Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Chicory Sea Lettuce, An GlasΩn, Green Laver, Sea Lettuce
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Swedish:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 25 meters (82 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- A. Pascher, 1914
- Green Algae
- Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Class: Ulvophyceae () - K.R. Mattox & K.D. Stewart, in D.E.G. Irvine & D.M. John, 1984
- Infraphylum: Tetraphytae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Subphylum: Chlorophytina () - Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Chlorophyta () - A. Pascher, 1914 - Green Algae
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Ulva
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 17 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
U. fasciata (Papahapaha) · U. intestinalis var. suhrii (Swollen Laurenzia) · U. lactuca (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca bullosa (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca crispa (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca laciniata (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca macrogyna (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca mesenteriformis (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca myriotrema (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca pulvinata (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. lactuca rosulans (Chicory Sea Lettuce) · U. linza (Slender Sea Lettuce) · U. pertusa (Awosa) · U. rigida (Sea Lettuce) · U. rigida fimbriata (Sea Lettuce) · U. rigida laciniata (Sea Lettuce) · U. rigida tropica (Sea Lettuce)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 209.
- A catalogue of the British marine algae: being a list of all the species of seaweeds known to occur on the shores of the British Islands. .. / by E.A.L. Batters. [S.l.: s.n.], 1902 url p. 10, p. 12.
- A century of progress in the natural sciences, 1853-1953. San Francisco, 1955. url p. 199.
- A contribution to the history of the fresh-water algae of North America by Horatio C. Wood. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1872 url .
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 222.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 10.
- A history of British birds / by William Yarrell, V.P.L.S., F.Z.S. London: John van Voorst, 1871-1885. url p. 443.
- A history of British birds by William Yarrell; illustrated by 535 wood-engravings. London: J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 375.
- A history of British birds. London, J. Van Voorst, 1871-85. url p. 443.
- A history of the game birds, wild-fowl and shore birds of Massachusetts and adjacent states: including those used for food which have disappeared since the settlement of the country, and those which are now hunted for food or sport, with observations on their former abundance and recent decre Boston: Wright & Potter printing company, state printers, 1912. url p. 138, p. 138.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 429.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 446.
- A naturalist at the seashore, by William Crowder; illustrated by the author. New York, The Century co.[c1928] url , p. 236.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 98.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada: based on Nuttall's Manual / by Montague Chamberlain. Boston: Little, B., & Co., 1903. url p. 348.
- A report upon the mollusk fisheries of Massachusetts. Boston, Wright & Potter printing co., state printers, 1909. url .
- A report upon the scallop fishery of Massachusetts: including the habits, life history of Pecten irradians, its rate of growth, and other facts of economic value. Boston [Mass.]: Wright & Potter, 1910. url p. 71.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 578.
- A voyage to Hudson's Bay, during the summer of 1812. Containing a particular account of the icebergs and other phenomena which present themselves in those regions; also, a description of the Esquimeaux and North American India By Thomas M'Keevor. .. London: Printed for Sir R. Phillips and Co., 1819. url p. 93.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 423.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 187, p. 423.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 202.
- An Introduction to the chemistry of plant products / by Paul Haas, . .. and TG. Hill, . .. Vol. 2: Metabolic processes. London; Longman's, Green and co, 1929. url , p. 34.
- An ecological characterization of Coastal Maine (north and east of Cape Elizabeth) / Stewart I. Fefer and Patricia S. Schettig: principal investigators. Newton Corner, Mass.: Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Region, 1980. url , p. 78.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. Illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1825. url p. 1229.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url .
- An introduction to the chemistry of plant products by Paul Haas and T. G. Hill. London, Longmans, Green, 1928-1929. url p. 529.
- An introduction to the structure and reproduction of plants, by F. E. Fritch and E. J. Salisbury. London, G. Bell and sons ltd., 1920. url p. 215.
- An introduction to the study of Algae, by V. J. Chapman. New York, Macmillan;1941. url p. 359, p. 50.
- An introduction to the study of seaweeds, by George Murray. London, Macmillan, 1895. url , p. xii.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 155.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 8 1897 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 198.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 425.
- Annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory / Pomona College. Claremont, Calif.: Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912- url p. 197.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 40, p. 41, p. 63.
- Biodiversity research in the Laguna San Rafael National Park: programme review and forward planning WCMC url p. 10.
