Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
american tufted duck, bastard broadbill, black-head duck, blackhead, Blackjack, bunty, marsh bluebill, Masked Duck, moonbill, ring-billed blackhead, ring-billed duck, ring-neck, Ring-necked Duck, ring-necked scaup, ringbill
Common Names in French:
Fuligule , Fuligule à bec cerclé, fuligule à collier, fuligule Ã collier
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Moretta dal collare
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Pato pico anillado, Porrón Acollarado, Porrón de collar
Common Names in Swedish:
Adult Female: Face : Chin: pale Eyebrow Line : pale at base of bill Eyeline: white Postocular Stripe : thin white Neck: Throat : pale.Adult Male: Head : black with purplish gloss Shape : peaked Bill: blue-gray with black tip and broad white subterminal ring Neck: black Body: Back: black Breast: black Sides: pale gray Legs : Femorals: pale gray Tail: black.
purple on head
; gray to black bill with a white
near the tip
; cinnamon collar
on the neck (rarely visible in
); black back, upper side of wings
, and breast; gray sides
and underparts of wings; white patch
between breast and sides. Female:
brown overall; gray to black bill with white band near the
tip; white eye stripe.
Adult male alternate: Alternate plumage worn from fall through early summer · Blue bill with white ring around base , white subterminal ring, and black tip · Yellow eye · Purple head and neck · Chestnut ring around neck is not easily visible · Black breast · Gray flanks with vertical white finger at forward portion · Dark back, tail, upper- and undertail coverts · Whitish belly
Adult male basic: Similar to adult female
Adult female: Dark brown crown and pale gray-brown face , becoming whitish on lores · Dark blue-gray bill with white ring before black tip · Brown eye with narrow white eye ring · Dark brown body plumage with very dark back
About 14 to 18 inches long, with a wingspan of 24 to 30 inches. Adults weigh about 25.6 ounces .
During the non-breeding season , this duck's habitat includes the same water types as during the breeding season .
Vegetation: freshwater lakes and ponds • Maximum Elevation: 2,000 meters • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Medium
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
List of Habitats
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha) [more info]
The breeding season
begins in late May. Breeding habitat
, marshes, and swamps
. Nesting is normally
associated with water. The nest
is built of grass
and other plant
. It is either on the ground
or floating in vegetation. It
. The female lays
6-14 (usually 8-10) eggs
she incubates for 26-27 days. The male may stay
around the area while
the female incubates, but otherwise is not involved further in the
nesting. The young are precocial and are cared for by the female
for 49-56 days after hatching
- Breeding Habitat: Wetland-open water
- Clutch Size: 6-14
- Length of Incubation : 26-27 (25-29) days
- Days to Fledge : 49-56
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Wagler, 1831
- Suborder: Anseres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Wagler, 1831
- Order: Anseriformes () - Wagler, 1831
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Aythya collaris (Donovan, 1809)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 23-Jan-2007
Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Tufted Duck
Members of the genus Aythya
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 18 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. affinis (Lesser Black-Head Duck) · A. americana (Red-Headed Raft Duck) · A. australis (Hardhead Duck) · A. australis australis (Australian White-Eyed Duck) · A. baeri (Baer's White-Eye) · A. collaris (Ring-Billed Blackhead) · A. ferina (Northern Pochard) · A. ferina ferina (European Pochard) · A. fuligula (Tufted Duck) · A. innotata (Madagascar Pochard) · A. marila (Greater Black-Head Duck) · A. marila marila (Greater Scaup) · A. marila mariloides (Greater Scaup) · A. marila nearctica (Greater Scaup) · A. novaeseelandiae (New Zealand Scaup) · A. nyroca (Ferruginous Duck / White-Eyed Pochard) · A. nyroca nyroca (Ferruginous Duck / White-Eyed Pochard) · A. valisineria (Red-Headed Bullneck)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 376, p. 438, p. 455, p. 456, p. 457, p. 460, p. 510, p. 565, p. 594, p. 676.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url p. 23.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 23.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url .
- A catalogue of the birds of Indiana / by Amos W. Butler. S.l.: s.n., 1891? url p. 23, p. 23.
