Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Sha´r El ´agûz
Common Names in Chinese:
Ou Qian Ma
Common Names in Danish:
Brænde-Nælde, Lidennælde, Lille Brænde-Nælde, Lille Nælde
Common Names in Dutch:
Broeinetel, Kleine Brandnetel
Common Names in English:
Burning Nettle, Annual Nettle, Dog Nettle, Dwarf Nettle, Lesser Nettle, Small Nettle, Stinging Nettle
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Ortie, Ortiebrûlante, Petite Ortie
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Greek:
Knidi I Kanstira
Common Names in Hungarian:
árvacsalán, Apró Csalán, Kis Csalán
Common Names in Italian:
Ortica Ardente, Ortica Minore, Ortica Piccola, Ortica Pungente, Ortica Pungentissima, Piccola Ortica
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Urtiga-Branca, Urtiga-Menor, Urtiga-Queimadeira
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Krapiva žgučaja, крапива жгучая
Common Names in Spanish:
Ortiga, Ortiga Menor, Ortiga Romana
Common Names in Swedish:
, or shrubs
, rarely trees
, very rarely climbing
, stems often fibrous
, sometimes succulent. sometimes armed
; epidermal cells
of leaves, sometimes stems, perianths mostly with prominent
; Leaves alternate or opposite, stipules present, rarely absent; leaf blade
. Inflorescences cymose
, racemose, spicate
, or cluster-capitate, usually formed from glomerules
, sometimes crowded on common enlarged cuplike or discoid
receptacle, rarely reduced into a single flower. Flowers unisexual
monoecious or dioecious), rarely bisexual
in partial flowers; actinomorphic
, very small, (1-) 4- or 5-merous, rarely perianth absent in female flowers. Calyx absent. Perianth lobes imbricate or valvate
. Male flowers: stamens as many as and opposite to perianth lobes, filaments
in bud; anthers
2-locular, opening lengthwise, rudimentary
ovary often present. Female flowers: perianth lobes free
, usually enlarged in fruit and persistent
, occasionally absent; staminodes scarious
, opposite to the perianth lobes, or absent. Ovary rudimentary in male flowers, sessile or shortly stipitate
, free or adnate
to the perianth; 1-locular, ovule solitary, erect
from the base
; style simple, or absent; stigma diverse
, capitate, penicillate-capitate (brushlike), subulate
, or peltate. Fruit usually a dry achene, sometimes a fleshy
drupe, often enclosed by the persistent perianth. Seed solitary, endosperm usually present; embryo straight; cotyledons ovate
About 47 genera and 1300 species: most numerous in wet tropical regions , extending into temperate regions ; 25 genera and 341 species (163 endemic, one introduced ) in China.
Plants in this family have numerous uses. The stem fiber of some genera and species is of high quality and used to make cloth, fishing nets , and ropes and for some industrial materials . In central and southern China,
Boehmeria nivea is widely cultivated for ramie fiber and Girardinia diversifolia subsp. triloba is widely cultivated for red huo ma fiber. Boiled young shoots of Girardinia, Laportea, and Urtica are eaten as vegetables. Some species are used in local Chinese medicine. Pellionia repens, Pilea cadierei, P. microphylla, and P. peperomioides, among other species, are widely cultivated as ornamentals in China and elsewhere. Some genera, such as Elatostema, Pellionia, and Pilea, occur frequently in shady, moist habitats of subtropical forests and become dominant elements of the forest floor vegetation. Plants of the first five genera belong to tribe Urticeae, which is usually characterized by the distinctive stinging hairs.
, with stinging
and nonstinging hairs
on same plant. Stems simple
or branched, erect
, or sprawling
. Leaves opposite; stipules present. Leaf blades
, lanceolate, ovate
, or orbiculate, margins
to serrate; cystoliths
or ± elongate
. Inflorescences axillary
, of cymes arranged in racemes
or panicles. Flowers unisexual
flowers in loose
to tight clusters
in separate inflorescences or intermixed in same inflorescence on same or different plants
; bracts narrowly triangular to lanceolate, lacking hooked
hairs. Staminate flowers
: tepals 4, distinct
, equal; stamens 4; pistillode
cuplike. Pistillate flowers: tepals 4, distinct, inner 2 equal to achene, outer 2 smaller, without hooked hairs; staminodes absent; style absent; stigma tufted
or deciduous. Achenes sessile, laterally compressed
or deltoid, loosely enclosed by inner tepals. x
= 12, 13.
Species 45: nearly worldwide.
Species Urtica urens
Herbs, annual , with taproot , 1-8 dm. Stems simple or branched, erect . Leaf blades elliptic to broadly elliptic, widest near middle , 1.8-9 × 1.2-4.5 cm, base cuneate, margins coarsely serrate, serrations often with lateral lobes , apex acute; cystoliths rounded . Inflorescences spikelike or paniculate . Flowers unisexual , staminate and pistillate in same inflorescence, subsessile to short-pedunculate. Pistillate flowers: outer tepals ovate , 0.5-0.7 mm, inner tepals broadly ovate, 0.6-0.9 × 1.2-1.4 mm. Achenes ovoid , 1.5-1.8 × 1.1-1.3 mm. 2 n = 24, 26. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: February, March, April, May, June, July. • Flower Color: cream, pale green, tan
Size: 6-12" tall.
