Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Grauwe Franjepoot, Rosse franjepoot
Common Names in English:
bank bird, gale bird, hyperborean phalarope, mackerel-goose, Northern Phalarope, red-necked phalarope, Rednecked Phalarope, sea-goose, sea-snipe, web-footed peep, whale-bird, white bank-bird
Common Names in French:
Phalarope ? bec ?troit, Phalarope , phalarope à bec étroit, phalarope Ã bec Ã©troit
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Круглоносый плавунчик, Плавунчик круглоносый
Common Names in Spanish:
Falaropo cuello rojo, Falaropo picofino
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult : Bill: black Shape : fine Body: Back: streaked.Adult Female Breeding Season : Head : blackish Face : Eye Stripe: white Lores : white Bill: black Shape: fine Neck: blackish with pale rusty patch extending around face Throat : white Body: Back: streaked Mantle: rich buff stripes.Adult Female Summer: Head: Crown: black Face: black Neck: rufous-red Body: Breast: gray sides Flanks: gray streaking Sides: gray streaking.Adult Male Breeding Season: Head: blackish Face: Eye Stripe: white Bill: black Shape: fine Neck: blackish with rufous patch Throat: white Body: Back: streaked Mantle: rich buff stripes.Adult Male Summer: Head: Crown: streaked gray Face: Forehead: streaked gray Bill: black Curvature: straight Shape: needle-shaped Neck: Throat: white Body: Back: dark gray with buff striping and feather edging Upperparts: white Legs : Foot Color: blue-gray Leg Color: blue-gray Leg Length: short.Adult Winter: Head: white Crown: blackish Bill: black Shape: fine Neck: white Hindneck: blackish Body: Back: streaked Mantle: dark gray with 2 whitish stripes down each side Rump : sides white, center blackish Underparts: white Legs: Leg Color: dark bluish-gray Wings : Remiges : blackish.Immature: Head: white Crown: blackish Bill: black Shape: fine Neck: white Hindneck: blackish Body: Back: streaked Mantle: dark gray with 2 whitish stripes down each side Rump: sides white, center blackish Underparts: white Legs: Leg Color: dark bluish-gray Wings: Remiges: blackish Tertials: buff-edged.
About 7.75 to 8 inches long, with a wingspan of 14 to 15 inches. Adults weigh about 1.2 ounces .
Behaviour This species is fully migratory and travels over
on both broad and narrow fronts1 using favoured
on route2. It breeds
late-May to August2 in solitary pairs, occasionally
colonies where suitable habitat
The species leaves the breeding grounds
between late-June and early-September2,
flocks and wintering
in flocks of
20-1001. Habitat Breeding The species
breeds in the Arctic
on coastal and inland tundra
tundra near lakes, pools1, ponds
or other permanent water-bodies3 with marshy
overgrown with grass
, sedge or moss1, 3
marshes and bogs2. It may also frequent
coastal moorland, flood-plains and islets
in large rivers
, and in
Iceland it commonly nests
on sparsely vegetated lava deserts1.
Non-breeding On passage
the species frequents inland saline
lakes1 as well as reservoirs
and coastal marshes2. During the winter it is largely
pelagic however, foraging
at sea in upwelling
zones and marine
with a high abundance
of plankton1. Diet
Breeding In its breeding range
consists of insects
and larval Diptera, beetles, caddisflies, ants
and Hemiptera) and other small invertebrates
and annelid worms)1, larval amphibians
and seeds1. Non-breeding On passage the
species may take larval brine-flies (Ephydra spp.
) from saline
lakes, but when feeding pelagically during the winter it feeds
and calanoid copepods
) and other floating
particles1. Breeding site The
nest is a shallow scrape on bare ground
or amongst sparse vegetation1
in sedge thickets or damp, grassy or hummocky areas close to water4.
information In the UK management regimes to benefit
the species include increasing the area of open water
digging small pools
, controlling water-levels and providing tussocky
vegetation suitable for nesting (through grazing by ponies and cattle)5.
