Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Dutch:
Gaai, Vlaamse Gaai
Common Names in English:
Eurasian Jay, European Jay, Jay
Common Names in French:
Geai des chÍnes
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Arrendajo, Arrendajo Común
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 5,031 meters (0 to 16,506 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.4 Forest - Temperate
- 1.6 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Lowland
- 1.9 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Moist Montane
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.4 Artificial/Terrestrial - Rural Gardens
- 14.5 Artificial/Terrestrial - Urban Areas [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Garrulus glandarius (Linnaeus, 1758) • Garrulus glandarius Linnaeus 1758
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Garrulus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- , 274 p.port.22 cm. url , p. 261, p. 64.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url , , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 18.
- A book of birds. 1908 London, Sidney Appleton, 1908. url p. 144.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 289.
- A compendium of human & comparative pathological anatomy / London: B. Fellowes, 1831. url p. 123.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 91.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 466, p. 467.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 466.
- A glossary of popular, local and old-fashioned names, of British birds; London: H. Sotheran & Co., 1902. url p. 10, p. 21, p. 66.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 508.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 20.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 5.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 501, p. 513.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url p. 185, p. 185, p. 32, p. 32.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 118, p. 119.
- A handbook of the vertebrate fauna of Yorkshire: being a catalogue of British mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes / by Wm. Eagle Clarke, and Wm. Denison Roebuck. London: Reeve, 1881. url p. 35, p. 35.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url , , p. 323, p. 323, p. 327, p. 327, p. 522.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url , p. 119.
- A history of British birds, London, Pub. for the author by R. H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url .
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relation; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. London, Printed for Scott, Webster and Geary, 1837-52. url p. 724, p. 757.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url , p. 569.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 323, p. 323, p. 327.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , , p. 241, p. 247, p. 254, p. 463, p. 465, p. 479, p. 481, p. 487, p. 488, p. 489, p. 491, p. 495, p. 496, p. 497, p. 500.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 216, p. 67, p. 84.
- A list of British birds belonging to the Humber district: having a special reference to their migrations / by John Cordeaux. London [England]: R. H. Porter, 1899. url p. 13.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 118, p. 5, p. 6.
- A list of British birds. The genera arranged according to Sundevall's method. The nomenclature revised by Henry Thornton Wharton. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 9.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 29.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 19.
- A manual of British vertebrate animals: or Descriptions of all the animals belonging to the classes, Mammalia, Aves, Reptilia, Amphibia, and Pisces, which have been hitherto observed in the British Islands: including the domesticated, natur By the Rev. Leonard Jenyns. Cambridge, Printed by J. Smith, sold by J. & J.J. Deighton; [etc., etc.]1835. url p. 148.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 136, p. 168.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , , , , , .
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: John C. Nimmo, 1896. url , p. 108.
- A pocket-book of British birds, by E.F.M. Elms. London: West, Newman & co. [etc.], 1906. url p. 52.
- A popular history of British birds' eggs / by Richard Laishley. London: L. Reeve, 1858. url p. 304.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url p. 27, p. 27, p. 28, p. 28, p. 30, p. 524, p. 529, p. 529.
- A spring and summer in Lapland / by "an old bushman." London: Groombridge, 1871. url p. 275.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 246.
- A text-book of agricultural zoology, and London, W. Blackwood and sons, 1899. url .
- A text-book of zoogeography / by Frank E. Beddard. Cambridge: University Press, 1895. url p. 19.
- A text-book of zoogeography, by Frank E. Beddard... Cambridge, University press, 1895. url p. 19.
- A treatise on zoology / edited by E. Ray Lankester. London: A. & C. Black, 1900-1909. url p. 348.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 348.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 348, p. 435.
- A year with the birds / by W. Warde Fowler; with illustrations by Bryan Hook. London: Macmillan, 1891. url p. 264.
