Common Names in English:
Edible Valerian, Taproot Valerian, Tobacco Root, Tobaccoroot
herbs with aromatic
underground parts. Leaves entire or divided
. Flowers white or pink in corymbose
cymes, panicles or heads
; upper bracts opposite. Calyx unrolled in fruit into a plumose
pappus. Corolla 5-lobed, often gibbous
at the base
. Stamens 3. Stigma 2-3-fid or simple
. Ovary 3-locular, with only 1 fertile
locule. Achene crowned by the persistent
pappose calyx, dorsally
3-ribbed, ventrally 1-ribbed, glabrous
A genus of over 200 species. Widely distributed in the temperate regions of Asia, Africa, Europe and N. & S. America. Represented here by 9 or 10 species.
It is often difficult to identify the valerians without the basal leaves (which may shed early), underground and fruiting parts.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Dipsacanae () - (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
: Nutt. Publication
N. Amer. (Torr. & A.
Gray) ii. 48
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Valeriana
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 34 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
V. acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. acutiloba (Sharpleaf Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. pubicarpa (Hairyfruit Valeriana) · V. arizonica (Arizona Tobaccoroot) · V. californica (California Valerian) · V. capitata (Captiate Valerian) · V. capitata acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. columbiana (Wenatchee Valerian) · V. dioica (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica simplicifolia (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica var. sylvatica (Woods Valeriana) · V. edulis (Edible Valerian) · V. edulis ciliata var. ciliata (Taproot Valerian) · V. edulis var. ciliata (Tobacco Root) · V. edulis var. edulis (Tobacco Root) · V. jatamansi (Indian Valerian) · V. occidentalis (Small-Flower Valerian) · V. officinalis (All Heal) · V. officinalis excelsa (Garden Heliotrope) · V. officinalis 'Arterner Zuchtung' (All Heal) · V. officinalis 'Sweet Kathi' (Sweet Kathi Garden Heliotrope) · V. pauciflora (Largeflower Valerian) · V. sambucifolia (Valerian) · V. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. candolleana (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scouleri (Scouler's Valerian) · V. sisymbriifolia (Valerian) · V. sitchensis (Sitka Valerian) · V. sitchensis sitchensis (Pacific Valerian) · V. sitchensis uliginosa (Marsh Valerian) · V. sorbifolia (Pineland Valerian) · V. texana (Guadalupe Valerian) · V. uliginosa (Marsh Valerian)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A contribution to the knowledge of the flora of southeastern Minnesota. [Boston, Heliotype Print. Co.]1900. url p. 367, p. 408.
- A flora of northwest America, containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia. Portland, Or., 1903. url .
- A flora of northwest America: containing brief descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing without cultivation north of California, west of Utah, and south of British Columbia / by Thomas Howell. Vol. 1, Phanerogamae. Portland, Or.: [s.n.], 1903. url p. 287, p. 287.
- A manual of the flora of northern Idaho /Carl Epling and Joe Ewan. 3 1941 1941. url p. 733.
- A preliminary list of the Hemiptera of Colorado / by C. P. Gillette and Carl [i.e. Charles] F. Baker. Fort Collins, Colo.: American Standard, 1895. url p. 121.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 56.
- A study of the vegetation of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho. .. Lincoln, Neb. url p. 43, p. 54.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- An analytical key to some of the common flowering plants of the Rocky Mountain region / New York: D. Appleton, 1902. url .
- An essay toward a natural history of La Salle County, Illinois, in two parts / J. W. Huett. Ottawa, Illinois: Fair-dealer print, 1898. url p. 86.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 284, p. 285.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 690.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 125.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Annual report upon explorations and surveys in the department of the Missouri / Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1878. url p. 1836.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 476, p. 484, p. 768.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 1562.
- Botany. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1871. url , .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 800.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 225.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 104, p. 154, p. 178, p. 18, p. 307, p. 308.
- Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Buffalo, N.Y.: The Society, 1874- url p. 91, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 338, p. 366, p. 366, p. 660, p. 660.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1899 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 221, p. 360.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 22 1895 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 112, p. 357, p. 359, p. 440, p. 444, p. 681.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 225.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 163, p. 241.