- Biological effects of radiation; mechanism and measurement of radiation, applications in biology, photochemical reactions, effects of radiant energy on organisms and organic products. Edited by Benjamin M. Duggar. With the cooperation of Janet Howell Clark, Kenneth S. Cole, Farrington Daniels [and others] New York andMcGraw-Hill Book Co., 1936. url p. 1048.
- Biology of the seas of the U.S.S.R. Translated by S. Botcharskaya. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 428.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 80.
- British conchology, or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas / by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London: John Van Voorst, 1862-1869. url p. 52.
- British conchology; or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas, by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London, J. Van Voorst, 1862-69. url p. 52.
- British fresh-water algae, exclusive of Desmidieae and Diatomaceae, by M. C. Cooke. London, Williams and Norgate, 1882-1884. url p. 128.
- British fresh-water algae. Exclusive of Desmidieae and Diatomaceae. London, Westermann, 1882-84. url .
- British sea-weeds: an introduction to the study of the marine algae of Great Britain, Ireland, and the Channel Islands / by Samuel Octavus Gray. London: L. Reeve & Co., 5 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, 1867 url p. 257.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 231, p. 702.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 129, p. 139, p. 143, p. 157, p. 178, p. 179, p. 186, p. 187, p. 213, p. 339, p. 463, p. 83.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 160, p. 214, p. 219, p. 341, p. 392, p. 393, p. 396, p. 398, p. 401, p. 403, p. 419, p. 421, p. 422, p. 424.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 102 1949 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 67, p. 70.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 107.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 6.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 51 1924 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 135, p. 19, p. 490.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 375.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 130.
- Chapters on the common things of the sea-coast. By Anne Pratt. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge, 1856. url p. 161.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 6 1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 147, p. 552.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 9 1969 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 142.
- Contributions to Canadian biology. Toronto, Biological Board of Canada. url .
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 117.
- Conversations on nature and art. Philadelphia: Lea & Blanchard, 1839. url p. 96.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url , p. 120, p. 126, p. 132, p. 336, p. 386, p. 540, p. 617, p. 711, p. 73, p. 954.
- Current bibliography for fisheries science. Rome, Biology Branch, Fisheries Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. url p. 13, p. 47.
- Dahlak: with the Italian National Underwater Expedition in the Red Sea, by Gianni Roghi and Francesco Baschieri. Translated from the Italian by Priscilla Hastings. Edited by Eleanor Brochett. With 11 full colour and 40 monochrome photos. Fair Lawn, N.J.Essential books1957 url p. 231.
- Der Natrufreund am Strande der Adria und des Mittelmeergebietes, von Prof. Dr. Carl I. Cori, . ... Leipzig, W. Klinkhardt, 1910. url p. 148, p. 41, p. 78.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance IUCN url p. 445.
- Ecological evaluation of a beach nourishment project at Hallandale (Broward County), Florida / prepared for U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: National Technical Information Service, Operations Division [distributor, 1980] url p. 21.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 8.
- Electrolytes in biological systems, incorporating papers presented at a symposium at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, on September 8, 1954. Washington, American Physiological Society, 1955. url p. 36, p. 40, p. 41, p. 42, p. 43, p. 64.
- Environmental assessment of the Alaskan Continental Shelf: Annual reports of principal investigators. [Boulder, Colo.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Office of Marine Pollution Assessment, url p. 21, p. 297.
- Enzyme and metabolic inhibitors. New York, Academic Press, 1963- url p. 1025, p. 187.
- Essays in the natural sciences in honor of Captain Allan Hancock, on occasion of his birthday, July 26, 1955. Los AngelesUniversity of Southern California Press url p. 283, p. 286, p. 287.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 7.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1004, p. 1006, p. 3, p. 324, p. 603, p. 828.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 116, p. 307, p. 324, p. 46.
- Features of various offshore structures / by Joseph Peraino. .. [et al.]. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1975. url p. 18.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 565.
- First annual report of the Laguna Marine Laboratory at Laguna Beach, Orange County, California. Claremont, Calif., Dept. of Biology, Pomona College, 1912. url p. 197.
- Fishery bulletin / U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service: url , p. 380, p. 381, p. 436, p. 45, p. 535, p. 537.
- Flora metropolitana; or, Botanical rambles within thirty miles of London, being the results of numerous excursions made in 1833, 34, 35. .. intended for the student in practical botany. .. London, S. Highley, 1836. url p. 105.
