Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Arctic hare, Eurasian arctic, Eurasian Arctic Hare, mountain hare, white hare
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 805 meters (0 to 2,641 feet).
L. timidus inhabits tundra
and taiga, particularly pine,
birch, and juniper (Flux and Angermann 1990). Moors
and bogland are
the preferred habitats
for this species in Ireland and Scotland (Flux
and Angermann 1990). However, L. timidus hibernicus will
also utilize cultivated land
, rich agricultural area, in Ireland
(Thulin 2003). L. timidus occupies lowland woodlands of
in southern Russia along with reed belts
(Flux and Angermann 1990). In Mongolia, it occurs in forests
on the Altai, Hingan, Hentei, Hovsgol, and Hangai mountain ranges
The diet of L. timdus varies in relation to the type of habitat it occupies (Flux and Angermann 1990). Calluna (heather) constitutes the bulk of the diet in Scotland, while birch, juniper, poplar, willow, and Vaccinium are selected in Europe (Flux and Angermann 1990). If present, L. timidus will consume palatable grasses and clovers (Flux and Angermann 1990).
L. timidus is a nocturnal species that will increase daytime activity during summer months (Flux and Angermann 1990). Home range for this species ranges according to locality (Flux and Angermann 1990). In Scotland, home ranges as small as 10 ha have been observed, while in Finland it was reported that home ranges could be as large as 305 ha (Flux and Angermann 1990).
In areas where L. timidus and L. europaeus coexist, L. timidus will retreat to areas of higher elevation (Thulin 2003). The reason for this is believed to be competitive exclusion , L. timidus yields habitat to L. europaeus (Thulin 2003).
Litter size of L. timidus is variable (two to six) according to the number of litters and the latitude (Angerbjorn pers. comm. ). Gestation time is between 47-55 days (Angerbjorn pers. comm. ). The breeding season is February to August (Macdonald and Barrett 1993). L. timidus reaches maturity at one year of age. Longevity for L. timidus is nine years (Macdonald and Barrett 1993). Natural mortality for juveniles is 80%, while adult mortality is 58% (Macdonald and Barrett 1993). Total length of this species is 45.7-61.0 cm (Macdonald and Barrett 1993).
L. t. hibernicus is the only endemic hare of Ireland (Reid and Montgomery 2007). Contrary to other mountain hare populations, this subspecies "occurs at all altitudes and can be found in most habitats throughout Ireland" (Reid and Montgomery 2007). L. t. hibernicus typically forages on grasses (Reid and Montgomery 2007)..
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.2 Forest - Subarctic
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.1 Shrubland - Subarctic
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 4 Grassland
- 4.1 Grassland - Tundra
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- McKenna, 1975
- (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- Mirorder: Duplicidentata () - (Illiger, 1811) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Grandorder: Anagalida () - (Szalay & McKenna, 1971) McKenna, 1975
- Superorder: Preptotheria () - (McKenna, 1975) McKenna, in Stucky & McKenna, in Benton, ed., 1993
- Magnorder: Epitheria () - (Mckenna, 1975) M.c. Mckenna & S.k. Bell, 1997
- Cohort: Placentalia () - (Owen, 1837) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Supercohort: Theria () - (Parker & Haswell, 1897) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Infralegion: Tribosphenida () - (McKenna, 1975) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Sublegion: Zatheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Legion: Cladotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Superlegion: Trechnotheria () - McKenna, 1975
- Infraclass: Holotheria () - (Wible et al., 1995) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Subclass: Theriiformes () - (Rowe, 1988) M.C. McKenna & S.K. Bell, 1997
- Class: Mammalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Aug-2007
There are currently 15 recognized subspecies : Lepus timidus ainu, L. t. begitschevi, L. t. gichiganus, L. t. hibernicus, L. t. kamtschaticus, L. t. kolymensis, L. t. kozhevnikovi, L. t. lugubris, L. t. mordeni, L. t. orii, L. t. scoticus, L. t. sibiricorum, L. t. timidus, L. t. transbaicalicus, and L. t. varronis (Hoffmann and Smith 2005)..
