Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
chalk-line, Chucklehead, crab-catcher, fly-up-the-creek, green bittern, green heron, Little green heron, Poke, shitepoke, skeow, skow, swamp squaggin
Common Names in French:
hÃ©ron vert, héron vert
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Garceta verde, Garcita Verdosa, Garcita verdosau
Common Names in Swedish:
The back and wings of the adult are blue-gray. The belly, front of the neck, and chin are white. The back and sides of the neck and the sides of the head are chestnut. The top of the head is greenish-black. On the adult, the legs are orange and the bill is dark. Immature birds are duller in color, with a streaked neck and yellow legs.
About 18 to 22 inches long, with a wingspan of 26 to 26 inches. Adults weigh about 7.5 ounces .
Nesting occurs in areas that are also used for feeding habitats , such as ponds , rivers , lakes , marshes, and mangroves .
Vegetation: freshwater lakes and ponds, freshwater marshes, rivers, streams, tropical lowland evergreen forest, mangrove forests • Maximum Elevation: 1,850 meters • Foraging Strata: Water • Center of Abundance: Lower tropical: lowlands, lower than 500 m.; tropics. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
List of Habitats
- 1 Forest
- 1.7 Forest - Subtropical/Tropical Mangrove Vegetation Above High Tide Level
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha)
This little heron forages either by standing in the water, by sitting on a very low perch over the water to watch and wait for prey to come by, or by stalking its prey. Food items include fish, insects, invertebrates , and amphibians .
The breeding season
occurs from late March to late July, with a peak
from mid-April to late May. The male and female build a platform-style
or small trees
close to or over
the water. The female lays
from 2-7 (usually 2-4) eggs
, which both
she and the male incubate for 21-25 days. The young are semi-altricial
from the nest 35-35 days after hatching
. The adults
care of the young for approximately a month after they fledge. Then
the young birds become independent
Green Herons are solitary nesters and do not nest in rookeries like many other species of herons.
- Breeding Habitat : Wetland-open water
- Clutch Size: 4-5
- Length of Incubation : 21-25 days
- Days to Fledge: 34-35
- Number of Broods: occasionally 2
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Garrod, 1874
- Wagler, 1830
- Infraorder: Ciconiides () -
- Suborder: Ciconii () -
- Order: Ardeiformes () - Wagler, 1830
- Superorder: Ciconiimorphae () - Garrod, 1874
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Butorides virescens (Linnaeus, 1758)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Little Blue Heron
Members of the genus Butorides
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 8 species and subspecies in this genus:
B. striata (Green-Backed Heron) · B. striatus (Anthony's Green Heron) · B. striatus striatus (Anthony's Green Heron) · B. sundevalli (Galapagos Heron) · B. virescens (Little Green Heron) · B. virescens anthonyi (Green Heron) · B. virescens frazari (Green Heron) · B. virescens virescens (Green Heron)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 140, p. 155, p. 284, p. 313, p. 316, p. 319, p. 321, p. 325, p. 332, p. 343, p. 344, p. 348, p. 389, p. 409, p. 410, p. 445, p. 449, p. 455, p. 457, p. 459, p. 473, p. 475, p. 479, p. 480, p. 481, p. 503, p. 510, p. 515, p. 516, p. 517, p. 518, p. 519, p. 524, p. 525, p. 531, p. 533, p. 538, p. 539, p. 548, p. 551, p. 554, p. 555, p. 557, p. 564, p. 565, p. 567, p. 574, p. 579, p. 588, p. 589, p. 590, p. 591, p. 592, p. 595, p. 671.
- A List of British birds / London: British Ornithologists' Union, 1915. url , .
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 35.
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 279, p. 322.
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka: Kansas Publishing house, 1883. url p. 24.
- A catalogue of the collection of birds formed by the late Hugh Edwin Strickland. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1882. url p. 518.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 107.
- A check list of Rhode Island nesting birds, with data. [Providence? R.I.], c1908. url p. 1.