- Flora of Mount Desert Island, Maine: a preliminary catalogue of the plants growing on Mount Desert and the adjacent islands / by Edward L. Rand and John H. Redfield; with a geological introduction by William Morris Davis, and a new map of Mount Desert Island. Cambridge, Mass.: J. Wilson, 1894. url p. 246.
- Flora of southern and Lower California: a check-list of the flowering plants and ferns / by Charles Russell Orcutt. San Diego, Calif.: [s.n.], 1885. url p. 13.
- Fresh-water Algae of the United States; (exclusive of the Diatomaceae) complemental to Desmids of the United States. .. One hundred and fifty-one plates. .. including nine additional plates of desmids. By the Rev. Francis Wolle. .. Bethlehem, Pa., The Comenius Press, 1887. url p. 106.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 293, p. 298.
- Grammar and dictionary of the Yoruba language: with an introductory description of the country and people of Yoruba. / by the Rev. T.J. Bowen. [Washington]: Smithsonian Institution,  url p. 60.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 187, p. 423.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 187, p. 423.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1034, p. 276, p. 420.
- Injury, recovery, and death, in relation to conductivity and permeability / Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, c1922. url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 273.
- Introduction to plant geography and some related sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 31, p. 627, p. 636.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 15, p. 161, p. 53.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 162.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 513, p. 72.
- Madras fisheries bulletin / Madras Fisheries Department. Madras: Printed by the Superintendent, Government Press, url p. 54.
- Mammals of the Soviet Union / V.G. Heptner, A.A. Nasimovich, and A.G. Bannikov; scientific editor, Robert S. Hoffmann. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988- url p. 730.
- Marine Algae of Beaufort, N. C., and adjacent regions. By W. D. Hoyt. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1920. url p. 392, p. 393, p. 398, p. 401, p. 403, p. 419, p. 421, p. 422, p. 529.
- Marine algae of the Maritime provinces G.U. Hay. S.l.: s.n., 1887? url .
- Marine and estuarine environments, organisms, and geology of the Cape Cod region; an indexed bibliography, 1665-1965 [by] Anne E. Yentsch [and others. Woods Hole, Mass., Systematics Ecology Program, Marine Biological Laboratory[c1966] url p. 174, p. 19.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 32, p. 35.
- Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoölogy, at Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass. Cambridge [Mass.]: The Museum, 1876-1940. url p. 468, p. 468.
- Memoirs of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1886- url p. 350.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 9 1976 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url p. 101.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 15 1914 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 18, p. 19.
- Mineral salts absorption in plants. Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1962. url p. 103, p. 154, p. 178, p. 18, p. 190, p. 49, p. 60.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: annual report. .. Waterford, Conn.]: Northeast Utilities Service Company, url p. 10, p. 16, p. 9.
- Montana wetlands management study / prepared for Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation. Denver, Colo.: Bureau of Reclamation,  url p. 42.
- Nature and extent of fouling of ships' bottoms / by J. Paul Visscher. Washington, D.C.: for sale by the Supt. of Docs., 1928. url p. 199.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url .
- Notes of an east coast naturalist; a series of observations made at odd times during a period of twenty-five years in the neighborhood of Great Yarmouth. By Arthur H. Patterson. .. Illustrated in colour by F. Southgate. London, Methuen & co. url p. 191.
- Nutrition investigations on the carbohydrates of lichens, algae, and related substances, by Mary Davies Swartz. New Haven, Conn., Yale university press, 1911. url p. 255, p. 273, p. 276, p. 314.
- Oceanology: biology of the ocean. M.E. Vinogradov, editor in chief; Albert L. Peabody, translator. Woods Hole, Mass.: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Center, 1985. url p. 152.
- Oil spill sensitivity of the western Indian Ocean islands: coastal data from the Comoros Islands, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles WCMC url p. 36.
- On molecular and microscopic science by Mary Somerville. London: J. Murray, 1869 url p. 226, p. 315.
- On the popular names of British plants, being an explanation of the origin and meaning of the names of our indigenous and most commonly cultivated species. By R. C. A. Prior. London: Williams and Norgate, 1870. url p. 172.
- Organography of plants, especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta, by Dr. K. Goebel. .. authorized English ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-05. url p. 32.
- Outlines of plant life: with special reference to form and function / New York: Henry Holt and Company, c1900. url .