- Catalogue of the flora of Minnesota: including its phænogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants, indigenous, naturalized, and adventive / by Warren Upham. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 68.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 429.
- Classification of the plant communities of Beaverhead, Silver Bow, and Madison Counties, Montana / for Bureau of Land Management, State Office, Billings, Montana. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 83, p. 89.
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 305.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 357, p. 645.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 5 1897-1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 104, p. 107, p. 108, p. 121, p. 230, p. 279, p. 504, p. 517, p. 518, p. 532, p. 611.
- Contributions to North American ethnology. Vol. I-VII, IX. [Ed. by J.W. Powell] Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1877-93. url p. 174.
- Ecologically significant wetlands in the Missouri headwaters: Jefferson, lower Madison, lower Gallatin, and upper Red Rock River watersheds / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2004. url .
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 166, p. 197.
- Experimental pollination; an outline of the ecology of flowers and insects, by Frederic E. Clements and Frances L. Long. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1923. url p. 252, p. 254, p. 261.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota / D.A. Saunders. Brookings: U.S. Experiment Station, South Dakota: 1899. url p. 196.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- First report on the flora of Wyoming / Aven Nelson. Laramie: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1896. url p. 119.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 85.
- Flora Washingtonensis; a catalogue of the Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta of the state of Washington, n.p., 1892 url .
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 97.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 326.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 326, p. 326.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 891.
- Flora of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: New Era, 1914. url p. 238.
- Flora of the Black Hills of South Dakota. By P.A. Rydberg. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1896. url p. 504.
- Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia / by P.A. Rydberg. New York: The author, 1922. url p. 819.
- Flora of the Yellowstone National Park / by Frank Tweedy. Washington, D.C.: F. Tweedy, 1886. url p. 18, p. 18, p. 42, p. 42.
- Flora of the southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho, Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1914. url .
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 532.
- Forest culture and eucalyptus trees, San FranciscoCubery1876 url p. 432, p. 556.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany" bound in one volume. By Asa Gray. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, & company, 1881. url p. 177.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 639.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url , p. 115.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a fifth and revised edition of The botanical text-book / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, 1877. url p. 435.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 18 1998 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 143, p. 99.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, [c1919] url .
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora; Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, 1919. url p. 221.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 421, p. 508.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 421.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 421, p. 508.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url , .
- Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by. .. Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1872 [c1868] url p. 177.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 307.
- Manual of the botany (Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. By John M. Coulter. and Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company, 1885. url p. 128.
- Manual of the botany (Phænogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. and Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url .
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray; assisted by specialists in certain groups; with twenty-five plates, illustrating the sedges, grasses, ferns, etc. New York: American Book Company; c1889. url p. 228.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 878.
- Manual of the flowering plants of Iowa. [Lamoni, Iowa]Privately published, 1899. url .
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. [Boston: The Academy, url p. 61.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 307.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 11, p. 56.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url , p. 125.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 1080, p. 367, p. 367, p. 408, p. 408, p. 566, p. 779.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) by John M. Coulter, rev. by Aven Nelson. Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1909] url p. 475.
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url p. 228.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 146, p. 288, p. 300.
- Plant community classification for vegetation on BLM lands, Pryor Mountains, Carbon County, Montana / Robert L. DeVelice & Peter Lesica; for USDI Bureau of Land Management, State Office. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1993. url p. 52.
- Plantae Fendlerianae Novi-Mexicanae: an account of a collection of plants made chiefly in the vicinity of Santa Fe? New Mexico, by Augustus Fendler /with descriptions of the new species, critical remarks and characters of other undescribed or little known plants from surrounding regions by Asa Gray. 1848 Boston, 1848 url p. 61.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 220, p. 220.
- Practical botany, structural and systematic, the latter portion being an analytical key to the wild flowering plants, trees, shrubs, ordinary herbs, sedges and grasses of the northern and middle United States east of t New York, H. Holt and Company, 1876. url .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , .
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 92.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 231, p. 78, p. 82.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 17.
- Range plant handbook. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1937. url p. xxv.
