Common Names in English:
Marsh Valerian, Marsh Valeriana
herbs with aromatic
underground parts. Leaves entire or divided
. Flowers white or pink in corymbose
cymes, panicles or heads
; upper bracts opposite. Calyx unrolled in fruit into a plumose
pappus. Corolla 5-lobed, often gibbous
at the base
. Stamens 3. Stigma 2-3-fid or simple
. Ovary 3-locular, with only 1 fertile
locule. Achene crowned by the persistent
pappose calyx, dorsally
3-ribbed, ventrally 1-ribbed, glabrous
A genus of over 200 species. Widely distributed in the temperate regions of Asia, Africa, Europe and N. & S. America. Represented here by 9 or 10 species.
It is often difficult to identify the valerians without the basal leaves (which may shed early), underground and fruiting parts.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: near white, pale pink, white
Size: under 6" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,245 meters (0 to 4,085 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Dipsacanae () - (Dumortier, 1829) Takhtajan, 1997
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 31 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Valeriana
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 34 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
V. acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. acutiloba (Sharpleaf Valerian) · V. acutiloba var. pubicarpa (Hairyfruit Valeriana) · V. arizonica (Arizona Tobaccoroot) · V. californica (California Valerian) · V. capitata (Captiate Valerian) · V. capitata acutiloba (Cordilleran Valerian) · V. columbiana (Wenatchee Valerian) · V. dioica (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica simplicifolia (Marsh Valerian) · V. dioica var. sylvatica (Woods Valeriana) · V. edulis (Edible Valerian) · V. edulis ciliata var. ciliata (Taproot Valerian) · V. edulis var. ciliata (Tobacco Root) · V. edulis var. edulis (Tobacco Root) · V. jatamansi (Indian Valerian) · V. occidentalis (Small-Flower Valerian) · V. officinalis (All Heal) · V. officinalis excelsa (Garden Heliotrope) · V. officinalis 'Arterner Zuchtung' (All Heal) · V. officinalis 'Sweet Kathi' (Sweet Kathi Garden Heliotrope) · V. pauciflora (Largeflower Valerian) · V. sambucifolia (Valerian) · V. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. candolleana (Florida Valerian) · V. scandens var. scandens (Florida Valerian) · V. scouleri (Scouler's Valerian) · V. sisymbriifolia (Valerian) · V. sitchensis (Sitka Valerian) · V. sitchensis sitchensis (Pacific Valerian) · V. sitchensis uliginosa (Marsh Valerian) · V. sorbifolia (Pineland Valerian) · V. texana (Guadalupe Valerian) · V. uliginosa (Marsh Valerian)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Flora of Berwick-upon-Tweed. By George Johnston, M.D. Edinburgh, J. Carfrae & Son; [etc., etc., ]1829-31. url p. 13.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url , .
- A compendium of the English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman, 1836. url p. 11, p. 192.
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 69.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 140.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 425.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 674.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url .
- A flora of the state of New-York: comprising full descriptions of all the indigenous and naturalized plants hitherto discovered in the state: with remarks on their economical and medicinal properties / by John Torrey. Albany: Carroll and Cook, printers to the Assembly, 1843. url p. 318, p. 319.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 676.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 156.
- A history of Longridge and district. PrestonPrinted by C.W. Whitehead1888 url p. 267.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 165, p. 166.
- A manual of botany. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1897-1902. url .
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 73.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 153, p. 154.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 857.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 329.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 478.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url , p. 18, p. 19, p. 231.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url , p. 18, p. 20, p. 231.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 107, p. 118, p. 140, p. 75.
- A season among the wildflowers / by the Rev. Henry Wood. London: .W. S. Sonnenschein, 1883. url p. 222.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 72.
- A supplementary list of Chinese flowering plants, 1904-1910, url , , , , .
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 135.
- A systematic arrangement of British plants / by W. Withering; corrected and condensed; preceded by instructions adapted for persons commencing the study of botany; accompanied with figures by William MacGillivray. London: Printed for Adam Scott, 1848. url p. 367.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A topographical history of Staffordshire; including its agriculture, mines and manufactures. Memoirs of eminent natives; statistical tables; and every species of information connected with the local history of the county. With a succinct acco Comp. from the most authentic sources, by William Pitt. Newcastle-under-Lyme, Printed by and for J. Smith, 1817. url p. 572.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url , , p. 31, p. 66.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 177, p. 221, p. 868.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property, and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag by J.C. Loudon London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1831 url p. 246, p. 316.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property, and of the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of by J.C. Loudon. London: Longmans, Green, 1871. url p. 316.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 177, p. 221, p. 868.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 285.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 424, p. 425.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 11 1893 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 169.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 655.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 448.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 476, p. 484, p. 485, p. 757, p. 768.
