Common Names in English:
Biome: Freshwater .
This is a freshwater
non migratory species found in coastal streams
and occurs in silt
, and gravel
substrates (Clarke 1981, Nedeau et
Host fish for the glochidial include the alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) (Clarke 1981), white sucker (Catostomus commersoni), threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus), pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), and white perch (Morone americana) (Davenport and Warmuth 1965, Wiles 1975)..
List of Habitats :
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 5.5 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Freshwater Lakes (over 8ha) [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Subclass: Metabranchia ()
- Class: Bivalvia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Bivalves
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Recently, Zanatta et al. (2007) supported the monophyly of both Pyganodon and Utterbackia using mutation coding of allozyme data . The Eurasian Anodonta cygnea was resolved as the sister of the remaining ingroup taxa, including Pyganodon, Utterbackia, and the North American Anodonta. Graf and Cummings (2007) placed implicata in Pyganodon along with other eastern North American taxa; lacustris, grandis, fragilis, cataracta and gibbosa. Anodonta was restricted to western North American and Eurasian species. This indicates that futher phylogenetic analysis of the Anodontinae is required including both North American and Eurasian species. There has been some suggestion that the name Anodonta atra (Rafinesque, 1820) has priority over Anodonta implicata based on two characters from the description of A. atra. However, A. atra was described without illustration and with limited descriptive characters attributable to other Anodonta and Pyganodon species. Graf and Cummings (2007) placed atra in cataracta. With such limited information, there is insufficient evidence to justify replacing the name at this time to atra.
A list of synonyms for this species can be found on The MUSSEL project web site (Graf and Cummings 2011)..
Members of the genus Anodonta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 20 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. anatina (Duck Mussel) · A. beringiana (Yukon Floater) · A. californiensis (California Floater) · A. cataracta marginata (Gaspe Floater) · A. couperiana (Barrel Floater) · A. cygnea (Swan Mussel) · A. dejecta (Woebegone Floater) · A. gibbosa (Inflated Floater) · A. grandis (Giant Floater) · A. grandis grandis (Giant Floater) · A. grandis simpsoniana (Giant Floater) · A. heardi (Apalachicola Floater) · A. imbecillis (Paper Pondshell) · A. implicata (Alewife Floater) · A. kennerlyi (Western Floater) · A. nuttalliana (Winged Floater) · A. oregonensis (Oregon Floater) · A. peggyae (Florida Floater) · A. suborbiculata (Flat Floater) · A. wahlametensis (Willamette Papershell)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the shells, arranged according to the Lamarckian system: with their authorities, synonymes, and references to works where figured or described: together with a supplement containing additional species, corrections, and alterations / contained in the collection of John C. Jay. New York: Craighead, 1852. url p. 72.
- A descriptive catalogue of the Naiades, or pearly fresh-water mussels. Detroit, Mich., Bryant Walker, 1914. url p. 376, p. 391.
- A manual of the common invertebrate animals, exclusive of insects / by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with over one thousand illustrations. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1923. url p. 581.
- A monograph of the Najades of Pennsylvania / by Arnold E. Ortmann. Pittsburgh: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, [1911-1919] url , p. 137, p. 159.
- Agriculture of Maine: . .. annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of Maine. Augusta: [State of Maine, Dept. of Agriculture, 1903-1940.] url p. 248.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 129, p. 5.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 129, p. 5.
- American journal of conchology. Philadelphia, G.W. Tryon, jr., 1865-72. url p. 290.
- Anatomy and physiology of Anodonta fluviatilis / by George B. Simpson. Albany: New York State Museum of Natural History, 1884. url p. 173.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 206.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 99, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 395.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 23.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 172, p. 44, p. 83.
- Bibliography of North American conchology previous to the year 1860: prepared for the Smithsonian Institution / by W. G. Binney. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1863-1864. url p. 265, p. 62, p. 63.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url , p. 174, p. 187.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 309.
- Bulletin of the Brooklyn Conchological Club. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Club,  url p. 10, p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Buffalo, N.Y.: The Society, 1874- url p. 142.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 103, p. 103, p. 141.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 73.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 140 1970 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 274, p. 276, p. 279, p. 297, p. 357, p. 360, p. 361, p. 362, p. 396, descr. of plate 16, page 436, p. 99.
- Check list of the Mollusca of New York / Elizabeth J. Letson. Albany: New York State Education Dept., 1905. url p. 86, p. 87.
- Classification of wetlands and deepwater habitats of the United States / by Lewis M. Cowardin. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1979. url p. 40, p. 7.
- Crustacea. Miscellaneous. [1894-1913] url p. 313, p. 315, p. 318, p. 321.
- Descriptions of some new terrestrial and fluviatile shells of North America, 1829, 1830, 1831 / by Thomas Say. New Harmony, Ind.: [s.n.], 1840. url p. 11.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 24.
