Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Wayfaring Tree, Mealytree, Twistwood, Wayfaring-Tree, Wayfaringtree, Wayfaringtree Viburnum
Common Names in Romanian:
ID Features: Naked, fuzzy buds. Twigs are grayish-white and tomentose. Opposite, ovate leaves with cordate or rounded bases. Leaves with regular serrations. Coarse, stout branching.
Flowers: Small white flowers with yellow stamens in flat clusters . Flower clusters are 3" to 5" across. Moderately showy in bloom . Bloom time is mid-May. Generally quite floriferous . • Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: near white, white
Seeds: Fruit: Berries are held in flat clusters . Color changes from green to red to blue-black. Color change occurs in August and September. Each fruit cluster can display all colors at the same time. Quite showy in fruit. Can dry and persist like raisins. Birds like the fruit. Best fruiting occurs when several clones are planted together.
Foliage: Summer foliage: Opposite, simple leaves. Leaves are ovate . Leaf base is cordate to rounded . Leaf apex is acute and pointed . Leaves are 2" to 5" long. Leaf margin with uniform serrations . Underside of leaves are tomentose . Upperside of leaves are wrinkled. Leaves are somewhat leathery. Leaf color is dark gray green. Buds are naked, gray and tomentose. • Fall foliage: Often poor. Can be somewhat purplish-red.
Size: reaching 10' to 15' tall or taller.
Landscape Uses: Shrub borders . Mass plantings . Difficult growing sites. As a barrier . For erosion control. Useful for flowers and fruit. To attract birds. • Liabilities: Few serious insect or disease problems. Leaf spot disease is occasionally a problem. Somewhat coarse textured in the winter. Often used as a rootstock for V. carlesii and suckers , overtaking. the carlesii top.
Hardy to zone 4, possibly 3.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,500 meters (0 to 8,202 feet).
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Viburnum lantana var. sphaerocarpum Gray Ex Fern.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Viburnum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 211 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
V. acerifolium (Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. acerifolium (Mapleleaf Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. densiflorum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. glabrescens (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. ovatum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acuminatum (Viburnum) · V. aff. odoratissimum 'Arboricolum' (Viburnum 'arboricolum') · V. atrocyaneum (Viburnum) · V. awabuki 'Chindo' (Chindo Sweet Viburnum) · V. betulifolium (Birchleaf Viburnum) · V. bitchiuense (Bitchiu Viburnum) · V. bracteatum (Bracted Arrowwood) · V. bracteatum emerald (Emerald Luster Viburnum) · V. buddleifolium (Buddlejaleaf Viburnum) · V. burejaeticum (Manchurian Viburnum) · V. carlesi (Carlesi Viburnum) · V. carlesii (Korean Spice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Aurora' (Aurora Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Charis' (Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Compactum' (Compact Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Diana' (Diana Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. chingii (Chinese Viburnum) · V. cinnamomifolium (Cinnamomum-Leafed Viburnum) · V. cylindricum (Viburnum) · V. davidii (David Viburnum) · V. davidii 'Longleaf' (Davids Viburnum) · V. deamii (Deams Viburnum) · V. dentatum (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. lucidum Aiton (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. scabrellum Torr. & Gray (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum var. deamii (Deam's Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. dentatum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. lucidum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. scabrellum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. venosum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Autumn Jazz' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Blue Muffin' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Chicago Lustre' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Christom' (Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Christom Blue Muffin' (Christom Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Moonglow' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Morton' (Northern Burgundy® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Northern Burgundy' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Patzam' (Pathfinder Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Perle Bleu' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Ralph Senior' (Autumn Jazz® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Red Feather' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Synnestvedt' (Chicago Lustre® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dilatatum (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum asian (Asian Beauty Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Asian Beauty' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' (Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Catskill' (Catskill Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Erie' (Erie Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Henneke' (Henneke Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Iroquois' (Iroquous Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Michael