- A year with the birds, Oxford, B. H. Blackwell, 1886. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 101, p. 13, p. 14, p. 172, p. 25, p. 256, p. 30, p. 31, p. 31, p. 31, p. 324, p. 33, p. 33, p. 34, p. 34, p. 35, p. 35, p. 37, p. 38, p. 38, p. 39, p. 40, p. 40, p. 41, p. 47, p. 62, p. 63, p. 67, p. 74, p. 84.
- Agricultural zoology, London, Chapman & Hall, Ld., 1894. url .
- Among British birds in their nesting haunts: illustrated by the camera / by Oswin A. J. Lee. Edinburgh: David Douglas, [1896-9?] url p. 75, p. 77.
- An illustrated manual of British birds, with 384 illustrations and 3 colored maps. London, Gurney, 1899. url p. 235.
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 646.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url , p. 182, p. 182, p. 189, p. 59, p. 59.
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url p. 14, p. 385, p. 526.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our Living World" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. New York, S. Hess url .
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 187, p. 187, p. 390, p. 390.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 108, p. 154, p. 155.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 173, p. 173, p. 212, p. 212.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 287, p. 690.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 103, p. 112, p. 129, p. 15, p. 38, p. 40, p. 50.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 15, p. 20.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 340.
- Bird life in arctic Norway: a popular brochure / by Robert Collett; translated by Alfred Heneage Cocks. London: H.R. Porter, 1894. url .
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 197, p. 49.
- Bird-hunting through wild Europe / New York: D. Appleton, 1909. url .
- Bird-life of the borders on moorland and sea, with faunal notes extending over forty years. By Abel Chapman. With coloured map, and numerous illustrations. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1907. url p. 148.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 197, p. 49, p. 80.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 554, p. 605.
- Birds beneficial to agriculture, London, Printed by order of the Trustees of the British museum, 1919. url , p. 44, p. 46.
- Birds of Britain, London, A. and C. Black, 1907. url .
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url , p. 156.
- Birds of Great Britain and Ireland. by Arthur G. Butler; illustrated by H. Gro?nvold and F.W. Frohawk. Hull; Brumby & Clarke, [1907?-1908?]. url , p. 213.
- Birds of Marlborough; being a contribution to the ornithology of the district, by Everard F. Im Thurn. With an appendix. Marlborough, Perkins, "Times" office; [etc., etc.]1870. url p. 38.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 7.
- Birds of the Indian Hills. London, John Lane, 1915. url .
- Birds of the Indian hills, by Douglas Dewar. A companion volume to the bird volumes of "The fauna of British India." London, John Lane company; [etc., etc.]1915. url p. 260.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 780, p. 857.
- Birds' nests; an introduction to the science of caliology, London, F. A. Stokes company, 1902. url , .
- Birds: the elements of ornithology. London, R. H. Porter url .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 47, p. 50.
- Blood immunity and blood relationship; a demonstration of certain blood-relationships amongst animals by means of the precipitin test for blood, by George H. F. Nuttall...Including original researches by G. S. Graham-Smith...and T. S. P. Strangeways. Cambridge, University press, 1904. url p. 296.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 129, p. 206.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 32.
- British birds & their eggs: with a new method of identification / London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds and their eggs: with a new method of identification / by J. Maclair Boraston. London: W. & R. Chambers, 1909. url .
- British birds in their haunts / by the Rev. C. A. Johns; with illustrations on wood, drawn by Wolf, engraved by Whymper. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 263, p. 613.
- British birds in their haunts, by the late Rev. C.A. Johns. .. ed., rev., and annotated, by J.A. Owen. .. Illustrated with 64 coloured plates (256 figures) by William Foster. .. With a glossary of common and provincial names and te London, E.P. Dutton & Co., 1909. url p. 58.
- British birds with their nests and eggs, by Arthur G. Butler [and others] Illustrated by F. W. Frohawk. London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url p. 146.
