Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Klein Fregatvo, Kleinfregatvoël
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
least frigatebird, Lesser Frigate Bird, lesser frigatebird
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Fr?gate ariel, Fr, Frégate ariel
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hawaiian:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Indonesian:
Burung Cikalang Kecil
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Malagasy:
Common Names in Malay:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Palauan:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Portuguese (Brazil):
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Fragata Peque, Rabihorcado Chico
Common Names in Swahili:
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult Female: Head : black Face : Eye Ring: black Bill: grayish to pinkish Neck: Foreneck: black Nape: white collar Throat : black Throat Pouch: red Body: Back: black with metallic green and purple gloss Mantle: black with metallic green and purple gloss Upperparts: black Legs : Foot Color: pink or red Leg Color: pink or red Tail: Undertail Coverts: black.Adult Male: Head: black with metallic green and purple gloss Face: Eye Ring: black Bill: grayish black Neck: Throat Pouch: red Body: Back: black with metallic green and purple gloss Mantle: black with metallic green and purple gloss Upperparts: black Legs: Foot Color: reddish brown to black Leg Color: reddish brown to black.
About 28 to 32 inches long, with a wingspan of 69 to 76 inches. Adults weigh about 27.2 ounces .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, pelagic waters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: High
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 29 meters (94 feet).
The Lesser Frigatebird breeds
on small, remote
islands, in mangroves
or bushes, and even on bare ground
. It feeds
mainly on fish (especially flying-fish) and squid, but also on seabird
and chicks, carrion
and fish scraps1. Kleptoparasitic
behaviour is observed in this species; however it is unlikely to
be a major chick-provisioning resource2.
List of Habitats :
- 1 Forest
- 1.7 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Mangrove Vegetation Above High Tide Level
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.5 Shrubland - Subtropical/Tropical Dry
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Huxley, 1867
- Sharpe, 1891
- Suborder: Steganopodes () - Chandler, 1916
- Order: Pelecaniformes () - Sharpe, 1891
- Superorder: Pelecanimorphae () - Huxley, 1867
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Fregata ariel (Gray, 1845)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Fregata
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 14 species and subspecies in this genus:
F. andrewsi (Andrews' Frigatebird) · F. aquila (Ascension Island Frigatebird) · F. ariel (Lesser Frigate Bird) · F. ariel ariel (Lesser Frigate Bird) · F. ariel iredalei (Mascarene Least Frigatebird) · F. magnificens (Magnificent Frigate Bird) · F. magnificens magnificens (Magnificent Frigatebird) · F. magnificens rothschildi (Magnificent Frigatebird) · F. minor (North Pacific Man-O-War-Bird) · F. minor aldabrensis (Aldabra Frigatebird) · F. minor minor (North Pacific Man-O-War-Bird) · F. minor nicolli (Nicoll's Frigate-Bird) · F. minor palmerstoni (Great Frigatebird) · F. minor ridgewayi (Great Frigatebird)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A hand-list of the birds of the Malay Peninsula, south of the Isthmus of Kra. By Herbert C. Robinson. .. Kuala LumpurF. M. S. government printing office, 1910. url p. 5.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 100.
- A manual of Philippine birds / by Richard C. McGregor. Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 207, p. 207.
- A manual of Philippine birds, by Richard C. McGregor. .. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1909. url p. 207.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url p. 60.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 60.
- A monograph of Christmas Island (Indian Ocean) / physical features and geology by Charles W. Andrews; with descriptions of the fauna and flora by numerous contributors. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1900. url p. 44.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 358, p. 76, p. 81, p. 84, p. 86, p. 93, p. 96, p. 99.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 117, p. 119, p. 120, p. 121, p. 187, p. 210, p. 217, p. 53, p. 68.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 338.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url .
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1967 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 90.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 206, p. 245.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url p. 152, p. 93.
- Bulletin of the Philippine Museum. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing. url p. 10, p. 15.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 161.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 448, p. 656.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 213.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 213.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 25, p. 42.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 162, p. 97.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 207.
- Coral Reefs of the World. url p. 122, p. 166, p. 185, p. 193, p. 270.
- Coral and atolls: a history and description of the Keeling-Cocos Islands, with an account of their fauna and flora, and a discussion of the method of development and transformation of coral structures By F. Wood-Jones... London, Lovell Reeve & Co., Ltd., 1912. url , , p. 343.
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1020, p. 549, p. 553, p. 556.
- IUCN Directory of Protected Areas in Oceania IUCN url p. 104, p. 109, p. 111, p. 112, p. 117, p. 14, p. 269, p. 440.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 106, p. 173, p. 214, p. 215, p. 266, p. 33, p. 418, p. 64, p. 672, p. 673, p. 773, p. 790.
- Index faunæ Novæ Zealandiæ, ed. by F.W. Hutton, F.R.S. Pub. for the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury, New Zealand. London, Dulau & Co., 1904. url p. 38.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 63.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States Museums. Kuala Lumpur: the Museums, 1905-1936. url , , p. 267.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 175.
- Nests and eggs of birds found breeding in Australia and Tasmania, by Alfred J. North... Sydney: Australian Museum, 1901-1914 url p. 353.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 25, p. 25.
- Occasional papers. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press. url p. 25.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. I 1936 New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 176, p. 923.
- Oil spill sensitivity of the western Indian Ocean islands: coastal data from the Comoros Islands, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles WCMC url p. 65, p. 67, p. 70, p. 76, p. 88.
- Postilla. 1987 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 4.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 672.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 10, p. 111, p. 114, p. 16, p. 20, p. 36, p. 516, p. 519, p. 592.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 470.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 71, p. 79, p. 80, p. 81, p. 93, p. 96, p. 99.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 30.
- Results of the first Joint US-USSR Central Pacific Expedition (BERPAC): Autumn 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 144, p. 255.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 47.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url , , , p. 113, p. 290.
- Supplement to the 'Birds of New Zealand' / II 1905 London: The author, 1905. url p. 52.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 7.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 259, p. 346.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url p. 307, p. 39.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 83.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 103.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url , p. 100, p. 118, p. 119, p. 131, p. 149, p. 185, p. 204, p. 215, p. 222.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 13.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 84.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 3126.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 70.
- The Philippine journal of science. 16 1920 Manila. url p. 362, p. 386, p. 455, p. 656.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 63.
- The birds of Australia, London [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs Limited, 1911. url , .
- The confessions of a beachcomber; scenes and incidents in the career of an unprofessional beachcomber in tropical Queensland. London [etc.]: T. F. Unwin, 1908. url p. 98.
- The fauna and geography of the Maldive and Laccadive archipelagoes: being the account of the work carried on and of the collections made by an expedition during the years 1899 and 1900 / Ed. by J. Stanley Gardiner. Cambridge: University Press, 1903-06. url p. 369, p. 384.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url p. 84.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url , , , p. 219.
- Treaties and other international agreements on fisheries, oceanographic resources, and wildlife to which the United States is party / prepared at the request of Hon. Warren G. Magnuson for the use of the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, by the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 1974. url p. 821.
- Type-specimens of birds in the British Museum (Natural History) / by R.L.M. Warren & C.J.O. Harrison. London: BM(NH), 1966-1973. url p. 314.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 3 1951 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 346, p. 390, p. 640, p. 80, p. 81.
- BirdLife International 2009. Fregata ariel. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 01February2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 03, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: SEAMAP - marine mammals, birds and turtles
- OZCAM (Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums) Provider: Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8956
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174769
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2480765
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174769
- IUCN ID: 210034
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 852
- Standard Deviation = 44.370 based on 108,902 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2009. Fregata ariel. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 01 February 2012. [back]