Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Albanian:
Shapka E Ujit
Common Names in Armenian:
Common Names in Asturian:
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Breton:
Ar Gioc'h Lann
Common Names in Catalan:
Becadell Com, Cegall
Common Names in Chinese:
Common Names in Cornish:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in Emiliano-romagnolo:
Common Names in English:
Common Snipe, American snipe, European snipe, Snipe, Wilson's snipe
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
B?cassine des marais, bÃ©cassine des marais, bécassine des marais
Common Names in Frisian:
Common Names in Gaelic, Irish:
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Italian:
Beccaccino, Beccaccino Comune
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Capella gallinago, Gallinago gallinago
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Malay:
Berkek Ekor Kapas
Common Names in Maltese:
Common Names in Manx:
Coa R Heddagh
Common Names in Northern Sami:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
(Bekas) Kszyk, Bekas, Kszyk
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Portuguese (Brazil):
Common Names in Romansh:
Becassina Da Pal
Common Names in Russian:
Bekas, Бекас, Бекас обыкновенный
Common Names in Scots:
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Agachadiza Com, Agachadiza común, Agachona Com, Agachona comÃºn, Agachona común
Common Names in Spanish (Argentine):
Common Names in Spanish (Costa Rica):
Common Names in Spanish (Dominican Republic):
Common Names in Spanish (Mexico):
Common Names in Spanish (Nicaragua):
Common Names in Swahili:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Valencian:
Common Names in Welsh:
Dafad Y Gors
Adult : Head : longitudinal dark striped on buff Bill: dusky brown, tinged with olive at base Length : long Shape : heavy Neck: buffy,mottled and streaked with dark brown Length: short Body: Back: buff edged stripes Chest: buffy, mottled and streaked with dark brown Flanks: barred with black Shape: plump Sides: barred with black Underparts: white Upperparts: mottled and barred with black, brown, and buff Legs : Foot Color: greenish Leg Color: greenish Leg Length: short Tail: orangish with black subterminal bar.
About 10 to 11 inches long, with a wingspan of 17 to 20 inches. Adults weigh about 4.5 ounces .
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 154 meters (504 feet).
Behaviour This species is fully migratory although some populations
only migrate short distances2. It breeds
to August3 in solitary territorial
pairs and after
breeding it moves to moulting areas before migrating
south to the
grounds2. It is not a truly gregarious
species6 although it usually forages
in small groups2,
occasionally also gathering in larger flocks of several hundred
migration or in the winter3. The species is also
generally crepuscular in its activities2. Habitat
Breeding The species breeds on fresh or brackish
with rich or tussocky vegetation2, 3 including
grassy or marshy
and rivers2, marshy
and moors4, marshy tundra, wet meadows2,
peat bogs, fens
(North America)4 and swampy
forest5. Non-breeding In its wintering range
the species frequents similar habitats
to those it breeds in2,
3 including permanent and temporary swamps, the marshy
edges of lakes and dams, flooded sedge and grassland7,
also utilising more artificial habitats such as damp farmland3
cattle pastures, sugar-cane fields4, rice-fields2),
farms2 and drainage
The species may also move to more coastal areas such as the upper
of estuaries and coastal meadows2 during
periods of frost6. Diet Its diet
and larval insects, earthworms, small crustaceans2
)4, small gastropods
spiders2, small amphibians
and occasionally plant fibres, seeds and grit4.
Breeding site The nest
is a shallow scrape6
positioned on dry ground
in marshes, fens, swamps and bogs4
(e.g. on a mound or sedge tuft)5 in the cover
, rushes, sedge or sphagnum moss2. The species
nests in solitary territorial pairs at densities of between 10 and
38 or up to 110 pairs per kilometre2. Management
information Studies in Danish coastal wetlands found that the
spatial restriction of shore-based shooting was more successful at
maintaining waterfowl population sizes than was the temporal
of shooting, and therefore that wildfowl reserves should incorporate
shooting-free refuges that include adjacent
marshland in order
ensure high waterbird species diversity13. The
species is known to show increased hatching
successes when ground
have been excluded
by erecting protective fences around
nesting areas15. At a reserve in the UK management
strategies such as reseeding grasslands to be dominated by rushes
and purple moor-grass Molinia caerulea,
mechanical cutting and grazing, digging small scrapes and maintaining
high water-levels succeeded in attracting an increased number of
breeding pairs to the area16. The annual
is estimated every year by wing
surveys in Denmark
since the 1970s and in France since the mid-1990s18.
are estimated every year in Denmark18.
