Tender perennial . Stunning foliage accent for the garden or containers . May be wintered indoors. Plants form a dense mat of rich color.
Common Names in English:
The Acanthaceae are mostly herbs or shrubs comprising about 250 genera and 2,500 species, including twining forms. The leaves are simple , opposite and decussate; stipules are lacking. The flowers are bisexual , zygomorphic, and usually are associated with conspicuous , often brightly colored bracts. The calyx is usually deeply 4-5 lobed or sometimes is highly reduced with more numerous minute teeth. The corolla is sympetalous , usually 5-merous, mostly zygomorphic, and commonly 2 lipped. The androecium usually consists of 4 didynamous stamens or only 2 stamens adnate to the corolla tube or epigynous zone, alternate with the lobes . The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of 2 carpels, a single style, and a superior ovary with 2 locules, each with usually 2-10 axile ovules in one or two collateral vertical tiers . An annular nectary disk is usually found around the base of the ovary. The fruit is commonly an elastically dehiscent loculicidal capsule. The seed stalk or funiculus of each seed is modified into a hook shaped jaculator or retinaculum that functions in flinging out the seeds during dehiscence. -- Gerald Carr.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Purple or white bloom . • Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: purple
Size: 6-8" tall.
Culture: Space 12" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.1 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun, but protect from the hottest afternoon sun.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Members of the genus Strobilanthes
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
S. atropurpureus (Strobilanthes) · S. attenuata (Strobilanthes) · S. cusia (Chinese Rain Bell) · S. dyerianus (Persian Shield) · S. flaccidifolius (Chinese Rain Bell) · S. isophyllus (Bedding Conehead)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url p. 388.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 133, p. 580.
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 1131.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 12, p. 170, p. 186, p. 235, p. 32, p. 48, p. 64.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 87, p. 87.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., 1900. url p. 63.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 96.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1079, p. 1102, p. 1196, p. 186, p. 480, p. 596, p. 792, p. 855.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 1055, p. 1075, p. 1101, p. 1123, p. 113, p. 1207, p. 129, p. 1404, p. 1452, p. 1476, p. 188, p. 195, p. 216, p. 240, p. 245, p. 264, p. 295, p. 304, p. 305, p. 316, p. 357, p. 482, p. 513, p. 532, p. 54, p. 640, p. 671, p. 686, p. 720, p. 738, p. 754, p. 770, p. 778, p. 798, p. 809, p. 82, p. 874, p. 912, p. 983.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , p. 186, p. 199, p. 208, p. 256, p. 336, p. 369, p. 582, p. 86.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 677.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 19, 2007: