Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Beal's petrel, Chapman petrel, Common fork-tailed petrel, dusky-rumped petrel, Kaeding's petrel, kerry chicken, Leach's fork-tailed petrel, Leach's Petrel, Leach's Storm Petrel, Leach's Storm-petrel, Leach's Stormpetrel, Mother Carey's chicken, Socorro petrel, white-rumped petrel
Common Names in French:
P?trel cul-blanc, Oc, ocÃ©anite cul-blanc, océanite cul-blanc, Océanite culblanc, Pétrel culblanc
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Uccello d. t. codaforcuta, Uccello delle tempeste codaforcuta
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pa, PaÃÃ±o de Leach, PaÌño Boreal, Paíño de Leach
Common Names in Swedish:
About 7.5 to 9 inches long, with a wingspan of 18 to 19 inches. Adults weigh about 1.2 ounces .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, pelagic waters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: High
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 29 meters (94 feet).
This species is marine
and pelagic, often occuring in areas of convergence
or over continental shelves, rarely coming near land
except at colonies. Its diet
comprises mainly of small fish, squid,
crustaceans and offal
which is catches on the wing
dipping, skimming or snatching
from the surface.It sometimes follows
marine mammals feeding on left overs or faeces
. Its breeding season
is variable depending on locality
, forming colonies on offshore islands
on high ground
, usually among rocks but also in soft soil
List of Habitats :
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m)
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands [more info]
Mostly: Fish Aquatic Invertebrates Carrion
- Breeding Habitat : N/A
- Nest Location: N/A
- Nest Type: N/A
- Clutch Size: 1
- Length of Incubation : 38-46 days
- Days to Fledge : 63-70
- Number of Broods: 1
- Kingdom: Animalia () - animals
Oceanodroma leucorhoa (Vieillot, 1818)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, Band-Rumped Storm-Petrel
Members of the genus Oceanodroma
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 23 species and subspecies in this genus:
O. castro (Band-Rumped Storm Petrel) · O. castro castro (Band-Rumped Storm Petrel) · O. furcata (Ashy Storm-Petrel) · O. furcata furcata (Fork-Tailed Storm-Petrel) · O. furcata plumbea (Fork-Tailed Storm-Petrel) · O. homochroa (Oceanodroma Homochroa) · O. hornbyi (Hornby's Storm Petrel) · O. leucorhoa (Leach's Fork-Tailed Petrel) · O. leucorhoa beali (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. leucorhoa chapmani (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. leucorhoa leucorhoa (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. leucorhoa socorroensis (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. leucorhoa willetti (Leach's Storm-Petrel) · O. macrodactyla (Guadalupe Island Petrel) · O. markhami (Markham's Storm-Petrel) · O. matsudairae (Matsudaira's Storm-Petrel) · O. melania (Black Storm Petrel) · O. microsoma (Least Storm Petrel) · (Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel) · O. monteiroi (Monteiro's Storm-Petrel) · O. tethys (Wedge-Rumped Storm Petrel) · O. tethys tethys (Galapagos Storm Petrel) · O. tristrami (Tristram's Storm Petrel)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 851.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 147.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 16.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 16, p. 16.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 43, p. 97.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over 250 species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field, by Ralph Huffmann...with four full page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and nearly 100 cuts in the text. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company1904 url p. 355.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 149.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 158, p. 174, p. 24.
- A list of the birds of Maryland / F.C. Kirkwood. Baltimore, Md., 1895. url p. 256.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore: [Maryland Academy of Sciences], 1895. url p. 256, p. 256, p. 379, p. 379.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url , .
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 215, p. 33.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 7.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 584.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 634.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A pocket list of the birds of eastern Massachusetts, with especial reference to Essex County, by Albert P. Morse. .. Salem, Mass., Peabody academy of science, 1912. url p. 18.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url , .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 263.
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url , p. 8, p. 92.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 108, p. 13, p. 137, p. 26, p. 27, p. 63, p. 72, p. 85.
- Additions to the ornithology of Guadalupe Island. By Walter E. Bryant. San Francisco?1887 url .
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , p. 4.
- Annotated list of birds of Wellesley and vicinity; comprising the land-birds and most of the inland water-fowl of eastern Massachusetts; by Albert Pitts Morse. .. Wellesley, Mass., The author, 1897. url p. 11.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 105, p. 163, p. 490, p. 700, p. 83.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url , p. 141, p. 467, p. 553.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 69.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 14, p. 219, p. 404.