- British birds' eggs and nests, popularly described. .. S.l.s.n.pref. 1861 url p. 61.
- British birds' eggs and nests: popularly described / By J. C. Atkinson; with coloured illustrations by W. S. Coleman. London: G. Routledge and Sons, 1901. url p. 128.
- British birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url .
- British birds, by W. H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F.R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1921. url , p. 356.
- British birds, by W.H. Hudson, C.M.Z.S. With a chapter on structure and classification by Frank E. Beddard, F. R.S. With 8 coloured plates from original drawings by A. Thorburn and 8 plates and 100 figures in black London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1895. url p. 158.
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 209, p. 243, p. 289, p. 335, p. 402, p. 86.
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 10.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , , .
- British oology: being illustrations of the eggs of British birds, with figures of each species, as far as practicable, drawn and coloured from nature: accompanied by descriptions of the materials and situation of th Newcastle upon Tyne: Published for the author by C. Empson, [1833?-1838?] url , .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 242, p. 301, p. 406, p. 448, p. 595.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1971 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 184, p. 184, p. 51, fig. 9.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 7.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 202.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 103, p. 127, p. 155, p. 165, p. 274, p. 274, p. 281, p. 61, p. 90.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 109 1953 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 509, p. 616, p. 623, p. 624, p. 627, p. 628, p. 629.
- Cassell's book of birds: From the text of Dr. Brehm / London, Cassell, Petter and Galpin, [1875?] url , p. 309.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 316, p. 419.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1896. url p. 14.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 7, p. 84.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 16, p. 166, p. 220, p. 311.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 166, p. 220, p. 314.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 91, p. 96.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 489, p. 490, p. 491.
- Catalogue of the Edward E. Ayer Ornithological Library. .. 16 1926 Chicago, 1926. url p. 304, p. 359.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 93.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 489, p. 490, p. 493.
- Catalogue of the species of Entozoa, or intestinal worms, contained in the collection of the British Museum [by William Baird] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1853 url p. 121, p. 80.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 14.
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 297.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 195, p. 198, p. 199, p. 200, p. 316, p. 428, p. 429.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 229, p. 231, p. 232, p. 233, p. 234.
- Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands / issued by Lord Lilford. London: R. H. Porter, 1885-1897. url , p. 8.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url .
- Condition and doings of the Boston Society of Natural History as exhibited by the annual reports. Boston url p. 22.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 9.
- Country rambles, and Manchester walks and wild flowers: being rural wanderings in Cheshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire, & Yorkshire, by Leo H. Grindon. Manchester, Palmer & Howe, 1882. url p. 273.
- Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan, 1891. url p. 36.
- Darwinism; an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications, by Alfred Russel Wallace. London and New York, Macmillan and co., 1889. url p. 36.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry / by Leonard Pearson and B.H. Warren. [Harrisburg, Pa.]: C.M. Busch, 1897. url p. 591.
- Diseases and enemies of poultry. Pearson & Warren. Harrisburg, C.M. Busch, state printer, 1897 url p. 591.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 266.
- Elements of natural history, adapted to the present state of the science, containing the generic characters of nearly the whole animal kingdom, and the descriptions of the principal species. By John Stark. .. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood; [etc., etc.], 1828. url p. 201.
- Evolution of to-day; a summary of the theory of evolution as held by scientists at the present time, and an account of the progress made by the discussions and investigations of a quarter of a century, by H.W. Conn. .. London: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1896[c1886] url p. 179.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1168.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url .
- Familiar wild birds / by W. Swaysland; with coloured plates. 1 1883 London; New York: Cassell, 1883. url figure , p. 166, p. 37.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 162.
- Favorite flies and their histories, Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1892] url p. 223.
- Fleas, flukes & cuckoos; a study of bird parasites, by Miriam Rothschild and Theresa Clay. New York, Macmillan, 1957. url p. 290, p. 303.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 111.
