Common Names in English:
Arrowwood, Dockmackie, Flowering Maple, Guelder-Rose, Maple-Leaf Hydrangea, Maple-Leaf Viburnum, Mapleleaf Viburnum, Possum Haw, Possumhaw, Squashberry
ID Features: Small, black, egg-shaped drupe. Deciduous leaves in an opposite arrangement. Lobed leaves with dentate leaf margins.
Habit: A small, multi-stemmed deciduous shrub with an upright erect form. Suckers .
Foliage: Summer foliage: Opposite leaf arrangement . Simple , deciduous leave. Ovate leaf shape. 3-lobed leaves. 2" to 4" long. Dentate leaf margins. Somewhat pubescent . Dark green leaf color. • Fall foliage: Reddish-purple fall color.
Growth Rate: Moderate. • Size: 4' to 6' tall with an equal width .
Hardy to zone 4.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,225 meters (0 to 4,019 feet).
Culture: Prefers well-drained, mildly acidic soil. Full sun to shade. Flowers on new wood . Buy plants on their own rootstocks to avoid sucking.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Partial to Full Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Bong. Publication : M?m. Acad. Imp. Sci. St .-P?tersbourg, S?r. 6, Sci. Math. 2: 144 1832 [Aug 1832]
Members of the genus Viburnum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 211 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
V. acerifolium (Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. acerifolium (Mapleleaf Arrowwood) · V. acerifolium var. densiflorum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. glabrescens (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acerifolium var. ovatum (Mapleleaf Viburnum) · V. acuminatum (Viburnum) · V. aff. odoratissimum 'Arboricolum' (Viburnum 'arboricolum') · V. atrocyaneum (Viburnum) · V. awabuki 'Chindo' (Chindo Sweet Viburnum) · V. betulifolium (Birchleaf Viburnum) · V. bitchiuense (Bitchiu Viburnum) · V. bracteatum (Bracted Arrowwood) · V. bracteatum emerald (Emerald Luster Viburnum) · V. buddleifolium (Buddlejaleaf Viburnum) · V. burejaeticum (Manchurian Viburnum) · V. carlesi (Carlesi Viburnum) · V. carlesii (Korean Spice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Aurora' (Aurora Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Charis' (Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Compactum' (Compact Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. carlesii 'Diana' (Diana Koreanspice Viburnum) · V. chingii (Chinese Viburnum) · V. cinnamomifolium (Cinnamomum-Leafed Viburnum) · V. cylindricum (Viburnum) · V. davidii (David Viburnum) · V. davidii 'Longleaf' (Davids Viburnum) · V. deamii (Deams Viburnum) · V. dentatum (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. lucidum Aiton (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum L. var. scabrellum Torr. & Gray (Arrow-Wood Viburnum) · V. dentatum var. deamii (Deam's Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. dentatum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. lucidum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. scabrellum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum var. venosum (Southern Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Autumn Jazz' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Blue Muffin' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Chicago Lustre' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Christom' (Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Christom Blue Muffin' (Christom Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Moonglow' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Morton' (Northern Burgundy® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Northern Burgundy' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Patzam' (Pathfinder Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Perle Bleu' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Ralph Senior' (Autumn Jazz® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dentatum 'Red Feather' (Arrowwood) · V. dentatum 'Synnestvedt' (Chicago Lustre® Arrowwood Viburnum) · V. dilatatum (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum asian (Asian Beauty Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Asian Beauty' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' (Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Catskill' (Catskill Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Erie' (Erie Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Henneke' (Henneke Cardinal Candy Linden Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Iroquois' (Iroquous Viburnum) · V. dilatatum 'Michael Dodge' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. dilatatum 'Mt. Airy' (Linden Arrowwood) · V. edule (Few-Flowered Highbush Cranberry) · V. ellipticum (Common Viburnum) · V. farreri (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Album' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. farreri 'Nanum' (Fragrant Viburnum) · V. fragrans (Culver's Root) · V. grandiflorum (Flowering Viburnum) · V. grandiflorum 'De Oirsprong' (Viburnum 'de Oirsprong') · V. harryanum (Harrys Viburnum) · V. henryi (Henry Viburnum) · V. hupehense (Viburnum) · V. ichangense (Viburnum) · V. jackii (Jack's Viburnum) · V. japonicum (Japanese Viburnum) · V. japonicum 'Variegatum' (Japanese Viburnum) · V. lantana (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Aureum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantana 'Candy' (Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Mohican' (Mohican Viburnum) · V. lantana 'Variegata' (Variegated Wayfaring Tree) · V. lantana 'Variegatum' (Wayfaringtree) · V. lantanoides (Hobblebush) · V. lentago (Nanny-Berry) · V. luzonicum (Luzon Viburnum) · V. macrocephalum (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. macrocephalum 'Sterile' (Chinese Snowball Bush) · V. maculatum (Orjenska Hudika) · V. molle (Kentucky Viburnum) · V. mullaha (Viburnum) · V. nudum (Narrowleaf Witherod Viburnum) · V. nudum earth (Earth Shade Viburnum) · V. nudum var. cassinoides (Appalachian Tea) · V. nudum var. nudum (Possumhaw) · V. nudum'Earthshade' (Earthshade Possumhaw) · V. nudum 'Winterthur' (Appalachian Tea) · V. obovatum (Small-Leaf Arrowwood) · V. obovatum 'Densa' (Dwarf Walter's Viburnum) · V. obovatum 'Mrs. Schiller's Delight' (Dwarf Walters Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum (Sweet Arrowwood) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki (Sweet Viburnum) · V. odoratissimum var. awabuki 'Chindo' (Sweet Viburnum) · V. opulus (American Cranberrybush)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 113, p. 346.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 280, p. 335.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A check-list of plants mentioned in the Arnold Arboretum bulletins / [compiled by Charles Downing Lay, Robert Wheelwright]. Harrisburg, Pa.: Landscape Architecture, Inc., 1919 url p. 49.
- A class-book of botany, designed for colleges, academies, and other seminaries. Illustrated by a flora of northern, middle, and western states; particularly of the United States north of the Capitol, lat. 38 3/4. Claremont, N. H., Manufacturing Co., S. Ide, agent, 1850. url p. 302.
- A dictionary of American plant names, compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill., W. N. Clute, 1923. url p. 56.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 262.
- A flora of the state of New-York: comprising full descriptions of all the indigenous and naturalized plants hitherto discovered in the state: with remarks on their economical and medicinal properties / by John Torrey. Albany: Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly, 1843. url p. 306.
- A guide to the trees / by Alice Lounsberry...with sixty-four coloured and one hundred and sixty-four black-and-white plates and fifty diagrams, by Mrs. Ellis Rowan...with and introduction by Dr. N. L. Britton. New York: Frederick A. Stokes Company Publishers, [c1900] url p. 310.
- A guide to the trees by Alice Lounsberry; with sixty-four coloured and one hundred and sixty-four black-and-white plates and fifty-five diagrams by Ellis Rowan; with an introduction by N.L. Britton. Toronto: W. Briggs, c1900. url .
- A guide to the trees; with sxity-four coloured and one hundred and sixty-four black-and-white plates and fifty-five diagrams, New YorkF.A. Stokes[c1900] url p. 310.
- A guide to the wild flowers, by Alice Lounsberry. With sixty-four coloured and one hundred black-and-white plates and fifty-four diagrams by Mrs. Ellis Rowan; with an introduction by Dr. N.L. Britton... New York, Frederick A. Stokes company url p. 471.
- A history of the game birds, wild fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states, including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre By Edward Howe Forbush. Boston, Wright & Potter Printing Company, State Printers, 1916 url p. 587.
- A history of the game birds, wild-fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states: including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre Boston: Wright & Potter printing company, state printers, 1912. url p. 587, p. 587.
- A narrative history of the town of Cohasset, Massachusetts. [Cohasset]Committee on Town History, 1898-1956. url p. 544.
- A naturalist in the Great Lakes region, by Elliot Rowland Downing. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1922] url , p. 325.
- A partial list of plants available for various uses in general landscape planting, comp. by Albert D. Taylor. Cleveland, A.D. Taylor, c1916 url p. 25, p. 25, p. 26, p. 26, p. 29, p. 29.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 478.