Members of the genus Lepus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 58 species and subspecies in this genus:
L. alleni (Antelope Jack Rabbit) · L. alleni alleni (Antelope Jack Rabbit) · L. americanus (Snowshoe Rabbit) · L. americanus americanus (Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus klamathensis (Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus seclusus (Bighorn Mountain Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus tahoensis (Sierra Nevada Snowshoe Hare) · L. americanus washingtonii (Washington Snowshoe Hare) · L. arcticus (Arctic Hare) · L. arcticus arcticus (Arctic Hare) · L. brachyurus (Japanese Hare) · L. brachyurus brachyurus (Japanese Hare) · L. californica (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. californicus (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. californicus bennettii (Black-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. californicus californicus (Black-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis (Beautiful-Eared Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis callotis (Beautiful-Eared Jack Rabbit) · L. callotis gaillardi (White-Sided Jackrabbit) · L. capensis (European Hare) · L. capensis capensis (Brown Hare) · L. castroviejoi (Broom Hare) · L. comus (Yunnan Hare) · L. coreanus (Korean Hare) · L. corsicanus (APPENINE HARE) · L. europaeus (European Brown Hare) · L. fagani (Ethiopian Hare) · L. flavigularis (Tehuantepec Jack Rabbit) · L. granatensis (Iberian Hare) · L. granatensis granatensis (Granada Hare) · L. habessinicus (Abyssinian Hare) · L. hainanus (Chinese Pinyin) · L. insularis (Espiritu Santo Jackrabbit) · L. mandshuricus (Manchurian Hare) · L. microtis (African Savanna Hare) · L. nigricollis (Black-Napped Hare) · L. nigricollis nigricollis (Indian Hare) · L. oiostolus (Woolly Hare) · L. oiostolus oiostolus (Woolly Hare) · L. oistolus (Woolly Hare) · L. othus (Beringian Hare) · L. othus othus (Alaskan Hare) · L. peguensis (Siamese Hare) · L. saxatilis (Savannah Hare) · L. saxatilis saxatilis (Scrub Hare) · L. sinensis (Chinese Hare) · L. sinensis sinensis (Chinese Hare) · L. starcki (Ethiopian Highland Hare) · L. tibetanus (Desert Hare) · L. timidus (Eurasian Arctic Hare) · L. timidus timidus (Arctic Hare) · L. tolai (Tolai Hare) · L. townsendi (White-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. townsendii (White-Tailed Jack Rabbit) · L. townsendii campanius (White-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. townsendii townsendii (Western White-Tailed Jackrabbit) · L. victoriae (African Savanna Hare) · L. yarkandensis (Yarkland Hare)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of British fossil vertebrata / by Arthur Smith Woodward and Charles Davies Sherborn. London: Dulau & co., 1890. url p. 358.
- A catalogue of the collection of mammals in the Field Columbian Museum. 1907 8 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1907. url p. 619.
- A check list of mammals of the North American continent, the West Indies and the neighboring seas. 6 1905 Chicago, 1905. url p. 340, p. 617, p. 617.
- A course on zoology: designed for secondary education. By C. de Montmahon [!]. .. and H. Beauregard. .. Tr. and adapted for American schools by Wm. H. Greene, M.D. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1893 [c1892] url p. 230, p. 230.
- A geographical history of mammals. By R. Lydekker. .. Cambridge, The University press, 1896. url .
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 151.
- A guide to the quadrupeds and reptiles of Europe: with descriptions of all the species / compiled from the latest writers by Lord Clermont. London: J. Van Voorst, 1859. url p. 124, p. 127.
- A hand-book to the British mammalia. London, Edward Lloyd, 1896. url , , , , , , p. 221, p. 222, p. 222, p. 225, p. 225, p. 225, p. 226, p. 5.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 16.
- A history of British fossil mammals, and birds. London, Van Voorst, 1846. url p. 210, p. 211.
- A history of British mammals / London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- A history of British mammals, by Gerald E. H. Barrett-Hamilton. .. With twenty-seven full-page plates in colour, fifty-four in black and white, and upwards of two hundred and fifty smaller illustrations, drawn by Edward A. Wilson London: Gurney and Jackson, 1910-1921. url p. 161, p. 229, p. 232, p. 250, p. 251, p. 259, p. 295, p. 296, p. 302, p. 307, p. 312, p. 316, p. 325, p. 327.
- A history of British quadrupeds, including the Cetacea. London, J. Van Voorst, 1874. url .
- A history of British quadrupeds: including the cetacea / by Thomas Bell. London: Van Voorst, 1874. url p. 331.
- A list of the generic and family names of rodents / by T.S. Palmer. Washington: Biological Society of Washington, 1897. url p. 254.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 34.
- A manual of elementary zoology / London: H. Frowde, Hodder & Stoughton, 1920. url .
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introd. on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. London: William Blackwood 8 Sons, 1887. url p. 543.
- A manual of zoology. .. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1870. url p. 754.
- A natural history of British and foreign quadrupeds; containing many modern discoveries, original observations, and numerous ancedotes. By James H. Fennell. With two hundred wood cuts. .. London, J. Thomas, 1841. url p. 366.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 22, p. 55.
- A revision of the adult tapeworms of hares and rabbits. Washington, 1897 url p. 155, p. 156, p. 158, p. 160, p. 189, p. 217, p. 221, p. 227, p. 230.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 636.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 636.
- A synopsis of the mammals of North America and the adjacent seas, by Daniel Giraud Elliot... 2 1901 Chicago, [Field Columbia Museum]1901. url p. 271, p. 450.
- A synoptic text-book of zoölogy, for colleges and schools / by Arthur Wisswald Weysse. New York: Macmillan, 1904, c1903. url , p. 392.
- A synthesis of evolutionary theory. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1962. url p. 250.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire, with extracts from the fieldbooks of a sportsman and naturalist. By Charles St. John... With woodcuts. London: J. Murray, 1849. url p. 328.
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 328.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 350.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 350.