- A contribution to the ornithology of northeastern Brazil, by Charles E. Hellmayr. 12 1929 Chicago, 1929. url p. 487.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url , .
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 30.
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 171.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over 250 species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field, by Ralph Huffmann...with four full page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and nearly 100 cuts in the text. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company1904 url p. 282, p. 353.
- A handbook of British birds, showing the distribution of the resident and migratory species in the British islands, with an index to the records of the rarer visitants, by J.E. Harting. .. London, J.C. Nimmo, 1901. url , , p. 505, p. 510.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 321.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, by William Lutley Sclater. .. London, Witherby & co., 1912. url p. 538, p. 87.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 422, p. 428.
- A list of British birds, comp. by a committee of the British ornithologists' union. London: British ornithologists' union, 1915. url p. 347, p. 407.
- A list of the birds of Hudson highlands: with annotations / by Edgar A. Mearns. [s.l.: s.n.], 1878-1881. url p. 110, p. 96.
- A list of the birds of New England. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute Press, 1868. url .
- A monograph of the genus Chordeiles Swainson: type of a new family of goatsuckers / Washington: G.P.O., 1914. url , .
- A naturalist's rambles about home. New York, Appleton, 1889. url p. 481.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url , .
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url .
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A study of the structure of feathers, with reference to their taxonomic significance, by Asa C. Chandler. Berkeley, University of California press, 1916. url p. 323, p. 412.
- A supplement to The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, Jr. and Edward Sturtevant. Middletown, R.I.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 11.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url .
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 17, p. 25, p. 62.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 418.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 214.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 214.
- An authentic history of Lancaster County: in the state of Pennsylvania / by J.I. Mombert. Lancaster, Pa.: J.E. Barr & Co., 1869. url p. 513.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url p. 20.
- An illustrated manual of British birds. London, Gurney and Jackson, 1899. url , .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 359.
- Anatomical and zoological researches: comprising an account of the zoological results of the two expeditions to western Yunnan in 1868 and 1875; and a monograph of the two cetacean genera, Platanista and Orcella / London: B. Quaritch, 1878. url .
- Animal Ecology. Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall, 1961. url p. 456.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url , p. 135, p. 185, p. 186, p. 292, p. 468, p. 531, p. 553, p. 566, p. 568, p. 570, p. 595, p. 610.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annotated list of the birds of Point Pelee. n.p., n.d. url p. 83.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 106, p. 262, p. 478, p. 679, p. 81, p. 84, p. 93.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Fisheries to the Secretary of Commerce for the fiscal year ended. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1914-1940. url p. 24.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 106, p. 453.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 152, p. 199, p. 199.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 235.
- Baby bird-finder. .. by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. .. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904-06. url p. 61.
- Beneath tropic seas; a record of diving among the coral reefs of Haiti, by William Beebe. .. with sixty illustrations. New York, G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1928. url p. 219.
- Biltmore lectures on sylviculture / by C. A. Schenck. Albany, N.Y.: Brandow Printing Co., 1907. url p. 11.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Bird guide...east of the Rockies, by Chester A. Reed. New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1910. url p. 127.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 127.
- Bird lice from the Tinamidae. 24 1943 Chicago, 1943. url p. 390.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 355.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 594.
- Birds of Arkansas. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1911. url , .
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url .
- Birds of Chautauqua county: an address delivered before the Chautauqua Society of History and Natural Science at its semi-annual meeting held in Jamestown, January 29, 1885 / by John M. Edson. Jamestown [N.Y.]: Geo. H. Tiffany, 1886. url p. 13.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 262, p. 478, p. 679, p. 681.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 679.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of New York, by Elon Howard Eaton. .. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url p. 262, p. 478.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 246, p. 31.
- Birds of South Dakota. By William H. Over and Craig S. Thoms. Vermillion, University of South Dakota, 1920. url p. 60.
- Birds of Swope park in the heart of America, Kansas City, Mo., by Albert E. Shirling... Kansas City, Mo.: McIndoo publishing company, 1920. url p. 66.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: J. de Labroquerie Taché, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 275.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 275.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 275.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the British Isles / drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introduction by Charles Dixon. London: W. Scott, 1898. url p. 440.
