, biennial, or annual
, less often lianas, shrubs
, or trees
, usually bristly
or scabrous-pubescent. Leaves simple
, alternate, rarely opposite, entire or serrate at margin
. Inflorescences often double
scorpioid cymes, rarely solitary; bracts present or absent. Flowers bisexual
, rarely zygomorphic. Calyx usually 5-parted or lobed
, mostly persistent
. Corolla tubular
, rotate, funnelform
, or salverform
5, rarely more, mostly trapeziform, rarely absent, sometimes a ring
present; limb usually 5-parted; lobes
overlapping, rarely twisted in bud. Stamens 5, inserted
on corolla tube or rarely at throat
or rarely exserted; anthers
, 2-loculed, usually dorsifixed
, less often medifixed
, dehiscence longitudinal
. Nectaries at base of corolla tube or on disc below ovary. Ovary superior, 2-carpellate; locules 2 and each with 2 ovules, or 4 and each with 1 ovule; ovules nearly atropous
, semianatropous, or anatropous
. Style terminal
, branched or not. Gynobase
, or subulate
. Fruit 1-4-seeded drupes or nutlets
(mericarps) ; nutlets mostly dry, often ornamented with wings
, prickles and/or glochids (stiff bristles
or anchorlike tips
) . Seeds vertical
membranous; embryo straight, less often curved
; cotyledons flat, fleshy
About 156 genera and 2500 species: temperate and tropical regions , centered in the Mediterranean region; 47 genera and 294 species in China, of which four genera and 156 species are endemic.
, short pubescent
. Leaves alternate. Cymes becoming racemelike after anthesis
or rarely with few bracts. Calyx 5-lobed or parted
, slightly enlarged or not in fruit. Corolla blue or white, rarely light purple, usually salverform
, rarely campanulate
5, scalelike; lobes
convolute. Stamens included
, apex obtuse
. Ovary 4-parted. Style linear
; stigma discoid
flat or slightly convex
4, usually ovate, appressed
, shiny; attachment scar
About 50 species: Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America; five species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Solananae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Myosotis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 43 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
M. alpestris alpestris (Alpine Forget-Me-Not) · M. arvensis (Field Forget-Me-Not) · M. arvensis arvensis (Field Forget-Me-Not) · M. asiatica (Alpine Forget Me Not) · M. australis (Austral Forget-Me-Not) · M. azorica (Azores Forget-Me-Not) · M. canescens (Hairy Forget Me Not) · M. capitata (Sub-Antartic Forget-Me-Not) · M. colensoi (Colensos Forget-Me-Not) · M. discolor (Changing Forget-Me-Not) · M. dissitiflora 'Blue Bird' (Annual Forget-Me-Not) · M. latifolia (Broad-Leaf Forget-Me-Not) · M. laxa (Bay Forget-Me-Not) · M. laxa cespitosa (Bay Forget-Me-Not) · M. macrosperma (Large-Seeded Forget-Me-Not) · M. ramosissima (Early Forget-Me-Not) · M. scirpoides (Forget Me Not) · M. scorpioides (Forget-Me-Not) · M. scorpioides palustris (Forget-Me-Not) · M. scorpioides scorpioides (Yelloweye Forget-Me-Not) · M. scorpioides 'Mermaid' (Water Forget-Me-Not) · M. scorpioides 'Semperflorens' (Water Forget-Me-Not) · M. secunda (Creeping Forget-Me-Not) · M. stricta (Small-Flowered Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica alba (Woodland Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Bluesylva' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Blue Bird' (Blue Bird Forget Me Not) · M. sylvatica 'Bobo Blue' (Bobo Blue Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Early Bird Blue' (Early Bird Blue Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Indigo Compacta' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Rosylva' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Royal Blue Compact' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Snowsylva' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Spring Symphony Blue' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Blue' (Victoria Blue Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Blue Dwarf' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Dark Blue' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Indigo Blue' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Pink Dwarf' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria Rose' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. sylvatica 'Victoria White' (Forget-Me-Not) · M. verna (Spring Forget Me Not)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Flora of Berwick-upon-Tweed. By George Johnston, M.D. Edinburgh, J. Carfrae & Son; [etc., etc., ]1829-31. url p. 274, p. 275, p. 333.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 96.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A further contribution to a comparative study of the dominant phanerogamic and higher cryptogamic flora of aquatic habit in Scottish lakes / by George West. Edinburgh: R. Grant, 1910. url p. 78.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 170.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 348.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 143.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 163, p. 43.
- A school flora: for the use of elementary botanical classes / by W. Marshall Watts. New York: Longmans, Green, 1910. url p. 116.
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 29, p. 29.
- Annual report / Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club url p. 12, p. 14.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 54.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 72.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 158.
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url p. 292.
