Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
bicolored blackbird, marsh blackbird, red-and-buff-shouldered blackbird, red-shouldered blackbird, Red-shouldered Starling, red-wing, Red-winged Blackbird, red-winged blackbird redpoll, Red-winged Oriole, Red-winged Starling, Swamp Blackbird
Common Names in French:
Carouge , carouge à épaulettes, carouge Ã Ã©paulettes
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Adult Female: Head : Crown: brown Face : dusky tan Eyebrow Line : broad, dusky tan Malar : thin brown mark Postocular Stripe : dark brown Body: Underparts: dusky white with heavy brown streaks Upperparts: brown with dark streaks.Adult Male: Tail: black.
The male is completely black except for a red shoulder
with a narrow, yellow horizontal bar
at the base
of the patch. The
female is brown above and has vertical
brown and buff streaks below.
Adult male: Bright red patch on wings bordered by yellow (border missing in some races) · Black plumage · Immature male similar to adult male but has pale supercilium and brown edges to black feathers
Adult female: Pale supercilium · Heavily streaked underparts · Upperparts brown and white · Sometimes has yellow tinge to face and throat · Females very dark in some races · Juveniles similar to adult females
About 7.5 to 9.5 inches long, with a wingspan of 12 to 14.5 inches. Adults weigh about 2.3 ounces .
The Red-winged Blackbird inhabits both wetland areas, such as freshwater and saltwater marshes, and dry upland areas, such as meadow, prairies, and old fields .
Vegetation: freshwater marshes, saltwater and brackish marshes, arid lowland scrubs, riparian thickets • Maximum Elevation: 3,000 meters • Foraging Strata: Midstory • Center of Abundance: Middle montane: mountains, middle range, 1,600-2,600 m. • Sensitivity to Disturbance: Low
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,911 meters (0 to 9,551 feet).
List of Habitats
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.4 Wetlands (inland) - Bogs , Marshes, Swamps , Fens , Peatlands
- 14 Artificial/Terrestrial
- 14.1 Artificial/Terrestrial - Arable Land
- 14.2 Artificial/Terrestrial - Pastureland [more info]
During the breeding season , it forages primarily on insects and other invertebrates . During the winter months it feeds primarily on grains. Large foraging flocks are common during winter and, less commonly, during the summer away from the breeding territories. Large migratory flocks may be observed during fall and early spring . Predation of eggs and nestlings is common.
lasts from February through August. The birds commonly
or prairie habitat
. The female builds a cup-shaped
nest about 1-2 m
) above ground
or water. She weaves the nesting
, usually grasses or reeds, into several upright cattails,
reeds, or grasses for support
. The female lays
3 - 4 greenish-blue
with brown spots, which she incubates for 11 days. Young are
altricial. Both parents feed
insects and insect larvae to the nestlings
for 14 days. Then the young fledge
from the nest. Red-winged Blackbirds
are often polygamous.
- Breeding Habitat: Wetland-open water
- Nest Location: Ground-low nesting
- Nest Type: Open-cup
- Clutch Size: 3-4
- Length of Incubation : 10-12 days
- Days to Fledge: 11-14
- Number of Broods: 2, occasionally 3
Nest predators include birds, snakes , and the Raccoon.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Suborder: Passeres () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) C. Linnaeus, 1766
- Order: Passeriformes () - C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Passerimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Agelaius phoeniceus (Linnaeus, 1766)
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 11-Oct-2007
Members of the genus Agelaius
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 19 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. assimilis (Red-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. cyanopus (Unicoloured Blackbird) · A. cyanopus cyanopus (Unicoloured Blackbird) · A. flavus (Saffron-Cowled Blackbird) · A. humeralis (Tawny-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. humeralis humeralis (Tawny-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. icterocephalus (Yellow-Hooded Blackbird) · A. icterocephalus icterocephalus (Yellow-Hooded Blackbird) · A. phoeniceus (Red-And-Buff-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. phoeniceus arctolegus (Red-Winged Blackbird) · A. phoeniceus phoeniceus (Red-Winged Blackbird) · A. ruficapillus (Chestnut-Capped Blackbird) · A. ruficapillus ruficapillus (Chestnut-Capped Blackbird) · A. thilius (Yellow-Winged Blackbird) · A. thilius thilius (Yellow-Winged Blackbird) · A. tricolor (Red-And-White-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. xanthomus (Yellow-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. xanthomus xanthomus (Yellow-Shouldered Blackbird) · A. xanthophthalmus (Yellow-Eyed Blackbird)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Florida sketch-book by Bradford Torrey BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company[c1894] url p. 97, p. 98.
- A Florida sketch-book, BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company, 1894. url p. 97.
- A biological investigation of the Hudson Bay region. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. url .
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 239, p. 241, p. 290, p. 319.
- A catalogue of the birds of Indiana / by Amos W. Butler. S.l.: s.n., 1891? url p. 66.