- Birds of the British Isles, drawn and described by John Duncan; with an introd. by Charles Dixon. London, W. Scott, 1898. url p. 440.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 349.
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919 url p. 243.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 129, p. 390.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 522, p. 745.
- Birds of the vicinity of the University of Indiana, by W. L. McAtee. [Indianapolis, Ind.]1905. url p. 74.
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of western and northwestern Mexico. Boston, Published by the Society, 1874. url .
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Birds: their photographs and home life / by A. H. Cordier. .. with 145 illustrations from photographs of wild birds, by the author. Philadelphia: Dorrance, c1923. url p. 91, p. 91.
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 35, p. 38, p. 48, p. 5, p. 59, p. 6, p. 60, p. 69.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 2 1963 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 45.
- British birds with their nests and eggs London, Brumby & Clarke[1896-98] url , , .
- British birds: key list. London, R. H. Porter, 1892. url p. 34.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , , , p. 106, p. 108, p. 115, p. 120, p. 121, p. 124, p. 131, p. 15, p. 185, p. 193, p. 194, p. 195, p. 26, p. 27, p. 309, p. 32, p. 42, p. 454, p. 462, p. 471, p. 482, p. 485, p. 490, p. 50, p. 65, p. 69, p. 72, p. 73, p. 76, p. 82, p. 83, p. 83, p. 86, p. 88, p. 90, p. 91, p. 94, p. 99.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 62.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 24, p. 300, p. 31, p. 313, p. 331, p. 76, p. 79, fig. 8, p. 84.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 26, p. 346.
- Bulletin / State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]: The Survey, 1904- url p. 236.
- Bulletin / Vermont Bird Club. [Rutland, Vt.]: The Club, 1906-1914 url p. 35, p. 7.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 416.
- Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club. London: The Club, 1893- url .
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 43, p. 50.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 76, p. 90.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 393, p. 393, p. 393.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 248.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 131, p. 134, p. 139.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 493.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 157, p. 171, p. 230, p. 37, p. 76, p. 90, p. 93, p. 96.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 206, p. 318.
- Camp life in Florida a handbook for sportsmen and settlers. Comp. by Charles Hallock [New York]Forest and Stream Pub. Co., 1876 url p. 47.
- Camp life in Florida; a handbook for sportsmen and settlers. Comp. by Charles Hallock. [New York]Forest and stream publishing company, 1876. url p. 47.
- Camps in the Caribbees: the adventures of a naturalist in the Lesser Antilles / By Frederick A. Ober. Boston: Lee and Shepard, 1899, c1879. url p. 349.
- Camps in the Caribbees; the adventures of a naturalist in the Lesser Antilles. Boston, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, [c1907] url p. 349.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url p. 11, p. 31, p. 40, p. 42, p. 47, p. 48, p. 51, p. 51, p. 65, p. 83, p. 87, p. 97.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 143.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 143.
- Catalogue of a collection of birds from Guatemala, by Ned Dearborn. 1 1907 Chicago, 1907. url p. 75.
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 178, p. 180, p. 181, p. 182, p. 183, p. 184, p. 185.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 172, p. 176, p. 186, p. 279, p. 280.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 127.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 127.
- Catalogue of the specimens illustrating the osteology of vertebrated animals, recent and extinct, contained in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. London, 1891. url p. 277.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 23.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 30, p. 414, p. 494.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 43, p. 658, p. 668, p. 689.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 103, p. 104, p. 219, p. 220.
- Collected writings on mammals. [v.p.]1870-1908. url p. 125.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 335, p. 335, p. 94, p. 94.
- Color key to North American birds; with bibliographical appendix. New York, D. Appleton, 1912. url .
- Contents and index to volume 7, numbers 1 to 12, Zoological series / Charles B. Cory. 7 1912 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1912. url p. 422.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 244, p. 332.
- Coral Reefs of the World. url p. 299.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , p. 232.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 3, p. 58.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url , p. 3.