- General zoology, or, Systematic natural history / London: Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 365.
- Geographical distribution of British birds / by Henry Seebohm. London: R.H. Porter, 1893. url , p. 7, p. 8.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 172.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees [by Taylor and Francis], 1905. url p. 137.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 1.
- Half-hours in the green lanes: a book for a country stroll / by J. E. Taylor. London: W. H. Allen & Company, 1898. url p. 137.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 92.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 19, p. 20.
- Handbook and guide to the British birds on exhibition in the Lord Derby Natural History Museum, Liverpool. Liverpool, C. Tinling, 1914. url p. 4.
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 485.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 253, p. 265.
- History and antiquities of Charnwood forest: with an appendix on the geology, botany & ornithology of the district. .. London: Hamilton, 1842. url p. 68.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 134.
- How to sex cage birds (British and foreign), London, "The Feathered world", "Canary and cage-bird life" url p. 84.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 474.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 111, p. 121, p. 123, p. 134, p. 136, p. 142, p. 143, p. 149, p. 16, p. 174, p. 180, p. 184, p. 19, p. 191, p. 196, p. 199, p. 199, p. 209, p. 222, p. 24, p. 248, p. 255, p. 276, p. 280, p. 299, p. 32, p. 328, p. 332, p. 333, p. 350, p. 370, p. 377, p. 378, p. 381, p. 384, p. 400, p. 405, p. 430, p. 433, p. 434, p. 456, p. 485, p. 492, p. 5, p. 514, p. 530, p. 539, p. 547, p. 56, p. 575, p. 59, p. 62, p. 635, p. 635, p. 643, p. 645, p. 651, p. 662, p. 673, p. 678, p. 682, p. 7, p. 707, p. 72, p. 73, p. 736, p. 77, p. 775, p. 84.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 17, p. 350.
- Illustrated natural history of the animal kingdom, being a systematic and popular description of the habits, structure, and classification of animals from the highest to the lowest forms, with their r New-YorkDerby & Jackson1859 url p. 192.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. Edinburgh: Printed for the proprietor, and pub. by W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.], 1833. url p. 362, p. 362.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 27.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 72, p. 77.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 37, p. 554.
- Island life; or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates, by Alfred Russel Wallace. London, Macmillan, 1880. url p. 21, p. 37.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 452, p. 99.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 632.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 333.
- Key to North American birds containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland / by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1884. url .
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 842.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous Mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London[Printed by R. and A. Taylor]1882. url p. 18.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 591.
- Life of Alfred Newton / by A. F. R. Wollaston; with a preface by Sir Archibald Geikie. New York: E. P. Dutton, 1921. url p. 261.
- Life of Alfred Newton, professor of comparative anatomy, Cambridge university, 1866-1907, by A.F.R. Wollaston. With a preface by Sir Archibald Geikie, O.M. London, J. Murray, 1921. url p. 261.
- Life of Alfred Newton: professor of comparative anatomy, Cambridge University, 1866-1907 / by A.F.R. Wollaston. With a preface by Sir Archibald Geikie, O.M. London: J. Murray, 1921. url p. 261.
- List of the birds in the Indian Museum. Pt. 1. Families Corvidae, Paradiseidae, Ptilomorhnchidae and Crateropodidae. By F. Finn. Calcutta, 1901. url p. 13.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British Museum / [edited by J.E. Gray] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1852- url p. 46.
- List of the vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1862. url p. 59.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 294, p. 294, p. 698.
- List of vertebrated animals living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. .. London, Printed for the Society, 1866. url p. 88.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 152.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url p. 275.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 179, p. 179.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 396.
- Manual of British birds: including the essential characteristics of the orders, families, genera, and species. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1846. url p. 110.
- Materials for the study of variation: treated with especial regard to discontinuity in the origin of species / by William Bateson. London: Macmillan, 1894. url p. 135.