Waste places, roadsides, pastures, barnyards, cultivated fields , rich woodlands; 0-700 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,936 meters (0 to 16,194 feet).
Culture: Space 6-9" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Urticanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Urtica
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 18 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
U. angustifolia (Narrow-Leaved Nettles) · U. ballotifolia (Nettle) · U. cannabina (Hemp Nettle) · U. chamaedryoides (Heartleaf Nettle) · U. dioica (California Nettle) · U. dioica dioica (California Nettle) · U. dioica holoserica (California Nettle) · U. dioica holosericea (California Nettle) · U. dioica subsp. gracilis (California Nettle) · U. dioica subsp. holosericea (Hoary Stinging Nettle) · U. ferox (Nettle Tree) · U. galeopsifolia (Narrow-Leaved Nettle) · U. gracilenta (Mountain Nettle) · U. hyperborea (Himalayan Nettle) · U. incisa (Scrub Nettle) · U. moluccana (Hawai'i Lopleaf) · U. pilulifera (Roman Nettle) · U. urens (Burning Nettle)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Flora of Berwick-upon-Tweed. By George Johnston, M.D. Edinburgh, J. Carfrae & Son; [etc., etc., ]1829-31. url p. 204.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url , .
- A catalogue of plants growing without cultivation in the County of Nantucket, Mass. Northampton, Mass., Gazette Printing Co., 1888. url p. 52.
- A compendium of general botany / by Max Westermaier; translated by Albert Schneider. New York: Wiley, 1896. url p. 62, p. 62.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 351.
- A complete guide to the English lakes, London, J. Garnett;186-?] url .
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trbner, & co., ltd., 1892. url .
- A contribution to the flora of Australia / by William Woolls. Sydney: F. White, 1867. url p. 150.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 165.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 367, p. 368, p. 368.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 185.
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 844.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url p. 669.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 844.
- A grammar of botany, illustrative of artificial, as well as natural, classification with an explanation of Jussieu's system. London, Longman, 1821. url p. xx.
- A grammar of botany: illustrative of artificial, as well as natural classification: with an explanation of Jussieu's system / by Sir James Edward Smith. London: Longman, Ree, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 178.
- A guide to the poisonous plants and weed seeds of Canada and the northern United States / by R.B. Thomson and H.B. Sifton. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1922. url p. 121, p. 13.
- A manual flora of Egypt / by Reno Muschler. With a preface by Paul Ascherson and Georg Schweinfurth. Berlin, R. Friedlaender, 1912. url p. 1245, p. 1257, p. 1264.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 663.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 496.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 637.
- A manual of forestry. London, Bradbury, Agnew, 1889-96. url p. 358.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 402.
- A manual of homoeopathic veterinary practice; New York, Boericke & Tafel, 1873. url p. 528, p. 648.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url fig. 192, p. 412.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 432.
- A manual of the medical botany of North America by Laurence Johnson. New York: W. Wood, 1884. url p. 245.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 253, p. 40.
- A natural history of British moths. .. / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: H. E. Knox, 1871. url p. 157, p. 33, p. 47, p. 48, p. 49, p. 51, p. 53, p. 65, p. 86, p. 88.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 135, p. 231.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 74.
- A preliminary catalogue of the flora of Vancouver and Queen Charlotte Islands. Victoria, B.C., Printed by W. H. Cullin, 1921. url p. 32.
- A sketch of Madeira: containing information for the traveller, or invalid visitor / by Edward Vernon Harcourt. London: John Murray, 1851. url p. 142.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 577.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A supplement to F. Hamilton Davey's Flora of Cornwall / by Edgar Thurston and Chambr C. Vigurs. Truro: Oscar Blackford, Royal Printeries, 1922. url p. 125.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formul. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 34.
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 258.
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 558.
- A text-book of materia medica and therapeutics: characteristic, analytical, and comparative / by A.C. Cowperthwaite. Chicago: Gross & Delbridge, 1891. url p. 773, p. 774.
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url p. 57.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. 45 1916 Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 119, p. 181, p. 189, p. 190, p. 212, p. 218, p. 220, p. 223, p. 228, p. 244, p. 268, p. 276, p. 319, p. 32, p. 334, p. 39, p. 391, p. 397, p. 405, p. 42, p. 64, p. 80, p. 87, tbl I.
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 172.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url page 153- 1, p. xv.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url , .
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 223, p. 974.
- An account of the flowering plants, ferns and allies of Harleston. With a sketch of the geology, climate, and natural characteristics of the neighbourhood. Compiled and edited by Francis William Galpin. To which are added Observations on the birds of the district, by Charles Candler. London, Bartlett, 1888. url p. 100.
- An elementary text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. .. London: S. Sonnenschein & co., lim.;1898. url p. 514.
- An historical, topographical, and statistical view of the United States of America: from the earliest period to the present time / by the Rev. William Winterbotham and others. London: J. Ridgway, 1819. url p. 399.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 234.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 524, p. 525.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 635.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 195, p. 197.
- An illustrated natural history of British butterflies and moths / by Edward Newman; the figures drawn by George Willis and engraved by John Kirchner. London [England]: W.H. Allen, [18--?] url p. 53.
- An introduction to botany, by John Lindley. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman, 1832. url p. 396.
- An introduction to botany. By John Lindley. London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1848. url p. 365.
