A common active ingredient in non-prescription tranquilizers and insomnia medications. Unlike some prescription sleep aids, it appears not to cause adverse side effects. It is also effective for treating nervousness and anxiety. In addition, the plant may assist in treating high blood pressure .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Baldrian, Laege Baldrian
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
All Heal, Common Valerian, Garden Heliotrope, Garden Valerian, Garden-Heliotrope, Valerian
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Amantilla, Baldriana, Erva Gatta, Valeriana
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Common Names in Swedish:
herbs with aromatic
underground parts. Leaves entire or divided
. Flowers white or pink in corymbose
cymes, panicles or heads
; upper bracts opposite. Calyx unrolled in fruit into a plumose
pappus. Corolla 5-lobed, often gibbous
at the base
. Stamens 3. Stigma 2-3-fid or simple
. Ovary 3-locular, with only 1 fertile
locule. Achene crowned by the persistent
pappose calyx, dorsally
3-ribbed, ventrally 1-ribbed, glabrous
A genus of over 200 species. Widely distributed in the temperate regions of Asia, Africa, Europe and N. & S. America. Represented here by 9 or 10 species.
It is often difficult to identify the valerians without the basal leaves (which may shed early), underground and fruiting parts.
Flowers: Bloom Period: June. • Flower Color: near white, pale pink, white
Size: 4-6' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,642 meters (0 to 5,387 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Order: Dipsacales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Superorder: Dipsacanae () - (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : L. & Maillefer Publication : Mem. Soc. Vaud. Sci. Nat. viii. 333 (1946), descr. emend.
Members of the genus Valeriana
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 34 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
V. acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. acutiloba (Sharpleaf Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. pubicarpa (Hairyfruit Valeriana) · V. arizonica (Arizona Tobaccoroot) · V. californica (California Valerian) · V. capitata (Captiate Valerian) · V. capitata acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. columbiana (Wenatchee Valerian) · V. dioica (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica simplicifolia (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica var. sylvatica (Woods Valeriana) · V. edulis (Edible Valerian) · V. edulis ciliata var. ciliata (Taproot Valerian) · V. edulis var. ciliata (Tobacco Root) · V. edulis var. edulis (Tobacco Root) · V. jatamansi (Indian Valerian) · V. occidentalis (Small-Flower Valerian) · V. officinalis (All Heal) · V. officinalis excelsa (Garden Heliotrope) · V. officinalis 'Arterner Zuchtung' (All Heal) · V. officinalis 'Sweet Kathi' (Sweet Kathi Garden Heliotrope) · V. pauciflora (Largeflower Valerian) · V. sambucifolia (Valerian) · V. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. candolleana (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scouleri (Scouler's Valerian) · V. sisymbriifolia (Valerian) · V. sitchensis (Sitka Valerian) · V. sitchensis sitchensis (Pacific Valerian) · V. sitchensis uliginosa (Marsh Valerian) · V. sorbifolia (Pineland Valerian) · V. texana (Guadalupe Valerian) · V. uliginosa (Marsh Valerian)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 54, p. 64.
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 474.
- A condensed compendium of pharmaceutical knowledge; a quiz book, by H.C. Gray and C.H. Bryan. Chicago, Gray & Bryan, 1892. url p. 148.
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, & co., ltd., 1892. url , , p. 80, p. 81.
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 69.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 106.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 140, p. 35, p. 51, p. 63.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 387, p. 425.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 27, p. 674.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 196.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 118.
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url .
- A further contribution to a comparative study of the dominant phanerogamic and higher cryptogamic flora of aquatic habit in Scottish lakes / by George West. Edinburgh: R. Grant, 1910. url p. 122, p. 132, p. 160, p. 77.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url p. 491.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 234.
- A handbook of British Lepidoptera, by Edward Meyrick. London, Macmillan, 1895. url p. 188, p. 188.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 557, p. 558.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 558.