Dodge' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Mt. Airy' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. edule (Few-Flowered Highbush Cranberry) · V. ellipticum (Common Viburnum) · V. farreri (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Album' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Nanum' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. fragrans (Culver's Root) · V. grandiflorum (Flowering Viburnum) · V. grandiflorum 'De Oirsprong' (Viburnum 'de Oirsprong') · V. harryanum (Harrys Viburnum) · V. henryi (Henry Viburnum) · V. hupehense (Viburnum) · V. ichangense (Viburnum) · V. jackii (Jack's Viburnum) · V. japonicum (Japanese Viburnum) · V. japonicum 'Variegatum' (Japanese Viburnum) · V. lantana (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Aureum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantana 'Candy' (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Mohican' (Mohican Viburnum) · V. lantana 'Variegata' (Variegated Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Variegatum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantanoides (Hobblebush) · V. lentago (Nanny-Berry) · V. luzonicum (Luzon Viburnum) · V. macrocephalum (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. macrocephalum 'Sterile' (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. maculatum (Orjenska Hudika) · V. molle (Kentucky Viburnum) · V. mullaha (Viburnum) · V. nudum (Narrowleaf Witherod Viburnum) · V. nudum earth (Earth Shade Viburnum) · V. nudum var. cassinoides (Appalachian Tea) · V. nudum var. nudum (Possumhaw) · V. nudum'Earthshade' (Earthshade Possumhaw) · V. nudum 'Winterthur' (Appalachian Tea) · V. obovatum (Small-Leaf Arrowwood) · V. obovatum 'Densa' (Dwarf Walter's Viburnum) · V. obovatum 'Mrs. Schiller's Delight' (Dwarf Walters Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum (Sweet Arrowwood) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki (Sweet Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki 'Chindo' (Sweet Viburnum) · V. opulus (American Cranberrybush)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Flora of Berwick-upon-Tweed. By George Johnston, M.D. Edinburgh, J. Carfrae & Son; [etc., etc., ]1829-31. url p. 327, p. 335.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 56.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 199, p. 229.
- A flora of the north-east of Ireland: including the Phanerogamia, the Cryptogamia vascularia, and the Muscineae / by Samuel Alexander Stewart and Thomas Hughes Corry. [Belfast]: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club; 1888. url p. 280.
- A handbook of British Lepidoptera, by Edward Meyrick. London, Macmillan, 1895. url p. 740.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 441.
- A natural history of British moths. .. / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: H. E. Knox, 1871. url p. 233.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 77.
- A partial list of plants available for various uses in general landscape planting, comp. by Albert D. Taylor. Cleveland, A.D. Taylor, c1916 url p. 17, p. 17, p. 35, p. 35.
- A practical handbook of trees, shrubs, vines and herbaceous perennials, by John Kirkegaard. Boston, Williams Bookstores Co., 1916. url p. 393.
- A short treatise on horticulture: embracing descriptions of a great variety of fruit and ornamental trees and shrubs, grape vines, bulbous flowers, greenhouse trees and plants, &., nearly all of which are at present comprised in the c By William Prince. New-York, Printed by T. and J.Swords, 1828. url p. 125, p. 125.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 134, p. 391.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , p. 103, p. 355, p. 356.
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url , , , p. 54, p. 55.
- Afoot through the Kashmir valleys, London: Sands & company, 1901. url p.
- Alsographia americana: or An American grove of new or revised trees and shrubs of the genera myrica, calycanthys, salix, quercus, fraxinus, populus, tilia, sambucus, viburnum, cornus, juglans, aesculus &c, with some new g by C.S. Rafinesque. Philadelphia: s.n., 1838. url p. 50.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 221, p. 979.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 313.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 221, p. 896, p. 979.
- An historical, geographical, commercial, and philosophical view of the United States of America, and of the European settlements in America and the West-Indies. New York: Printed by Tiebout and O'Brien, for John Reid, 1796. url p. 6.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1603.
- An illustrated natural history of British butterflies and moths / by Edward Newman; the figures drawn by George Willis and engraved by John Kirchner. London [England]: W.H. Allen, [18--?] url p. 111.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 421.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 44, p. 81.
- Annual report of the Minnesota State Horticultural Society. Minneapolis: The Society, 1883-1898. url p. 55, p. 6.
- Annual report of the New York State College of Agriculture at Cornell University and the Agricultural Experiment Station. [Ithaca, N.Y.?], 1911-1971. (Albany, N.Y.: url p. 1626.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 35, p. 83.