List of Habitats:
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.6 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.8 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.14 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Saline, Brackish or Alkaline Lakes
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m)
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.6 Artificial/Aquatic - Wastewater Treatment Areas [more info]
Lesser Quantities of: Aquatic Invertebrates Seeds
- Clutch Size: 4
- Length of Incubation : 19(17-21) days
- Days to Fledge : 20
- Number of Broods: 1, occasionally 2
- Series: href="http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/title/579 ()
- Order: Charadriiformes ()
- Class: Aves ()
- Phylum: Chordata () - Chordates
Phalaropus lobatus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Phalaropus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url , .
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 780, p. 853.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url , p. 35.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 137, p. 137, p. 35, p. 35.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url , .
- A catalogue of the birds of Indiana / by Amos W. Butler. S.l.: s.n., 1891? url p. 117, p. 35, p. 35.
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 54, p. 98.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 10.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url .
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 270.
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 7.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 157.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over 250 species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field, by Ralph Huffmann...with four full page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and nearly 100 cuts in the text. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company1904 url p. 275, p. 356.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. By R. Bowdler Sharpe. .. London, E. Lloyd, Limited, 1896-1897. url p. 193.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 184.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 63.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell; ill. by 550 wood-engravings. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 97.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 130.
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url , , p. 284, p. 288.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 85, p. 89.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F. O. Morris. London, Groombridge and sons, [1851-57?] url .
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 310.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 597, p. 599, p. 605.
- A key to the birds of the Hawaiian group. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1901. url .
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 164.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 210, p. 388.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 44.
- A list of the birds of Maryland / F.C. Kirkwood. Baltimore, Md., 1895. url p. 282.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore: [Maryland Academy of Sciences], 1895. url p. 282, p. 282, p. 379, p. 379.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url , .
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 202, p. 216, p. 84.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 215.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 145, p. 43.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url , p. 145.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 149.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 754, p. 755.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 245.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 243.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url .
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 207.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A preliminary list of the birds of Wayne County, Ohio. Columbus, Westbote Co., State Printers, 1896. url p. 345.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 46.
- A revised catalogue of the birds of Kansas: with descriptive notes of the nests and eggs of the birds known to breed in the state / Pub. under the direction of the Executive Council, May, 1886. Topeka: Kansas Publishing House, 1886. url p. 14.
- A supplement to The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, Jr. and Edward Sturtevant. Middletown, R.I.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 12.
- Abstract of proceedings of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club of Philadelphia. [Philadelphia]Delaware Valley Ornithological Club. url p. 18, p. 42.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 103, p. 11, p. 133, p. 2, p. 26, p. 40, p. 5, p. 57, p. 6.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 110, p. 119, p. 136, p. 146, p. 177, p. 241, p. 246, p. 256, p. 30, p. 38, p. 40, p. 49, p. 70, p. 72.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 215.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 215.
- American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States: illustrated with plates engraved from drawings from nature / by Alexander Wilson and Charles Lucian Bonaparte. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, [1878?] url p. 355.
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url , .
- American ornithology; or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / by Alexander Wilson, and Charles Lucian Bonaparte; edited by Robert Jameson. Edinburgh: Constable, 1831. url p. 310.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 391, p. 391, p. 53.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url , p. 17, p. 535.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 159.
- Annotated list of the birds of Oneida County, N.Y., and its immediate vicinity, by Wm. L. Ralph and Egbert Bogg. Utica, N.Y.: E.H. Roberts, Printers, 1886. url p. 111.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 135.
- Annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: G.P.O., 1881-1897. url p. 57.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 239.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 257, p. 405.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 136, p. 146.
- Baby bird-finder. .. by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. .. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904-06. url p. 68.
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 527.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 134.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 705.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 110.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 273, p. xiii.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, by Irene Grosvenor Wheelock. .. with ten full-page plates and seventy-eight drawings in the text by Bruce Horsfall. Chicago, A. C. McClurg & co.1904. url p. 562.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 346.
- Birds of Marlborough; being a contribution to the ornithology of the district, by Everard F. Im Thurn. With an appendix. Marlborough, Perkins, "Times" office; [etc., etc.]1870. url p. 110, p. 93.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 164.
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 345.
- Birds of Michigan. illustrated by A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 47.
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 291.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url , p. 311, p. 312, p. 317, p. 342.