- A catalogue of the birds of the Virginias / by Wm. C. Rives. Newport, R.I.: Printed for the Society by T.T. Pitman, 1890. url p. 70.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and higher cryptogams, both native and introduced, found within about thirty miles of Hanover, N. H., including a few cultivated species, to which is appended a list of vertebrate animals of the same region. By Henry Jesup. [Hanover?]Printed for the Author, 1891. url p. 72.
- A checklist of the vertebrate animals of Kansas / George D. Potts, Joseph T. Collins. [Lawrence, Kan.]: Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas, 1991. url p. 16.
- A comparison of the animal communities of coniferous and deciduous forests, Urbana, Ill., c1927 url p. 116.
- A distributional list of the birds of Arizona / Hollywood, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1914. url .
- A faunal investigation of Prince Edward County, Ontario / Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1941. url p. 83.
- A faunal investigation of the Sault Ste. Marie region, Ontario / [Toronto]: Royal Ontario Museum, 1942. url p. 147.
- A faunal investigation of western Rainy River District, Ontario / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1938. url p. 207.
- A first book upon the birds of Oregon and Washington; a pocket guide and pupil's assistant in a study of most of the land birds and a few of the water birds of these states. By William Rogers Lord. Portland, Ore., W. R. Lord, 1913 [c1902] url p. 274.
- A geographic classification of Neotropical mammals. 36 1958 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1958. url p. 621.
- A guide to the birds of New England and eastern New York; containing a key for each season and short descriptions of over 250 species, with particular reference to their appearance in the field, by Ralph Huffmann...with four full page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and nearly 100 cuts in the text. BostonHoughton, Mifflin and company1904 url p. 353.
- A hand-list of British birds, with an account of the distribution of each species in the British Isles and abroad. By Ernst Hartert, F. C. R. Jourdain, N. F. Ticehurst and H. F. Withersby. London, Witherby, 1912. url p. 219.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 158, p. 159, p. 163.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url .
- A list of the birds of Florida / by Charles B. Cory. Boston: For sale by B. Whidden, 1896. url p. 16.
- A list of the birds of Maine, showing their distribution by counties and their status in each county. Prepared under the auspices of the United ornithologists of Maine by Ora W. Knight. .. Augusta, Kennebec journal print, 1897. url p. 158, p. 161, p. 87.
- A list of the birds of Maryland, giving dates of the arrival, departure and nesting periods of our regular birds; also including stragglers and such others as no doubt occur but are not recorded. By F.C. Kirkwood. .. Baltimore[Deutsch Lithographing & Printing Co.]1895. url p. 322.
- A list of the birds of New Hampshire. By Glover M. Allen Manchester, N.H., Nature press, 1903. url p. 129, p. 54.
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url p. 620.
- A manual of the vertebrate animals of the northern United States, including the district north and east of the Ozark mountains, south of the Laurentian hills, north of the southern boundary of Virgini by David Starr Jordan. Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1910. url p. 279.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada, by Thomas Nuttall. Boston, Little, Brown, 1903. url p. 417.
- A practical handbook of British birds, edited by H.F. Witherby. .. London, Witherby, 1920-24. url p. 519, p. 519.
- A preliminary catalog of the birds of Missouri / St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis, 1907. url .
- A preliminary list of the birds found in Vermont / by George H. Perkins; assisted by Clifton D. Howe. Albany: Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1901. url , p. 108.
- A preliminary list of the birds of Wayne County, Ohio. Columbus, Westbote Co., State Printers, 1896. url p. 251.
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A preliminary study of the distribution, food and reproductive capacity of some fresh-water amphipods. By George C. Embody. Leipzig, 1912. url p. 30.
- A reprint of the North American zoology, by George Ord. Being an exact reproduction of the part originally compiled by Mr. Ord for Johnson & Warner, and first published by them in their 2d American ed. of Guthrie's geography, in 1815. Taken Haddonsfield, N.J., Pub. by the editor, 1894. url p. 53.
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 13.
- A treatise on zoology London, A. and C. Black, 1900-1909 url p. 263.
- A treatise on zoology. London, Adam and Charles Black, 1900-1909 url p. 263.
- Abstract of proceedings of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club of Philadelphia. [Philadelphia]Delaware Valley Ornithological Club. url p. 18, p. 2, p. 22, p. 27, p. 6.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York City, for the official year. . [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932] url p. 14.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 102, p. 221.
- An ecological survey in northern Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Chas. C. Adams. A report from the University museum, University of Michigan, published by the state Board of geological survey as a part of the report for 1905. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford co., state printers, 1906. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 124, p. 124.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Animal life in the Yosemite; an account of the mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians in a cross-section of the Sierra Nevada, by Joseph Grinnell and Tracy Irwin Storer. .. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1924. url , , p. 400, p. 400, p. 743, p. 743.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 566, p. 605.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 104, p. 108, p. 113, p. 126, p. 687, p. 85.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 20 1909 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 163.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url , p. 210.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 211.