- Baby bird-finder. .. by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. .. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904-06. url p. 29.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 122.
- Biology and conservation of the common murre in California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia / editors, David A. Manuwal. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, - url p. 104.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 451.
- Bird guide...east of the Rockies, by Chester A. Reed. New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1910. url p. 63.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 63.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. 1 1923 New York, The University Society, 1923. url figure , p. 85.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A. C. McClurg, 1904. url .
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 321.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 156.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url p. 447.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url , p. 163, p. 490, p. 700.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 700.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 163.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 44.
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url p. 617.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url , p. 216.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: F.A. Acland, 1922. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: F. A. Acland, 1922. url p. 60, p. 60.
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 59.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 59.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 59.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url , .
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 395, p. 85.
- Birds of the Pacific coast, including a brief account of the distribution and habitat of one hundred and eighteen birds that are more or less common to the Pacific coast states and British Columbia, many of which are found east by Willard Ayres Eliot; with fifty-six color plates, by R. Bruce Horsfall. 1923 New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1923. url p. 174.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, by Austin C. Apgar. New York, American book company[c1898] url p. 407.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 863.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 142, p. 183, p. 241, p. 250, p. 26, p. 26.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 219, p. 404.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 133, p. 134, p. 137, p. 146, p. 147, p. 316, p. 320, p. 323, p. 63, p. 97.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1967 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 113, p. 64, p. 69.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 194, p. 26, p. 366.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 276.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 109 1953 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 310, fig. 4, page 399, p. 627, p. 646.
- Bulletin. California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco. San Francisco url p. 276, p. 532.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 119, p. 255, p. 88.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 22, p. 344, p. 345, p. 349, p. iii.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 100, p. 98, p. 99.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 219, p. 404.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 14, p. 500.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 21, p. 22, p. 660, p. 663, p. 674, p. 685, p. 690.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 28, p. 799.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 114, p. 73.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 7.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 99.
- Coastal waterbird colonies: Cape Elizabeth, Maine to Virginia / by R. Michael Erwin; performed for Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. Washington, D.C.: Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 2.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 66, p. 66.
- Commercial fisheries review. [Washington]: National Marine Fisheries Service; [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.] url p. 21, p. 24.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 147, p. 169, p. 248, p. 28, p. 36, p. 54, p. 84, p. 85, p. 99.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Draft environmental impact statement prepared on the proposed Point Reyes/Farallon Islands Marine Sanctuary / Washington: The Office, 1980. url p. 37.
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 16.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 402, p. 403.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 556, p. 970.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 24, p. 38, p. 4.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 2, p. 24.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 2.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url , p. 2.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 51.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 523, p. 593.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 126, p. 439, p. 441, p. 575.
- Illustrated bird dictionary and note book: Water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City (N.Y.): Doubleday, Page & Co., 1912. url p. 28.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 63.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 174, p. 175, p. 701.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 893.
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Life histories of North American diving birds; order Pygopodes. New York, Dodd, Mead, 1946. url p. 133.
- Life histories of North American petrels and pelicans and their allies: order Tubinares and order Steganopodes / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1922. url , , , , .
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 109, p. 193, p. 344, p. 417, p. 45, p. 98.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 105.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 751, p. 751.
- Nature in Acadie / London: John Bale, 1895. url .
- Nature in Acadie by H.K. Swann. London: J. Bale, 1895. url .
- Nests and eggs of North American birds by Oliver Davie. Columbus [Ohio]: Landon Press, 1898. url .
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 83.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , p. 375, p. 375, p. 47, p. 47, p. 51, p. 51, p. 54.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url .
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 1197, p. 124, p. 727, p. 733, p. 745.
- Ornithological gazetteer of Uruguay / Raymond A. Paynter, Jr. Cambridge, Mass.: Obtainable from Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1994. url p. 104.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 172.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 43, p. 515, p. 524.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 14, p. 14, p. 141, p. 141, p. 15, p. 15, p. 64.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 180.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 61.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 10.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 160, p. 20, p. 21, p. 62, p. 63.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 17, p. 201, p. 233, p. 9.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 120, p. 15, p. 16, p. 160, p. 162, p. 20, p. 21, p. 286, p. 286, p. 349, p. 559, p. 563, p. 580, p. 584, p. 62, p. 63.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 123, p. 15, p. 215, p. 33.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 125, p. 165, p. 167, p. 168, p. 171, p. 172, p. 278, p. 4, p. 41, p. 477, p. 557, p. 648, p. 691.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 24.
