, small trees
, or climbers
. Stems sometimes prickly, rarely thorny; hairs
, branched, or stellate
, sometimes glandular
. Leaves alternate, solitary or paired
, simple or pinnately compound
, without stipules; leaf blade
, or divided
. Inflorescences terminal
, overtopped by continuing axes, appearing axillary
, or leaf opposed, often apparently umbellate
, racemose, paniculate
, clustered, or solitary flowers, rarely true cymes, sometimes bracteate
. Flowers mostly bisexual
, usually regular, 5-merous, rarely 4- or 6-9-merous. Calyx mostly lobed. Petals united
. Stamens as many as corolla lobes
and alternate with them, inserted
within corolla, all alike or 1 or more reduced; anthers
dehiscing longitudinally or by apical pores
. Ovary 2-5-locular; placentation mostly axile
; ovules usually numerous
. Style 1. Fruiting calyx often becoming enlarged, mostly persistent
. Fruit a berry or capsule. Seeds with copious
endosperm; embryo mostly curved
About 95 genera with 2300 species: best represented in western tropical America, widespread in temperate and tropical regions ; 20 genera (ten introduced ) and 101 species in China.
Some species of Solanaceae are known in China only by plants cultivated in ornamental or specialty gardens: Atropa belladonna Linnaeus, Cyphomandra betacea (Cavanilles) Sendtner, Brugmansia suaveolens (Willdenow) Berchtold & Presl, Nicotiana alata Link & Otto, and Solanum jasminoides Paxton.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Stramonium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the phaenogamous plants of Great Britain: arranged according to the natural orders: with a copious list of synonyms carefully compiled from Steudel's Nomenclator botanicus, Smith's English flora, Hookers's British flora, Lindley's Synopsis, by Henry Ibbotson. London: H. Bailliere, 1848. url p. 86.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 216.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 736.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 169.
- The British flora medica, or, History of the medicinal plants of Great Britain / by Benjamin H. Barton, and Thomas Castle. London: E. Cox, 1838. url p. 345.
- Kuang Ko-zen & Lu An-ming, eds. 1978. Solanaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 67(1): 1-175.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 9232386
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15867347
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:821598-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 3704913