Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Afrikaans:
Grootalbatros, Grootalbatros (-malmok), Grootmalmok
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Cape sheep, Cape Wandering Albatross, gony, leopard gony, Snowy Albatross, wandering albatross
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Icelandic:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Maori:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Albatroz, Albatroz-Gigante, Albatroz-Viageiro
Common Names in Portuguese (Brazil):
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Slovenian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Albatros Errante, Albatros Viajero
Common Names in Spanish (Argentine):
Common Names in Spanish (Chile):
Common Names in Spanish (Uruguay):
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
Adult : Bill: pink Size: huge Legs : Leg Color: pink.Adult Female: Head : Crown: brown Bill: pink Size: huge Legs: Leg Color: pink Wings : Secondaries: black tips.Adult Male: Bill: pink Size: huge Legs: Leg Color: pink Wings: Secondaries: black tips.Immature: Face : white Bill: whitish Size: huge Body: brown Legs: Leg Color: pink Wings: Undersides: shiny white.
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 29 meters (95 feet).
Behaviour Diomedea exulans is a biennial breeding species,
although about 30% of successful and 35% of failed breeders (on average)
defer breeding beyond the expected year. Adults
return to colonies
in November, and eggs
are laid over a period of 5 weeks during December
and January. Most eggs hatch
in March, and chicks fledge
Birds usually return to colonies when 5-7 years old, though can return
when as young as 3 years old. Birds can start breeding as young as
7 or 8 years old33. Wandering Albatross typically
waters, however considerable time is spent over
shelf areas during certain stages of the breeding season16.
tracking has revealed that juvenile
birds tend to forage
further north than adults17,25, bringing them into
greater overlap with longline tuna
which may be driving falls
in recruitment rates10. Females may also be at
greater risk of being caught in tuna fisheries since they tend to
forage further north than males18,23,24 and show
lower survival21. It is mostly a diurnal
taking most prey
by surface-seizing33. Habitat
Breeding Wandering Albatross nests
in open or patchy vegetation
near exposed ridges
or hillocks2. Diet Adults
mainly on cephalopods
and fish, often following ships
and feeding on offal
and galley refuse2,3. Patagonian
toothfish Dissostichus eleginoides is the primary
in the diet
, potentially obtained as discarded offal33.
This wide ranging species has a circumpolar
distribution, and both breeding and non-breeding birds have very
large foraging ranges. Satellite tracking data
indicate that breeding
birds forage at very long distances
from colonies (up to 4,000 km
and that foraging strategies change throughout the breeding season33.
List of Habitats:
- 4 Grassland
- 4.3 Grassland - Subantarctic
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.1 Marine Neritic - Pelagic
- 9.2 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Rock and Rocky Reefs
- 9.3 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Loose Rock/pebble/gravel
- 9.4 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy
- 9.5 Marine Neritic - Subtidal Sandy-Mud
- 9.7 Marine Neritic - Macroalgal/Kelp
- 9.9 Marine Neritic - Seagrass (Submerged)
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 10.2 Marine Oceanic - Mesopelagic (200-1000m) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Fürbringer, 1888
- (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Gadow, 1893
- Series: href="http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/title/493 ()
- Suborder: Procellarae () - Gadow, 1893
- Order: Procellariiformes () - (Fürbringer, 1888)
- Superorder: Procellariimorphae () - Fürbringer, 1888
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 13-Jun-2007
Members of the genus Diomedea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species and subspecies in this genus:
D. albatrus (Short-Tailed Albatross) · D. amsterdamensis (Amsterdam Island Albatross) · D. antipodensis (Antipodean Albatross) · D. bulleri (Buller's Albatross) · D. bulleri bulleri (Buller's Albatross) · D. cauta (White-Capped Albatross) · D. cauta cauta (Shy Albatross) · D. cauta salvini (Shy Albatross) · D. chlororhynchos (Yellow-Nosed Albatross) · D. chrysostoma (Flat-Billed Albatross) · D. dabbenena (Tristan Albatross) · D. epomophora (Northern Royal Albatross) · D. epomophora epomophora (Southern Royal Albatross) · D. exulans (Cape Wandering Albatross) · D. exulans exulans (Wandering Albatross) · D. gibsoni (Gibson's Albatross) · D. immutabilis (White Gooney Bird) · D. irrorata (Galapagos Albatross) · D. melanophris (Black-Browed Albatross) · D. melanophris impavida (Black-Browed Albatross) · D. melanophris melanophris (Black-Browed Albatross) · D. nigripes (Hawaiian Black-Footed Albatross) · D. palpebrata (Light-Mantled Albatross) · D. sanfordi (Northern Royal Albatross)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 102.
- A System of natural history: containing scientifci [sic] and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / chiefly compiled from the various works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history Boston: Carter, Hendee, & Co.; 1834. url p. 659.
- A birdlover's year. London: Nash, 1915. url p. 26.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 632.
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 6.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 6, p. 6.