- Rare plant inventory of the outstanding natural areas of the Rocky Mountain Front / prepared for United States Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management; prepared by Lisa Ann Schassberger. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 31.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 14.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 409.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the exploring expedition to the Rocky Mountains in the year 1842: and to Oregon and north California in the years 1843-44 / Washington: Blair and Rives, Printers, 1845. url p. 135, p. 160.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url , p. 136.
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 462.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 367, p. 408, p. 566, p. 704, p. 705, p. 779.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 19.
- Rocky Mountain wild flower studies; an account of the ways of some plants that live in the Rocky Mountain region, by Burton O. Longyear. .. with illustrations from nature by the author. Denver, Merchants Publishing Co., c1909 url p. 128.
- Rocky mountain flowers; an illustrated guide for plantlovers and plant-users; with twenty-five plates in color and twenty-one plates in black and white [by] Frederic Edward Clements...and Edith Schwartz Clements... 1914 New York city, the H.W. Wilson company, 1914. url p. 243.
- Science studies, v.1, no. 1-3. Bozeman, Mont.1905. url p. 126, p. 138.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 555, p. 623, p. 626.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 349.
- Select plants (exclusive of timber trees) readily eligible for Victorian industrial culture with indications of their native countries and some of their uses; an enumeration / offered by Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: s.n., 1872 url p. 161.
- Sensitive plant species inventory in the Centennial Valley, Beaverhead County, Montana / prepared by Denise R. Culver; prepared for Bureau of Land Management, [Butte District] Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , , , p. 144, p. 147, p. 157, p. 36, p. 71.
- Sensitive plant survey in the Horse Prairie Creek drainage, Beaverhead County, Montana, Butte District, Bureau of Land Management / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for United States Department of Interior, Bureau of Land management, Dillon Resource Area. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1995. url p. 42.
- Sensitive plant survey of the Tendoy Mountains, in the Beaverhead National Forest, Beaverhead County, Montana / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for United States Forest Service, Beaverhead National Forest. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 68.
- Sensitive plant surveys in the Big Belt and Elkhorn Mountains, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Region 1, Helena National Forest, Montana / prepared by Jackie M. Poole and Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Helena National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 42.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 46.
- Studies on Rocky Mountain flora. New York, New York Botanical Garden, 1899-1913. url p. 645.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 105, p. 121, p. 164, p. 48, p. 50.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Co. [etc., etc.]1878-1884. url , p. 42.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 42.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 133.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 642.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 107, p. 115, p. 158, p. 234, p. 31, p. 69.
- The Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science: JIAS. Cedar Falls, Iowa: The Academy, 1988- url p. 118.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 704, p. 705.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 704, p. 705, p. 823.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 294.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 118.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 3 1906 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 252, p. 252.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 432.
- The commercial products of the vegetable kingdom, considered in their various uses to man and in their relation to the arts and manufactures; forming a practical treatise and handbook of reference for the colonist, manufacturer, merchant, and consume London, Day, 1854. url p. 376.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 97.
- The flora of the Palouse region. Containing descriptions of all the Spermatophytes and Pteridophytes known to grow wild in the area within 35 kilometers of Pullman, Washington. By Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Pullman, Washington Agricultural College and School of Science, 1901. url p. 171.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 111.
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url p. 258, p. 258, p. 72, p. 72.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Agricultural Society: with notices and proceedings of county societies, and kindred associations. Springfield: Bailhache & Baer, printers, 1859. url p. 586.
- Transactions of the Illinois natural history society. Ed. by C.D. Wilber. Springfield, 1861. url p. 141.
- Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 67.
- Transactions. Columbus, Ohio [etc.] url p. 251.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 10 1958 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 347, p. 381.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 43, p. 54.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 136, p.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed February 28, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 8 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (May 01, 2008)
- USDA, NRCS. 2005. The PLANTS Database, Version 3.5 (http://plants.usda.gov). National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 28, 2008:
- Arizona State University, International Institute for Species Exploration: Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Arizona State University, International Institute for Species Exploration: The Deaver Herbarium, Northern Arizona University
- Burke Museum: Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium (WTU)
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad: Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México (IE-XAL)
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University: Vascular Plant Collection
- USDA PLANTS: USDA PLANTS Database
- Utah State University: USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Utah Valley State College (UVSC): Utah Valley State College Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657226
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35359
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:859761-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 402745
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35359
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 859761-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VAEDE
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67501