- Anales de la Sociedad Espaola de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 127, p. 168, p. 210, p. 213, p. 230, p. 231, p. 231, p. 282, p. 295, p. 304, p. 312, p. 312, p. 349, p. 349, p. 380, p. 384, p. 89, p. 89, p. 98.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Suppl. 3 1910 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 245, p. 341.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 282.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 287.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 35, p. 83.
- Annual report of the Regents of the University on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, N.Y.: The University, 1848-1873. url p. 38.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the Connecticut Board of Agriculture. Hartford: The Board, 1867-1925. url p. 22.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 29, p. 42.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 35.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 517.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 517, p. 517.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 117, p. 328.
- Archivos. Rio de JaneiroImprensa Nacional url p. 275, p. 301.
- Autobiography and recolections of incidents connected with horticultural affairs, etc. from 1807 up to this day 1892. Albany, N.Y., Weed, Parsons and company, 1892. url p. 38.
- Autobiography and recollections of incidents connected with horticultural affairs, etc. from 1807 up to this day 1892. With portrait and allegorical figures. Albany, N. Y.: Weed, Parsons and Co., 1892. url p. 38.
- Bergen's botany: key and flora: Northern and Central States ed. / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 63.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 232, p. 35, p. 36.
- Botanical explorations in southern Texas during the season of 1894. [Lancaster, Pa.]The New Era Printing House, 1895. url p. 28.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 228, p. 266.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i Kbenhavn. Kbenhavn: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 191, p. 197, p. 405, p. 436.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 112, p. 180, p. 20.
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany of the Bermudas / by H.B. Small. Hamilton, Bermuda: S. Nelmes, 1913. url p. 83.
- Botany of the Bermudas, Hamilton, BermudaS. Nelmes, 1913. url .
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 314.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 491, p. 574.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 285.
- British plant-galls; a classified text book of cecidology, London, Methuen & co. ltd. url .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 216, p. 216.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 102.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 196.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 87.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 42, p. 43, p. 44.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 412.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 13.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 29 1902 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 182, p. 28, plate 314, p. 359, p. 507.
- Butterflies and moths (British) / by W. Furneaux. London; Longmans, Green, 1897. url p. 166.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Canine medicine and surgery / Chicago: American journal of veterinary medicine, 1915. url .
- Canine medicine and surgery, Chicago, American journal of veterinary medicine, 1915. url p. 146.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 151, p. 375.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 196.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 220, p. 370, p. 376, p. 600, p. 753.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 220, p. 370, p. 376, p. 600, p. 753.
- Catalogue of the coleopterous insects of the Canaries, in the collection of the British museum. By T. Vernon Wollaston. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1864. url p. 110.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 155.
- Catalogue of the science collections for teaching and research in the South Kensington Museum. .. London, Printed for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1891- url p. 101.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 106.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 35.
- Coleoptera Atlantidum, being an enumeration of the coleopterous insects of the Madeiras, Salvages, and Canaries. London, Van Voorst, 1865. url p. 107.
- Colonsay, one of the Hebrides, its plants: their local names and usses--legends, ruins, and place-names--Gaelic names of birds, fishes, etc.--climate, geological formation, etc. By Murdoch McNeill. Edinburgh: D. Douglas, 1910. url p. 167.
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 76.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 125.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 1 1835 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 338, p. 63.
- Compte rendu du Congre?s international d'essais de semences. Discussions at the International Seed Testing Conference. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Konferenz fu?r Samenpru?fung a?/in Copenhague (Danemark), 6.- 10. VI. 1921. Hamburg, Druck von Lu?tcke & Wulff url , .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 25 1925 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 141, p. 195, p. 408, p. 477, p. 494.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 23 2001 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 287, p. 311.
- Contributions from the herbarium of the Geological Survey of Canada / by James M. Macoun. [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1894-1906. url p. 150.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 102, p. 44.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 57.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 332, p. 340, p. 368.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 452, p. 61.
- Dictionary of the common names of plants with list of foreign plants cultivated in the open / by Rudolf Marloth. Cape Town: Specialty Press of South Africa, 1917. url p. 15, p. 61.
- Diptera Danica: genera and species of flies hitherto found in Denmark. Copenhagen, G.E.C. Gad, 1907-1927. url p. 141.
- Edmonston's flora of Shetland: comprehending a list of the prevalent wild-flowers, horse-tails, club-mosses and ferns of the Shetland Isles. Edinburgh; Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1903. url p. 83.
- Elements of plant anatomy; by Emily L. Gregory. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1895. url p. 27.
- Elements of practical agriculture; comprehending the cultivation of plants, the husbandry of the domestic animals, and the economy of the farm. London: Longman, [etc., etc.], 1838. url p. 437.
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url .
- English cyclopaedia, a new dictionary of universal knowledge, conducted by Charles Knight. London, Bradbury, 1854-61. url .
- English plant names from the tenth to the fifteenth century by John Earle. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1880. url .
- English wild flowers: to be found by the wayside, fields, hedgerows, rivers, moorlands, meadows, mountains, and sea-shore / by J.T. Burgess. London: F. Warne, [18--?] url p. 86.
- Enquiry into plants and minor works on odoùrs and weather signs, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1916. url p. 438, p. 493.
- Epping Forest / by Edward North Buxton. London: E. Stanford, 1885. url p. 125.
