- The White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) was downlisted to Least Concern in 2006. Following a large recovery in many European countries during 1970 to 1990, the species continued to increase virtually everywhere during 1990 to 2000, including key populations in Norway and European Russia (which together hold >55% of the European population). A few small populations in extreme southeast Europe continued to decline, but these losses were outweighed by large increases farther north and west. The European population is now estimated at 5,000 to 6,600 pairs, encompassing 50 to 74% of the global population. (Ref 100465)
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
gray sea eagle, gray sea-eagle, greenland white-tailed eagle, Grey sea eagle, white-tailed eagle, White-tailed Sea Eagle, White-tailed Sea-eagle
Common Names in French:
Pygargue à queue blanche, Pygargue commun
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Aquila di mare
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pigargo, Pigargo coliblanco, Pigargo coliblanco de groenlandia, Pigargo Europeo
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in unspecified:
Greenland White-Tailed Eagle, White-Tailed Eagle
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 208 meters (681 feet).
The species requires large and open expanses of lake
, coast or river
valley, within the boreal, temperate
zones, nearby to
or open stands of large, old-growth trees
nesting. Its food is vertebrates
(fish, mammals and especially birds),
environments. It is mainly
migratory in the north and east of its breeding range
, but sedentary
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 4 Grassland
- 4.1 Grassland - Tundra
- 4.2 Grassland - Subarctic
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.10 Wetlands (inland) - Tundra Wetlands (incl. pools and temporary waters from snowmelt)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.1 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Sea Cliffs and Rocky Offshore Islands
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes
- 13.5 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Freshwater Lakes
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic and Marine
- 15.1 Artificial/Aquatic - Water Storage Areas (over 8ha)
- 15.3 Artificial/Aquatic - Aquaculture Ponds [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Seebohm, 1890
- Sharpe, 1874
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Infraorder: Falconides () - Sharpe, 1874
- Suborder: Accipitres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Order: Falconiformes () - Sharpe, 1874
- Superorder: Falconimorphae () - Seebohm, 1890
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Haliaeetus albicilla (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Haliaeetus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 14 species and subspecies in this genus:
H. albicilla (Greenland White-Tailed Eagle) · H. albicilla albicilla (White-Tailed Eagle) · H. albicilla groenlandicus (Greenland White-Tailed Eagle) · H. leucocephalus (White-Headed Sea Eagle) · H. leucocephalus alascanus (Bald Eagle) · H. leucocephalus leucocephalus (Bald Eagle) · H. leucogaster (White-Bellied Fish-Eagle) · H. leucoryphus (Band-Tailed Fish-Eagle) · H. pelagicus (Steller's Sea-Eagle) · H. pelagicus pelagicus (Steller's Sea Eagle) · H. sanfordi (Solomon Islands Sea-Eagle) · H. vocifer (African Fish Eagle) · H. vociferoides (Madagascar Fish Eagle) · H. vocifer vocifer (African Fish Eagle)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 97.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 101, p. 25, p. 26, p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 37, p. 54, p. 69.
- Analysis and Synthesis of National Reports. Prepared by UNEP and CMS Secretariat CMS url p. 26, p. 4.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES url p. 67.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 317, p. 326, p. 390, p. 392, p. 411, p. 413, p. 426, p. 436, p. 53, p. 79.
- Bird studies; an account of the land birds of eastern North America, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. url , .
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 367.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url , p. 447.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 349.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , , , p. 111, p. 315, p. 407, p. 474, p. 478, p. 480, p. 484, p. 756, p. 760.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 168, p. 202, p. 208, p. 91, p. 95.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 135.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr and Boardman Conover. 13 1949 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1949. url p. 217.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 180, p. 320, p. 406, p. 78, p. 89.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 71.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1895. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 113.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 106, p. 803.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 301.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 159, p. 162, p. 239, p. 52.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 205, p. 240.
- Checklist of birds listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 241, p. 245.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 148, p. 35, p. 99.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 271, p. 271.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 164, p. 171, p. 172, p. 214, p. 215, p. 217, p. 258, p. 266, p. 270, p. 288, p. 406, p. 451, p. 462, p. 512, p. 515, p. 518, p. 519, p. 520, p. 522, p. 54, p. 56, p. 582, p. 605, p. 606, p. 609, p. 628, p. 630, p. 631, p. 634, p. 73.
- Exposure of marine birds to environmental pollutants / by Harry M. Ohlendorf, Robert W. Risebrough, Kees Vermeer. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1978. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 96.
- Falconry, the sport of kings. Washington, National Geographic Society, 1920. url .
- Fauna of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska Peninsula, by Olaus J. Murie. Invertebrates and fishes collected in the Aleutians, 1936-38, by Victor B. Scheffer. Washington, Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1959 url , p. 343.
- Four years in the white North, by Donald B. MacMillan, illustrated from photographs by the author. New York, Harper & Brothers[c1918] url p. 411.
- General function of the gall bladder from the evolutionary standpoint, by Frank W. Gorham and Andrew Conway Ivy. 22 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 183.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America, with keys to the species and descriptions of their plumages, nests, and eggs. .. by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white, and upward of one hundred and fifty cuts in the text. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url p. 207.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 106, p. 286.
- Indigenous and Traditional Peoples and Protected Areas: principles, guidelines and case studies IUCN url p. 71.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1890. url p. 883.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C. B. Moffat, with a pref. by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis, 1898. url p. 24, p. 579.
- Life histories of North American birds: with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs / by Charles Bendire. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1892-1895. url p. 272.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 450, p. 465.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds; by Oliver Davie. Columbus [O.]Hann & Adair, 1889. url p. 183.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url , , p. 343, p. 343.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 656.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 19.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 349.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 670, p. vii.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 173, p. 240, p. 284.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 315.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 272.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 317, p. 647.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 33, p. 331, p. 365, p. 47, p. 52, p. 593, p. 682, p. 687, p. 84, p. 89, p. 90.
- Spixiana. 8 1985 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url boessneck , fig. 1, p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, fig. 2, p. 20, p. 21, p. 22, fig. 3.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 58.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 326, p. 511, p. 524.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 38 1924 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 139, p. 279, p. 281, p. 283, p. 303, p. 473, p. 551.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127, p. 3481, p. 626.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 192.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 40.
- World Atlas of Biodiversity: earth's living resources in the 21st century UNEP-WCMC url p. 212.
- World Checklist of Threatened Birds Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 245, p. 249, p. 43.
- [Articles about birds from National geographic magazine]. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, [19--?]-[193-?] url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Haliaeetus albicilla. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 26, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, Hawk Migration Association of North America - HawkCount
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- EMAN Provider, PIROP
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- , Korea Wild Birds
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- National Science Museum of Korea, National Science Museum of Korea Bird
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Zoology
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Upper Silesian Museum, Bytom, Upper Silesian Museum, Bird Observations
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8473
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-202238
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3085810
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175419
- IUCN ID: 212735
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNKC10020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 5736
- Standard Deviation = 332.470 based on 663 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Haliaeetus albicilla. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. ... [back]