- A familiar history of birds / Edward Stanley. London: J. W. Parker, 1848. url p. 82.
- A familiar history of birds, by the late Edward Stanley. London, J. W. Parker and son, 1857. url p. 412.
- A familiar history of birds. London, Parker, 1854. url p. 412.
- A handbook of the birds of Tasmania and its dependencies. Launceston, Tasmania, The author, 1910. url .
- A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory: including their organization, habits, and relations; remarks on classification and nomenclature; an account of the principal organs of birds, and observations relative to practical ornithology. .. By William Macgillivray. .. London, Printed for Scott, Webster, and Geary, 1837-1852 url p. 73.
- A history of birds / London: Methuen & Co.,  url .
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 90.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 425.
- A history of the birds of New Zealand / London: John van Voorst, 1873 url , p. 289, p. 292.
- A key to the birds of Australia: with their geographical distribution / by Robert Hall. London [England]: R. H. Porter, [1906?] url p. 95.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 398.
- A list of the birds of Australia: containing the names and synonyms connected with each genus, species, and subspecies of birds found in Australia, at present known to the author / London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 41.
- A list of the birds of Florida / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 2.
- A list of the birds of New England. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute Press, 1868. url .
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 6.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url , , .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 51, p. 593.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 51.
- A manual of palæarctic birds, by H. E. Dresser. London, The author, 1902-03. url p. 860.
- A manual of the birds of Australia / by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and. .. Tom Iredale; illus. with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. London: Witherby, 1921. url , , p. 54.
- A manual of the birds of Australia, by Gregory M. Mathews. .. and Tom Iredale. .. Illustrated with coloured and monochrome plates by Lilian Medland. Vol. I. Orders Casuarii to Columbæ. London, H.F. & G. Witherby, 1921. url p. 54.
- A manual of zoology / by T. Jeffrey Parker. New York: Macmillan, 1900. url p. 490.
- A manual of zoology / by the late T. Jeffery Parker and William A. Haswell. London: Macmillan & co., ltd.; 1899. url p. 485.
- A manual of zoology for the use of students: with a general introd. on the principles of zoology / by Henry Alleyne Nicholson. London: William Blackwood 8 Sons, 1887. url p. 445.
- A manual of zoology, London, Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1900. url .
- A monograph on the structure and development of the shoulder-girdle and sternum on the Vertebrata. By W. Kitchen Parker... London: R. Hardwicke, 1868. url p. 153, p. 154, p. 230.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1905, c1903. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 420.
- A popular zoology / by J. Dorman Steele and J.W.P. Jenks. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c 1887. url p. 312.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 47.
- A student's text-book of zoology / by Adam Sedgwick. London: S. Sonnenschein and co.; 1898-1909. url p. 461.
- A student's text-book of zoology, by Adam Sedgwick. .. London, Macmillan Co., 1898-1909. url p. 461.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A text-book of zoology / London: Macmillan, 1921. url p. 422.
- A text-book of zoology, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited, 1910. url .
- A text-book of zoology, by Jefferey Parker. .. and William A. Haswell. .. London, Macmillian and co., limited.1910. url p. 436.
- A text-book of zoology, by T. Jeffery Parker. .. and William A. Haswell. .. With illustrations. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1897. url p. 408.
- A text-book of zoology, by the late T. Jeffery Parker. .. and William A. Haswell. .. London, Macmillian and co., limited, 1921. url p. 422, p. 422.
- A textbook in general zoology, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url .
- A zoological pocket-book: or, Synopsis of animal classification. Comprising definitions of the Phyla, classes, and orders, with explanatory remarks and tables. Tr. from the 3d German ed. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. London, C. Griffin, 1890. url p. 183.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 14, p. 52.
- An Australian bird book: a pocket book for field use / by J. A. Leach; with introduction by Frank Tate; [photos by Ralph L. Miller; paintings by Ethel M. Paterson]. Melbourne: Whitcombe & Tombs, 1911. url p. 31, p. 31.
- An introduction to the natural history of birds; being the article "Ornithology", from the seventh edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. .. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1839. url p. 632.
- An introduction to zoology for the use of high schools / by R. Ramsay Wright. Toronto: Copp, Clark, 1889. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 157, p. 214, p. 214.
- Analysis and Synthesis of National Reports. Prepared by UNEP and CMS Secretariat CMS url p. 25.
- Animal forms; a second book of zoology, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url .
- Animal forms; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. and Harold Heath. New York: D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 212.
- Animal studies; a text-book of elementary zoology for use in high schools and colleges, New York, D. Appleton and company, 1903. url p. 220, p. 452.
- Animals; a text-book of zoology, by David S. Jordan. .. Vernon L. Kellogg. .. and Harold Heath. New York, D. Appleton, 1907, c1902. url p. 212.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our Living World" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. New York, S. Hess url .
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 141, p. 141, p. 141.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 305, p. 309, p. 311, p. 315, p. 364.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 192, p. 387.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 74.
