Common Names in English:
Shrubby Germander, Tree Germander
Herbs or subshrubs
, with rhizomes or stolons. Stems erect
or branched from base
. Leaves simple, petiolate
, cordate to lanceolate, penniveined. Verticillasters
2-6-flowered, in false spikes, terminal
, or panicles of racemes; bracts rhombic-ovate to linear-lanceolate, margin
entire or dentate
. Calyx 10-veined, throat
, swollen in front at base; limb equally 5-toothed to 2-lipped, upper lip 3-toothed, lower lip 2-toothed. Corolla 1-lipped; tube included or exserted, not hairy
annulate inside; limb 5-lobed, with middle
circular or spatulate
, occasionally 2-lobulate; lateral
lobes 4, small. Stamens 4, anterior 2 slightly longer
, all exserted from posterior sinus
of corolla; anther
. Ovary globose
. Style equal to or slightly longer than stamens, equally or subequally 2-cleft at apex. Nutlets
, glabrous, smooth
, areole ca.
1/2 as long as nutlet
Approximately 260 species: worldwide, but abundant in the Mediterranean region; 18 species in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: lavender, violet
Size: 4-6' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,212 meters (0 to 13,819 feet).
Culture: Space 24-36" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Teucrium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 35 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
T. aroanium (Gray Creeping Germander) · T. bicolor (Oreganillo) · T. botrys (Cut Leaved Germander) · T. canadense (American Germander) · T. canadense var. canadense (Virginia Germander) · T. canadense var. hypoleucum (Canada Germander) · T. canadense var. occidentale (American Germander) · T. chamaedrys (Creeping Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Nanum' (Dwarf Wall Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Prostratum' (Wall Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Summer Sunshine' (Wall Germander) · T. cossonii 'Majoricum' (Fruity Germander) · T. cubense (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. cubense (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. densum (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. laevigatum (Small Coastal Germander) · T. divaricatum (Germander) · T. fruticans (Shrubby Germander) · T. fruticans 'Azurea' (Shrubby Germander) · T. fruticans 'Azureum' (Azure Bush Germander) · T. glandulosum (Common Germander) · T. hircanicum (Germander) · T. hircanicum 'Paradise Delight' (Paradise Delight Germander) · T. hyrcanicum (Caucasian Germander) · T. hyrcanicum 'Purple Tails' (Caucasian Germander) · T. laciniatum (Germander) · T. lucidum (Germander) · T. marum (Cat Thyme Germander) · T. orientale (Oriental Germander) · T. polium (Felty Germander) · T. pyrenaicum (Pyrenean Germander) · T. scorodonia (Wood Sage) · T. scorodonia 'Crispum' (Wood Sage) · T. viscidum (Germander) · T. viscidum 'Lemon and Lime' (Lemon And Lime Germander)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A complete dictionary of practical gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art: whether in the raising of the various esculent vegetables, or in the forcing and managing of different sorts of fruits and plants, and that of la by Alexander McDonald. .. London: Printed for George Kearsley. .. by R. Taylor. .., 1807. url .
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 60.
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url , p. 83.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 540.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions, from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia, and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian, New York, Scribner[c1913] url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 356, p. 67.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url .
- Arboretum et fruticetum britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 134, p. cxxii.
- Beautiful and rare trees & plants. London, C. Scribner's Sons[pref. 1903] url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 952.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 952.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 1-42 1817 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url p. 66.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 219.
- Flora calpensis; contributions to the botany and topography of Gibraltar, and its neighbourhood. By E. F. Kelaart. London, J. van Voorst, 1846. url p. 140.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 179.
- Hand-list of Coniferae: grown in the Royal botanic gardens. London: Printed for H. M. Stationery off. by Darling & son, Ltd., 1903. url p. 585.
- Hand-list of trees and shrubs, excluding Coniferae, grown in Arboretum. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1902 url p. 585.
- Hardy ornamental flowering trees and shrubs / by A. D. Webster. London: Smith, Elder, 1908. url p. 193, p. 232.
- Horticultural register, and gardener's magazine. Boston, G. D. Barrett [etc.] url p. 119.
- Hortus lignosus londinensis: or, A catalogue of all the ligneous plants, indigenous and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, cultivated in the gardens and grounds in the neighbourhood of London: with all their synonymes, scientific and By J. C. Loudon. London, The author, 1838. url p. 86.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 139.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url , p. iv.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 84.
- Miller, P. The gardeners dictionary: containing the best and newest methods of cultivating and improving the kitchen, fruit, flower garden, and nursery, as also for performing the practical parts of agriculture, including the management of vineyards, with the methods of making and preserving wine, according to the present practice of the most skilful vignerons in the several wine countries in Europe, together with directions for propagating and improving, from real practice and experience, all sorts of timber trees /by Philip Miller. 1768 London: Printed for the author and sold by John and Francis Rivington. .. [and 23 others], 1768. url p. TET-TEU.
- New England farmer, and gardener's journal. Boston: George C. Barrett, 1835-. url p. 286.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 399, p. 415, p. 425.
- Ornamental shrubs of the United States (hardy, cultivated) Cincinnati [etc]American Book Company[c1910] url .
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 57, p. 78.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 171.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 523.
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 75.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 597, p. 602.
- Rambles on the Riviera, New York, C. Scribner's sons; [etc., etc.]1906. url .
- Rambles on the Riviera, by Eduard Strasburger. Translated from the German by O. and B. Comerford Casey, with 87 coloured illustrations by Louise Reusch. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1906. url p. 443.
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 441.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 160.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 116, p. 116, p. 310, p. 427, p. 427.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 767.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson; illustrated with many engravings on wood. London: J. Murray, 1906. url p. 887.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 181.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 235, p. 88.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , p. 114, p. 121, p. 146, p. 153, p. 173, p. 2, p. 20, p. 24, p. 243, p. 272, p. 334, p. 335, p. 336, p. 39, p. 440, p. 465, p. 678, p. 88.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 183, p. 786.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 10, p. 156, p. 160, p. 18, p. 188, p. 231, p. 272, p. 284, p. 308, p. 315, p. 316, p. 316, p. 326, p. 360, p. 40, p. 400, p. 410, p. 442, p. 47, p. 480, p. 506, p. 534, p. 55, p. 568, p. 690, p. 78, p. 8, p. 8, p. 84, p. 9.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 399.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 152, p. 279, p. 346, p. 439.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 352.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 436.
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url p. 409.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 495, p. 50.
- The identification of trees & shrubs; how to recognize, without previous knowledge of botany, wild or garden trees and shrubs native to the north temperate zone, with 2, 500 diagrams made by the author. New York, Dutton url p. 261, p. 78.
- The practical American gardener; Baltimore, F. Lucas, jr., 1819. url p. 355.
- The scented garden / by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde. London: Medici Society, [19--] url p. 311.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1475, p. 2704.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 651.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 100, p. 584.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 100.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 30, 2007:
- Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, Herbarium Willing
- GBIF-Spain, Botánica, Universidad de León: LEB-Cormo
- GBIF-Spain, Dirección General de Investigación, Desarrollo Tecnológico e Innovación de la Junta de Extremadura(DGIDTI): HSS
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Jardín Botánico de Córdoba: Herbarium COA
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Almería, HUAL
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2676664
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-565565
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 14179181
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:460416-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 401851
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 565565
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: TEFR3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 65740
- "Teucrium". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 56. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 513.940 meters (1,686.155 feet), Standard Deviation = 544.460 based on 188 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]