- Appendix C., vegetation/agricultural resources of the Beal Project area / prepared for Beal Mountain Mining, Inc.; prepared by Ken L. Scow, L. Dean Culwell. Helena, Mont.: Western Technology and Engineering,  url .
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 324.
- Aspects of plant life; with special reference to the British flora. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1921. url p. 171.
- Biodiversity and representativeness of research natural areas on national wildlife refuges in Montana, designated areas within Benton Lake, Charles M. Russell, Lake Mason, Medicine Lake, and Red Rock final report / submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; prepared by Stephen V. Cooper and Bonnie L. Heidel. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1999 url p. 54.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 254.
- Botanical survey of the Ruby Range, Madison County, Montana, Dillon Resource Area, Bureau of Land Management / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst [et. al].; prepared for United States Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 33.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , , p. 254.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 91.
- Botany. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1871. url , , .
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 14 1971 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 47.
- British plant-galls; a classified text book of cecidology, London, Methuen & co. ltd. url .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 244, p. 245, p. 245, p. 327, p. 327, p. 333, p. 333.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url , , , .
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url p. 256.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 681, p. 682.
- Calendar of the letters of Charles Robert Darwin to Asa Gray / Boston, Mass.Historical Records Survey, 1939. url p. 133, p. 144, p. 67.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , , p. 204, p. 204, p. 541, p. 541.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 758.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 758.
- Contributions to the natural history of Alaska results of investigations made chiefly in the Yukon district and the Aleutian Islands; conducted under the auspices of the Signal Service, United States Army, extending from May, 1874, to August, 1881 prepared under the direction of W.B. Hazen, Chief Signal Officer of the Army, by L. M. Turner. Washington: G.P.O., 1886. url .
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.Hodges, Smith, 1866. url p. xxiv.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 195, p. 25, p. 296, p. 337, p. 450, p. 559.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 340.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url .
- Don, G. A general history of the dichlamydeous plants: comprising complete descriptions of the different orders...the whole arranged according to the natural system /by George Don. 3 1834 London: J.G. and F. Rivington, 1831-1838. url p. 676, p. 677, p. 678.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 341.
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url , .
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url , p. 237, p. 238.
- Evolution by atrophy in biology and sociology / by Jean Demoor, Jean Massart, Emile Vandervelde; translated by Mrs. Chalmers Mitchell. London: K. Paul, 1899. url p. 148.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 376.
- Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North America. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years by Frederick Pursh. .. London: Printed for James Black and son, 1816. url p. 727.
- Flora Scotica; or, A description of Scottish plants, arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods. London, Printed by R. and A. Taylor, for A. Constable, 1821. url p. 246, p. 276.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url .
- Flora hibernica: comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland: arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin: W. Curry jun., 1836. url .
- Flora metropolitana; or, Botanical rambles within thirty miles of London, being the results of numerous excursions made in 1833, 34, 35. .. intended for the student in practical botany. .. London, S. Highley, 1836. url p. 100, p. 105.
- Flora of Derbyshire: flowering plants, higher cryptogams, mosses and hepatics, Characeae. London, Bemrose & Sons Ltd., 1903. url p. 173.
- Flora of Marlborough; with notices of birds and a sketch of the geological features of the neighborhood. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1863. url p. 44.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 402.
- Flora of Sussex; or a list of the flowering plants & ferns found in the county of Sussex, with localities of the less common species. London, Simpkin [et al.]1907. url p. 56.
- Flora scotica, or, A description of Scottish plants arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods: in two parts / by William Jackson Hooker. .. Edinburgh: A. Constable, 1821. url p. 276, p. 542.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url .
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain. London, Groombridge, 1857. url , .
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url , .
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 311.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 143.
- Forestry. London: W. Rider, [1883-1886]. url p. 263.
- Gaelic names of plants (Scottish and Irish) Collected and arranged in scientific order, with notes on their etymology, their uses, plant superstitions, etc., among the Celts, with copious Gaelic, Eng EdinburghBlackwood1883 url p. 35.
- Garden flowers: how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston, J. E. Tilton, 1866. url p. 367, p. 367.
- Garden flowers; how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.... New York, Hurd and Houghton, 1876. url p. 367.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Hampstead Hill: its structure, materials and sculpturing / by J. Logan Lobley; with The flora of Hampstead, by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F. A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Haring. London: Roper and Drowley, 1889. url p. 76.