- Austral avian record; a scientific journal devoted primarily to the study of the Australian avifauna. London: Witherby. url p. 171, p. 209, p. 29, p. 52, p. 68, p. 99.
- Aves polynesiae: a catalogue of the birds of the Polynesian subregion / by Lionel K. Wiglesworth. Berlin: R. Friedlaender & Sohn, 1891. url p. 83.
- Bering's voyages: an account of the efforts of the Russians to determine the relation of Asia and America / by F. A. Golder. New York: American Geographical Society, 1922-25. url p. 23, p. 273.
- Bibliographia zoologiæ et geologiæ. A general catalogue of all books, tracts, and memoirs on zoology and geology. London, Ray society, 1848-54. url .
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 601, p. 61, p. 63, p. 64.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 820, p. 821, p. 822.
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, by Austin C. Apgar. New York, American book company[c1898] url p. 401.
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Birds. Washington, D. C., The Academy, 1904. url .
- British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-9, under the command of Sir E.H. Shackleton, c.v.o. Reports on the scientific investigations. .. London, W. Heinemann, 1910-16. url p. 19, p. 20, p. 21, p. 22.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 108, p. 118, p. 19, p. 263, p. 404, p. 445, p. 60, p. 61.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url fig. 4, p. 63.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 34.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 203.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url , , p. 105, p. 142, p. 156, p. 36.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 94 1944 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 92.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 1023, p. 1024, p. 1026, p. 1029, p. 1033.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 118.
- Cassell's book of birds: From the text of Dr. Brehm / London, Cassell, Petter and Galpin, [1875?] url p. 205.
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 284, p. 416.
- Catalog of California seabird colonies / by Arthur L. Sowls. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Coastal Ecosystems Project, Office of Biological Services, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1980. url p. 349.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 40, p. 41, p. 42.
- Catalogue of museum of natural history and miscellaneous antiquities, curios, &c., collected by Rev. Donald Miller. Bordighera, Italy, Manse Printing Press url p. 25.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 171, p. 230, p. 273, p. 376, p. 433, p. 787, p. 912.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 171, p. 230, p. 273, p. 289, p. 376, p. 433, p. 787, p. 912.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 440, p. 441, p. 443, p. 446.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 162.
- Catalogue of the birds of New Zealand with diagnoses of the species. By Frederick Wollaston Hutton. Wellington, N.Z., J. Hughes, printer, 1871. url p. 43.
- Catalogue of the birds of the tropical islands of the Pacific Ocean, in the collection of the British Museum / by George Robert Gray. London, 1859. url p. 57.
- Catalogue of the books, manuscripts, maps and drawings in the British Museum (Natural History) London: BM(NH), 1903-1940. url p. 1339, p. 366, p. 366.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 162.
- Catalogue of the fossil birds in the British Museum (Natural History) / by Richard Lydekker. London, 1891. url p. 47.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 313, p. 314.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 168.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 366.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 643, p. 8.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 11, p. 799.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 41, p. 42, p. 48, p. 51, p. 52.
- College zoology, New York, The Macmillan company, 1912 url p. 600.
- College zoology, by Robert W. Hegner. New York, The Macmillan company, 1912. url p. 600.
- College zoology. New YorkMacmillan1918 url p. 600.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 83, p. 87.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 129, p. 139.
- Contributions to biology from the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory of the Leland Stanford Jr. University. Stanford University, Calif.: The University, 1895-1904. url p. 156, p. 52.
- Cruise of the "Alert": four years in Patagonian, Polynesian, and Mascarene waters, 1878-82 / with sixteen full-page woodcut illus. from photos. by F. North, and from sketches by the author. LondonW.S. Sonnenschein1884 url p. 22, p. 253.
- Cruise of the "Alert." Four years in Patagonian, Polynesian, and Mascarene waters (1878-82) / by R.W. Coppinger; with sixteen full-page woodcut illustrations from photographs by F. North, and from sketches by the author London: S. Sonnenschein and Co., 1899 url p. 22, p. 253.
- Cuvier's animal kingdom: arranged according to its organization / translated from the French, and abridged for the use of students by H. McMurtrie... London: Orr and Smith, 1834. url p. 161.
- Discovery reports. London; Cambridge University Press. url , , , , p. 128, p. 565.
- Elementary text-book of zoology. By Dr. C. Claus, tr. and ed. by Adam Sedgwick with the assistance of F. G. Heathcote. London, W. S. Sonnenschein, 1884-85. url p. 257.
- Elements of zoology. By Charles Frederick Holder. .. and James Bassett Holder. New York: American book company, [c1885] url p. 244.
- Elements of zoology. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1886. url .
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 731.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology / by J. Dorman Steele. New York: A.S. Barnes & Company, c1876. url p. 301.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology. Chicago [etc.]A. S. Barnes & Company, [c1872] url .
