Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
snowshoe hare, Snowshoe Rabbit, varying hare
Common Names in French:
Li, liÃ¨vre d'AmÃ©rique, lièvre d'Amérique
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,495 meters (0 to 8,186 feet).
Lepus americanus is associated with boreal and mixed deciduous
of North America. It requires fairly dense vegetation, which
it uses as cover
. This species requires snow cover, because of its
white winter pelage. Two subspecies
along the Pacific coast fail
white and may be more common in Pacific forests with little
or no winter snow cover. Requires mixed forest with dense understory
Typically, stands aged 25-40 years are ideal. L. americanus
also seems to favor edge
consists mostly of grasses,
, sedges, and ferns (Murray 2003).
The total length of L. americanus is 36.0 - 52.0 cm (Banfield 1974; Hall 1981). The breeding season of L. americanus is from March to September and is subject to photoperiod control (Murray 2003). The average number of litters by L. americanus varies according to location with 1.9 litters per year in Alaska and 3.8 litters per year in Wisconsin (Murray 2003). Litter size varies according to location and number of previous litters produced (Murray 2003). (Ref. 282740).
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.2 Forest - Subarctic
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.3 Artificial/Terrestrial - Plantations
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens [more info]
Snowshoe hares stay active all winter, denning in snow banks during bad weather. Their snowy white coat turns to brown in the spring .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- Mirorder: Duplicidentata () - (Illiger, 1811) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Grandorder: Anagalida () - (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
First described: Harlan Journ. Acad. Nat. Sci. Philadelphia 4: 284, 296, 299, 1825.
Last scrutiny: 15-Aug-2007
Lepus americanus is taxonomically distinct from all North American Lepus and not known to hybridize with any species. For the most part, L. americanus is geographically isolated from congeneric species.
There are currently 15 recognized subspecies : Lepus americanus americanus, L. a. bairdii, L. a. cascadensis, L. a. columbiensis, L. a. dalli, L. a. klamathensis, L. a. oregonus, L. a. pallidus, L. a. phaeonotus, L. a. pineus, L. a. seclusus, L. a. struthopus, L. a. tahoensis, L. a. virginianus, and L. a. washingtonii (Hall 1981)..
Members of the genus Lepus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. alleni (Antelope Jack Rabbit) · L. alleni alleni (Antelope Jack Rabbit) · L. americanus (Snowshoe Rabbit) · L. americanus americanus (Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus klamathensis (Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus seclusus (Bighorn Mountain Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus tahoensis (Sierra Nevada Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus washingtonii (Washington Snowshoe Hare) · L. arcticus (Arctic Hare) · L. arcticus arcticus (Arctic Hare) · L. brachyurus (Japanese Hare) · L. brachyurus brachyurus (Japanese Hare) · L. californica (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. californicus (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. californicus bennettii (Black-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. californicus californicus (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis (Beautiful-Eared Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis callotis (Beautiful-Eared Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis gaillardi (White-Sided Jackrabbit) · L. capensis (European Hare) · L. capensis capensis (Brown Hare) · L. castroviejoi (Broom Hare) · L. comus (Yunnan Hare) · L. coreanus (Korean Hare) · L. corsicanus (APPENINE HARE) · L. europaeus (European Brown Hare) · L. fagani (Ethiopian Hare) · L. flavigularis (Tehuantepec Jack Rabbit) · L. granatensis (Iberian Hare) · L. granatensis granatensis (Granada Hare) · L. habessinicus (Abyssinian Hare) · L. hainanus (Chinese Pinyin) · L. insularis (Espiritu Santo Jackrabbit) · L. mandshuricus (Manchurian Hare) · L. microtis (African Savanna Hare) · L. nigricollis (Black-Napped Hare) · L. nigricollis nigricollis (Indian Hare) · L. oiostolus (Woolly Hare) · L. oiostolus oiostolus (Woolly Hare) · L. oistolus (Woolly Hare) · L. othus (Beringian Hare) · L. othus othus (Alaskan Hare) · L. peguensis (Siamese Hare) · L. saxatilis (Savannah Hare) · L. saxatilis saxatilis (Scrub Hare) · L. sinensis (Chinese Hare) · L. sinensis sinensis (Chinese Hare) · L. starcki (Ethiopian Highland Hare) · L. tibetanus (Desert Hare) · L. timidus (Eurasian Arctic Hare) · L. timidus timidus (Arctic Hare) · L. tolai (Tolai Hare) · L. townsendi (White-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. townsendii (White-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. townsendii campanius (White-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. townsendii townsendii (Western White-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. victoriae (African Savanna Hare) · L. yarkandensis (Yarkland Hare)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological investigation of the Athabaska-Mackenzie region. By Edward A. Preble. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url , p. 373, p. 374, p. 375, p. 51, p. 563, p. 566, p. 8.