- A zoological pocket-book: or, Synopsis of animal classification. Comprising definitions of the Phyla, classes, and orders, with explanatory remarks and tables. Tr. from the 3d German ed. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. London, C. Griffin, 1890. url p. 207.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 158, p. 50.
- Agricultural zoology, London, Chapman & Hall, Ld., 1894. url , .
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property, and of the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of by J.C. Loudon. London: Longmans, Green, 1871. url .
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 997.
- An introduction to the mammals of Australia / by John Gould. .. London: Printed for the author by Taylor and Francis, 1863. url p. 19.
- An introduction to the osteology of the mammalia: being the substance of the course of lectures delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1870. LondonMacmillan1876 url p. 14.
- An introduction to the study of mammals living and extinct, London, A. and C. Black, 1891. url .
- An introduction to zoology / by C. H. O'Donoghue. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1921. url p. 269.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 10, p. 204, p. 204.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 262, p. 267, p. 269, p. 334, p. 336, p. 79, p. 88.
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 456.
- Animal life as affected by the natural conditions of existence. New York, D. Appleton, 1881. url , p. 464.
- Animal life of the British Isles. A pocket guide to the mammals, reptiles and batrachians of wayside and woodland. London, Frederick Warne, 1921. url , p. 121.
- Animate creation: popular edition of "Our living world": a natural history / by the Rev. J.G. Wood. New York: Selmar Hess, c1898. url p. 481.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our living world" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. .. New York, S. Hess[c1885] url p. 480, p. 481.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 185, p. 185, p. 185, p. 386, p. 386, p. 386, p. 71, p. 71.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 314.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 130, p. 299, p. 335, p. 43, p. 491.
- Anzeiger der Kaiserlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Classe. Wien: Der Akademie, 1864-1914. url .
- Appendix to the Narrative of a second voyage in search of a north-west passage and a residence in the Arctic regions during the years 1829, 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833 / London: A.W. Webster, 1835. url .
- Aristotle's History of animals. In ten books. London, Bell, 1887. url p. 316.
- Aus dem reiche der pelze. bd. I: Geschichte des rauchwarenhandels. bd. II: Naturgeschichte der pelztiere. Von Emil Brass. Berlin, Im verlage der Neuen pelzwaren-zeitung[pref. 1911] url , .
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. London, Ray society, 1848-54. url .
- Bibliography and catalogue of the fossil vertebrata of North America, by Oliver Perry Hay. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url p. 736.
- Biodiversity indicators for integrated environmental assessments at the regional and global level: feasibility study on data availability of six biodiversity indicators National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection (RIVM) url p. 13.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 134.
- Boston journal of natural history. 1 1834-1837 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 23.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 15 1971 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 179.
- British mammals, written and illustrated London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1920-21. url .
- British mammals; an attempt to describe and illustrate the mammalian fauna of the British islands from the commencement of the Pleistocene period down to the present day, London, Hutchinson, 1903. url , , , .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 143, p. 338, p. 345, p. 401, p. 449, p. 58.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 300.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 193.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 1 1869 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 238, p. 272.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 957.
- Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta / by John Anderson, Superintendent of the Indian Museum. Calcutta, 1881-1891. url p. 118.
- Catalogue of mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta, Calcutta, 1881-1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 306, p. 395, p. 592, p. 831, p. 992.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 306, p. 592, p. 831, p. 992.
- Catalogue of the bones of Mammalia in the collection of the British museum. London, Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1862. url .
- Catalogue of the bones of mammalia in the collection of the British Museum / [compiled by Edward Gerrard]. London: printed by Taylor and Francis, by order of the Trustees, 1862 url p. 199.
- Catalogue of the fossil Mammalia in the British museum (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1885-1887. url .
- Catalogue of the mammals of Western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum London: printed by order of the Trustees, 1912. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Catalogue of the mammals of western Europe (Europe exclusive of Russia) in the collection of the British Museum / by Gerrit S. Miller. London: BMNH, 1912. url p. 1001, p. 1002, p. 1004, p. 1007, p. 1008, p. 1010, p. 1013, p. 1016, p. 1018, p. 495, p. 496, p. 501, p. 502, p. 508, p. 513, p. 522, p. 527, p. 531.
- Catalogue of the species of Entozoa, or intestinal worms, contained in the collection of the British Museum [by William Baird] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1853 url p. 101, p. 120, p. 4.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 556.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 187.
- Checklist of Palaearctic and Indian mammals 1758 to 1946 / by J.R. Ellerman and T.C.S. Morrison-Scott. London: BM(NH), 1966. url p. 420, p. 422, p. 429, p. 435, p. 438, p. 439, p. 440.
- Class book of zoology: designed to afford to pupils in common schools and academies a knowledge of the animal kingdom: with a list of the different species found in the state of New York: the whole scientifically and syst New York: D. Appleton & Company; 1849. url p. 44.
- Classification of the collection to illustrate the animal resources of the United States. A list of substances derived from the animal kingdom, with synopsis of the useful and injurious animals and a classification to the methods of capture and utilization. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1876. url .
- Collected papers on circulation and respiration. London, MacMillan, 1907. url p. 629.
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url p. 157, p. 432.