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 47.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 7.
- A list of the birds of Florida / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 5.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 32.
- A list of the birds of Maryland / F.C. Kirkwood. Baltimore, Md., 1895. url p. 266.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore[Deutsch Lithographing & Printing Co.]1895. url p. 266, p. 266.
- A list of the birds of Maryland: giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds, also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded / Baltimore: Deutsch Lithographing & Print. Co.; 1895. url .
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 192, p. 206, p. 74.
- A list of the birds of eastern North America / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 10.
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url p. 103.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1887. url , p. 103.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A preliminary list of the birds of Wayne County, Ohio. Columbus, Westbote Co., State Printers, 1896. url p. 343.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url .
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 49.
- A revised catalogue of the birds of Kansas: with descriptive notes of the nests and eggs of the birds known to breed in the state / Pub. under the direction of the Executive Council, May, 1886. Topeka: Kansas Publishing House, 1886. url p. 7.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 104, p. 48.
- American duck shooting, by George Bird Grinnell. .. with fifty-eight portraits of North American swans, geese and ducks by Edwin Sheppard and numerous vignettes in the text by Wilmot Townsend. New York, Forest and stream pub. co. url p. 617.
- An early pleistocene avifauna from Inglis, Florida / by Gail Elaine Speaker Carr. 1981. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 207.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 120, p. 121, p. 128, p. 149, p. 150, p. 779.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 43.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 233.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 230.
- Biologia centrali-americana: Aves / [London: R.H. Porter], 1879-1904. url .
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 102, p. x.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A. C. McClurg, 1904. url .
- Birds of Massachusetts [by] J.A. Allen. [n.p.]1864-1886. url p. 158.
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 343, p. 36.
- Birds of Michigan. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1893 url .
- Birds of Michigan. illustrated by A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 36.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity, including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia, by Mrs. L. W. Maynard, with introduction by Florence A. Merriam. .. Washington, D. C., 1898. url p. 175.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity: including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia / by Mrs. L. W. Maynard; with introduction by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, D. C.: Woodward & Lothrop, 1902. url p. 175.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 311, p. 311.
- Birds of western New York. Rochester, N.Y., The Society, 1901. url p. 22.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 233.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 221, p. 254.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1955 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 49.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 10, p. 48.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url p. 258, p. 283.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 212.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url p. 20.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 41 1902 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 46, p. 46, p. 95.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 133, p. 140, p. 159, p. 19, p. 255, p. 92.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url p. 15.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 97.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, Ottawa, Government Printing Bureau, 1909. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 97.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. Charles E. Hellmayr, Boardman Conover. 13 1948 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1948. url p. 369.
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 233.
- Check list of the birds of Ontario and catalogue of birds in the biological section of the Museum / Department of Education. Toronto: Dept. of Education, 1900. url p. 12.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 18.
- Check-list of North American birds, prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. New York, American ornithologists union, 1895. url , p. 53, p. 53, p. 53.
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 82.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 84.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 484.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 10.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 79.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Crustacea of Lake Titicaca. Cambridge, the Museum, 1876 url p. 356.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 103, p. 83.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Gulf of Mexico estuaries / project team, David M. Nelson (editor). .. [et al.]. Rockville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, - url p. 35.
- Distribution and migration of North American ducks, geese, and swans / Washington: G.P.O., 1906. url , , , .
- Eggs of North American birds by Chas. J. Maynard. Boston: De Wolfe, Fiske, 1890. url .
- Eggs of North American birds; by Chas. J. Maynard. Illustrated with ten hand-colored plates. Boston, De Wolfe, Fiske & co., 1890. url p. 23.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url , , , p. 114, p. 246, p. 286, p. 287, p. 35.
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 40.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Feathered game of New England / by Walter H. Rich; with illustrations by the author. London: G. Harrap, 1908. url p. 340.
- Feathered game of the Northeast / by Walter H. Rich; with ill. by the author. New York: T.Y. Crowell, 1907. url p. 340.
- Feathered game of the Northeast, New York, T. Y. Crowell & Co.[c1907] url .