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url , .
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 310.
- A catalogue of the collection of mammals in the Field Columbian Museum. 1907 8 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1907. url p. 383, p. 384, p. 618.
- A check list of mammals of the North American continent, the West Indies and the neighboring seas. Chicago, 1905. url p. 360, p. 360, p. 361, p. 361, p. 362, p. 614.
- A faunal investigation of Long Point and vicinity, Norfolk County, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1931. url p. 129.
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 14, p. 24.
- A faunal investigation of the Lake Nipigon region, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1928. url p. 236.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 108.
- A history of British mammals / London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-. url , , , , , , , , .
- A history of British mammals, by Gerald E. H. Barrett-Hamilton. .. With twenty-seven full-page plates in colour, fifty-four in black and white, and upwards of two hundred and fifty smaller illustrations, drawn by Edward A. Wilson London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-1921. url p. 170, p. 229, p. 286, p. 296, p. 302, p. 305, p. 323, p. 324, p. 344.
- A journey from Prince of Wales's Fort in Hudson's Bay to the Northern Ocean, in the years 1769, 1770, 1771, and 1772 / Toronto: Champlain society, 1911. url p. 114, p. 227, p. 357.
- A journey from Prince of Wales's fort in Hudson Bay to the northern ocean, in the years 1769, 1770, 1771, and 1772. -- Toronto: Champlain Society, 1911. url p. 114, p. 227.
- A list of the generic and family names of rodents / by T.S. Palmer. Washington: Biological Society of Washington, 1897. url p. 254.
- A list of the land and sea mammals of North America north of Mexico. Supplement to the synopsis. By D.G. Elliot. 2 1901 Chicago, 1901. url p. 504.
- A manual of land and fresh water vertebrate animals of the United States (exclusive of birds) by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., inc.[c1935] url p. 386, p. 407, p. 412, p. 415.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States: including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virginia, and east of the Missouri river, inclusive of marine species / Chicago:A. C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 314.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 22.
- A revision of the adult tapeworms of hares and rabbits. Washington, 1897 url p. 221.
- A synopsis of the mammals of North America and the adjacent seas, by Daniel Giraud Elliot... 2 1901 Chicago, [Field Columbia Museum]1901. url p. 273, p. 275, p. 276, p. 450, list of illustrations, page xi, plate XXVI.
- A synthesis of evolutionary theory. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1962. url p. 361.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 135, p. 72.
- Allegany County. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1900. url p. 293.
- American animals: a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species / by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1917. url p. 302, p. 310, p. 86.
- American animals; a popular guide to the mammals of North America north of Mexico, with intimate biographies of the more familiar species, by Witmer Stone and William Everett Cram. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922 [c1902] url p. 302, p. 310, p. 78, p. 86.
- An ecological survey in northern Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Chas. C. Adams. A report from the University museum, University of Michigan, published by the state Board of geological survey as a part of the report for 1905. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford co., state printers, 1906. url p. 132, p. 132.
- An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers, 1909. url , , .
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 462.
- Animal coloration; an account of the principal facts and theories relating to the colours and markings of animals. London, Macmillan, 1892. url , .
