Ornamental liana from India
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Bengal Clock Vine, Bengal Clockvine, Bengal Creeper, Bengal Trumpet, Blue Sky Vine, Blue Skyflower, Blue Trumpet Vine, Blue Trumpetvine, Scrambling Sky Flower
Common Names in German:
Habit: Vine , Subshrub
Flowers: Bloom Period: June, July, August. • Flower Color: lavender, light blue, near white, violet, white
Size: 15-20' tall.
Culture: Space 15-18" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Vascular Plants
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Dicotyledons
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Vascular Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Thunbergia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 32 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
T. alata (Black Eye Susan) · T. alata 'African Sunset' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Alba' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Alba Oculata' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Apricot Smoothie' (Black Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Blushing Susie' (Blushing Susie Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Lemon Queen' (Black-Eyed Susan 'lemon Queen') · T. alata 'Lemon Star' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Orange Beauty' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Orange Wonder' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Raspberry Smoothie' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Salmon Shades' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Smoothie' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Spanish Eyes' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. alata 'Superstar Orange' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) · T. battiscombei (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. coccinea (Thunbergia) · T. dregeana (Thunbergia) · T. erecta (Bush Clockvine) · T. erecta 'Alba' (King's Mantle) · T. erecta 'Fairy Moon' (Bush Clock Vine) · T. fragrans (Sweet Clock-Vine) · T. gibsonii (Orange Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora 'Antigua' (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. grandiflora 'Variegata' (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. gregorii (Orange Clock Vine) · T. laurifolia (Blue Sky Vine) · T. mysorensis (Clock Vine) · T. natalensis (Dwarf Blue Thunbergia) · T. togoensis (Bengal Clock Vine) · T. 'Sun Lady' (Black-Eyed Susan Vine)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 94.
- A flora of Manila, by E. D. Merrill. Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1912. url p. 439.
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url , p. 339, p. 441.
- A manual of Indian timbers: an account of the structure, growth, distribution, and qualities of Indian woods. CalcuttaOffice of the Superintendent of Govt. Printing1881 url p. 280.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 518.
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 542.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 220.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 469.
- An introduction to historical plant geography, by E. V. Wulff. .. authorized translation by Elizabeth Brissenden. Foreword by Elmer D. Merrill. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1943. url p. 220.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 102, p. 103, p. 104, p. 135, p. 144, p. 285, p. 326, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Director of Forestry. Manila [etc.] url p. 45.
- Appendix to the first twenty-three volumes of Edwards's botanical register: consisting of a complete alphabetical and systematical index of names, synomymes and matter, adjusted to the present state of systematical botany, together with a sketch of the vegetation of the Swan by John Lindley. London: James Ridgway, 1839. url p. lxiii, p. xxi.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 59.
- Bengal plants: a list of the phanerogams, ferns and fern-allies indigenous to, or commonly cultivated in, the Lower provinces and Chittagong, with definitions of the natural orders and genera, and keys to the genera and species. 2 1903 Calcutta: Botanical Survey of India1903. url p. 796.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 94.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 14.
- Climbing plants, by William Watson; with introduction by W. Robinson. London [etc.]T. C. & E. C. Jack url p. 122.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 134, p. 143, p. 348, p. 43, p. 439, p. 447, p. 51, p. 584, p. 678, p. 679, p. 751, p. 756, p. 757, p. 758, p. 765.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 24 2005 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 102, p. 132, p. 162, p. 171.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1799.
- Edwards, S. T. The Botanical register: consisting of coloured figures of. .. 10 1824 London: Printed for James Ridgway, 1815-1828. url , , , , , , .
- Flora Costaricensis: Family #200, Acanthaceae by L.H. Durkee, Family #201, Plantaginaceae by William Burger. 18 1986 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1986. url p. 85, p. 86.
- Flora Hongkongensis; a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. LondonL. Reeve1861 url p. 260.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 119.
- Flora hongkongensis: a description of the flowering plants and ferns of the island of Hongkong. By George Bentham. Published under the authority of Her Majesty's secretary of state for the colonies. London, L. Reeve, 1861. url p. 260.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 355.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 355.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley, Louis O. Williams, Dorothy Nash Gibson. 24 1974 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1974. url p. 458.
- Flora of the Lancetilla Valley, Honduras, by Paul C. Standley. 10 1931 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1931. url p. 362.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 363, p. 384.
- Gardening for ladies, and, Companion to the flower-garden / by Mrs. Loudon. New York: John Wiley, 1851. url p. 393.
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 103, p. 293.
