Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Common Names in Albanian:
Shapka E Madhe E Ujit
Common Names in Armenian:
Common Names in Asturian:
Common Names in Basque:
Common Names in Breton:
Ar Gioc'h Lost Gwenn
Common Names in Catalan:
Becadell Gros, Cegall Reial
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
double snipe, Great Snipe, Solitary Snipe
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Estonian:
Common Names in Faroese:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
B?cassine double, Bécassine double
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Irish:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Yo-Roppajishigi, Yoaroppajishigi, ヨーロッパジシギ
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Maltese:
Bekkacc Ta' Mejju
Common Names in Manx:
Coar Heddagh Vooar
Common Names in Northern Sami:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
(Bekas) Dubelt, Dubelt
Common Names in Portuguese:
Narceja Real, Narceja-Real
Common Names in Romansh:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swahili:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Welsh:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
Behaviour This species is migratory5. It
from mid-May to early-July and nests
it has a polygamous mating system5. Males form
after sunset5 from May to July, each lek holding
5-30 males11. The departure from the breeding grounds
occurs from early-August onwards, with the species arriving on its
just after the rainy season5.
It is generally solitary on migration although groups of up to 10
have been recorded10. On the non-breeding grounds
it is also predominantly solitary but sometimes occurs in small scattered
flocks10. It usually forages
singly or in small
groups5. The return northward migration occurs
on a broad front across Africa between March and April5.
The southern breeding birds go directly to their breeding grounds,
while the northern breeding birds probably use more southern roosting
sites while waiting for the breeding areas to become available in
early June. Habitat
Breeding Nesting habitats include
flood-plain and tussock
meadows, natural fens
with scattered bushes
and peatlands up to 1,200 m1 in lowland interior
taiga and wooded tundra10. In the Scandinavian
mountains it breeds along the tree
. It shows a preference for
habitats rich in sub-surface invertebrates
and medium density
for nesting, often in wide river
Although generally associated with moist to wet terrain, it is tolerant
of wooded, and occasionally well-drained sites that adjoin bogs
marshes10. A considerable area of marshy
may be essential for display purposes10. Many sites
wth willow Salix, alder Alnus and Birch
Betula growing as scrub or woodland, or burnt areas in course
of regrowth10. It favours areas where the ground
is covered with mosses, lichens and dead and decaying leaves11.
are often found around springs
, or even in wheatfields10.
Non-breeding On migration it occurs in drier meadows but also
on sedge marshes with G. gallinago. It gathers on wet
high-plateau grasslands in Ethiopia1 before these
dry out in October, after which it follows the rains south and west5.
During the winter it frequents wetland areas, including marshlands
and short grass
or sedges on lake
or in flooded fields5.
It is also found in drier habitats such as moorland, sand
tracks in wooded areas, in plough furrows
and occasionally at puddles
on dirt roads or in old cultivation10. Diet
Its diet consists predominantly of earthworms as well as gastropods
and larval terrestrial
insects (beetles, tipulids), and the
seeds of marsh
plants5. Breeding site The
nest is a shallow depression
with a slight lining
of grass or moss10.
It is situated on the ground or on grassy tussocks in swamps11.
It is often completely concealed in thick vegetation5
but may be fairly exposed11. .
