Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Spanish Moss, Black-Moss, Long-Moss, Spanish-Moss
Common Names in French:
Barbe Grise, Fille De L´air, Mousse, Mousse Espagnole
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Barba-De-Velho, Camambaya, Samambaia
Common Names in Spanish:
Herbs or rarely shrubs
, epiphytic, lithophytic, or terrestrial
. Leaves spirally arranged
, usually rosulate, sessile, simple
, veins parallel, base
serrate or sometimes entire. Inflorescence terminal
or sessile, a panicle, raceme
, spike, or head
, sometimes reduced to solitary, pseudolateral flowers; bracts usually brightly colored
. Flowers bisexual
or sometimes functionally unisexual
, 3-merous. Sepals and petals each 3, distinct
or basally connate
; petals often brightly colored, basal margin with a pair of scalelike appendages
. Stamens 6, in 2 whorls of 3; filaments
free, connate, or collectively or individually adnate
to petals; anthers
2-celled, dehiscing by longitudinal
slits. Gynoecium of 3 carpels united
to form a compound
, 3-loculed, superior or very often partly or wholly inferior ovary
; ovules few to usually Â± numerous
in each locule; placentation axile
. Style terminal and often 3-parted; stigmas papillose
. Fruit a berry or less often a septicidal
capsule, or seldom compound and fleshy
. Seeds usually winged
; endosperm mealy
; embryo small to fairly large.
About 50 genera and 2000--2600 species: mainly tropical America, except for Pitcairnia feliciana (A. Chevalier) Harms & Mildbraed in tropical W Africa; one species (introduced ) in China.
Herbs, usually epiphytic, stemless to long caulescent
. Leaves mostly many-ranked, rosulate, or occasionally 2-ranked and / or laxly arranged; blade
to triangular or ligulate
. Inflorescences central, 1--many-flowered, 2-ranked; floral
bracts mostly broad, conspicuous, rachis covered or exposed at anthesis
. Flowers bisexual
; sepals distinct
, usually symmetric
; petals distinct; stamens included
or exserted, filaments
; ovary superior. Capsules cylindric
. Seeds with basal, white, plumose
Species ca. 550 (13 species and 2 described natural hybrids in the flora ) : widespread in the Neotropics.
Species Tillandsia usneoides
Plants pendent in long festoons, flowering to 300 cm. Stems elongate . Leaves 4--8, 2-ranked, often twisted or contorted, gray to silver-gray, 1.5--3 ´ 0.1--0.2 cm, densely grayish-scaly; sheath pale , narrowly elliptic , not inflated , not forming pseudobulb , 0.2--0.4 cm wide; blade filiform , succulent, margins involute to nearly tubular , apex acute. Inflorescences: scape concealed within leaf sheath, appearing scapeless, pendent with shoot , ± 1 mm diam. Floral bracts enveloping flower, erect , green, broad (covering all or most of rachis, rachis not visible at anthesis ), ovate , not keeled , 0.4--0.5 cm, thin-leathery, apex acute, surfaces densely grayish-scaly, venation even to slight. Flowers 1, inconspicuous, apparently sessile; sepals free , ovate, not keeled, 0.6--0.7 cm, thin, veined, apex acute, surfaces glabrous ; corolla spreading , petals spreading, yellow-green, elliptic, to 1 cm; stamens included ; stigma included, simple-erect. Fruits to 2.5 cm. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: May, June, July. • Flower Color: chartreuseyellow-green, inconspicuous, none
Size: 8-10' tall.
Epiphytic, occasionally on fences, telephone lines ; 0--300 m (Ref. 87274).
