Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Amerikansk Sort Strandskade, Amerikansk Strandskade
Common Names in Dutch:
Amerikaanse Bonte Scholekster, Amerikaanse Zwarte Scholekster
Common Names in English:
American Oystercatcher, bank bird, brown-backed oystercatcher, Frazar's oystercatcher, Sea crow
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Hu, huÃ®trier d'AmÃ©rique, huîtrier d'Amérique, huótrier d'amèrique
Common Names in German:
Braunmantel-Austernfischer, Braunmantelausternfischer, Klippenausternfischer
Common Names in Guadeloupean Creole :
Common Names in Guarani:
Common Names in Haitian Creole French:
Gwo Bekasin B
Common Names in Italian:
Beccaccia Di Mare Americana, Beccaccia Di Mare Nera Del Nordamerica
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Baiac, Piru Piru
Common Names in Portuguese (Brazil):
Common Names in Spanish:
Caracolero, Ostero Americano, Ostrero americano, Ostrero Negro Norteamericano, Ostrero P
Common Names in Spanish (Argentine):
Common Names in Spanish (Costa Rica):
Common Names in Spanish (Cuba):
Common Names in Spanish (Dominican Republic):
Common Names in Spanish (Honduras):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Ostero Americano, Ostrero Americano
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Common Names in Spanish (Paraguay):
Common Names in Spanish (Uruguay):
Common Names in Swedish:
Amerikansk Strandskata, Klippstrandskata
Adult : Head : black Face : Eye Color: yellow Eye Ring: red-orange Bill: red-orange Length : long Shape : laterally flattened, bladelike mandibles Neck: black Body: Back: brownish Chest: black Mantle: grayish-brown Shape: heavy-bodied Size: large Underparts: white Legs : Foot Color: pink Leg Color: pink Wings : Greater Coverts: white Secondaries: white with black tips Tail: brownish, with dark brown on end.Young: Face: Eye Color: brownish Bill: dusky-brown Neck: Throat : gray, mottled with dusky Body: Mantle: spotted with cinnamon.
About 18 to 20 inches long, with a wingspan of 30 to 36 inches. Adults weigh about 22.4 ounces .
Vegetation: coastal sand beaches and mudflats, coastal rocky beaches • Foraging Strata: Terrestrial • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 29 meters (95 feet).
List of Habitats
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.1 Marine Intertidal - Rocky Shoreline
- 12.2 Marine Intertidal - Sandy Shoreline and/or Beaches, Sand Bars , Spits , Etc
- 12.3 Marine Intertidal - Shingle and/or Pebble Shoreline and/or Beaches
- 12.5 Marine Intertidal - Salt Marshes (Emergent Grasses)
- 12.6 Marine Intertidal - Tidepools
Exclusively: Aquatic Invertebrates
The breeding season begins in early April, and lasts through July. The American Oystercatcher breeds on coastal beaches, among the rocks or dunes, and occasionally in the salt marshes. The nest is a small scrape on the ground , which is sometimes lined with broken shells and other material . The female lays 2-4 (usually 3) eggs that both adults incubate for 24-27 days. The young are precocial and are cared for by both adults for 34-37 days. The young leave the nest 1-2 days after hatching . Clutch Size: 2-3 Length of Incubation : 24-29 days Days to Fledge : 35+ Number of Broods: 1
Most do not migrate
The main habitat of this species is coastal areas. The American Oystercatcher finds its food by probing the sand , rocks, and other substrates in the coastal waters . The diet includes marine invertebrates , crabs, marine worms, and occasionally fish.
- Kingdom: Animalia () - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Eurasian Oystercatcher, Black Oystercatcher
Members of the genus Haematopus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 22 species and subspecies in this genus:
H. ater (Blackish Oystercatcher) · H. bachmani (American Black Oystercatcher) · H. chathamensis (Chatham Island Pied Oystercatcher) · H. finschi (South Island Pied Oystercatcher) · H. fuliginosus (Sooty Oystercatcher) · H. fuliginosus fuliginosus (Sooty Oystercatcher) · H. leucopodus (Magellanic Oystercatcher) · H. longirostris (Australian Pied Oystercatcher) · H. meadewaldoi (Canarian Black Oystercatcher) · H. moquini (African Black Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus (Palaearctic Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus longipes (Siberian Eurasian Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus malacophaga (Islandic Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus occidentalis (Eurasian Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus osculans (Eastern Oystercatcher) · H. ostralegus ostralegus (Eurasian Oystercatcher) · H. palliatus (Brown-Backed Oystercatcher) · H. palliatus frazari (American Oystercatcher) · H. palliatus galapagensis (Galapagos Oystercatcher) · H. palliatus palliatus (American Oystercatcher) · H. unicolor (New Zealand Sooty Oystercatcher) · H. unicolor unicolor (New Zealand Sooty Oystercatcher)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 100, p. 102, p. 219, p. 282, p. 283, p. 338, p. 35, p. 380, p. 407, p. 411, p. 440, p. 555, p. 588, p. 680.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 48.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 48, p. 48.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 58, p. 97.
