Common Names in English:
Hobblebush, Moosewood, Witch Hobble, Witch-Hobble
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: near white, white
Size: 6-8' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,092 meters (0 to 3,583 feet).
Culture: Space 10-12' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Viburnum alnifolium Marsh. • Viburnum grandifolium Ait.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Viburnum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 211 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
V. acerifolium (Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. acerifolium (Mapleleaf Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. densiflorum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. glabrescens (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. ovatum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acuminatum (Viburnum) · V. aff. odoratissimum 'Arboricolum' (Viburnum 'arboricolum') · V. atrocyaneum (Viburnum) · V. awabuki 'Chindo' (Chindo Sweet Viburnum) · V. betulifolium (Birchleaf Viburnum) · V. bitchiuense (Bitchiu Viburnum) · V. bracteatum (Bracted Arrowwood) · V. bracteatum emerald (Emerald Luster Viburnum) · V. buddleifolium (Buddlejaleaf Viburnum) · V. burejaeticum (Manchurian Viburnum) · V. carlesi (Carlesi Viburnum) · V. carlesii (Korean Spice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Aurora' (Aurora Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Charis' (Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Compactum' (Compact Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Diana' (Diana Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. chingii (Chinese Viburnum) · V. cinnamomifolium (Cinnamomum-Leafed Viburnum) · V. cylindricum (Viburnum) · V. davidii (David Viburnum) · V. davidii 'Longleaf' (Davids Viburnum) · V. deamii (Deams Viburnum) · V. dentatum (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. lucidum Aiton (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. scabrellum Torr. & Gray (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum var. deamii (Deam's Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. dentatum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. lucidum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. scabrellum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. venosum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Autumn Jazz' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Blue Muffin' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Chicago Lustre' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Christom' (Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Christom Blue Muffin' (Christom Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Moonglow' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Morton' (Northern Burgundy® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Northern Burgundy' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Patzam' (Pathfinder Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Perle Bleu' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Ralph Senior' (Autumn Jazz® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Red Feather' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Synnestvedt' (Chicago Lustre® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dilatatum (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum asian (Asian Beauty Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Asian Beauty' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' (Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Catskill' (Catskill Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Erie' (Erie Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Henneke' (Henneke Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Iroquois' (Iroquous Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Michael Dodge' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Mt. Airy' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. edule (Few-Flowered Highbush Cranberry) · V. ellipticum (Common Viburnum) · V. farreri (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Album' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Nanum' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. fragrans (Culver's Root) · V. grandiflorum (Flowering Viburnum) · V. grandiflorum 'De Oirsprong' (Viburnum 'de Oirsprong') · V. harryanum (Harrys Viburnum) · V. henryi (Henry Viburnum) · V. hupehense (Viburnum) · V. ichangense (Viburnum) · V. jackii (Jack's Viburnum) · V. japonicum (Japanese Viburnum) · V. japonicum 'Variegatum' (Japanese Viburnum) · V. lantana (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Aureum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantana 'Candy' (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Mohican' (Mohican Viburnum) · V. lantana 'Variegata' (Variegated Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Variegatum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantanoides (Hobblebush) · V. lentago (Nanny-Berry) · V. luzonicum (Luzon Viburnum) · V. macrocephalum (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. macrocephalum 'Sterile' (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. maculatum (Orjenska Hudika) · V. molle (Kentucky Viburnum) · V. mullaha (Viburnum) · V. nudum (Narrowleaf Witherod Viburnum) · V. nudum earth (Earth Shade Viburnum) · V. nudum var. cassinoides (Appalachian Tea) · V. nudum var. nudum (Possumhaw) · V. nudum'Earthshade' (Earthshade Possumhaw) · V. nudum 'Winterthur' (Appalachian Tea) · V. obovatum (Small-Leaf Arrowwood) · V. obovatum 'Densa' (Dwarf Walter's Viburnum) · V. obovatum 'Mrs. Schiller's Delight' (Dwarf Walters Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum (Sweet Arrowwood) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki (Sweet Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki 'Chindo' (Sweet Viburnum) · V. opulus (American Cranberrybush)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 220.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A catalogue of the phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants of Worcester County, Masachusetts. Worcester: [Franklin P. Rice]1894. url p. 72.
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, & co., ltd., 1892. url p. 54.
- A flora of the state of New-York: comprising full descriptions of all the indigenous and naturalized plants hitherto discovered in the state: with remarks on their economical and medicinal properties / by John Torrey. Albany: Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly, 1843. url p. 308.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas, John I. Northrop, October 12, 1861-June 25, 1891; a memorial volume / edited with a biographical introd. New YorkColumbia University Press1910 url p. 244.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: John I. Northrop, October 12 1861 - June 25, 1891; a memorial volume, ed., with a biographical introduction by Henry Fairfield Osborn. New York, The Columbia university press[c1910] url p. 244.