- Birds of the Hawaiian Islands; being a complete list of the birds of the Hawaiian possessions, with notes on their habits, Honolulu, H. T., T. G. Thrum, [c1902] url , , .
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 315, p. 315.
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, by Austin C. Apgar. New York, American book company[c1898] url p. 408.
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 362, p. 865.
- Birds of western New York. Rochester, N.Y., The Society, 1901. url p. 27.
- Birds that hunt and are hunted: life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] with introduction by G. O. Shields (Coquina) with many photographic illustrations in color and in black and white. New York: Doubleday, Page & company, 1908,  url p. 197.
- Birds that hunt and are hunted; life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water fowls, New York, Doubleday & McClure co. url .
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 282.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Birds. Washington, D. C., The Academy, 1904. url , .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 58.
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 619.
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described. .. S.l.s.n.pref. 1861 url p. 94.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 25, p. 26, p. 289, p. 90.
- British oology: being illustrations of the eggs of British birds, with figures of each species, as far as practicable, drawn and coloured from nature: accompanied by descriptions of the materials and situation of th Newcastle upon Tyne: Published for the author by C. Empson, [1833?-1838?] url .
- British zoology, London: Printed for Wilkie and Robinson [etc.], 1812. url p. 123.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 257, p. 405.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 139, p. 317, p. 422, p. 425, p. 432, p. 81.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 142, fig. 22, p. 83.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 251.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 80.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 235.
- Bulletin of the Bird Club of Princeton University. Princeton, N.J.: The Club, 1901. url , p. 26, p. 41.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 94 1944 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 115, p. 219, p. 219, p. 237, p. 237, p. 435, p. 58, p. 58.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 876.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 123.
- Canada's missing dimension: science and history in the Canadian Arctic Islands / Ottawa: Canadian Museum of Nature, 1990. url p. 521.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 52.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 176.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url .
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-1904. url p. 146.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 158.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 220, p. 223.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1017, p. 439, p. 764.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 439, p. 764.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 694, p. 696, p. 701, p. 705.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 69, p. 70.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 69, p. 70.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 257, p. 405.
- Check list of the birds of Ontario and catalogue of birds in the biological section of the Museum / Department of Education. Toronto: Dept. of Education, 1900. url p. 19.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 26.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1895. url .
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 208, p. 801.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 15.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 100.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 348.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url p. 53.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 163, p. 165, p. 279, p. 281.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 169, p. 170, p. 171, p. 173, p. 195, p. 196, p. 298, p. 595, p. 597, p. 598, p. 599, p. 601, p. 602, p. 603, p. 608, p. 609, p. 774.
- Ecology and conservation of the marbled murrelet / [technical editors, C. John Ralph. .. et al.]. Albany, Calif.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station,  url p. 323.
- Eggs of British birds, with an account of their breeding-habits. Limicolae. With 54 coloured plates. By Frank Poynting. London, R.H. Porter, 1895-96. url p. 3.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 17, p. 17.
- Ethnological results of the Point Barrow expedition. By John Murdoch, naturalist and observer, International polar expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska, 1881-1883 Washington, 1892 url p. 57.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 258, p. 288.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url p. 405.
- Fauna hawaiiensis; Cambridge, Eng., The University press, 1913. url p. 453.
- Feathered game of New England / by Walter H. Rich; with illustrations by the author. London: G. Harrap, 1908. url p. 102, p. 429.
- Feathered game of the Northeast / by Walter H. Rich; with ill. by the author. New York: T.Y. Crowell, 1907. url p. 102, p. 429.
- Feathered game of the Northeast, New York, T. Y. Crowell & Co.[c1907] url , .
- Feathered game of the Northeast, by Walter H. Rich; with illustrations by the author. New York, T.Y. Crowell & Co. url p. 102, p. 102, p. 429, p. 429.
- First report of the state zoo?logist: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota / by P.L. Hatch, Henry F. Nachtrieb, state zoo?logist. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota: 1892. url p. 459, p. 479.
- First report: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota, by P. L. Hatch. 1892. url p. 113, p. 459, p. 479.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 304.