- A handbook to the flora of Natal / by J. Medley Wood. Durban, Natal: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1907. url p. 63.
- A history of Longridge and district. PrestonPrinted by C.W. Whitehead1888 url p. 263.
- A history of gardening in England, London, J. Murray, 1910. url .
- A little book of perennials, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, N. Y., The A. T. De La Mare1923. url p. 34, p. 35.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 590.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 411, p. xvii.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url , .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url fig. 431, p. 741, p. 857.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url , .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 128.
- A monograph of the British phytophagous Hymenoptera. .. By Peter Cameron. London, Printed for the Ray Society, 1882-93. url p. 339, p. 36.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 106, p. 207, p. 5.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 106, p. 207, p. 5.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 130, p. 133, p. 134, p. 138, p. 75.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 59.
- A season among the wildflowers / by the Rev. Henry Wood. London: .W. S. Sonnenschein, 1883. url p. 194.
- A second supplement to, and summary of Stewart and Corry's flora of the North-east of Ireland / compiled by Sylvanus Wear, with an introduction by R. Lloyd Praeger. Belfast: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club, 1923. url p. 53.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 661.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 135.
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 329, p. 332.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 416, p. 504.
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 157, p. 743.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 675, p. 676.
- A text-book of mycology and plant pathology / Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co.c1917. url .
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 455, p. 578.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url .
- An anatomical atlas of vegetable powders. London, Churchill, 1904. url p. 16.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1587, p. 389, p. 61.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 13.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 284, p. 286.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 601.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 59.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 656.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 83.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 624.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 121.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 82.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 256, p. 707.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url , p. 256, p. 707.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 324, p. 4, p. 70.
- Augustana Library publications. Rock Island, Ill.: Augustana College and Theological Seminary, 1898-1981. url p. 96.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 42 - 46 1973 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 12, p. 14, p. 29, p. 50, p. 90.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 530.
- Book of garden plans, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1916. url .
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 332.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 28 1980-1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 189, p. 378.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 189, p. 240, p. 457.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 219, p. 254.
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 516.
- British and European butterflies and moths (Macrolepidoptera). By A. W. Kappel. .. and W. Egmont Kirby. .. With thirty coloured plates by H. Deuchert and S. Slocombe. Printed in [Nuremberg] Bavaria. London, E. Nister; url p. 243.
- British bee-farming; its profits and pleasures. London, Chapman and Hall, limited, 1880. url .
- British flowering plants. By W. F. Kirby. With 120 coloured plates, showing the most important characters of each plant figured; and 119 illustrations in the text. London, Sidney Appleton, 1906. url , p. 213, p. 88.
- British fungus-flora. A classified text-book of mycology. London, G. Bell & Sons, 1892-95. url .
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 72.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 243.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 29 1940 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 7.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 624.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 225.
- Bulletin / Ontario Department of Agriculture. Toronto: The Dept., [1905- url p. 25.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 32, p. 72.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1917 1917 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 269, p. 30, p. 31.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 127, p. 160, p. 228, p. 90.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 123, p. 221.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , , , , , , , , .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 13, p. 237, p. 258.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 225.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 211, p. 394, p. 48, p. 531, p. 611, p. 666.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 211, p. 394, p. 400, p. 48, p. 531, p. 611, p. 666.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 84.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 370.
- Catalogue of the science collections for teaching and research in the South Kensington Museum. .. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891- url p. 101.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 79.
- Class-book of botany being outlines of the structures, physiology, and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. Cincinnati: American Book Co., c1881. url .
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 388, p. 391, p. 78, p. 94.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 329.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 28 1943 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 665, p. 694, p. XIII.
- Contributions to the flora and fauna of Repton and neighbourhood. London, Bemrose, 1881. url p. 25.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url .
