Ornamental vine from India with showy, violet, trumpet shaped flowers up to three inches across.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Blue Sky Vine, Babbler´s-Vine, Blue Trumpet Vine, Laurel Clockvine, Laurel-Leaved Thunbergia, Purple Allamanda
Common Names in German:
The Acanthaceae are mostly herbs or shrubs comprising about 250 genera and 2,500 species, including twining forms. The leaves are simple , opposite and decussate; stipules are lacking. The flowers are bisexual , zygomorphic, and usually are associated with conspicuous , often brightly colored bracts. The calyx is usually deeply 4-5 lobed or sometimes is highly reduced with more numerous minute teeth. The corolla is sympetalous , usually 5-merous, mostly zygomorphic, and commonly 2 lipped. The androecium usually consists of 4 didynamous stamens or only 2 stamens adnate to the corolla tube or epigynous zone, alternate with the lobes . The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of 2 carpels, a single style, and a superior ovary with 2 locules, each with usually 2-10 axile ovules in one or two collateral vertical tiers . An annular nectary disk is usually found around the base of the ovary. The fruit is commonly an elastically dehiscent loculicidal capsule. The seed stalk or funiculus of each seed is modified into a hook shaped jaculator or retinaculum that functions in flinging out the seeds during dehiscence. -- Gerald Carr.
Flowers: Bloom Period: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. • Flower Color: lavender, violet
Size: 10-12' tall.
Culture: Space 6-8' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Lamiales () - Bromhead, 1838
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Thunbergia Grandiflora Laurifolia
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Thunbergia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 32 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
T. alata (Black Eye Susan) · T. alata 'African Sunset' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Alba' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Alba Oculata' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Apricot Smoothie' (Black Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Blushing Susie' (Blushing Susie Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Lemon Queen' (Black-Eyed Susan 'lemon Queen') · T. alata 'Lemon Star' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Orange Beauty' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Orange Wonder' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Raspberry Smoothie' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Salmon Shades' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Smoothie' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Spanish Eyes' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Superstar Orange' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. battiscombei (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. coccinea (Thunbergia) · T. dregeana (Thunbergia) · T. erecta (Bush Clockvine) · T. erecta 'Alba' (King's Mantle) · T. erecta 'Fairy Moon' (Bush Clock Vine) · T. fragrans (Sweet Clock-Vine) · T. gibsonii (Orange Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora 'Antigua' (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora 'Variegata' (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. gregorii (Orange Clock Vine) · T. laurifolia (Blue Sky Vine) · T. mysorensis (Clock Vine) · T. natalensis (Dwarf Blue Thunbergia) · T. togoensis (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. 'Sun Lady' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A breath from the veldt, London, H. Sotheran and co., 1899. url .
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 469.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 103, p. 144, p. 319.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 302.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 68.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1911 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 278, p. 434.
- Catalogue of rare water lilies and other choice aquatic plants, Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, printers, 1885. url p. 46.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 207, p. 209.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 207, p. 209.
- Climbing plants, by William Watson; with introduction by W. Robinson. London [etc.]: T.C. & E.C. Jack,  url p. 122, p. 122.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 134, p. 145, p. 422, p. 437, p. 439, p. 584.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 24 2005 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 102, p. 132.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 152.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 152.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 83 1857 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1799.
- Familiar Indian flowers: with coloured plates / Bombay: Published for the author by L. Reeve and Co.;  url p. 60, p. 61.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 120.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 355.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 355.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 101, p. 107, p. 162, p. 384.
- Gardening indoors and under glass; New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url p. 96.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 103, p. 295.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 257.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 430.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 497.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url , p. 105.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 309.
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 227.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url .
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 198.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 198.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 267.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 287.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 165, p. 165.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 98.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url .
- Preliminary report on the forest and other vegetation of Pegu. CalcuttaC.B. Lewis, Baptist Mission Press1875 url p. 46, p. 57, p. xiv.
- Proceedings - Cambridge Philosophical Society. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society [etc.] url p. 436, p. 7, p. vi.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url , , p. 184, p. 436, p. 82.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 93.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 117, p. 589.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 204, p. 658.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 258.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 35, p. 710, p. 805.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 121, p. 316.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 256.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , p. 128, p. 13, p. 15, p. 150, p. 151, p. 163, p. 164, p. 272, p. 292, p. 308, p. 316, p. 326, p. 354, p. 354, p. 440, p. 570, p. 617, p. 66, p. 67.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 235.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1052, p. 155, p. 257, p. vi.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , , p. 106, p. 11, p. 2, p. 214, p. 236, p. 247, p. 253, p. 263, p. 35, p. 368, p. 396, p. 417, p. 435, p. 460, p. 524, p. 732, p. 784, p. 786, p. 821.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 261.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 371.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 230, p. 448.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 17 1880 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 1, p. 103, p. 2.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 226, p. 508, p. 552, p. 565.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 543, p. 716, p. 720.
- The flowers and gardens of Madeira, painted by Ella Du Cane, described by Florence Du Cane. London: A. and C. Black, 1909. url p. 112, p. 26.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 356.
- The gardens of the sun: or A naturalist's journal on the mountains and in the forests and swamps of Borneo and the Sulu archipelago. By F. W. Burbidge. .. London, J. Murray, 1880. url p. 120.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url , p. 203.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 403, p. 631.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 978.
- The parks and gardens of Paris, considered in relation to the wants of other cities and of the public and private gardens; being notes on a study of Paris gardens. London, Macmillan and co., 1878. url , .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2706, p. 3338.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 47.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 732.
- Window gardening. Devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants, for indoor use and parlor decoration. Ed. by Henry T. Williams. New York, H. T. Williams, 1878, c1871. url p. 126, p. 269, p. 269, p. 86, p. 86.
- Window gardening: devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants for indoor use and parlor decoration / edited by Henry T. Williams. New York: H.T. Williams, 1872. url p. 269, p. 86.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 04, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2664885
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-196197
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13766541
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:56339-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 36609
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 196197
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: THLA6
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 65980