Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hebrew:
Common Names in Italian:
Zigolo dal collare
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 176 meters (578 feet).
It breeds in wet meadows with tall vegetation and scattered
thickets and secondary scrub. It winters in large
flocks in cultivated areas, rice fields
and grasslands, preferring
scrubby dry-water rice fields for foraging
and reedbeds for roosting11.
List of Habitats :
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.3 Shrubland - Boreal
- 4 Grassland
- 4.4 Grassland - Temperate
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Members of the genus Emberiza
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 71 species and subspecies in this genus:
E. affinis (Brown-Rumped Bunting) · E. affinis affinis (Brown-Rumped Bunting) · E. aureola (Yellow-Breasted Bunting) · E. aureola aureola (Yellow-Breasted Bunting) · E. bruniceps (Red-Headed Bunting) · E. buchanani (Gray-Hooded Bunting) · E. buchanani buchanani (Grey-Necked Bunting) · E. cabanisi (Cabanis's Yellow Bunting) · E. cabanisi cabanisi (Cabanis's Yellow Bunting) · E. caesia (Cretzschmar's Bunting) · E. calandra (Corn Bunting) · E. calandra calandra (Corn Bunting) · E. capensis (Southern Rock Bunting) · E. capensis capensis (Southern Rock Bunting) · E. chrysophrys (Yellow-Browed Bunting) · E. cia (European Rock Bunting) · E. cia africana (Rock Bunting) · E. cia cia (Rock Bunting) · E. cia par (Asian Rock Bunting) · E. cia prageri (Central Rock Bunting) · E. cineracea (Ashy-Headed Bunting) · E. cineracea cineracea (Ashy-Headed Bunting) · E. cioides (Siberian Meadow Bunting) · E. cioides cioides (Siberian Meadow Bunting) · E. cirlus (Cirl Bunting) · E. cirlus cirlus (Cirl Bunting) · E. cirlus nigrostriata (Cirl Bunting) · E. citrinella (Yellow Bunting) · E. citrinella caliginosa (North-West British Isles Yellowhammer) · E. citrinella citrinella (Common Yellowhammer) · E. citrinella erythrogenys (Eastern Yellowhammer) · E. elegans (Yellow-Throated Bunting) · E. elegans elegans (Yellow-Throated Bunting) · E. flaviventris (African Golden-Breasted Bunting) · E. flaviventris flaviventris (African Golden-Breasted Bunting) · E. fucata (Chestnut-Eared Bunting) · E. fucata fucata (Chestnut-Eared Bunting) · E. godlewskii (Godlewski's Bunting) · E. godlewskii godlewskii (Godlewski's Bunting) · E. hortulana (Ortolan Bunting) · E. impetuani (Pale Rock Bunting) · E. jankowskii (Rufous-Backed Bunting) · E. koslowi (Koslov's Bunting) · E. leucocephala (Pine Bunting) · E. leucocephala leucocephala (Pine Bunting) · E. leucocephalos (Pine Bunting) · E. leucocephalos fronto (Pine Bunting) · E. leucocephalos leucocephalos (Pine Bunting) · E. melanocephala (Black-Headed Bunting) · E. pallasi (Pallas's Reed Hunting) · E. pallasi pallasi (Pallas's Reed Bunting) · E. poliopleura (Somali Golden-Breasted Bunting) · E. pusilla (Little Bunting) · E. rustica (Rustic Bunting) · E. rustica rustica (Rustic Bunting) · E. rutila (Chestnut Bunting) · E. schoeniclus (Common Reed Bunting) · E. schoeniclus schoeniclus (Common Reed-Bunting) · E. socotrana (Socotra Mountain Bunting) · E. spodocephala (Black-Faced Bunting) · E. spodocephala spodocephala (Black-Faced Bunting) · E. stewarti (Chestnut-Breasted Bunting) · E. striolata (Mountain Bunting) · E. striolata striolata (Striped Bunting) · E. sulphurata (Japanese Yellow Bunting) · E. tahapisi (Cinnamon-Breasted Rock Bunting) · E. tahapisi tahapisi (Cinnamon-Breasted Rock Bunting) · E. tristrami (Tristram's Bunting) · E. variabilis (Siberian Blue Robin) · E. yessoensis (Japanese Reed Bunting) · E. yessoensis yessoensis (Japanese Reed Bunting)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 24.
- A bird collector's medley / E.C. Arnold; with twelve coloured and eight collotype plates from drawings by the author, and various illustrations in the text. London [Eng.]: West Newman & Co., 1907. url p. 60.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 238.
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 326.
- A general synopsis of birds London: Printed for Leigh & Sotheby, 1783. url .
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 36.