- Game birds and birds of prey, life histories of one hundredand seventy birds of prey, game birds and water fowls; with introduction by G.O. Shields (Coquina) Toronto, Morang, 1898. url .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1981 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 153.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 250.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 282.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 193.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 101.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America. New York, Appleton, 1907. url p. 148.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 84.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 165, p. 255, p. 41.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 260.
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 148, p. 148.
- How to know the shore birds (Limicolae) of North America (south of Greenland and Alaska) all the species being grouped according to size and color / by Charles B. Cory. [Boston?: s.n.], 1897 url .
- Hunting and fishing in Florida, including a key to the water birds known to occur in the state / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 176.
- Hunting and fishing in Florida: including a key to the water birds known to occur in the State / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1896 [c1895] url p. 176.
- IUCN Directory of Protected Areas in Oceania IUCN url p. 194, p. 444.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 199, p. 290.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 130, p. 182, p. 293, p. 321, p. 334, p. 409, p. 438, p. 464, p. 512, p. 516, p. 661.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 74.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 162, p. 162, p. 165, p. 165.
- Journal and proceedings of the Hamilton Association. [Hamilton, Ont.]: Printed for the Hamilton Association by the Spector Printing Co., -1899. url , p. 107.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 796.
- Key to the water birds of Florida. Boston, Barta Press1896. url p. 44.
- Kingsbridge and its surroundings. By S.P. Fox. Plymouth: Printed for the compiler by G.P. Friend, 1874. url p. 258.
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 472.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, by Lyman Belding. San Francisco, California academy of sciences, 1890. url p. 267.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British museum. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1845-55. url p. 104.
- London birds and London insects and other sketches. London, H. Porter, 1892. url p. iii.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 45.
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement January 1988 UNESCO, IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url .
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 274, p. 274, p. 322, p. 322, p. 362, p. 362, p. 379, p. 396, p. 436, p. 513.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 8, p. 82, p. 83.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url , p. 66.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 335, p. 335.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 153, p. 163, p. 345, p. 418.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 249, fig. 21, page 26, p. 48, p. 7, fig. 1, page 8, p. 81.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url , .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 166, p. 167.
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 140, p. 53.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 135.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 270.
- Natural history rambles. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1879. url p. 101.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 145.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds by Oliver Davie; introduction by J. Parker Norris; illustrations by Theodore Jasper and W. Otto Emerson. Columbus [Ohio]: Hann & Adair, 1889. url .
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 348.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 109, p. 348.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 125, p. 138, p. 52, p. 55, p. 58, p. 61, p. 65, p. 73, p. 85, p. 85, p. 88, p. 91, p. 94.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 67.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 267, p. 64.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 876.
- Ornithological biography, or an account of the habits of the birds of the United States of America; accompanied by descriptions of the objects represented in the work entitled The Birds of America, and interspersed with delineations of American scenery and manners / Edinburgh: Adam Black, 1831-1839. url p. 401.
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that country, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London:J. Van Voarst, 1850. url p. 236.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url , p. 138.
- Our feathered game: a handbook of the North American game birds / by Dwight W. Huntington; with eight full-page shooting scenes in color and one hundred and thirty-five bird portraits. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1911, c1903. url p. 381.
- Our feathered game; a handbook of the North American game birds, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1911. url .
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 515, p. 518.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 48.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 128, p. 128, p. 18, p. 18, p. 25, p. 25, p. 48, p. 68, p. 73.
- Papers from the Hopkins-Stanford Galapagos expedition, 1898-1899. Washington, D.C., The Academy, 1901-1905. url p. 232, p. 257.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 153.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 139, p. 150, p. 150, p. 22, p. 5.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, Calif.: The Academy, 1897- url p. 322, p. 362, p. 424.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 414.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 97, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 578.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 216.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 20.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url p. 111, p. 111, p. 94, p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url .
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 134, p. 198, p. 248, p. 260, p. 281, p. 403, p. 414, p. 425, p. 492, p. 497, p. 717, p. 759, p. 925.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 257, p. 427.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 400, p. 400, p. 406, p. 406.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 413.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , p. 390.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 154.
- Report of the Brown-Harvard expedition to Nachvak, Labrador, 1900, Providence, R.I., Preston & Rounds co., 1902. url p. 204.