- Game, shore, and water birds of India, with additional references to their allied species in other parts of the world. London, W. Thacker, 1904. url .
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 13, p. 60.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 43.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the department of zoology, British Museum (Natural History) London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 43.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America; with introductory chapters on the study of birds in nature, London, D. Appleton and Company, 1912. url .
- Handbook of zoology / by J. van der Hoeven. Cambridge: University Press, 1856-1858. url p. 392.
- Handbook to The birds of Australia. By John Gould. LondonPub. by the author, 1865. url p. 427, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 430, p. 431, p. 431, p. 433, p. 433, p. 433, p. 434, p. 435, p. 440, p. 440, p. 597, p. 597.
- Handbuch der Biologie der Wirbeltiere. Von Dr. M. Hilzheimer. unter Mitwirkung von Dr. Phil. O. Haempel. mikt 599 Textabbildungen. vii, 756 p.illus (part col.)26 cm. url p. 393, p. 498.
- Homes without hands. Being a description of the habitations of animals, classed according to their principle of construction. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. .. With new designs by W.F. Keyl and E. Smith. Engraved by Messrs. Pearson. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1866. url p. 643.
- Homes without hands: being a description of the habitations of animals, classed according to their principle of construction / New York: Harper & Brothers, 1866. url .
- Hunting and fishing in Florida, including a key to the water birds known to occur in the state / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 148, p. 201.
- Hunting and fishing in Florida: including a key to the water birds known to occur in the State / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1896 [c1895] url p. 148, p. 201.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url , p. 123, p. 151, p. 177, p. 189, p. 238, p. 239, p. 245, p. 248, p. 248, p. 252, p. 264, p. 266, p. 268, p. 282, p. 283, p. 284, p. 290, p. 293, p. 318, p. 330, p. 338, p. 344, p. 348, p. 358, p. 375, p. 400, p. 405, p. 41, p. 436, p. 457, p. 458, p. 460, p. 503, p. 51, p. 513, p. 537, p. 557, p. 589, p. 593, p. 673, p. 674, p. 675, p. 68, p. 680, p. 75, p. 97.
- Illustrations of the birds of California, Texas, Oregon, British and Russian America.: Intended to contain descriptions and figures of all North American birds not given by former American authors, and a general synopsis of North American ornithology. / By John Cassin, member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; of the American Philosophical Society; of the Horticultural Society of Pennsylvania; of the National Institute; of the South 1862 Philadelphia:: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1862. url p. 211, p. 291.
- Index faunæ Novæ Zealandiæ / edited by F.W. Hutton. London: Dulau & Co., 37 Soho Square, 1904 url p. 303, p. 304, p. 312.
- Index faunæ Novæ Zealandiæ, ed. by F.W. Hutton, F.R.S. Pub. for the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury, New Zealand. London, Dulau & Co., 1904. url p. 303, p. 304, p. 312.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 775.
- Ixodidae / par L. G. Neumann. Berlin: R. Friedlander und sohn, 1911. url p. 131, p. 141.
- Ixodidae. BerlinR. Friedländer1911 url p. 131, p. 141.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url , , , , p. 410.
- Journal kept by David Douglas during his travels in North America 1823-1827, together with a particular description of thirty-three species of American oaks and eighteen species of Pinus, with appendices containing a list of the plants introduced by Douglas and an account of h London, W. Wesley & Son, 1914. url , , , , p. 52, p. 53, p. 55, p. 91, p. 92.
- Journal of the Right Hon. Sir Joseph Banks. .. during Captain Cook's first voyage in H.M.S. Endeavour in 1768-71 to Terra del Fuego, Otahite, New Zealand, Australia, the Dutch East Indies, etc. / London; Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1896. url , , , , .
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , , p. 892, p. 906.
- Key to the water birds of Florida. Boston, Barta Press1896. url p. 16, p. 167, p. 69.
- Links in the chain; or, Popular chapters on the curiosities of animal life, by George Kearley with illustrations by F.W. Keyl. London: J. Hogg and Sons,  url p. 195.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London: Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 538.
- Lord Lilford on birds: being a collection of informal and unpublished writings by the late president of the British Ornithologists' Union. With contributed papers upon falconry and otter hunting, his favourite sports. Edited by Aubyn Trevor-Battye and illustrated by Archibald Thorburn. London, Hutchinson, 1903. url p. 221.
- Loudon's Natural History. Popular descriptions, tales and anecdotes of more than five hundred animals. London, G. Bell and sons, 1889. url , p. 396.
- Mammalogy and ornithology by John Cassin. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1858. url , .
- Manual of the birds of New Zealand. By Walter L. Buller. .. Wellington, N.Z., G. Didsbury, government printer, 1882. url p. 82, p. 83.
- Memo?rias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro. url p. 154.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 30.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 13 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 345, p. 345, p. 347, p. 347.