List of Habitats:
- 1 Forest
- 1.1 Forest - Boreal
- 4 Grassland
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs, Marshes, Swamps, Fens, Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
- 5.7 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.8 Wetlands (inland) - Seasonal/Intermittent Freshwater Marshes/Pools (under 8ha)
- 5.10 Wetlands (inland) - Tundra Wetlands (incl. pools and temporary waters from snowmelt)
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 15 Artificial/Aquatic & Marine
- 15.1 Artificial/Aquatic - Water Storage Areas (over 8ha)
- 15.2 Artificial/Aquatic - Ponds (below 8ha)
- 15.8 Artificial/Aquatic - Seasonally Flooded Agricultural Land [more info]
- Breeding Habitat : Wetland-open water
- Clutch Size: 4
- Length of Incubation : 18-20 days
- Days to Fledge : 19-20
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Beddard, 1898
- Infraorder: Scolopacides () - Strauch, 1978
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Gallinago gallinago (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Jul-2007
American Woodcock, Long-Billed Dowitcher, Short-Billed Dowitcher
Members of the genus Gallinago
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 27 species and subspecies in this genus:
(Puna Snipe) · (Wilson's Snipe) · (Common Snipe) · (Common Snipe) · G. gallinago faroeensis (Common Snipe) · (Common Snipe) · G. gallinago possibly faeroeensis (Common Snipe) · (Latham's Snipe) · (Imperial Snipe) · (Andean Snipe) · (Madagascar Snipe) · (Great Snipe) · (Swinhoe's Snipe) · (Wood Snipe) · (African Snipe) · (Ethiopian Snipe) · (Noble Snipe) · (South American Snipe) · (South American Snipe (Magellanic)) · (South American Snipe (South American)) · (Solitary Snipe) · (Eastern Solitary Snipe) · (Pin-Tailed Snipe) · (Fuegian Snipe) · (Giant Snipe) · (Giant Snipe) · (Giant Snipe)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 343, p. 452, p. 457, p. 459, p. 475, p. 478, p. 538, p. 539, p. 549, p. 595, p. 682.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 10.
- A concise handbook of British birds / H. Kirke Swann. London: J. Wheldon, 1896. url p. 177.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 48.
- A hand-book to the birds of Great Britain / by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 215.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 189.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 821.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 73.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 212, p. 389.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 16.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott company, 1896. url p. 150.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 150.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 145, p. 145, p. 146, p. 146.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 145, p. 146.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url p. 121.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 121.
- A manual of the game birds of India. .. Bombay, Pub. for the Author by Messrs A.J. Combridge & Co., 1898-99. url p. 455, p. 455.
- A naturalist in Western China: with vasculum, camera, and gun, being some account of eleven year's travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the flowery kingdom; with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent. London, Methuen url p. 132.
- A naturalist in western China, with vasculum, camera, and gun; being some account of eleven years' travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the Flowery kingdom, by Ernest Henry Wilson...with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent...With one hundred and one full-page illustrations and a map. London, Methuen & co., ltd. url p. 132.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 44.
- A supplementary list of the marine fishes of India: with descriptions of 2 new genera and 8 new species / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1897. url p. 575.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 127, p. 164, p. 172, p. 18, p. 20, p. 20, p. 21, p. 23, p. 24, p. 26, p. 28, p. 31, p. 40, p. 40, p. 41, p. 43.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 215.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 105, p. 121, p. 30, p. 42, p. 67, p. 96.
- Biodiversity trends and threats in Europe: development and test of a species trend indicator RIVM, UNEP-WCMC url p. 45, p. 46, p. 66.
- Birds II. Stockholm, Almqvist & Wiksells, 1916. url .
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 267, p. 398, p. xiii.
- Birds of Calayan and Fuga, Babuyan group. Manila, 1904. url p. 13.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 330, p. 334, p. 342.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url , .
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 287.
- Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais. Lisboa, Sociedade Portuguesa de Cie?ncias Naturais, 1908- url p. 210.
- Breeding-bird populations in the jack pine and mixed jack pine/deciduous stands in central Ontario / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, c1995. url p. 18.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 47.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 100, p. 110, p. 113, p. 114, p. 126, p. 134, p. 161, p. 165, p. 168, p. 170, p. 316, p. 337, p. 588, p. 75, p. 77, p. 78, p. 79, p. 80, p. 850, p. 98, p. 99.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 141.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 236.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , , , , p. 103, p. 110, p. 110, p. 149, p. 52, p. 70, p. 71, p. 88, p. 94.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 259, p. 259, p. 272, p. 272, p. 387.