- Report of the state zoölogist. Minneapolis, 1892-1895. url p. 459, p. 479.
- Report on bird migration in the Mississippi valley in the years 1884 and 1885 / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1888. url , .
- Report on the birds of Pennsylvania: with special reference to the food habits, based on over four thousand stomach examinations / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg: E.K. Meyers, State Printer, 1890. url .
- Report on the proceedings of the United States expedition to Lady Franklin Bay, Grinnell Land Washington: G.P.O., 1888. url , .
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 335.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 705.
- Results of a biological reconnoisance of the Yukon river region. General account of the region. Annotated list of mammals. By Wilfred H. Osgood. Annotated list of birds. By Louis B. Bishop. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1900. url p. 52, p. 55, p. 65, p. 99.
- Results of a biological reconnoissance of the Yukon River region prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Results of the first Joint US-USSR Central Pacific Expedition (BERPAC): Autumn 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 231.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 58, p. 60.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url .
- Scandinavian adventures, during a residence of upwards of twenty years; representing sporting incidents, and subjects of natural history, and devices for entrapping wild animals. With some account of the northern fauna. By L. Lloyd. London: R. Bentley, 1854. url p. 411.
- Scientific results of the Katmai expeditions of the National Geographic Society. I-X. By Robert F. Griggs, J.W. Shipley, Jasper D. Sayre, Paul R. Hagelbarger and James S. Hine. Columbus: The Ohio State University, 1920. url , .
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 152, p. 155, p. 296, p. 316.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1255, p. 1266, p. 1575.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 239, p. 63.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 134, p. 318, p. 666, p. 79.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 32.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 16.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 505.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , , , p. 123, p. 126, p. 134, p. 141, p. 150, p. 151, p. 157, p. 157, p. 172, p. 172, p. 173, p. 173, p. 183, p. 189, p. 202, p. 213, p. 226, p. 227, p. 230, p. 240, p. 250, p. 252, p. 28, p. 280, p. 285, p. 293, p. 295, p. 302, p. 305, p. 310, p. 319, p. 321, p. 336, p. 339, p. 344, p. 351, p. 351, p. 353, p. 353, p. 356, p. 373, p. 387, p. 395, p. 397, p. 401, p. 411, p. 413, p. 418, p. 424, p. 427, p. 431, p. 436, p. 439, p. 445, p. 448, p. 462, p. 474, p. 484, p. 51, p. 519, p. 525, p. 57, p. 68, p. 70, p. 73, p. 74, p. 76, p. 78, p. 90.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 102.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 42 1928 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url hantzsch , p. 105, p. 13, p. 175, p. 189, p. 197, p. 221, p. 234, p. 288, p. 289, p. 293, p. 375, p. 423, p. 431, p. 494, p. 554, p. 6, p. 601, p. 636, p. 679, p. 725, p. 756, p. 96.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 292.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url , , p. 267, p. 267, p. 273.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 225.
- The Great Basin naturalist. Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url , , p. 185, p. 197, p. 367, p. 519.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 109.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 665.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 129.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 311.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society: a quarterly journal of Maine ornithology. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 18.
- The Labrador coast. A journal of two summer cruises to that region. New York: N.D.C. Hodges, 1891. url .
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 528.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 480.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 128, p. 180, p. 182, p. 3.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 87.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 131, p. 131, p. 37.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 126, p. 195.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 29.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 75.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 25, p. 25, p. 50, p. 50.
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 45.
- The birds of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire: a contribution to the natural history of the two counties / by Alexander W. M. Clark Kennedy. Eton: Ingalton and Drake; 1868. url p. 197.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Celebes and the neighbouring islands / A.B. Meyer and L.W. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedländer, 1898. url p. 785, p. 950.
- The birds of Chile, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 19 1932 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1932. url p. 386.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 251, p. 251.
- The birds of Erie and Presque Isle, Erie County, Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh?: s.l., 1904? url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 163, p. 345.
- The birds of Fergus County, Montana / by P. M. Silloway. Lewistown, Mont.: Press of the Argus, 1903. url p. 17, p. 9.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and Company[c1891] url , p. 54.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 390, p. 759.
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 688, p. 689.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 688, p. 689.
