Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Aramina, Bur-Mallow, Caesar Weed, Caesar-Weed, Caesarweed, Chosuched E Kui, Congo Jute Urena Lobata, Congo-Jute, Dadangsi Apaka, Hibiscus Burr, Jute Africain
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hindi:
Bachita, Lapetua, Pthia, Unga, उनंगा, पिथया, बिचता, लपेटुवा
Common Names in India:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Aguaxima, Carrapicho-De-Lavadeira, Carrapicho-Redondo, Embira, Guaxima, Guaxima-Rósea, Malvaísco, Malva-De-Embira, Malva-Rósea, Uaicima
Common Names in Spanish:
Aramina, Cadillo, Malva Blanca
, or less often trees
; indumentum usually with peltate scales
. Leaves alternate, stipulate
; leaf blade
usually palmately veined, entire or various lobed
. Flowers solitary, less often in small cymes or clusters
, often aggregated into terminal
or panicles, usually conspicuous
, usually bisexual
in Kydia) . Epicalyx
often present, forming an involucre around calyx, 3- to many lobed. Sepals 5, valvate
. Petals 5, free, contorted, or imbricate, basally adnate
. Stamens usually very many, filaments connate into tube; anthers
1-celled. Pollen spiny
. Ovary superior, with 2-25 carpels, often separating from one another and from axis; ovules 1 to many per locule; style as many or 2 Ã— as many as pistils, apex branched or capitate. Fruit a loculicidal capsule or a schizocarp, separating into individual mericarps, rarely berrylike when mature
(Malvaviscus) ; carpels sometimes with an endoglossum (a crosswise projection from back wall of carpel to make it almost completely septate
. Seeds often reniform
, sometimes conspicuously so.
About 100 genera and ca. 1000 species: tropical and temperate regions of N and S Hemisphere; 19 genera (four introduced ) and 81 species (24 endemic, 16 introduced) in China.
Molecular studies have shown that the members of the Bombacaceae, Malvaceae, Sterculiaceae, and Tiliaceae form a very well-defined monophyletic group that is divided into ten also rather well-defined clades, only two of which correspond to the traditional families Bombacaceae and Malvaceae. Some of the remaining groups are included entirely within either of the remaining families but others cut across the traditional divide between the Sterculiaceae and Tiliaceae. A majority of authors , most notably Bayer and Kubitzki (Fam. Gen. Vasc. Pl. 5: 225-311. 2003), has favored including everything within a greatly enlarged Malvaceae, and treating the individual clades as subfamilies. The alternative view is that the individual clades should be treated as a series of ten families: Bombacaceae (Bombacoideae), Brownlowiaceae (Brownlowioideae), Byttneriaceae (Byttnerioideae), Durionaceae (Durionoideae), Helicteraceae (Helicteroideae), Malvaceae (Malvoideae), Pentapetaceae (Dombeyoideae), Sparrmanniaceae (Grewioideae), Sterculiaceae (Sterculioideae), and Tiliaceae (Tilioideae) (Cheek in Heywood et al. , Fl. Pl. Fam. World. 201-202. 2007) . For the present treatment, we prefer to retain the familiar, traditional four families, so as to maintain continuity with the treatments in FRPS, and to await a consensus on the two alternative strategies for dealing with the very widely accepted clades.
The traditional Malvaceae coincides exactly with one of the major clades. The only possible problem is the relationship with the Bombacaceae, which also has primarily 1-loculed anthers, and some authorities have suggested that the Bombacaceae should be included within the Malvaceae.
Members of the Malvaceae are important as fiber crops (particularly cotton, Gossypium) . Young leaves of many species can be used as vegetables, and species of Abelmoschus and Hibiscus are grown as minor food crops. Many species have attractive flowers and an ever-increasing selection is grown as ornamentals . Several have been cultivated for a very long time, particularly species of Hibiscus, and some of these are not known in the wild.
. Leaves alternate; leaf blade
, palmately lobed
, with 1 or more prominent
nectaries on abaxial
surface. Flowers solitary or nearly fascicled, rarely racemelike, axillary
or rarely aggregated on twig
, 5-lobed. Calyx 5-parted. Petals 5, stellate puberulent abaxially. Staminal
or slightly incised; anthers
, on outside of staminal column only, nearly sessile. Ovary 5-loculed; ovule 1 per locule; style branches 10, reflexed
; stigma discoid
, apically ciliate
. Fruit a schizocarp, subglobose; mericarps 5, ovoid
, usually with spines, these each with a cluster
of short barbs
at tips. Seed 1, obovoid-trigonous or reniform
About six species: in tropical and subtropical regions; three species (one endemic) in China.