- Report of the Brown-Harvard Expedition to Nachvak, Labrador, 1900 / by E.B. Delabarre. Providence, R.I.: Preston & Rounds Co., 1902. url p. 203.
- Report of the Brown-Harvard expedition to Nachvak, Labrador, 1900, Providence, R.I., Preston & Rounds co., 1902. url p. 203.
- Report on the birds of Pennsylvania: with special reference to the food habits, based on over four thousand stomach examinations / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg: E.K. Meyers, State Printer, 1890. url .
- Report on the progress and condition of the United States National Museum. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1907-1951. url p. 201.
- Results of the first Joint US-USSR Central Pacific Expedition (BERPAC): Autumn 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 237.
- Results of the second joint U.S.-U.S.S.R. Bering Sea Expedition Summer 1984 [Moscow?]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 1990 url p. 197.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 307.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 13, p. 186, p. 292.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 56 1912 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 10, p. 17.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 105, p. 109, p. 40.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url p. 32.
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url , .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 45.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , , p. 125, p. 128, p. 131, p. 146, p. 161, p. 172, p. 173, p. 177, p. 202, p. 21, p. 244, p. 27, p. 293, p. 297, p. 297, p. 298, p. 298, p. 301, p. 302, p. 303, p. 34, p. 35, p. 37, p. 372, p. 414, p. 415, p. 415, p. 426, p. 430, p. 436, p. 438, p. 460, p. 461, p. 466, p. 467, p. 50, p. 557, p. 592, p. 644, p. 75, p. 84, p. 85, p. 95, p. 97.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , townsend , stoddard , townsend , , p. 11, p. 135, p. 138, p. 17, p. 174, p. 177, p. 185, p. 195, p. 197, p. 199, p. 199, p. 201, p. 214, p. 214, p. 234, p. 236, p. 239, p. 286, p. 287, p. 293, p. 352, p. 373, p. 427, p. 433, p. 436, p. 440, p. 448, p. 450, p. 46, p. 46, p. 480, p. 498, p. 500, p. 509, p. 536, p. 554, p. 569, p. 570, p. 572, p. 6, p. 636, p. 661, p. 665, p. 667, p. 669, p. 671, p. 672, p. 673, p. 676, p. 676, p. 733, p. 734, p. 741, p. 754, p. 786, p. 86, p. 87, p. 87, p. 98.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society: a quarterly journal of Maine ornithology. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 20, p. 21.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3126, p. 3480.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url , p. 193.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url p. 158, p. 589, p. 72.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 123.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 70.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url , , .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 194, p. 194, p. 26, p. 26, p. 366, p. 366.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 109, p. 344.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and company, 1891. url p. 49.
- The birds of Maine; with key to and description of the various species known to occur or to have occured in the state, an account of their distribution and migration, showing their relative abundance in the various count by Ora Willis Knight. .. Bangor, Me.[printed by C. H. Glass & co.]1908. url p. 68.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 69.
- The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, and Edward Sturtevant. [S.l.: s.n.], 1899. url p. 32.
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 32.
- The birds of Springfield and vicinity / Springfield, Mass.: Henry R. Johnson, l901. url .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 331.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 331.
- The birds of eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with introductory chapters on geographical distribution and migration, prepared under the direction of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club by Witmer Stone. Philadelphia, Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1894. url p. 181.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url , .
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 104, p. 104, p. 104.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 23.
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url .
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 315, p. 315, p. 315.
- The ornithology of Chester County, Pennsylvania, by Franklin Lorenzo Burns, in co-operation with local ornithologists. .. Boston, R. G. Badger[c1919] url p. 32, p. 32.
- The sport of bird-study / by Herbert Keightley Job; profusely illustrated with photographs from life by the author. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1908. url p. 290.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 8.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 20 1985 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 320, p. 321, p. 322, p. 335.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 285.
- Visitors' guide to the local collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City: with an annotated list of the birds known to occur within fifty miles of New York City / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: Printed for the Museum, 1894. url p. 20, p. 97.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 47.
- BirdLife International 2009. Oceanodroma leucorhoa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 02February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- EMAN Provider, PIROP
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Centre
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Bay of Fundy Species List
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Seabird 2000
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Bird Collection
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9088
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174628
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481685
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174628
- IUCN ID: 227502
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNDC04020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 5483
- Standard Deviation = 45.550 based on 131,291 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Oceanodroma leucorhoa. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 02 February 2012. [back]