- Annual report of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. .. Harrisburg, Pa.: The Dept., 1896- url p. 98.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 50.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 317, p. 399.
- Appendices A-E: terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River NPL sites. Helena?, Mont.: Dept. of Justice?, 1995 url .
- Baby bird-finder. .. by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. .. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904-06. url p. 31.
- Baby pathfinder to the birds; a pocket guide to one hundred and ten land birds of New England, with blank pages for notes, by Harriet E. Richards and Emma G. Cummings. Boston, Mass., W.A. Butterfield, 1904. url .
- Biltmore lectures on sylviculture / by C. A. Schenck. Albany, N.Y.: Brandow Printing Co., 1907. url p. 21.
- Bird blow flies (Protocalliphora) in North America (Diptera: Calliphoridae), with notes on the Palearctic species / Curtis W. Sabrosky, Gordon F. Bennett, and Terry L. Whitworth. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, c1989. url p. 231.
- Bird guide. from parrots to bluebirds / by Chester A. Reed. Worcester: Reed, 1906. url p. 55.
- Bird homes. The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds, New York, Doubleday & McClure Co., 1900. url , .
- Bird homes: The nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page & Co., 1903. url , .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States, with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday & McClure, 1920, c1904. url .
- Bird homes: the nests, eggs, and breeding habits of the land birds breeding in the eastern United States; with hints on the rearing and photographing of young birds / New York: Doubleday, Page, 1905, c1904. url , , .
- Bird neighbors. An introductory acquaintance with one hundred and fifty birds commonly found in the gardens, meadows, and woods about our homes. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page, 1916. url .
- Bird populations in east central Illinois: fluctuations, variations, and development over a half-century / Champaign: University of Illinois Press, c1982. url p. 133.
- Bird studies; an account of the land birds of eastern North America, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. url .
- Bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / by Frank M. Chapman; with seventy-five full-page colored plates after drawings by Ernest Thompson Seton. New York: D. Appleton, 1901. url p. 189.
- Bird-life; a guide to the study of our common birds, by Frank M. Chapman. .. With seventy-five full-page colored plates after drawings by Ernest Seton Thompson. New York, D. Appleton and co., 1919 [c1901] url p. 189.
- Birdcraft: a field book of two hundred song, game, and water birds / New York: Macmillan, 1900. url .
- Birdcraft; a field book of two hundred song, game, and water birds, by Mabel Osgood Wright. .. With eighty full-page plates by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. London: The Macmillan company, 1897. url p. 315.
- Birds and fishes. By H. H. Kopman. New Orleans, American Printing Co., Ltd., 1904 url p. 18.
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 31.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. New York, The University Society, 1923. url , p. 248.
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A. C. McClurg, 1904. url .
- Birds of Massachusetts and other New England states / [Norwood, Ma.: Printed by Berwick and Smith Company], 1925-1929 url .
- Birds of Michigan. By A. J. Cook. Lansing, Mich., R. Smith & co., state printers and binders, 1893 url p. 251, p. 302.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url , .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 606, p. 687, p. 689.
- Birds of New York Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14 url p. 687.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url p. 637.
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 108, p. 129.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity, including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia, by Mrs. L. W. Maynard, with introduction by Florence A. Merriam. .. Washington, D. C., 1898. url p. 197.
- Birds of Washington and vicinity: including adjacent parts of Maryland and Virginia / by Mrs. L. W. Maynard; with introduction by Florence Merriam Bailey. Washington, D. C.: Woodward & Lothrop, 1902. url p. 203.
- Birds of eastern Canada / Ottawa: J. de L. Tache?, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa: J. de Labroquerie Taché, 1919. url .
- Birds of eastern Canada / by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey, 1919. url p. 273.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P. A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Tache?, printer, 1919. url p. 273.
- Birds of eastern Canada, by P.A. Taverner. Ottawa, J. de L. Taché, Printer, 1919. url p. 158, p. 273.
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url , .
- Birds of lakeside and prairie, by Edward B. Clark, with sixteen illustrations in color. 1901 Chicago, A.W. Mumford url index, page 147, p. 147.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden, a study in migration, Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 231.
- Birds of the Boston Public Garden: a study in migration / by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co.; 1909. url p. 231, p. 89.
- Birds of the Boston Public garden, a study in migration, by Horace Winslow Wright; with an introduction by Bradford Torrey and illustrations. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin co., 1909. url p. 231.
- Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island = (Ptitsy Chukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya) / L.A. Portenko; translated from Russian [by P.M. Rao]. New Delhi: Published for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C., by Amerind Pub. Co., 1981- url p. 143.
- Birds of the Kansas City region / [St. Louis, Mo.: Academy of Sciences of St. Louis]1919. url , , .
- Birds of the Kansas City region [by] Harry Harris. [St. Louis, Mo.]1919. url p. 285, p. 285, p. 286, p. 287.
- Birds of the Marshall Field Peruvian Expedition, 1922-1923, by John T. Zimmer. .. 17 1930 Chicago, 1930. url p. 435.