- The birds of Indiana; a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url , , .
- The birds of Iowa / by Rudolph M. Anderson. Davenport, Iowa: Davenport Academy of Sciences, 1907. url p. 414.
- The birds of Long Island. By J. P. Giraud, Jr. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url p. 246.
- The birds of Manitoba by Ernest E. Thompson. Washington: G.P.O., 1891. url , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 149, p. 149, p. 43, p. 43.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 333.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 436, p. 436, p.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url , p. 436.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url , .
- The birds of Ontario being a list of birds observed in the Province of Ontario, with an account of their habits, distribution, nests, eggs, &c. / by Thomas McIlwarith. Hamilton, [Ont.]: Hamilton Association, 1886. url , .
- The birds of Ontario, being a list of birds observed in the province of Ontario, with an account of their habits, distribution, nests, eggs &c., by Thomas McIlwraith, for the Migration committee of the American ornithologist's union. Pub. by the Hamilton association. Hamilton, A. Lawson & co., printers, 1886. url , p. 87.
- The birds of Ontario; being a concise account of every species of bird known to have been found in Ontario with a description of their nests and eggs and instructions for collecting birds and preparing and preserving skins By Thomas McIlwraith. London, T. F. Unwin, 1894. url p. 126, p. 126.
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url , .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 105, p. 47.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London: John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 433, p. 433, p. 640, p. 640.
- The birds of Springfield and vicinity / Springfield, Mass.: Henry R. Johnson, l901. url , .
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 77.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url .
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 591.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 343.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 343.
- The birds of eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with introductory chapters on geographical distribution and migration, prepared under the direction of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club by Witmer Stone. Philadelphia, Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1894. url p. 182.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 211, p. 63.
- The birds of the west of Scotland: including the outer Hebrides, with occasional records of the occurrence of the rarer species throughout Scotland generally / by Robert Gray. Glasgow: T. Murray & Son, 1871. url p. 327.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 145, p. 145.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 159, p. 20, p. 249.
- The development of nestling feathers, by Lynds Jones. Oberlin, Ohio, 1907. url .
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url , , , , , .
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The game birds of California / Berkeley: University of California Press, 1918. url .
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 339, p. 341.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany. London: Hatchards, 1878. url p. 37.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom: quadruped, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects de by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. London: Mackenzie, [1859-62?] url p. 442.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 365.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url , p. 336.
- The naturalist in Bermuda; a sketch of the geology, zoology, and botany of that remarkable group of islands; together with meteorological observations. By John Matthew Jones. .. Assisted by Major J. W. Wedderburn. .. and J. L. Hurdis. London, Reeves & Turner, 1859. url p. 199, p. 47.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 311, p. 311, p. 311.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 266.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 128, p. 180, p. 182.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 78.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url , p. 78, p. 78, p. 79, p. 79.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 15.
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 323, p. 591.
- The water-fowl family, London, The Macmillan company, 1903. url p. 323, p. 323, p. 591, p. 591.
- Trails and tramps in Alaska and Newfoundland / by William S. Thomas. New York, G.P. Putnam's, 1913. url p. 64.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 62, p. 62, p. 62, p. 63, p. 63.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 77.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 156, p. 167, p. 260.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Science and Literature. Baltimore: The Academy, 1837. url p. 282, p. 379.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 14, p. 274.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 236, p. 250.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 154, p. 24, p. 37.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 26.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 26.
- Visitors' guide to the local collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City: with an annotated list of the birds known to occur within fifty miles of New York City / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: Printed for the Museum, 1894. url p. 31, p. 97.
- Water Birds on the Edge: first circumpolar assessment of climate chage impact of Arctic breeding water birds. WCMC Biodiversity Series 11 UNEP-WCMC url p. 14.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 139, p. 139, p. 426, p. 429, p. 55, p. 55.
- Zoological series / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey, 1892-1912. url p. 459, p. 479.
- Zoological series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892-1912. url p. 459, p. 479.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 114, p. 1749, p. 28, p. 2853, p. 5083, p. 84.
- BirdLife International 2009. Phalaropus lobatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8171
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176735
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2478838
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176735
- IUCN ID: 231683
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNF20020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 884