- Narrative of the circumnavigation of the globe by the Austrian frigate Novara, (Commodore B. von Wullerstorf-Urbair, ): undertaken by order of the imperial government, in the years l857, 1858, & 1859, under the immediate auspices of His I. and R. Highness the Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, Commander-in-Chief of the Aust By Dr. Karl Scherzer. London: Saunders, Otley, 1861-63. url p. 297, p. 317.
- Narrative of the surveying voyages of His Majesty's Ships Adventure and Beagle between the years 1826 and 1836, describing their examination of the southern shores of South America, and the Beagle's c London: Henry Colburn, 1839. url p. 541.
- Natural history sketches / by the Old bushman. London: F. Warne and co.;  url p. 269.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker [and others] London, Hutchinson, 1897. url p. 258, p. 738.
- Natural history, by R. Lydekker, W. F. Kirby, B. B. Woodward, R. Kirpatrick, R. I. Pocock, R. Bowdler Sharpe, W. Garstang, F. A. Bather, H. M. Bernard. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 258.
- Natural history. London, Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1907-12. url , , , , p. 108, p. 109, p. 110, p. 33.
- Natural history: [voyage of the S.S. Discovery under Capt. R.F. Scott] / edited by Jeffrey Bell London: British Museum, 1907-1912 url p. 108, p. 109, p. 110, p. 119, p. 33.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 306, p. 547.
- Nests and eggs of Australian birds, including the geographical distribution of the species and popular observations thereon, by Archibald James Campbell. ... With map, 28 coloured plates and 131 photographic illustrations. Sheffield, Printed for the author by Pawson & Brailsford, 1901. url p. 34.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- Nitzsch's Pterylography, tr. from the German. Ed. by Philip Lutley Sclater. 1867 London, Pub. for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url p. 178, p. 40.
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url , .
- Notes by a naturalist on the "Challenger", being an account of various observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" around the world, in the years 1872-1876, under the commands of Capt. Sir G. S. Nares and Capt. F. T. Thomson. By H. N. Moseley. London, Macmillan and co., 1879. url p. 173.
- Notes by a naturalist: an account of observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" round the world in the years 1872-1876 / by H. N. Moseley. New York: Putnam, 1892. url p. 115, p. 150, p. 220.
- Notes of a naturalist in South America, London, K. Paul, Trench & co., 1887. url , .
- Notes on the birds of Damara Land and the adjacent countries of South-west Africa. London, J. van Voorst, 1872. url , .
- Notes on the birds of Damara land and the adjacent countries of the south-west Africa. By the late Charles John Anderson. .. Arranged and edited by John Henry Gurney, with some additional notes by the editor, and and introductory chapter containing a sketch of the author's life, abridge London, J. van Voorst1872. url , p. 355.
- Notes on the breeding habits of New Zealand birds / Wellington: J. Hughes, printer,  url p. 6.
- Notes on the natural history of the Strait of Magellan and west coast of Patagonia made during the voyage of H.M.S. Nassau in the years 1866, 67, 68, & 69; Edinburgh, Edmonston and Douglas, 1871. url p. 329, p. 612.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 206.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 293, p. 33, p. 37.
- Ocean birds. By J. F. Green. With a preface by A. G. Guillemard. And a treatise on skinning birds, by F. H. H. Guillemard, M. D. The illustrations by Frances E. Green. London, R. H. Porter, 1887. url p. 10, p. 11, p. 27, p. 4.
- Oceanic birds of South America: a study of species of the related coasts and seas, including the American quadrant of Antarctica, based upon the Brewster-Sanford collection in the American Museum of Natural History / by Robert Cushman Murphy; illustrated from paintings by Francis L. Jaques; photographs, maps, and other drawings. New York: Macmillan Co.: c1936. url p. 1183, p. 1207, p. 232, p. 258, p. 479, p. 485, p. 498, p. 519, p. 542, fig. 56, p. 563, p. 569, p. 571, p. 572, p. 575, p. 576, p. 579, p. 580, p. 74.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 27.
- Official lists and indexes of names and works in zoology / edited by R.V. Melville and J.D.D. Smith. London: ICZN, 1987. url p. 82.
- On the anatomy of vertebrates. .. By Richard Owen. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1866-68. url p. 61.
- On the cranial osteology, classification and phylogeny of Dinornithidae. London, 1895. url p. 438.
- On the power, wisdom and goodness of God, as manifested in the creation of animals, and in their history, habits and instincts / Philadelphia:Carey, Lea & Blanchard, 1836. url p. 429.
- Opinions and declarations rendered by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. London, Printed by order of the International Trust for Zoological Nomenclature. url p. 176, p. 414.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 1024, p. 1026, p. 1029, p. 1033.
- Ornithological miscellany / 1 1876 London: Trübner and Co., Bernard Quaritch, R.H. Porter, 1876-1878. url p. 237, p. 238.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 11.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 100, p. 243, p. 288, p. 99, p. 99.
- Papers from the Hopkins-Stanford Galapagos expedition, 1898-1899. Washington, D.C., The Academy, 1901-1905. url p. 240.