- A geographical bibliography of British ornithology from the earliest time to the end of 1918, arranged under counties, being a record of printed books, published articles, notes and records relating to local avifauna, by W. H. Mullens, H. Kirke Swann, F. C. R. Jourdain. London, Witherby, 1920. url p. 217, p. 217.
- A guide to the birds of Nepal Christopher Helm (Publishers) Ltd. url p. 192, p. 374, p. 78.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 224, p. 23.
- A hand-list of the birds of Japan, by M. Ogawa. [Tokyo]1908. url p. 412.
- A hand-list of the birds of the Malay Peninsula, south of the Isthmus of Kra. By Herbert C. Robinson. .. Kuala LumpurF. M. S. government printing office, 1910. url p. 19.
- A handbook of European birds for the use of field naturalists and collectors. By James Backhouse. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1890. url p. 101.
- A handbook to the birds of British Bermah, including those found in the adjoining state of Karennee, by Eugene W. Oates. .. London, R.H. Porter, 1883. url .
- A history of British birds, with coloured illustrations of their eggs. By Henry Seebohm. .. London, Pub. for the author by R.H. Porter [etc.]1883-85. url p. 6.
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 164, p. 167.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url , , , p. 210, p. 218, p. 223, p. 225, p. 228, p. 259.
- A key to the birds of the lower Yangtse Valley, with popular descriptions of the species commonly seen. By N. Gist Gee. .. and Lacy I. Moffett. Shanghai, Shanghai Mercury Limited, Print., 1917. url p. 219.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url , p. 30.
- A list of European birds, including all those found in the western palaearctic area, with a supplement containing species said to have occurred, but which, for various reasons, are inadmissible. London, R.H. Porter, 1898. url p. 27.
- A list of European birds: including all species found in the western palaearctic region: the nomenclature carefully revised / by Henry E. Dresser. London: H.E. Dresser, 1881. url p. 17.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url , .
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London: Witherby, 1920-24. url p. 107, p. 107, p. 117, p. 117.
- A revised catalogue of the birds of China and its islands, with descriptions of new species, references to former notes, and occasional remarks. By Robert Swinhoe. London, 1871 url p. 51.
- A summer on the Yenesei (1914) London: E. Arnold, 1915. url p. 324.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 284.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista and Orcella / London: B. Quaritch, 1878. url .
- Birds II. Stockholm, Almqvist & Wiksells, 1916. url .
- Birds from Nepal [by] Austin L. Rand [and] Robert L. Fleming. 41 1957 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 210.
- Birds of Britain, by J. Lewis Bonhote. .. with 100 illustrations in colour selected by H.E. Dresser from his Birds of Europe.' London: A. and C. Black, 1907. url p. 147.
- Birds of Great Britain and Ireland. by Arthur G. Butler; illustrated by H. Gro?nvold and F.W. Frohawk. Hull; Brumby & Clarke, [1907?-1908?]. url p. 213.
- Birds of the Colorado valley. .. scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1878. url p. 615.
- Birds of the Kelley-Roosevelts expedition to French Indo-China, by Outram Bangs and Josselyn Van Tyne. 18 1931 Chicago, 1931. url p. 118.
- Birds. By Eugene W. Oates. London: Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.], 1889-98. url p. 250, p. 251, p. 259.
- Birds. London, Taylor and Francis, 1889-1898. url , .
- British birds. London, Witherby & Co. url p. 170, p. 170, p. 237, p. 263.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 248, p. 536, p. 551, p. 568, p. 586, p. 601.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 252.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , p. 102, p. 130, p. 155, p. 164, p. 30, p. 51.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 74 1933 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 161, p. 300, p. 300, p. 595, p. 628.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url p. 645.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 580.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 580.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 476, p. 509, p. 835.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 237.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 237.
- Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1855. url p. 79.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 720, p. 787.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 23, p. 24.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 10.
- Coloured figures of the eggs of British birds: with descriptive notices / by Henry Seebohm; edited (after the author's death) by R. Bowdler Sharpe. Sheffield: Pawson and Brailsford, 1896. url .
- Contributions to the ornithology of Siberia / by Henry Seebohm. S.l.: s.n., 1880? url p. 31, p. 88.
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url , p. 114.
- General zoology, or, Systematic natural history / London: Printed for G. Kearsley, 1800-1826. url p. 17, p. 363.
- Guide to the birds of Europe and North Africa. With a biographical memoir by William Eagle Clarke. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1923. url p. 35.