- First report: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota, by P. L. Hatch. 1892. url p. 452, p. 62.
- Fish, wildlife and recreational values of Michigan's coastal wetlands / Twin Cities, Minn.: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Region III, 1978. url p. 191.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 531.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 51.
- Game birds and game fishes of the Pacific Coast, by H. T. Payne. With ready reference diagrams of each family, giving the scientific and common names of each genus and species, their relationship, breeding grounds and general range. Los Angeles: News Publishing Co., [c1913] url p. 79, p. 81.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 54.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America. New York, Appleton, 1907. url p. 112.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States, including the great plains, great basin, Pacific slope, and lower Rio Grande valley, by Florence Merriam Bailey, with thirty-three full-page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, and over six hundred cuts in the text. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1904. url p. 49, p. 65, p. 70.
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 85, p. 85.
- How to know the ducks, geese and swans of North America, all the species being grouped according to size and color. Boston, For sale by Little, Brown & Co.,  url , , , .
- Hunting and fishing in Florida, including a key to the water birds known to occur in the state / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url p. 161, p. 162, p. 229, p. 230.
- Hunting and fishing in Florida: including a key to the water birds known to occur in the State / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1896 [c1895] url p. 161, p. 162, p. 230.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 71.
- Insects of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands. New York, The Academy. url p. 314, p. 579.
- Invitation to birds; a few of the common birds of Illinois, an invitation to know and enjoy them. Illus. by the author. Springfield, 1948. url p. 14.
- Journal and proceedings of the Hamilton Association. [Hamilton, Ont.]: Printed for the Hamilton Association by the Spector Printing Co., -1899. url p. 80.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 924.
- Key to the water birds of Florida. Boston, Barta Press1896. url p. 29, p. 30, p. 98.
- List of North Dakota birds: found in the Big Coulee, Turtle Mountains and Devils Lake region, as noted during the years 1890 to 1896 and verified in the subsequent years to date / by Elmer T. Judd. Cando, N.D.: Published by the author, 1917. url p. 8.
- List of birds found in the vicinity of Bridgeport, Connecticut / Prepared for the Bridgeport Scientific Society by C. K. Averill, Jr., January, 1892. Bridgeport, Conn.: Buckingham & Brewer, Printers, 1892. url p. 5.
- List of birds of Dover / by Albert Pitts Morse. S.l.: s.n., 1897? url p. 3.
- List of the Astacidae in the United States National Museum. Washington, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1885 url p. 356.
- List of the birds of the New Haven Region / compiled by committee of Freeman F. Burr. .. [et al.]; advisory committee, Louis B. Bishop. New Haven, Conn: New Haven Bird Club:  url p. 30.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 15.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 137.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 247, p. 59.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 1, p. 13, p. 14, p. 51.
- Names and portraits of birds which interest gunners, with descriptions in languages understanded of the people; New York, Harper,  url .
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 141.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds: with a chapter on ornithological and oölogical collecting (the preparation of skins, nests and eggs for the cabinet). Toronto: Musson url p. 87.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 76.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 18, p. 27, p. 88, p. 88, p. 88.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1959 San Diego, The Society. url p. 9.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 40.
- Ornithology of North Carolina: A list of the birds of North Carolina, with notes of each species / [by John Washington Pearce Smithwick]. [Raleigh], 1897. url p. 204.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 35, p. 420, p. 495.
- Our wild fowl and waders, by Dwight W. Huntington. .. with twenty-four full page illustrations and a map of the wild ducks' breeding grounds. New York: The Amateur sportsman co.,  url , p. 195, p. 195.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 25.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 157, p. 19, p. 36.
- Papers presented to the World's congress on ornithology; Chicago, C. H. Sergel company, 1896. url .
- Pesticides monitoring journal. [Washington, D.C.: For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1967-1981. url p. 3, p. 67.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Principles of economic zoölogy, London, W. B. Saunders Company, 1917. url p. 286.
- Principles of economic zoölogy, by L. S. Daugherty and M. C. Daugherty. Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders, 1917. url p. 286.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , p. 217, p. 608.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, The Academy. url p. 266, p. 29, p. 578.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 118.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 328.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 206.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url .