Some authorities have restricted Urena to the taxa with barb-tipped setae, sometimes treating these as a single, very variable, pantropical species, and placed other species, including U. repanda, in Pavonia. Some species of Triumfetta (Tiliaceae s.l.) are superficially rather similar and have been confused with this genus.
Species Urena lobata
Subshrublike herbs, erect
, to 1 m
2 mm, caducous
1-4 cm, gray-white
stellate; leaf blades
part of stem nearly orbicular
4-5 × 5-6 cm, base
or nearly cordate, margin
apex 3-lobed, blades on middle
part of stem ovate, 5-7 × 3-6.5
cm, those on distal part of stem oblong to lanceolate, 4-7 ×
1.5-3 cm, abaxially gray stellate puberulent, adaxially puberulent
Flowers solitary or slightly aggregated, axillary
. Pedicel ca. 3
for ca. 1/3 length
, ca. 6 mm,
puberulent. Calyx cup-shaped, lobes 5, slightly shorter than bracteoles,
stellate puberulent, caducous. Corolla reddish, ca. 15 mm in diam.;
petals 5, obovate
, ca. 1.5 cm, abaxially stellate puberulent. Staminal
column ca. 15 mm, glabrous
. Style branches 10, hirsute
. Fruit flattened
, ca. 1 cm in diam.; mericarps stellate puberulent and spiny
This is a polymorphic species for which many infraspecific taxa have been described from throughout its range . [source]
Habit: Subshrub , Shrub
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May, June, July, August, September. • Flower Color: pink
Size: 36-48" tall.
Grasslands, scrub , roadsides; 500-2200 m .
Culture: Space 24-36" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Malvales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Superorder: Malvanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Urena lobata sinuata (L.) Waalkes • Urena lobata var. sinuata (L.) Miq. Ex Kuntze
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Urena
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 1997 IUCN red list of threatened plants Cambridge: IUCN, World Conservation Union, 1998 url p. 396.
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 374, p. 374.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 102, p. 259, p. 321.
- A forest flora of Chota Nagpur including Gangpur and the Santal-Parganahs. A description of all the indigenous trees, shrubs and climbers, the principal economic herbs, and the most commonly cultivated trees and shrubs (with introduction and glossary) by H. H. Haines. Dehra Dun, India, Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 1910. url p. 184.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 471.
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 147, p. 387, p. 451.
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url p. 552.
- A manual of Indian botany. London, Blackie & Son Ltd., 1920. url .
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 410.
- A manual of the Nílagiri district in the Madras Presidency. Compiled and edited by H. B. Grigg. Madras, Printed by E. Keys at the Government Press, 1880. url p. 106.
- A record of plants collected in Southern Rhodesia; arramged on Engler's system. Compiled by Fred. Eyles. Cape Town, 1916 url p. 414.
- A review of the references to the Hortus malabaricus of Henry Van Rheede Van Draakenstein [sic] Swansea: Printed at the Cambrian-Office, by Murray and Rees, 1839. url p. 49.
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and as a handbook for food and drug analysts. London, Lippincott[c1907] url .
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url p. 354.
- A year in Fiji, or, An inquiry into the botanical, agricultural, and economical resources of the colony. By John Horne. .. Published at the request of the Hon. Sir A. H. Gordon. .. London: E. Stanford; [etc., etc.], 1881. url p. 269.
- Addisonia: colored illustrations and popular descriptions of plants. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1916-. url , , , , , p. 18, p. 19, p. 70, p. 74.
- Agricultural index. New York, H. W. Wilson Co. url p. 1155.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 189, p. 412.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 36, p. 37.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 285, p. 554.
- An introduction to the natural system of botany: or, A systematic view of the organization, natural affinities, and geographical distribution of the whole vegetable kingdom; together with the uses of the most important species in medicine, the arts, By John Lindley. New York, G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 34, p. 391.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 240.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 32 1923 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 145, p. 173, p. 188.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Peradeniya. Colombo: Skien; 1901-1924. url .
