Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in English:
Alpine Cliff Fern, alpine cliffbrake, Alpine Woodsia, Northern Woodsia, Woodsie Alpine
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in unspecified:
Species Woodsia alpina
, with cluster
of ± equal length
uniformly brown, lanceolate.
Leaves 2.5--20 × 0.5--2.5 cm. Petiole reddish brown or dark
purple when mature
above base at swollen node, relatively
brittle and easily shattered. Blade
to narrowly lanceolate,
usually pinnate-pinnatifid proximally, lacking glands
, never viscid
rachis with widely scattered
and scales. Pinnae ovate-lanceolate
to deltate, longer
than wide, abruptly tapered to a rounded
acute apex; largest pinnae with 1--3 pairs of pinnules
with isolated hairs and linear scales
Pinnules entire or broadly crenate; margins
nonlustrous, thin, with
occasional isolated cilia, lacking translucent
often enlarged to form whitish hydathodes visible adaxially.
Indusia of narrow, hairlike segments, these uniseriate
composed of cells
many times longer than wide, usually surpassing
mature sporangia. Spores averaging 46--53 µm. Sporulating summer--early
Isozyme studies confirm the longstanding hypothesis that Woodsia alpina is an allotetraploid derived from hybridization between W. glabella and W. ilvensis (see reticulogram). Considerable disagreement exists concerning the chromosome number of W. alpina, but 2 n = 160 seems most likely, given the numbers reported for the two parental species. Hybrids between W. alpina and W. ilvensis have been reported from both Europe and North America. These morphologically intermediate triploids with malformed spores have been called W. × gracilis (Lawson) Butters. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: n/a • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Size: under 6" tall.
Crevices and ledges on cliffs (occasionally on rocky slopes ); mostly slaty and calcareous rocks; 0--1500 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,422 meters (0 to 4,665 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Infraphylum: Moniliformopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Acrostichum alpinum Bolton • Plate 42. 1790 • W. bellii (Lawson) Porsild • W. hyperborea (Liljeblad) R. Brown • W. ilvensis (Linnaeus) R. Brown Var. alpina (Bolton) Watt • Woodsia alpina var. bellii Lawson • Woodsia glabella var. bellii (Lawson) Lawson
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Woodsia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 31 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
W. abbeae (Butter's Cliff Fern) · W. alpina (Alpine Cliff Fern) · W. appalachiana (Appalachian Cliff Fern) · W. cochisensis (Cochise Cliff Fern) · W. glabella (Smooth Cliff Fern) · W. gracilis (Slender Cliff Fern) · W. ilvensis (Kansas Woodsia) · W. maxonii (Maxon's Cliff Fern) · W. mexicana (Mexican Cliff Fern) · W. neomexicana (New Mexico Cliff Fern) · W. obtusa (Blunt Lobed Cliff Fern) · W. obtusa obtusa (Blunt-Lobe Woodsia) · W. obtusa occidentalis (Western Cliff Fern) · W. obtusa subsp. occidentalis (Western Cliff Fern) · W. oregana (Oregon Cliff Fern) · W. oregana cathcartiana (Oregon Cliff Fern) · W. oregana oregana (Oregon Cliff Fern) · W. oregana subsp. cathcartiana (Oregon Cliff Fern) · W. phillipsii (Phillips' Cliff Fern) · W. plummerae (Plummer Woodsia) · W. scopulina (Rocky Mountain Cliff Fern) · W. scopulina laurentiana (Rocky Mountain Cliff Fern) · W. scopulina scopulina (Rocky Mountain Cliff Fern) · W. scopulina subsp. laurentiana (Laurent's Cliff Fern) · W. subcordata (Subcordate Woodsia) · W. tryonis (Tryon's Cliff Fern) · W. × abbeae (Hybrid (Sterile Triploid)) · W. × gracilis (Woodsia) · W. × kansana (Hybrid) · W. × maxonii (Maxon's Woodsia) · W. × tryonis (Tryon's Woodsia)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A botanical exploration of the north shore of the gulf of St. Lawrence including an annotated list of the species of vascular plants, Ottawa, F. A. Acland, printer, 1922. url p. 130, p. 56.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A history of British ferns. London, J. van Voorst, 1854. url , , , , , , .
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 17.
- A plain and easy account of the British ferns: together with their classification, arrangement of genera, structure, and functions; and a glosssary of technical and other terms. / Edited by Phebe Lankester. London: Hardwicke, 1860? url p. 85.