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Culture: Space 3-6" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1992
- Order: Poales () - Small, 1903
- Superorder: Bromelianae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Dendropogon usneoides (Linnaeus) Rafinesque • Renealmia usneoides Linnaeus • Strepsia usneoides (L.) Nutt. Ex Steud.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 21-Jun-2005
Members of the genus Tillandsia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 59 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
T. aeranthos (Air Plant) · T. albertiana x stricta (Air Plant) · T. araujei (Air Plant) · T. ariza-juliae (Dominican Airplant) · T. baileyi (Reflexed Airplant) · T. balbisiana (Balbis Air Plant) · T. bartramii (Bartram's Airplant) · T. bergeri (Air Plant) · T. brachycaulos (Airplant) · T. brachycaulos x caput-medusae (Medusa´s Head) · T. brachycaulos x schiedeana (Giant Air Plant) · T. bulbosa (Air Plant) · T. bulbosa 'Giant Belize Form' (Air Plant) · T. cacticola (Tillandsia) · T. cyanea 'Josée' (Pink Quill 'jos) · T. cyanea 'Pink Quill' (Air Plant) · T. dyeriana (Tillandsia) · T. fasciculata (Cardinal Air Plant) · T. fasciculata Sw. var. clavispica Mez (Giant Airplant) · T. fasciculata var. clavispica (Giant Airplant) · T. fasciculata var. densispica (Giant Airplant) · T. fasciculata var. fasciculata (Giant Airplant) · T. fasciculata var. venosispica (Giant Airplant) · T. festucoides (Fescue Airplant) · T. flexuosa (Banded Wild-Pine) · T. floridana (Florida Airplant) · T. fuchsii var. gracilis (Air Plant) · T. funebris (Air Plant) · T. funkiana (Air Plant) · T. insularis (Spanish Moss) · T. ionantha (Blushing Bride) · T. ionantha 'Druid' (Air Plant) · T. ionantha 'Peach' (Air Plant) · T. leonamiana (Air Plant) · T. lindenii (Linden's Airplant) · T. lineatispica (Pinon) · T. lingulata (Droophead Tufted Airplant) · T. neglecta (Air Plant) · T. nidus 'T. Ionantha X T. Fascicula' (Air Plant) · T. nitida (Caribbean Strap Airplant) · T. paucifolia (Potbelly Airplant) · T. plumosa (Air Plant) · T. pruinosa (Fuzzy Wuzzy Air Plant) · T. recurvata (Ball Moss) · T. ringens (Pirigallo) · T. sessiliflora (Sessileleaf Strap Airplant) · T. setacea (Needle-Leaf Airplant) · T. smalliana (Small's Airplant) · T. stricta (Air Plant) · T. stricta 'Hard Leaf' (Tillandsia) · T. tenuifolia (Air Plant) · T. tricholepis (Air Moss) · T. tricholepsis (Air Plant) · T. usneoides (Spanish Moss) · T. utriculata (Giant Air Plant) · T. variabilis (Leatherleaf Airplant) · T. x (Florida Airplant) · T. xerographica (Tillandsia) · T. x rectifolia (Tillandsia)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... The lichen flora of the Santa Cruz Peninsula, California. By Albert W. C. T. Herre. Baltimore, Md., Washington academy of sciences url .
- A biological study of Polypodium polypodioides (resurrection fern) as an air plant in Mississippi... Baltimore, Md., 1923. url p. 20.
- A catalogue of plants, growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Troy. / By John Wright, M.D., and James Hall, A.M. Troy: N. Tuttle, printer--Sign of the Lever Printing Press, 1836. url p. 32, p. 5.
- A college text-book of Botany, being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary Botany." New York, Holt, 1905. url p. 703.
- A college text-book of botany: being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany, " / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: Henry Holt and Company1905. url p. 703.
- A college text-book of botany; being an enlargement of the author's "Elementary botany." New York: Holt, 1908 [c1905] url p. 703.
- A contribution to the botany of the Isle of Pines, Cuba, based upon the specimens of plants from that island contained in the herbarium of the Carnegie Museum under date of October, 1916. By O.E. Jennings. n.p., 1917 url p. 90, p. 92.
- A contribution to the flora of Honduras, by T. G. Yuncker. 17 1938 Chicago, 1938. url p. 321.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 314.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 256, p. 88, p. 89.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 95.
- A general history of birds by John Latham. Winchester [England]: Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author, 1822. url .
- A general history of birds. Winchester [Eng.]Printed by Jacob and Johnson, for the author;1821-28. url p. 92.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical. In two parts. Part I. Outlines of organography, anatomy, and physiology. Part II. Descriptions and illustrations of the orders. By Emm. Le Maout [and] J. Decaisne. With 5500 figures by L. Steinheil a London, Longmans, Green & Co.1873. url .
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url p. 505.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 697.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 524.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, functions, classification, properties and uses of plants. London, John Churchill, 1861. url p. 675.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 416.
- A manual of the ornithology of the United States and of Canada. By Thomas Nuttall. .. Cambridge, Hilliard and Brown, 1832-1834. url p. 158.
- A naturalist's sojourn in Jamaica / by Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill. London: Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1851. url p. 273, p. 43.
- A nature wooing at Ormond by the sea, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis: The Nature publishing company, 1902. url p. 20.
- A practical course in botany, with especial reference to its bearings on agriculture, economics, and sanitation, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1911] url .
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W.G. Farlow and A.B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url .
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 22.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , .
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 50.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 197, p. 49.
- A textbook of botany for colleges / by William F. Ganong. New York: Macmillan, 1927. url p. 577.