- Hampstead Hill; its structure, materials, and sculpturing. With The flora of Hampstead by Henry T. Wharton; The insect fauna of Hampstead, by F.A. Walker; and The birds of Hampstead, by J. Edmund Harting. LondonRoper and Drowley1889 url p. 76.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 33, p. 44, p. 549.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , , .
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 147.
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. London: Reeve, 1858. url p. 280.
- Handbook to Bath; prepared on the occasion of the visit of the British Association, 1888. Bath, I. Pitman and Sons, 1888. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , , p. 116, p. 143, p. 168, p. 168, p. 2, p. 230, p. 231.
- History and antiquities of Charnwood forest: with an appendix on the geology, botany & ornithology of the district. .. London: Hamilton, 1842. url p. 38.
- Hooker, W. J. Botanical miscellany. 1 1830 London: J. Murray, 1830-1833. url p. 339, p. 339.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 1 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 291.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 213.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 202.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants, drawn by W.H. Fitch and W.G. Smith. London: Reeve, 1908. url p. 116.
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. 1 1868 London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url explanation of plate 75.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 121, p. 430, p. 432, p. 448, p. 46, p. 785.
- Introduction to cytology, by Lester W. Sharp. .. New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, inc., 1934. url p. 389.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 614.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 152, p. 526.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 25 1887 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 106, p. 11, p. 119, p. 120, p. 144, p. 147, p. 164, p. 169, p. 172, p. 18, p. 18, p. 184, p. 194, p. 208, p. 214, p. 23, p. 231, p. 251, p. 26, p. 26, p. 273, p. 281, p. 283, p. 288, p. 292, p. 303, p. 318, p. 324, p. 33, p. 345, p. 370, p. 393, p. 45, p. 87, p. 87.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 677.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 115.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jönsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York, G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 319.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 505, p. 506, p. 512, p. 530.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. New York, 1893-1894. url .
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1098.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 269.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1881. url .
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 139.
- Memoirs of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. [Boston: The Academy, url p. 394, p. 428, p. 439.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 142, p. 258.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 318, p. 318, p. 319, p. 319.
- Natural history of the district. .., together with a geological account of the rock strata, and the fossils contained in them, Part II [in The Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Torquay Guide., , , by N. T. Carrington] Teignmouth, E. Croydon, 1830. url .
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url , , p. 180, p. 268, p. 284.
- New book of flowers / New York: Orange Judd & Company, c1866 url .
- New book of flowers. By Joseph Breck. New York, O. Judd & company[c1866] url p. 379.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 106, p. 109, p. 200, p. 237, p. 303, p. 330, p. 337, p. 361, p. 396, p. 42, p. 427, p. 45, p. 465, p. 472, p. 474.
- Notes on the life history of British flowering plants, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1905. url .
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 324.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 324.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 64.
- Physiographical sketch of that portion of the Rocky Mountain Range: at the head waters of South Clear Creek and east of Middle Park: with an enumeration of the plants collected in this district in the summer months of 1861 /by C.C. Parry. 1862 New Haven: s.n., 1862? url p. 28.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 318.
- Plant community classification for vegetation on BLM lands, Pryor Mountains, Carbon County, Montana / Robert L. DeVelice & Peter Lesica; for USDI Bureau of Land Management, State Office. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1993. url p. 52.
- Plant morphogenesis. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 185, p. 496.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 415.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 415.
- Popular field botany; containing a familiar and technical description of the plants most common to the various localities of the British Isles, adapted to the study of either the artificial or natural systems. London, Reeve, Benham & Reeve, 1849. url , p. 188.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 222, p. 76.
- Price list of chemical and bacteriological apparatus, chemicals and reagents manufactured and sold by Baird [and] Tatlock (London) Ltd. London, Baird [and] Tatlock, 1914. url p. 1067.
- Proceedings - Cambridge Philosophical Society. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society [etc.] url p. 229.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 63.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. London, Published for the Linnean Society of London by Academic Press [etc.], 1848-1968. url , p. 8, p. 97.
- Proceedings. Halifax url p. 369.
- Pursh, F. T. Flora Americae Septentrionalis: or, A systematic arrangement and description of the plants of North america. Containing, besides what have been described by preceding authors, many new and rare species, collected during twelve years travels and residence in that country /by Frederick Pursh. .. 2 1814 London: Printed for White, Cochrance, and co., 1814. url p. 727, p. 727.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 133.