List of Habitats:
- 2 Savanna
- 2.1 Savanna - Dry
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 4 Grassland
- 4.2 Grassland - Subarctic
- 4.6 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical Seasonally Wet/Flooded
- 4.7 Grassland - Subtropical/Tropical High Altitude
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs, Marshes, Swamps , Fens, Peatlands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Huxley, 1867
- Beddard, 1898
- Strauch, 1978
- Superfamily: Scolopacoidea () - Vigors, 1825
- Parvorder: Scolopacida ()
- Infraorder: Scolopacides () - Strauch, 1978
- Suborder: Limicolae () - Beddard, 1898
- Order: Charadriiformes () - Huxley, 1867
- Superorder: Charadriimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Gallinago media (Latham, 1787)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Gallinago
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 21 species and subspecies in this genus:
G. andina (Puna Snipe) · G. delicata (Wilson's Snipe) · G. gallinago (Wilson's Snipe) · G. gallinago faroeensis (Common Snipe) · G. hardwickii (Australian Snipe) · G. imperialis (Imperial Snipe) · G. jamesoni (Jameson's Snipe) · G. macrodactyla (Madagascar Snipe) · G. media (Solitary Snipe) · G. megala (SwinhoeÌs Snipe) · G. nemoricola (Himalayan Snipe) · G. nigripennis (Ethiopian Snipe) · G. nigripennis nigripennis (Ethiopian Snipe) · G. nobilis (Noble Snipe) · G. paraguaiae (South American Snipe) · G. solitaria (Solitary Snipe) · G. solitaria solitaria (Eastern Solitary Snipe) · G. stenura (Pin-Tailed Snipe) · G. stricklandii (Strickland's Snipe) · G. undulata (Giant Snipe) · G. undulata undulata (Giant Snipe)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of British birds / London: John Van Voorst, 1883. url .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 37.
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. Topeka, Kansas Pub. House, 1883. url .
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 100, p. 7.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 883.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 883, p. 883.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 189.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url p. 199.
- A handbook of British birds: showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants / by J. E. Harting. London: J. van Voorst, 1872. url , , p. 51.
- A handbook to the birds of Egypt, by G.E. Shelley. London: John Van Voorst, 1872. url p. 249.
- A handbook to the vertebrate fauna of north Wales. London, Witherby & Co., 1919. url p. 63.
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 237.
- A history of British birds. By the Rev. F.O. Morris. .. 6 1862 London, Groombridge and Sons, [1862?-1867?] url p. 14.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url .
- A history of birds, by W. P. Pycraft, with an introd. by Ray Lankester. London, Methuen and Co. url p. 170.
- A history of the birds of Ceylon / London: Published by the author, 1880 [i.e. 1878-1880] url p. 821.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 268, p. 631, p. 641.
- A list of British birds / compiled by a committee of the British Ornithologists' Union. London: J. van Voorst, 1883. url p. 166.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 213, p. 389.
- A natural history of the nests and eggs of British birds. By the Rev. F.O. Morris. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1892. url p. 36.
- A synoptical catalogue of British birds; intended to identify the species mentioned by different names in several catalogues already extant. Forming a book of reference to Observations on British ornithology. By Thomas Forster. London, Printed by and for Nichols, son, and Bentley, 1817. url p. 57.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 21.
- An environmental profile of the Black Sea Coast WCMC url p. 102.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista and Orcella / London: B. Quaritch, 1878. url .
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 361.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 198, p. 237, p. 239, p. 256, p. 297.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 113, p. 159, p. 161, p. 167, p. 169, p. 44, p. 67, p. 75, p. 99.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 848, p. 849, p. 851, p. 853, p. 854, p. 855, p. 857, p. 858, p. 860, p. 861, p. 866.
- Catalogue of British Birds in the Collection of the British Museum / by G.R. Gray. London, 1863. url p. 9.
- Catalogue of British birds in the collection of the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1863. url .
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from British East Africa, by Ned Dearborn. .. 1 1909 Chicago, 1909. url p. 148.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 146, p. 147.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 579.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 579.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 626, p. 636.
- Catalogue of the birds of Suffolk, with an introduction and remarks on their distribution. London, J. Van Voorst, 1884-86. url p. 148.
- Catalogue of the specimens and drawings of mammalia and birds of Nepal and Thibet. Presented by B.H. Hodgson to the British Museum. London, By order of the Trustees, 1846. url p. 141.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 205, p. 782.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 100.
- Contents and index to volume 1 / Charles B. Cory. 1 1917 Chicago: Natural History Museum, 1917. url p. 354.
- Contributions to the knowledge of the East African ornithology. Birds collected by the Swedish Mount Elgon Expedition 1920. Lund, C. Blom, 1923. url p. 272.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 167, p. 233.
- Cruise of the revenue steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N. W. Arctic ocean in 1881. .. Notes and memoranda. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1883. url p. 85, p. 85.