- A catalogue of the birds of the West Indies: which do not occur elsewhere in North America north of Mexico / by C. J. Maynard. Newtonville [Mass.]: Maynard, 1898. url p. 34.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 603.
- A general history of birds by John Latham. Winchester [England]: Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author, 1822. url .
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 359.
- A history of the game birds, wild-fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states: including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre Boston: Wright & Potter printing company, state printers, 1912. url p. 616.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore[Deutsch Lithographing & Printing Co.]1895. url p. 377, p. 377.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url .
- A naturalist in the Bahamas, John I. Northrop, October 12, 1861-June 25, 1891; a memorial volume / edited with a biographical introd. New YorkColumbia University Press1910 url p. 61.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: John I. Northrop, October 12 1861 - June 25, 1891; a memorial volume, ed., with a biographical introduction by Henry Fairfield Osborn. New York, The Columbia university press[c1910] url p. 61.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: New York, Columbia University Press[c1910] url .
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url .
- A review of the birds of Connecticut. By C. Hart Merriam. New Haven, Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, Printers, 1877. url p. 145, p. 156.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 53, p. 66, p. 89.
- An authentic history of Lancaster County: in the state of Pennsylvania / by J.I. Mombert. Lancaster, Pa.: J.E. Barr & Co., 1869. url p. 514.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 449, p. 558, p. 601.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 139, p. 295, p. 494.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 107, p. 359, p. 485, p. 690.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 148.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 279, p. 402.
- Argentine ornithology. A descriptive catalogue of the birds of the Argentine Republic. By P. L. Sclater. .. With notes on their habits by W. H. Hudson. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1888-89. url p. 176.
- Beached marine birds and mammals of the North American West Coast: a manual for their census and identification / by David G. Ainley. .. [et al.] Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory; with drawings by Helen C. Strong; performed for National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service [Washington, D.C.]: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,  url p. 132, p. 196.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 480.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 607.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 699.
- Birds of Labrador / Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1907. url .
- Birds of Labrador / by Charles W. Townsend and Glover M. Allen. Boston: Printed for the Society, 1907. url p. 359.
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 130, p. 49.
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url .
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 5.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 359, p. 690, p. 692.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 690.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 359, p. 485.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C.S. Brimley and H.H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 151.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 248, p. 62.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 349.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 279, p. 402.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 144, p. 144, p. 309, p. 316, p. 32, p. 408, p. 410, p. 45, p. 469, p. 477.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 93.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 194, p. 364, p. 67.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 75.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 134, p. 134, p. 146, p. 146, p. 355, p. 414, p. 648, p. 74, p. 74, p. 75.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 42.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 11.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 80.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 232.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 122.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 55, p. 79.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, p. 20, p. 21, p. 22, p. 23.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 114, p. 116, p. 117, p. 730, p. 731.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 344, p. 6, p. 8.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 344, p. 6.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 350.
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 279, p. 402.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 102, p. 494.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 132, p. 132.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 164, p. 668, p. 679.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 173.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 119, p. 216.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 5.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url p. 5.
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 5.
- Feathered game of New England / by Walter H. Rich; with illustrations by the author. London: G. Harrap, 1908. url p. 91.
- Feathered game of the Northeast / by Walter H. Rich; with ill. by the author. New York: T.Y. Crowell, 1907. url p. 428, p. 91.
- Feathered game of the Northeast, New York, T. Y. Crowell & Co.[c1907] url .
- Feathered game of the Northeast, by Walter H. Rich; with illustrations by the author. New York, T.Y. Crowell & Co. url p. 428, p. 91, p. 91.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 529.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology / by J. Dorman Steele. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c1876. url p. 302.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 255.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America, with keys to the species and descriptions of their plumages, nests, and eggs. .. by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white, and upward of one hundred and fifty cuts in the text. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url p. 177.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 365, p. 428.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 261, p. 499.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 586.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 322.
- Key to the water birds of Florida. Boston, Barta Press1896. url p. 168.
- Mammalogy and ornithology by John Cassin. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1858. url , .
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 112.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 137.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url fig. 2, page 10, fig. 4, page 12, p. 45.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 107, p. 52.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 365, p. 376.
- Natural history of the Tres Marias Islands, Mexico. Prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1899. url p. 34.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / by Oliver Davie; introd. by J. Parker Norris; illus. by Theodore Jasper and W. Otto Emerson. Columbus OH: Hann & Adair, 1889. url p. 135.