- Comparative physiology of temperature regulation. Editors: John P. Hannon [and] Eleanor Viereck. Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Arctic Aeromedical Laboratory, 1962. url p. 204.
- Conservation of Species of Wild Flora and Vertebrate Fauna Threatened in the Community. Part vii: terrestrial mammals (excluding bats): species reports IUCN Species Conservation Monitoring Unit url p. 188, p. 208, p. 212, p. 214, p. 40, p. 48.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 18.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan, 1891. url p. 36.
- Darwinism; an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications, by Alfred Russel Wallace. London and New York, Macmillan and co., 1889. url p. 36.
- Descriptive catalogue of the osteological series contained in the museum. .. by Richard Owen. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 351, p. 352.
- Descriptive catalogue of the specimens of natural history in spirit contained in the Museum of the Royal college of surgeons of England. Vertebrata: Pisces, Reptilia, Aves, Mammalia. London, Taylor and Francis, 1859. url p. 117.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 783.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 770.
- Distribution and origin of life in America, by Robert Francis Scharff New York, Macmillan, 1912 url p. 9.
- Early man in Britain and his place in the tertiary period by W. Boyd Dawkins; illustrated by woodcuts. London: Macmillan, 1880. url p. 526, p. 98.
- Ecological animal geography; an authorized, rewritten edition based on Tiergeographie auf ockologischer grundlage / by Richard Hesse. .. prepared by W. C. Allee. .. and Karl P. Schmidt. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1937. url p. 102, p. 387, p. 507, p. 513, p. 577, p. 93.
- Edinburgh journal of natural history and of the physical sciences. Edinburgh [etc.]: Published for the proprietor [etc.], 1835-1840. url p. 138, p. 35.
- Elementary text-book of zoology, Edinburgh, E. & S. Livingstone url .
- Elementary text-book of zoology, by Arthur T. Masterman, M.A., . ... Edinburgh, E. & S. Livingstone url p. 382.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 321.
- Elements of plant biology. By A. G. Tansley. .. London: Dodd, Mead & company,  url p. 28.
- Elements of plant biology. London, Dodd, Mead & Co. url , p. 28.
- Elements of the general and minute anatomy of man and the mammalia: chiefly after original researches / London: Bailliere, 1842. url p. 237.
- Elements of zoology. By Charles Frederick Holder. .. and James Bassett Holder. New York: American book company, [c1885] url p. 317.
- Elements of zoology. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1886. url .
- Essentials of zoology for students of medicine and first year students of science, by Alexander Meek. .. With 145 illustrations. London, Longmans, Green and co., 1922. url p. 256.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 66.
- Explorations in the far North being a report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94 / by Frank Russell. [Iowa City?]: State University of Iowa, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url .
- Explorations in the far North, by Frank Russell. Being the report of an expedition under the auspices of the University of Iowa during the years 1892, '93, and '94. [Iowa City?]The University, 1898. url p. 247.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 157.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 10d, p. 10e, p. 19.
- Finland: its forests and forest management. Compiled by John Croumbie Brown. .. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd;1883. url p. 280.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 284, p. 87.
- Forms of animal life: a manual of comparative anatomy: with descriptions of selected types / by George Rolleston. Oxford, Eng.: Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 360, p. 360.
- Forms of animal life; a manual of comparative anatomy, with descriptions of selected types; revised and enlarged by W. Hatchett Jackson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1888. url p. 360.
- Forms of animal life; being outlines of zoological classification based upon anatomical investigation and illustrated by descriptions of specimens and of figures, by George Rolleston. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1870. url p. xliv.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 15.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 201.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 143, p. 178, p. 275, p. 405, p. 513, p. 547, p. 56, p. 613, p. 62.
- Gleanings from the natural history of the ancients / by the Rev. W. Houghton. London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin, [1879?] url p. 136.
- Gleanings in bee culture. Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. url p. 686.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 667.
- Handbook of zoology; by J. van der Hoeven. Tr. from the 2d Dutch ed. by the Rev. William Clark. Cambridge: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, 1856-58. url p. 667.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 142, p. 94.
- Hare-hunting and harriers: with notices of beagles and basset hounds / by H.A. Bryden; Illustrated from photographs by R.B. Lodge and others. London: G. Richards, 1903. url p. 37.
- History of animals in ten books. Translated by Richard Cresswell. London, G. Bell, 1902. url p. 309, p. 316.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 133, p. 36.
- History of the Mammalia. London: C. Cox, 1849. url p. 156.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 56.
- Hunting recollections / by Miss Tawke. Rochford: Francis and Sons, 1911. url p. 90.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 8.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 47, p. 65, p. 73.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 339.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 16, p. 59.
- Introduction to zoology... / by Robert Patterson London: Simms and MIntyre, 1854 url p. 388.
- Introduction to zoology: for the use of schools / by Robert Patterson...; with upwards of 330 illustrations and a glossary of scientific terms. London: Simms and M'Intyre, 1848. url p. 404.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 108, p. 13, p. 150, p. 17, p. 36, p. 45.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 13, p. 150, p. 17, p. 36, p. 45.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 110, p. 134, p. 440, p. 495, p. 510, p. 511, p. 630, p. 632, p. 646.