- Cruise of the revenue-steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N.W. Arctic Ocean in 1881: notes and memoranda: medical and anthropological, botanical, ornithological. Washington: G.P.O., 1883. url p. 85.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 594, p. 599, p. 600, p. 606, p. 767.
- Distribution and migration of North American shorebirds / Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Biological Survey, 1910. url .
- Egyptian birds for the most part seen in the Nile valley, London, A. and C. Black, 1909. url .
- Egyptian birds: for the most part seen in the Nile Valley / by Charles Whymper. London: A. and C. Black, 1909. url p. 213.
- Fur and feather in North China. Tientsin, The Tientsin Press, Limited, 1914. url , , , , , p. 125.
- Geographical distribution of animals: with a study of the relations of living and extinct faunas as elucidating the past changes of the earth's surface. London, Macmillan, 1876. url p. 199.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 288.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll. Cairo, Government Press, 1919. url p. 93.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1020, p. 253.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 11, p. 182, p. 206, p. 222, p. 232, p. 27, p. 282, p. 287, p. 294, p. 3, p. 311, p. 322, p. 327, p. 331, p. 340, p. 4, p. 438, p. 443, p. 459, p. 505, p. 511, p. 514, p. 526, p. 61, p. 62, p. 709, p. 731, p. 74, p. 79, p. 807.
- Illustrations of British ornithology. By Prideaux John Selby. [Dublin], Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green and Longman, London; and1833. url p. 121, p. 121.
- Illustrations of the nests and eggs of birds of Ohio: with text / 1 1886 Circleville, Ohio, U.S.A.: [s.n.], 1886 url p. xxii.
- In wildest Africa / by C.G. Schillings; translated from German By Frederic Whyte; with over 300 photographic studies direct from the author's negatives, taken by day and night; and other illustrations. New York: Harper, 1907. url p. 333, p. 333.
- In wildest Africa, by C.G. Schillings, Tr. by Frederic Whyte. With over 300 photographic studies direct from the author's negatives, taken by day and night; and other illustrations. London: Harper & brothers, 1907. url p. 333.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 886.
- Leach's Systematic catalogue of the specimens of the indigenous mammalia and birds in the British Museum. Ed. by Osbert Salvin. London: [Printed by R. and A. Taylor], 1882. url p. 31.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 450.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British Museum / [edited by J.E. Gray] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1852- url p. 49.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society1879. url p. 455.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 175.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 192, p. 192, p. 213.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 3 1968 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 49.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 289.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 753, p. 753.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , , .
- O'er crag and torrent with rod and gun: shooting and fishing. London: Everett, 1904. url p. 156.
- On the distribution of birds in Great Britain, during the nesting season / Alexander G. More. [London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1865]. url p. 64.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 117, p. 118, p. 119, p. 428, p. 98, p. 99.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 849, p. 851, p. 853, p. 854, p. 855, p. 857, p. 858, p. 859, p. 861, p. 866, p. 871.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 143.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 150, p. 96.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 657.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 25, p. 49.
- Proceedings of the Committee of Science and Correspondence of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Printed for the Society by Richard Taylor, [1831-1832] url p. 163, p. 163, p. 212, p. 212.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 164.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url , .
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 199, p. 35, p. 839.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1069, p. 1069, p. 160, p. 210, p. 210, p. 365, p. 407, p. 62, p. 62, p. 8, p. 8, p. 999.
- Rambles of a naturalist in Egypt & other countries. With an analysis of the claims of certain foreign birds to be considered British, and other ornithological notes. London, Jarrold[1876?] url , p. 188.
- Remarks on the Ornithology of Northern Norway / by Robert Collett. Christiania: [s.n.], 1872. url p. 73.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 22 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 199, p. 221.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url , .
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 227, p. 227.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 66.
- Sport with gun and rod in American woods and waters edited by Alfred M. Mayer. New York: Century, c1883. url , .
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 316, p. 339, p. 364, p. 366.
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 213.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 51.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 392, p. 405.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 140.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 136, p. 179, p. 191, p. 209, p. 209, p. 210, p. 241, p. 316, p. 364, p. 366, p. 384, p. 394.