- Birds of the New York city region, by Ludlow Griscom, assistant curator of ornithology, with the cooperation of the Linnæan society of New York. .. New York, The Museum, 1923. url p. 247.
- Birds of the Pacific slope of Los Angeles County: a list with brief notes / [Pasadena, Calif.: Pasadena Academy of Sciences], 1898 url .
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 331.
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, by Austin C. Apgar. New York, American book company[c1898] url p. 397.
- Birds of the West, an account of the lives and the labors of our feathered friends. Fremont, Neb., Hammond & Stephens, c1907. url , .
- Birds of the West; an account of the lives and the labors of our feathered friends. Fremont, Neb., Hammond & Stephens co., 1907. url .
- Birds of village and field: a bird book for beginners, by Florence A. Merriam. Illustrated. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1898. url p. 399.
- Birds of western New York. Rochester, N.Y., The Society, 1901. url p. 43.
- Birds the world over, as shown in habitat groups in Chicago Natural History Museum [by] Austin L. Rand, curator, Division of Birds, and Emmet R. Blake, associate curator, Division of Birds. [Chicago]1954. url p. 20.
- Birds. Collected excerpts from v. 10 of Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. [n. p., 19--?] url .
- Birds: their photographs and home life / by A. H. Cordier. .. with 145 illustrations from photographs of wild birds, by the author. Philadelphia: Dorrance, c1923. url p. 159, p. 159.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 10 1968 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 21, p. 27, p. 4.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url , p. 383.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1970 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 106, p. 14, p. 190, p. 190, p. 207, p. 303, p. 31, p. 313, p. 329, p. 34, p. 95.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 347.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 102, p. 111, p. 114, p. 148, p. 152, p. 28.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 306, p. 76.
- Bulletin / Vermont Bird Club. [Rutland, Vt.]: The Club, 1906-1914 url p. 39, p. 9.
- Bulletin of the Bird Club of Princeton University. Princeton, N.J.: The Club, 1901. url , p. 17, p. 31.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url , p. 217, p. 224, p. 225, p. 241, p. 244.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. 1913 [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url p. 9.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 81.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 131, p. 187, p. 220, p. 254, p. 255, p. 313, p. 362.
- Cassinia. Philadelphia: Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901- url , p. 33, p. 46, p. 48, p. 52, p. 63, p. 65, p. 65, p. 66, p. 73, p. 83, p. 83, p. 87.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds / by John Macoun and James M. Macoun. Ottawa: Canada Dept. of Mines, Geological Survey Branch, 1909. url p. 428.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 428.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History. by Charles E. Hellmayr. 13 1937 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1937. url p. 165, p. 170.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 251.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British Museum (Natural History) London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 379.
- Check list of New York birds, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1900. url , .
- Check list of New York birds, by Marcus S. Farr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1900. url p. 317, p. 399.
- Check list of the birds of Ontario and catalogue of birds in the biological section of the Museum / Department of Education. Toronto: Dept. of Education, 1900. url p. 39.
- Check list of the vertebrates of Ontario and catalogue of specimens in the biological section of the Provincial museum. Birds. Toronto, L. K. Cameron, printer to the king's most excellent Majesty, 1905. url p. 58.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 140, p. 155, p. 171, p. 19, p. 29, p. 484, p. 71, p. 97.
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 303, p. 304, p. 305, p. 392, p. 479, p. 485, p. 502, p. 503, p. 506, p. 517.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url , , , , , , .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 526, p. 527, p. 528, p. 657, p. 659, p. 662, p. 663, p. 668, p. 674, p. 675, p. 677, p. 680, p. 685.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 723, p. 805.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 168, p. 172.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 33.
- Color key to North American birds, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1903. url .
- Compendium of natural features information / Baltimore: The Department, 1975. url p. 169, p. 174.
- Conservation of marine birds of northern North America: papers from the international symposium held at the Seattle Hyatt House, Seattle, Washington, 13-15 May 1975 / edited by James C. Bartonek and David N. Nettleship; sponsored by Natural Resources Council of America. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1979. url p. 159.
- Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan, 1891. url p. 56.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 115, p. 757.
- Directory to the birds of Eastern North America. .. West Newton, 1918. url p. 200.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 112.
- Evolution of the colors of North American land birds / by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1893. url p. 185, p. 254, p. 255.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 11.
- Exposure of marine birds to environmental pollutants / by Harry M. Ohlendorf, Robert W. Risebrough, Kees Vermeer. Washington: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, 1978. url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 141, p. 18, p. 237, p. 283, p. 33, p. 41, p. 442, p. 53.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 37.
- Familiar features of the roadside; the flowers, shrubs, birds, and insects. By F. Schuyler Mathews. .. With. .. drawings by the author, and many of the songs of our common birds and insects. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url .
- Fauna of New England, 11: list of the aves / by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 138, p. 139, p. 7.
