Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Eastern Purple Bladderwort, Purple Bladderwort
Common Names in French:
Common Names in unspecified:
Eastern Purple Bladderwort
Flowers: Bloom Period: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. • Flower Color: lavender, magenta, pink, violet
Size: 24-36" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,016 meters (0 to 3,333 feet).
Duration: Annual , Perennial
Culture: Space 36-48" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Vesiculina purpurea (Walt.) Raf.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Utricularia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 69 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
U. adpressa (Bladderwort) · U. alpina (Bladderwort) · U. amethystina (Bladderwort) · U. australis (Bladderwort) · U. bifida (Bladderwort) · U. biovularioides (Bladderwort) · U. bisquamata (Bladderwort) · U. bremii (Bladderwort) · U. buntingiana (Bladderwort) · U. caerulea (Bladderwort) · U. calycifida (Bladderwort) · U. campbelliana (Bladderwort) · U. capilliflora (Bladderwort) · U. chrysantha (Bladderwort) · U. cornuta (Bladderwort) · U. delicatula (Bladderwort) · U. dichotoma (Bladderwort) · U. dimorphanta (Bladderwort) · U. exoleta (Bladderwort) · U. flaccida (Bladderwort) · U. floridana (Florida Yellow Bladderwort) · U. foliosa (Leafy Bladderwort) · U. geminiloba (Bladderwort) · U. geminiscapa (Bladderwort) · U. gibba (Humped Bladderwort) · U. gibba exoleta (Bladderwort) · U. heterosepala (Bladderwort) · U. hintonii (Bladderwort) · U. inflata (Bladderwort) · U. intermedia (Flat-Leaf Bladderwort) · U. jamesoniana (Bladderwort) · U. juncea (Bladderwort) · U. lateriflora (Tiny Bladderwort) · U. leptoplectra (Bladderwort) · U. livida (Bladderwort) · U. longifolia (Bladderwort) · U. macrorhiza (Bladderwort) · U. menziesii (Bladderwort) · U. microcalyx (Bladderwort) · U. minor (Bladderwort) · U. monanthos (Bladderwort) · U. nelumbifolia (Bladderwort) · U. neottioides (Bladderworts) · U. novae-zelandiae (Bladderwort) · U. ochroleuca (Bladderwort) · U. olivacea (Bladderwort) · U. parthenopipes (Bladderwort) · U. praelonga (Bladderwort) · U. prehensilis (Bladderwort) · U. purpurea (Eastern Purple Bladderwort) · U. pusilla (Bladderwort) · U. quelchii (Bladderwort) · U. racemosa (Bladderwort) · U. radiata (Floating Bladderwort) · U. reniformis (Bladderwort) · U. resupinata (Bladderwort) · U. sandersonii (Bladderwort) · U. sandersonii 'Blue' (Bladderwort) · U. simulans (Bladderwort) · U. singeriana (Bladderwort) · U. striata (Bladderwort) · U. stygia (Bladderwort) · U. subulata (Bladderwort) · U. tenella (Pink Bladderwort) · U. tricolor (Bladderwort) · U. uliginosa (Bladderwort) · U. volubilis (Bladderwort) · U. warburgii (Bladderwort) · U. welwitschii (Bladderwort)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 74.
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 433.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and higher cryptogams, both native and introduced, found within about thirty miles of Hanover, N. H., including a few cultivated species, to which is appended a list of vertebrate animals of the same region. By Henry Jesup. [Hanover?]Printed for the Author, 1891. url p. 31.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 109.
- A guide and key to the aquatic plants of the Southeastern United States, by Don E. Eyles and Lynne Robertson, Jr. With original drawings by Garnet W. Jex. Washington, U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1963. url p. 137.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 312.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , , , , .
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 418, p. 554.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia, and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1913. url p. 226.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 573.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 264, p. 264.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 634.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 121.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url , p. 110, p. 693.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the Connecticut Board of Agriculture. Hartford: The Board, 1867-1925. url p. 49.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 121.