- A naturalist in the Bahamas: New York, Columbia University Press[c1910] url .
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url p. 479.
- A preliminary list of Maine fungi, by Percy LeRoy Ricker. .. Orono, Me., 1902. url p. 27.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 55.
- A reader in botany / selected and adapted from well-known authors by Jane H. Newell. Boston: Ginn & Co., 1898. url p. 80.
- A second visit to the United States of North America. London, Harper & Brothers;1849. url p. 67.
- A textbook of botany for colleges and universities. .. Cincinnati [etc]American book company[1910-11] url .
- A year among the trees; or, The woods and by-ways of New England / by Wilson Flagg. Boston: Educational Pub. Co., 1890 [c1889] url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 356.
- An encyclopaedia of trees and shrubs: being the Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum abridged: containing the hardy trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, by J. C. Loudon. London: F. Warne; 1869. url p. 517.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 269.
- An index to the scientific contents of the Journal and Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia [1817-1910] Published in commemoration of the centenary of the academy, March 21, PhiladelphiaAcademy of Natural Sciences url p. 80.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 56.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 66.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 227, p. 458.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 113, p. 208, p. 25, p. 43.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 121, p. 632.
- Annual report of the State Horticultural Society of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: The Society, 1894- url p. 391.
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 64.
- Annual report of the secretary of the State Pomological Society of Michigan. Lansing: The Society, 1874-1880. url p. 426.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 48, p. 94, p. 97.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 401.
- Aristocrats of the garden, by Ernest H. Wilson. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company[c1917] url p. 311.
- Bergen's botany: key and flora: Northern and Central States ed. / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 216.
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia: arranged according to the natural system: with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system. .. / Albany: Printed by Webster and Skinners. .., 1833. url p. 156.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 6 1922 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 43, p. 83.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 145, p. 22, p. 594, p. 632.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 220.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute. url p. 156.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 66 1938 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 571.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Society of New Brunswick. St. John, N. B., Natural History Society of New Brunswick. url p. 111.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 17 1890 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 138, p. 288, p. 340, p. 44, p. 73.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 6.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 156.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url p. 195, p. 195.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 228.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 228.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation, Hartford, Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url .
- Children's gardens for school and home: a manual of cooperative gardening / by Louise Klein Miller. New York: Appleton, 1904. url p. 217, p. 217.
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 112, p. 132.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 658.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 173.
- Contributions to the botany of the State of New York / Albany: New York State Museum of Natural History, 1887. url p. 22.
- Contributions to the fossil flora of the western territories. .. By Leo Lesquereux. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1874-1883. url p. 227.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 102 1876 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 751.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 22.
- Familiar features of the roadside; the flowers, shrubs, birds, and insects. By F. Schuyler Mathews. .. With. .. drawings by the author, and many of the songs of our common birds and insects. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1897. url p. 268, p. 36.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1869. url p. 172.
- Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North America. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years by Frederick Pursh. .. London: Printed for James Black and son, 1816. url p. 702.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url .
- Flora of Mount Desert Island, Maine: a preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands / by Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield; with a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert Island. Cambridge, Mass.: J. Wilson, 1894. url p. 107.
- Flora of Mount Desert island, Maine. A preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands. By Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield. With a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert island. Cambridge, Mass., J. Wilson and son, 1894. url p. 107.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 228.
- Flora of Willoughby, Vermont. [By] George G. Kennedy. Boston, 1904. url p. 130.
- Flora of Worcester County; a catalogue of the phaenogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants of Worcester County, Masachusetts. Worcester, 1894. url p. 72.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 424.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1121, p. 1121.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florula Bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 124.
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 124.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 568.
- Forest flora of Japan. Notes on the forest flora of Japan. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin[c1894] url .
- Forest flora of Japan: notes on the forest flora of Japan. Boston, Houghton, 1894. url p. 49.
- Forest life in Acadie sketches of sport and natural history in the lower provinces of the Canadian Dominion / by Campbell Hardy. London: Chapman & Hall, 1869. url p. 325.
- Forest life in Acadie: Sketches of sport and natural history in the lower provinces of the Canadian dominion / By Captain Campbell Hardy. -- London: Chapman & Hall, 1869. url p. 325.
- Forest life in Acadie: sketches of sport and natural history in the lower provinces of the Canadian Dominion / by Captain Campbell Hardy. London: Chapman & Hall, 1869. url p. 325.
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 216, p. 374, p. 374.
- Foundations of botany, Boston, Ginn & Co., 1901. url .