- Familiar lectures on botany, explaining the structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the Linnaean and natural methods, with a flora for practical botanists. By Almira H. Lincoln. New York, F. J. Huntington, 1854. url p. 285.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 209.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States, east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. By Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co., [c1868] url p. 299.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 322, p. 416.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url .
- Flora calpensis; contributions to the botany and topography of Gibraltar, and its neighbourhood. By E. F. Kelaart. London, J. van Voorst, 1846. url p. 151.
- Flora metropolitana; or, Botanical rambles within thirty miles of London, being the results of numerous excursions made in 1833, 34, 35. .. intended for the student in practical botany. .. London, S. Highley, 1836. url p. 14, p. 36, p. 46, p. 87.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 103.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 103.
- Flora of Cambridgeshire; or, A catalogue of plants found in the county of Cambridge; with references to former catalogues, and the localities of the rarer species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1860. url .
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url .
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1952 Chicago: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1952. url p. 430.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 167, p. 20, p. 378, p. 457, p. 468, p. 473.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for the identification of the flowering plants and ferns, by George Neville Jones. .. Notre Dame, Ind., The University Press, 1945. url p. 113.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity / by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal. 1917. url p. 99.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity, by Le Roy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal., Stanford University Press, 1904. url p. 107.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride; B.E. Dahlgren, editor. 13 1937 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 332, p. 334.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 202.
- Flora of Yucatan, by Paul C. Standley. 3 1930 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 248.
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url p. 105.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 305.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 356, p. 356.
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 412.
- Flora of tropical Africa. By Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. London, L. Reeve, 1868-1902. url p. 242.
- Florula Bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 365.
- Florula Mortolensis. An enumeration of the plants growing wild at La Mortola. Ventimiglia, Billi, 1905. url .
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 365.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 192.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 257.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp; New York, Harper & Brothers, 1899. url .
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 262.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 188.
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 63, p. 63.
- Foundations of botany, Boston, Ginn & Co., 1901. url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 274, p. 604.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 265.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 265.
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 299.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 1185.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Mller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 371, p. 549.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London, L. Reeve & Co., ltd., 1918. url p. 399.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and New Castle County, Delaware, with keys for identification comp. by Ida A. Keller and Stewardson Brown. Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url p. 126.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 131, p. 89, p. 99.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 25.
- History and antiquities of Charnwood forest: with an appendix on the geology, botany & ornithology of the district. .. London: Hamilton, 1842. url p. 53.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 2 1853 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 225, p. 322.
- Hooker, W. J. Botanical miscellany. 1 1830 London: J. Murray, 1830-1833. url p. 180, p. 180.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 2 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 141.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 246.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift fr die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 8.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 97.
- Illustrated natural history of British butterflies and moths; the figures drawn by George Willis and engraved by John Kirchner. London, Glaisher, pref. 1869. url p. 53.
- Illustrations of British entomology; or, A synopsis of indigenous insects: containing their generic and specific distinctions. By James Francis Stephens. London:Printed for the author; published by Baldwin and Cradock, 1828-1835. url p. 103, p. 44, p. 46.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url p. 343.
- Injurious and beneficial insects of California. / By E. O. Essig. Sacramento, California state printing office, 1915 url p. 53.
- Introduction to the plant-life of the Oxford district. London, Milford, 1922-25. url p. 87, p. 97.
- Investigations on microscopic foams and on protoplasm. Experiments & observations directed towards a solution of the question of the physical conditions of the phenomena of life. London, A. and C. Black, 1894. url .
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 138.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift fr Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 105, p. 164, p. 330, p. 907, p. 910.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 25 1887 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 109, p. 116, p. 123, p. 128, p. 138, p. 145, p. 148, p. 151, p. 163, p. 165, p. 172, p. 207, p. 209, p. 235, p. 235, p. 246, p. 258, p. 27, p. 276, p. 277, p. 277, p. 295, p. 296, p. 298, p. 305, p. 308, p. 309, p. 328, p. 359, p. 361, p. 40, p. 41, p. 51, p. 7, p. 73, p. 96.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 1 1834 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 18.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 11 1991 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 297.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 119.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 27 1926 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 139.
- Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England. London:Royal Agricultural Society of England [etc.], 1840-2002. url p. 197.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , , p. 251, p. 934, p. 939.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. Botany. 5 1861 London: Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts: ||Williams and Norgate, 1857-1864. url p. 34.
- Key to the system of Victorian plants. .. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Melbourne, R.S. Bain, government printer, 1885-88. url p. 532.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 189.
- Lake Superior: its physical character, vegetation, and animals, compared with those of other and similar regions. By Louis Agassiz. With a narrative of the tour, by J. Elliot Cabot. And contributions by other scientific gentlemen. .. Boston, Gould, Kendall and Lincoln, 1850. url p. 189, p. 189.
- Landmarks of botanical history, a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Washington, Smithsonian Inst., 1909- url p. 179.
- Landmarks of botanical history; a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Part I.--Prior to 1562 A. D. Washington, Smithsonian institution, 1909. url .
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 123.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url , p. 141, p. 142, p. 240, p. 54.
- Lectures on plant physiology / by Ludwig Jost; authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 50.
- Lectures on plant physiology / translated by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 50.
- Lectures on plant physiology. Authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 50.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Sydney Howard Vines. . Cambridge, Cambridgeshire: The University Press, 1886 url p. 94.