- Journal of anatomy and physiology. Cambridge [Eng., etc.]University Press url p. 169, p. 45.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 401.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 659.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 5.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 331.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London: [Printed by R. and A. Taylor], 1882. url p. 7.
- Lessons in elementary anatomy. London, MacMillan, 1889. url .
- Life of a Scotch naturalist: Thomas Edward, associate of the Linnaean Society. New York, Harper & brothersc1876. url .
- List of North American land mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911; by Gerrit S. Miller, jr. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 345, p. 401.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British Museum / [edited by J.E. Gray] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1852- url p. 43.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 26.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. London, The Society url p. 98.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 36.
- Lord Lilford Thomas Littleton, fourth baron F. Z. S. president of the British ornithologists' union. A memoir by his sister. With an introduction by the bishop of London. Illustrations by Thorburn and others and a portrait in photogravure. .. London: Smith, Elder, & co., 1900. url p. 206.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url , p. 91.
- MAB Information System: Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: Supplement January 1988 UNESCO, IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url .
- Mammalia, by W. T. Blanford, F. R. S. London: Taylor and Francis, 1888-91. url p. 450, p. 450.
- Mammals of Eastern Asia / by G.H.H. Tate. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1947. url p. 202, p. 204.
- Mammals of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Jerusalem: Pub. for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, l962- url , , , p. 100, p. 101, p. 102, p. 110, p. 121, p. 123, p. 128, p. 131, p. 133, p. 135, p. 176, p. 183, p. 206, p. 207, p. 209, p. 211, p. 212, p. 213, p. 215, p. 217, p. 219, p. 221, p. 222, p. 224, p. 225, p. 93, p. 96.
- Mammals of the Pacific world / [by] T.D. Carter, J.E. Hill [and] G.H.H. Tate. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1945. url p. 124, p. 219.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 307, p. 410, p. 414, p. 420, p. 620, p. 804.
- Material for a bibliography of North American mammals, prepared by Theodore Gill and Elliott Coues. Extracted from the eleventh volume of the final reports of the Survey, being Appendix B of the monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1066.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 328, p. 375.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 223, p. 64.
- Mind in the lower animals in health and disease, by W. Lauder Lindsay. London: C. K. Paul, 1879. url p. 423.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 185, p. 98.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url , , p. 22.
- Monographs of North American Rodentia. By Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 1066, p. 274, p. 277, p. 278, p. 288, p. 289, p. 291, p. 293, p. 295, p. 309.
- Monographs of North American rodentia by Elliott Coues and Joel Asaph Allen. Washington: G.P.O., 1877. url , , , , , , .
- Mostly mammals, zoological essays, London, Hutchinson & Co., 1903. url .
- Mostly mammals, zoological essays. New York, Dodd Mead, 1903. url p. 380, p. 380, p. 62, p. 62.
- Mostly mammals: zoological essays / by R. Lydekker; with 16 full-page illustrations by the Duchess of Bedford. .. [et al.]. New York: Dodd Mead, 1903. url p. 380, p. 62.
- Natural history of New York. .. Albany, D. Appleton & co. and Wiley & Putnam;1842-94. url p. 97, p. 97.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 97, p. 97.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 749.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 97.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 103, p. 109, p. 466.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 189, p. 222, p. 242, p. 311, p. 534, p. 535.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 13, p. 373, p. 38, p. 850.
- Notes on the natural history of common British animals and some of their foreign relations. by Kate M. Hall. London: Adlard and Son, Bartholomew Press, 1913. url p. 159.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science; also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 77.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1979 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 35.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 115.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 364, p. 367.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. LondonLongmans, Green1866-68 url p. 649, p. 845, p. 889.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 6.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 172, p. 176, p. 185, p. 194, p. 259, p. 337, p. 430.
- Oppian, Colluthus, Tryphiodorus, with an English translation by A.W. Mair LondonW. Heinemann1928 url p. 517.
- Our country's animals and how to know them. A guide to the mammals, reptiles and amphibians of Great Britain. With plates and diagrams by R.E. Holding. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent url p. 104, p. 6, p. 92.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 502, p. 526.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. 1 1885 New York: S. Hess,  url illustration , p. 481, p. viii.
- Outlines of comparative physiology touching the structure and development of the races of animals, living and extinct: for the use of schools and colleges / by Louis Agassiz and A.A. Gould; edited from the revised edition and greatly enlarged by Thomas Wright, M.D.; with 390 illustrations. London: Bell & Daldy, 1870. url p. 47.
- Outlines of comparative physiology: touching the structure and development of the races of animals, living and extinct, for the use of schools and colleges / by Louis Agassiz and A. A. Gould; ed. from the rev. ed. & greatly enl., by Thomas Wright. London: Bell & Daldy, 1867. url p. 47.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , .
- Outlines of zoology / by J. Arthur Thomson. London; Humphrey Milford, Oxford University Press, 1944. url p. 783.