- Foundations of botany, by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn & co., 1904. url p. 374.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 109, p. 200, p. 254, p. 304, p. 334, p. 388, p. 403, p. 404, p. 437, p. 468, p. 529, p. 531, p. 55, p. 574, p. 82.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 195, p. 41.
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 172.
- Growth in living systems; proceedings. Edited by M.X. Zarrow assisted by Harry Beevers [and others]. New York, Basic Books url p. 595.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 427.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 427.
- Handbook of plants and general horticulture. 1890. url p. 477.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , , p. 172.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants. By Peter Henderson. New York: P. Henderson & Co., 1881. url p. 252.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 921.
- How to know the wild flowers: a guide to the names, haunts, and habits of our common wild flowers / by Mrs. William Starr Dana [i.e. F.T.S.D. Parsons]; illustrated by Marion Satterlee and Elsie Louise Shaw. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913. url p. 26, p. 338.
- How to know wild fruits; a guide to plants when not in flower by means of fruit and leaf; by Mary Elisabeth Herbert. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url p. 135, p. 340.
- Insects affecting park and woodland trees / by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: New York State Education Dept., 1905-1906. url p. 458, p. 873, p. 873.
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a fifth and revised edition of The botanical text-book / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, 1877. url p. 95.
- Journal and proceedings of the Hamilton Association. [Hamilton, Ont.]: Printed for the Hamilton Association by the Spector Printing Co., -1899. url p. 38.
- Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by. .. Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1872 [c1868] url p. 172.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. New York, 1893-1894. url .
- List of plants collected by Mr. B. Billings in the vicinity of the city of Ottawa, during the summer of 1866 Ottawa?: Ottawa Natural History Society?, 1866? url .
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 16 1829 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url , no. 1570.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / New York: American Book Company, c1889. url p. 217.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1270.
- Maple leaves, 1894 Canadian history, literature, ornithology / J.M. LeMoine. [Quebec?: s.n.], 1894 url .
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 124, p. 46.
- Memorial of life and entomologic work of Joseph Albert Lintner, state entomologist, 1874-98, by Ephraim Porter Felt. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 594.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url p. 34, p. 34.
- Monographs of the United States Geological Survey. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1882- url p. 121.
- More letters of Charles Darwin. A record of his work in a series of hitherto unpublished letters, ed. by Francis Darwin. .. and A.C. Seward. .. London, J. Murray, 1903. url p. 442.
- More letters of Charles Darwin: a record of his work in a series of hitherto unpublished letters, ed. by Francis Darwin. .. and A.C. Seward. .. London, J. Murray, 1903. url p. 442, p. 506.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url p. 313.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 308, p. 308.
- New England farmer, and gardener's journal. Boston: George C. Barrett, 1835-. url p. 411.
- Notes on the flora of Connecticut / [prepared by A.W. Driggs]. [Hartford]: State Board of Education, 1901. url p. 12.
- Notes on the geology and botany of Digby Neck by L. W. Bailey. S.l.: s.n., 1895? url .
- Ornithological biography, or an account of the habits of the birds of the United States of America; accompanied by descriptions of the objects represented in the work entitled The Birds of America, and interspersed with delineations of American scenery and manners / Edinburgh: Adam Black, 1831-1839. url p. 280, p. 588.
- Our country home; how we transformed a Wisconsin woodland, by Frances Kinsley Hutchinson; with nearly two hundred illustrations from photographs by the author. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & co., 1907. url p. 151.
- Our mountain garden / by Mrs. Theodore Thomas (Rose Fay). .. New York: E.P. Dutton, c1915. url p. 237.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. 1 1893 Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url p. 220.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them; a handbook for the nature-lover, by Harriet L. Keeler. New York, C. Scribner, 1912, c1903. url p. 270.
- Our wild flowers familiar notes thereon / by J.M. Le Moine. Quebec: Chronicle Steam Print, 1885. url .
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url p. 217.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 506.
- Plants of Rhode Island: being an enumeration of plants growing without cultivation in the State of Rhode Island / by James L. Bennett. Providence, R.I.: Providence Press, 1888. url p. 125, p. 125.
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 170.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 222.
- Principles of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Bradley M. Davis. Boston; Ginn & Company, c1906. url p. 437.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 18, p. 69.
- Proceedings. Halifax url p. 80.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 228.
- Pursh, F. T. Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North america. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years travels and residence in that country /by Frederick Pursh. .. London: Printed for White, Cochrance, and co., 1814. url p. 711.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 18, p. 97, p. 97.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 347.
- Report of the United States Geological Survey of the territories. F.V. Hayden, United States geologist in charge. .. [Final reports or monographs. vol. I]-III, V-XIII. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1873-90. url p. 227.
- Report on the injurious and other insects of the State of New York. Albany: State Entomologist, 1882-1898. url p. 260.