- Cryptogamic plants of the USSR. (Flora sporovykh rastenii SSSR) Translated from Russian. Jerusalem[Published for the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 19 - url p. 239.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture: comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants sold in the United States and Canada, together with ge by L.H. Bailey, assisted by Wilhelm Miller and many expert cultivators and botanists, illustrated with two thousand eight hundred original engravings. New York: Macmillan, 1906, c1900-02. url p. 1597.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 466, p. 698.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 466, p. 698.
- Cyclopedia of practical floriculture, edited by C. H. Turner. New York, T. MacCoun, 1884. url p. 308.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 146, p. 340, p. 468.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 653, p. 781.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites; introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae, by Dr. Karl freiherr von Tubeuf. .. London, New York [etc.]: Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url p. 356.
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1914] url .
- Epping Forest / by Edward North Buxton. London: E. Stanford, 1885. url p. 121.
- Essays in geobotany in honor of William Albert Setchell, edited by T.H. Goodspeed. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1936. url p. 7.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 252.
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url p. 404.
- Field and woodland plants / by W. S. Furneaux. London; Longmans, Green, and Co., 1909 url p. 142.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 142.
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url p. 586.
- Field book of american wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews... with numerous reproductions of water colors and pen-and-ink studies from nature by the author. New York, G.P. Putnam, 1902. url p. 551.
- Field, forest and garden botany: a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book, c1895. url p. 218.
- Field, forest, and garden botany; a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated, by Asa Gray. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url p. 218.
- Five hundred pointes of good husbandrie. The ed. of 1580 collated with those of 1573 and 1577. Together with a reprint from the unique copy in the British Museum, of A hundreth good pointes of husbandrie, 1557. LondonPublished for the English Dialect Society by Trübner1878 url p. 348.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 254.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , p. 354.
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 29.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 28.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1094, p. 891.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 845.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 297.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride; B.E. Dahlgren, editor. 13 1937 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 288.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 186, p. 411.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 248.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited (for the Bristol Naturalists' Society) by James Walter White. .. Bristol, J. Fawn & Son [etc.]1881- url p. 93.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 561, p. 577, p. 578, p. 594, p. 600, p. 605, p. 730.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , , , , , , , p. 88.
- Flower gardening, New York, bMcBride, Nast & company, 1913. url , .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 196.
- Flowers of the Engadine. Drawn from nature. Winchester, Printed for the Author by Warren and Son, 1891. url .
- Flowers of the field, by the late Rev. C. A. Johns. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1911. url p. 240.
- Flowers of the field. London, G. Routledge, 1908. url .
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 544.
- Forestry. London: W. Rider, [1883-1886]. url p. 263.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 185.
- Fritz Bahr's commercial floriculture; a practical manual for the retail grower, New York, The A. T. De la Mare company, inc.[c1922] url , .
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish) Collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, Eng EdinburghBlackwood1883 url p. 35.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , , p. 241, p. 267, p. 274.
- Garden guide; the amateur gardeners' handbook. Profusely illustrated with over 275 teaching plans and diagrams and reproduced photographs, all made expressly for this standard text book. Edited by A. T. De La Mare. New York, A. T. De La Mare[c1920] url p. 222.
- Genesis and development of sand formations on marine coasts, Rock Island, Ill., Augustana Book Concern, Printers, 1910. url .
- Global Biodiversity: status of the Earth's living resources WCMC url p. 352.
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 177.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 127, p. 228, p. 90.
- Guide to the autumn flowers of Minnesota, field and garden. [By] F. E. Clements, C. O. Rosendahl and F. K. Butters. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, 1913. url p. 32.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 84.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 550, p. 93, p. viii.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , .
- Handbook of plants. New York: P. Henderson, 1881. url p. 238.
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , , .
- Hardy plants for cottage gardens, by Helen R. Albee; illustrated from photographs. New York, H. Holt and company, 1910. url , p. 180, p. 34.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 16, p. 188.
- Histology of medicinal plants, New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916 url p. 192.
- Histology of medicinal plants, by William Mansfield. New York, J. Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1916. url p. 192.