- Beautiful flowering shrubs, London, Cassell & company, ltd.,  url p. 280.
- Beautiful home surroundings / Framingham Nurseries. Framingham, Mass.: Framingham Nurseries, 1921. url p. 26, p. 44.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 537.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 91.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 448, p. 448.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 136, p. 295.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 218.
- Botanical survey of Nebraska. Conducted by the Botanical Seminar. I-VII. Lincoln, Neb., 1892-1904. url .
- British ants, their life-history and classification. By H. St. J.K. Donisthorpe. .. With 18 plates and 92 diagrams. Plymouth [Eng.]W. Brendon and Son, limited, 1915. url p. 175.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 127.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , p. 137, p. 37, p. 46.
- British trees / London: Hutchinson, 1907. url p. 3.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 181.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 143.
- Bulletin / New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. [New Brunswick, N.J.]: The Station, 1880- url p. 216.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 224.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 20.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 100, p. 20.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 127, p. 64.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 224.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 355, p. 503.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 355, p. 503.
- Catalogue of the Hemiptera (Heteroptera) with biological and anatomical references, lists of foodplants and parasites, etc. prefaced by a discussion on nomenclature, and an analytical table of families, by G. W. Kirkaldy. Berlin, F. L. Dames, 1909- url p. 57.
- Catalogue of the Mesozoic plants in the Department of Geology, British Museum (Natural History) London, Trustees of the B.M., 1894-1915. url p. 266.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 79.
- Chronological history of plants: man's record of his own existence illustrated through their names, uses, and companionship. Boston, Little, Brown & company, 1879. url .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 260.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 230.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 427.
- Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications / by Alfred Russel Wallace. London; Macmillan, 1891. url p. 211.
- Darwinism; an exposition of the theory of natural selection, with some of its applications, by Alfred Russel Wallace. London and New York, Macmillan and co., 1889. url p. 211.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 239.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- English wild flowers: to be found by the wayside, fields, hedgerows, rivers, moorlands, meadows, mountains, and sea-shore / by J.T. Burgess. London: F. Warne, [18--?] url p. 53.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 18, p. 37, p. 80.
- Essays in geobotany in honor of William Albert Setchell, edited by T.H. Goodspeed. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1936. url p. 277.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 136.
- Eton nature-study and observational lessons, by Matthew Davenport Hill, . .. and Wilfred Mark Webb, . .. With a foreword by the Rev. Edmond Warre, . .. Part I-[II]. London, Duckworth & Co., 1903-1904. url p. 153.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 241, p. 612, p. 987.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 835.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 260.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 421, p. 422.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url , .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 171, p. 175.
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 298.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 136.
- Forest entomology, by A.T. Gillanders. .. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood and Sons, 1912. url p. 30.
- Forest entomology. EdinburghW. Blackwood1908 url p. 30.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 229.
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish) Collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, Eng EdinburghBlackwood1883 url p. 34.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 199, p. 374.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 333.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 119, p. 146, p. 4.
- General index to the reports and bulletins of the experimental farms of the Dominion of Canada, 1887-1901. Ottawa, Printed by S.E. Dawson, printer to the King's Most excellent Majesty, 1902. url p. 177, p. 76.
- Handbook of British fungi, with full descriptions of all the species, and illustrations of the genera. By M. C. Cooke, M.A. London, Macmillan and co., 1871. url p. 446.
- Handbook of British fungi: with full descriptions of all the species, and illustrations of the genera / by M.C. Cooke. London: Macmillan, 1871. url p. 446.
- Handbook of the wild and cultivated flowering plants, by Chester Arthur Darling... Syracuse andThe Mason-Henry press,  url p. 69.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , p. 172, p. 211, p. 40.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 273, p. 337, p. 377, p. 536.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, star New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1914. url p. 373.
- How to plan the home grounds, by S. Parsons, jr.... With illustrations drawn by W. E. Spader... New York, Doubleday & McClure co., 1899. url p. 200, p. 200.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 202.
- Illustrated natural history of British butterflies and moths; the figures drawn by George Willis and engraved by John Kirchner. London, Glaisher, pref. 1869. url p. 111.
