Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Species Pericrocotus flammeus
The Scarlet Minivet is a songbird that is also known as the Orange Minivet. It is distinguished from other Minivets by its brilliant colored feathers , which are described as scarlet to a fiery orange color. The Scarlet Minivet has a strong beak that is half the size as its head . This bird's wings are long with each feather sticking out from the next. The Minivets feet are small and fragile. Scarlet Minivet weighs on average 29 grams . The length of the Minivet is about 20.3 cm, with the tail measuring 9.4cm and the wings being 9.1cm long. The colors of the male are black and orange-red to scarlet. The female is described as gray and olive-yellow above, yellow below with 2 yellow bars on black wings. The juvenile male shares the same coloration as the female until it reaches maturity. The song of the Scarlet Minivet is described as a pleasant whistling sung in flight or perched.
Scarlet Minivets live in forests and gardens. They are not considered a highly migratory bird.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,196 meters (0 to 10,486 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.8 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Swamp
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
A variety of insects.
The nesting period for the Scarlet Minivet is between April and July, there is slight variation of a month due to location. This bird nests high up in the treetops anywhere from 3-12 m (10 to 40 ft ) up. The nest is a cup-like structure closely woven with small twigs and using spider-webs to increase the strength of the nest. Both male and female parents raise the offspring. The Scarlet Minivet eggs are pale green and spotted.
The Minivet catches insects while in flight or while perched. It scares insects out of foliage by beating its wings hard and fast flushing out the prey . They are described as arboreal , keeping together in flocks of sometimes 30 or more birds.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves ()
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Pericrocotus flammeus (Forster, 1781)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Pericrocotus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 21 species and subspecies in this genus:
P. brevirostris (Short-Billed Minivet) · P. brevirostris brevirostris (Short-Billed Minivet) · P. cantonensis (Brown-Rumped Minivet) · P. cinnamomeus (Small Minivet) · P. cinnamomeus cinnamomeus (Small Minivet) · P. divaricatus (Ashy Minivet) · P. divaricatus divaricatus (Ashy Minivet) · P. erythropygius (White-Bellied Minivet) · P. erythropygius erythropygius (White-Bellied Minivet) · P. ethologus (Long-Tailed Minivet) · P. ethologus ethologus (Long-Tailed Minivet) · P. flammeus (Scarlet Minivet) · P. flammeus flammeus (Scarlet Minivet) · (Fiery Minivet) · P. igneus igneus (Fiery Minivet) · P. lansbergei (Little Minivet) · P. miniatus (Sunda Minivet) · P. roseus (Rosy Minivet) · P. roseus roseus (Rosy Minivet) · P. solaris (Yellow-Throated Minivet) · P. tegimae (Ryukyu Minivet)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 123.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url , , p. 326, p. 363.
- A manual of the Nílagiri district in the Madras Presidency. Compiled and edited by H. B. Grigg. Madras, Printed by E. Keys at the Government Press, 1880. url p. 162.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 627.
- Birds of Asia / by John Gould. II 1850-83 London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, pub. by the author, 1850-1883. url p. .
- Birds of the Indian Hills. London, John Lane, 1915. url , .
- Birds of the Indian hills, by Douglas Dewar. A companion volume to the bird volumes of "The fauna of British India." London, John Lane company; [etc., etc.]1915. url p. 199, p. 238.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 482.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 109, p. 233, p. 235, p. 256, p. 259, p. 267, p. 268, p. 273, p. 319, p. 550, p. 552, p. 577, p. 586, p. 588, p. 610.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1971 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 184, p. 184.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 115.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 113, p. 237.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 471, p. 75.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 297.
- Catalogue of the birds found in Ceylon: with some remarks on their habits and local distribution, and descriptions of two new species peculiar to the island / London: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 438.
- Catalogue of the birds in the Museum Asiatic Society / by Edward Blyth. Published by order of the society. Calcutta: J. Thomas, 1849. url p. 192.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 297.
- Ceylon: an account of the island, physical, historical, and topographical with notices of its natural history, antiquities and productions / by Sir James Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1860. url p. 178.
- Ceylon; an account of the island, physical, historical, and topographical, with notices of its natural history, antiquities and productions, by Sir James Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1860. url p. 178.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 215, p. 216.
- Distributional notes on Nepal birds [by] Robert L. Fleming and Melvin A. Traylor. 53 1968 [Chicago]Field Museum of Natural History, 1968. url p. 193.
- Glimpses of Indian birds, London, John Lane Company; [etc., etc.]1913. url .
- Handbook to the birds of the Bombay presidency, by Lieut. H. Edwin Barnes. .. Calcutta, The Calcutta Central Press, 1885. url , p. 151, p. 151, p. 447, p. 447.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 290.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 110, p. 117, p. 161, p. 162, p. 174, p. 288, p. 368, p. 437, p. 505, p. 526.
- List of the birds of India. 78 p.24 cm. url p. 19.
- Materials for the study of variation treated with especial regard to discontinuity in the origin of species. By William Bateson. London, Macmillan and co., 1894. url p. 46, p. 46, p. 587.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 194.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 324.
- Sketches of the natural history of Ceylon: with narratives and anecdotes illustrative of the habits and instincts of the mammalia, birds, reptiles, fishes, insects, &c.: including a monograph of the elephant and a description of the modes of by Sir J. Emerson Tennent. London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts, 1868 url p. 267.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url .
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url , p. 172, p. 190, p. 197, p. 207, p. 208, p. 211, p. 265, p. 366, p. 391, p. 393, p. 394, p. 400, p. 438, p. 459, p. 472, p. 552, p. 58, p. 80.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 127, p. 127, p. 97, p. 97.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 13, p. 299, p. 311, p. 460, p. 664, p. 941.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 175.
- The birds of India: being a natural history of all the birds known to inhabit continental India, with descriptions of the species, genera, families, tribes, and orders, and a brief notice of such families as are not foun Calcutta: Printed for the Author by the Military Orphan Press. .., 1862-1864. url p. 420.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds / Allan O. Hume. London: R. H. Porter, 1889-1890. url , p. 336, p. 336, p. x.
- The nests and eggs of Indian birds. London, R. H. Porter, 1889-90. url .
- The ornithological works of Arthur, ninth Marquis of Tweeddale / edited and revised by Robert G. Wardlaw Ramsay; together with a biographical sketch of the author by William Howard Russell. London: Taylor and Francis, 1881. url p. 110.
- The passerine birds of Ceylon / by W.E. Wait. S.l.: s.n., 1922? url p. 90, p. 96.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 75.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2009. Pericrocotus flammeus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 03February2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 10, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Honolulu Zoo
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 13, 2008:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum: Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 4220
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-561919
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13548090
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 561919
- IUCN ID: 231234
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 140284