- A practical handbook of trees, shrubs, vines and herbaceous perennials, by John Kirkegaard. Boston, Williams Bookstores Co., 1916. url p. 391, p. 393.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 56.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 260, p. 271, p. 979.
- A spring flora for high schools, New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1915] url .
- A spring flora for high schools, by Henry C. Cowles. .. and John G. Coulter. .. New York, American book company[c1915] url p. 10, p. 119.
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url p. 56, p. 84.
- An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers, 1909. url .
- An illustrated catalogue of American insect galls. By Millet Taylor Thompson. Pub. and distributed by Rhode Island Hospital Trust Company, executor, in accordance with the provisions of the will of S. Millet Thompson. Ed. by E. P. Felt. Nassau, N. Y.1915. url p. 65.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 269, p. 270.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 591.
- An introduction to the study of landscape design [by] Henry Vincent Hubbard and Theodora Kimball. New York, The Macmillan Company, [c1929] url p. 430.
- Andorra hand-book [of trees and shrubs] Philadelphia url p. 98.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 553, p. 56.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 647.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 322.
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 91.
- Annual report / Florida State Geological Survey. Tallahassee, Fla.: Capital Pub. Co., state printer, url p. 436.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 146, p. 193.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 5 1894 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 134.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 448, p. 448.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 344, p. 541, p. 554.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url p. 202, p. 204.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 708.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 46, p. 46.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 15, p. 260, p. 260, p. 363.
- Annual report of the Regents of the University on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, N.Y.: The University, 1848-1873. url p. 37.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 119, p. 152.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 28.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 81.
- Aristocrats of the garden, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1917. url .
- Aristocrats of the garden, by Ernest H. Wilson. .. Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company[c1917] url p. 301, p. 301, p. 311.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 62 2004 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 114, p. 12, p. 14, p. 14, p. 14, p. 148, p. 15, p. 2, p. 28, p. 3, p. 32, p. 57, p. 69, p. 75, p. 77, p. 79, p. 80, p. 81.
- Bergen's botany: key and flora: Northern and Central States ed. / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 216.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 189, p. 91.
- Biological survey of the Mount Desert Region, conducted by William Procter... From the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Mount Desert Island, Maine. Philadelphia, The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, 1927-1946. url p. 10, p. 13.
- Bird lore. New York City: Macmillan Co., c1899-c1940. url p. 202.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 202.
- Birds of New York / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1914. url .
- Birds of New York / by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1910-1914. url p. 57.
- Birds of New York, Albany, University of the State of New York, 1910-14. url .
- Book of garden plans, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url , .
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 145.
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia: arranged according to the natural system: with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system. .. / Albany: Printed by Webster and Skinners. .., 1833. url p. 156.
- Botany, developmental and descriptive. Philadelphia, Lea, 1922. url p. 138, p. 164, p. 231.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 22 1933 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 3, p. 7.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 50, p. 56, p. 72.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 146, p. 193.
- Bulletin - State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut. [Hartford]State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, 1904- url p. 593.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 147, p. 163, p. 84.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 217.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 224, p. 280, p. 335, p. 459.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 98, p. 98.
- Bulletin Harrisburg, Pa.: The Department: 1901-1923. url .
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1904-05 1905 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 21, p. 22, p. 23, p. 24, p. 25, p. 38, p. 40, p. 41, p. 85.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 307, p. 478.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Society of New Brunswick. St. John, N. B., Natural History Society of New Brunswick. url p. 168.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 161, p. 186, p. 228, p. 274, p. 368.
- Bulletin of the Philosophical Society of Washington. 25 1883 Washington, D.C.: Published by the co-operation of the Smithsonian Institution, [1874- url p. 106.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 13 1886 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 116, p. 135, p. 150, p. 243, p. 288, p. 31, p. 325, p. 340, p. 38, p. 52, p. 62, p. 630, p. 656, p. 661, p. 719.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 13, p. 17, p. 26, p. 26.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 38, p. 44.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 88.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 222.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 1755, p. 1802.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 194, p. 195, p. 195.
- Catalogue of North American plants north of Mexico, exclusive of the lower cryptogams. [n.p.]1900. url p. 194.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url .
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 368.