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 3.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 18.
- Field book of birds of the Panama Canal Zone; a description on the habits, call notes and songs of the birds of the Panama Canal Zone, for the purpose of identifying them. Many of these birds are also common in Central and South America. By Bertha Bement Sturgis; with over 100 illustrations, colour plates, pen-and-ink sketches, and a map of the Panama Canal Zone. London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1928. url , .
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award for Apalachicola Bay and lower Apalachicola River, Franklin County, Florida to State of Florida / Washington, D.C.: Office of Coastal Zone Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1979. url .
- Fish and Wildlife Habitat Changes Resulting from Construction of a Nine-Foot Channel on Pools 24, 25, and 26 of the Mississippi River and the Lower Illinois River, Ft. BelvoirDefense Technical Information CenterAPR 1979. url p. 437.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 213, p. 228, p. 41.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 248.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 70.
- Illinois birds: Ciconiiformes / Jean W. Graber, Richard R. Graber, Ethelyn L. Kirk. Urbana: State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1978. url p. 20.
- Illustrations of the nests and eggs of birds of Ohio: with text / 1 1886 Circleville, Ohio, U.S.A.: [s.n.], 1886 url p. xxi.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 296, p. 298, p. 582, p. 588.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 104, p. 44, p. 78.
- Joy of nature: how to observe and appreciate the great outdoors / [editor, Alma E. Guinness]. Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1977. url p. 331.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 905.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 647.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 515, p. 647.
- List of the birds of Nelson County / by Charles Wickliffe Beckham. Frankfort, Ky.: John D. Woods, [1885?] url p. 46.
- List of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological Society of London. London, Printed for the Society, 1896. url p. 417, p. 417.
- Manual of the vertebrates of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi River, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, exclusive of marine species. Chicago, Jansen, McClurg, 1884. url p. 132.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. 12 1884 Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url fig. in text, page 48, p. 48, p. 50, p. 50.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 136, p. 335, p. 405.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url , .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 143, p. 798.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 1, p. 51, p. 9, p. 9.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 103, p. 106, p. 51, p. 93.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 27.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 27.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 747, p. 747.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 22.
- Nests and eggs of birds of the United States. .. Philadelphia, J.A. Wagenseller, 1882. url p. 249.
- New England bird life: being a manual of New England ornithology; rev. and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns. .. by Dr. Elliott Coues. .. Boston, C.T. Dillingham, 1881-83. url p. 264, p. 264, p. 264, p. 407, p. 407, p. 407.
- New England bird life; being a manual of New England ornithology: rev.and ed. from the manuscript of Winfrid A. Stearns / Boston, C. T. Dillingham, 1883-, c1881. url .
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 81, p. 84.
- North American birds eggs, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 337, p. 97.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 337.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 24, p. 392, p. 392.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url .
- On the birds of the islands of Aruba, Curaçao, and Bonaire / by Ernst Hartert. London?: s.n., 1893 url p. 307, p. 325.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url , p. 162, p. 71, p. 96.
- Ornithology and oo?logy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston, Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 406, p. 581.
- Ornithology and oölogy of New England: containing full descriptions of the birds of New England, and adjoining states and provinces. .. by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Nichols and Noyes, 1867. url p. 406.
- Our living world; an artistic edition of the Rev. J. G. Wood's Natural history of animate creation. New York: S. Hess,  url p. 657.
- Our northern and eastern birds: containing descriptions of the birds of the northern and eastern states and British provinces; together with a history of their habits, times of arrival and departure, their distribution, food, song, by Edward A. Samuels; with a supplement from Holder's "American fauna." New York: R. Worthington, 1883. url p. 404.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 17.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 118, p. 118, p. 119, p. 121, p. 121, p. 16, p. 194, p. 23, p. 43, p. 44, p. 45, p. 58, p. 7, p. 7, p. 81, p. 83, p. 83.