- Griffith, W. Posthumous papers bequeathed to the honorable, the East India company, and printed by order of the government of Bengal.: Notulæ ad plantas asiaticas /by the late William Griffith; arranged by John M'Clelland. 4 1854 Calcutta: Bishop's college press, 1847-1854. url p. 132, p. 142, p. 763.
- Hooker, W. J. et al. Niger flora;or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; including Spicilegia gorgonea, by P. B. Webb, esq., and Flora nigritiana, by Dr. J. D. Hooker. .. and George Bentham, esq. with a sketch of the life of Dr. Vogel. Ed. by Sir W. J. Hooker. .. With two views, a map, and fifty plates. 1849 London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.] 1849. url p. 475.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 485.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 715.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 12 1901 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 239, p. 245, p. 250, p. 511, p. vi.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 40 1939 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 230, p. 231, p. 300.
- Leaflets of Philippine botany. 7 1914-1915 Manila: Oriental Printing Co., 1906-1939. url p. 2528, p. 2717.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 4 1819 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url .
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 191.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 165.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 87, p. 88, p. 89.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 243.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 311.
- Species Blancoanae: a critical revision of the Philippine species of plants described by Blanco and by Llanos /by E.D. Merrill. 1918 Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1918. url p. 14.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 40, p. 93.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 246.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 802.
- The American flower garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants, in the hot-house, garden-house, flower garden and rooms and parlours, for every month in the year. .. Instructions for erecting a hot-house, By Hibbert and Buist. Philadelphia: E.L. Carey & A. Hart, 1834. url p. 251.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Botanist: containing accurately coloured figures of tender and hardy ornamental plants; with descriptions, scientific and popular; intended to convey both moral and intellectual gratification. 1-2 1836-1838 London: New York: [etc., etc.], Published by R. Groombridge; [1836-42] url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 710, p. 805, p. 826.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Calif.: F.A. Miller & Co., 1870- url p. 135, p. 135.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1525, p. 500.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , p. 128, p. 150, p. 174, p. 260, p. 260, p. 263, p. 273, p. 275, p. 277, p. 279, p. 316, p. 325, p. 344, p. 384, p. 423, p. 440, p. 472, p. 478, p. 48, p. 489, p. 66, p. 78, p. 84, p. 85.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 190.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 55.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1856 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 342, p. 817.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , p. 186, p. 282, p. 38, p. 382, p. 397, p. 398, p. 45, p. 455, p. 501, p. 512, p. 550, p. 614, p. 786.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 308.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 17 1880 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 2, p. 237, p. 428.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 347.
- The Philippine journal of science. 17 1920 Manila. url p. 196, p. 206, p. 316, p. 353, p. 510.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 693.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 393, p. 393.
- The flora of the Nilgiri and Pulney Hill-tops / by P.F. Fyson; with 580 full page illustrations and 4 maps by Lady Bourne, Mrs. Fyson and others. Madras: Printed by the Supt., Govt. Press, 1915-1920. url p. 92.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 230.
- The forests and flora of British Honduras / by Paul C. Standley and Samuel J. Record; in cooperation with the Conservator of Forests and the Agricultural Officer of the Colony. 12 1936 Chicago: [Field Museum of Natural History], 1936. url p. 370.
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 364.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; from the German of the late Anton Kerner von Marilaun by F. W. Oliver. With the assistance of Lady Busk, and Mrs. M. F. Macdonald; with about two thousand orginal woodcut illustrations. London, Blackie, 1902. url p. 976.
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 978.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2706, p. 3338, p. 3339.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 314.
- Trace elements in plants and animals, by Walter Stiles. .. Cambridge [Eng.]The University Press;1946. url p. 14.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 335, p. 442, p. 443, p. 539, p. 841, p. 965.
- Vines and how to grow them: a manual of climbing plants for flower, foliage and fruit effects, both ornamental and useful, including those shrubs and similar forms that may be used as vines / Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page & Company, [c1911] url .
- Vines and how to grow them; a manual of climbing plants for flower, foliage and fruit effects, both ornamental and useful, including those shrubs and similar forms that may be used as vines. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 281.
- Window gardening. Devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants, for indoor use and parlor decoration. Ed. by Henry T. Williams. New York, H. T. Williams, 1878. url p. 269.
- Window gardening: devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants for indoor use and parlor decoration / edited by Henry T. Williams. New York: H.T. Williams, 1872. url p. 269.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 12, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 30, 2007:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Vienna, Institute for Botany - Herbarium WU, Herbarium WU
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2663449
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-182337
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13729303
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:56290-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 36606
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 182337
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: THGR3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 65979