- Animal communities in temperate America: as illustrated in the Chicago region; a study in animal ecology / by Victor E. Shelford. .. Chicago, Ill.: Published for the Geographic Society of Chicago by the University of Chicago Press, [c1937] url p. 191, p. 195, p. 360.
- Animal ecology, by Charles Elton; with an introduction by Julian S. Huxley. New York, Macmillan Co., 1927. url p. 123, p. 133, p. 135.
- Animate creation: popular edition of "Our living world": a natural history / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. New York: Selmar Hess, c1898. url p. 481.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our living world" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. .. New York, S. Hess[c1885] url p. 481.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum: including a list of the specimens received during the year: financial report, with a report of the mammals of New Jersey and a supplement to former reports, 1907. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1908. url p. 62.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 116, p. 117, p. 71.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Bensley's Practical anatomy of the rabbit: an elementary laboratory text-book in mammalian anatomy. Philadephia: Blakiston, 1948. url p. 6.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 377.
- Biology code of the Chemical-Biological Coordination Center... Washington, National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, 1960. url p. 54.
- Biology of New World Microtus / edited by Robert H. Tamarin. [Stillwater, Okla.]: American Society of Mammalogists1985. url p. 825.
- Biology of the vertebrates: a comparative study of man and his animal allies / by Herbert E. Walter and Leonard P. Sayles. New York: Macmillan Co., 1949. url p. 256.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 494, p. 540.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 54.
- Brehm's Life of animals: a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools. by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated with wood cuts and color-plates by Fr. Specht. .. [et al]; translated from the third German edition as edited by Prof. Dr. Pechuel-Loesche and William H 1 1895 Chicago: Marquis, 1895. url figures , p. 378.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 1 1955 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 52.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 116, p. 117, p. 333, p. 335, p. 378, p. 388, p. 71.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 370.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 24.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 165, p. 189, p. 193.
- Bulletin of the Wisconsin Natural History Society. Milwaukee, The Society, [1900-1920] url p. 26.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 237, p. 335, p. 6, p. 8, p. 91.
- Canada's missing dimension: science and history in the Canadian Arctic Islands / Ottawa: Canadian Museum of Nature, 1990. url p. 847.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 69.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 227, p. 69.
- Commissioners' report. Toronto, Printed by Warwick & sons, 1892. url p. 342, p. 342, p. 342, p. 342.
- Comparative physiology of temperature regulation. Editors: John P. Hannon [and] Eleanor Viereck. Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Arctic Aeromedical Laboratory, 1962. url p. 204.
- Descriptions of twenty-six new mammals from Alaska and British North America by C. Hart Merriam. Washington: Washington Academy of Sciences, 1900. url , .
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 108, p. 114, p. 770, p. 90.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 140, p. 415, p. 577.
- Economic mammalogy, by Junius Henderson. .. and Elberta L. Craig. .. Baltimore, Md., C.C. Thomas, 1932. url p. 385.
- Elements of ecology. New York, Wiley url p. 514.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 146.
- Evolution of mammalian molar teeth to and from the triangular type including collected and revised researches trituberculy and new sections on the forms and homologies of the molar teeth in the different orders of mammals, by Henry Fairfield Osborn. .. Ed. by W. K. Gregory. New York, Macmillan, 1907. url p. 150.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url , .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url , , .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 247, p. 248, p. 287.
- Extinct and vanishing mammals of the Old World. Illus. by Earl L. Poole. New York, American Committee for International Wild Life Protection, 1945. url p. 190, p. 832.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 108.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 44.
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 327.
- Field book of North American mammals; descriptions of every mammal known north of the Rio Grande, together with brief accounts of habits, geographical ranges, etc., by H. E. Anthony. .. with 32 coloured plates and 175 photographs, pen-and-ink sketches and maps. New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1928. url p. 478, p. 480, p. 481.
- Final report of the state geologist. Trenton, N.J.: The Survey, 1888- url p. 507.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 16, p. 3, p. 47, p. 73.
- Fishes of the western North Atlantic. Editorial board: editor-in-chief John Tee-Van [and others] New Haven, Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale Univ., 1948- url p. 488.