- Fauna of New England. List of the Araneida. Boston, For Society, 1908. url .
- Fauna of New England. by Glover M. Allen. Boston: Society of Natural History, 1909. url p. 138.
- Field notes on amphibians, reptiles and birds of northern Humboldt County, Nevada, with a discussion of some of the faunal features of the region, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1912. url .
- Final environmental impact statement: proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary / Albany, N.Y.: The Department,  url p. 57.
- First report of the Michigan Academy of Science: covering the time from the organization of the Academy in 1894 to June 30, 1899 / by Walter B. Barrows; prepared under the direction of the Council. Lansing, Mich.: R. Smith, 1900. url p. 163.
- First report of the state zoo?logist: accompanied with Notes on the birds of Minnesota / by P.L. Hatch, Henry F. Nachtrieb, state zoo?logist. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota: 1892. url p. 450, p. 467.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url p. 530.
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 49, p. 74, p. 90.
- Genera insectorum / publiés par P. Wytsman. Bruxelles, L. Desmet-Verteneuil [etc.]1902-1970. url p. 12.
- Gleanings from nature / J. Warren Jacobs. Waynesburg, Pa.: Independent Book & Job Office, 1898- url p. 10.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url fig. 64, page 182, p. 200, p. 212, p. 218, p. 222, p. 226, p. 228, p. 229, p. 262.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 276.
- Habit and instinct by C. Lloyd Morgan. London; E. Arnold, 1896. url p. 220.
- Handbook of birds of eastern North America / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton, 1904. url p. 419.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 290.
- History of Pasadena, comprising an account of the native Indian, Pasadena, Cal., Pasadena history company, 1895. url p. 596.
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 398.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 81.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 109, p. 114, p. 25, p. 78.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 6 1986 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 13, p. 94.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 170, p. 185, p. 32.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 111, p. 202, p. 207, p. 607.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1894. url .
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann...and Howard Walton Clark... [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 645.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 385.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 120.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url .
- Legislation for the protection of birds other than game birds / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1900. url .
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles, with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs, Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url .
- List of birds found in the vicinity of Bridgeport, Connecticut / Prepared for the Bridgeport Scientific Society by C. K. Averill, Jr., January, 1892. Bridgeport, Conn.: Buckingham & Brewer, Printers, 1892. url p. 13.
- List of birds resident in summer near the city of Baltimore. url , p. 130.
- Louisiana herpetology, with a checklist of the batrachians and reptiles of the state and the avifauna of Louisiana, with an annotated list of the birds of the state / by George E. Beyer. New Orleans: [s.n.]1900. url p. 31.
- Lund easement baseline biological inventory / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2001 url .
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url maps 119-120, page 226, p. 227, p. 258, p. 266, p. xviii.
- Michigan bird life, a list of all the bird species known to occur in the state together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, wtih special reference to its relation t [Lansing]Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url .
- Michigan bird life: a list of all the bird species known to occur in the State together with an outline of their classification and an account of the life history of each species, with special reference to its relation t by Walter Bradford Barrows. Lansing: Michigan Agricultural College, 1912. url p. 439.
- Migration of birds. by Frederick C. Linclon; revised by Steven R. Peterson; associate editor Peter A. Anastasi; illustrated by Bob Hines. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1979. url p. 115.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1960 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 5, p. 51, p. 55.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 104, p. 108, p. 113, p. 126.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 71, p. 75.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 71, p. 75.
- Natural history. New York: American Museum of Natural History. url p. 165.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds / Columbus, [Ohio]: Landon Press, c1898. url .
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 82, p. 85.
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 238.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url , p. 120, p. 255, p. 50.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1978 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 24.
- Our living resources: a report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of U.S. plants, animals, and ecosystems / [edited by], Edward T. LaRoe. .. [et al.]. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1995. url p. 299, p. 303, p. 487.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url , .
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by the Montana Bird Distribution Committee. [Helena, MT]:Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1996 url p. 111.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 103, p. 112, p. 47, p. 47, p. 69, p. 69, p. 9, p. 9.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Maryland. [1900?- url p. 301.
- Postilla. 1968 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url fig. 1 , p. 11.
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url .
- Problems of genetics, by William Bateson. New Haven, Conn., Yale University Press, 1916[c1913]. url p. 120.
- Problems of genetics. New HavenYale University Press1913 url p. 120.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 359.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 370, p. 402, p. 511, p. 596.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 183, p. 183, p. 296, p. 416.
- Proceedings of the Manchester Institute of Arts and Sciences. Manchester, N.H.: The Institute, 1900-1911. url p. 154.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 69, p. 70, p. 83.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 154.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 125, p. 57.
- Publication. Field Museum of Natural History. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1910-1943. url , p. 186, p. 555.
- Publications in zoology = Publications en zoologie. Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1970-1982. url p. 139, p. 15, p. 20, p. 62, p. 68.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1900-1904. url p. 163.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and financial report of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents for the year ending June 30. .. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1933-1965. url p. 127, p. 135, p. 156.