- In my lady's garden / By Mrs. Richmond. London: T.F. Unwin, 1908. url p. 416.
- Introduction to plant geography and some related sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 638.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 83, p. 84.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 472, p. 501, p. 834, p. 835.
- Journal of forestry. Washington: Society of American Foresters, 1917- url p. 801.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 18 1917 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 37.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 33, p. 9.
- Landscape gardening. New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's sons, 1891. url p. 131.
- Landscape gardening. Notes and suggestions on lawns and lawn planting--laying out and arrangement of country places, large and small parks, cemetery plots, and railway-station lawns--deciduous and evergreen trees and shru New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1891. url .
- Lectures on plant physiology / by Ludwig Jost; authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 321, p. 322.
- Lectures on plant physiology / translated by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 321, p. 322.
- Lectures on plant physiology. Authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 321.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Julius von Sachs, translated by H. Marshall Ward. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 835.
- Leechdoms, wortcunning, and starcraft of early England. Being a collection of documents, for the most part never before printed, illustrating the history of science in this country before the Norman conquest. Collected and edited by the Rev. Oswald Cockayne. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, 1864-66. url p. 398.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 641, p. 71.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 224.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url , , p. 154, p. 158.
- Martin's Natural history / Translated from the thirty-fifth German edition, by Sarah A. Myers; containing two hundred and sixty-two beautifully colored illustrations; First [and second] series. New York: Phinney, Blakeman & Mason, 1861- url p. 283.
- Memories of the months, being pages from the notebook of a field-naturalist and antiquary, to wit, Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart., M. P. London, E. Arnold, 1897- url p. 293.
- Memories of the months. Second series, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, bart... London: E. Arnold, 1900. url p. 293.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 142, p. 143.
- Monograph of the Coccidæ of the British Isles. By Robert Newstead. London, Printed for the Ray society, 1901-03. url p. 183, p. 220.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 81.
- Mémoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 63.
- Natural history of the district. .., together with a geological account of the rock strata, and the fossils contained in them, Part II [in The Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Torquay Guide., , , by N. T. Carrington] Teignmouth, E. Croydon, 1830. url .
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 117, p. 95.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 143.
- On buds and stipules, by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. .. With 4 coloured plates and 340 figures in the text. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co., ltd., 1899. url p. 118, p. 41.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them: a handbook for the nature-lover / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922, c1903. url , , .
- Our woodland trees / London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1878. url , .
- Plant physiology; authorized English translation by R. J. HarveyGibson; supplement incorporating the alterations of the 2d ed. of the German original. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1913. url p. 321, p. 322.
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url .
- Polskie pismo entomologiczne = Polish journal of entomology = Bulletin entomologique de Pologne Warszawa [etc.]Panstwowe Wydawn. Naukowe. url p. 138.
- Postilla. 1979 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 11.
- Practical foresty; a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. LondonW. Rider[pref.1917] url p. 106.
- Practical hints respecting moths and butterflies, with notices of their localities: forming a calendar of entomological operations throughout the year, in pursuit of Lepidoptera / by Richard Shield. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 185, p. 185.
- Practical landscape gardening: the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1916. url .
- Practical landscape gardening; the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch by Robert B. Cridland. New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1918. url p. 170.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 222.
- Prince's Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, Flushing, near New-York / William R. Prince & Co., proprietors. New York?: s.n., 1846? url p. 6.
- Prince's select catalogue of the unrivaled collection of fruit & ornamental trees and shrubs, vines, creepers, p©onies, &c.: cultivated at the Linn©an Botanic Garden & Nurseries (founded 1732), Flushing, near New-York / Prince & Co. New York, N.Y.?: s.n., 1863 or 1864. url p. 21.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 104, p. 105, p. 112, p. 125, p. 57, p. 67, p. 78, p. 96.
- Proceedings of the Bristol Naturalists' Society. Bristol: The Society, 1863-1912. url p. 8.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 455, p. 460, p. 952.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 38.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 115, p. 44, p. 65, p. 69.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 177, p. 307, p. 375, p. 397, p. 40, p. 439, p. 76.