- Bulletin of the Philippine Museum. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing. url p. 13, p. 15, p. 7.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 123, p. 219.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 163.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 146.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 616, p. 633, p. 636, p. 653.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 357, p. 61.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 357, p. 61.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 354.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 200, p. 373, p. 667.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American Ornithologists' Union. New York, American Ornithologists' Union, 1910. url p. 110, p. 110.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 204, p. 832.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 143, p. 144, p. 239.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 265, p. 265.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 115, p. 12, p. 127, p. 171, p. 217, p. 242, p. 245, p. 247, p. 250, p. 282, p. 288, p. 290, p. 292, p. 298, p. 405, p. 448, p. 464, p. 506, p. 510, p. 582, p. 597, p. 613, p. 638, p. 685, p. 692, p. 750, p. 767.
- Distribution and migration of North American shorebirds / Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Biological Survey, 1910. url .
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 37.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 50.
- Guide to the birds of the Caucasus. Tiflis, 1907. url p. 92.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History) LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees url p. 40.
- Hand-book to the birds of Great Britain. London, Allen, 1894-97. url p. 215, p. 215.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With full-page plates in colors and black and white by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and text-cuts by Tappan Adney and Ernest Thompson Seton. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url p. 247.
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 93.
- How to know the shore birds (Limicolæ) of North America (south of Greenland and Alaska) all the species being grouped according to size and color. By Charles B. Cory. .. Boston: For sale by Little, Brown & Co., 1897. url p. 40.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , p. 183, p. 191, p. 202, p. 206, p. 218, p. 224, p. 246, p. 257, p. 262, p. 269, p. 28, p. 322, p. 361, p. 365, p. 366, p. 408, p. 423, p. 443, p. 463, p. 467, p. 514, p. 519, p. 522, p. 531, p. 536, p. 59, p. 659, p. 684, p. 708, p. 72, p. 728, p. 74, p. 762.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 74.
- Index-catalogue of the birds in the Hancock collection. [Newcastle-upon-Tyne]Printed for the Natural History Society, 1899. url p. 77.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 102, p. 102, p. 26, p. 31, p. 77, p. 93.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 69.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 886.
- MAB Biosphere Reserves: Site Descriptions, post compilation 5 (October 1990) UNESCO MAB Programme url .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 175.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 40 1911 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 148.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url fig. 2, page 10, figs. 14-15, page 21, fig. 16, page 22, p. 270, p. 49.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 268.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 268.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753, p. 753.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 454.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / Columbus [Ohio]: Hann & Adair, 1889. url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 75.
- North American shore birds; a history of the snipes, sandpipers, plovers and their allies, inhabiting the beaches and marshes of the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the prairies and the shores of the inland lakes and rivers of the New York: F.P. Harper, 1895. url p. 231.
- Notes on the birds of Kent / by R.J. Balston, C.W. Shepherd, and E. Bartlett. London: R.H. Porter, 1907. url p. 395, p. 459.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology. London, U.K.: International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature, c/o Natural History Museum, 2001. url p. 98.
- On safari: big game hunting in British East Africa, with studies in bird-life / by Abel Chapman. .. with 170 illustrations by the author and E. Caldwell, sketch-maps and photographs. London: Edward Arnold, 1908. url p. 310.
- Oologia neerlandica: eggs of birds breeding in the Netherlands / by A.A. van Pelt Lechner. The Hague: Nijhoff, 1910-1913 [i.e. 1911-1913]. url , , , , .
- Ornithological gazetteer of Argentina / Raymond A. Paynter. 1995 Cambridge, Mass.: Obtainable from Bird Dept., Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1995. url p. 968.
- Our feathered game; a handbook of the North American game birds, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1911. url .
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 62.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by Susan Lenard. .. [et al.]. Helena: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2003. url p. 3.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 76.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url .
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 316, p. 387.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url , p. 108, p. 14, p. 14.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 10 1887 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 128, p. 153, p. 279, p. 612, p. 660.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1032, p. 1040, p. 1040, p. 174, p. 499, p. 499.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 139, p. 193.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 177.
- Report upon natural history collections made in Alaska between the years 1877 and 1881 Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1887. url .
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 332, p. 332.