- A popular history of the British ferns and the allied plants, : comprising the club-mosses, pepperworts, and horsetails / by Thomas Moore. London: Routledge, Warne, & Routledge, 1859. url , p. 187, p. 363, p. 64.
- A review of Canadian botany from 1800 to 1895 Montreal: [s.n.], 1898. url .
- A supplementary list of Chinese flowering plants, 1904-1910, url .
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 386, p. 424.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 424.
- Alpine flowers and rock gardens illustrated in colour / described by Walter P. Wright; with notes on "Alpine plants at home", by William Graveson. London: Headley Brothers, 1911. url p. 289.
- Alpine plants / by A.J. Macself; illustrated with colour photographs by R.A. Malby, water colour drawings by Winifred Walker, line drawings by G.E. Lee. New York: Scribner, 1923. url p. 198.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 12, p. 600.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 17.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 642.
- Atlas of the rare vascular plants of Ontario / Ottawa: Botany Division, National Museum of Natural Sciences = Division de la botanique, Musée national des sciences naturelles, 1982-1987. url , , .
- Bibliography of the members of the Royal Society of Canada. Printed by order of the Society, May 25th, 1894. [Ottawa]1894 url p. 51.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 103.
- British ferns and their allies: an abridgement of the "Popular history of British ferns, " and comprising the ferns, club-mosses, pepperworts & horsetails. With coloured illus. by Wm. S. Coleman. London;G. Routledge,  url p. 24, p. 83.
- British ferns and their varieties / by Charles T. Druery. Illustrated with 40 coloured plates, 96 nature prints, and 319 wood cuts and other illustrations. London: E. P. Dutton and Co., [1912?] url .
- British ferns and their varieties, London, E. P. Dutton and Co. url .
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 24 1935 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 92.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 46.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 156, p. 642.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 20 1893 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 465.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 282, p. 282.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 177.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 177.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J. W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url p. 99.
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 99.
- Ferns and fern allies of Canada / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1989. url p. 100, p. 170, p. 173, p. 175, p. 176, p. 182, p. 404, p. 410, p. 6.
- Ferns: British and exotic... London, Groombridge and Sons, 1856-60. url p. 183.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 158.
- Flora of Willoughby, Vermont. [By] George G. Kennedy. Boston, 1904. url p. 100.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 17.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 48.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 386, p. 424.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 386, p. 424.
- Hooker's journal of botany and Kew Garden miscellany. 8 1856 London: Reeve, Benham, and Reeve, 1849-1857. url p. 287.
- How to know the ferns / by S. Leonard Bastin. London: Methuen & Co.,  url p. 61.
- Index filicum: a synopsis, with characters, of the genera, and an enumeration of the species of ferns, with synonymes, references, &c., &c. London: W. Pamplin, 1857. url , , , p. 10, p. 232, p. 5.
- Index of British plants according to the London catalogue... London: G. Bell, 1889. url p. 88.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 198.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 41 1940 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 92.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 14.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 60.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 18.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 213.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 14.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url p. 35.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 223.
- Molecular & general genetics: MGG. Berlin; Springer-Verlag, 1908-2001 url p. 13.
- Moore, Thomas The ferns of Great Britain and Ireland /by Thomas Moore; edited by John Lindley. ..; edited by John Lindley. ..; nature-printed by Henry Bradbury. 1855 London: Published by Bradbury and Evans, Whitefriars. .., 1855. url plate XLVII.
- Our ferns in their haunts, a guide to all the native species, ill. by William Walworth Stilson. New York, Stokes url , p. 99.
- Our native ferns and their alies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / Lucien M. Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896. url p. 64.
- Our native ferns and their allies: with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico / by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1888. url p. 64.
- Our native ferns and their allies; with synoptical descriptions of the American Pteridophyta north of Mexico, by Lucien Marcus Underwood. New York, H. Holt and company, [c1888] url p. 64.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 26.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 145.
- Pollen and spore morphology/plant taxonomy; gymnospermae, pteriodophyta, bryophyta (Illustrations) Stockholm, Almqvist & Wiksell; url .
- Problems of cytology and evolution in the Pteridophyta. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1950. url p. 110, p. 111, p. 149, p. 151, p. 157, p. 286, p. 300, p. 301, p. 310, p. 311, p. 316.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url , p. 360.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 643.