- Fleas of eastern United States, by Irving Fox. .. Ames, Ia., The Iowa State College Press, 1940. url p. 118, p. 126.
- Fluctuations in abundance of the Lake Erie cisco (Leucichthys artedi) population / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1951. url .
- Foot-notes to evolution: a series of popular addresses on the evolution of life / with supplementary essays by Edwin Grant Conklin, Frank Mace McFarland [and] James Perrin Smith. New YorkD. Appleton1907 url p. 24, p. 386.
- Footnotes to evolution: a series of popular addresses on the evolution of life / New York: D. Appleton, 1898 url .
- Fossil mammals of the coleman ILA local fauna, Sumter County, Florida. 1969. url .
- Fossil shrews from Honduras and their significance for late glacial evolution in body size (Mammalia: Soricidae: Cryptotis) / Neal Woodman --, Darin A. Croft --. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 2005. url p. 18.
- Four-footed Americans and their kin / New York: Macmillan, 1898. url .
- Fur-bearing animals in nature and in commerce. London, Gurney & Jackson, 1892. url , , p. 276, p. 388, p. 388, p. 388.
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 110, p. 72, p. 76, p. 81, p. 81, p. 83, p. 93, p. 95.
- General zoology / by H. L. Wieman. New York; McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1938. url p. 334.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1978 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 219, p. 266.
- Index generum mammalium: a list of the genera and families of mammals. By T. S. Palmer. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1904. url p. 655, p. 851.
- Indigenous and Traditional Peoples and Protected Areas: principles, guidelines and case studies IUCN url p. 62.
- Ingalik contact ecology: an ethnohistory of the lower-middle Yukon, James W. VanStone, Curator, North American Archaeology and Ethnology, Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1979. url p. 12.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 7 1987 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 165, p. 44.
- Journal of mammalogy. Baltimore, Md.: American Society of Mammalogists url p. 38, p. 62, p. 71.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 165.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 331.
- Key to the land mammals of northeastern North America, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , , .
- Labrador, the country and the people, New York, The Macmillan co., 1913. url .
- Labrador: the country and the people / by Wilfred T. Grenfell and others. New York: Macmillan Co., 1909. url p. 464.
- Lands, fisheries and game, minerals. Ottawa, Mortimer Co., 1911. url p. 224.
- Life-histories of northern animals: an account of the mammals of Manitoba / by Ernest Thompson Seton, naturalist to the Government of Manitoba; with 68 maps and 560 drawings by the author. New York City: Scribner, 1909. url , p. 1212, p. 621, p. 622, p. 637, p. 639, p. 653.
- List of North American land mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911; by Gerrit S. Miller, jr. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 348, p. 350.
- List of mammals obtained by Thaddeus Surber, collector for the Museum, in the provinces of New Brunswick and Quebec, Canada, by D. G. Elliot. 3 1901 Chicago, 1901. url p. 25.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 136, p. 136.
- Mammalia, by Frank Evers Beddard. .. London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1902. url p. 598.
- Mammals of America; technical editor, H. E. Anthony. .. artists, Carl Rungius, Belmore Browne, George A. King. .. New York, The University Society, inc.[c1917] url , p. 276.
- Mammals of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Jerusalem: Pub. for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, l962- url p. 175, p. 203.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 1476, p. 605.
- Manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern U.S.. .. inclusive of the marine species. Chicago, McClurg, 1894, c1876-88. url .
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1884. url p. 34.
- Medley of sport / J.M.M.B. Durham. London: Gibbings, 1910. url p. 108.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1969 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 133, p. 152, p. 6, p. 6, p. 74, p. 84.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 68.
- Monograph of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. Lawrence, Kan.: The Museum. url , p. 322, p. 327, p. 345, p. 355, p. 404, p. 407, p. 76, p. 87, p. 88.
- Mule deer in the Missouri River Breaks, Montana: a study of population dynamics in a fluctuating environment / Kenneth L. Hamlin, Richard J. Mackie. [Helena?]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url p. 288.
