Family : Sturgeons ; Inhabit river mouths , lakes , estuaries, and bays ; occasionally enters the open sea . Maximum known age is 67 years for females and 30 years for males. Flesh of good quality; eggs are suitable for caviar.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Czech:
Jeseter Kr, Jeseter Krátkorypý, Jeseter krátkorypý
Common Names in Danish:
Kortsnudet St, Kortsnudet Stør, Kortsnudet stør
Common Names in English:
Pinkster, Short-nosed little sturgeon, shortnose sturgeon
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Esturgeon ? Nez Court, Esturgeon , Esturgeon à museau court, Esturgeon à nez court, Esturgeonà Museau Court, Esturgeonà Nez Court
Common Names in Mandarin Chinese:
Common Names in Spanish:
Esturi?n Hociquicorto, Esturi, Esturión Hociquicorto, Esturión hociquicorto
Common Names in Swedish:
Kortnosad St, Kortnosad Stör, Kortnosad stör
Males are commonly 50 cm (Total Length) in length when caught/marketed, but may be as large as 143 cm (Total Length). May live as long as 67 years in the wild, 7 years in captivity.
Typically found in a lake at a mean distance from sea level of 51 meters (169 feet).
use of saltwater
is generally amphidromous
most of the species' range
, although far northern populations are
(Kynard 1997). Spawning takes place in upper freshwater
areas, while feeding (summering) and wintering
occurs in both fresh
and saline environments. This species typically spends its entire
in the natal
and only rarely moves
any great distance
in near-coastal marine
waters. There are no naturally
land-locked populations of the species, but two rivers have populations
that are segmented
This species typically attains an adult size of 75–100 cm total length, though the maximum recorded size for a Canadian-caught female was 1.43 m and 23.6 kg (Dadswell et al. 1984). Maximum ages determined for female and male shortnose sturgeon (again in Canada) were 67 and 32 years, respectively (Vladykov and Greeley 1963). Prespawning migrations in northern populations are triggered by increasing water temperatures of 7–10°C, and during spawning, males are attracted to females by a female pheromone (Kynard and Horgan 2002a). Spawning occurs at water temperatures of 7–15°C. Spawning habitat is a substrate of rock or large gravel (usually rubble ), and water depth during spawning is highly variable. Spawning suitability windows follow day length of 13.9–14.9 h, water temperature of 6.5–15°C, and river discharge that provides 30–120 cm/sec (mean 70 cm/sec) bottom velocity . All spawning windows must be open simultaneously for spawning to occur. Yearling shortnose sturgeon initiate the major dispersal that moves young fish to join older juveniles and adults in fresh or salt water foraging concentration areas. Yearling and older juveniles use the same summering and wintering habitats as adults (Kynard et al. 2000).
In southern waters, shortnose males may mature in 2-3 years and females in 4-6 years. In northern portions of the range, maturation may not occur for 10-15 years (maximum). Spawning periodicity is poorly understood but in the northern part of the range, females are highly variable (2-9 years) and males spawn at 1-5 year intervals depending on fish age and foraging conditions. Some males in northern populations spawn annually..