- Lessons in Elementary Botany, the part of Systematic Botany based upon material left in manuscript by the late Prof. Henslow. London, MacMillan, 1888. url p. 206.
- Library bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture Library. [Washington, D.C.: G.P.O.], 1894-1901. url p. 37.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 135.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 295.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1087.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi and north of North Carolina and Tennessee, arranged according to the natural system / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1867. url p. 444.
- Manual of the botany of the region of San Francisco Bay. San Francisco, Cubery & Company, Printers, 1894. url .
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 342.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 432.
- Manual of veterinary specific homeopathy, comprising diseases of horses, cattle, sheep, hogs, dogs and poultry, and their specific homeopathic treatment. New York, Humphreys' specific homeopathic medicine co., 1883. url p. 70.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 115.
- Martin's Natural history / Translated from the thirty-fifth German edition, by Sarah A. Myers; containing two hundred and sixty-two beautifully colored illustrations; First [and second] series. New York: Phinney, Blakeman & Mason, 1861- url p. 326.
- Meddelelser om Grnland. Kbenhavn, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 149, p. 151, p. 993.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 282.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 135, p. 181.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 47, p. 77.
- Miller, P. The gardeners dictionary: containing the best and newest methods of cultivating and improving the kitchen, fruit, flower garden, and nursery, as also for performing the practical parts of agriculture, including the management of vineyards, with the methods of making and preserving wine, according to the present practice of the most skilful vignerons in the several wine countries in Europe, together with directions for propagating and improving, from real practice and experience, all sorts of timber trees /by Philip Miller. 1768 London: Printed for the author and sold by John and Francis Rivington. .. [and 23 others], 1768. url , p. URE-URT.
- Monthly microscopical journal: transactions of the Royal Microscopical Society, and record of histological research at home and abroad. London, R. Hardwicke, 1869-1877. url p. 18.
- Muhlenbergia. Chico, Calif. [etc] url p. 96.
- Mmoires. Bruxelles, The Society. url p. 228, p. 241.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url p. 312.
- Natal plants: Descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution, economic value, native names, &c., / by J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Published under the auspices of Nat Durban: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1898-1912. url .
- Natal plants: descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution economic value, native names, etc., etc. / By J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Durban: Bennett & Davis, 1899 (i.e. 1898)-1912. url p. 228.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 222, p. 222.
- Nature's teachings, human invention anticipated by nature. Boston, Roberts, 1885. url p. 67.
- Nature's teachings: human invention anticipated by nature; by the Rev. J. G. Wood. London, W. Glaisher, 1907. url p. 67.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 162, p. 554.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 134, p. 209, p. 375, p. 422.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 8 1998 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 15.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. San Diego, The Society. url p. 36.
- Odorographia: a natural history of raw materials and drugs used in the perfume industry: intended to serve growers, manufacturers and consumers / by J. Ch. Sawer. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1892-1894. url p. 352.
- Oliver, D. Flora of tropical Africa /by Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. 6 1916-1917 London: L. Reeve and co., 1868-1999. url p. 242, p. 304.
- On the Lysianassa magellanica H. Milne Edwards, and on the Crustacea of the suborder Amphipoda and subfamily Lysianassina found an [i.e., on] the coast of Sweden and Norway / by William Lilljeborg. Upsala: Royal Acad. Press, 1865. url p. 9.
- On the naturalised weeds and other plants in South Australia / by Richard Schomburgk. Adelaide: E. Spiller, Acting Govt. Printer, 1879. url p. 11.
- Organography of plants, especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta, by Dr. K. Goebel. .. authorized English ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-05. url p. 134.
- Outlines of classification and special morphology of plants, by K. Goebel. A new ed. of Sachs' Text-book of botany, book II, authorized English translation by Henry E. F. Garnsey; rev. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. With 407 woodcuts. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 410, p. 410.
- Outlines of creation. By Elisha Noyce. .. London, Ward & Lock, 1858. url p. 201.
- Palladin's Plant physiology. Authorized ed. in English, based on the German translation of the 6th Russian ed. and on the 7th Russian ed. (1914) of the Text-book of plant physiology. By Vladimir I. Palladin. With additions and Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son, [c1926] url p. 141.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 155.
- Pathological plant anatomy, n.p., 1915 url .
- Pharmaceutical botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1914] url .
- Pharmaceutical botany, with glossary of botanical terms. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 108.
- Physiological botany; I. Outlines of the histology of phaenogamous plants; II. Vegetable physiology. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, [c1885] url p. 265.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 230.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 36, p. 422.
- Picture of organized nature, in its spreading over the earth. Translated from the German of Wilbrand & Ritgen. London, Smith, 1828. url p. 40.
- Plant anatomy from the standpoint of the development and functions of the tissues, and handbook of micro-technic, by William Chase Stevens. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston, 1910. url p. 67.
- Plant life in Alpine Switzerland; being an account in simple language of the natural history of Alpine plants, London, J. Murray, 1910. url , .
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 477.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 477.
- Plant physiology, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1918] url .
- Plant physiology, by Vladimir I. Palladin. Authorized English ed. based on the German translation of the 6th Russian ed. and on the 7th Russian ed. (1914) Edited by Burton Edward Livingston. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1923] url p. 141.