- Name that animal; a guide to the identification of the common land and fresh-water animals of the United States, with special reference to the area east of the Rockies. With drawings by Olive Driver. Northampton? Mass., 1950 url p. 504.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , .
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 729.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 729.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 108, p. 108, p. 117, p. 264, p. 264, p. 297, p. 297, p. 321, p. 380, p. 380, p. 472, p. 472.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , , , p. 100, p. 101, p. 102, p. 107, p. 11, p. 111, p. 113, p. 137, p. 19, p. 223, p. 280, p. 282, p. 283, p. 284, p. 30, p. 327, p. 36, p. 39, p. 401, p. 403, p. 408, p. 415, p. 45, p. 59, p. 655, p. 7, p. 8, p. 85, p. 851, p. 86, p. 87, p. 88, p. 89, p. 90, p. 91, p. 92, p. 93, p. 93, p. 94, p. 95, p. 95, p. 96, p. 97, p. 98.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 202, p. 204, p. 30, p. 50, p. 60.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url , p. 37.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 522.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. 1 1885 New York: S. Hess,  url illustration , p. 481.
- Pepacton / by John Burroughs. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1897, c1895 url p. 237.
- Pets and how to care for them, [New York]New York zoological park, 1921. url p. 300.
- Pets: their history and care. With illus. from life. New YorkHolt1917 url p. 367.
- Pets; their history and care, New York, H. Holt and company, 1917. url .
- Physiological mammalogy. Edited by William V. Mayer and Richard G. Van Gelder. New York, Academic Press, 1963- url p. 310, p. 371.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Preliminary list of the mammals of New York / Gerrit S. Miller, Jr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 333, p. 335, p. 336, p. 378, p. 388.
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 122, p. 180, p. 323, p. 367, p. 770, p. 771.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 304, p. 349, p. 85.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 221.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 29, p. 30.
- Protozoan parasites of domestic animals and of man. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 197, p. 395.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 360, p. 361.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 261, p. 262, p. 265, p. 33, p. 496, p. 8.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 190, p. 31, p. 32, p. 55, p. 57.
- Radiation biology, edited by Alexander Hollaender with the cooperation of Austin M. Brues [and others]. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1954-56. url p. 514.
- Readings in mammalogy / selected from the original literature and introduced with comments by J. Knox Jones, Jr., and Sydney Anderson. [Lawrence, Kans.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1970. url p. 312, p. 327, p. 525.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 96.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 77, p. 82.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska: between the years 1877 and 1881 / by Edward W. Nelson; edited by Henry W. Henshaw; prepared under the direction of the chief signal officer. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. url p. 232.
- Riverby / by John Burroughs Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1895 url p. 319.
- Rod and gun. Beaconsfield, Que. [etc.]Rod and Gun Pub. Co. [etc.] url p. 1385.
- Selected readings in mammalogy: selected from the original literature and introduced with comments / by J. Knox Jones, Jr., Sydney Anderson, and Robert S. Hoffmann. Lawrence, Kan.: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1976. url p. 318, p. 338, p. 433, p. 565, p. 575.
- Selected vertebrate endangered species of the seacoast of the United States / prepared by National Fish and Wildlife Laboratory, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. [Washington]: The Service: [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.], 1980. url p. 3.
- Seventy-five years of mammalogy, 1919-1994 / edited by Elmer C. Birney, Jerry R. Choate. [Provo, Utah]: American Society of Mammalogists, c1994. url p. 326.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1556.
- Signs and seasons, by John Burroughs. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin and company[c1914] url p. 267.
- Signs and seasons. BostonHoughton, Mifflin url p. 267.
- Soft-rayed Bony fishes: class Osteichthyes, order Acipenseroidei, order Lepisostei, order Isospondyli, suborder Elopoidea, suborder Clupeoidea, suborder Salmonoidea / Henry B. Bigelow. .. [et al.]. New Haven, Conn.: Sears Foundation for Marine Research, Yale University, 1963. url p. 488.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 12, p. 12, p. 13.