- Results of the Swedish zoological expedition to Egypt and the White Nile, 1901, under the direction of L.A. Jägerskiöld. [Uppsala]Library of the Royal University of Uppsala[1904-11] url p. 16.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 336, p. 58, p. 97.
- Sketch-book of British birds / by R. Bowdler Sharpe; with coloured illustrations by A.F. and C. Lydon. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1898. url , p. 248.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 144 1962 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 43.
- Some Chinese vertebrates. .. With six plates. Cambridge, U.S.A., Printed for the Museum, 1912. url p. 148.
- Spixiana. 8 1985 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 196.
- Sport on the Nilgiris and in Wynaad. London, Macmillan, 1911. url p. 408.
- Studies in bird migration, London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url , , , , , .
- Studies in bird migration, by William Eagle Clarke. .. with maps, weather charts, and other illustrations. .. London, Gurney and Jackson; [etc., etc.]1912. url p. 169, p. 232, p. 260, p. 281, p. 300, p. 321, p. 334, p. 54, p. 65.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 16.
- Territory in bird life / by H. Eliot Howard; with illustrations by G.E. Lodge, and H. Grönvold. London: Murray, 1920. url .
- Territory in bird life. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 51.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 82, p. 91.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 106, p. 181, p. 210, p. 326, p. 363.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 140.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 13, p. 169, p. 192, p. 385, p. 423, p. 426, p. 434, p. 487, p. 492, p. 518, p. 555, p. 573, p. 601, p. 602, p. 604, p. 666, p. 678, p. 691, p. 695, p. 695, p. 726, p. 736, p. 741, p. 746, p. 770, p. 87.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 97.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 52 1992 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 182, p. 480, p. 517, p. 521, p. 650, p. 652.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 463.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 45.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 548, p. 666, p. 729.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 55, p. 65.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url , p. 236.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3127.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 148, p. 158, p. 159, p. 167.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 19, p. 239, p. 371, p. 386, p. 405, p. 455.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 110.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 341, p. 6.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 75.
- The avifauna of Mt. Kitanglad, Bukidnon Province, Mindanao, Philippines / A. Townsend Peterson, . .. [et al]. 2008 Chicago, Ill: Field Museum of Natural History, June 14, 2008. url p. 9.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 140.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / by A. H. Evans. Cambridge: University Press, 1916. url p. 266.
- The birds of Greenland. Boston, Little, Brown and Company[c1891] url , p. 54.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , .
- The birds of Tunisia; being a history of the birds found in the regency of Tunis. By J. I. S. Whitaker. London, R.H. Porter, 1905. url p. 314.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. by Charles B. Cory. .. Chicago, Special edition printed for the Field Columbian museum, 1899. url p. 344.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 147, p. 147, p. 147.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 97.
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 68.
- The game birds and wild fowl of the British Islands. Sheffield, Pawson & Brailsford, 1900. url .
- The game-birds of India, Burma and Ceylon. London, Bombay Natural History Society, 1921-30. url , p. 54, p. 78, p. 79, p. 89.
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 485.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 103, p. 506.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 567, p. 575.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 56.
- The natural history of Sokotra and Abdel-Kuri: being the report upon the results of the Conjoint Expedition to these Islands in 1898-9, by Mr. W.R. Ogilvie-Grant. .. and Dr. H.O. Forbes. .. / edited by Henry O. Forbes. Liverpool: The Free Public Museums, Henry Young and Sons, 1903. url p. 54.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 219.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 36.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill.: H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 36.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 135.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 15.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 110.
- The vertebrate fauna of Cheshire and Liverpool Bay / London: Witherby, 1910. url p. 393.
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 586.
- The water-fowl family, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1903. url , p. 586, p. 586, p. 586.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 349.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 18 1975 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 51, p. 67.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 822.
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url .
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 150, p. 36.
- Wissenschaftliche ergebnisse der Deutschen Zentral-Africa-Expedition, 1907-1908: unter Führung Adolf Friedrichs, herzogs zu Mecklenburg. Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1910- url p. 247.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url p. 13, p. 422, p. 9.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 348.
- BirdLife International 2009. Gallinago gallinago. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Western Palearctic migrants in continental Africa
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Herts Bird Club - Hertfordshire Breeding Bird Atlas : 1988-1992
- UK National Biodiversity Network, RSPB - Wader breeding survey in the Broads ESA in 1995
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8097
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176700
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481042
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176700
- IUCN ID: 210441
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 6813
- Standard Deviation = 247.290 based on 20,000 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Gallinago gallinago. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]