- Pflanzenphysiologie; Versuche und Beobachtungen an böheren und niederen Pflanzen einschliesslich Bakteriologie und Hydrobiologie mit Planktonkunde, von R. Kolkwitz. Zwiete, umgearbeitete Auflage. .. Jena, G. Fischer, 1922. url p. 199, p. 303.
- Photosynthesis / by H. A. Spoehr. New York: The Chemical catalog company, inc., 1926. url p. 157, p. 336.
- Photosynthesis and related processes, by Eugene I. Rabinowitch. .. New York, N.Y., Interscience Publishers, inc., 1945- url p. 1119, p. 1148, p. 1163, p. 1164, p. 1176, p. 1185, p. 1361, p. 1380, p. 1386, p. 1390, p. 1391, p. 1395, p. 1397, p. 1398, p. 1401, p. 1402, p. 1891, p. 413, p. 689, p. 700.
- Phycologia Britannica, or, A history of British sea-weeds: containing coloured figures, generic and specific characters, synonymes, and descriptions of all the species of algae inhabiting the shores of the British Islands / by William Henry Harvey. London: Reeve Brothers, 1846-1851. url , , p. 168.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 10, p. 293, p. 76.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 147.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 147.
- Plant life, by J. Bretland Farmer. New York, H. Holt and company; [etc., etc., 1913] url , , p. 36.
- Plant life, considered with special reference to form and function, by Charles Reid Barnes. .. New York, H. Holt & company, 1898. url p. 26, p. 26.
- Plant morphology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1953. url p. 42.
- Plant physiology, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1918] url .
- Plant physiology, by Vladimir I. Palladin. Authorized English ed. based on the German translation of the 6th Russian ed. and on the 7th Russian ed. (1914) Edited by Burton Edward Livingston. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1923] url p. 38.
- Plant-life on land considered in some of its biological aspects / by F. O. Bower. Cambridge, [Eng.]: University Press,  url p. 17, p. 17, p. 172, p. 172.
- Plant-life, by Charles A. Hall, with 74 full-page illus., 24 being from photos. by the author and 50 in colour from drawings by C. F. Newall. London, A. & C. Black, 1915. url , .
- Plant-life, by Charles A. Hall. .. with 74 full-page illustrations, 24 being from photographs by the author and 50 in colour from drawings by C. F. Newall. London: A. & C. Black, ltd., 1915. url p. 379, p. 73.
- Plant-life, with 74 full-page illus., 24 being from photos, by the author and 50 in colour from drawings London, A. & C. Black, 1915. url .
- Postelsia: the year book of the Minnesota Seaside Station. St. Paul, Minn.: Pioneer Press, 1902-1906. url , p. 4.
- Proceedings - California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 717.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 695, p. 696, p. 696, p. 972, p. 972.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 332, p. 717.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , , , p. 104, p. 112, p. 165, p. 60, p. 91.
- Proceedings of the National Shellfisheries Association. Plymouth, Mass., Published for the National Shellfisheries Association by MPG Communications. url p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 34, p. 35, p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 46.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 423, p. 423.
- Proceedings of the eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association: held at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 16th to 28th November 1953 / under the auspices of the National Research Council of the Philippines and the Republic of the Philippines. Quezon City: National Research Council of the Philippines, University of the Philippines, 1955. url p. 247, p. 250.
- Publications - Puget Sound Biological Station. [Seattle?]Puget Sound Biological Station, University of Washington. url p. 11, p. 19, p. 201, p. 202, p. 210, p. 22, p. 236, p. 343, p. 67, p. 68, p. 70, p. 73, p. 74, p. 75, p. 80.
- Publications in botany / Ottawa: The Museum, 1969- url p. 11, p. 23.
- Puget Sound Marine Station publications. Seattle?: Puget Sound Marine Station, University of Washington?, 1915-1917 url p. 11, p. 19, p. 201, p. 202, p. 210, p. 22, p. 236, p. 343, p. 347, p. 67, p. 68, p. 70, p. 73, p. 74, p. 75, p. 80.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , p. 11, p. 11, p. 384, p. 384, p. 89.
- Report of the Commissioner of Patents for the year 1859: agriculture. Washington, D.C.: George Bowman, printer, 1860. url p. 312.