- Sport, travel and adventure in Newfoundland and the West Indies by W.R. Kennedy; with illustrations by the author. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood, 1885. url .
- Sportsman's guide to game animals; a field book of North American species. with photos, by the author. Introd. by Richard G. Van Gelder. New York, Outdoor Life Books url p. 357, p. 652.
- Strategies for reducing wildlife damage in orchards / [New Haven, Conn.]: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 14.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 18, p. 95.
- Systematic results of the study of North American land mammals to the close of the year 1900, by Gerrit S. Miller, Jr., and James A. G. Rehn. Boston, Society of Natural History, 1901. url p. 177, p. 177, p. 178, p. 180.
- The 25 largest un-fragmented wilderness Areas in the Arctic WWF url p. 78.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 339.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Arctic prairies, a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake. New York, C. Scribner's Sons[c1911] url .
- The Arctic prairies: a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake / by Ernest Thompson Seton. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1911. url p. 347.
- The Arctic prairies; a canoe-journey of 2, 000 miles in search of the caribou; being the account of a voyage to the region north of Aylmer Lake, New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1911. url p. 347.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 339, p. 60, p. 62.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 226.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 504, p. 598.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , sinclair , , , racey , maclulich , , lloyd , elton , chitty & chitty , howitt , howitt , chitty & elton , , clemens , title page, no. 1 , bird , , , , , , , , , , , p. 1, p. 1, p. 105, p. 106, p. 109, p. 11, p. 110, p. 112, p. 12, p. 120, p. 121, p. 122, p. 122, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 125, p. 128, p. 128, p. 129, p. 138, p. 139, p. 14, p. 140, p. 143, p. 144, p. 144, p. 145, p. 146, p. 148, p. 149, p. 15, p. 151, p. 156, p. 157, p. 158, p. 158, p. 159, p. 159, p. 16, p. 16, p. 160, p. 160, p. 163, p. 166, p. 17, p. 17, p. 172, p. 175, p. 177, p. 178, p. 178, p. 18, p. 181, p. 181, p. 182, p. 19, p. 19, p. 190, p. 191, p. 192, p. 197, p. 199, p. 2, p. 20, p. 200, p. 203, p. 205, p. 212, p. 218, p. 227, p. 227, p. 228, p. 229, p. 23, p. 231, p. 233, p. 233, p. 234, p. 234, p. 235, p. 242, p. 25, p. 255, p. 255, p. 255, p. 26, p. 262, p. 262, p. 262, p. 265, p. 268, p. 270, p. 275, p. 277, p. 278, p. 28, p. 289, p. 29, p. 291, p. 297, p. 30, p. 305, p. 306, p. 306, p. 309, p. 31, p. 311, p. 313, p. 313, p. 314, p. 318, p. 32, p. 32, p. 321, p. 321, p. 326, p. 328, p. 333, p. 335, p. 341, p. 353, p. 36, p. 360, p. 360, p. 364, p. 365, p. 367, p. 367, p. 368, p. 368, p. 376, p. 382, p. 383, p. 386, p. 390, p. 403, p. 404, p. 409, p. 409, p. 41, p. 42, p. 422, p. 425, p. 426, p. 43, p. 431, p. 433, p. 441, p. 443, p. 457, p. 458, p. 46, p. 465, p. 466, p. 467, p. 469, p. 470, p. 477, p. 479, p. 479, p. 480, p. 484, p. 484, p. 486, p. 486, p. 499, p. 5, p. 50, p. 501, p. 507, p. 51, p. 51, p. 51, p. 518, p. 521, p. 523, p. 525, p. 53, p. 530, p. 532, p. 534, p. 54, p. 546, p. 56, p. 560, p. 567, p. 568, p. 57, p. 570, p. 576, p. 576, p. 576, p. 58, p. 58, p. 582, p. 585, p. 590, p. 591, p. 605, p. 607, p. 608, p. 61, p. 610, p. 612, p. 615, p. 620, p. 63, p. 63, p. 63, p. 630, p. 632, p. 633, p. 633, p. 634, p. 635, p. 637, p. 639, p. 644, p. 644, p. 645, p. 649, p. 65, p. 65, p. 651, p. 652, p. 66, p. 668, p. 678, p. 68, p. 68, p. 68, p. 692, p. 694, p. 696, p. 699, p. 71, p. 71, p. 72, p. 722, p. 725, p. 727, p. 729, p. 73, p. 73, p. 73, p. 73, p. 730, p. 731, p. 732, p. 738, p. 74, p. 741, p. 742, p. 742, p. 744, p. 750, p. 764, p. 766, p. 772, p. 774, p. 775, p. 776, p. 779, p. 78, p. 78, p. 781, p. 783, p. 783, p. 81, p. 82, p. 82, p. 83, p. 86, p. 88, p. 89, p. 92, p. 93, p. 93, p. 98, p. 98, p. vii, p. vii.