- Memorial edition of Thomas Bewick's works. London, B. Quaritch, 1885-87. url p. 85.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 289.
- Monographia anoplurorum Britanniae or An essay on the British species of parasitic insects belonging to the order of Anoplura of Leach, with the modern divisions of the general according to the views of Leach, Nitzsch, and Burmeister, by Henry Denny. . London: H. G. Bohn, 1842 url p. 130, p. 42, p. 51, p. 99.
- Mémoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 22.
- Natural history of the animal kingdom for the use of young people: in three parts, comprising I. Mammalia: II. Birds: Part III. Reptiles, amphibia, fishes, insects, worms, molluscs, zoophytes, &c.: with 91 coloured plates, including about 850 figures, and numerous adapted from the German of Professor von Schubert by W.F. Kirby. 1889 Brighton: E. & J.B. Young and Co., 1889. url plate X.
- Natural history, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url .
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 742.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 358.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 315, p. 426, p. 450, p. 556.
- Notes on sport and ornithology, London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url .
- Notes on sport and ornithology, by his imperial and royal highness the late crown prince Rudolph of Austria. Tr with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 564, p. 621.
- Notes on sport and ornithology. Translated with the author's permission, by C. G. Danford. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 621.
- Notes on the birds of Herefordshire, contributed by members of the Woolhope Club. Collected and arranged by the late Henry Graves Bull.
- Notes on the birds of Northamptonshire and neighbourhood / Lord Lilford; illustrated by A. Thorburn and G.E. Lodge. London: Porter, 1895. url p. 232.
- Notes on the birds of Rainham, including the district between Chatham and Sittingbourne. London, Curney & Jackson, 1894. url p. 44.
- Observations in natural history: with an introduction on habits of observing, as connected with the study of that science. Also a calendar of periodic phenomena in natural history; with remarks on the importance of such registers / by the rev. Leonard Jenys. London: John van Voorst, 1846. url p. 154.
- On the distribution of birds in Great Britain, during the nesting season / Alexander G. More. [London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1865]. url p. 42.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , p. 13, p. 58.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 476, p. 493, p. 494, p. 530.
- Ornithological miscellany / London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 275.
- Ornithological rambles in Sussex: with a systematic catalogue of the birds of that country, and remarks on their local distribution / by A.E. Knox. London:J. Van Voarst, 1850. url p. 212.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 10, p. 106, p. 26.
- Our Irish song birds / by Charles William Benson. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis; 1901. url p. 200.
- Our country's birds and how to know them. A guide to all the birds of Great Britain. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent[1892?] url , , .
- Our resident birds and how to know them / E.F.M. Elms. London: T. Butterworth,  url p. 61, p. 61.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , , p. 350.
- Partridges and partridge manors, by Aymer Maxwell, with 16 illustrations in colour by George Rankin. London, A. & C. Black, 1911. url p. 204.
- Pets and how to care for them, [New York]New York zoological park, 1921. url p. 299.
- Pets: their history and care. With illus. from life. New YorkHolt1917 url p. 205, p. 366.
- Pets; their history and care, New York, H. Holt and company, 1917. url , .
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 30.
- Prize essay on the natural and economical history of the fishes marine, fluviatile, and lacustrine, of the river district of the Firth of Forth. By Richard Parnell. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black; 1838. url p. 482.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 138.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 15, p. 559, p. 559.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 420.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 236, p. 567, p. 576, p. 84, p. 938, p. 939, p. 951.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url , p. 163, p. 296.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 406.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 194, p. 20, p. 324, p. 353, p. 510, p. 600, p. 623, p. 668.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , , , p. 1008, p. 1017, p. 1069, p. 1069, p. 146, p. 253, p. 304, p. 312, p. 462, p. 483, p. 616, p. 680, p. 70, p. 709, p. 721, p. 730, p. 774, p. 82.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 138.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 185.