- Plant physiology; authorized English translation by R. J. HarveyGibson; supplement incorporating the alterations of the 2d ed. of the German original. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1913. url p. 50.
- Plant-life, by Charles A. Hall. .. with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from drawings by C. F. Newall. London: A. & C. Black, ltd., 1915. url p. 343.
- Plant-life, ill. by the author and C.F. Newall. London, Black, 1915. url p. 343.
- Plant-life, with 74 full-page illus., 24 being from photos, by the author and 50 in colour from drawings London, A. & C. Black, 1915. url .
- Plantae Utowanae. Plants collected in Bermuda, Porto Rico, St. Thomas, Culebras, Santo Domingo, Jamaica, Cuba, The Caymans, Cozumel, Yucatan and the Alacran shoals. Dec. 1898-Mar. 1899. The Antillean cruise of the yach 2 1900 Chicago, 1900. url p. 33.
- Plants poisonous to live stock / Cambridge: University Press, 1917. url .
- Plants poisonous to live stock, by Harold C. Long. .. Cambridge: University press, 1917. url p. 105.
- Plants poisonous to live stock. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1917. url .
- Pocketbook of veterinary medical practice, Philadelphia, Boericke & Tafel, 1909. url p. 74.
- Poisonous plants of all countries, by A. Bernhard-Smith. London, Baillire, Tindall & Cox, 1923. url p. 28.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 600.
- Popular field botany; containing a familiar and technical description of the plants most common to the various localities of the British Isles, adapted to the study of either the artificial or natural systems. London, Reeve, Benham & Reeve, 1849. url p. 334.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 262.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 771.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 197.
- Proceedings - Cambridge Philosophical Society. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society [etc.] url p. 239.
- Proceedings - Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. Dorchester, Eng. url p. 39.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 51, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 155.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 153, p. 654.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url p. 93.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 261, p. 265, p. 274.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 113.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 229, p. 29.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 46.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 135, p. 39.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 202, p. 33.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. Oxford, [etc.]Clarendon Press [etc.] url p. 139, p. 259, p. 260.
- Report & transactions. BirminghamHerald Press url p. 23, p. 23.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, Office of the Regents, 1871-1888 url p. 29, p. 38, p. 42.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the State Entomologist on the noxious and beneficial insects of the state of Illinois. [Springfield, Ill.?]: State Entomologist, [1876?]-1916. url p. 83.
- Report on the agriculture and geology of Mississippi. Embracing a sketch of the social and natural history of the state. By B.L.C. Wailes, geologist of Mississippi. .. [Jackson]E. Barksdale, State Printer, 1854. url p. 345.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 4, p. 65.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 44.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Made under the direction of the secretary of war, in 1853-. .. 4 1856 Washington, A.O.P. Nicholson, Printer [etc.]1855-60. url p. 139, p. 24, p. 89, p. 89.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 310, p. 311, p. 733.
- Science progress. London: John Murray, 1916- url p. 128.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 610.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 180.
- Settler's guide and farmer's handbook. .. Issued by direction of the Bureau of agriculture. Ed. by L. Lindley-Cowen. .. pt. 1. Perth, E.S. Wigg, 1897- url p. 565.
- Sketch of a journey to the Rocky Mountains and to the Columbia River in North America by Thomas Drummond. S.l.: s.n., 1830 url .
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 356.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 54 1910 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 179, p. 399.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url .
- South African journal of science. [Marshalltown, Transvaal: South African Association for the Advancement of Science, url p. 159.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 339, p. 339.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 46.
- Spicilegium florae Maroccanae / by John Ball. London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1878. url p. 664.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By M. R. Barnard. .. London, Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 301.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 619.
- Structural and systematic botany: being an arrangement of plants, forming a basis for the study of botany, either on the Linnaean or natural systems. London, C. Griffin[pref. 1855] url p. 182.
- Studies on the vegetation of the Transcaspian lowlands, by Ove Paulsen. Copenhagen, Gyldendal, 1912. url p. 23.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1371.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants; together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the America By Alphonso Wood. Chicago, A. S. Barnes, 1870. url p. 300.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 565.
- The American gardener's calendar; adapted to the climates and seasons of the United States. Containing a complete account of all the work necessary to be done. .. for every month in the year; with ample practical directions for performing the same. .. By Bernard M'Mahon. Philadelphia, Printed by B. Graves, no. 40, North Fourth-Street, for the author, 1806. url p. 584.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 315, p. 392.
- The American journal of science. 10(2) 1850 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 108, p. 315.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 10, p. 12, p. 125, p. 187, p. 187, p. 19, p. 19, p. 33, p. 333, p. 392, p. 392, p. 41, p. 428, p. 428, p. 472, p. 5, p. 6, p. 71.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 112, p. 166, p. 180, p. 235, p. 241, p. 259, p. 259, p. 34, p. 38, p. 41, p. 55, p. 91.
- The British flora medica, or, History of the medicinal plants of Great Britain / by Benjamin H. Barton, and Thomas Castle. London: E. Cox, 1838. url p. 166.
- The British herbal: an history of plants and trees, natives Britain, cultivated for use, or raised for beauty. /by John Hill, M.D. 1756 London: Printed for T. Osborne and J. Shipton [etc.]1756. url p. 483.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 446.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 22.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 63 1949 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 11, p. 112, p. 429, p. 55, p. 82.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal: Natural History Society, 1884-1916. url , , p. 22, p. 290, p. 311.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 322.