- Pamphlets on forest protection. [1900?- url p. 18.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 390, p. 617.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 11.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 194, p. 221, p. 53, p. 54, p. 55, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 253, p. 577, p. 587, p. 65, p. 684, p. 702, p. 803.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 199, p. 409.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 275, p. 74, p. 74.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 65.
- Proceedings of the New England Zoo?logical Club. [Cambridge, Mass.]: The Club, 1899- url , p. 107, p. 19, p. 19.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url , p. 113, p. 13, p. 165, p. 177, p. 179, p. 18, p. 182, p. 184, p. 19, p. 19, p. 196, p. 2, p. 2, p. 20, p. 223, p. 233, p. 236, p. 241, p. 255, p. 275, p. 298, p. 33, p. 35, p. 35, p. 351, p. 359, p. 379, p. 396, p. 399, p. 4, p. 406, p. 442, p. 493, p. 5, p. 502, p. 515, p. 529, p. 530, p. 530, p. 531, p. 532, p. 533, p. 534, p. 535, p. 536, p. 542, p. 543, p. 544, p. 546, p. 547, p. 548, p. 549, p. 550, p. 552, p. 553, p. 554, p. 555, p. 556, p. 557, p. 558, p. 561, p. 562, p. 563, p. 564, p. 565, p. 566, p. 567, p. 568, p. 569, p. 570, p. 571, p. 572, p. 573, p. 574, p. 587, p. 587, p. 614, p. 619, p. 625, p. 642, p. 651, p. 655, p. 660, p. 664, p. 67, p. 671, p. 68, p. 692, p. 693, p. 74.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 489.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 194, p. 422.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , p. 371, p. 79.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 16.
- Report of the Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. and special papers Washington: G.P.O., 1906-1914. url p. 75.
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 390, p. 617, p. 653.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 390.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 120, p. 126, p. 149.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 24.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url p. 331, p. 390, p. 617, p. 653.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 144, p. 166, p. 178.
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 465, p. 504, p. 978.
- Report upon ornithological specimens collected in the years 1871, 1872, and 1873 / U. S. Army, Engineer Dept., Geographical and Geological Explorations and Surveys West of the One hundredth Meridian; [by H.C. Yarrow and H.W. Henshaw]. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 146.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 465.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 395, p. 395, p. 396.
- Revised list of the vertebrated animals now or lately living in the gardens of the Zoological society of London. 1872. London, Printed for the Society,  url p. 234.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes / by Charles Wendell Townsend. Boston: L.C. Page & company, c1925. url p. 306.
- Sand dunes and salt marshes, Boston, D. Estes & company[c1913] url .
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1359, p. 1525.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 229, p. 229.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 235.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 328, p. 331, p. 6.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 27.
- Supplement to the code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds. adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; prepared by a Committee of the Union. New York: The Union, 1889-1920. url p. 334.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 331.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 112, p. 132, p. 145, p. 146, p. 148, p. 16, p. 171, p. 198, p. 198, p. 204, p. 21, p. 234, p. 240, p. 25, p. 257, p. 269, p. 287, p. 296, p. 30, p. 301, p. 314, p. 315, p. 326, p. 327, p. 334, p. 359, p. 364, p. 37, p. 385, p. 398, p. 402, p. 409, p. 409, p. 417, p. 420, p. 427, p. 432, p. 447, p. 452, p. 453, p. 460, p. 470, p. 475, p. 481, p. 484, p. 492, p. 495, p. 515, p. 559, p. 57, p. 572, p. 579, p. 59, p. 640, p. 8, p. 80, p. 9.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 111.
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. New York: Macmillan, 1905. url , p. 351, p. 351, p. 356, p. 359, p. 359, p. 606.
- The Bahama Islands, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1905. url p. 351, p. 359, p. 359, p. 605, p. 606.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 37.
- The British bird book: an account of all the birds, nests and eggs found in the British Isles / ed. by F.B. Kirkman. Illustrated by two hundred drawings and numerous photographs. London: T.C. & E.C. Jack, 1910-13. url p. 334, p. 550, p. 644.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 594, p. 90.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url , .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 594, p. 90.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 125.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 55 1941 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url title page, index , p. 140, p. 142, p. 169, p. 172, p. 179, p. 206, p. 211, p. 22, p. 22, p. 229, p. 24, p. 272, p. 280, p. 29, p. 423, p. 48, p. 89.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 230.