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 651.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Columbian Museum. Chicago, U.S.A.: The Museum, 1895-1905. url p. 378.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 611.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 611.
- Bengal plants: a list of the phanerogams, ferns and fern-allies indigenous to, or commonly cultivated in, the Lower provinces and Chittagong, with definitions of the natural orders and genera, and keys to the genera and species. 1 1903 Calcutta: Botanical Survey of India1903. url p. 261.
- Bibliographical catalogue of the described tranformations of North American Lepidoptera by Henry Edwards. Washington: G.P.O., 1889. url .
- Bibliography of the more important contributions to American economic entomology. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889-1905. url p. 295, p. 348.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 14, p. 28.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , , , p. 374.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 147, p. 227, p. 240, p. 467, p. 634.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 270, p. 486.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 101, p. 103, p. 95.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 199, p. 201, p. 248, p. 494.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1910 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 139, p. 18, p. 200, p. 285, p. 358.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 351.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 8 1912-1914 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 397.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 16 1889 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 154.
- Bulletin. Manila, Bureau of printing, 1903- url p. 103, p. 115, p. 12, p. 13, p. 14, p. 8, p. 84, p. 85.
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 898.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 898.
- Catalogue of the African plants collected by Dr. Friedrich Welwitsch in 1853-61. .. London, Printed by order of the Trustees, 1896-1901. url p. 67, p. 67.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 254, p. 354, p. 357, p. 358, p. 464, p. 540.
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 154.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 50 2004 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 138, p. 234, p. 255, p. 259, p. 291, p. 371, p. 387, p. 40, p. 417, p. 443, p. 466, p. 54, p. 586, p. 71, p. 91, p. 93.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 14 1980 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 132, p. 140.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 132, p. 30.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 21.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 21.
- Cotton and other vegetable fibres: their production and utilization, by Ernest Goulding. London:Murray, 1919. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 236, p. 240.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 63 1836 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , p. 173.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 285, p. 698.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada; New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url .
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 285, p. 698.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 68.
- Don, G. A general history of the dichlamydeous plants: comprising complete descriptions of the different orders...the whole arranged according to the natural system /by George Don. 1 1831 London: J.G. and F. Rivington, 1831-1838. url p. 471.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 122, p. 122, p. 123.
- European system of flax culture Americanized and adapted to the local conditions of U. S. A. (especially Puget Sound) The American system of flax and other fiber culture, Bellingham, Wash., Union printing, bdg. & sta. co., inc., c1917 url , .
- Every man his own gardener. Being a new, and much more complete gardener's kalendar than any one hitherto published... By Thomas Mawe and John Abercrombie. .. and other gardeners. London, Printed for J. F. and C. Rivington, S. Crowder, B. Law, T. Lowndes, G. Robinson, T. Cadell, T. Evans, W. Goldsmith, R. Baldwin, and E. Newbery.1782. url p. 558.
- Exotic microlepidoptera, v. 1-5, Mar. 1912-Sept. 1936. Hampton (Middx.), E. W. Classey Ltd., 1969. url p. 85.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1335, p. 207, p. 256, p. 526, p. 605.
- Fibres from plants, indigenous and introduced, eligible for industrial culture and experiment in Victoria, Melbourne, R. S. Brain, government printer, 1894. url .
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 873.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url .
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 432.
- Flora hongkongensis: a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. By George Bentham. Published under the authority of Her Majesty's secretary of state for the colonies. London, L. Reeve, 1861. url p. 34.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 143.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 676.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1949 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1949. url p. 384.
- Flora of Jamaica, containing descriptions of the flowering plants known from the island, by William Fawcett and Alfred Barton Rendle. London.Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1910- url p. 126, p. 126, p. 127, p. 127, p. 128.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 624.
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Flora of Miami; being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally on the Everglade Keys and in the adjacent Everglades, southern peninsular Florida. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 120.
- Flora of Peru: Sapindageae / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1956 Chicago, [Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 459.
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 42, p. 672.
- Flora of the Presidency of Madras / by J.S. Gamble. London: West, Newman and Adlard, 1915- url p. 92.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 773, p. 773.
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 609.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 442.
- Flora of tropical Africa. By Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. London, L. Reeve, 1868-1902. url p. 189.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 141, p. 255.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 358.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 10.