- Report of the state zoölogist. Minneapolis, 1892-1895. url p. 467.
- Report on the birds of Pennsylvania: with special reference to the food habits, based on over four thousand stomach examinations / by B.H. Warren. Harrisburg: E.K. Meyers, State Printer, 1890. url .
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 129.
- Research on fish and wildlife habitat / technical editor, William T. Mason, consulting editor, Sam Iker. Washington, D.C.Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1982. url p. 189.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 134.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 464.
- Selected vertebrate endangered species of the seacoast of the United States / prepared by National Fish and Wildlife Laboratory, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. [Washington]: The Service: [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.], 1980. url p. 4.
- Sex and internal secretions. Contributors: A. Albert [and others] Foreword by George W. Corner. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1961. url p. 1360.
- Significance of white markings in birds of the order Passeriformes / Berkeley: The University Press, 1910. url .
- Smithsonian year. 1965 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965-1976. url p. 184.
- Social feeding behavior of birds. 36 1954 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1954. url p. 7.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 449, p. 516.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url , , , p. 1, p. 1, p. 134, p. 17, p. 2, p. 2, p. 27, p. 3, p. 3, p. 6, p. 6, p. 8.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 125.
- Summer birds of Flathead Lake / by P.M. Silloway. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901. url .
- Supplement to the birds of Essex County, Massachusetts / Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1920. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 18, p. 23, p. 32, p. 37.
- Teachers' manual of bird-life: a guide to the study of our common birds / by Frank M. Chapman. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1899. url p. 189.
- Technical publication / New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The College, 1914- url p. 235, p. 347.
- Terrestrial resources injury assessment report: upper Clark Fork River Basin / [S.l.: RCG/Hagler, Bailly, Inc.?, 1995 url .
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 109, p. 11, p. 22, p. 227, p. 242, p. 308, p. 61, p. 70.
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 68.
- The Burgess bird book for children, by Thornton W. Burgess, with illustrations in color by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. 1919 Boston: Little, Brown, and company, 1919. url index, page 343.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 35 1921 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , title page, index , , , title page, index , title page, index , title page, index, v.63 , fargo & van tyne , title page, index , judd , title page, index , snyder & lapworth , fig. 2 , title page, index , title page, index , title page, index , , , p. 100, p. 11, p. 112, p. 114, p. 116, p. 119, p. 119, p. 12, p. 122, p. 127, p. 130, p. 136, p. 137, p. 139, p. 141, p. 141, p. 143, p. 147, p. 148, p. 153, p. 155, p. 16, p. 163, p. 164, p. 167, p. 169, p. 170, p. 171, p. 171, p. 172, p. 177, p. 179, p. 179, p. 181, p. 183, p. 183, p. 183, p. 187, p. 195, p. 197, p. 198, p. 201, p. 208, p. 209, p. 210, p. 210, p. 211, p. 211, p. 213, p. 219, p. 23, p. 23, p. 237, p. 244, p. 252, p. 255, p. 259, p. 265, p. 265, p. 270, p. 271, p. 274, p. 284, p. 29, p. 30, p. 301, p. 305, p. 319, p. 322, p. 346, p. 347, p. 353, p. 357, p. 371, p. 376, p. 38, p. 38, p. 383, p. 386, p. 393, p. 394, p. 399, p. 404, p. 406, p. 408, p. 42, p. 421, p. 424, p. 425, p. 43, p. 430, p. 434, p. 44, p. 458, p. 464, p. 47, p. 471, p. 478, p. 482, p. 487, p. 489, p. 490, p. 492, p. 499, p. 5, p. 500, p. 502, p. 515, p. 516, p. 518, p. 521, p. 522, p. 527, p. 528, p. 53, p. 530, p. 530, p. 549, p. 554, p. 555, p. 593, p. 60, p. 611, p. 612, p. 618, p. 627, p. 633, p. 637, p. 64, p. 64, p. 64, p. 650, p. 652, p. 661, p. 661, p. 67, p. 671, p. 678, p. 68, p. 681, p. 69, p. 695, p. 7, p. 716, p. 725, p. 731, p. 734, p. 75, p. 758, p. 79, p. 9, p. iii.
- The Ecology of arboreal folivores: a symposium held at the Conservation and Research Center, National Zoological Park, Smithsonian Institution, May 29-31, 1975 / Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1978. url p. 112.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 28 1968 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url misc., page 200, p. 231, p. 250, p. 306, p. 486, p. 499, p. 519, p. 652, p. 68, p. 69, p. 77.
- The Iowa ornithologist. [Salem, Iowa]: David L. Savage, 1894-98. url p. 39.