- Histology of medicinal plants. New YorkWiley1916 url p. 192.
- History of the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, instituted September 22, 1831 [Vol. 1 of proceedings, corr. and reprinted] Alnwick, H.H. Blair, 1885. url p. 57.
- History of the vegetable drugs of the Pharmacopeia of the United States / Cincinnati, O.: J. U. & C. G. Lloyd, 1911. url p. 89.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 108.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 213.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building, and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, starting with small capital, by Joseph Dillaway Sawyer. .. New York: Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.], 1914. url p. 373.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam; or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa. By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku, Pub. by the Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 83.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 268, p. 307.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Index of British plants according to the London catalogue... London: G. Bell, 1889. url p. 89.
- Injurious insects and the use of insecticides a new descriptive manual on noxious insects, with methods for their repression / Philadelphia: W. Atlee Burpee & Co., 1894. url p. 108.
- Insects. Ottawa: T. Mulvey [etc.], 1919-1920. url p. 45.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 430, p. 550.
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a fifth and revised edition of The botanical text-book / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, 1877. url p. 435.
- Irish ethno-botany and the evolution of medicine in Ireland. Dublin, M. H. Gill, 1919. url , p. 96.
- Japanese sword-mounts in the collections of Field Museum / by Helen C. Gunsaulus, assistant curator of Japanese ethnology, 61 plates. Berthold Laufer, Curator of Anthropology. Chicago, 1923. url p. 156.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 324.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 170, p. 170.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 16 1915 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 161.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 252.
- La biologie des plantes. .. Gene?ve [etc.]E?dition Atar[1917- url .
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 38.
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 103, p. 12, p. 62, p. 71.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jönsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York: G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 319.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Julius von Sachs, translated by H. Marshall Ward. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 835.
- Lessons in Elementary Botany, the part of Systematic Botany based upon material left in manuscript by the late Prof. Henslow. London, MacMillan, 1888. url p. 171.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 183, p. 206, p. 363.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 307.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 49.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 104, p. 109, p. 111, p. 112, p. 118, p. 129, p. 131, p. 136, p. 137, p. 139, p. 140, p. 146, p. 149, p. 80, p. 91.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book Co., c1889. url p. 735.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 878, p. 879.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 138.
- Medicinal herb trial 1996 / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 20, p. 6.
- Medicinal plants. Being descriptions with original figures of the principal plants employed in medicine and an account of the characters, properties, and uses of their parts and products of medicinal value. By Robert Bentley and Henry Trimen. Plates by David Blair. In four volumes. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1880. url , .
- Memoir / Ithaca, N.Y. url p. 967.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 9 1900 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 283, p. 307.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 466, p. 52.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 132, p. 186, p. 204.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 67.
- Miyabe-festschrift, or A collection of botanical papers presented to Prof. Dr. Kingo Miyabe on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of his academic service by his friends and pupils. Tokio, Rokumeikwan, 1911. url p. 335.
- My garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. .. illustrated by Will Simmons. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page & company, [c1916] url p. 74, p. 74.
- New illustrated encyclopedia of gardening, unabridged. Edited by T.H. Everett, with contributions from twenty horticulturists and authorities in the United States and Canada. New York, Greystone Press[1964-] url p. 76.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 8 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 131.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 133, p. 149, p. 231, p. 307, p. 365, p. 38, p. 39, p. 424, p. 84, p. 90, p. 91.
- Notes on the life history of British flowering plants, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1905. url .
- Odorographia: a natural history of raw materials and drugs used in the perfume industry: intended to serve growers, manufacturers and consumers / by J. Ch. Sawer. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1892-1894. url p. 281, p. 283.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 300.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 300.
- Old-fashioned gardening; a history and a reconstruction, by Grace Tabor. New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url p. 221.
- On British wild flowers considered in relation to insects / by Sir John Lubbock; with numerous illustrations. London; Macmillan, 1890. url p. 117.