- Colonsay, one of the Hebrides, its plants: their local names and usses--legends, ruins, and place-names--Gaelic names of birds, fishes, etc.--climate, geological formation, etc. By Murdoch McNeill. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1910. url p. 148.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.Hodges, Smith, 1866. url p. 23.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 252, p. 271, p. 330, p. 484, p. 515.
- Flora of Cambridgeshire; or, A catalogue of plants found in the county of Cambridge; with references to former catalogues, and the localities of the rarer species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1860. url .
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url .
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 14, p. 38.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 133, p. 372, p. 429.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited (for the Bristol Naturalists' Society) by James Walter White. .. Bristol, J. Fawn & Son [etc.]1881- url p. 124.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants & ferns of Britain. London, R. Groombridge, 1841-48. url , p. 234.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url p. 234.
- Flowers of the field, by the late Rev. C. A. Johns. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1911. url p. 341.
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 438.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 202.
- Garden flowers: how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston, J. E. Tilton, 1866. url p. 263, p. 263.
- Garden flowers; how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.. .. Boston, J. E. Tilton and company, 1866. url p. 263.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. London: Reeve, 1858. url p. 377.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 195, p. 79.
- History of the Outer Hebrides: (Lewis, Harris, North and South Uist, Benbecula, and Barra) by W.C. Mackenzie. Paisley: A. Gardner, 1903. url p. 571.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 235.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 106, p. 11, p. 110, p. 111, p. 113, p. 122, p. 15, p. 15, p. 159, p. 180, p. 185, p. 189, p. 19, p. 194, p. 196, p. 200, p. 201, p. 21, p. 214, p. 217, p. 218, p. 22, p. 22, p. 221, p. 23, p. 244, p. 246, p. 25, p. 253, p. 255, p. 256, p. 259, p. 273, p. 293, p. 294, p. 297, p. 298, p. 31, p. 311, p. 359, p. 368, p. 372, p. 383, p. 42, p. 43, p. 45, p. 48, p. 48, p. 480, p. 58, p. 6, p. 65, p. 68, p. 74, p. 74, p. 74, p. 81, p. 88.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 295.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 512.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 416.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 121, p. 122, p. 397.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1867. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 231.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 53, p. 54.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 309.
- Niger flora; or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; includ London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.]1849. url p. 80.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1904 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 131, p. 202, p. 208, p. 290, p. 321, p. 367, p. 398.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 80.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 20, p. 220, p. 388, p. 397, p. 401, p. 434, p. 451, p. 497, p. 5, p. 5, p. 54, p. 590, p. 715, p. 758.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 128.
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 66.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 238.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 329, p. 329.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 106, p. 122, p. 162, p. 170, p. 171, p. 229, p. 234, p. 241, p. 40, p. 41, p. 89, p. 99, p. 99.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous or flowering plants, and the ferns / London, 1855. url p. 286.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 444.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 147, p. 147.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 279.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1227.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 216, p. 617.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 116, p. 169, p. 178, p. 180, p. 181, p. 195, p. 253, p. 6, p. 61, p. 9.
- The Manchester flora: a descriptive list of the plants growing wild within eighteen miles of Manchester, with notices of the plants commonly cultivated in gardens; preceded by an introduction to botany, by L. H. Grindon. London, W. White, 1859. url p. 237.
- The Naturalist. 1899 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 199, p. 36, p. 55, p. 55, p. 59.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 103, p. 147, p. 153, p. 168, p. 17, p. 213, p. 255, p. 28, p. 391, p. 547, p. 624, p. 656.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1067, p. 391, p. 418, p. 648, p. 674, p. 781.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 14, p. 143, p. 255, p. 27, p. 310, p. 62.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 31, p. 37.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 60.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url p. 292.
- The flora of Banffshire. Aberdeen: Printed for the University1912 url p. 68.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 352, p. 41, p. 627, p. 631.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 69.
- The flora of Oxfordshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with sketches of the progress of Oxfordshire botany during the last three centuries, and London, Parker and Co., 1886. url .
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 39, p. 76.
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 510.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 275, p. 368.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 238, p. 353, p. 75.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 121, p. 151, p. 255, p. 74.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 419, p. 60.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 228, p. 77, p. 77.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 6, p. 72.
- Transactions of the Watford Natural History Society and Hertfordshire Field Club. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1875-1880. url p. 20, p. 32, p. 74.
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 171.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 149, p. 15, p. 171, p. 213.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Liu Yu-lan, Zhu Ge-ling, Lian Yong-shan, Wang Jing-quan & Wang Qing-rui in Kung Xian-wu & Wang Wen-tsai, eds. 1989. Boraginaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 64(2): 1-253.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 30, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 10566275
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15251947
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:119214-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 3178274
- Gelin Zhu, Harald Riedl & Rudolf V. Kamelin "Boraginaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 329. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Myosotis". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 360. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]