- Researches about atmospheric phenomena. By Thomas Forster. London: Printed for Harding, Mavor, and Lepard, 1823. url p. 375, p. 376.
- Root-knot and its control. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 20.
- School and home gardens, by W. H. D. Meier. Boston, Ginn and company, [c1913] url p. 160, p. 318.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 340.
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 379.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 136.
- Secrets of ornamental planting, comprising "Landscaping simplified, hardy ornamental shrubs and trees", and "The rose garden." Chicago, The Commonwealth Press, c1916 url p. 20, p. 24.
- Seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1903-1913. url p. 100, p. 42.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 497, p. 522, p. 523, p. 528.
- Sylvan sketches; or, A companion to the park and the shrubbery: with illustrations from the works of the poets. By the author of the Flora domestica... London: Whittaker, Treacher and co., 1831. url p. 381.
- Textbook of landscape gardening, designed especially for the use of non-professional students, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1922. url .
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1097, p. 1521, p. 1939.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 322, p. 5.
- The American journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1867-1869. url p. 79.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 41, p. 41.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 44.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The British Tortrices / by S.J. Wilkinson. London: John van Voorst, 1859. url p. 168.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 446.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 342.
- The Coleoptera of the British islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. / by the Rev. W. W. Fowler. London: L. Reeve & co., 1887-1913. url p. 328.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 14, p. 160, p. 195, p. 228, p. 262, p. 280, p. 85.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , p. 101, p. 102, p. 103, p. 11, p. 110, p. 125, p. 129, p. 133, p. 138, p. 14, p. 148, p. 169, p. 180, p. 186, p. 194, p. 233, p. 244, p. 248, p. 304, p. 330, p. 332, p. 34, p. 48, p. 5, p. 55, p. 71.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 114, p. 158, p. 17, p. 17, p. 208, p. 213, p. 252, p. 252, p. 277, p. 316, p. 316, p. 32, p. 354, p. 354, p. 75, p. 78.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 619.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 371.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1067, p. 1381, p. 1688, p. 349, p. 372, p. 403, p. 434, p. 569, p. 598, p. 679, p. 681, p. 757, p. 953.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 121, p. 159, p. 231, p. 260, p. 286, p. 287, p. 40, p. 473, p. 69.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 134, p. 134.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 11, p. 120, p. 14, p. 160, p. 192, p. 202, p. 240, p. 271, p. 280, p. 283, p. 332, p. 356, p. 365, p. 413, p. 422, p. 432, p. 46, p. 473, p. 497, p. 586, p. 799.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 421, p. 421.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 272, p. 276.
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url , p. 145, p. 199, p. 448.
- The Lepidoptera of the British Islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, their preparatory states, habits, and localities / by Charles G. Barrett. London: L. Reeve, 1893-1907. url p. 50.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 383.
- The Naturalist. 1898 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 262, p. 295, p. 301, p. 304, p. 378.
- The New England farmer. Boston: Thomas W. Shepard, 1822-1835. url p. 358.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 159, p. 301, p. 302, p. 473, p. 56.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 13, p. 13.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 210, p. 700.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 352.
- The Universal herbal; or, Botanical, medical, and agricultural dictionary; containing an account of all the known plants in the world, arranged according to the Linnean system. Specifying the uses to which they are or may be applied, whether as food, as medicine, or in the a London, Caxton Press url p. 858.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 161.
- The art of landscape architecture, its development and its application to modern landscape gardening, London, G.P. Putnam's sons, 1915. url , .
- The botanical looker-out among the wild flowers of England and Wales, at all seasons, and in the most interesting localities. By Edwin Lees. .. London, Hamilton, Adams & Co., 1851. url p. 159, p. 166, p. 196.
- The butterflies of the British Isles / 1906 London: F. Warne, 1906. url p. 144.
- The classes and orders of the Linnaean system of botany: Illustrated by select specimens of foreign and indigenous plants. London: Printed by T. Bensley for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1816. url , p. 124.