- Report of the scientific results of the voyage of S.Y. "Scotia" during the years 1902, 1903, and 1904, under the leadership of William S. Bruce. .. Edinburgh: The Scottish oceanographical laboratory, 1907- url .
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of S.Y. "Scotia" during the years 1902, 1903 and 1904, under the leadership of William S. Bruce. Edinburgh:Scottish Oceanographical Laboratory, 1907-20. url p. 74.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 23, p. 7.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 261.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 20, p. 3.
- Sea mosses, a collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae. By A. B. Hervey. 1893 Boston, B. Whidden, 1893. url p. 54.
- Sea mosses. A collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae. Boston, S. E. Cassino, 1882. url .
- Sea mosses: a collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae / Boston: S.E. Cassino, c1881. url p. 54.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , p. 246, p. 60.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 133 1957 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 398.
- Some recent researches in plant physiology. By W. R. G. Atkins. London, Whittaker & co., 1916. url p. 107.
- South African journal of natural history. Pretoria, South African Biological Society. url p. 53.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 2, p. 2.
- Standard values in nutrition and metabolism, being the second fascicle of a handbook of biological data. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on the Handbok of Biological Data, American Institute of Biological Sciences, National Research Council. Philadelphia, Saunders url p. 239, p. 379.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 402, p. 75, p. 795.
- Survey of oceanographic and meteorological parameters of importance to the site selection of an Ocean Food and Energy Farm (OFEF) in the eastern Pacific: final report, July 1975-September 1976: prepared for U.S. Energy Research & Development Administration / P.F. Seligman. San Diego, Calif.: Naval Ocean Systems Center, 1977. url p. 262, p. 7.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 336, p. 856.
- The American journal of science. 3 1847 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 402.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 93.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 142, p. 142, p. 156, p. 156, p. 156, p. 234, p. 28, p. 28, p. 28, p. 413, p. 526, p. 528, p. 528.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 370, p. 439.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url , , , , , p. 103, p. 104, p. 107, p. 108, p. 110, p. 111, p. 113, p. 151, p. 152, p. 170, p. 174, p. 175, p. 203, p. 211, p. 249, p. 250, p. 251, p. 252, p. 252, p. 253, p. 260, p. 276, p. 277, p. 278, p. 29, p. 294, p. 296, p. 308, p. 321, p. 323, p. 331, p. 344, p. 358, p. 366, p. 369, p. 374, p. 380, p. 383, p. 384, p. 39, p. 41, p. 466, p. 487, p. 494, p. 495, p. 499, p. 499, p. 502, p. 503, p. 504, p. 506, p. 507, p. 55, p. 56, p. 59, p. 648, p. 65, p. 65, p. 77.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 42 1928 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 100, p. 301, p. 392, p. 393, p. 394, p. 639, p. 756.
- The Channel Islands of California: a book for the angler, sportsman, and tourist / by Charles Frederick Holder. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1910. url p. 312, p. 396.
- The Composition of sea-water: comparative and descriptive oceanography / General editor, M.N. Hill. New York: Interscience Pub., 1963. url p. 197, p. 215, p. 216, p. 553.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1851 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 103.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 108.
- The Journal of general physiology. New York, N.Y.Rockefeller Institute, url p. 534.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 43 1915-17 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 160.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 46, p. 49, p. 51.
- The Scientific proceedings of the Royal Dublin Society. Dublin: The Society, 1877- url p. 297.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 106.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 69.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 84.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 27.
- The algae of the Arctic Sea, a survey of the species, together with an exposition of the general characters and the development of the flora. Stockholm, Norstedt, 1883. url , .
- The algae. London, Macmillan;1962. url p. 413.
- The biology of the sea-shore, by F.W. Flattely. .. and C.L. Walton. .. with an introduction by J. Arthur Thomson. .. New York, The Macmillan Company url p. 299, p. 306, p. 307.
- The birds of Essex County, Massachusetts. By Charles Wendell Townsend, M.D. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, 1905. url p. 350.
- The botany of Iceland, edited by L. Kolderup Rosenvinge and Eug. Warming. Copenhagen, J. Frimodt, 1912- url p. 178, p. 61, p. 84.
- The culturing of algae; a symposium. Papers presented at the annual meeting of the Phycological Society of America, New York City, N. Y., December 26-31, 1949. Edited by Jules Brunel, G. W. Prescott, and L. H. Tiffany. [Yellow Springs, Ohio]Charles F. Kettering Foundation, 1950. url p. 106, p. 109, p. 113.