- The Cherry collection of Deg Hit'an (Ingalik) material culture / James W. VanStone. Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1996. url .
- The Ecology of arboreal folivores: a symposium held at the Conservation and Research Center, National Zoological Park, Smithsonian Institution, May 29-31, 1975 / Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1978. url p. 302.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 31 1971 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 103, p. 199, p. 259, p. 275, p. 33, p. 34, fig. 4, page 353, p. 354, p. 355, henry, raphael & ruggiero, page 381, p. 383, maser & rohweder, page 425, p. 71, p. 94, p. 97, fig. 3, page 99.
- The Journal of experimental zoology. [New York, etc.]Wiley-Liss [etc.] url p. 95, p. 95.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society: a quarterly journal of Maine ornithology. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 58.
- The Labrador coast. New York, N. D. C. Hodges: [etc., etc.]1891. url p. 442.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 123, p. 210, p. 210, p. 56, p. 56.
- The Pleistocene of North America and its vertebrated animals form the states east of the Mississippi River and form the Canadian provinces east of longitude 95. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1923 url p. 350, p. 395, p. 488.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng. [etc.]: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux [etc.] url p. 224, p. 55, p. 80.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 813, p. 815.
- The animals of the world: Brehm's Life of animals; a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools / by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated. .. by Fr. Specht. .. [et al.] Mammalia. Brought down and especially adapted for the use of English readers. Tr. from the 3d German edition as ed. by Chicago: A.N. Marquis & Co., 1895. url p. 378, p. 379.
- The biology of the seasons, by J. Arthur Thomson. Fourth impression, illustrated by William Smith. London, A. Melrose, 1915. url p. 339.
- The complete angler and huntsman, by Thomas Hubert Hutton and Stanley Blake. Berry, Ky., 1919. url p. 159, p. 159.
- The conservation of the wild life of Canada / by C. Gordon Hewitt. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 216.
- The great North-West and the Great Lake region of North America. London: Longmans, Green, 1904. url p. 353.
- The great North-west and the great lake region of North America, by Paul Fountain... London, New York [etc.]: Longmans, Green, and co., 1904. url p. 353.
- The hawks and owls of the United States in their relation to agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1893. url .
- The life of animals; the mammals, London, The Macmillan Company, 1906. url .
- The mammals and life zones of Oregon. By Vernon Bailey. Washington[U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1936. url p. 403, p. 408, p. 415, p. 93, p. 94, p. 95, p. 96.
- The mammals of Illinois and Wisconsin, by Charles B. Cory. .. 11 1912 Chicago, 1912. url p. 261, p. 261, p. 262, p. 262, p. 265, p. 265, p. 33, p. 496, p. 496, p. 8, p. 8.
- The mammals of Minnesota. A scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates. By C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 236, p. 240, p. 241, p. 295.
- The mammals of Minnesota: a scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates / by C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 236, p. 240, p. 241, p. 295.
- The mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. A biographic, historic and descriptive account of the furred animals of land and sea, both living and extinct, known to have existed in these states. .. Philadelphia, Privately published, 1903. url .