- Fauna of New England: 13. List of the mollusca / by Charles W. Johnson. Boston: Boston Society of Natural History, 1915. url p. 24.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 240.
- Handbook of invertebrate zoology. For laboratories and seaside work. BostonS.E. Cassino1882 url p. 330.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 129.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 129.
- Journal of the Portland Society of Natural History. Portland: The Society, 1864. url p. 47.
- Land and fresh water mollusks / by William H. Dall. New York: Doubleday, Page, and Company, 1905. url p. 129.
- Land and fresh water shells of Onondaga County: with a supplemental list of New York Species / prepared by W. M. Beauchamp. Baldwinsville, N.Y.: Gazette and Farmers Journal, 1886. url p. 9.
- Monograph of the naiades of Pennsylvania. .. By Arnold. E. Ortmann. Pittsburgh, Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1911-19. url p. 159, p. 364.
- Name that animal; a guide to the identification of the common land and fresh-water animals of the United States, with special reference to the area east of the Rockies. With drawings by Olive Driver. Northampton? Mass., 1950 url p. 149.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 202, p. 202.
- New York State Museum bulletin. 1905 Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 86, p. 87, p. 97.
- Notes on recent Canadian Unionidæ Montreal?: s.n., 1895? url .
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 24.
- Occasional papers on mollusks. 1 1946 Cambridge, Mass.: Dept. of Mollusks, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 1945- url p. 109, p. 110, p. 112, plate 17 (map), page 114, p. 115, p. 116, table of contents (p. viii-x), page viii, index, page x.
- Papers on Unionidae [by] Ortmann. Pittsburgh, etc., 1908-26 url p. 206.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 390, p. 399, p. 399, p. 434.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 315, p. 318.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 57.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 17.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 18 1895 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 310, p. 633.
- Protozoology, by Richard R. Kudo. .. With three hundred and thirty-six illustrations. Springfield, Ill., C.C. Thomas, 1946. url p. 624.
- Report on the Invertebrata of Massachusetts, published agreeabley to an order of the legislature. Boston, Wright and Potter, state printers, 1870. url p. 180.
- Report on the invertebrata of Massachusetts: comprising the Mollusca, Crustacea, Annelida, and Radiata / [by Augustus A. Gould] Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1841 url p. 118.
- Report on the progress and condition of the United States National Museum. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1907-1951. url p. 24.
- Shells of Maine. A catalogue of the land, fresh-water and marine Mollusca of Maine, by Norman Wallace Lermond. Thomaston, Me., pref. 1908 url p. 32, p. 32.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 5 1864 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 62, p. 63.
- Studies on the reproduction and artificial propagation of fresh-water mussels [by] George Lefevre and Winterton Conway Curtis] Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 141.
- Synopsis of the Naiades: or pearly fresh-water mussels / by Charles Torrey Simpson. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1900. url p. 633.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 128, p. 142, p. 153, p. 154, p. 161, p. 222, p. 253, p. 253, p. 348, p. 41, p. 58, p. 63, p. 64, p. 66, p. 70, p. 75, p. 92, p. 95.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 277, p. 392.
- The American journal of science. 48 1845 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 277, p. 392.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 281.
- The Annual of scientific discovery: or, Year-book of facts in science and art. Boston: Gould, Kendall, and Lincoln, 1850- url p. 348.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 325, p. 452, p. 453, p. 454, p. 77, p. 89.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 52 1938 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 112, p. 337, p. 37, p. 432, p. 735, p. 93.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 100.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal: Natural History Society, 1884-1916. url .
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 130, p. 145, p. 146, p. 30, p. 30, p. 57, p. 57, p. 65, p. 7, p. 75, p. 75, p. 84, p. 88, p. 91, p. 95, p. 95, p. 96.
- The complete writings of Thomas Say, on the conchology of the United States / edited by W.G. Binney. New York: H. Baillière, 1858. url p. 138, p. 138.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 16.
- Transactions - American Fisheries Society. Lawrence, Kan. [etc.] url p. 72, p. 73.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 56.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 75, p. 75, p. 75.
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. [Bethesda, MD, etc.: American Fisheries Society], 1900- url p. 72, p. 73.
- William Keith Brooks: a sketch of his life by some of his former pupils and associates. Philadelphia: Journal of Experimental Zoology, 1910. url p. 33.
- William Keith Brooks; a sketch of his life by some of his former pupils and associates. Philadelphia, 1910 url p. 33.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 202.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 31, 2012.
- Cummings, K. & Cordeiro, J. 2011. Anodonta implicata. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 30January2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 28, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 4 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 28, 2008:
- Academy of Natural Sciences: Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen: Biologiezentrum Linz
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Mollusc Collection - Unionoida
- National Museum of Natural History: NMNH Invertebrate Zoology Collections
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2692492
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-79941
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 79941
- IUCN ID: 191263
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: IMBIV04080
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 14914