- Origin and history of all the pharmacopeial vegetable drugs, chemicals and preparations with bibliography... Prepared under the auspices of and pub. by the American drug manufacturers' association, Washington, D.C. Cincinnati: The Caxton press, [c1921] url p. 339, p. 340, p. 449.
- Ornamental gardening for Americans: a treatise on beautifying homes, rural districts, towns, and cemeteries / by Elias A. Long. New York: O. Judd, 1885. url p. 145.
- Our garden flowers; a popular study of their native lands, their life histories, and their structural affiliations, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1910. url , .
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url .
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 155.
- Perennial medicinal herb trials, 1996-1999 / New Haven: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 20.
- Pharmaceutical botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1914] url , .
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 402, p. 403.
- Pharmacographia: a history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin met with in Great Britain and British India / by Friedrich A. Flückiger and Daniel Hanbury. London: Macmillan, 1879. url p. 377.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 508.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 387.
- Plants poisonous to live stock / Cambridge: University Press, 1917. url , .
- Plants poisonous to live stock, by Harold C. Long. .. Cambridge: University press, 1917. url p. 105, p. 93.
- Plants poisonous to live stock. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1917. url , , .
- Poisonous plants of all countries, by A. Bernhard-Smith. London, Baillière, Tindall & Cox, 1923. url p. 94.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 341, p. 348.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 47.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 10, p. 145, p. 52.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 289, p.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 159, p.
- Price list of chemical and bacteriological apparatus, chemicals and reagents manufactured and sold by Baird [and] Tatlock (London) Ltd. London, Baird [and] Tatlock, 1914. url p. 1067, p. 855.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 127, p. 134.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 1016.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 28, p. 28.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 22.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 112, p. 112, p. 121, p. 16, p. 16, p. 56, p. 65, p. 72, p. 98.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 474, p. 676.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 394.
- Quarterly / Women's National Agricultural and Horticultural Association. Cheltenham, Pa.: Published quarterly for W.N.A. and H.A. by J.B. Haines, - url p. 3.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 228, p. 639.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Report of the botanist / G. P. Clinton. [New Haven]: Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 1903-1911. url p. 351.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 451.
- Rust, smut, mildew & mould. An introduction to the study of microscopic fungi. London, W. H. Allen, 1902. url .
- Rust, smut, mildew & mould; an introduction to the study of microscopic fungi / by M.C. Cooke; illustrated with 269 coloured figures by J.E. Sowerby. 1898 London: W.H. Allen, 1898. url p. 197, p. 201, p. 222.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 144, p. 167, p. 172, p. 91.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 653.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell. .. illustrated by Mary G. W. Wilson. London: E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 55.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 555, p. 616.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 350.
- Species and varieties, their origin by mutation; lectures delivered at the University of California Chicago, The Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1906. url , .
- Species and varieties: their origin by mutation / lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo DeVries; edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago: The Open Court; 1906, c1904. url .
- Species and varieties; their origin by mutation. Lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo De Vries. Edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago, K. Paul, Trench, Truber, 1906 [c1904] url p. 402, p. 843.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 520.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 706, p. 708, p. 775.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 141, p. 386.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 784.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2128.
- The Alumni journal. New York: Alumni Association of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, 1894-1896. url p. 117.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 20.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1162, p. 1201, p. 171, p. 461, p. 493, p. 529, p. 588, p. 747.
- The American flower garden / by Neltje Blanchan; planting lists by Leonard Barron; illustrated with one hundred full-page photographs. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1909. url p. 65.
- The American flower garden, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1909. url p. 65.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 132, p. 168, p. 188, p. 231, p. 231, p. 240, p. 37, p. 39, p. 53.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 446.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 62 1948 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 201, p. 583, p. 89.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 106, p. 131.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 118, p. 191, p. 204, p. 244, p. 247, p. 258, p. 264, p. 272, p. 41, p. 55, p. 67, p. 91, p. 93.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 147, p. 147, p. 16, p. 262, p. 274, p. 6.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 138.