- Remarks on the Ornithology of Northern Norway / by Robert Collett. Christiania: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 30.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 108, p. 151, p. 154, p. 155.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 130.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 510.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 510.
- Reptiles and birds: a popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited by Parker Gillmore. Springfield, Mass.: W.J. Holland,  url p. 510.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 385.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 103, p. 275, p. 348, p. 87, p. 91.
- Rural bird life: being essays on ornithology with instructions for preserving objects relating to that science / by Charles Dixon; with forty-five illustrations and a preface by Elliott Coues. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, c1880. url .
- Scandinavian adventures, during a residence of upwards of twenty years; representing sporting incidents, and subjects of natural history, and devices for entrapping wild animals. With some account of the northern fauna. By L. Lloyd. London: R. Bentley, 1854. url p. 338.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 223, p. 4.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 181.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1367, p. 1544.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url .
- Sketches of bird life; from twenty years observation of their haunts & habits. .. London, Allen, 1883. url p. 180.
- Smithsonian herpetological information service. Washington: Division of Reptiles and Amphibians, U.S. National Museum. url p. 23, p. 30, p. 41, p. 5.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 146 1964 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 101, p. 25, p. 30, p. 324, p. 41.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 182.
- Somerset archaeology and natural history: the proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. url p. 144, p. 164.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 131, p. 171, p. 317, p. 461, p. 552, p. 569, p. 594, p. 612.
- Systematic catalogue of the eggs of British birds; arranged with a view to supersede the use of labels for eggs. London, John van Voorst, 1848. url p. 21.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url .
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 194.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 11, p. 205, p. 369, p. 415, p. 424, p. 499, p. 499, p. 499, p. 499, p. 74.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 124, p. 14, p. 152, p. 208, p. 209, p. 210, p. 250, p. 269, p. 49, p. 70, p. 80.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 122, p. 172, p. 209, p. 330, p. 406.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url , p. 181, p. 271, p. 370.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url .
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 554, p. 554, p. 605.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 209.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 266, p. 290, p. 290.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 315.
- The Field naturalist: a review of animals, plants, minerals, the structure of the earth, and appearances of the sky / edited by James Rennie. London: Orr and Smith, 1835. url p. 49.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , .
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 112, p. 123, p. 131, p. 149, p. 74.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 44, p. 68, p. 95.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 851.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 433.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 691.
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 132, p. 136, p. 137, p. 14, p. 152, p. 26, p. 318, p. 41, p. 88, p. 95.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 148.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url , p. 525.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 117, p. 277.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 152, p. 233, p. 253, p. 311, p. 79.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 42 1961 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 130, p. 147.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 149.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 196.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url p. 153, p. 45.
- The balance of nature and modern conditions of cultivation: a practical manual of animal foes and friends for the country gentleman, the farmer, the forester, the gardener, and the sportsman / by George Abbey. London: E.P. Dutton, 1909. url p. 39.
- The bird-life of London / by Charles Dixon, with illustrations in colour and black and white. London: W. Heinemann, 1909. url , p. 332.
- The birds of Ayrshire and Wigtownshire / by Robert Gray and Thomas Anderson; with a lithographic illustration. Glasgow: Thomas Murray and Son, 1869. url p. 28.
- The birds of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire: a contribution to the natural history of the two counties / by Alexander W. M. Clark Kennedy. Eton: Ingalton and Drake; 1868. url p. 42.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 141, p. 37.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Cheshire / by T. A. Coward and Charles Oldham. Manchester [England]: Sherratt and Hughes, 1900. url p. 264, p. 98.
- The birds of Devon / 1892 London: R.H. Porter, 1892. url p. 86.
- The birds of Devonshire / by William E.H. Pidsley; edited by H.A. Macpherson, with map and coloured plate. London: Gibbings, 1891. url p. 52.
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London: R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 172.
- The birds of London / London: Sonnenschein, 1893. url p. 49.
