the 261 species comprised in the Fauna / by John J. Watters. Dublin: J. McGlashan, 1853. url p. 97.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 118.
- The naturalist in Siluria (Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Glamorganshire). By Captain Mayne Reid. .. Philadelphia, Gebbie & Co., 1890. url p. 219, p. 40, p. 41, p. 42, p. 48, p. 49, p. 52, p. 7.
- The naturalist in Siluria. London, S. Sonnenschein, 1889. url , , , , .
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 355.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url , p. 114, p. 148, p. 369.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. 1 London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 374.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 428.
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url .
- The suburban horticulturist; or, An attempt to teach the science and practice of the culture and management of the kitchen, fruit, & forcing garden to those who have had no previous knowledge or practice in these departments of g By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with numerous engravings on wood. London, William Smith, 1842. url p. 107.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 37.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url .
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 606.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 24.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 304, p. 304, p. 317, p. 317, p. 377.
- Voyages and travels in the Levant in the years 1749, 50, 51, 52: containing observations in natural history, physick, agriculture and commerce: particularly on the Holy Land and the natural history of the Scriptures / written originally in the Swedish language by the late Frederick Hasselquist; published. .. by Charles Linnaeus. London: Printed for L. Davis and C. Reymers, 1766. url p. 212.
- What is instinct? Some thoughts on telepathy and subconsciousness in animals, New York, F.A. Stokes Co. url .
- Woodland creatures; being some wild life studies, by Frances Pitt. London, G. Allen & Unwin ltd. url p. 59.
- Zoological illustrations, or, Original figures and descriptions of new, rare, or interesting animals: selected chiefly from the classes of ornithology, entomology, and conchology, and arranged on the principles of Cuvier and other modern zoologists / by William Swainson. London: Printed by R. and A. Taylor for Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy; and W. Wood, 1820-1823. url .
- Zoological lectures delivered at the Royal Institution by George Shaw; with plates from the first authorities and most select specimens, engraved principally by Mrs. Griffith. London, Kearsley, 1809. url .
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url , , , p. 345, p. 349.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 135, p. 20, p. 20, p. 271, p. 2946, p. 316, p. 478, p. 6805, p. 6805, p. 6890, p. 6890, p. 7478, p. 7813, p. 88, p. 89, p. 9730.
- BirdLife International 2009. Picus viridis. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 04February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11562
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-686546
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2494622
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 554121
- IUCN ID: 232821
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 150118