- Popular natural history. By the Rev. J.G. Wood. With five hundred illustrations. Philadelphia, Porter & Coates url p. 480.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 9.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 17, p. 18, p. 42.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 157, p. 175, p. 175, p. 187, p. 241, p. 241, p. 326, p. 55, p. 64, p. 64.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 741.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 143.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 14, p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, p. 42, p. 43, p. 44.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 304.
- Proceedings of the International Ornithological Congress. [Canberra, etc.]Australian Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 273, p. 41, p. 96, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , p. 1096, p. 202, p. 316.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 103, p. 199.
- Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales. Mosman, New South Wales [etc.]The Society. url p. 13, p. 13, p. 16, p. 42.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 12 1889 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 188, p. 272, p. 277, p. 332, p. 493, p. 5, p. 60, p. 64, p. 65, p. 8, p. 83, p. 838.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 240, p. 424, p. 482.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 472.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 303, p. 304.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 19.
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 151.
- Report of the scientific results of the voyage of S.Y. "Scotia" during the years 1902, 1903, and 1904, under the leadership of William S. Bruce. .. Edinburgh: The Scottish oceanographical laboratory, 1907- url , , , , , , , , p. 15, p. 76.
- Report on the anatomy of the petrels (Tubinares) collected during the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger / by W.A. Forbes. London?: s.n., 1882 url , , p. 14, p. 15, p. 16, p. 40, p. 43, p. 8.
- Report on the collections of natural history made in the Antarctic regions during the voyage of the "Southern Cross." London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1902. url p. 160, p. 160, p. 93.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of S.Y. "Scotia" during the years 1902, 1903 and 1904, under the leadership of William S. Bruce. Edinburgh:Scottish Oceanographical Laboratory, 1907-20. url , , , p. 208, p. 215, p. 223, p. 286, p. 287, p. 291.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 165, p. 166, p. 168, p. 168, p. 170, p. 176.
- Reptiles and birds, a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / by Louis Figuier; edited and adapted by Parker Gillmore. New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url p. 312, p. 314.
- Reptiles and birds. A popular account of the various orders; with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting. Springfield, Mass., W.J. Holland[pref. 1869] url , p. 314.
- Reptiles and birds: a popular account of their various orders: with a description of the habits and economy of the most interesting / New York: D. Appleton, 1870. url .
- Review of information regarding the conservation of living resources of the Antarctic marine ecosystem: final report / John L. Bengtson. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Marine Mammal Commission,  url p. 146.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 31, p. 32, p. 40.
- Science and the sea. Washington, U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office; For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 65.
- Sea-birds: an introduction to the natural history of the sea-birds of the North Atlantic / by James Fisher and R. M. Lockley. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1954. url p. 192, p. 28, p. 296, p. 314.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 46 1905 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 102, p. 17, p. 19, p. 28, p. 29, p. 32, p. 33, p. 332, p. 40, p. 411, p. 471, p. 49, p. 8.
- Smithsonian scientific series. New York: Smithsonian Institution Series, Inc., -32. url p. 383.
- Strange dwellings: being a description of the habitations of animals, abridged from 'Homes without hand' / by J.G. Wood; with designs by W.F. Keyl, J.B. Zwecker, and E. Smith. London: Longmans, Green, 1903. url p. 405.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 18, p. 345.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 5.
- Tabular list of all the Australian birds at present know to the author. .. Sydney, 1888. url p. 23.
- Text book of zoology London, Sampson Low, Marston, 1896. url , .
- Text-book of zoology; London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url .
- Text-book of zoology; treated from a biological standpoint, by Dr. Otto Schmeil; tr. from the German by Rudolf Rosenstock, M. A.; ed. by J. T. Cunningham, M. A. London, A. and C. Black, 1901. url p. 225.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 149, p. 149, p. 181, p. 181, p. 240, p. 355, p. 355, p. 360, p. 388, p. 388.
- The Arcturus adventure: an account of the New York Zoological Society's first oceanographic expedition / by William Beebe. .. with 77 illus. from colored plates, photos. and maps, published under the auspices of the Zoological Society. New York: Putnam, 1926. url p. 103.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , , p. 123, p. 177, p. 178, p. 345, p. 347, p. 384, p. 387, p. 388, p. 394, p. 396, p. 442, p. 443, p. 452, p. 453, p. 454, p. 46, p. 469, p. 508, p. 9.
- The Australian zoologist. Sydney, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales url , , , p. 119, p. 120, p. 122, p. 29.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 367.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 253, p. 79.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 601, p. 61, p. 63, p. 64.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 61, p. 63, p. 63.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 11, p. 135, p. 157, p. 164, p. 183, p. 215, p. 243, p. 261, p. 262, p. 267, p. 40, p. 42, p. 53, p. 86.