- Outlines of zoology, Edinburgh, H. Frowde and Hodder & Stoughton, 1899. url .
- Outlines of zoology, New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1895. url .
- Outlines of zoology, by J. Arthur Thomson. Edinburgh [etc.]H. Frowde and Hodder & Stoughton, 1921. url p. 698.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url .
- Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books. A translation on the basis of that by Dr. Philemon Holland, edited 1601. .. Edited by the Wernerian club. [London]Printed for the Club by G. Barclay, 1847-49. url p. 98.
- Popular natural history. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. With five hundred illustrations. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 183.
- Popular natural history: a description of animal life, from the lowest forms up to man / by J. Sterling Kingsley. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1890. url p. 589.
- Practical game preserving: containing the fullest directions for rearing and preserving both winged and ground game, and destroying vermin; with ther information of value to the game preserver / William Carnegie ("Moorman"). London: L. U. Gill, 1884. url p. 153, p. 154.
- Prehistoric Europe: a geological sketch / London: Edward Stanford, 1881. url p. 510.
- Principles of animal ecology, by W. C. Allee [and others] Philadelphia, Saunders Co., 1949. url p. 180.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 188.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 327, p. 327, p. 352, p. 352, p. 353, p. 357, p. 363, p. 367, p. 37, p. 376, p. 376.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url , , p. 171, p. 198, p. 198, p. 25, p. 254, p. 254.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 151, p. 188.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 82, p. 82.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 126.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 128, p. 191.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 12, p. 56, p. 99.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 142, p. 307, p. 401.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 23, p. 75.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 12, p. 155, p. 165, p. 187, p. 217, p. 221, p. 222, p. 232, p. 25, p. 458, p. 55, p. 601, p. 81.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 112.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 12, p. 358, p. 617, p. 795, p. 795.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url p. 261, p. 496.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 25.
- Records of the Australian Museum. Sydney: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1890- url p. 343.
- Reliquiae aquitanicae: being contributions to the archaeology and palaeontology of Pèrigord and the adjoining provinces of Southern France / ed. by Thomas Rupert Jones, 1865-75. London: Williams, 1875. url p. 172, p. 182.
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url p. 270, p. 274, p. 277, p. 278, p. 288, p. 291, p. 293, p. 294, p. 295, p. 296, p. 299.
- Report of the cruise of the revenue marine steamer Corwin in the Arctic Ocean in the year 1885. By Capt. M.A. Healy. .. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1887. url p. 89.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 106.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska between the years 1877 and 1881 Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1887. url , .
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 265, p. 265, p. 573, p. 573, p. 574, p. 574, p. 575, p. 577, p. 580, p. 595, p. 595, p. 599.
- Reports on zoology for 1843, 1844 / Tr. from the German by George Busk, Alfred Tulk, esq., and Alexander H. Haliday, esq. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1847. url p. 240, p. 7.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 77.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 109, p. 236.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 552.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 171.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 20, p. 507, p. 565, p. 573, p. 843, p. 844, p. 845.
- Scientific papers and addresses / arr. and edited by William Turner, with a biographical sketch by Edward B. Tylor. Oxford: Clarendon Press1884 url p. 71.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1556.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 199.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 48 1907 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 476, p. 58.
- Student's manual of comparative anatomy and guide to dissection. London, Longman, 1872. url p. 35.
- Studies in the theory of descent. By Dr. August Weismann. With notes and additions by the author. Translated and edited, with notes, by Raphael Meldola. With a prefatory notice by Charles Darwin. .. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1882. url p. 662, p. 724.
- Studies on the cestode family, Anoplocephalidae, with six plates, by Herman Douthitt. Urbana, University of Illinois, 1915 url p. 47, p. 65, p. 73.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 103, p. 104.
- System of ophthalmology. St. Louis, Mosby, 1958- url p. 471.
- Systematic results of the study of North American land mammals to the close of the year 1900, by Gerrit S. Miller, Jr., and James A. G. Rehn. Boston, Society of Natural History, 1901. url p. 177, p. 177, p. 180.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 86.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 602.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 150, p. 150, p. 153, p. 153, p. 169, p. 205, p. 205, p. 219, p. 219, p. 222, p. 222, p. 224, p. 231, p. 231, p. 316, p. 318, p. 348, p. 368, p. 368, p. 371, p. 426, p. 426, p. 72, p. 72, p. 78, p. 78.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 116, p. 141, p. 206.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 71.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 40.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 504.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 36 1922 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url dymond , lloyd , dymond , lloyd , p. 128, p. 142, p. 142, p. 143, p. 143, p. 146, p. 22, p. 28, p. 29, p. 383.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 394.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 39 1979 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 111.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , , , p. 46, p. 89.
- The Journal of pharmacology. New York: Alumni Association of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, 1897- url p. 206.
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url .
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 691.
- The Naturalist. 1891 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 256, p. 304, p. 60, p. 62, p. 63, p. 64, p. 65, p. 65, p. 66, p. 66, p. 67, p. 69, p. 69, p. 70, p. 71, p. 71, p. 74, p. 86.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 108.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 423.