- The Nidiologist. Alameda, Calif.: Henry Reed Taylor, [1893-1895] url p. 144.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 375, p. 43.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 598, p. 708, p. 732, p. 732.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 107, p. 234.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1258, p. 1278, p. 1283, p. 1371, p. 150, p. 151, p. 245, p. 902.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 89.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Society, 1894- url , , p. 100, p. 11, p. 116, p. 125, p. 125, p. 14, p. 144, p. 20, p. 209, p. 22, p. 22, p. 23, p. 3, p. 54, p. 54, p. 66, p. 7, p. 7, p. 81, p. 83, p. 85, p. 86, p. 90, p. 93.
- The Wilson quarterly. Oberlin, Ohio: Wilson Ornithological Chapter of the Agassiz Association, [1892- url p. 12.
- The birds of Albany County; a catalogue of the species recorded in this vicinity, with notes on their lives and habits, and brief field-marks for aid in identification, Albany, N. Y.[Press of Brandow Printing Company, c1907.] url .
- The birds of Amherst and vicinity, including nearly the whole of Hampshire county, Massachusetts. Amherst, Mass., Press of Carpenter & Morehouse, 1906. url p. 69.
- The birds of Amherst and vicinity: including nearly the whole of Hampshire County, Massachusetts / Amherst, Mass.: Carpenter & Morehouse, 1906. url .
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , .
- The birds of Connecticut, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url .
- The birds of Connecticut, by John Hall Sage and Louis Bennett Bishop, assisted by Walter Parks Bliss. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1913. url p. 190.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 245.
- The birds of Fergus County, Montana / by P. M. Silloway. Lewistown, Mont.: Press of the Argus, 1903. url p. 45, p. 73.
- The birds of Illinois and Wisconsin / by Charles B. Cory. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1909. url p. 557, p. 751.
- The birds of Indiana. A descriptive catalogue of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, Indiana Dept. of Geology and Natural Resources, 1898 url p. 1176, p. 893.
- The birds of Indiana: a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits / by Amos W. Butler. Indianapolis: W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url p. 1182, p. 893.
- The birds of Indiana; a descriptive catalog of the birds that have been observed within the state, with an account of their habits. Indianapolis, W. B. Burford, Contractor for State Printing, 1898 url , .
- The birds of Montreal, Montreal, W. Drysdale & co., 1896. url p. 91.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url , p. 210.
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , , , , , .
- The birds of Ohio; a complete scientific and popular description of the 320 species of birds found in the state, Columbus, The Wheaton Publishing Co., 1903, [c1902] url , , .
- The birds of Rhode Island. [n. p.]1899. url p. 67.
- The birds of Somerset Hills / by John Dryden Kuser. [New Jersey]: Published by the author, 1912 url p. 139.
- The birds of Springfield and vicinity / Springfield, Mass.: Henry R. Johnson, l901. url .
- The birds of Texas; an annotated check list, Waco, Tex., The University, 1912. url .
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 248.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url , .
- The birds of eastern North America known to occur east of the nineteenth meridian. .. by Charles B. Cory. .. Chicago, Special edition printed for the Field Columbian museum, 1899. url p. 222, p. 223.
- The birds of eastern North America: with original descriptions of all the species which occur east of the Mississippi River, between the Arctic circle and the Gulf of Mexico, with full notes upon their habits, etc., / by C.J. Maynard... Newtonville, Mass.: C.J. Maynard & co., 1896. url p. 698.
- The birds of eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with introductory chapters on geographical distribution and migration, prepared under the direction of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club by Witmer Stone. Philadelphia, Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1894. url p. 177.
- The birds of the Cambridge region of Massachusetts. Cambridge, Mass., The Club, 1906. url .
- The birds of the Chicago area / [Chicago, Jennings and Graham], 1907. url , .
- The birds of the Chicago area, by Frank Morley Woodruff. .. [Chicago, Printed by Jennings and Graham]1907. url p. 123.
- The birds of the Lake St. Martin region, Manitoba / [Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum of Zoology], 1937. url p. 44.
- The book of birds, common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw. Illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; with chapters of "Encouraging birds around the home, " by F. H. Kennard; "The mysteries of bird migratio 1918 Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, 1918. url figure , p. 61.
- The book of birds: common birds of town and country and American game birds / Washington, D. C.: National Geographic Society, c1921. url .
- The book of birds; common birds of town and country and American game birds, by Henry W. Henshaw; illustrated in natural colors with 250 paintings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Washington, D.C., National geographic society url p. 61.
- The changing Illinois environment: critical trends: technical report of the Critical Trends Assessment Project. Springfield, Ill.: Ill. Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, 1994. url p. 150.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 112, p. 148, p. 156, p. 170, p. 22.
- The ecology of Tijuana Estuary, California: a national estuarine research reserve / by Joy B. Zedler, Christopher S. Nordby and Barbara E. Kus. [Washington, D.C.: NOAA Office of Coastal Resource Management, Sanctuaries and Reserves Division], 1992. url p. 43.
- The ecology of delta marshes of coastal Louisiana: a community profile / by James G. Gosselink. Washington, DC: National Coastal Ecosystems Team, Division of Biological Services, Research Development, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior: 1984. url p. 133.
