Common Names in English:
Cat Thyme Germander
Herbs or subshrubs
, with rhizomes or stolons. Stems erect
or branched from base
. Leaves simple, petiolate
, cordate to lanceolate, penniveined. Verticillasters
2-6-flowered, in false spikes, terminal
, or panicles of racemes; bracts rhombic-ovate to linear-lanceolate, margin
entire or dentate
. Calyx 10-veined, throat
, swollen in front at base; limb equally 5-toothed to 2-lipped, upper lip 3-toothed, lower lip 2-toothed. Corolla 1-lipped; tube included or exserted, not hairy
annulate inside; limb 5-lobed, with middle
circular or spatulate
, occasionally 2-lobulate; lateral
lobes 4, small. Stamens 4, anterior 2 slightly longer
, all exserted from posterior sinus
of corolla; anther
. Ovary globose
. Style equal to or slightly longer than stamens, equally or subequally 2-cleft at apex. Nutlets
, glabrous, smooth
, areole ca.
1/2 as long as nutlet
Approximately 260 species: worldwide, but abundant in the Mediterranean region; 18 species in China.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Flower Color: pink
Size: 12-18" tall.
Typically found in water with a depth of 0 to -1,588 meters (0 to -5,210 feet).
Biome: Marine .
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 7.6 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
A tentatively accepted name in the RHS Horticultural Database.
Members of the genus Teucrium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 35 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
T. aroanium (Gray Creeping Germander) · T. bicolor (Oreganillo) · T. botrys (Cut Leaved Germander) · T. canadense (American Germander) · T. canadense var. canadense (Virginia Germander) · T. canadense var. hypoleucum (Canada Germander) · T. canadense var. occidentale (American Germander) · T. chamaedrys (Creeping Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Nanum' (Dwarf Wall Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Prostratum' (Wall Germander) · T. chamaedrys 'Summer Sunshine' (Wall Germander) · T. cossonii 'Majoricum' (Fruity Germander) · T. cubense (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. cubense (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. densum (Small Coastal Germander) · T. cubense var. laevigatum (Small Coastal Germander) · T. divaricatum (Germander) · T. fruticans (Shrubby Germander) · T. fruticans 'Azurea' (Shrubby Germander) · T. fruticans 'Azureum' (Azure Bush Germander) · T. glandulosum (Common Germander) · T. hircanicum (Germander) · T. hircanicum 'Paradise Delight' (Paradise Delight Germander) · T. hyrcanicum (Caucasian Germander) · T. hyrcanicum 'Purple Tails' (Caucasian Germander) · T. laciniatum (Germander) · T. lucidum (Germander) · T. marum (Cat Thyme Germander) · T. orientale (Oriental Germander) · T. polium (Felty Germander) · T. pyrenaicum (Pyrenean Germander) · T. scorodonia (Wood Sage) · T. scorodonia 'Crispum' (Wood Sage) · T. viscidum (Germander) · T. viscidum 'Lemon and Lime' (Lemon And Lime Germander)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 48.
- A text-book of materia medica and therapeutics: characteristic, analytical, and comparative / by A.C. Cowperthwaite. Chicago: Gross & Delbridge, 1891. url p. 762, p. 763.
- Alpine flowers for English gardens / by W. Robinson. London: Murray, 1879. url p. 379.
- Alpine flowers for gardens: rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs / by W. Robinson. London: John Murray, 1903. url p. 322.
- Alpine flowers for gardens; rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs, by W. Robinson. London, J. Murray, 1910. url p. 322.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 351.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 129, p. 130, p. 463.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 116, p. 158, p. 195, p. 218.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , , , , .
- Introduction to botany, containing an explanation of the theory of that science, extracted from the works of Linnaeus, ed. by C. Stewart. Edinburgh, Bell, 1811. url p. 150.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 42.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 34.
- Preliminary draft list of plant species for inclusion in a 'Responsibility List' of European plants WCMC url p. 111.
- The American flora: or history of plants and wild flowers: containing their scientific and general description, natural history, chemical and medical properties, mode of culture, propagation, &c., designed as a book of by A. B. Strong. New York: Hull & Spencer, 1855. url , , p. 31.
- The English rock-garden, by Reginald Farrer. London, Jack, 1919. url p. 389.
- The Universal herbal; or, Botanical, medical, and agricultural dictionary; containing an account of all the known plants in the world, arranged according to the Linnean system. Specifying the uses to which they are or may be applied, whether as food, as medicine, or in the a London, Caxton Press url p. 864.
- The classes and orders of the Linnaean system of botany: Illustrated by select specimens of foreign and indigenous plants. London: Printed by T. Bensley for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1816. url p. 298.
- The cyclopædia; or, Universal dictionary of arts, sciences, and literature. London: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown [etc.], 1819. url p. 752.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 208.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url , .
- The home garden book of herbs and spices / by Milo Miloradovich. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday & Co., c1952. url p. 30.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 13, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 06, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Hortus Botanicus Sollerensis Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 1673193
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15547131
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:460544-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 896252
- "Teucrium". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 56. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = -1,346.000 meters (-4,416.011 feet), Standard Deviation = 640.270 based on 7 observations. Ocean depth information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]