- The mammals of Pennsylvania: with a discussion of the biology of mammals in general, including keys to the orders and families, and with detailed accounts of all species indigenous to Pennsylvania / by Samuel Howard Williams. Pittsburgh: [s.n.], 1928. url p. 150.
- The mammals of the Adirondack region, northeastern New York. With an introductory chapter treating of the location and boundaries of the region, its geological history, topography, climate, general features, botany and faunal position. New YorkHolt1886 url p. 305, p. 309.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 44.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 321, p. 321, p. 321.
- The ruffed grouse, its life story, ecology and management, by Frank C. Edminster. New York, The Macmillan company, 1947. url p. 320.
- The ruffed grouse; life history, propagation, management, by Gardiner Bump [and others] With 4 paintings in full color by Fred. Everett and 127 sketches by Clayton B. Seagears and Fred. Everett. [Albany?]1947. url p. 891.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide. The game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a glossary, and a New York, Orange Judd Companyu, 1883. url , , .
- The study of animal life / by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Scribner, 1917. url p. 53.
- The study of animal life, New York, C. Scribner's sons [printed at the Edinburgh press]1896. url .
- The wilderness of the upper Yukon: a hunter's explorations for wild sheep in sub-arctic mountains. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1911. url p. 334.
- The world of life: a manifestation of creative power, directive mind and ultimate purpose / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London: Chapman and Hall, 1914. url p. 159.
- The world of life; a manifestation of creative power, directive mind and ultimate purpose. LondonChapman and Hall1911 url p. 159.
- Through the Mackenzie Basin: a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River Treaty Expedition of 1899 / by Charles Mair; with a map of the country ceded and numerous photographs of native life and scenery. Also, notes on the mammals and birds of northern Canada, by Roderick MacFarlane. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1908. url p. 250.
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea / by George H. F. Nuttall. .. [et al.]. Cambridge, [England]: University press, 1908-1926. url p. 511.
- Timber management: a programmatic environmental analysis record for BLM-administered lands in western Oregon / Office, 1974 url p. 68.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 279, p. 93.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 9 1961 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 98.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 2 1948 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 106, p. 125, p. 170, p. 171, fig. 44, page 173, p. 174, p. 176, p. 177, figs. 61-64, page 194, p. 212, p. 216, p. 382, p. 384, p. 40, p. 413, p. 432, p. 433, p. 440, p. 449, p. 451, p. 462, p. 482, p. 504, p. 532, p. 546, fig. 17, page 547, p. 66, fig. 81, page 725, p. 727, p. 737, p. 74, p. 76, fig. 20, page 77, p. 93.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 84.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 10.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 4 1894 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 327, p. 329.
- Zoogeography. A symposium presented on August 26-27, 1957 [under the prime auspices of the Pacific Section of the Society of Systematic Zoology] at the Stanford University joint meeting of the American Institute of Washington, 1958. url p. 440.
- Zoology: an elementary text-book. Cambridge: Univ. Press, 1920. url .
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url .
- [Collected reprints, 1912-1919. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , , , , , .
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 02, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 10 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Lagomorph Specialist Group 1996. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 20, 2008.
- Lagomorph Specialist Group 1996. Lepus americanus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- Murray, D. & Smith, A.T. 2008. Lepus americanus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 02, 2008:
- Burke Museum: Mammal Specimens
- Louisiana State University Museum of Natural Science: Mammal specimens
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- Michigan State University Museum: Vertebrate specimens
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Royal Ontario Museum: Mammal specimens
- Sternberg Museum of Natural History: Mammal Collection
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNMA/Coleccion Nacional de Mamiferos
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: University of Alaska Museum Mammal Collection
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: University of New Mexico Museum of Southwestern Biology Mammal Collection
- Utah Museum of Natural History: Mammal specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 107242
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-727814
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 180112
- IUCN ID: 219146
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AMAEB03010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 16048
- Mean = 922.410 meters (3,026.280 feet), Standard Deviation = 673.990 based on 99 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Murray, D. & Smith, A.T. 2008. Lepus americanus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]