- The Bermuda Islands: a contribution to the physical history and zoology of the Somers archipelago. With an examination of the structure of coral reefs. Researches undertaken under the auspices of the Academy of natural sc Philadelphia, The author, 1889. url p. 81.
- The Bermuda islands: a contribution to the physical history and zoology of the Somers archipelago. With an examination of the structure of coral reefs. Researches undertaken under the auspices of the Academy of natural Philadelphia, The Author, 1889. url .
- The Bulletin of zoological nomenclature. London, International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 93.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 143.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 385.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 666, p. 868.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 62.
- The Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union. Pretoria. url p. 107, p. 143, p. 205, p. 21, p. 31.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 143, p. 419.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 688.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 102, p. 127.
- The animal food resources of different nations, with mention of some of the special dainties of various people derived from the animal kingdom. London, E. & F.N. Spon, 1885. url , .
- The animal kingdom arranged in conformity with its organization. London: Whittaker, 1827. url p. 77.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 143.
- The birds of Breconshire / by E. Cambridge Phillips. .. Brecon [Eng.]: E. Davies, 1899. url p. 94.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Dorsetshire; a contribution to the natural history of the county, by J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. .. London, R.H. Porter; [etc., etc., 1888?] url p. 90, p. 90.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , .
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url p. 412, p. 414.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc., / by C.J. Maynard... Newtonville, Mass.: C.J. Maynard & co., 1896. url p. 714.
- The birds of the Bermudas. By Savile G. Reid. Printed in "The Zoologist" for October and November, 1877, and now reprinted by permission. Hamilton, Bermuda, Printed at the Royal Gazette Office, 1883. url p. 30.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 232.
- The game birds of California / Berkeley: University of California Press, 1918. url .
- The game birds of California. .. by Joseph Grinnell, Harold Child Bryant and Tracy Irwin Storer. 1918 Berkeley, University of California Press, 1918. url p. 350.
- The game-birds & water-fowl of South Africa, by Major Boyd Horsbrugh...With coloured plates by Sergeant C. G. Davies. London, Witherby & co., 1912. url , p. 31, p. 33.
- The game-birds of India, Burma and Ceylon. London, Bombay Natural History Society, 1921-30. url p. 326, p. 34, p. 80, p. 81, p. 83, p. 85.
- The geographical and geological distribution of animals / New York: D. Appleton, 1901, c1886. url .
- The geographical distribution of animals: with a study of the relations of living and extinct faunas as elucidating the past changes of the earth's surface / by Alfred Russel Wallace; in two volumes; with maps and illustrations. New York: Harper and Brothers, Publishers, 1876. url p. 199.
- The geographical distribution of the family Charadriidae, or the plovers, sandpipers, snipes, and their allies / London; H. Sotheran & Co.,  url p. 482.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 644.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 219.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 46.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S.A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill.: H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 37.
- The ornithology of the Straits of Gibraltar. By Lieut.-Colonel L. Howard L. Irby. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1875. url p. 175.
- Types of birds in the Tring Museum. n. p., 1922? url .
- Wissenschaftliche ergebnisse der Deutschen Zentral-Africa-Expedition, 1907-1908: unter Führung Adolf Friedrichs, herzogs zu Mecklenburg. Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1910- url p. 246.
- With flashlight and rifle: a record of hunting adventures and of studies in wild life in equatorial East Africa / by C. G. Schillings; translated by Frederic Whyte; with an introduction by Sir H. H. Johnston. London: Hutchinson and Co., 1906. url p. 753.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 11, p. 183, p. 215, p. 3249, p. 375, p. 4600.
- BirdLife International 2008. Gallinago media. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- BeBIF Provider, Royal Museum of Central Africa - Albertian Rift Birds
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Sweden, Bird Ringing Centre in Sweden
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- University of Gdansk, Bird Migration Research Station, Ringing Data from the Bird Migration Research Station, University of Gdańsk
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8095
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-176704
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 176704
- IUCN ID: 210446
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 5318
- Mean = 28.810 meters (94.521 feet), Standard Deviation = 45.610 based on 130,601 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2008. Gallinago media. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]