- The Faras-na?ma-e Rangi?n; or, The book of the horse, by "Rangin" [pseud.] Tr. from the Urdu by Lieut.-Colonel D. C. Phillott. .. London, B. Quaritch, 1911. url p. 82.
- The Faras-nama-e Rangin; or, The book of the horse, LondonB. Quaritch1911 url p. 82.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1141, p. 1238, p. 1260, p. 1289, p. 1452, p. 1480, p. 1501, p. 153, p. 349, p. 5.
- The Gaelic names of plants (Scottish, Irish, and Manx), collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaeli Glasgow, J. Mackay, 1900. url .
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 10, p. 128, p. 150, p. 16, p. 218, p. 7, p. 78, p. 9.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 69.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 167, p. 222, p. 60, p. 99.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 205.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 504, p. 571.
- The Lepidoptera of the British Islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, their preparatory states, habits, and localities / by Charles G. Barrett. London: L. Reeve, 1893-1907. url p. 56.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 278, p. 71.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 300.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 300.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 135, p. 159, p. 190, p. 83.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 166, p. 166.
- The Popular educator: a complete encyclopaedia of elementary, advanced and technical education. London, Cassell url p. 248.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 762, p. 862.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 332.
- The Scottish botanical review. Edinburgh: Neill & Co., 1912. url p. 156.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url , .
- The Victoria history of the county of Bedford. Westminster[A. Constable]1904-12. url , p. 49, p. 52.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 454.
- The book of herbs / London; J. Lane, 1903. url .
- The botany of Iceland, edited by L. Kolderup Rosenvinge and Eug. Warming. Copenhagen, J. Frimodt, 1912- url p. 330.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 32.
- The chemical synthesis of vital products and the interrelations between organic compounds / By Raphael Meldola. London: E. Arnold, 1904. url p. 183, p. 90.
- The complete herbalist, or The people their own physicians by the use of nature's remedies: describing the great curative properties found in the herbal kingdom. .. / by Dr. O. Phelps Brown. Jersey City, N. J.: Published by the author, 1897. url p. 503.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 159.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 145.
- The crane-flies of New York. Part II. Biology and phylogeny, by Charles Paul Alexander. Ithaca, 1920 url p. 967.
- The crane-flies of New York. [Ithaca]1919-1920. url p. 967.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 13, p. 13, p. 237, p. 258.
- The drug plants of Illinois / Leo R. Tehon; drawings by Kay H. Wadsworth. Urbana, Ill.: Natural History Survey Division, 1951. url p. 116, p. 134.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The entomologist's log-book and dictionary of the life histories and food plants of the British Macro-Lepidoptera, giving many thousands of facts and data connected with the appearance of the ova, larvæ, pupæ, and imagines: methods of capture: habitats: food plants: authorities: synonyms: etc., in Latin and Englis by Alfred George Scorer. London, G. Routledge & sons, limited, 1913. url , p. 157.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 306, p. 308, p. 668.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 153, p. 267, p. 47, p. 63, p. 81.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 211, p. 212, p. 213, p. 216, p. 88.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 211, p. 212, p. 213, p. 216.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 52.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Oxfordshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with sketches of the progress of Oxfordshire botany during the last three centuries, and London, Parker and Co., 1886. url .
- The flora of Suffolk a topographical enumeration of the plants of the county, showing the results of former observations and of the most recent researches / by W.M. Hind; assisted by Churchill Babington; with an introductory chapter of the geology, climate and meteorology of Suffolk by Wheelton Hind. London: Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 189.
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 154.
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 154.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, by Alfred W. Bennett. .. London, Nimmo, 1900. url p. 154.
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 272.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 251.
- The floral kingdom: its history, sentiment and poetry: A dictionary of more than three hundred plants, with the genera and families to which they belong, and the language of each illustrated with appropriate gems to poe Chicago: M. Warren, 1877, c1876. url .