- The birds of Norfolk, with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution: by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 280, p. 280, p. 307, p. 307, p. 424, p. 441, p. 441.
- The birds of Norfolk: with remarks on their habits, migration, and local distribution / by Henry Stevenson. London: J. Van Voorst, 1866-1890. url p. 280, p. 424.
- The birds of Pembrokeshire and its islands / by Murray A. Mathew. London [England]: R.H. Porter, 1894. url p. 31.
- The birds of Sherwood Forest: with notes on their habits, nesting, migrations, etc., being a contribution to the natural history of the country / by W.J. Sterland. London: L. Reeve, 1869. url p. 142.
- The birds of Somersetshire. London, John van Voorst, 1869. url p. 239, p. 637.
- The birds of Sussex, London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url , .
- The birds of Sussex, by William Borrer. London, R.H. Porter, 1891. url p. 155, p. 381.
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 9.
- The birds of Wiltshire. Comprising all the periodical and occasional visitants, as well as those which are indigenous to the county. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith. .. Devizes, H.F. Bull, 1887. url p. 175, p. 245.
- The birds of Yorkshire: being a historical account of the avi-fauna of the county / by T. H. Nelson; with the co-operation of W. Eagle Clarke and F. Boyes. London: A. Brown, 1907. url p. 225, p. 788.
- The birds of our country. London, Digby, Long & Co., 1898. url p. 393, p. 91.
- The birds of our country. With illus. by A. Thorburn, J. Giacomelli, G.E. Lodge, K. Keyl, and R. Kretschmer. London, Digby, Long, 1897. url p. 393, p. 91.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url .
- The book of cage birds / by Henry B. Hirst. Philadelphia: Bernard Duke, 1843. url p. 10, p. 173.
- The collected scientific papers of the late Alfred Henry Garrod, M.A., F.R.S. / edited, with a biographical memoir of the author, by W.A. Forbes. London: R.H. Porter, 1881. url p. 167, p. 529.
- The dates of publication of some of the zoological works of the late John Gould, F.R.S. / Compiled by Frederick Herschel Waterhouse. London: R. H. Porter, 1885. url p. 9.
- The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1896. url .
- The descent of man: and selection in relation to sex / New York: P. F. Collier, 1902. url .
- The eggs of European birds / by Francis C.R. Jourdain. London: R.H. Porter, 1906. url .
- The elements of British forestry, a handbook for forest apprentices and students of forestry, by John Nisbet. .. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood and Sons url p. 179.
- The faculties of birds. London: Charles Knight, . 22, Ludgate Street, 1835. url p. 324.
- The fauna of Shropshire, being an account of all the mammals, birds, reptiles & fishes found in the county of Salop. With an introduction dealing with the physical features of the county, a copious index, a chapter on the pri Illustrated by photographic plates and portraits. By H. Edward Forrest. Shrewsbury, L. Wilding [etc. etc.]1899. url p. 126.
- The feathered tribes of the British Islands / by Robert Mudie. London: H.G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 194, p. 435.
- The food of some British wild birds: a study in economic ornithology. By Walter E. Collinge. .. London: Dulau & Co., 1913. url p. 107, p. 50, p. 81, p. vii.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url , .
- The geographical and geological distribution of animals by Angelo Heilprin. London: Kegan Paul, Trench, 1887. url p. 25.
- The gun; afield & afloat. London, Chapman, 1904. url p. 304.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 505, p. 93.
- The home life of wild birds; a new method of the study and photography of birds, by Francis Hobart Herrick. London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1902. url p. 52.
- The microscopic miscellany; being selections from the Microscopic journal, containing the most recent facts, and important discoveries in human and comparative anatomy, zoology, botany, etc. developed by British and foreign microscopical observers, ed. by Daniel Cooper. London, 1847. url p. 144.
- The migration of British birds, including their post-glacial emigrations as traced by the application of a new law of disperal being a contribution to the study of migration, geographical distribution, and insular faunas, by Charles Dixon. London, Chapman and Hann, 1895. url p. 144.