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 38 1978 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 68.
- The Journal of the Museum of Comparative Oology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: The Museum, 1919-1922 url p. 35.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 214.
- The Oo?logist for the student of birds, their nests and eggs. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886- url p. 125, p. 137, p. 6.
- The Osprey. Galesburg, Ill.: The Osprey Co., 1897-1902. url .
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 163, p. 163, p. 230, p. 230.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 91.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 18 1928 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 526.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 339.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 74.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url , , , , , p. 114, p. 120, p. 124, p. 199, p. 2, p. 21, p. 325, p. 37, p. 50, p. 53, p. 6, p. 73, p. 84, p. 9, p. 97.
- The aquatic birds of Great Britain and Ireland. London, R. H. Porter, 1906. url p. 38, p. 38, p. 583, p. 583.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 124.
- The birds of Albany County; a catalogue of the species recorded in this vicinity with notes on their lives and habits, and brief field-marks for aid in identification. Containing one plate from a water-color by William S. Barkentin; ten plates from pen and ink drawings by George Louis Richard, and eleven half-tones from photographs. Albany, N. Y.[Press of Brandow printing co.]1907. url p. 150, p. 171.
- The birds of Britain: their distribution and habits / Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press, 1916. url .
- The birds of Canada with descriptions of their habits, food, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure / by Alexander Milton Ross. Toronto: H. Rowsell, 1871. url .
- The birds of Canada: with descriptions of their habits, food, nests, eggs, times of arrival and departure. Toronto, Rowsell, 1872. url p. 134, p. 79.
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 236, p. 236.
- The birds of Devon / 1892 London: R.H. Porter, 1892. url p. 194.
- The birds of El Salvador, by Donald R. Dickey and A. J. Van Rossem. 23 1938 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1938. url fig. 11 , p. 76, p. 77.
- The birds of Erie and Presque Isle, Erie County, Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh?: s.l., 1904? url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 335.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 371, p. 724, p. 752, p. 79.
- The birds of Iowa / by Rudolph M. Anderson. Davenport, Iowa: Davenport Academy of Sciences, 1907. url p. 199, p. 409.
- The birds of Maine; with key to and description of the various species known to occur or to have occured in the state, an account of their distribution and migration, showing their relative abundance in the various count by Ora Willis Knight. .. Bangor, Me.[printed by C. H. Glass & co.]1908. url p. 133.
- The birds of Massachusetts, Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url , , .
- The birds of Massachusetts, by Reginald Heber Howe and Glover Morrill Allen. Cambridge, Mass., 1901. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 147, p. 147, p. 46, p. 46.
- The birds of New England / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870, c1867. url p. 406, p. 589.
- The birds of New England and adjacent states. ..: arranged by a long-approved classification and nomenclature. .. with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels; with an appendix containing supplementary notes. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, 1880. url p. 406, p. 589.
- The birds of New Englandand adjacent states: containing descriptions of the birds of New England. .. together with a history of their habitats. ..; with illustrations of many species of the birds, and accurate figures of their eggs / by Edward A. Samuels. Boston: Noyes, Holmes, 1870 [c1867] url p. 589.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 106.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url p. 8.
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of Washington: a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state / by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 981.
- The birds of Washington; a complete, scientific and popular account of the 372 species of birds found in the state, by William Leon Dawson, assisted by John Hooper Bowles. Illustrated by more than 300 original half-tones of birds in life, nests, eggs, and favorite haunts, from photographs by the author and others, Seattle: The Occidental Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 981.
- The birds of Wyoming, with an explanation of recent changes in their distribution; economic aspect also considered. By B. H. Grave and Ernest P. Walker. [Laramie]University of Wyoming, 1913. url p. 31.
- The birds of the Anamba Islands / by Harry C. Oberholser. Washington: G.P.O., 1917. url .