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 9 1886 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 174, p. 195, p. 356, p. 482, p. 640, p. 647, p. 789.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 405.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 120.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 166, p. 43.
- Rapid assessment of water quality using the fingernail clam, Musculium transversum: final report / by Kevin B. Anderson and Richard E. Sparks (Illinois Natural History Survey, River Research Laboratory) and Anthony A. Paparo (School of Medicine and Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois Universit Urbana: University of Illinois, Water Resources Center, 1978. url p. 4.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 120, p. 121, p. 128, p. 146, p. 149, p. 150.
- Report of the state zoölogist. Minneapolis, 1892-1895. url p. 452, p. 62.
- Report on bird migration in the Mississippi valley in the years 1884 and 1885 / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1888. url .
- Report on the birds of Pennsylvania: with special reference to the food habits, based on over four thousand stomach examinations / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg: E.K. Meyers, State Printer, 1890. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 150 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 130, p. 150.
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 176.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 43.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 103, p. 113, p. 248, p. 284, p. 3, p. 3, p. 574, p. 626, p. 7, p. 78, p. 81.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 59.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 6, p. 9.
- The American natural history: a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America / William T. Hornaday. .. illustrated by 225 original drawings. .. 151 photographs. .. and with numerous charts and maps. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1914. url p. 173.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url , p. 125, p. 139, p. 140, p. 148, p. 149, p. 162, p. 166, p. 185, p. 191, p. 211, p. 215, p. 22, p. 234, p. 24, p. 269, p. 270, p. 286, p. 320, p. 345, p. 350, p. 350, p. 364, p. 438, p. 445, p. 451, p. 463, p. 59, p. 66, p. 74.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 63 1949 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url [fig. 1] , ball , tanguay , title page, index , , p. 10, p. 103, p. 11, p. 12, p. 130, p. 137, p. 138, p. 161, p. 168, p. 173, p. 175, p. 181, p. 182, p. 182, p. 183, p. 188, p. 196, p. 211, p. 216, p. 221, p. 229, p. 230, p. 231, p. 232, p. 235, p. 257, p. 258, p. 259, p. 26, p. 26, p. 265, p. 27, p. 296, p. 378, p. 4, p. 42, p. 51, p. 52, p. 522, p. 529, p. 536, p. 539, p. 54, p. 548, p. 553, p. 555, p. 557, p. 558, p. 6, p. 601, p. 608, p. 620, p. 676, p. 677, p. 695, p. 70, p. 71, p. 75, p. 76, p. 86, p. 88, p. 9.
- The English angler in Florida, with some descriptive notes of the game animals and birds, by Rowland Ward. London, R. Ward, limited, 1898. url p. 122.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 37 1977 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 276, p. 478, p. 480, p. 519, p. 520, p. 594, p. 730.
- The Journal of the Maine Ornithological Society. Bangor: Maine Ornithological Society, 1899-1911. url p. 78.
- The Kansas University quarterly. Lawrence, Kansas: The University. url p. 130.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 248, p. 248.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 234.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url , p. 50, p. 80.
- The avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the State [by] Geo. E. Beyer. New Orleans, La., 1900. url p. 15.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , .
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 137.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 335, p. 752.
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 619.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 613.
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , .
- The birds of Ohio; a revised catalogue, [Columbus?]Academy of Science, 1903. url .
- The birds of Ontario being a list of birds observed in the Province of Ontario, with an account of their habits, distribution, nests, eggs, &c. / by Thomas McIlwarith. Hamilton, [Ont.]: Hamilton Association, 1886. url .
- The birds of Ontario, being a list of birds observed in the province of Ontario, with an account of their habits, distribution, nests, eggs &c., by Thomas McIlwraith, for the Migration committee of the American ornithologist's union. Pub. by the Hamilton association. Hamilton, A. Lawson & co., printers, 1886. url p. 60.
- The birds of Ontario; being a concise account of every species of bird known to have been found in Ontario with a description of their nests and eggs and instructions for collecting birds and preparing and preserving skins By Thomas McIlwraith. London, T. F. Unwin, 1894. url p. 81.