- The eggs of European birds / by Francis C.R. Jourdain. London: R.H. Porter, 1906. url p. 43.
- The land-birds and game-birds of New England; with descriptions of the birds, their nests and eggs, their habits and notes, with illustrations; by H. D. Minot. .. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1895. url p. 490.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 37.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, by Geo. M. Thomson. Cambridge [Eng.]: The University Press, 1922. url p. 164.
- The naturalist of the Saint Croix. Memoir of George A. Boardman. A selection from his correspondence and published writings, notices of friends and contemporaries, with his list of the birds of Maine and New Brunswick. By Samuel Lane Boardman... Bangor, Priv. print., 1903. url p. 305, p. 305.
- The published writings of George Newbold Lawrence, 1844-1891 / by L. S. Foster. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1892. url p. 39, p. 61.
- The second book of birds; bird families, by Olive Thorne Miller, with eight colored plates from designs by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, and sixteen other full-page illustrations. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1901. url .
- The sequence of plumages and moults of the passerine birds of New York / Jonathan Dwight. New York: New York Academy of Sciences, 1900. url p. 133, p. 160, p. 92.
- The sport of bird-study / by Herbert Keightley Job; profusely illustrated with photographs from life by the author. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1908. url p. 302.
- The summer birds of the northeast shore of Lake Superior, Ontario / [Toronto]: Printed by the University of Toronto Press, 1943. url p. 23.
- The vertebrates of the Cayuga Lake basin, N. Y., n.p., 1909? url .
- The zoological quarterly bulletin / Harrisburg, Pa.: Wm. Stanley Ray, state printer of Pennsylvania, 1903-1905. url .
- Through the Mackenzie Basin; a narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River treaty expedition of 1899, London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & co., limited, 1908. url .
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 102, p. 105, p. 6, p. 69, p. 92.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 171.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 1938 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 1, p. 263, p. 382, p. 383, p. 44, p. 443, p. 49.
- Travels and traditions of waterfowl. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press url p. 287.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 22 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url , p. 27.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 8 1961 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 98.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 18, p. 341, p. 382, p. 437, p. 517, p. 6.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 15 1966 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url , p. 104, p. 168, p. 210, p. 283, p. 347, p. 395, p. 398, p. 4, p. 580, p. 605, p. 611, p. 615, p. 623, fig. 8, page 641, p. 643, p. 648, p. 657, p. 666, p. 686, p. 687, p. 688, p. 77, p. 79.
- Useful birds and their protection. Containing brief descriptions of the more common and useful species of Massachusetts, with accounts of their food habits, and a chapter on the means of attracting and protecting birds. [Boston, Mass.]1907. url .
- Useful birds and their protection: containing brief descriptions of the more common and useful species of Massachusetts, with accounts of their food habits, and a chapter on the means of attracting and protecting birds / by Edward Howe Forbush; illustrated by the author, C. Allan Lyford, Chester A. Reed, and others. Boston: Published under direction of the Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture, by authority of the Legislature, . url p. 319, p. 425.
- Vertebrates of Ontario. TorontoPrint. by order of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario by L.K. Cameron1908 url p. 58.
- Washington State Coastal Zone Management Program amendment no. 3: approval of the Grays Harbor estuary management plan: program draft environmental impact statement. [Olympia, Wash.?]: Grays Harbor Regional Planning Commission; 1983. url p. 17, p. 9.
- Ways of nature, by John Burroughs. Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1905. url p. 279.
- Western birds, by Harriet Williams Myers. New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 124.
- Wild birds in city parks; being hints on identifying 200 birds, prepared primarily for the spring migration in Lincoln Park, Chicago, but adapted to other localities, by Herbert Eugene Walter and Alice Hall Walter. [St. Johnsbury, Vt., Press of the St. Johnsbury republican co.]1910. url p. 34.
- Yosemite nature notes. [Yosemite National Park, Calif.: Yosemite Natural History Association url p. 129.
- Zoological series / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey, 1892-1912. url p. 467.
- Zoology of Colorado, by Theodore D.A. Cockerell. .. Boulder, Col., University of Colorado, 1927. url p. 83.
- [Collected reprints, 1902-1928. s.l., s.n.19--] url , , , .
- [Collected reprints, 1911-1931. s.l., s.n., 19--] url .
- BirdLife International 2009. Agelaius phoeniceus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 30January2012.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 14, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Avian Knowledge Network: Project FeederWatch
- Bird Studies Canada: Marsh Monitoring Program - Birds
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 1981-1985
- Bird Studies Canada: Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas 2001-2005
- Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: North West Territories and Nunavut Bird Checklist, Canada
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Royal British Columbia Museum
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates: Bird Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- The New York Botanical Garden: Bronx River Bioblitz
- UNIBIO, IBUNAM: CNAV/Coleccion Nacional de Aves
- University of Colorado Museum: Zoological specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8017
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-179045
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2497311
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 179045
- IUCN ID: 189281
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABPBXB0010
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 894