- A textbook of botany for colleges and universities. .. Cincinnati [etc]American book company[1910-11] url , , .
- A textbook of botany for colleges. New York, Macmillan, 1920. url p. 577.
- A thousand-mile walk to the Gulf / Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1916. url , .
- A thousand-mile walk to the Gulf, Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin company, 1916. url , , , p. 68, p. 68.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 503, p. 577.
- A voyage of discovery, into the South Sea and Beering's straits, for the purpose of exploring a north-east passage, undertaken in the years 1815-1818, at the expense of His Highness. .. Count Romanzoff, in the ship Rurick, London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1821. url p. 6.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 44.
- Agricultural botany: Philadelphia, J. W. Moore;1847. url p. 192.
- American ornithology: or, The natural history of the birds of the United States / Philadelphia: Porter and Coates, [187-?] url .
- American ornithology; or, The natural history of the birds of the United States... By ALexander Wilson. With a sketch of the author's life, by George Ord, F. L. S. & c.. .. New York: Collins & Co., 1818-1829. url p. l
- An elementary course of botany: structural, physiological, and systematic / by Arthur Henfrey. London: John Van Voorst, 1878. url p. 382.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 483, p. 552, p. 92.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1519.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia, and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: C. Scribner's sons, 1913. url p. 456.
- An index to the scientific contents of the Journal and Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia [1817-1910] Published in commemoration of the centenary of the academy, March 21, PhiladelphiaAcademy of Natural Sciences url p. 124.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 134.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 121.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 90, p. 92.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 329, p. 330.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 130, p. 132.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 266, p. 674.
- Annotated list of the Avery bird collection in the Alabama museum of natural history (Geological survey museum) University, Ala., 1921. url .
- Annual report / Entomological Society of Ontario. Toronto, The Society. url p. 27.
- Annual report / Florida State Geological Survey. Tallahassee, Fla.: Capital Pub. Co., state printer, url p. 100, p. 133, p. 139, p. 140, p. 148, p. 198, p. 207, p. 214, p. 220, p. 236, p. 251, p. 262, p. 274, p. 293, p. 299, p. 307, p. 312, p. 317, p. 333, p. 341, p. 428, p. 94.
- Annual report of the Board of Control of the State Agricultural Experiment Station at Amherst, Mass. [S.l.: s.n.], -1895 url p. 145.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 351, p. 352, p. 356, p. 654, p. 791, p. 791.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 480.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 480, p. 480.
- Ardea. Amsterdam, etc., Nederlandse Ornithlogische Unie, etc. url p. 57.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1986-1992 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 36.
- Biltmore lectures on sylviculture / by C. A. Schenck. Albany, N.Y.: Brandow Printing Co., 1907. url p. 126, p. 158.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 158.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url , , .
- Birds and nature. Chicago, Ill.: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1900-1907. url p. 139.
- Birds of North Carolina, by T. Gilbert Pearson, C. S. Brimley and H. H. Brimley. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing co., state printers, 1919. url p. 281, p. 47.
- Birds of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url .
- Birds of South Carolina, by Arthur Trezevant Wayne. With an introduction by the editor. Charleston, S.C., [The Daggett Printing Co.]1910. url p. 103.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url .
- Birds' nests; an introduction to the science of caliology, London, F. A. Stokes company, 1902. url , .
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 28 1980-1982 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 90.
- Botanical guide through the Phipps conservatories in Pittsburg and Allegheny. Pittsburg, Pa.[Printed by Foster, Dick & co., 1894] url p. 67.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url , p. 88.
- Botany for high schhools / by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt, 1912. url p. 431, p. 543.
- Botany for high schools, by George Francis Atkinson. New York: H. Holt and Company, 1910. url p. 401.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 121.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 27 1938 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 110, p. 8, p. 83.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 140, p. 140, p. 268, p. 299, p. 349, p. 351, p. 46, p. 69.
- Bulletin / Chicago Natural History Museum. [Chicago, Ill.]: The Museum, [1944-1966] url p. 7.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 258, p. 933.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 101, p. 30, p. 5.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. 1895-1897 Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 43.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 4 1900 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 388.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 154 1996 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 244.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 3 1903-1905 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 441.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 37 1910 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 115, p. 135, p. 177, p. 211, p. 212, p. 214, p. 224, p. 225, p. 226, p. 229, p. 231, p. 234, p. 297, p. 306, p. 309, p. 315, p. 364, p. 375, p. 409, p. 410, p. 411, p. 416, p. 419, p. 43, p. 465, p. 512, p. 516, p. 518, p. 52, p. 527, p. 55, p. 560, p. 578, p. 629, p. 632, p. 656, p. 690.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url .