- The flowers of Japan and the art of floral arrangement. By Josiah Conder, with illustrations by Japanese artists. Tokio, Hakubunsha; [etc., etc.]1891. url , .
- The fungus flora of Yorkshire. A complete account of the known fungi of the county. By G. Massee and C. Crossland. London, A. Brown, 1905. url p. 187.
- The garden bluebook; a manual of the perennial garden, by Leicester Bodine Holland. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday,  url p. 218, p. 227, p. 229, p. 230, p. 233, p. 234.
- The herb-garden. With sixteen illustrations in colour drawn from nature by Florence Amherst and Isabelle Forrest. London, A. & C. Black, ltd., 1911. url .
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 353.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 473.
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 509.
- The microanalysis of powdered vegetable drugs, by Albert Schneider. .. with 237 illustrations Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1921] url p. 528.
- The moths of the British Isles / by Richard South. London; Frederick Warne & Co., [1920?] url p. 125, p. 244.
- The moths of the British Isles, by Richard South. London, F. Warne & Co., 1907-09. url p. 244.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. .. tr. by Prof. J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. .. Chicago, Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1909-10. url p. 316, p. 318, p. 517, p. 521, p. 529, p. 533, p. 543, p. 547.
- The names of herbes, A.D. 1548. Edited, with an introd., an index of English names, and an indentification of the plants enumerated by Turner, LondonPublished for the English Dialect Society by N. Trübner1881 url p. 134.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , , , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 432, p. 981.
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 222, p. 258, p. 267.
- The origin of the British flora / London: Dulau, 1899. url , , , , , , , .
- The origin of the British flora. LondonDulau1899 url p. 127, p. 174, p. 190, p. 55, p. 57, p. 73, p. 87.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 11, p. 43.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 368.
- The root habits of desert plants, by William Austin Cannon. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1911. url p. 10.
- The root habits of desert plants. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1911 url p. 10.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3426, p. 75.
- The student's flora of the British islands / by Sir J.D. Hooker. London: Macmillan, 1884. url p. 197.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , , , p. 103, p. 146, p. 187, p. 217, p. 50.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 202.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , , , , .
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 733, p. 762, p. 806.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 100, p. 104, p. 115, p. 153, p. 169, p. 199, p. 251, p. 27.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , , , , , p. 108, p. 114, p. 114, p. 137, p. 145, p. 471, p. 471, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 40, p. 46, p. 90.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 298, p. 300, p. 303, p. 97.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 256, p. 256.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 240.
- Transactions of the Sapporo Natural History Society. Sapporo, Japan, Sapporo Natural History Society, Hokkaido Imperial University. url p. 139, p. 139, p. 155.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 209, p. 214, p. 220.
- Travels of Ruiz, Pavón, and Dombey in Peru and Chile (1777-1788) / by Hipólito Ruiz; with an epilogue and official documents added by Agustín Jesús Barreiro; translation by B.E. Dahlgren. 21 1940 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1940. url p. 210.
- Trees for Long Island. [S.l.:s.n.], 1908. url p. 29.
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 72, p. 76.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 72, p. 76, p. 88, p. 94.
- Veterinary materia medica and therapeutics / Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1919. url .
- Veterinary medicines 1911 url p. 596.
- Veterinary toxicology. Chicago, A. Eger, 1912. url .
- Wayside and woodland blossoms: a pocket guide to British wild-flowers for the country rambler / by Edward Step. London; F. Warne, 1895. url .
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 238, p. 73.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 238.
- Wild flowers. London, Dodge url p. 60.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 185.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 148.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Vegetation surveys of coastal shingle in Great Britain
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- US National Plant Germplasm System, United States National Plant Germplasm System Collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657229
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35363
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5304283
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:860013-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 400139
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35363
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 860013-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VAOF
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67503
- "Valeriana". in Flora of Pakistan Page 2.. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 131.900 meters (432.743 feet), Standard Deviation = 170.960 based on 20,000 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]