- The essentials of botany. New York, Holt[c1884] url .
- The essentials of botany. New York: Holt[c1896] url .
- The glacial gravels of Maine and their associated deposits / by George H. Stone. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1899. url p. 374.
- The metabolism of algae. London, Methuen; url p. 32, p. 50.
- The microscopist: a compendium of microscopic science including the use of the microscope, mounting and preserving microscopic objects, the microscope in chemistry, biology, histology, botany, geology, pathology, etc. by J.H. Wythe. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston, Son & Co., 1883, c1880. url p. 393.
- The microscopist: a manual of microscopy and compendium of the microscopic sciences. .. Philadelphia: Lindsay & Blakiston, 1880. url p. 393.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 236, p. 68.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 210, p. 236, p. 68.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 105.
- The pictorial museum of animated nature. .. London: C. Cox, [1844?] url p. 50.
- The sea against hunger [by] C. P. Idyll. New York, Crowell url p. 54.
- The sea shore, by W.S. Furneaux. .. With eight plates in colour and over three hundred illustrations in the text. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1922. url , p. 354.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url , p. 490.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. New York, The Century co., 1901. url , , .
- The seas: our knowledge of life in the sea and how it is gained / by F.S. Russell. .. and C.M. Yonge. .. With 384 illustrations, 167 of which are in full colour. London; F. Warne & Co. Ltd.,  url p. 31.
- The seas; our knowledge of life in the sea and how it is gained, by F.S. Russell. .. and C.M. Yonge. .. With 384 illustrations, 167 of which are in full colour. London, F. Warne & co. ltd.[c1928] url p. 31.
- The subantarctic islands of New Zealand. Reports on the geo-physics, geology, zoology, and botany of the islands lying to the south of New Zealand, based mainly on observatiohs and collections made during an expedition in the government stea Ed. by Chas. Chilton. Pub. by the Philosophical institute of Canterbury. Wellington, N.Z., Printed by J. Mackay, govt. printer, 1909. url p. 493, p. 494.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 18.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 18.
- The wonder of life, London, A. Melrose, Ltd. url , .
- The wonder of life, by Arthur Thomson. London, A Melrose, ltd.1914. url p. 56.
- The wonder of life, by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Henry Holt & co.,  url p. 56.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 153, p. 235, p. 267.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 77.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 277, p. 299.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 255, p. 255, p. 273, p. 273, p. 276, p. 313, p. 314, p. 314.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , p. 63.
- Tropical marine algae of the Arthur Schott herbarium, by William Randolph Taylor. 20 1941 Chicago, 1941 url p. 90.
- University of Toronto studies. Physiological series. no. 1-98. 1900-28. [Toronto]University Library: Published by the Librarian url p. 320.
- Wild life on Norfolk estuary: with a prefatory note by her grace the Duchess of Bedford. London: Methuen, 1907. url p. 266.
- World directory of hydrobiological and fisheries institutions. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, 1963. url p. 27.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Abteilung für Anatomie und Ontogenie der Tiere Jena [Germany]:G. Fischer, c -1993. url p. 505.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 372.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 220.
- [Report of a voyage made to the Canadian Labrador coast; Catalogue of plants and birds of the north shore] [D. N. Saint-Cyr]. Québec?: s.n., 1887? url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal May 14, 2008:
- Australian National Herbarium (CANB)
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum: Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologische Anstalt Helgoland in the Foundation Alfred-Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research: AWI-Herbarium Marine Macroalgae
- GBIF-Sweden: Herbarium of Oskarshamn (OHN)
- Icelandic Institute of Natural History: Herbarium (AMNH)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: A Biological Survey of the Waters of Woods Hole and Vacinity
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: AIMS - Bioresources Library (OBIS Australia)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: BioMar
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bolus Herbarium Algal Specimen Database (AfrOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: South Western Pacific Regional OBIS Data All Sea Bio Subset (South Western P acific OBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- National Chemical Laboratory: Biological Collection, National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India
- National Chemical Laboratory: IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- National Herbarium of New South Wales: NSW herbarium collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility: Botanical Museum, Copenhagen, the Phycology Herbarium
- The New York Botanical Garden: Bronx River Bioblitz
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Marine Conservation Society - Seasearch Marine Surveys
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3870117
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Alg-39
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5213960
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 194213