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 23 1935 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 130, p. 156.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 121, p. 123, p. 13, p. 169, p. 218.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , .
- Cassell's natural history / by F. Martin Duncan. London; Cassell and Co., 1913. url p. 329.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 688, p. 853.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 688, p. 853.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 319.
- Chapters in modern botany, by Patrick Geddes. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 98.
- Chapters in modern botany. New York, Scribner, 1893. url p. 100, p. 98.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 62.
- College botany, structure, physiology and economics of plants. Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1920. url p. 325.
- College botany; structure, physiology and economics of plants, London, J. B. Lippincott Company[c1920] url .
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 64, p. 656.
- Complete works. U.C. Berkeley, Statistical Lab, 1910-31. url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 27 1928 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 107, p. 143, p. 217, p. 225, p. 226, p. 271, p. 313, p. 315, p. 382, p. 402, p. 411, p. 421, p. 426, p. 429, p. 449, p. 50, p. 520, p. VII, p. VIII.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 11 1973 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 117, p. 18, p. 65, p. 90.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 214.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 103 1877 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1810, p. 1811, p. 1904.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 697.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 697.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 35.
- Diseases of deciduous forest trees / by Hermann von Schrenk and Perley Spaulding. Washington: G.P.O., 1909. url p. 17.
- Economic botany of Alabama. University, Ala., 1913-1928. url p. 78.
- Elementary botany. New York, Holt, 1898. url p. 493.
- Elementary botany. New York: H. Holt, [c1905] url .
- Elements of botany: or, Outlines of the natural history of vegetables / by Benjamin Smith Barton. Philadelphia: Robert Desilver, 1827. url p. 305.
- Evolution by atrophy in biology and sociology / by Jean Demoor, Jean Massart, Emile Vandervelde; translated by Mrs. Chalmers Mitchell. London: K. Paul, 1899. url .
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url p. 695.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 579.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 167, p. 226.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 146, p. 284.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 31.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1869. url p. 329.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 324.
- First lessons in botany and vegetable physiology: to which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison & Phinney, 1857. url p. 34.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 65.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 65.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 160.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url , p. 77.
- Flora of Guatemala / Johnnie L. Gentry, Paul C. Standley. 24 1974 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1974. url p. 127.
- Flora of Guatemala / by Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1958 Chicago: Chicago Museum of Natural History, 1958. url fig. 118, page 468, p. ix.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 543.
- Flora of Peru... by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, 1936- url p. 46, p. 49, p. 50, p. 61, p. 78.
- Flora of Yucatan, by Paul C. Standley. 3 1930 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 222.
- Flora of the Aguan valley and the coastal regions near La Ceiba, Honduras, by T. G. Yuncker. 9 1940 [Chicago]1940. url p. 267.
- Flora of the Lancetilla Valley, Honduras, by Paul C. Standley. 10 1931 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1931. url p. 128, p. 129.
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 29.
- Forest conditions of Mississippi. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 151, p. 155, p. 157.
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url , , .
- Forest protection; guide to lectures delivered at the Biltmore Forest School, Asheville, N.C., The Inland Press, 1909. url p. 126, p. 158.
- Friends worth knowing: glimpses of American natural history / by Ernest Ingersoll. New York [N.Y.]: Harper & Brothers, 1881. url p. 231.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 81.
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 36.
- Gray's Botanical text-book. New York: American Book Company, c1879. url p. 36, p. 37.
- Gray's Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology: illustrated by over 360 wood engravings from original drawings by Isaac Sprague: to which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., 1877, c1868. url p. 34, p. 515.
- Gray's School and field book of botany: consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany" bound in one volume. New York: American Book Company, [between 1895 and 1900]. url p. 36, p. 414.
- Gray's new manual of botany (7th ed.--illustrated) A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1908] url p. 265.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 265, p. 265.
- Gray's new manual of botany: a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada / Asa Gray; rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New York: American Book Company, c1908. url p. 265.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 36.
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 598, p. 786.
- Hand-list of tender momocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. London, Printed for H. M. S. O., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1897. url p. 75.
- Hand-list of tender monocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. 1897. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode1897 url p. 75.
- Handbook of plants. New York: P. Henderson, 1881. url p. 298.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 57.
- Hibernation of the Mexican cotton boll weevil. By W. E. Hinds and W. W. Yothers. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1909. url p. 30.
- Home life in Florida. By Helen Harcourt [pseud.] Louisville, Ky., J.P. Morton & company, 1889. url p. 50.
- Home studies in nature, New York, Harper & Brothers, 1885. url .