- The birds of Rhode Island / by Reginald Heber Howe, and Edward Sturtevant. [S.l.: s.n.], 1899. url p. 38.
- The birds of Rhode Island n. p.c1899 url .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 38.
- The birds of Springfield and vicinity, by Robert O. Morris. Springfield, Mass., H. R. Johnson, 1901. url p. 10.
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 65.
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Bay State Pub. Co., 1900, c1899. url p. 335.
- The birds of eastern North America: known to occur east of the ninetieth meridian / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Columbian Museum, 1899. url p. 335.
- The birds of eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with introductory chapters on geographical distribution and migration, prepared under the direction of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club by Witmer Stone. Philadelphia, Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1894. url p. 57.
- The birds of the Bahama Islands: containing many birds new to the Islands, and a number of undescribed winter plumages of North American birds / by Charles B. Cory. Boston, U.S.A.: Estes & Lauriat, 1890, c1879. url .
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 43.
- The birds of the West Indies. Including all speciesknown to occur in the Bahama Islands, the Greater Antilles, the Caymans, and the Lesser Antilles, excepting the islands of Tobago and Trinidad. By Charles B. Cory. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1889. url p. 267.
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 119, p. 119, p. 119.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 187, p. 202.
- The effect of altered streamflow on migratory birds of the Yellowstone River Basin, Montana / by Tom Hinz. Helena: Water Resources Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation, 1977. url p. 101, p. 47.
- The exploitation of natural animal populations; a symposium of the British Ecological Society, Durham, 28th-31st March 1960. Edited by E. D. Le Cren and M. W. Holdgate. New York, Wiley url p. 392.
- The game birds of California / Berkeley: University of California Press, 1918. url , .
- The game birds of California. .. by Joseph Grinnell, Harold Child Bryant and Tracy Irwin Storer. 1918 Berkeley, University of California Press, 1918. url p. 164.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 312, p. 312, p. 312.
- The ornithology of Illinois / [by Robert Ridgway and S.A. Forbes]. Springfield, Ill., H.W. Rokker, printer, 1889-1895. url p. 164, p. 28.
- The ornithology of Illinois. Part I. Descriptive catalogue. By Robert Ridgway. Part II. Economic ornithology. By S. A. Forbes. Pub. by the authority of the state Legislature. Springfield, Ill.: H. W. Rokker, printer, 1889-95. url p. 164, p. 164, p. 26, p. 26, p. 28, p. 28.
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 11.
- The water-fowl family / by L. C. Sanford, L. B. Bishop and T. S. Van Dyke. New York: Macmillan, 1903. url p. 140, p. 582.
- The water-fowl family, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1903. url , , p. 140, p. 140, p. 582, p. 582, p. 582.
- Through the Mackenzie Basin: a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River Treaty Expedition of 1899 / by Charles Mair; with a map of the country ceded and numerous photographs of native life and scenery. Also, notes on the mammals and birds of northern Canada, by Roderick MacFarlane. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1908. url p. 311.
- Through the Mackenzie Basin; a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River treaty expedition of 1899, London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & co., limited, 1908. url .
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 39, p. 39, p. 39.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 88.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 166, p. 235.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Science and Literature. Baltimore: The Academy, 1837. url p. 266.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 230, p. 247.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 286.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 1 1947 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 197.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 18.
- Visitors' guide to the local collection of birds in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City: with an annotated list of the birds known to occur within fifty miles of New York City / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: Printed for the Museum, 1894. url p. 24.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 17.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 87.
- Zoe:a biological journal. San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 138, p. 138.
- Zoological series / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey, 1892-1912. url p. 452.
- Zoological series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892-1912. url p. 62.
- BirdLife International 2009. Aythya collaris. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 30January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 29, 2007:
- Avian Knowledge Network, eBird
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Ontario Nest Records
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility, Royal British Columbia Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum, NBM birds
- Royal Ontario Museum, Bird specimens
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM, CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
- , Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11739
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175128
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175128
- IUCN ID: 193773
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNJB11040
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 896