- Catalogue of the phanerogams and ferns of Licking County, Ohio. Granville, Ohio, Press of Granville Times, 1892. url .
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 79.
- Children's gardens for school and home: a manual of cooperative gardening / by Louise Klein Miller. New York: Appleton, 1904. url p. 217, p. 217.
- Circular. Boston, Mass., 1913-1918. url p. 13.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 372.
- Come into the garden, by Grace Tabor. Illustrated with photographs. New York, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 43.
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 132.
- Comprehensive plan for the Illinois Nature Preserves System. Rockford, Ill.: Illinois Nature Preserves Commission, 1972-1973. url p. 31.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892-1932. url p. 116.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 546.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 260, p. 531, p. 743.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 8, p. 81.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1922, p. 1927, p. 497.
- Department circular. Boston, Mass., 1918-1920. url p. 15.
- Dr. John Fothergill and his friends; chapters in eighteenth century life; by R. Hingston Fox. London: Macmillan, 1919. url p. 164.
- Economic botany of Alabama. University, Ala., 1913-1928. url p. 318.
- Elementary botany Toronto: Copp, Clark, [1899?] url .
- Elements of the philosophy of plants: containing the principles of scientific botany. .. with a history of the science, and practical illustrations. By A. P. de Candolle and K. Sprengel. Tr. from the German. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood, 1821. url p. 364.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 13, p. 37, p. 47.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 23.
- Familiar features of the roadside; the flowers, shrubs, birds, and insects. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1897. url .
- Fieldbook of native Illinois shrubs, by Leo R. Tehon. .. Urbana, Natural History Survey Division, 1942. url , , p. 263, p. 264.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora Temiscouatensis Henry M. Ami. S.l.: s.n., 1888? url .
- Flora cestrica: an herborizing companion for the young botanists of Chester County...Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1853. url p. 115.
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 96.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 332.
- Flora of Burlington and vicinity; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation, by Nellie F. Flynn. Burlington, Free Press Printing Co., 1911. url p. 83.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 247.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 228.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 880, p. 882.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 274.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 274.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by L. L. Dame and F. S. Collins. Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url p. 44, p. 44.
- Flora of Mount Desert Island, Maine: a preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands / by Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield; with a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert Island. Cambridge, Mass.: J. Wilson, 1894. url p. 107.
- Flora of Mount Desert island, Maine. A preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands. By Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield. With a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert island. Cambridge, Mass., J. Wilson and son, 1894. url p. 107.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 81.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 228.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 35.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 260.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 352.
- Flora of the Southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., [c1883] url .
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1121.
- Flora of the southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. The ferns by Prof. Daniel C. Eaton. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, 1889 [c1883] url p. 171.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 531.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url , .
- Floral almanac: containing the flowering season of one thousand and seven hundred phaenogamous plants of Florida / by A. Schaffranek. Palatka, Fla.: Palatka News Pub. Co., 1888. url p. 12.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 124.
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 175.
- Flowers and ferns in their haunts, by Mabel Osgood Wright with illustrations from photographs by the author and J. Horace McFarland. London, The Macmillan company, 1901. url p. 452.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 501, p. 567.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp; New York, Harper & Brothers, 1899. url .
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url .
- Forests and dunes, from Point Betsie to Sleeping Bear, Evanston, Ill., Northwestern university[c1922] url p. 13.
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 216.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , , p. 245, p. 263, p. 296, p. 304, p. 310, p. 403, p. 404, p. 427.
- Garden guide, the amateur gardener's handbook; how to plan, plant and maintain the home grounds, the suburban garden, the city lot. How to grow gook vegetables and fruit. How to care for roses and other favorite flowers, hardy plants, trees, shrub ed. by J. Harrison Dick... New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc.1917 url p. 47.
- Garden guide; the amateur gardeners' handbook. Profusely illustrated with over 275 teaching plans and diagrams and reproduced photographs, all made expressly for this standard text book. Edited by A. T. De La Mare. New York, A. T. De La Mare[c1920] url p. 61.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 228, p. 312.
- Geology of the county of Cape May, state of New Jersey. Trenton, Printed at the office of the True American, 1857. url .
