Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Hiba Arborvitae, Hiba False Arborvitae, Japanese Hiba Cypress
Common Names in Japanese:
, monoecious or dioecious. Leaves decussate or in whorls of 3, scalelike and then often dimorphic
with flattened facial leaves and keeled
leaves, or needlelike particularly in juvenile plants
, often with an abaxial
. Pollen cones terminal
, solitary, maturing and shed annually; microsporophylls
6-16, decussate or whorled
, each bearing (2 or) 3-6(-9) pollen sacs
; pollen wingless. Seed cones usually terminal, solitary, globose
, or oblong
or indehiscent when mature
in 1st or 2nd(or 3rd) year; cone scales developing after ovules originate in bract axils; bracts almost completely enveloped by cone scales, free
only at apex; ovules 1-numerous per bract axil, erect
; cone scales of mature cones 3-16, flat or peltate, woody, leathery, or succulent, 1-20-seeded. Seeds winged
or not; wings
derived from seed coat
. Cotyledons usually 2, rarely 3-6. Germination epigeal.
Nineteen genera and ca. 125 species: worldwide; eight genera (one introduced ) and 46 species (16 endemic, 13 introduced) in China.
arranged in a plane
, flattened, lower side with white powder. Leaves decussate, scalelike, dimorphic
along branchlets; lateral
, 4-7 mm, overlapping margins
of facial leaves, with conspicuous
, white stomatal
abaxially, apex slightly incurved
. Cones terminal
, solitary. Pollen cones cylindric
12-20. Seed cones subglobose; cones scales
6-8, flat, woody, usually mucronate
below apex, each fertile
scale with 3-5 seeds. Seeds with 2 lateral, narrow wings
. Cotyledons 2.
One species: Japan; introduced in China.
Size: over 40' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,303 meters (0 to 4,275 feet).
Culture: Space 30-40' apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Family: Cupressaceae () - Richard ex Bartling, 1830, nom. cons. - Cypress Family
- Order: Coniferales ()
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 5-Jun-2008
Members of the genus Thujopsis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A contribution to our knowledge of seedlings; by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner, & co., ltd., 1892. url p. 550, p. 552.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 648, p. 649.
- A handbook of Coniferae, including Ginkgoaceæ, by W. Dallimore and A. Bruce Jackson. With drawings by Miss G. Lister. New York, Longmans, Green, 1923. url p. 503.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 269.
- A manual of the North American gymnosperms, exclusive of the cycadales but together with certain exotic species, by David Pearce Penhallow. Boston, Ginn, 1907. url , p. 215.
- A preliminary catalogue of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop museum of Polynesian ethnology and natural history. .. Honolulu, 1892-93. url p. 38.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 463.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 440.
- Beautiful flowering trees and shrubs for British and Irish gardens / by John Weathers. London: Simpkin, Marshall, [1903?] url p. 147.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 186.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 39, p. 48, p. 56.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 30.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 224.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 243.
- Conifers and their characteristics. London, J. Murray, 1920. url .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United States and Canada, together with geo by L.H. Bailey assisted by Wilhelm Miller, PH. D., associate editor, and many expert cultivators and botanists. Illustrated with nearly three thousand engravings and one hundred and forty-five full-pa New York, Doubleday, Page & Company, 1906. url p. 1843.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 413, p. 448.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url .
- Extracts from the Bulletin of the Forest Experiment Station, Meguro, Tokyo. Tokyo, Bureau of Forestry, Dept. of Agriculture and Commerce, 1915. url , , .
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1869. url p. 315.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 116, p. 3.
- Forestry of Japan. TokyoBureau of Forestry, Dept. of Agriculture & Commerce1910 url p. 27, p. 35, p. 65, p. 91, p. 93, p. 96.
- Gray's school and field book of botany, consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray... New York: American Book co.,  url p. 315.
- Hortus Veitchii: a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remark by James H. Veitch; with fifty illustrations. London: J. Veitch & sons, 1906. url p. 346, p. 541.
- Illustrations of conifers / by H. Clinton-Baker. Hertford: Privately printed [by Simson], 1909-1913. url .
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 621.
- Journal of forestry. Washington: Society of American Foresters, 1917- url , p. 683.
- Journal of the College of Agriculture, Imperial University of Tokyo. Tokyo, Tokyo Imperial University, 1909-1943. url p. 206, p. 212, p. 234.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 304.
- Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by. .. Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1872 [c1868] url p. 315.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 392.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 28.
- Memoirs of the Horticultural Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, c1904-c1927. url p. 140.
- Miyabe-festschrift, or A collection of botanical papers presented to Prof. Dr. Kingo Miyabe on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of his academic service by his friends and pupils. Tokio, Rokumeikwan, 1911. url p. 313.
- Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan: performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / Compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks. Washington: Beverley Tucker, printer, 1856. url , p. 319.
- Observations on the flora of Japan. Tokyo, 1901-1914. url p. 39.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Japan. [1900?- url , , , , p. 51, p. 68, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 75.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 165, p. 169, p. 170, p. 306, p. 572, p. 574.
- Pollen and spore morphology/plant taxonomy; gymnospermae, pteriodophyta, bryophyta (Illustrations) Stockholm, Almqvist & Wiksell; url .
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 610.
- Proceedings of the International conference on plant hardiness and acclimatization, 1907, held in the rooms of the American institute of the city of New York and in the Museum building of the New York botanical garden, october 1st to 3rd, 1907. [New York?]c1910. url p. 140.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 38, p. 39.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 142, p. 18.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 551.