- The Popular educator: a complete encyclopaedia of elementary, advanced and technical education. London, Cassell url .
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url , p. 107, p. 192, p. 196, p. 198, p. 246, p. 247, p. 365, p. 413, p. 421, p. 444, p. 683.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url , p. 150, p. 282, p. 67.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 171.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 305.
- The age of mammals in Europe, Asia and North America, by Henry Fairfield Osborn. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1910. url p. 428.
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology / by Thomas Rymer Jones with five hundred illustrations. New York: G. P. Putnam, 1873 url p. 404.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / Baron Cuvier. London, G. Henderson, 1834-37. url p. 136.
- The animal kingdom; based upon the writings of the eminent naturalists, Audubon, Wallace, Brehm, Wood and others. New York: Johnson & Bailey, 1897. url p. 730.
- The animal parasites of man / H. B. Fantham, J. W. W. Stephens, F. V. Theobald New York: W. Wood, 1920 url p. 421.
- The animal parasites of man; a handbook for students and medical men. By Dr. Max Braun. New York, Wood, 1908. url p. 313.
- The animals of the world: Brehm's Life of animals; a complete natural history for popular home instruction and for the use of schools / by Alfred Edmund Brehm; copiously illustrated. .. by Fr. Specht. .. [et al.] Mammalia. Brought down and especially adapted for the use of English readers. Tr. from the 3d German edition as ed. by Chicago: A.N. Marquis & Co., 1895. url p. 374, p. 376.
- The balance of nature and modern conditions of cultivation: a practical manual of animal foes and friends for the country gentleman, the farmer, the forester, the gardener, and the sportsman / by George Abbey. London: E.P. Dutton, 1909. url p. 95.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 201, p. 216.
- The cyclopaedia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts, 1835-59. url p. 792.
- The cyclopædia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. .. London, Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper, 1836-59. url p. 379, p. 792.
- The elements of British forestry, a handbook for forest apprentices and students of forestry, by John Nisbet. .. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood and Sons url p. 173.
- The evolution theory, London, E. Arnold, 1904. url .
- The evolution theory. Translated with the author's co-operation by J. Arthur Thomson and Margaret R. Thomson. LondonE. Arnold1904 url p. 66.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & co., 1868. url p. 602.
- The farmer's and the planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & co., 1851. url p. 602.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 602.
- The faunal connections between Europe and North America. New York, Wiley url p. 21, p. 271, p. 333.
- The fruit grower's guide, by John Wright. .. With illustrations by Miss May Rivers and numerous illustrative diagrams by Worthington G. Smith and George Shayler.. .. London, Virtue and Co.[1891-1894?] url p. 297.
- The geographical distribution of mammals. By Andrew Murray. London, Day and Son, limited, 1866. url p. 367, p. 369, p. 374.
- The geological evidences of the antiquity of man: with remarks on theories of the origin of species by variation / by Sir Charles Lyell London: J. Murray, 1863 url p. 23, p. 515.
- The geology of Arran and the other Clyde islands with an account of the botany, natural history, and antiquities, notices of the scenery and an itinerary of the routes, by James Bryce. .. GlasgowW. Collins, sons, and company, 1872. url p. 314.
- The geology of the London district, being the area included in the four sheets of the special map of London. London, H.M. Stationery Off., 1922. url p. 74.
- The greyhound; its history, points, breeding, rearing, training, and running. By Hugh Dalziel. London, L.U. Gill, 1887. url p. 48.
- The grouse in health and in disease, being the final report of the Committee of inquiry on grouse disease. London, Smith, Elder & co., 1911. url p. 212.
- The handy natural history, by Ernest Protheroe, F.Z.S. With 318 illustrations, 136 being in full color. 1910 Boston, R.G. Badger, The Gorham press, 1910. url p. 245.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 29.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 248.
- The history of creation, or, The development of the earth and its inhabitants by the action of natural causes: a popular exposition of the doctrine of evolution in general, and of that of Darwin, Goethe and Lamarck in particular / from the German of Ernst Haeckel; the translation rev. by E. Ray Lankester. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1880. url p. 148.
- The illustrated natural history / by J.G. Wood; with new designs by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey, etc. etc.; engraved by the brothers Dalziel. London: G. Routledge, [188-?] url p. 584.
- The illustrated natural history. By the Rev. J. G. Wood. .. With new designs by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey, etc., etc., engr. by the brothers Dalziel. .. London, Routledge, Warne and Routledge-63. url p. 584.
- The influence of man on animal life in Scotland; study in faunal evolution, by James Ritchie. .. Cambridge: University press, 1920. url p. 280.
- The jack rabbits of the United States. By T. S. Palmer. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1896. url p. 25.
- The land and sea mammals of Middle America and the West Indies. 4 1904 Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1904. url p. 413, p. 795, p. xii.
- The mammalian fauna of the Edinburgh district: with records of occurrences of the rarer species throughout the south-east of Scotland generally 1892. Edinburgh [Scotland]: M'Farlane & Erskine, 1892. url p. 80, p. 80, p. 80.
- The mammals of Chile, by Wifred H. Osgood. 30 1943 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1943 url p. 236.