- Grand Rapids flora: a catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Grand Rapids, Mich., A. Van Dort, 1901. url p. 142.
- Gray's new manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, New York, American Book Co.[c1908] url .
- Growth of plants; twenty years' research at Boyce Thompson Institute. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp., 1948. url p. 113, p. 116, p. 459.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 427.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 427.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- Handbook of the wild and cultivated flowering plants, by Chester Arthur Darling... Syracuse andThe Mason-Henry press,  url p. 67.
- Hardy ornamental flowering trees and shrubs / by A. D. Webster. London: Smith, Elder, 1908. url p. 197.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 492, p. 552.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 770.
- History of the town of Hingham, Massachusetts. [Hingham]: Pub. by the town, 1893. url p. 147.
- How to know the wild flowers: a guide to the names, haunts, and habits of our common wild flowers / by Mrs. William Starr Dana [i.e. F.T.S.D. Parsons]; illustrated by Marion Satterlee and Elsie Louise Shaw. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913. url , p. 26, p. 338.
- How to know wild fruits; a guide to plants when not in flower by means of fruit and leaf; by Mary Elisabeth Herbert. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url , , p. 238, p. 340.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building, and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, starting with small capital, by Joseph Dillaway Sawyer. .. New York: Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.], 1914. url p. 369.
- Insects of New Jersey; a list of the species occurring in New Jersey, with notes on those of economic importance, by John B. Smith. Trenton, N. J., MacCrellish & Quigley, state printers, 1900. url p. 343.
- Insecutor inscitiae menstruus. Washington, D.C.: [Harrison G. Dyar], 1913-1926. url p. 57.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 171.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 474.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 145, p. 145.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy url p. 167, p. 43, p. 81, p. 84.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 38 1937 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url , p. 36, p. 74, p. 74.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 420.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 420.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 420, p. 508.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 16, p. 23, p. 34.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 304.
- List of plants collected by Mr. B. Billings in the vicinity of the city of Ottawa, during the summer of 1866 Ottawa?: Ottawa Natural History Society?, 1866? url .
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , , , p. 33, p. 42, p. 46, p. 53, p. 56, p. 61, p. 71.
- Making the grounds attractive with shrubbery, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url p. 42.
- Manual of gardening; a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use, New York, The Macmillan company, 1910. url p. 305.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 870, p. 871.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1270.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 436.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 9 1900 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 283.
- Message from the President of the United States, transmitting a report of the secretary of agriculture in relation to the forests, rivers and mountains of the southern Appalachian region. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1902. url p. 109.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 51.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url p. 34.
- Miscellaneous contributions, micro-lepidoptera, 1902-10 / Kearfott. [s.l.: s.n., 1902-10]. url p. 161.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 161, p. 215, p. 67.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 322.
- Narrative of the Arctic land expedition to the mouth of the Great Fish River and along the shores of the Arctic Ocean in the years 1833, 1834, and 1835 by Captain Back. Philadelphia: E.L. Carey & A. Hart, 1836. url .
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 41.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url , , , , p. 282.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 306, p. 306, p. 307, p. 307.
- Nature's garden: With many color illustrations. Garden City, N. Y., : Garden City Pub. Co., [c1900] url .
- Nature's garden: an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors / text by Neltje Blanchan; with colored plates and many other illustratins potographed directly form nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1900. url p. 407.
- Nature's garden; an aid to knowledge of our wild flowers and their insect visitors. With colored plates and many other illus. photographed directly from nature by Henry Troth and A. R. Dugmore. Text by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] 1922 Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 407.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 107, p. 168, p. 200.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 758.
- Notes on the flora of Connecticut. by A.W. Driggs. [Hartford]: State Board of Education, 1902. url p. 11.
- Ornamental shrubs of the United States (hardy, cultivated) by Austin Craig Apgar. New York, American Book Company[c1910] url p. 224.
- Our northern shrubs and how to identify them: a handbook for the nature-lover / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922, c1903. url , .
- Pamphlets on forestry in Pennsylvania. [1900?- url p. 219.
- Papilio. New York, New York Entomological Club. url p. 94.