- The American journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1867-1869. url , p. 132.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 53.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Calif.: F.A. Miller & Co., 1870- url p. 230, p. 230, p. 92, p. 92.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 534.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url , p. 142.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , p. 122, p. 169, p. 17, p. 171, p. 191, p. 192, p. 196, p. 205, p. 236, p. 24, p. 263, p. 264, p. 282, p. 282, p. 316, p. 322, p. 338, p. 342, p. 343, p. 350, p. 358, p. 363, p. 364, p. 370, p. 374, p. 392, p. 396, p. 399, p. 445, p. 474, p. 485, p. 552, p. 554, p. 560, p. 572, p. 584, p. 618.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 214.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 133, p. 136, p. 286.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , , , , p. 1055, p. 1068, p. 1093, p. 1127, p. 1129, p. 1166, p. 1198, p. 1287, p. 1289, p. 1353, p. 1363, p. 1365, p. 1369, p. 1488, p. 1640, p. 1700, p. 171, p. 192, p. 220, p. 288, p. 314, p. 336, p. 350, p. 362, p. 379, p. 381, p. 433, p. 438, p. 439, p. 461, p. 50, p. 514, p. 649, p. 708, p. 735, p. 736, p. 77, p. 79, p. 791, p. 821, p. 855, p. 924, p. 962.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , p. 106, p. 108, p. 134, p. 156, p. 156, p. 229, p. 245, p. 268, p. 272, p. 276, p. 283, p. 284, p. 3, p. 303, p. 332, p. 365, p. 367, p. 375, p. 377, p. 38, p. 401, p. 403, p. 420, p. 426, p. 427, p. 427, p. 428, p. 433, p. 44, p. 460, p. 465, p. 471, p. 477, p. 488, p. 492, p. 497, p. 534, p. 544, p. 551, p. 564, p. 583, p. 605, p. 610, p. 642, p. 647, p. 65, p. 662, p. 667, p. 679, p. 705, p. 710, p. 718, p. 742, p. 750, p. 781, p. 811, p. 99.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url , p. 361, p. 459, p. 460, p. 579.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , , p. 120, p. 130, p. 160, p. 170, p. 199, p. 230, p. 230, p. 241, p. 241, p. 25, p. 273, p. 273, p. 274, p. 307, p. 316, p. 317, p. 323, p. 331, p. 334, p. 334, p. 341, p. 350, p. 350, p. 354, p. 366, p. 370, p. 370, p. 390, p. 390, p. 396, p. 404, p. 43, p. 438, p. 472, p. 50, p. 51, p. 9, p. 9, p. 9, p. 99, p. 99.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 322, p. 570.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 122, p. 123, p. 169, p. 212, p. 234, p. 247, p. 247, p. 278, p. 283, p. 314, p. 329, p. 330, p. 352, p. 412, p. 413, p. 74, p. 76.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 402.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 225.
- The art and practice of landscape gardening / by Henry Ernest Milner. London: H. E. Milner: 1890. url p. 60.
- The conifers and taxads of Japan. Issued December 30, 1916. CambridgeUniversity Press1916 url , , p. 51, p. 68, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 75, p. viii.
- The forest resources of the world. By Raphael Zon. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1910. url p. 31.
- The industries of Japan: together with an account of its agriculture, forestry, arts and commerce / J.J. Rein. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1889. url p. 216, p. 232, p. 233, p. 284, p. 355.
- The journal of the College of Agriculture, Tohoku Imperial University, Sapporo, Japan = Tohoku Teikoku Daigaku Noka Daigaku kiyo. Sapporo, Japan: The University, 1908-1917. url p. 174.
- The pinetum: being a synopsis of all the coniferous plants at present known, with descriptions, history and synonyms, and a comprehensive systematic index. LondonH.G. Bohn [etc.]1880 url p. 458, p. 458.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 380.
- The subtropical garden, or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1871. url p. 237.
- The subtropical garden: or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1891. url p. 237.
- The trees of Great Britain & Ireland / by Henry John Elwes and Augustine Henry. Edinburgh: Priv. print., 1906-13. url p. 136, p. 202, p. 203.
- Timbers and their uses; a handbook for woodworkers, merchants, and all interested in the conversion and use of timber, London, E. P. Dutton & Co., 1919. url , , .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 186.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 109, p. 8, p. 9.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 142, p. 6.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 585.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 585.
- Veitch's manual of the coniferae: containing a general review of the order, a synopsis of the species cultivated in Great Britain, their botanical history, economic properties, place and use in arboriculture, etc. / by Adolphus H. Kent. Chelsea: J. Veitch, 1900. url p. 237.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 78.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Cheng Wan-chün, Fu Li-kuo & Chu Cheng-de. 1978. Cupressaceae. In: Cheng Wan-chün & Fu Li-kuo, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 7: 313-398.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 17, 2012.
- Conifer Database 2006.
- Conifer Database. Release date: June 5, 2008
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 19, 2008.
- Conifer Specialist Group 1998. Thujopsis dolabrata. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 05February2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed December 05, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 30, 2007:
- Forest Research Institute, Department of Natural Forests, Herbarium
- Herbario SANT, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, SANT herbarium vascular plant collection
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Institute of Genetics, ROIS, Herbarium Specimens of Museum of Nature and Human Activities, Hyogo Pref., Japan
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3497198
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Con-3895
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:263878-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 263877-1
- IUCN ID: 246352
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 605468
- Liguo Fu, Yong-fu Yu, Robert P. Adams & Aljos Farjon "Cupressaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 62. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Thujopsis". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 62. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 176.080 meters (577.690 feet), Standard Deviation = 213.080 based on 59 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]