List of Habitats :
- 5 Wetlands (inland)
- 5.1 Wetlands (inland) - Permanent Rivers/Streams/Creeks (includes waterfalls )
- 9 Marine Neritic
- 9.10 Marine Neritic - Estuaries
- 10 Marine Oceanic
- 10.1 Marine Oceanic - Epipelagic (0-200m)
- 12 Marine Intertidal
- 12.5 Marine Intertidal - Salt Marshes (Emergent Grasses)
- 13 Marine Coastal/Supratidal
- 13.4 Marine Coastal/Supratidal - Coastal Brackish/Saline Lagoons/Marine Lakes [more info]
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Huxley, 1880
- Order: Acipenseriformes ()
- Infraclass: Actinopteri ()
- Subclass: Actinopterygii ()
- Class: Osteichthyes () - Huxley, 1880
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Acipenser brevirostris • Acipenser brevirostris Brusina • Acipenser brevirostris Brusina, 1902 • Acipenser brevirostris Lesueur • Acipenser brevirostris Lesueur, 1818
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: Data last modified by FishBase 22-Mar-1994
Members of the genus Acipenser
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 36 species and subspecies in this genus:
A. baerii (Long-Nosed Siberian Sturgeon) · A. baerii baerii (Lena River Sturgeon) · A. baerii baicalensis (Baikal Sturgeon) · A. baerii baikalensis (Baikal Sturgeon) · A. baerii stenorrhynchus (Lena River Sturgeon) · A. baeri stenorrhynchus (Lena River Sturgeon) · A. brevirostris (Short-Nosed Little Sturgeon) · A. brevirostrum (Short-Nosed Little Sturgeon) · A. dabryanus (Dabry´s Sturgeon) · A. dauricus (Great Siberian Sturgeon) · A. fulvescens (Lake Sturgeon) · A. gueldenstaedti (Caspian Sturgeon) · A. gueldenstaedtii (Caspian Sturgeon) · A. gueldenstaedti brandt (Azov-Black Sea Sturgeon) · A. huso (European Sturgeon) · A. medirostris (Barbel Sturgeon) · A. mikadoi (Sakhalin Sturgeon) · A. multiscutatus (Japanese Sturgeon) · A. naccari (Adriatic Sturgeon) · A. naccarii (Adriatic Sturgeon) · A. nudiventris (American Atlantic Sturgeon) · A. oxyrhynchus (Atlantic Sturgeon) · A. oxyrhynchus oxyrhynchus (Atlantic Sturgeon) · A. oxyrinchus (American Atlantic Sturgeon) · A. oxyrinchus desotoi (Gulf Sturgeon) · A. oxyrinchus oxyrinchus (American Atlantic Sturgeon) · A. persicus (Persian Sturgeon) · A. plecostomus (Suckermouth Catfish) · A. ruthenus (Sterlet Sturgeon) · A. schrencki (Japanese Sturgeon) · A. schrenckii (Japanese Striped Loach) · A. sinensis (Chinese Sturgeon) · A. stellatus (Stellate Sturgeon) · A. stenorrhynchus (Long-Nosed Siberian Sturgeon) · A. sturio (Atlantic Sturegon) · A. transmontanus (Sacramento Sturgeon)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Catalogue of the fishes of New York. By Tarleton H. Bean. .. Albany, University of the state of New York, 1903. url p. 68.
- 1994 IUCN red list of threatened animals Gland, Switzerland: IUCN, 1993 url p. 93.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 740.
- A checklist of Canadian Atlantic fishes with keys for identification / Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 1965 url p. 42, p. 6, p. 93.
- A guide book to the marine fishes of Rhode Island. Photos by the author. Watch Hill, R. I., Book and Tackle Shop url p. 100, p. 20.
- A list of common and scientific names of fishes from the United States and Canada. Report presented at the eighty-ninth annual meeting, Clearwater, Fla., Sept. 16-18, 1959. Ann Arbor, Mich., 1960. url p. 9.
- A list of the fishes of Pennsylvania / by Henry W. Fowler. Washington, D.C.: Biological Society of Washington, 1919 url p. 53.
- A manual of land and fresh water vertebrate animals of the United States (exclusive of birds) by Henry Sherring Pratt. .. with 184 illustrations. Philadelphia, Blakiston's[c1923] url p. 30.
- A synopsis of the fishes of North America / by David Humphreys Storer. Cambridge: Metcalf, 1846. url p. 248.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 92.
- American fishes; a popular treatise upon the game and food fishes of North America, with especial reference to habits and methods of capture, Boston, L. C. Page[c1903]. url .
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , , p. 48, p. 52.
- Analysis of EC Trade in Caviar by Species and Tracking of Caviar Permits within the UNEP-WCMC Caviar Database. A Report to the European Commission TRAFFIC url p. 48.
- Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES, WCMC url p. 99.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 110.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 68.
- Annual report of the Commissioners of Fisheries, Game and Forests of the State of New York. Albany, N.Y.: The Commission, 1896-1900 url p. 269.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1911: including a list of the specimens and publications received during the year, with a report of the crustacea of New Jersey. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, 1912. url p. 609.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 106, p. 128.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 68.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 106.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 76.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 27, p. 36.
- Catalogue of the fishes in the. .. Museum / by A. Günther 1870. url p. 341.
- Check list of the fishes of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland. Ottawa, Printed by C. H. Parmelee, 1913. url , .
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 219, p. 61.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 124, p. 216.
- Checklist of fish and invertebrates listed in the CITES appendices and in EC Regulation 338/97 JNCC url p. 1, p. 182, p. 183, p. 184.
- Contributions. Providence, R. I. url p. 65.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 242.
- Distribution and abundance of fishes and invertebrates in Mid- Atlantic estuaries. Silver Spring, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, 1994- url p. 247, p. 248, p. 255, p. 268, p. 275, p. 4.
- Ecology of Buzzards Bay: an estuarine profile / by Brian L. Howes and Dale D. Goehringer and Center for Marine Science and Technology, University of Massachusetts; Rebecca J. Howard, project officer. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Biological Service, 1996. url p. 73.
- Fauna of New England. Boston, Printed for the [Boston] Society [of Natural History] from the Gurdon Saltonstall Fund, 1904-25. url p. 16.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 10, p. 9.
- Fish and fish egg distribution report of the National Fish Hatchery System. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, [1986- url p. 29.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url p. 631, p. 633, p. 719, p. 810.
- Fishery bulletin. United States Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, The Service, U.S. Govt Print. Off. url , p. 570, p. 84.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine, by Henry B. Bigelow and William C. Schroeder. Washington, United States Government Printing Office, 1953. url , p. 570, p. 84.
- Fishes of the Gulf of Maine. By Henry B. Bigelow. .. and William W. Welsh. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1925. url p. 555.
- Fishes of the vicinity of New York city, by John Treadwell Nichols, with an introduction by William K. Gregory. New York, Printed at the Museum, 1918. url p. 102.
- Forest, lake and river; the fishes of New England and eastern Canada / by Frank M. Johnson. Boston: Printed for subscribers [by University press] Cambridge, 1902. url p. 355.
- Guide to marine fishes; [a new method for identification of marine fishes. New York]New York University Press url p. 275, p. 285, p. 423.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Great Britain London: Royal Institution of Great Britain url p. 312.
- List of the specimens of fish in the collection of the British Museum. LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1851 url p. 15.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 110.
- NOAA technical report NMFS SSRF. Seattle, Wash.: National Marine Fisheries Service; url p. 11.
- National overview and evolution of NOAA's Estuarine Living Marine Resources (ELMR) Program / David M. Nelson and Mark E. Monaco. Silver Spring. Md.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science, Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, 2000. url p. 17, p. 23.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 177.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 65.
- Osteology of the extant North American fishes of the genus Hiodon Lesueur, 1818 (Teleostei: Osteoglossomorpha: Hiodontiformes) / Eric J. Hilton. 100 2002 [Chicago, Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History, 2002. url table 23 , p. 133.
- Pamphlets on forestry. Fish and game. [1900?- url p. 3203.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , p. 253, p. 255, p. 257, p. 42, p. 578, p. 604, p. 609, p. 616, p. 698, p. 698.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 147, p. 187, p. 203, p. 28, p. 28, p. 281, p. 29, p. 307, p. 53.
- Proceedings of the Delaware County Institute of Science. Media, Pa.: The Institute, 1906- url p. 33, p. 34.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 9 1886 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 26, p. 661, p. 989.
- Propagation and distribution of fishes from national fish hatcheries for the fiscal year. .. / prepared by the Division of Fish Hatcheries, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, url p. 81.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 51.