- Parks: a manual of municipal and county parks compiled as a result of a nation-wide study of municipal and county parks conducted by the Playground and Recreation Association of America, in co-operation with edited by L.H. Weir. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co., 1928. url p. 681, p. 682, p. 684, p. 686, p. 688, p. 689, p. 690, p. 691.
- Pennsylvania trees / by J.S. Illick. Harrisburg., Pa.: W. S. Ray, State Printer, 1915. url p. 219.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 506.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 134, p. 14, p. 20, p. 24, p. 37, p. 380, p. 42, p. 45, p. 49, p. 50, p. 53, p. 61, p. 66, p. 88.
- Plant ecology, by W. B. McDougall. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger url p. 284.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 107, p. 743.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 743.
- Postilla. 1979 New Haven, Conn.: Peabody Museum of Natural History, [1950?]-c2004. url p. 11.
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 187, p. 193.
- Practical landscape gardening: the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1916. url .
- Practical landscape gardening; the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch by Robert B. Cridland. New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1918. url p. 102.
- Practical plant propagation; an exposition of the art and science of increasing plants as practiced by the nurseryman, florist and gardener, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 222.
- Preliminary catalogue of the flora of West Virginia. [Chicago?]1892 url p. 374.
- Proceedings commemorative of the centennial anniversary of the first occupation of the hall of the society, November 21, 1889. .. Philadelphia, The society, 1890 url p. 183, p. 193.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 396, p. 396, p. 488.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 183, p. 193.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1012, p. 119, p. 225, p. 315.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 135, p. 386, p. 441, p. 455, p. 460, p. 573, p. 928.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 199, p. 220, p. 220, p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 69, p. 7.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 298, p. 615, p. 727.
- Proceedings. Toronto. url p. 91.
- Profile characteristics of New England forest soils / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 1932. url p. 832.
- Propagation of wild birds; a manual of applied ornithology, treating of practical methods of propagation of quails, grouse, wild turkey, pheasants, partridges, pigeons and doves, and waterfowl, in America, and of attracting and Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1915. url .
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 114, p. 179, p. 276.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 228.
- Reliquiae Baldwinianae: selections from the correspondence of the late William Baldwin with occasional notes, and a short biographical memoir compiled by William Darlington. Philadelphia: Kimber and Sharpless, 1843. url p. 75.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 127, p. 192, p. 61.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , p. 146, p. 193.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 200.
- Report on the botany of Barren and Edmonson counties. Frankfort, 1876 url .
- Report upon forestry. From the committee appointed to memorialize Congress and the state legislatures, regarding the cultivation of timber and the preservation of forests, prepared under the direction of the Commissioner of Agriculture in pursuance of an Act of Congress approved August l5, 1876, by Franklin B. Hough. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1878. url p. 412.
- Reproductive ecology of Conradina verticillata Jennison, a rare, endemic mint of the Cumberland PlateauT'ai Honda Roulston. 1994 1994. url p. 12, p. 13.
- Rhynchophora or weevils of north eastern America, by W.S. Blatchley and C.W. Leng. .. Indianapolis, The Nature Publishing Company, 1916. url p. 89.
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 379.
- Shade gardens / by Oliver E. Allen and the editors of Time-Life Books. Alexandria, Va.: Time-Life Books, c1979. url p. 146.
- Sketches of the physical geography and geology of Nebraska. [n.p.]Daily Republican Book and Job Office[c1880] url p. 95.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1121.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 48.
- Southern wild flowers and trees, together with shrubs, vines and various forms of growth found through the mountains, the middle district and the low country of the South, by Alice Lounsberry, with plates, vignettes and diagrams by Mrs. E. Rowan, with an introduction by C. D. Beadle. New York, Stokes url p. 570.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 146, p. 15.
- Stand dynamics in Connecticut hardwood forests: the old series plots (1927-1997) / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 26.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 522, p. 523.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 49.
- Stout manual training school; a handbook for planning and planting small home grounds. .. with a list of native and commonly cultivated plants that are represented in the collection upon the Stout manual training school grounds. Menomonie, Wis., Stout manual training school, 1899. url p. 36, p. 53, p. 75.
- Studies of Connecticut hardwoods; the treatment of advance growth arising as a result of thinnings and shelterwood cuttings, New Haven, Yale University, 1925. url p. 16.