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 311, p. 482.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 334, p. 335.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 360.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 155, p. 631.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 80.
- Introduction to botany / by William Chase Stevens. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co., 1902. url p. 341, p. 341.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, D. C. Heath & Co., 1902. url .
- Introduction to plant geography and some related sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 352, p. 634.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 170.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 105.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 4 1866 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 265.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 1 1834 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 59.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 338, p. 398, p. 400, p. 401, p. 403, p. 404, p. 405, p. 406, p. 407, p. 578.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 14 1994 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 40.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 124.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 1933 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 165, p. 186, p. 188, p. 207, p. 61, p. 65, p. 7.
- Journal of the New-York Microscopical Society. New York: The Society, 1885- url p. 96.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and lower California By Elliot Coues. Boston, D. Estes and Company, 1903. url p. 330.
- La biologie des plantes. .. Gene?ve [etc.]E?dition Atar[1917- url , , .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url .
- Lectures on plant physiology / by Ludwig Jost; authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 34.
- Lectures on plant physiology / translated by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 34.
- Lectures on plant physiology. Authorized English translation by R.J. Harvey Gibson. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1907. url p. 34.
- Lectures on the evolution of plants, London, The Macmillan company, 1910 url , .
- Lectures, essays and published articles on scientific and literary subjects and on foreign travel / by C. C. Merriman. Rochester, N.Y.: J. J. Withall, 1885. url p. 133.
- Life histories of North American birds, from the parrots to the grackles, with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs, Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1895. url , .
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 104.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 156, p. 28, p. 294, p. 32, p. 37, p. 37, p. 456, p. 5, p. 72.
- Mammalia, by Frank Evers Beddard. .. London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1902. url p. 171.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / by Asa Gray; assisted by specialists in certain groups; with twenty-five plates, illustrating the sedges, grasses, ferns, etc. New York: American Book Company; c1889. url p. 511.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada, by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, H. Holt and Co., 1901. url p. 239.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 165.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 35.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 207.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 104, p. 267.
- Memorials of John Bartram and Humphry Marshall; with notices of their botanical contemporaries. By William Darlington. .. Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1849. url p. 311.
- Microbial antagonisms and antibiotic substances. New York, Commonwealth Fund, 1947. url p. 390.
- Mind in the lower animals in health and disease, by W. Lauder Lindsay. London: C. K. Paul, 1879. url p. 367.
- Mind in the lower animals, in health and disease, by W. Lauder Lindsay. .. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1880. url p. 367.
- Museum paper / Alabama Museum of Natural History. University, Ala.: Alabama Museum of Natural History, 1910-1960. url p. 113.
- Museum paper. University, Ala. [etc.]1910- url p. 118.
- Names and portraits of birds which interest gunners, with descriptions in languages understanded of the people; New York, Harper,  url .
- Natural area inventory of Hyde County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 202.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 101, p. 115, p. 128, p. 155, p. 18, p. 36, p. 55, p. 58, p. 87.
- Natural area inventory of Washington County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 113, p. 165, p. 89.
- Natural areas inventory of Carteret County, North Carolina: for the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / [Raleigh]: N.C. Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, . url p. 141, p. 142, p. 235.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 148, p. 200.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 181, p. 182, p. 183.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 181, p. 182, p. 183.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 418, p. 418, p. 456, p. 456.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 265.
- Notes of a botanist on the Amazon & Andes: being records of travel on the Amazon and its tributaries, the Trombetas, Rio Negro, Uaupés, Casiquiari, Pacimoni, Huallaga, and Pastasa; as also to the cataracts of the Orinoco, along the eastern sid by Richard Spruce; edited and condensed by Alfred Russel Wallace, with a biographical introduction, portrait, seventy-one illus. and seven maps. London: Macmillan, 1908. url p. 505.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 54.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 191, p. 32, p. 88, p. 89.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 191, p. 32, p. 421, p. 88, p. 89.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. London, Printed for H.M. Stationary Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1895. url p. 14.
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url , p. 265, p. 286.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url p. 169.
- Our forests and the timbers they contain. New Orleans, American printing co., ltd., 1904 url p. 21.
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url .
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 242.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 89, p. 90.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 116, p. 328, p. 342, p. 350, p. 76, p. 80.
- Plant Form OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS url p. 86.
- Plant anatomy from the standpoint of the development and functions of the tissues, and handbook of micro-technic, by William Chase Stevens. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston, 1910. url p. 100, p. 379, p. 97, p. 98.
- Plant covering of Ocracoke Island; a study in the ecology of the North Carolina strand vegetation. By Thomas H. Kearney, jr. Washington, Gov't Print. Off., 1900. url p. 271.