- The Emu: official organ of the Australasian Ornithologists' Union. Melbourne: Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, 1901- url p. 285.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url .
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 442, p. 442.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 15.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 142, p. 151, p. 269, p. 299, p. 40.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 163, p. 163, p. 30, p. 60, p. 61, p. 61.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 149, p. 151.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 291.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 75.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 351, p. 406.
- The Garden flowers of the year. LondonReligious Tract Society[1847?] url p. 124.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 107, p. 160, p. 496.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 629.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 298, p. 548, p. 582.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 18.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 190.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 438, p. 456.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 38 1907-09 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 210, p. 216, p. 226, p. 269, p. 326, p. 34, p. 39, p. 473.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 202.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 321.
- The Manchester flora: a descriptive list of the plants growing wild within eighteen miles of Manchester, with notices of the plants commonly cultivated in gardens; preceded by an introduction to botany, by L. H. Grindon. London, W. White, 1859. url p. 354.
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url , p. 79, p. 800.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 187, p. 201, p. 3, p. 331, p. 336, p. 37, p. 45, p. 54.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 304.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 304.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 157, p. 32, p. 59.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 150, p. 248, p. 262, p. 316, p. 320, p. 377, p. 42, p. 421, p. 506, p. 62.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 145, p. 415, p. 827.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 84.
- The Pliocene floras of the Dutch-Prussian border, 's-Gravenhage, M. Nijhoff, 1915. url , .
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 771.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 145.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 120, p. 255, p. 272, p. 311, p. 41, p. 82.
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 48.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 12, p. 27.
- The West-American scientist. San Diego: C.R. Orcutt. url p. 140.
- The bacteriology of diphtheria, including sections on the history, epidemiology and pathology of the disease, the mortality caused by it, the toxins and antitoxins and the serum disease, by F. Loeffler, Arthur Newsholme, F. B. Mallory, G. S. Graham-Smith, George Dean, William H. Park, Charles F. Bolduan. Ed. by G. H. F. Nuttall and G. S. Graham-Smith Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1913 url p. 245.
- The book of British butterflies. London, L.U. Gill, 1893. url p. 108.
- The book of British butterflies: a practical manual for collectors and naturalists / by W.J. Lucas; with illustrations by the author London: L. Upcott Gill, 1893 url p. 108.
- The botany of Iceland, edited by L. Kolderup Rosenvinge and Eug. Warming. Copenhagen, J. Frimodt, 1912- url p. 296.
- The botany of the Eastern Borders: with the popular names and uses of the plants, and of the customs and beliefs which have been associated with them / by George Johnston. London: J. Van Voorst, 1853. url p. 325.
- The chemistry of wine by G.J. Mulder; edited by H. Bence Jones. London: J. Churchill, 1857. url p. 333.
- The coleoptera of the British Islands, a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, with notes as to localities, habitats, etc. London, Reeve, 1887-91. url p. 142.
- The complete grazier and farmers' and cattlebreeders' assistant. .. originally written by William Youatt. .. considerably enlarged and mainly rewritten in 1893 and 1900 by William Fream. .. London, C. Lockwood and son, 1908. url p. 857.
- The cyclopdia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url p. 660.
- The ethnobotany of Chinchero, an Andean community in southern Peru / Christine Franquemont. .. [et al.]. 24 1990 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c1990. url p. 105.
- The feeding of crops and stock: an introduction to the science of the nutrition of plants and animals / by A.D. Hall. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1911. url p. 165.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url p. 311.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 169, p. 443.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 153.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 153.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 91.
- The flora of Oxfordshire and its contiguous counties: (comprising the flowering plants only;) arranged in easy and familiar language according to the Linnaean and natural systems; preceded by an introduction to botany / Oxford: H. Slatter, 1833. url p. 277, p. 277.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 70.
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 95.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 121.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 59.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 406, p. 406.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 406.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 482.
- The homopathic veterinary doctor, giving the history, means of prevention, and symptoms of all diseases of the horse, ox, sheep, hog, dog, cat, poultry and birds, and the most approved methods of treatment, Chicago, Gross & Delbridge, 1890. url p. 338.
- The homopathic veterinary doctor, giving the history, means of prevention, and symptoms of all diseases of the horse, ox, sheep, hog, dog, cat, poultry and birds, and the most approved methods of treatment, Chicago, Gross & Delbridge, 1890. url .
- The island of Nantucket: what it was and what it is: being a complete index and guide to this noted resort: containing descriptions of everything on or about the island in regard to which the visitor or resident may desire Boston: C.T. Dillingham, c1882. url p. 45.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 252.
- The language of flowers, or, Floral emblems of thoughts, feelings, and sentiments / by Robert Tyas; with twelve coloured groups of flowers. London; G. Routledge, 1869. url p. 146.
- The language of flowers: or, Floral emblems of thoughts, feelings, and sentiments. .. London, G. Routledge and sons, 1869. url .
- The life of John Duncan Scotch weaver and botanist: with sketches of his friends and notices of the times / by William Jolly. London: Kegan Paul, Trench and Co., 1883. url p. 494, p. 511.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 905.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url p. 380, p. 940.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. .. tr. by Prof. J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. .. Chicago, Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1909-10. url , , p. 543, p. 547.