- Studies of plant life in Canada. Wild flowers, flowering shrubs, and grasses. Toronto: William Briggs, 1906. url , .
- Studies of plant life in Canada: wild flowers, flowering sshrubs, and grasses / by Mrs C.P. Traill; illustrated with 8 reproductions in natural colors and 12 half-tone engravings, from drawings by Mrs. Agnes D. Chamberlin. Toronto: W. Briggs, 1906. url , .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , , , , p. 32, p. 41, p. 7, p. 9.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- Textbook of landscape gardening, designed especially for the use of non-professional students, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1922. url .
- The "Illinois way" of beautifying the farm / by Wilhelm Miller. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1914. url p. 13, p. 29.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 147, p. 38, p. 397, p. 457, p. 5.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 313.
- The American journal of science, & c. New York: J. Eastburn and Co., 1818-1819. url p. 81.
- The American journal of science. 11 1826 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 176, p. 313, p. 375.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 186, p. xvii.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 115.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 114, p. 117, p. 119, p. 228, p. 34, p. 424, p. 477, p. 528, p. 534.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 74.
- The Canadian journal; a repertory of industry, science, and art; and a record of the proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Published by H. Scobie for the Council of the Canadian Institute. url p. 222.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 220, p. 444.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 203, p. 349, p. 573, p. 621.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , p. 544.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 33.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luther Tucker, 1846-1875. url p. 357.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url .
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892 [c1890] url .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 302, p. 471, p. 502, p. 56.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 114, p. 138, p. 59.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 107, p. 114, p. 116, p. 154.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url p. 306.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 222.
- The Southern Appalachian forests, WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1905 url p. 42.
- The Universal herbal; or, Botanical, medical, and agricultural dictionary; containing an account of all the known plants in the world, arranged according to the Linnean system. Specifying the uses to which they are or may be applied, whether as food, as medicine, or in the a London, Caxton Press url p. 865.
- The art of beautifying suburban home grounds of small extend: illustrated by upward of two hundred plates and engravings of plans for residences and their grounds, of trees and shrubs, and garden embellishments; with descriptions of the beautiful and hardy tree by Frank J. Scott. New York: American Book Exchange, Tribune Building, 1881 [c1870] url p. 467.
- The art of landscape architecture, its development and its application to modern landscape gardening, London, G.P. Putnam's sons, 1915. url , .
- The book of woodcraft and Indian lore, with over 500 drawings by the author, Ernest Thompson Seton. .. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1922. url p. 464, p. 590.
- The book of woodcraft. .. New York, The Sun dial press, inc. url p. 464, p. 590.
- The butterflies of North America, by William H. Edwards, series 1st-3d. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1884-88 [v. 1, 1888] url p. 7.
- The butterflies of the eastern United States and Canada: with special reference to New England / By Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Cambridge: The author, 1889. url p. 1955.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 131, p. 173, p. 193, p. 197, p. 314, p. 314.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 150.
- The conservation of the wild life of Canada / by C. Gordon Hewitt. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 186.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 96.
- The drug plants of Illinois / Leo R. Tehon; drawings by Kay H. Wadsworth. Urbana, Ill.: Natural History Survey Division, 1951. url p. 134.
- The flora of Canada, by J. M. Macoun and M. O. Malte. Ottawa: Government printing bureau, 1917. url p. 5.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Montreal Island by Robert Campbell. S.l.: s.n., 1892? url .
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 156.
- The flora of the metamorphic region of Alabama / by F.S. Earle. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1902. url p. 108.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 203, p. 251.
- The geological and natural history survey of Minnesota: the twelfth annual report for the year 1883 / N.H. Winchell. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 66.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 400, p. 400.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 400.
- The gypsy moth. Porthetria dispar (Linn.). A report of the work of destroying the insect in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, together with an account of its history and habits both in Massachusetts and Europe. By Edward H. Forbush. .. and Charles H. Fernald. .. Published under the direction of the State Board of Agriculture by authority of the legislature. Boston: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1896. url p. 320, p. 323, p. 323.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 225.