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 203, p. 275, p. 293.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1345.
- Griffith, W. Posthumous papers bequeathed to the honorable, the East India company, and printed by order of the government of Bengal.: Notulæ ad plantas asiaticas /by the late William Griffith; arranged by John M'Clelland. 4 1854 Calcutta: Bishop's college press, 1847-1854. url p. 522, p. 763.
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 81.
- Growing sea island cotton under Florida conditions. Report of Works Progress Administration. Tallahassee, State of Florida, Department of Agriculture[19 url p. 44.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 71.
- Hooker's journal of botany and Kew Garden miscellany. 7 1855 London: Reeve, Benham, and Reeve, 1849-1857. url p. 128, p. 312.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 483, p. 59.
- Hooker, W. J. et al. Niger flora;or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; including Spicilegia gorgonea, by P. B. Webb, esq., and Flora nigritiana, by Dr. J. D. Hooker. .. and George Bentham, esq. with a sketch of the life of Dr. Vogel. Ed. by Sir W. J. Hooker. .. With two views, a map, and fifty plates. 1849 London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.] 1849. url p. 226.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam: or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa / By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku: Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 97.
- Index of plants. 1912. Singapore, Printed at the Methodist Publishing House, 1912. url , .
- Industrial fiber plants of the Philippines; a description of the chief industrial fiber plants of the Philippines, their distribution, method of preparation, and uses, by Theodore Muller. Manila, Bureau of printing, 1913. url p. 205, p. 241.
- Insect life / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Division of Entomology. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, url p. 235, p. 44, p. 44.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url , p. 34, p. 95, p. 98.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 12 1901 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 259.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 19 1881 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 335, p. 358, p. 390.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 4 1842 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 119.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 539.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 8-9 1988-1989 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 22, p. 59.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 83.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 27 1926 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 110, p. 189, p. 302, p. 330.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 359, p. 360, p. 369.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 853.
- Manual of vegetable-garden insects, by Cyril Richard Crosby and Mortimer Demarest Leonard. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1918. url p. 253, p. 253.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 68.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 52.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 442, p. 681.
- Minor products of Philippine forests, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1920-1921. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 711, p. 711.
- Niger flora; or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; includ London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.]1849. url p. 226.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 7 1912-1913 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 223, p. 318, p. 408.
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 417, p. 532, p. 626.
- Observations on the Coccidae of Egypt, by W.J. Hall. .. Cairo, Government Press, 1922. url p. 27.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 278, p. 285, p. 330.
- Odorographia: a natural history of raw materials and drugs used in the perfume industry: intended to serve growers, manufacturers and consumers / by J. Ch. Sawer. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1892-1894. url p. 302, p. 304.
- Oliver, D. Flora of tropical Africa /by Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. 1 1868 London: L. Reeve and co., 1868-1999. url p. 189.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 1138.
- Pharmacographia Indica.by William Dymock, C.J.H. Warden, and David Hooper. 1890-1893 London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trubner & Co., 1893. url p. 79.
- Philippine fiber plants, / by William H. Brown. Manila: Bureau of Printing; 1919. url p. 103, p. 115, p. 12, p. 13, p. 8, p. 84, p. 85.
- Philosophical transactions. v. 1-177, 1665/66-1886. London [etc.] url p. 329.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 119, p. 192.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 463.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 384.
- Plantae Utowanae. Plants collected in Bermuda, Porto Rico, St. Thomas, Culebras, Santo Domingo, Jamaica, Cuba, The Caymans, Cozumel, Yucatan and the Alacran shoals. Dec. 1898-Mar. 1899. The Antillean cruise of the yach 2 1900 Chicago, 1900. url p. 73.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 373, p. 489, p. 531, p. 575, p. 660, p. 662.
- Plants of the Bahamas, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, by A.S. Hitchcock. .. Issued March 9, 1893. St. Louis, 1893 url p. 63.
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 77.
- Preliminary report on the forest and other vegetation of Pegu. CalcuttaC.B. Lewis, Baptist Mission Press1875 url p. 10, p. 39, p. 40, p. 43, p. 46, p. 49, p. 57.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 101.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , , p. 212, p. 240, p. 248, p. 747.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria. Melbourne: The Society, 1889- url p. 10, p. 406.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 7 1884 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 562.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 671.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 81.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. 2 1900 Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 73.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 501.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological meeting Calcutta;Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-24. url p. 851.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 112, p. 124, p. 33.