- The natural history of Chautauqua. New York: B. W. Huebsch, 1917. url p. 54.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 351, p. 402.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 290, p. 351, p. 402.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , , .
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 514.
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 980.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalised flora of South Australia / by J.M. Black. Adelaide: J.M. Black, 1909. url p. 138.
- The naturalist in Norway: or, Notes on the wild animals, birds, fishes, and plants of that country. .. / by Rev. J. Bowden. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1869. url p. 250.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 21, p. 321, p. 339, p. 355, p. 368, p. 91.
- The ontogeny of insects; [papers]. London, Academic Press url p. 333, p. 336, p. 338.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 258, p. 265, p. 83.
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url , p. 230, p. 258, p. 292.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 232, p. 294.
- The plant cell, its modifications and vital processes; a manual for students. London, C. Griffin and Company, Ltd., 1910. url .
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 134.
- The principles of botany, as exemplified in the phanerogamia. Philadelphia: King & Baird, 1854. url .
- The principles of botany: as exemplified in the phanerogamia / by Harland Coultas. Philadelphia: King & Baird, printers, 1854. url p. 24.
- The principles of practical gardening. London: R. Baldwin, 1845. url p. 117, p. 343.
- The romance of plant life, interesting descriptions of the strange and curious in the plant world, by G. F. Scott Elliot. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1907. url p. 190.
- The story of plant life in the British Isles; types of the common natural orders, by A.R. Horwood. London, J. & A. Churchill, 1914-15. url .
- The succession of forest trees, and Wild apples, by Henry D. Thoreau. With a biographical sketch by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Boston [etc.]Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1887. url p. 50.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 410.
- The tourist's flora: a descriptive catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of the British Islands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and the Italian islands / London: Reeve and Benham, 1850. url p. 295.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 163, p. 242, p. 367.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 736.
- The weeds of New South Wales, pt. I- Sydney, W.A. Gullick, Gov't. printer, 1920- url , , p. 21, p. 41.
- The weeds, poison plants, and naturalized aliens of Victoria. Melbourne, J. Kemp, Government Printer1909. url .
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. 2(1) 1859 Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url p. 202, p. 202.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 121, p. 198, p. 5.
- Tracts relative to botany, tr. from different languages. Illustrated by nine copper plates, and occasional remarks. London, Printed by Phillips and Fardon [etc.]1805. url p. 29, p. 36.
- Transactions and proceedings and report of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1880-1889. url p. 144.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 121, p. 168, p. 185, p. 19, p. 227, p. 90.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 198, p. 457, p. 493.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 300, p. 306, p. 91.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 206.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1896 London. url p. 205.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 138.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 245.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1890-1903. url p. 283, p. 5.
- Transactions of the Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: The Society, -1887. url p. 206.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 18 1907 Cape Town, : The Society. url p. 224.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 202.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 104, p. 153.
- Travels in Brazil, in the years 1817-1820, : undertaken by command of His majesty the King of Bavaria by Dr. Joh.Babt. von Spix and Dr. C. F. Phil. von Martius / London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green;1824. url p. 127.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 70.
- Veterinary homoeopathy in its application to the horse; including a code of common suggestive symptoms, Philadelphia, Boericke & Tafel, 1896. url p. 314.
- Veterinary homopathy in its application to the horse: including a code of common suggestive symptoms / by John Sutcliffe Hurndall. Philadelphia: Boericke & Tafel, 1910. url p. 314.
- Vorlesungen ber Pflanzenphysiologie. Jena, G. Fischer, 1904. url p. 62.
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 143, p. 153, p. 179, p. 225, p. 238.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 143, p. 179, p. 225, p. 238.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url .
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 188.
- Zambezia: a general description of the valley of the Zambezi River, from its delta to the River Aroangwa, with its history, agriculture, flora, fauna, and ethnography / London: J. Murray, 1910. url .
- Zoe:a biological journal. 1 1890 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 125, p. 145, p. 30, p. 373.
- Zoologische Jahrbcher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 135, p. 34.
- Chen Chiajui & Wang Wentsai. 1995. Urticaceae. In: Wang Wentsai & Chen Chiajui, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 23(2): 1404.
- Woodland, D. W., I. J. Bassett, and C. W. Crompton. 1976. The annual species of stinging nettle (Hesperocnide and Urtica) in North America. Canad. J. Bot. 54: 374-383.
- Woodland, D. W. 1982. Biosystematics of the perennial North American taxa of Urtica. II. Taxonomy. Syst. Bot. 7: 282-290.
- Woodland, D. W., I. J. Bassett, L. Crompton, and S. Forget. 1982. Biosystematics of the perennial North American taxa of Urtica. I. Chromosome number, hybridization, and palynology. Syst. Bot. 7: 269-281.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, GEO Biodiversity Day
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, Herbarium Willing
- Forest Research Institute, Department of Natural Forests, Herbarium
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2645859
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-19158
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4462689
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:857987-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 101585
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 19158
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: URUR
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 65605
- Jiarui Chen, Prof. Qi Lin, Ib Friis, C. Melanie Wilmot-Dear & Alex K. Monro "Urticaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 5 Page 76. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Urtica". in Flora of North America Vol. 3. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Urtica urens". in Flora of North America Vol. 3. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 132.030 meters (433.169 feet), Standard Deviation = 248.950 based on 10,176 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]