- The mammals of China and Mongolia / by Glover M. Allen. New York: American Museum of Natural History, 1938-1940. url p. 562, p. 563.
- The mammals of Illinois and Wisconsin, by Charles B. Cory. .. 11 1912 Chicago, 1912. url p. 261, p. 261, p. 496, p. 496.
- The mammals of Minnesota. A scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates. By C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 234.
- The mammals of Minnesota: a scientific and popular account of their features and habits, with 23 figures and 8 plates / by C.L. Herrick. Minneapolis: Harrison & Smith, state printers, 1892. url p. 234.
- The mammals of South Africa / by W.L. Sclater. .. London: R.H. Porter, 1900-01. url p. 92.
- The mammals, reptiles, and fishes of Essex; a contribution to the natural history of the county. By Henry Laver. With eight full-page and two half-page illustrations. Chelmsford, E. Durrant & co.; [etc., etc.]1898. url p. 136, p. 68.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 144, p. 225.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne / London: Methuen, 1901. url .
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url , p. 19, p. 20, p. 22, p. 23, p. 24, p. 25.
- The natural history of animals (class Mammalia-animals which suckle their young), in word and picture, London, Blackie[188-?] url , .
- The natural history of animals: (class Mammalia--animals which suckle their young), in word and picture / by Carl Vogt and Friedrich Specht; translated and edited with additions by George G. Chisholm. London: Blackie & Son, [1889?] url p. vii, p. x.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url , .
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 132, p. 211, p. 212, p. 43, p. 45, p. 47, p. 88.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url p. 37.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 54.
- The naturalist's library: containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / compiled from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history; arranged accor Boston: Phillips, Sampson, and Company, 1852. url p. 254.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 119, p. 123, p. 124, p. 125, p. 127.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 195.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 1365, p. 1367.
- The physical geology and geography of Great Britain: a manual of British geology / London, E. Stanford, 1878. url p. 480, p. 481.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url .
- The popular natural history / New York, Burt Co.[1884?] url .
- The rabbit, how to select, breed and manage the rabbit for pleasure or profit. By W. N. Richardson. Syracuse, N.Y., C.C. DePuy, 1916. url p. 35.
- The relative value of the processes causing evolution, The Hague, M. Nijhoff, 1921. url , p. 237.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert. .. [et al.]. London: F. Warne, 1893-1896. url p. 195.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 193, p. 195.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide the game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture: copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc.: together with a directory to by Charles Hallock. New York: Forest and Stream, 1877. url .
- The textile fibres of commerce. A handbook on the occurrence, distribution, preparation, and uses of the animal, vegetable, and mineral fibres used in cotton, woollen, paper, silk, brush, and hat manufactures. By William I. Hannan. London: C. Griffin, 1902. url p. 225.
- The transformations of the animal world / Charles Depéret; being the authorized translatin of "Les transformations du monde animal." London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, 1909. url p. 126, p. 135.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 61.
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea. Bibliography of the Ixodoidea, CambridgeUniversity Press1911-15 url p. 10.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 30, p. 30.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 279.
- Transactions of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex: The Club, 1880-1886. url p. 175.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 50.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 469, p. 506, p. 512, p. 516, p. 519.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 307, p. 307, p. 374, p. 374, p. 505, p. 517, p. 532.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 5 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 170, p. 177.
- Variability of mammals = Izmenchivost' mlekopitayushchikh / A. V. Yablokov; rev. by the author for this ed.; scientific editor of translation, L. Van Valen. New Delhi: available from the U. S. Dept of Commerce, National Technical Information Service, 1974. url p. 184, p. 292.
- Weston bros., Belgian hare scrap, no. 1. .. Kansas City, Weston bros. url p. 9.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 280.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 245.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 2223, p. 328, p. 7924.
- Zoology: an elementary text-book. Cambridge: Univ. Press, 1920. url .
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 131.
- [Collected reprints, 1912-1919. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , .
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 11, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 6 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Lagomorph Specialist Group 1996. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 19, 2008.
- Lagomorph Specialist Group 1996. Lepus timidus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 20 October 2006.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Smith, A.T. & Johnston, C.H. 2008. Lepus timidus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 11, 2008:
- Burke Museum: Mammal Specimens
- European Environment Agency: EUNIS
- Finnish Museum of Natural History: Hatikka Observation Data Gateway
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB: Paleobiology Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Biological Records Centre - Mammal records from Britain from the Atlas of Mammals (1993), with some subsequent records
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Highland Biological Recording Group - HBRG Mammals dataset.
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- UK National Biodiversity Network: The Bat Conservation Trust - The BCT/MTUK Bats & Roadside Mammals Survey
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: MSB Mammals Specimens
- University of Alaska Museum of the North: UAM Mammals Specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 107266
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-727905
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2136937
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 180113
- IUCN ID: 219173
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6753
- Mean = 247.270 meters (811.253 feet), Standard Deviation = 230.500 based on 1,586 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Smith, A.T. & Johnston, C.H. 2008. Lepus timidus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]