- The Galathea Deep Sea Expedition, 1950-1952, described by members of the expedition / edited by Anton F. Bruun. .. [et al.], translated from the Danish by Reginald Spink. New York, : Macmillan,  url p. 228, p. 231, p. 270.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 141, p. 30.
- The Journal of the South African Ornithologists' Union. Pretoria. url p. 134, p. 236.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 1 1842 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 274.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url p. 52, p. 54.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url , p. 125, p. 129, p. 212, p. 217, p. 25.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 86.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 408.
- The Vertebrata of the Pliocene deposits of Britain. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery off., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891. url .
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 39.
- The animal creation: a popular introduction to zoology / by Thomas Rymer Jones, FRS. London: Society for Promoting Knowledge, 1865. url p. 463.
- The animal kingdom, arranged according to its organization, serving as a foundation for the natural history of animals: and an introduction to comparative anatomy / by Baron Cuvier; with figures designed after nature: the Crustacea, Arachnides, & Insecta, by M. Latreille; translated from the latest French edition; with additional notes, and illustrated by near 1 1837 London: G. Henderson, 1834-1837. url p. xviii.
- The animals of New Zealand; an account of the dominion's air-breathing vertebrates, by Captain F.W. Hutton and James Drummond. Christchurch, N. Z., Whitcombe and Tombs, 1909. url p. 11, p. 269.
- The best American science and nature writing 2000 / edited and with an introduction by David Quammen; Burkhard Bilger, series editor. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co., 2000. url p. 126.
- The birds of Australia, London [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs Limited, 1911. url , , , , .
- The birds of South Africa / by Edgar Leopold Layard. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1875-1884. url , p. 771, p. 774.
- The birds of South Africa, London, R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , , , .
- The birds of South Africa, by Arthur C. Stark. .. London: R. H. Porter, 1900-1906. url , p. 494, p. 495, p. 497.
- The birds of Tierra del Fuego / 1907 London: B. Quaritch, 1907. url p. 144, p. 145, p. 147, p.
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 984.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 330.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 97, p. 97, p. 97.
- The collected scientific papers of the late William Alexander Forbes, Edited by F. E. Beddard. With a preface by P. L. Sclater. London, R.H. Porter, 1885. url p. 360, p. 369, p. 372, p. 378, p. 379, p. 380, p. 383, p. 410, p. 413, p. 425, p. 429, p. 439.
- The cyclopaedia of anatomy and physiology. Ed. by Robert B. Todd. London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts, 1835-59. url p. 280.
- The gannet: a bird with a history / by J. H. Gurney. London: Witherby, 1913. url p. 423.
- The history of the collections contained in the natural history departments of the British Museum. by R. Bowdler Sharpe. London, 1906. url p. 176, p. 188, p. 203, p. 339.
- The museum of natural history, with introductory essay on the natural history of the primeval world: being a popular account of the structure, habits, and classification of the various departments of the animal kingdom, quadrupeds, birds, reptiles, fishes, shells, and insects, including the insects d by Sir John Richardson, William S. Dallas, T. Spencer Cobbold, and William Baird & Adam White. Edinburgh: William MacKenzie, [1869?] url p. 434.
- The natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920- url p. 337.
- The natural history of South Africa. by F.W. Fitzsimons. London, New York [etc.]Longmans, Green and co., 1923. url p. 321.
- The natural history of animals: the animal life of the world in its various aspects and relations, London, The Gresham Publishing Company, 1903-04. url .
- The natural history of birds; a popular introduction to ornithology. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1867. url p. 537.
- The naturalist's library: containing scientific and popular descriptions of man, quadrupeds, birds, fishes, reptiles and insects / compiled from the works of Cuvier, Griffith, Richardson, Geoffrey, Lacepede, Buffon, Goldsmith, Shaw, Montague, Wilson, Lewis and Clarke, Audubon, and other writers on natural history; arranged accor Boston: Phillips, Sampson, and Company, 1854. url p. 659.
- The new natural history, by Richard Lydekker. .. and R. Bowdler Sharpe, H.A. MacPherson, F.O. Pickard-Cambridge, W.R. Ogilvie Grant, C.J. Gahan, F.A. Bather, Edgar A. Smith, R.I. Pocock, M. Bernard, H. Bernard and R. Kirkpatr New York, Merrill and Baker[189-?] url p. 520.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 63.
- The polar and tropical worlds: a description of man and nature in the polar and equatorial regions of the globe / by G. Hartwig; edited, with additional chapters, by A.H. Guernsey. Guelph, Ont.: J.W. Lyon, 1874. url p. 395.
- The popular encyclopedia; being a general dictionary of arts, sciences, literature, biography, history, and political economy, reprinted from the American edition of the "Conversations lexicon". .. with dissertations on the ri by Sir D.K. Sandford, on the progress of science, by Thomas Thomson, and on the progress of the fine arts, by Allan Cunningham. Glasgow, Blackie[n.d.] url p. 361.