- Report of the cruise of the revenue marine steamer Corwin in the Arctic Ocean in the year 1885. By Capt. M.A. Healy. .. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1887. url p. 97.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url , p. 136, p. 524.
- Report upon United States Geographical surveys west of the one hundredth meridian, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1875-89. url .
- Researches about atmospheric phenomena. By Thomas Forster. London: Printed for Harding, Mavor, and Lepard, 1823. url p. 375.
- Rust, smut, mildew & mould. An introduction to the study of microscopic fungi. London, W. H. Allen, 1902. url .
- Rust, smut, mildew & mould; an introduction to the study of microscopic fungi / by M.C. Cooke; illustrated with 269 coloured figures by J.E. Sowerby. 1898 London: W.H. Allen, 1898. url p. 197.
- Rust, smut, mildew, & mould: an introduction to the study of microscopic fungi / by M.C. Cooke. London: R. Hardwicke, 1872. url p. 192.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 291, p. 306.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 128.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 128, p. 128.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 8.
- Sensitive plant species inventory in the Centennial Valley, Beaverhead County, Montana / prepared by Denise R. Culver; prepared for Bureau of Land Management, [Butte District] Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 134, p. 14, p. 27, p. 28, p. 55.
- Sensitive plant species surveys, Butte District, Beaverhead and Madison Counties, Montana / by Bonnie L. Heidel and Jim Vanderhorst, for Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 42.
- Sensitive plant survey in the Horse Prairie Creek drainage, Beaverhead County, Montana, Butte District, Bureau of Land Management / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for United States Department of Interior, Bureau of Land management, Dillon Resource Area. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1995. url p. 42.
- Sensitive plant survey in the Tendoy Mountains, Beaverhead County, Montana / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst and Peter Lesica; prepared for Bureau of Land Management, Butte District. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url .
- Sensitive plant survey of the Tendoy Mountains, in the Beaverhead National Forest, Beaverhead County, Montana / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for United States Forest Service, Beaverhead National Forest. Helena, Mt.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 15, p. 46, p. 68.
- Sensitive plant surveys in the Big Belt and Elkhorn Mountains, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Region 1, Helena National Forest, Montana / prepared by Jackie M. Poole and Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Helena National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Sensitive plant surveys in the Bull River and adjacent drainages, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Region 1, Kootenai National Forest, Montana / prepared by Lisa Ann Schassberger and J. Stephen Shelly. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url p. 60.
- Sensitive plant surveys, 1989: U.S. Forest Service, Region 1, Gallatin National Forest / prepared for United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service; prepared by Sarah Y. Mathews. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 16.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 43.
- Survey for sensitive plant species on BLM lands in the vicinity of Lemhi Pass, Beaverhead County / prepared by Jim Vanderhorst; prepared for Bureau of Land Management, Butte District. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , p. 107, p. 32, p. 57, p. 60, p. 82.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 43.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1943.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 51.
- The American journal of science. 42 1842 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 51, p. 81.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 174, p. 174, p. 181, p. 181, p. 511, p. 511.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url , p. 169, p. 173, p. 242, p. 45, p. 98.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous or flowering plants, and the ferns / London, 1855. url p. 200.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 446.
- The British rust fungi (Uredinales) their biology and classification, Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url , .
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 71 1957 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 66, p. 96.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 139, p. 162, p. 336.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url , p. 43.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 55, p. 96.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 199.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url .
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 337.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 700.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 17.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 167.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 143.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 279.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 643, p. 652, p. 719.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 457, p. 617.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. 2 1874 London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 10, p. 14, p. 140, p. 188, p. 198, p. 403, p. 412, p. 444, p. 670, p. 763, p. 802, p. 96.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 45 1985 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 746.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 191, p. 368, p. 368, p. 407, p. 42, p. 42.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 39 1909-11 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url , p. 100, p. 101, p. 104, p. 20, p. 281, p. 316, p. 456, p. 458, p. 463, p. 494, p. 537, p. 539, p. 550, p. 559, p. 579, p. 66, p. 91, p. 93, p. 95, p. 97, p. 99, p. iii, p. vii.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 130.
- The Manchester flora: a descriptive list of the plants growing wild within eighteen miles of Manchester, with notices of the plants commonly cultivated in gardens; preceded by an introduction to botany, by L. H. Grindon. London, W. White, 1859. url p. 318.