- Publications in botany / Ottawa: The Museum, 1969- url p. 1, p. 10, p. 11, p. 23, p. 29, p. 31, p. 43, p. 52, p. 54, p. 68, p. 7.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url , .
- Report of the second Norwegian Arctic Expedition in the "Fram", 1898-1902. Published by Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, at the expense of the Fridjof Nansen Fund for the Advancement of Science. KristianiaT.O. Brøgger1907-19 url .
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url p. 325.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , , , p. 10, p. 10, p. 104, p. 106, p. 109, p. 11, p. 116, p. 117, p. 137, p. 165, p. 165, p. 17, p. 24, p. 30, p. 31, p. 36, p. 37, p. 39, p. 40, p. 41, p. 49, p. 5, p. 50, p. 52, p. 54, p. 59, p. 60, p. 62, p. 63, p. 72, p. 76, p. 76, p. 9.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 213, p. 213, p. 429.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 229.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , calder , p. 101, p. 119, p. 150, p. 150, p. 151, p. 151, p. 173, p. 177, p. 178, p. 180, p. 196, p. 226, p. 261, p. 262, p. 282, p. 302, p. 343, p. 393, p. 449, p. 451, p. 487, p. 496, p. 510, p. 534, p. 560, p. 579, p. 66, p. 675, p. 68, p. 708, p. 758, p. xii, p. xii.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url , p. 4, p. 401, p. 418, p. 419, p. 80, p. 89, p. 90.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 326.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 187, p. 783.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 146, p. 231, p. 319, p. 341, p. 341, p. 381, p. 489.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1864 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 175, p. 247, p. 601, p. 819, p. 898.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 216, p. 72, p. 786.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 152, p. 152, p. 459.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 387, p. 573.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 39 1909-11 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 580.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 15, p. 395, p. 395, p. 65, p. 66.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url , , , p. 468, p. 610, p. 739, p. 769.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 119.
- The book of old-fashioned flowers and other plants which thrive in the open-air of England, London andJohn Lane, 1901. url .
- The fern garden: how to make, keep, and enjoy it; or, Fern culture made easy / by Shirley Hibberd. London: W.H. and L. Collingridge,  url p. 148, p. 63.
- The fern lover's companion; a guide for the Northeastern States and Canada. Melrose, Mass., The Author[c1922] url .
- The fern paradise: a plea for the culture of ferns / by Francis George Heath. London: The Country Press, 1905. url p. 331, p. 334.
- The ferns of Great Britain, and their allies the club-mosses, pepperworts, and horsetails / London: Printed for the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge:  url .
- The ferns of Great Britain: illustrated by John E. Sowerby. .. The descriptions, synonyms, &c., by Charles Johnson. London: J. E. Sowerby, 1855. url p. 15, p. 87.
- The ferns of North America colored figures and descriptions, with synonymy and geographical distribution, of the ferns (including the ophioglassaceae) of the United States of America and the British North American possessions / by Daniel Cady Eaton; the drawings by J.H. Emerton and C.E. Faxon. Salem [Mass.]: S.E. Cassino, 1879. url , , .
- The nature-study review Ithica, N.Y.: Comstock Pub. Co., 1905-1923 url p. 255.
- The rock garden, London, C. Scribner's sons, 1920. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3519.
- The vascular plants in the flora of Ellesmereland / H. G. Simmons. Kristiania: Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, 1906. url p. 183.
- Tilton's journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1869-1871. url p. 172.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 105, p. 110, p. 176, p. 200, p. 47.
- Where to find ferns: with a special chapter on The ferns round London. / By Francis George Heath. London: E. & J. B. Young & co., 1885. url p. 100, p. 101, p. 77.
- Who's who among the ferns, comp. and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft. New York, Moffat, Yard, 1910. url p. 148, p. 207.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 23, p. 23, p. 5, p. 5, p. 7031, p. 7031.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Bundesamt für Naturschutz / Zentralstelle für Phytodiversität Deutschland, Bundesamt fuer Naturschutz / Zentralstelle fuer Phytodiversitaet Deutschland
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Aranzadi Zientzi Elkartea
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Univ. Herbarium SALAMANCA: SALA
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University Museums of Norway
- , University Museums of Norway
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2644823
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-17738
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 17738
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 17234650
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PPDRY0U010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: WOGLB
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67104