- The migration of birds, as observed at Irish lighthouses and lightships including the original reports from 1888-97, now published for the first time, and an analysis of these and of the previously pu together with an appendix giving the measurement sof about 1600 wings / London: R.H. Porter, [etc., etc., 1900] url p. 161.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom: quadruped, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects de by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. London: Mackenzie, [1859-62?] url p. 345, p. 439.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 364.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url p. 339, p. 340, p. 433.
- The natural history of Selborne: and the naturalist's calendar / by the Rev. Gilbert White; fully illustrated. London: Frederick Warne and Co., . url p. 235.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The natural history of birds; a popular introduction to ornithology. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 198, p. 199.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 105.
- The natural history of the birds of Ireland, indigenous and migratory: containing descriptions of the habits, migrations, occurrence, and economy, of the 261 species comprised in the Fauna / by John J. Watters. Dublin: J. McGlashan, 1853. url p. 276, p. 294, p. 72.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url p. 461.
- The naturalist in Siluria (Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire and Glamorganshire). By Captain Mayne Reid. .. Philadelphia, Gebbie & Co., 1890. url p. 95.
- The naturalist in Siluria. London, S. Sonnenschein, 1889. url .
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 253.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 158, p. 164, p. 174, p. 329, p. 341.
- The nests and eggs of British birds: when and where to find them: being a handbook to the oology of the British Islands / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1894. url p. 15, p. 15.
- The ornithological guide. .. London: Whittaker,  url p. 197.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar / by L. Howard L. Irby. London: R.H. Porter, 1895. url p. 81, p. 82.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. 1 London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 343.
- The popular natural history / New York, Burt Co.[1884?] url .
- The protection of woodlands against dangers arising from organic and inorganic causes. As rearranged for the fourth ed. of Kauschinger's Waldschutz. Authorised translation, with numerous notes by John Nisbet EdinburghD. Douglas1893 url p. 106.
- The shot-gun and sporting rifle: and the dogs, ponies, ferrets, &c., used with them in the various kinds of shooting and trapping. by Stonehenge [pseud.] Illustrated with numerous engravings. London, Roultedge [!] Warne, and Routledge, 1859. url p. 402.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url , p. 594.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url .
- The vertebrate eye and its adaptive radiation [by] Gordon Lynn Walls. Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Cranbrook Institute of Science, 1942 url p. 655.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 236.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London: Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 104.
- The zoologist's text-book, embracing the characters of the classes, orders, and genera, of almost the whole animal kingdom. .. By Captain Thomas Brown. .. Glasgow, A. Fullarton, & co.; [etc., etc.]1832. url p. 170.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 74.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 39.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 456.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 136, p. 218, p. 245, p. 90.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 299.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 47.
- Turner on birds: a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Ed. with introduction, translation, notes, and appendix, by A. H. Evans. Cambridge, University press, 1903. url , , p. 216.
- Turner on birds; a short and succinct history of the principal birds noticed by Pliny and Aristotle, first published by Doctor William Turner, 1544. Cambridge, University Press, 1903. url , .
- Type-specimens of birds in the British Museum (Natural History) / by R.L.M. Warren & C.J.O. Harrison. London: BM(NH), 1966-1973. url p. 479.
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url , .
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 108, p. 467.
- Woodland creatures; being some wild life studies, by Frances Pitt. London, G. Allen & Unwin ltd. url p. 301.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 304, p. 328.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url , , p. 12, p. 12, p. 13, p. 13, p. 13, p. 13, p. 16, p. 25, p. 27, p. 310, p. 47.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 377, p. 7.
- BirdLife International 2009. Garrulus glandarius. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, GEO Biodiversity Day
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- Senckenberg, Collection Aves
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3958
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-560214
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3085810
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 560214
- IUCN ID: 210707
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 130208