- The Naturalist. 1894 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 102, p. 107, p. 183, p. 192, p. 193, p. 199, p. 202, p. 256, p. 262, p. 290, p. 327, p. 34, p. 343, p. 43, p. 56, p. 75, p. 76, p. 94.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 300.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 300.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 102, p. 147, p. 151, p. 208, p. 228, p. 231, p. 231, p. 249, p. 314, p. 341, p. 394, p. 446, p. 453, p. 61, p. 620.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 140, p. 261, p. 283, p. 4, p. 411, p. 427, p. 48, p. 509, p. 628, p. 902.
- The Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Science. Halifax, Nova Scotian Institute of Science. url p. 369.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 60.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 53.
- The Victoria history of the county of Stafford / edited by William Page. London: Constable1908- url p. 55.
- The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine. Devizes [etc.]H. Bull [etc.] url .
- The book of garden management: Comprising information on laying out and planting gardens... London: S.O. Beeton, [1862?] url p. 25.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 522.
- The cyclopædia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url p. 632.
- The different forms of flowers on plants of the same species. New York, D. Appleton, 1903. url .
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 307, p. 308, p. 668.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url p. 256.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 267, p. 30, p. 47, p. 56, p. 60, p. 63, p. 77, p. 78, p. 86.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 3 1882 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 211, p. 211.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 88.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 88.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 52.
- The flora of Oxfordshire and its contiguous counties: (comprising the flowering plants only;) arranged in easy and familiar language according to the Linnaean and natural systems; preceded by an introduction to botany / Oxford: H. Slatter, 1833. url , p. 10, p. 10.
- The flora of Oxfordshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with sketches of the progress of Oxfordshire botany during the last three centuries, and London, Parker and Co., 1886. url , , , .
- The flora of Suffolk a topographical enumeration of the plants of the county, showing the results of former observations and of the most recent researches / by W.M. Hind; assisted by Churchill Babington; with an introductory chapter of the geology, climate and meteorology of Suffolk by Wheelton Hind. London: Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 189.
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 40, p. 53.
- The flowering plants, grasses, sedges, & ferns of Great Britain and their allies, the club mosses, horsetails, etc. London, F. Warne, 1905. url .
- The fungus flora of Yorkshire. A complete account of the known fungi of the county. By G. Massee and C. Crossland. London, A. Brown, 1905. url p. 187.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 167, p. 718.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 353.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 372.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 981.
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 178, p. 213, p. 242, p. 253, p. 274, p. 299, p. 302, p. 304, p. 313.
- The origin of floral structures through insect and other agencies, by the Rev. George Henslow. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1888. url p. 247.
- The origin of floral structures: through insect and other agencies. New York: Appleton, 1888. url .
- The principles and practice of land drainage. By John H. Klippart. Cincinnati, R. Clarke & co., 1861. url p. 181.
- The rural economy of Yorkshire. Comprising the management of landed estates, and the present practice of husbandry in the agricultural districts of that county. London, G. Nicol, 1796. url p. 103.
- The story of plant life in the British Isles; types of the common natural orders, by A.R. Horwood. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1914-15. url , , p. 291, p. 294, p. 357.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url , , , , , , , , p. 146, p. 187, p. 217.
- The wild-flowers of Selborne and other papers by John Vaughan. London, J. Lane, 1906. url p. 114, p. 114.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url , .
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 47, p. 47.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 145, p. 167, p. 293, p. 293, p. 30, p. 82, p. 83.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 255, p. 27, p. 323, p. 374.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 256, p. 256.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 238.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 103, p. 138, p. 246, p. 249, p. 414, p. 461, p. 472, p. 7.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 165, p. 327.
- Types of British vegetation, Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url .
- University of California publications in botany. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1902-2001. url p. 154.
- Vascular plant and sensitive plant species inventory for the highland mountains, Deerlodge National Forest; prepared for Deerlodge National Forest / prepared by Peter Lesica. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 26, p. 49.
- Vegetation and flora of the Line Creek Plateau area, Carbon County, Montana / prepared by Peter Lesica and the Montana Natural Heritage Program; prepared for USDA Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 30.
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 54, p. 72.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 149, p. 54, p. 60, p. 88.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 136, p. 524, p.
- Year book - Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington url p. 148.
- [Miscellaneous reprints on botany] London, 19 ? url .
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 30, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- NLBIF, Limnodata
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Dorset Environmental Records Centre - Bryophyte Survey of the Poole Basin Mires - NBN South West Pilot Project Case Studies
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657224
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-35356
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490765
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:859747-1
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 35356
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 859746-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VASY VADIS
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67500
- "Valeriana". in Flora of Pakistan Page 2.. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 150.560 meters (493.963 feet), Standard Deviation = 163.730 based on 5,602 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]