- Annual report of the secretary of the State Horticultural Society of Michigan. Lansing: The Society, 1881- url p. 476.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 39, p. 46.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 1513, p. 1519.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 62 2004 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 115, p. 117, p. 121, p. 122, p. 129, p. 145, p. 29, p. 6, p. 67, p. 7, p. 8.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 17 1890 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 174, p. 258, p. 325, p. 362, p. 423, p. 457.
- Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission. Washington, The Commission, Govt. Print. Off. url p. 260.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 358.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 13 1909-1912 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 341, p. 444, p. 445, p. 541, p. 730.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url p. 206.
- Diatoms as indicators of historical macrophyte biomass in Florida lakes / 1991 url .
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 41.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1869. url p. 225.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url , .
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 238.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley, Louis O. Williams, Dorothy Nash Gibson. 24 1974 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1974. url p. 326.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 863.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url , .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 285, p. 286.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 344.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1090, p. 1090.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 562.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 211.
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 9.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 607.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 205.
- Gray's school and field book of botany: consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor,  url p. 225.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- Home studies in nature, New York, Harper & Brothers, 1885. url , .
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 143.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jönsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York, G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 339.
- Life-histories of the frogs of Okefinokee swamp, Georgia; North American Salientia (Anura) no.2; by Albert Hazen Wright. New York, The Macmillan company, 1931. url p. 444.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 298.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 847.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 1238.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 298, p. 56.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url , p. 121.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 149.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 20, p. 20.
- Our ducks; a history of American ducks, nesting, roosting, feeding, and playing grounds; habits throughout the year. By F. Henry Yorke. Chicago, The American field publishing co., 1899. url p. 130.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 493.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 307, p. 349, p. 386.
- Plant Form OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS url p. 319.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 127, p. 49, p. 730.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 127, p. 730.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 293.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 130, p. 187.
- Reliquiae Baldwinianae: selections from the correspondence of the late William Baldwin with occasional notes, and a short biographical memoir compiled by William Darlington. Philadelphia: Kimber and Sharpless, 1843. url p. 137.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 121, p. 121, p. 39, p. 46.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 18.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 18, p. 18.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1090.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 316.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url , p. 11, p. 19, p. 2, p. 4.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 127, p. 140, p. 16, p. 16, p. 164, p. 20, p. 38, p. 57, p. 60, p. 73, p. 77.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Co. [etc., etc.]1878-1884. url , p. 316, p. 316.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants; together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the America By Alphonso Wood. Chicago, A. S. Barnes, 1870. url p. 216.
- The American flower garden / by Neltje Blanchan; planting lists by Leonard Barron; illustrated with one hundred full-page photographs. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1909. url p. 127, p. 127.
- The American flower garden, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1909. url p. 127.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 391.
- The American journal of science. 37 1839 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 391.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 487, p. 488, p. 503.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , brown , fowler , p. 139, p. 182, p. 182, p. 241, p. 242, p. 244, p. 266, p. 357, p. 389, p. 44, p. 448, p. 450, p. 487.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 38 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 344, p. 348.
- The carnivorous plants, by Francis Ernest Lloyd. .. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Company, 1942. url p. 215, p. 219, p. 221, p. 227, p. 228, p. 229, p. 257, p. 269, p. 310.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The forests and flora of British Honduras / by Paul C. Standley and Samuel J. Record; in cooperation with the Conservator of Forests and the Agricultural Officer of the Colony. 12 1936 Chicago: [Field Museum of Natural History], 1936. url p. 366.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 351.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 106.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url , , .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url .
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url .
- The vegetation of Shackleford Bank / by I.F. Lewis. Raleigh: Edwards & Broughton, 1917. url .
- The vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens: an ecologic investigation / by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia: Christopher Sower Company, 1916. url p. 256, p. 309.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 105, p. 165, p. 96, p. 97.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 146.
- Water-lilies and how to grow them, with chapters on the proper making of ponds and the use of accessory plants, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1907. url .
- Window gardening, and a list of some of the flowers found growing naturally in the vicinity of Boston. .. [Boston]: Massachusetts Horticultural Society, c1889. url p. 19.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed February 4, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2656544
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-34461
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13748207
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:527037-1
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 34461
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 527036-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: VEPU4
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67459