- Report upon forestry. From the committee appointed to memorialize Congress and the state legislatures, regarding the cultivation of timber and the preservation of forests, prepared under the direction of the Commissioner of Agriculture in pursuance of an Act of Congress approved August l5, 1876, by Franklin B. Hough. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1878. url p. 412.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 70.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 38, p. 54.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 38, p. 38, p. 54, p. 54.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1121.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 9.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 42.
- Structural botany, or Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company,  url , .
- Structural botany, or, Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. New York: American Book Compnay,  url p. 195, p. 41.
- Structural botany: or, organography on the basis of morphology: to which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. London: Macmillan and Co., [c1879] url p. 195, p. 41.
- Studies of plant life in Canada, or, Gleanings from forest, lake and plain by C.P. Traill; illustrated withe chromo-lithographs from drawings by Mrs. Chamberlin. Ottawa: A.S. Woodburn, 1885. url , .
- Studies of plant life in Canada. Wild flowers, flowering shrubs, and grasses. Toronto: William Briggs, 1906. url , .
- Studies of plant life in Canada: wild flowers, flowering sshrubs, and grasses / by Mrs C.P. Traill; illustrated with 8 reproductions in natural colors and 12 half-tone engravings, from drawings by Mrs. Agnes D. Chamberlin. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1906. url , .
- Studies of plant life in Canada; or, Gleanings from forest, lake and plain. By Mrs. C.P. Traill... Illustrated with chromo-lithographs from drawings by Mrs. [Agnes D.] Chamberlin... Ottawa, A.S. Woodburn, 1885. url p. 287.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 51, p. 65.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Co. [etc., etc.]1878-1884. url , p. 9.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 67.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1152.
- The American journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1867-1869. url p. 75.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 176, p. 31, p. 317.
- The American journal of science. 39 1840 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 176, p. 22, p. 288, p. 317, p. 387, p. 82.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 102.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 449, p. 759, p. 842, p. 843.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 451.
- The Canadian horticulturist. St. Catherines [Ont.]: Fruit Growers' Association of Ontario url p. 451.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 10, p. 415.
- The Country gentleman's magazine. London, S. Marshall & Co. url p. 211.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 295, p. 399, p. 403, p. 592, p. 926.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 447, p. 57.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 342.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 96.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 166, p. 388, p. 512, p. 6.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 111.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 23 1886-88 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 352.
- The Labrador coast. A journal of two summer cruises to that region. New York: N.D.C. Hodges, 1891. url .
- The Labrador coast. New York, N. D. C. Hodges: [etc., etc.]1891. url p. 143.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 491.
- The North American cup-fungi (inoperculates) New York, 1951. url p. 348, p. 396.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 49.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url p. 80.
- The art of beautifying suburban home grounds of small extent. New York, D. Appleton & company, 1873. url p. 617.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 97.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 6.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 156.
- The flora of the Dakota group, a posthumous work, by Leo Lesquereux. Ed. by F.H. Knowlton. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url p. 121.
- The flower garden; or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for t by Joseph Breck. New York: A. O. Moore, 1859. url p. 304.
- The flower-garden: or, Breck's book of flowers; in which are described all the various hardy herbaceous perennials, annuals, shrubby plants, and evergreen trees, desirable for ornamental purposes, with directions for th by Joseph Breck. Boston: J. P. Jewett & company, 1851. url p. 304.
- The forests of Vermont, Montpelier, Vermont watchman & State journal press, 1886. url p. 54.
- The garden's story, or Pleasures and trials of an amateur gardener, New York: D. Appleton and company, 1889. url p. 318, p. 344, p. 355.
- The garden's story: or, Pleasures and trials of an amateur gardener / by George H. Ellwanger. .. New York: Appleton, 1891. url p. 318.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 400, p. 400.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 400.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 227.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 22.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1495, p. 3460.
- The trees, shrubs and vines of Missouri. url .
- Through glade and mead; a contribution to local natural history, Worcester, Mass., Putnam, Davis and Company, [c1894] url , .
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 18.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 12, p. 83.
- Transactions of the Linnaean Society of New York. New York: The Society, 1882- url p. 128.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 302, p. 353, p. 85.
- Window gardening, and a list of some of the flowers found growing naturally in the vicinity of Boston. .. [Boston]: Massachusetts Horticultural Society, c1889. url p. 13.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 28, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 4 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (May 01, 2008)
- USDA, NRCS. 2005. The PLANTS Database, Version 3.5 (http://plants.usda.gov). National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 28, 2008:
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- US National Plant Germplasm System: United States National Plant Germplasm System Collection
- USDA PLANTS: USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657155
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35265
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:149769-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 70828
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35265
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 149768-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VIGR8
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67790