- The birds of the Anamba Islands, by Harry C. Oberholser. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1917. url p. 1.
- The birds of the British Isles and their eggs. by T.A. Coward; with 213 accurately coloured illustrations by Archibald Thorburn and others, reproduced from Lord Lilford's work Coloured figures of the birds of the British Islands, and 69 photograp London; F. Warne, 1920. url p. 366.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 208, p. 55.
- The birds of the Isle of Pines / by W. E. Clyde Todd. Pittsburgh, 1916 url p. 158, p. 183, p. 186, p. 292.
- The birds of the Leeward islands, Caribbean sea, by Charles B. Cory. .. 1 1909 Chicago, 1909. url p. 196, p. 204, p. 209.
- The birds of the Santa Marta region of Colombia: a study in altitudinal distribution. Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute, 1922 url , , , , .
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 247.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 110, p. 202.
- The development of nestling feathers, by Lynds Jones. Oberlin, Ohio, 1907. url .
- The journal of comparative neurology. [Granville, Ohio: Published by the Editors, Denison University, url p. 39, p. 90.
- The migration of birds: an attempt to reduce avian season-flight to law / by Charles Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 1892. url p. 184.
- The naturalist's guide in collecting and preserving objects of natural history: with a complete catalogue of the birds of eastern Massachusetts / by C.J. Maynard; with illustrations by E.L. Weeks. Boston: S.E. Cassino & Co., 1883, c1877. url p. 144.
- The nests and eggs of non-indigenous British birds or such species that do not breed within the British Archipelago / Charles Dixon. London: Chapman & Hall, 1894. url p. 356.
- The oist. Albion, N.Y.: Frank H. Lattin, 1886-1941. url p. 125.
- The oo?logist. Rockville, Conn.J.M. Wade, [1875-1881]. url p. 5.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 44.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 131.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill., H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 131.
- The published writings of George Newbold Lawrence, 1844-1891 / by L. S. Foster. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 84.
- The sport of bird-study / by Herbert Keightley Job; profusely illustrated with photographs from life by the author. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1908. url p. 294.
- The sportsman's British bird book / by R. Lydekker. London: Rowland Ward, 1908. url .
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London, Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 58, p. 58.
- The zoölogy of the lakes Amatitlan and Atitlan, Guatemala, with special reference to ichthyology. 7 1908 Chicago, 1908. url p. 194.
- Trails and tramps in Alaska and Newfoundland / by William S. Thomas. New York, G.P. Putnam's, 1913. url p. 268, p. 309.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin url p. 27.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 53.
- Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters. [Madison]Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 1870/72- url p. 189.
- Tropical wild life in British Guiana: zoological contributions from the Tropical research station of the New York zoological society / by William Beebe. .. G. Inness Hartley. .. and Paul G. Howes. .. with an introduction by Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. New York city: The New York zoological society, 1917- url p. 345.
- Two bird-lovers in Mexico, Boston, A. Constable & company, ltd., 1905. url .
- Two bird-lovers in Mexico, by C. William Beebe. Illustrated with photographs from life taken by the author. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1905. url p. 384.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 19, p. 214, p. 323, p. 408, p. 412, p. 67.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 11 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 171, p. 312, p. 454, p. 544, fig. 3, page 606, p. 650, p. 673, p. 682, p. 746.
- Vertebrates of Ontario, by C. W. Nash. Department of Education, Toronto. Printed by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario Toronto, L. K. Cameron, 1908 url p. 23.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 23.
- Waste-land wanderings / by Charles C. Abbott. New York; Harper & brothers, 1887. url p. 307.
- Waste-land wanderings, by Charles C. Abbott. New York, Harper & Brothers, 1887. url p. 307.
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 20.
- Wyoming birds and their value to agriculture, Laramie, Wyoming, 1916. url .
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 174.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url p. 417, p. 78.
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 65.
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Butorides virescens. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 09, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8847
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-174793
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481930
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 174793
- IUCN ID: 196552
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNGA08010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 258