- Heligoland as an ornithological observatory; the result of fifty years' experience, Edinburgh, D. Douglas, 1895. url p. 116, p. 370, p. 375, p. 38, p. 426, p. 592.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , p. 13, p. 15, p. 154, p. 163, p. 164, p. 184, p. 188, p. 223, p. 224, p. 228, p. 241, p. 250, p. 266, p. 28, p. 295, p. 301, p. 305, p. 308, p. 334, p. 340, p. 354, p. 355, p. 367, p. 369, p. 37, p. 378, p. 379, p. 420, p. 428, p. 431, p. 435, p. 442, p. 442, p. 443, p. 457, p. 478, p. 484, p. 489, p. 499, p. 502, p. 503, p. 519, p. 531, p. 54, p. 546, p. 547, p. 55, p. 590, p. 6, p. 600, p. 62, p. 634, p. 635, p. 644, p. 650, p. 657, p. 658, p. 658, p. 665, p. 681, p. 682, p. 706, p. 71, p. 762, p. 893, p. 96, p. 984.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 329.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 124, p. 52.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 82.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 276.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 282.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 40 1911 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 194.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 231.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 39.
- Ootheca Wolleyana: an illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs, begun by the late John Wolley, jun.. .. and continued with additions, by the editor, Alfred Newton. .. London, sold by R. H. Porter, 1864-1907. url p. 459.
- Ornithologisches Centralblatt. Leipzig: L.A. Kittler, 1876-82. url p. 177.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 253, p. 253.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]: Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 164.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 294, p. 488, p. 608, p. 665.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url , p. 1038, p. 108, p. 231, p. 387, p. 466, p. 466, p. 574, p. 709, p. 755, p. 755.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 276.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 19 1878 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 488.
- Some Chinese vertebrates. .. With six plates. Cambridge, U.S.A., Printed for the Museum, 1912. url p. 194.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 15, p. 461, p. 51, p. 79, p. 80.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 234, p. 541, p. 67.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 271, p. 496.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , p. 286, p. 334, p. 404, p. 470, p. 48, p. 645.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 168.
- The Canadian journal of industry, science and art. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1856-1867. url p. 462.
- The Ibis. [London]: Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 163.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , p. 1205, p. 265, p. 538, p. 557, p. 734, p. 83, p. 961.
- The Journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [Bangkok, Thailand]: The Society, url p. 171.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 690.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 3.
- The avifauna of British India and its dependencies: a systematic account, with descriptions of all the known species of birds inhabiting British India, observations on their habits, nidification, &c., tables of their geographical distribution in Persia by James A. Murray. London: Trübner, 1888-1890. url p. 330.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url , .
- The birds of Siberia; a record of a naturalist's visits to the valley of the Petchora and Yenesei, London, J. Murray, 1901. url .
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 242 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 65 photograp London; F. Warne, 1919. url p. 370, p. 84.
- The birds of the Japanese Empire. London, R. H. Porter, 1890. url , , , , p. 10, p. 138, p. 8.
- The edible and game birds of British India, with its dependencies and Ceylon. With woodcuts, lithographs, and coloured illustrations, by James A. Murray. .. Bombay, Education Society's Press, 1889. url p. 6.
- The eggs of European birds / by Francis C.R. Jourdain. London: R.H. Porter, 1906. url , p. 103.
- The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. By Eugene W. Oates. London, Taylor and Francis; [etc., etc.]1889-98. url p. 250, p. 251, p. 259.
- The food of birds in India, by C.W. Mason, edited by H. Maxwell-Lefroy. Calcutta, Imperial Dept. of Agric. in India, 1911. url p. 129.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 398.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 241, p. 258, p. 263, p. 497.
- The journal of the Natural History Society of Siam. [London: Luzac, 1914]-1924. url .
- The migration of birds: an attempt to reduce avian season-flight to law / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1892. url p. 184, p. 214.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url p. 555.
- Travels of a naturalist in northern Europe, Norway, 1871, Archangel, 1872, Petchora, 1875, London, T. F. Unwin, 1905. url p. 187, p. 200, p. 206, p. 371, p. 524.
- Wild life in China; or, Chats on Chinese birds and beasts. Shanghai, "The National Review" Office, 1911. url .
- Wild life of the world: a descriptive survey of the geographical distribution of animals / London; F. Warne and co., 1916. url p. 429, p. 431.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 186, p. 7349.
- [Ornithological papers] 1876-84. url p. 188, p. 266, p. 340, p. 379.
- BirdLife International 2008. Emberiza aureola. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- GBIF-Sweden, Bird Ringing Centre in Sweden
- Israel Nature and Parks Authority, Israel Nature and Parks Authority
- National Chemical Laboratory, IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- National Science Museum of Korea, National Science Museum of Korea Bird
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 7244
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-554225
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 554225
- IUCN ID: 207217
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 150402
- Standard Deviation = 407.030 based on 102 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2008. Emberiza aureola. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]