- Report of the United States Commissioner of Fisheries for the fiscal year. .. with appendixes Washington: G.P.O., 1914- url p. 34.
- Report. .. Baltimore: King Brothers. url p. 155.
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary final environmental impact statement/management plan / Sanctuaries and Reserves Division. Washington, D.C.: The Division,  url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 106, p. 11, p. 17, p. 174, p. 182, p. 184, p. 30, p. 4, p. 6, p. 6, p. 7, p. 88.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , , p. 148, p. 152, p. 176, p. 177, p. 2, p. 2, p. 250, p. 253, p. 263, p. 301, p. 359, p. 360, p. 396, p. 399, p. 405, p. 406, p. 455, p. 458, p. 527, p. 538, p. 553, p. 555, p. 559, p. 563, p. 564, p. 565, p. 597, p. 598, p. 6, p. 626, p. 627, p. 637, p. 65, p. 661, p. 69, p. 716, p. 716, p. 731, p. 734, p. 75, p. 758, p. 76, p. 775, p. 78, p. 79, p. 95.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 142.
- The birds of New Jersey / by Witmer Stone. Trenton: J.L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1909. url p. 419.
- The fishes of North Carolina / Raleigh, N.C.: E.M. Uzzell, 1907. url , , .
- The fishes of North Carolina, by Hugh M. Smith. Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & co., state printers and binders, 1907. url , p. 57, p. 58.
- The fishes of North and Middle America a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama / by David Starr Jordan and Barton Warren Evermann. Washington: G.P.O., 1898. url .
- The fishes of Pennsylvania: with descriptions of the species and notes on their common names, distribution, habits, reproduction, rate of growth and mode of capture / by Tarleton H. Bean. Harrisburg, Pa.: E.K. Meyers, 1893. url , p. 7.
- The food and game fishes of New York: notes on their common names, distribution, habits and mode of capture. By Tarleton H. Bean. Albany, J. B. Lyon company, printers, 1903. url p. 269.
- The freshwater fishes of New Brunswick: a checklist with distributional notes / Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1959. url p. 9.
- Threatened wildlife of the United States. Washington, Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1973. url p. 288, p. 6.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 26.
- World Checklist of Fish and Invertebrates Listed in the CITES Appendices Joint Nature Conservation Committee url p. 1, p. 144, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6.
- Zoologica; scientific contributions of the New York Zoological Society. New York. url p. 336.
- Zoology of New York; or, The New York Fauna; comprising detailed descriptions of all the animals hitherto observed within the state of New York, with brief notices of those occasionally found near its borders, and accompa by James E. De Kay. Albany: W. & A. White & J. Visscher: 1842-44. url p. 345.
- American Fisheries Society. Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United states, Canada, and Mexico Sixth Edition. Special Publication 29.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- FishBase. Release date: January 5, 2010
- Friedland, K.D. & Kynard, B. 2004. Acipenser brevirostrum. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 29January2012.
- Friedland, K.D. (University of Massechusetts) & Kynard, B. (U.S. Geological Survey) 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 01, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Fish Collection
- FishBase: FishBase DiGIR Provider - Philippine Server
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Atlantic Reference Centre (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Canadian Museum of Nature - Fish Collection (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Electronic Atlas of Ichthyoplankton on the Scotian Shelf of North America (OBIS Canada)
- Museum national d'histoire naturelle: Ichtyologie
- Royal Ontario Museum: Fish specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 119261
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Fis-29585
- Fishbase Species ID: 2590
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13526357
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 161069
- IUCN ID: 188483
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: AFCAA01010
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Species Identifier: E00B
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1347
- Scott, W.B. (1978). Acipenseridae. In W. Fischer (ed.) FAO species identification sheets for fishery purposes. West Atlantic (Fishing Area 31). Vol. 1. [pag. var.]. FAO, Rome. [back]
- Standard Deviation = 103.040 based on 33 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]
- Friedland, K.D. & Kynard, B. 2004. Acipenser brevirostrum. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 29 January 2012. [back]