- The coleoptera of the British Islands, a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. London, Reeve, 1887-91. url p. 328.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 130, p. 130.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 123, p. 131, p. 138, p. 142, p. 149.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 70.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 817.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The entomologist's log-book and dictionary of the life histories and food plants of the British Macro-Lepidoptera, giving many thousands of facts and data connected with the appearance of the ova, larvæ, pupæ, and imagines: methods of capture: habitats: food plants: authorities: synonyms: etc., in Latin and Englis by Alfred George Scorer. London, G. Routledge & sons, limited, 1913. url , , p. 15.
- The feeding of crops and stock: an introduction to the science of the nutrition of plants and animals / by A.D. Hall. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1911. url p. 168.
- The flower garden; or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for t by Joseph Breck. New York: A. O. Moore, 1859. url p. 304.
- The flower-garden: or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for th by Joseph Breck. Boston: J. P. Jewett & company, 1851. url p. 304.
- The forest trees of Britain / by C. A. Johns. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, [18--] url p. 328.
- The forest trees of Britain / by the late C. A. Johns...Published under the direction of the Committee of general literature and education, appointed by the Society for promoting Christian knowledge. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1886. url p. 328.
- The forest trees of Britain. London, S.P.C.K.[n.d.] url p. 328.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 352.
- The joy of gardens, Chicago, Rand, McNally and company[c1911] url p. 217.
- The joy of gardens. Chicago: Rand McNally, [c1911] url p. 217.
- The lepidopterist's calendar. Gloucester, H. Marsden, 1875. url p. 116, p. 174, p. 195.
- The little English flora, or, a botanical and popular account of all our common field flowers. London, Simpkin, Marshall & co., 1842. url p. 56.
- The natural history & antiquities of Selborne in the county of Southampton, by Gilbert White, with illustrations in colour by George Edward Collins... London: Macmillan and co., limited, 1911. url p. 393.
- The natural history of Selborne; with A naturalist's calendar & additional observations; with a pref. by Richard Jefferies. London: Scott, 1887. url p. 298.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 981.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 25.
- The parasitic fungi of New Jersey / by Carl A. Schwarze. New Brunswick: New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Stations, 1917. url p. 12, p. 216.
- The pinetum: being a synopsis of all the coniferous plants at present known, with descriptions, history and synonyms, and a comprehensive systematic index. LondonH.G. Bohn [etc.]1880 url .
- The soil; an introduction to the scientific study of of the growth of crops. New YorkDutton1920 url p. 326.
- The tineina of southern Europe. By H. T. Stainton. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1869. url p. 237.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 278.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 170, p. 170, p. 170, p. 172, p. 172, p. 172.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 472, p. 474, p. 475, p. 90.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url .
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 8 1913 - 19 London. url plate 30.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 8.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 183.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 124.
- Tree and shrub hosts of Verticillium albo-atrum [by] E. B. Himelick. Urbana, Natural History Survey Division, 1969. url p. 5.
- Trees and shrubs of Central Park, New York, Manhattan press[c1903] url , , .
- Trees and shrubs of Central Park, by Louis Harman Peet. New York, Manhattan press, [c1903] url p. 222, p. 222, p. 231, p. 231, p. 239, p. 239.
- Trees and their life histories. Illustrated from photographs by Henry Irving. LondonCassell1909 url p. 396.
- Trees, fruits, and flowers of Minnesota. Minneapolis: Minnesota State Horticultural Society, 1899-1920. url p. 139, p. 308.
- Vorlesungen über Pflanzenphysiologie. Jena, G. Fischer, 1904. url p. 392.
- Webster's Practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament / by A.D. Webster. London: W. Rider & son, limited,  url p. 106.
- Webster's practical forestry: a popular handbook on the rearing and growth of trees for profit or ornament. By A.D. Webster. .. London, W. Rider & Son, Limited[pref. 1905] url p. 89.
- Withering, W. A systematic arrangement of British plants: with an easy introduction to the study of botany. 2 1801 London: Printed for T. Cadell, jun [etc.], 1801. url p. 216.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 229.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 16, 2007:
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- Institute of Dendrology PAS, Institute of Dendrology PAS, Flora of Sudety Mountains
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- University of Vienna, Institute for Botany - Herbarium WU, Herbarium WU
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657154
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35264
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3924291
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:149767-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 41380
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35264
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 149766-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VILAS
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67372