- The sea and its living wonders; a popular account of the marvels of the deep and of the progress of maritime discovery from the earliest ages to the present time, by Dr. G. Hartwig. London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1892. url p. 162.
- The standard natural history. Ed. by John Sterling Kingsley. Boston, S.E. Cassino and company, 1884-85. url p. 86.
- The story of the birds: being an introduction to the study of ornithology. London: George Allen, 1900. url p. 61, p. 61.
- The structure and classification of birds, London, Longmans, Green, and co., 1898. url , .
- The subantarctic islands of New Zealand. Reports on the geo-physics, geology, zoology, and botany of the islands lying to the south of New Zealand, based mainly on observatiohs and collections made during an expedition in the government stea Ed. by Chas. Chilton. Pub. by the Philosophical institute of Canterbury. Wellington, N.Z., Printed by J. Mackay, govt. printer, 1909. url p. 566, p. 570, p. 573.
- The voyage of the "Challenger": the Atlantic: a preliminary account of the general results of the exploring voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" during the year 1873 and the early part of the year 1876 / by Sir C. Wyville Thomson. New York: Harper, 1878. url p. 145, p. 162.
- The water birds of North America by S.F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1884. url .
- The water birds of North America. By S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer and R. Ridgway. Issued in continuation of the publications of the Geological survey of California. J. D. Whitney, state geologist. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1884. url p. 345, p. 347, p. 411.
- The wonders of animal ingenuity / by H. Coupin and John Lea. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1910. url p. 127.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London: Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 135.
- The zoology of the voyage of the H.M.S. Erebus & Terror, under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross, during the years 1839 to 1843. By authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. Edited by John Richardson and John Edward Gray. 1 London, E. W. Janson, 1844-1875. url p. 18, p. 32.
- Three voyages of a naturalist, being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla, " R. Y. S.; London, Witherby & co., 1908. url p. 158.
- Three voyages of a naturalist: being an account of many little-known islands in three oceans visited by the "Valhalla" R.Y.S. / by M. J. Nicoll; with an introduction by the Earl of Crawford. London: Witherby & Co., 1908. url p. 158, p. 65.
- Ticks, a monograph of the Ixodoidea. Bibliography of the Ixodoidea, CambridgeUniversity Press1911-15 url p. 27.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 88, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 431, p. 437, p. 437, p. 445, p. 445, p. 464, p. 464, p. 465, p. 465.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 188, p. 497, p. 505.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 275.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 19 1977 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url fig. 12, page 15, p. 220, p. 234, p. 3, fig. 2, page 4.
- Transactions of the Zoological Society of London. [London]: Published for the Zoological Society of London by Academic Press url p. 207, p. 207, p. 218, p. 218, p. 285, p. 285, p. 306, p. 306, p. 314, p. 341, p. 341, p. 372, p. 372, p. 67, p. 67.
- Vertebrate zoo?logy, New York, Macmillan, 1920. url .
- Vertebrate zoölogy, by Horatio Hackett Newman New York, The Macmillan company, 1920 url p. 293.
- Visitors' guide to the collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History. .. New York, Printed for the Museum, 1888. url p. 22.
- Wanderings in New South Wales, Batavia, Pedir Coast, Singapore, and China; being the journal of a naturalist in those countries, during 1832, 1833, and 1834. LondonR. Bentley1834 url p. 357, p. 357, p. 382, p. 396.
- Young folk's illustrated book of birds: with numerous original, instructive and amusing anecdotes / by T. Bilby. New York: John W. Lovell Co., [188-?] url p. 122.
- Zoological classification; a handy book of reference with tables of the subkingdoms, classes, orders, etc., of the animal kingdom, their characters and lists of the families and principal genera. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 233.
- Zoological results based on material from New Britain, New Guinea, Loyalty Islands and elsewhere, collected during the years 1895, 1896, and 1897. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press1902 url p. 557, p. 560.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 42.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url , p. 12, p. 223, p. 26, p. 337, p. 368, p. 387, p. 388, p. 406, p. 437.
- Zoology for high schools and colleges / New York: H. Holt and Company, 1895. url , .
- Zoology. N. Y., Holt[c1897] url .
- Zoology. New YorkHolt1892 url p. 214.
- Zoology: for students and general readers / New York: Henry Holt, 1879. url .
- Zoölogical science, or, Nature in living forms adapted to elucidate the chart of the animal kingdom / by A.M. Redfield, and designed for the higher seminaries, common schools, libraries, and the family circle New York: E.B. & E.C. Kellogg, 1858 url p. 432, p. 432.
- BirdLife International 2010. Diomedea exulans. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Australian Antarctic Data Centre, Seabirds of the Southern and South Indian Ocean
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- Provider, Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Birds of the Gothenburg Natural History Museum
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9070
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174525
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174525
- IUCN ID: 205411
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4298
- Standard Deviation = 45.980 based on 124,088 observations. Terrestrial altitude and ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- BirdLife International 2010. Diomedea exulans. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 31 January 2012. [back]