- Plant geography, by George S. Boulger, F. L. S. London, J. M. Dent & Son, 1912. url p. 102.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 429.
- Plant life, by J. Bretland Farmer. New York, H. Holt and company; [etc., etc., 1913] url , , p. 155, p. 155, p. 156, p. 156, p. 254, p. 254.
- Plant physiology, with special reference to plant production. New York, MacMillan, 1920. url p. 58.
- Plant physiology; authorized English translation by R. J. HarveyGibson; supplement incorporating the alterations of the 2d ed. of the German original. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1913. url p. 34.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url , , p. 11, p. 199, p. 318, p. 326, p. 327, p. 423, p. 474, p. 475, p. 479, p. 559, p. 652, p. 767.
- Plantae Lindheimerianae: an enumeration of F. Lindheimer's collection of Texan plants, with remarks and descriptions of new species, etc. / by George Engelmann and Asa Gray. Boston: Printed by Freeman and Bolles, 1845- url p. 194.
- Plants and their uses; an introduction to botany, New York, H. Holt and Company, 1913. url .
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 110.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 21, p. 608.
- Practical botany, structural and systematic, the latter portion being an analytical key to the wild flowering plants, trees, shrubs, ordinary herbs, sedges and grasses of the northern and middle United States east of t New York, H. Holt and Company, 1876. url , .
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 158, p. 871.
- Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston [etc.]Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 10.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 226, p. 226.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 314.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 15.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 17, p. 245, p. 245.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 8 1885 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 477, p. 725.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 219, p. 334.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 429.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 15.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 161, p. 335, p. 345.
- Reliquiae Baldwinianae: selections from the correspondence of the late William Baldwin with occasional notes, and a short biographical memoir compiled by William Darlington. Philadelphia: Kimber and Sharpless, 1843. url p. 211.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url p. 289, p. 350, p. 350.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report on forests and forestry / by John A. Warden. Washington: G.p.o., 1875. url p. 12.
- Report on the agriculture and geology of Mississippi. Embracing a sketch of the social and natural history of the state. By B.L.C. Wailes, geologist of Mississippi. .. [Jackson]E. Barksdale, State Printer, 1854. url p. 344, p. 344.
- Report on the forests of North America (exclusive of Mexico) / by Charles S. Sargent. Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1884. url p. 537.
- Resources of southern Alabama: a statistical guide for investors and settlers, with an exposition of some of the principles of economic geography / by Roland M. Harper. University, Ala.: Geological Survey of Alabama, . url p. 85, p. 89.
- Romance of natural history / by P.H. Gosse. New York: New Amsterdam Book Company, 1903. url p. 217.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 20, p. 36.
- Seasonal variations of mites of the suborder Mesostigmata (Acarina) from south Florida turfgrasses / 1978. url p. 35.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 247.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 532, p. 626, p. 627, p. 628, p. 648.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 335, p. 388, p. 391, p. 392.
- Selected vertebrate endangered species of the seacoast of the United States / prepared by National Fish and Wildlife Laboratory, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. [Washington]: The Service: [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.], 1980. url p. 4.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 245.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 485.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 126 1956 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url figs. 27-28 , p. 10, p. 144, p. 92, p. 93, table of contents, illustrations, page v.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 480, p. 485.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 288, p. 473, p. 495.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 185.
- Structural botany, or Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company,  url , .
- Structural botany, or, Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. New York: American Book Compnay,  url p. 36.
- Structural botany: or, organography on the basis of morphology: to which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. London: Macmillan and Co., [c1879] url p. 36, p. 37.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 207.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 165.
- Text-book of western botany: consisting of Coulter's Manual of the botany of the Rocky mountains, to which is prefixed Gray's lessons in botany. For the use of schools and colleges between the Mississippi river and the Rocky moun Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url p. 34.
- Textbook of botany [by] F.N. Transeau. .. H.C. Sampson. .. [and] L.H. Tiffany. .. New York, Harper & brothers[c1940] url p. 508.
- The Alumni journal. New York: Alumni Association of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, 1894-1896. url p. 93.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants; together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the America By Alphonso Wood. Chicago, A. S. Barnes, 1870. url p. 335.
- The American journal of science. 27 1859 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 371.
- The American monthly microscopical journal. New York: Romyn Hitchcock, 1880-1902. url p. 189, p. 34, p. 34.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , , p. 199, p. 208, p. 3, p. 424, p. 5.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 248, p. 44, p. 485, p. 496, p. 98, p. 98.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 66.
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. New York: Macmillan, 1905. url p. 191.