- Report. Chicago url p. 378.
- Report: . .. Washington, Blair & Rives, printers, 1838 url p. 127.
- Roxburgh, W. Flora indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants /by the late William Roxburgh. 3 1832 Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 182, p. 873.
- Royle, J. F. Illustrations of the botany and other branches of the natural history of the Himalayan Mountains: and of the flora of Cashmere /by J. Forbes Royle. 1 1839 London: Wm. H. Allen, 1839. url p. 84.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 2 1916 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 373, p. 489, p. 531, p. 575, p. 660, p. 662.
- Second systematic census of Australian plants, with chronologic, literary and geographic annotations; by Baron Ferdinand von Mueller. Pt. I. --Vasculares. Melbourne: Printed for the Victorian Government by McCarron. Bird & Co., 1889. url p. 25.
- Seemann, B. Flora vitiensis: a description of the plants of the Viti or Fiji islands, with an account of their history, uses, and properties /By Berthold Seemann;. .. plates by Walter Fitch. 1865 - 18 London: L. Reeve, 1865-73. url p. xxi.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 549, p. 621, p. 627, p. 629.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 345, p. 387, p. 392, p. 393.
- Sketch of the forestry of West Africa with particular reference to its present principal commercial products. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1887. url , .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 30.
- Species Blancoanae: a critical revision of the Philippine species of plants described by Blanco and by Llanos /by E.D. Merrill. 1918 Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1918. url p. 254.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2201.
- The American gardener's calendar; adapted to the climates and seasons of the United States. Containing a complete account of all the work necessary to be done. .. for every month in the year; with ample practical directions for performing the same. .. By Bernard M'Mahon. Philadelphia, Printed by B. Graves, no. 40, North Fourth-Street, for the author, 1806. url p. 636.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 112, p. 112, p. 112, p. 331, p. 331, p. 43.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 528.
- The Florida buggist: official organ of the Florida Entomological Society. [Gainesville, Fla.]: The Society, [1917-1920] url p. 90.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 373, p. 373.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 617.
- The Journal of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture. San Juan: [Board of Commissioners of Agriculture, 1917]. url p. 10.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 127, p. 539, p. 552.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 336, p. 53.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 24 1888 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 146, p. 169, p. 203, p. 23, p. 261, p. 271, p. 28, p. 286, p. 480, p. 494, p. 560, p. 561, p. 603, p. 61, p. 7, p. 717, p. 86.
- The Philippine journal of science. 9 1914 Manila. url p. 113, p. 114, p. 176, p. 179, p. 186, p. 196, p. 237, p. 26, p. 33, p. 420, p. 513, p. 563, p. 563, p. 571, p. 577, p. 579, p. 607, p. 608, p. 609, p. 640, p. 642, p. 654, p. 666, p. 684, p. 694, p. 77, p. 92, p. 94.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 127, p. 26.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 106, p. 284, p. 303, p. 306, p. 345, p. 708, p. 722, p. 838.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 52 1985 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 423.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 76.
- The birds of Jamaica / by Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, of Spanish-Town. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 114.
- The birds of Jamaica. By Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, esq., of Spanish-town. London, J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 114, p. 114.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 1236.
- The fibre bearing plants of Florida. Being a description of the Agave sisalana sansivieria, Bromelia sylvestris, pineapple, Urena lobata and ramie plants. Together with methods of propagation, cultivation and extraction of the fibres. By Charles W. Parsons. .. Pub. and issued by the Plant system. Savannah, The Morning News Print, 1895. url p. 40.
- The fibrous plants of India, fitted for cordage, clothing, and paper. With an account of the cultivation and preparation of flax, hemp, and their substitutes. London, Smith, Elder, and Co.;1855. url .
- The flora of Singapore. Singapore, 1900 url p. 51.
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 30.
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 68.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands. .. by I. Boldingh. Leyden, E. J. Brill, 1909-14. url p. 190, p. 65.
- The flora of the Malay Peninsula. By Henry N. Ridley, with illus. by J. Hutchinson. London, L. Reeve & co., ltd., 1922-25. url p. 256.