- New England bird life: being a manual of New England ornithology; rev. and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns. .. by Dr. Elliott Coues. .. Boston, C.T. Dillingham, 1881-83. url p. 408, p. 408, p. 408.
- New England bird life; being a manual of New England ornithology: rev.and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns / Boston, C. T. Dillingham, 1883-, c1881. url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 134, p. 134, p. 394, p. 394.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 89.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 293, p. 294.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 843.
- Ornithological gazetteer of Colombia / Raymond A. Paynter, Jr. Cambridge, Mass.: Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1997. url p. 497.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 582.
- Our northern and eastern birds containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces, together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels. New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url .
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 51, p. 57, p. 61.
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 973, p. 978, p. 980.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 414, p. 444.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 1 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 160, p. 17, p. 351, p. 38, p. 41, p. 495, p. 511, p. 655, p. 685.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Reports of the Commissioners on the zoological survey of the state. Boston: Dutton and Wentworth, state printers, 1838. url .
- Reports on the fishes, reptiles and birds of Massachusetts / published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Boston: Dutton and Wentworth, State Printers, 1839. url p. 420.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 2 1862 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 14, p. 160, p. 32, p. 379, p. 381, p. 472, p. 473, p. 479, p. 480.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 227.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 4.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 14.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922. Compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American cologists. Lacon, Ill.: R.M. Barnes,  url .
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 160, p. 168, p. 205, p. 212, p. 230, p. 245, p. 272, p. 279, p. 284, p. 315, p. 330, p. 334, p. 338, p. 341, p. 350, p. 354, p. 384, p. 439, p. 48, p. 540, p. 569, p. 92.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 607.
- The Canadian journal of industry, science and art. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1856-1867. url p. 157.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 43 1983 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 731.
- The Nidiologist. Alameda, Calif.: Henry Reed Taylor, [1893-1895] url p. 144.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 153.
- The Zoological journal. London: W. Phillips, 1824- url p. 530.
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 23.
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 170.
- The birds of Canada: with descriptions of their habits, food, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure. Toronto, Rowsell, 1872. url p. 134.
- The birds of Chile, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 19 1932 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1932. url p. 382.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url , .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 194, p. 364, p. 364, p. 67.
- The birds of Long Island. By J. P. Giraud, Jr. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url , p. 222.
- The birds of Long Island. By J.P. Giraud, Jr. New York, Wiley & Putnam, 1844. url , p. 222.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 148, p. 32.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 590.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats...; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Noyes, Holmes and Co., 1870 [c1867] url p. 590.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url p. 590.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check-list, by John K. Strecker, Jr.. .. Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url p. 23.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian. .. by Charles B. Cory. .. Chicago, Special edition printed for the Field Columbian museum, 1899. url p. 130.
- The birds of the Leeward islands, Caribbean sea, by Charles B. Cory. .. 1 1909 Chicago, 1909. url p. 197, p. 204, p. 230.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 230.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 165.
- The game birds of California. .. by Joseph Grinnell, Harold Child Bryant and Tracy Irwin Storer. 1918 Berkeley, University of California Press, 1918. url p. 502.
- The naturalist in Vancouver Island and British Columbia. By John Keast Lord. .. London, R. Bentley, 1866. url p. 298.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 309, p. 309.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history: with a complete catalogue of the birds of eastern Massachusetts / Salem, [Mass.]: The Naturalists' Agency, 1877, c1870. url .
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 45.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 19.
- The water birds of North America by S.F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1884. url .
- Through the heart of Patagonia, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url .
- Through the heart of Patagonia, by H. Hesketh Prichard. .. with illustrations from drawings in colour and black and white, by John Guille Millais. .. and from photographs New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902 url p. 344.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 103.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Science and Literature. Baltimore: The Academy, 1837. url p. 377.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 14 1966 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 179, p. 409, p. 54, p. 61.
- Visitors' guide to the local collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City: with an annotated list of the birds known to occur within fifty miles of New York City / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: Printed for the Museum, 1894. url p. 96.
- Wildbirds of New York / by Chester A. Reed. Mohonk Lake, N.Y.: Mohonk Salesrooms, c1912. url p. 49.
- Wilson's American ornithology: with notes by Jardine; to which is added a synopsis of American birds, including those described by Bonaparte, Audubon, Nuttall, and Richardson / by T.M. Brewer. 1840 Boston: Otis, Broaders, and Co., 1840. url p. 724.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 376.
- BirdLife International 2009. Haematopus palliatus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8200
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176474
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481680
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176472
- IUCN ID: 212676
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNNC01010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 207