- The Bahama Islands, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1905. url p. 191.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, The authors, 1920. url p. 63, p. 63, p. 63, p. 63.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 141.
- The Bryologist. St. Louis, Mo. [etc.]American Bryological and Lichenological Society. url p. 7.
- The Cambridge natural history / edited by S. F. Harmer and A. E. Shipley. London: Macmillan and Co.; 1895-1909. url p. 171.
- The Cambridge natural history, London, Macmillan and Co., Limited;1895-1909 url .
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited;1895-1909 url p. 171.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 29.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 149, p. 6.
- The Conservation Atlas of Tropical Forests: the Americas IUCN url p. 330.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 279.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1415, p. 146, p. 293, p. 445, p. 751, p. 980, p. 992.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 13, p. 166, p. 179, p. 3, p. 373, p. 408, p. 426, p. 466, p. 473, p. 49, p. 576, p. 577.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 100, p. 100, p. 210, p. 210, p. 344, p. 344.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1845 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 133, p. 687.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , p. 212, p. 212, p. 249, p. 268, p. 289, p. 29, p. 324, p. 369, p. 429, p. 437, p. 449, p. 488, p. 558, p. 562, p. 566, p. 706, p. 828, p. 83, p. 92.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url .
- The Journal of geology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1893- url p. 703.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 161, p. 53, p. 65.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 337, p. 337.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 31 1895-1897 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 209, p. 607.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url , p. 176, p. 82.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url , p. 947.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 244, p. 246.
- The Popular science monthly New York: D. Appleton url p. 685.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 21, p. 358, p. 685.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 320, p. 728.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 5 1910 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 170, p. 170, p. 170.
- The biology of flowering plants, by Macgregor Skene. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1924. url .
- The birds of Jamaica / by Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, of Spanish-Town. London: J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 248, p. 47.
- The birds of Jamaica. By Philip Henry Gosse; assisted by Richard Hill, esq., of Spanish-town. London, J. Van Voorst, 1847. url p. 248, p. 248, p. 47, p. 47.
- The botany of crop plants: a text and reference book. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son, [c1917] url , .
- The botany of crop plants; a text and reference book, by Wilfred W. Robbins. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1917] url p. 28, p. 678.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 674.
- The classification of flowering plants. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1904-25. url p. 281.
- The cotton question. New York, Metropolitan record office, 1866. url p. 44.
- The elements of botany embracing organography, histology, vegetable physiology, systematic botany and economic botany. .. together with a complete glossary of botanical terms Philadelphia, J. E. Potter and Company[c1883] url , .
- The elements of botany for beginners and for schools / New York: American Book Co., c1887. url .
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The ethnobotany of Chinchero, an Andean community in southern Peru / Christine Franquemont. .. [et al.]. 24 1990 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c1990. url p. 119, p. 46.
- The evolution of plants, by Dukinfield Henry Scott. London: Williams and Norgate, [c1911] url , p. 31.
- The families of flowering plants. Washington, D. C., The Plant World Co.[1900-02] url .
- The fibrous plants of India, fitted for cordage, clothing, and paper. With an account of the cultivation and preparation of flax, hemp, and their substitutes. London, Smith, Elder, and Co.;1855. url .
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 35.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands. .. by I. Boldingh. Leyden, E. J. Brill, 1909-14. url p. 16, p. 190.
- The garden... London, 1872- url , p. 184, p. 571.
- The geographical distribution of animals: with a study of the relations of living and extinct faunas as elucidating the past changes of the earth's surface / by Alfred Russel Wallace; in two volumes; with maps and illustrations. New York: Harper and Brothers, Publishers, 1876. url p. 24.
- The heredity of acquired characters in plants. By the Rev. Professor George Henslow. .. London, J. Murray, 1908. url p. 57.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 180.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown. .. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1866-68. url .
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url , .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 734.
- The naturalist in Nicaragua: a narrative of a residence at the gold mines of Chontales; journeys in the savannahs and forests; with observations on animals and plants in reference to the theory of evolution of living forms / by Thomas Belt; with map and illustrations. London: Edward Bumpus, 5 & 6 Holborn Bars, E.C., 1888 url p. 238.
- The nursery-book: a complete guide to the multiplication of plants / by L. H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan co., 1913, [c1896] url p. 328.
- The nursery-book; a complete guide to the multiplication of plants. .. New York, The Macmillan Co., 1914. url .
- The nursery-manual; a complete guide to the multiplication of plants, by L. H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan,  url p. 431.
- The parks and gardens of Paris, considered in relation to the wants of other cities and of the public and private gardens; being notes on a study of Paris gardens. London, Macmillan and co., 1878. url .