- The flora of the Nilgiri and Pulney Hill-tops / by P.F. Fyson; with 580 full page illustrations and 4 maps by Lady Bourne, Mrs. Fyson and others. Madras: Printed by the Supt., Govt. Press, 1915-1920. url p. 292.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url , p. 100.
- The forest officers' handbook of the Gold Coast, Ashanti and the Northern Terriotries. London [etc.]Printed by Waterlow & sons limited[1922?] url .
- The forest resources of the territories of Papua and New Guineareport by C.E. Lane-Poole. 1925 [Melbourne]:Printed and Pub. for the government of the commonwealth of Australia by H.J. Green, government printer for the State of Victoria,  url p. 112, p. 113, p. 209.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The forests and flora of British Honduras / by Paul C. Standley and Samuel J. Record; in cooperation with the Conservator of Forests and the Agricultural Officer of the Colony. 12 1936 Chicago: [Field Museum of Natural History], 1936. url p. 247.
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 356.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 43.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url , p. 112, p. 198, p. 303, p. 368, p. 372, p. 394, p. 709, p. 906.
- The natural history of plants. By H. Baillon. Tr. by Marcus M. Hartog. London, L. Reeve & co., 1871-88. url p. 114, p. 122.
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 114, p. 122.
- The natural history of the island of Fernando de Noronha based on the collections made by the British Museum Expedition in 1887. [London: Academic Press], 1890. url p. 12.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url p. 96.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3638, p. 52.
- The textile fibres of commerce. A handbook on the occurrence, distribution, preparation, and uses of the animal, vegetable, and mineral fibres used in cotton, woollen, paper, silk, brush, and hat manufactures. By William I. Hannan. London: C. Griffin, 1902. url p. 6.
- The useful native plants of Australia, (including Tasmania) by J. H. Maiden. Sydney, Turner and Henderson, 1889. url p. 205, p. 634, p. 695.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 393, p. 395.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 369, p. 830.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 369, p. 830.
- The work of the Forest Department in India. Ed. by R.S. Troup. .. Calcutta, Superintendent Government Printing, India, 1917. url p. 29.
- Timehri. Demerara: "Argosy" url p. 193.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 172, p. 172.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 475.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , , p. 296.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 6 1901-1905 London. url p. 273.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 14 1967 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url fig. 2, page 104.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 388, p. 438, p. 616, p. 641, p. 662, p. 687, p. 900, p. 988.
- Viti: an account of a government mission to the Vitian or Fijian Islands in the years 1860-61. By Berthold Seemann. . Cambridge, Macmillan & Co., 1862 url p. 433.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url , .
- West African forests and forestry / London: T.F. Unwin, ltd.,  url , .
- West African forests and forestry, by A. Harold Unwin. .. with 110 illustrations by the author. London, T. F. Unwin, ltd. url p. 190, p. 345, p. 526.
- Wight, R. & G. A. W. Arnott Prodromus Florae Peninsulae Indiae Orientalis: containing abridged descriptions of the plants found in the peninsula of British India, arranged according to the natural system: Vol. 1 /by Robert Wight and G.A. Walker-Arnott. 1834 London: Parbury, Allen & Co., 1834. url p. 46.
- Wissenschaftliche ergebnisse der Deutschen Zentral-Africa-Expedition, 1907-1908: unter Führung Adolf Friedrichs, herzogs zu Mecklenburg. Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1910- url p. 500, p. 717.
- Working plan for the Changa Manga Plantation. Lahore, 1917. url p. x.
- Yearbook of the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington: G.P.O., 1895-1923. url p. 606.
- Zambezia: a general description of the valley of the Zambezi River, from its delta to the River Aroangwa, with its history, agriculture, flora, fauna, and ethnography / London: J. Murray, 1910. url .
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 23.
- Feng Kuo-mei. 1984. Malvaceae. In: Feng Kuo-mei, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 49(2): 1-102.
- Feng Kuo-mei. 1984. Malvaceae. In: Feng Kuo-mei, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 49(2): 1-102.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2647735
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-21759
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490765
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:564786-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 40900
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 21759
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: URTR
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 67284
- Ya Tang, Michael G. Gilbert & Laurence J. Dorr "Malvaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 12 Page 240, 264,299, 302. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Urena". in Flora of China Vol. 12 Page 265, 280,286. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Urena lobata". in Flora of China Vol. 12 Page 281. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]