- The mammals of the Adirondack region, northeastern New York: with an introductory chapter treating of the location and boundaries of the region, its geological history, topography, climate, general features, botany, and faunal position / by Clinton Hart Merriam. New York: Published by the author, 1884 url p. 316.
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 206, p. 246.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 23.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 136.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 205, p. 217, p. 233, p. 241, p. 259, p. 264, p. 279, p. 485, p. 532.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 111.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 708.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 708.
- The preservation and management of vegetation in ravines in Highland Park, Illinois: a report / prepared by Kenneth R. Robertson and E. B. Himelick of the Illinois Natural History Survey, Urbana, Illinois. Urbana: The Survey, 1977. url p. 13.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2692, p. 2693, p. 2694, p. 2695, p. 2699, p. 3457, p. 3464.
- The woods and by-ways of New England. Boston, J.R. Osgood url , p. 442.
- Through glade and mead; a contribution to local natural history, Worcester, Mass., Putnam, Davis and Company, [c1894] url .
- Timber and botany. comprising seven reports on the forests and botany of different parts of the state / Geological Survey of Kentucky. [S.l.]: The Survey, 1884. url p. 50.
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 17.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 12, p. 138, p. 140, p. 144, p. 148, p. 157, p. 168, p. 172, p. 176, p. 177, p. 179, p. 180, p. 198, p. 203, p. 210, p. 241, p. 251, p. 254, p. 258, p. 26, p. 267, p. 283, p. 291, p. 301, p. 31, p. 315, p. 56, p. 8.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 52.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 184.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 269.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url .
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 103, p. 145, p. 172, p. 180, p. 203, p. 43, p. 49, p. 96.
- Transactions of the Linnaean Society of New York. New York: The Society, 1882- url p. 232.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 169, p. 173, p. 355, p. 84.
- Transactions of the Scientific Association, Meriden, Conn. [Meriden, Conn.: Meriden Scientific Association], 1885. url p. 65.
- Transactions of the State Agricultural Society. .. Lansing: The Society, 1850-1856. url p. 422.
- Tree, Shrub & fruit seeds... S.l.:s.n., 1910? url .
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 642, p. 80.
- Trees and shrubs of Central Park, New York, Manhattan press[c1903] url , .
- Trees and shrubs of Central Park, by Louis Harman Peet. New York, Manhattan press, [c1903] url p. 186, p. 186, p. 214, p. 214.
- Trees and shrubs of Prospect park, New York, The Greenwich printing company[c1906] url p. 24.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 642, p. 80.
- Trees for Long Island. [S.l.:s.n.], 1908. url p. 22, p. 65.
- Trees, shrubs and vines of the northeastern United States. .. together with an account of the principal foreign hardy trees, shrubs and vines cultivated in our country, and found in Central Park, New York City by H.E. Parkhurst. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1903. url p. 269, p. 450.
- Trends and silvicultural significance of upland forest successions in southern New England, New Haven, Yale University, 1928 url p. 18, p. 24, p. 66.
- Useful birds and their protection. Containing brief descriptions of the more common and useful species of Massachusetts, with accounts of their food habits, and a chapter on the means of attracting and protecting birds. [Boston, Printed by Wright & Potter]1913. url .
- West Virginia trees. [Morgantown] url p. 235.
- Wild bird guests; how to entertain them; with chapters on the destruction of birds, their economic and aesthetic values, suggestions for dealing with their enemies, and on the organization and management of bird clubs, New York, E. P. Dutton & Company, 1915. url .
- Wild flowers of the north-eastern states: being three hundred and eight individuals common to the north-eastern United States, New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1904. url .
- Window gardening, and a list of some of the flowers found growing naturally in the vicinity of Boston. .. [Boston]: Massachusetts Horticultural Society, c1889. url p. 13.
- Woodland idyls, by W. S. Blatchley... Indianapolis: The Nature publishing company, 1912. url p. 78.
- Woody plants in winter; a manual of common trees and shrubs in winter in the Northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, by Earl L. Core and Nelle P. Ammons. Pittsburgh, Boxwood Press url p. 191, p. 192, p. 195.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- US National Plant Germplasm System, United States National Plant Germplasm System Collection
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657149
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35255
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13756734
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:149531-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 80372
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35255
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 149530-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VIACO
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67787