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url , , p. 159.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, by Dr. W. Pfeffer. .. 2d fully rev. ed., translated and edited by Alfred J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 159, p. 627.
- The plant community [by] Herbert C. Hanson [and] Ethan D. Churchill. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 215, p. 52.
- The polar and tropical worlds: a description of man and nature in the polar and equatorial regions of the globe / by G. Hartwig; edited, with additional chapters, by A. H. Guernsey. San Francisco: A. L. Bancroft, 1871. url p. 649.
- The quadrupeds of North America, 1 1851 New York, V.G. Audubon, 1851-54. url p. 14.
- The romance of natural history / By Philip Henry Gosse, F. R. S.. .. With elegant illustrations. Boston: Gould and Lincoln; 1861. url p. 228.
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 7 1895 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 58.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1124, p. 18, p. 3350, p. 3608.
- The study of plant communities: an introduction to plant ecology. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1948. url p. 28.
- The taxonomy of the Myzini (Homoptera: Aphididae) of the Eastern United States / 1971. url p. 61.
- The textile fibres of commerce. A handbook on the occurrence, distribution, preparation, and uses of the animal, vegetable, and mineral fibres used in cotton, woollen, paper, silk, brush, and hat manufactures. By William I. Hannan. London: C. Griffin, 1902. url p. 76.
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url , p. 178, p. 1995.
- The tropical world: a popular scientific account of the natural history of the animal and vegetable kingdoms in the equatorial regions. LondonLongman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green1863 url p. 367.
- The tropical world: aspects of man and nature in the equatorial regions of the globe. LondonLongmans, Green1873 url p. 353.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 172, p. 206.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 147, p. 830, p. 97.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 830, p. 97.
- The warblers of North America / New York: D. Appleton, 1917. url .
- The warblers of North America / by Frank M. Chapman, with the coöperation of other ornithologists; with twenty-four full-page colored plates, illustrating every species, from drawings by Louis Agassiz Fuertes and Bruce Horsfall, an New York: D. Appleton, 1914, c1907. url p. 183.
- The warblers of North America, New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1907. url , .
- The wonder of life, London, A. Melrose, Ltd. url .
- The wonder of life, by Arthur Thomson. London, A Melrose, ltd.1914. url p. 282.
- The wonder of life, by J. Arthur Thomson. New York: Henry Holt & co.,  url p. 282.
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url p. 215.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 110, p. 137, p. 140, p. 221, p. 229, p. 232, p. 238, p. 271, p. 290, p. 32, p. 46, p. 48, p. 49, p. 71.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url , , p. 192, p. 192, p. lxi.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1791-1875. url p. 232, p. 232.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 34.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url .
- Travels in Brazil, in the years 1817-1820, : undertaken by command of His majesty the King of Bavaria by Dr. Joh.Babt. von Spix and Dr. C. F. Phil. von Martius / London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green;1824. url p. 242.
- Travels in the Confederation, 1783-1784. From the German. Translated and edited by Alfred J. Morrison. Philadelphia, W.J. Campbell, 1911. url p. 106, p. 135.
- Truck-farming at the South. A guide to the raising of vegetables for northern markets. By A. Oemler. New York, Orange Judd, 1910. url p. 78.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 105, p. 117.
- Vorlesungen über Pflanzenphysiologie. Jena, G. Fischer, 1904. url p. 42.
- Wild life of orchard and field: papers on America animal life by Ernest Ingersoll...illustrated from photographs. [New YorkHarper & brothers,  url p. 255.
- Wrightia. 1 1947 Richardson, Tex. [etc.]University of Texas at Dallas. url p. 178, p. 291.
- Ma Weiliang. 1997. Bromeliaceae. In: Wu Kuo-fang, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 13(3): 64--68.
- Gardner, C. S. 1982. Systematic Study of Tillandsia Subgenus Tillandsia. Ph.D. dissertation. Texas A&M University.
- Gardner, C. S. 1984. New species and nomenclatural changes in Mexican Tillandsia---I. Selbyana 7: 361--379.
- Luther, H. E. 1985. Notes on hybrid tillandsias in Florida. Phytologia 57: 175--176.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 15, 2007:
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, Instituto de Botanica
- SysTax, SysTax
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2662156
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-269929
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2481187
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:97679-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 310398
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 42371
- MoBot NameID: 4300586
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: REUS
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 34728
- Wei-liang Ma & Bruce Bartholomew "Bromeliaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 24 Page 18. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Harry E. Luther,Gregory K. Brown "Tillandsia". in Flora of North America Vol. 22. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 387.900 meters (1,272.638 feet), Standard Deviation = 846.340 based on 549 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]