Common Names in English:
, rarely subshrubs
, sometimes rhizomatous
2- to many flowered, in terminal
spikes. Pedicel short or obsolete
. Calyx tubular-campanulate, obconical
, 5- or 10-veined; teeth 5, equal or posterior 3 larger, acute to bristlelike, or spinescent
. Corolla red, purple, yellow, gray, or white, 2-lipped; tube
, nearly always villous
inside, sometimes saccate
at apex, throat
; upper lip straight or subpatent; lower lip longer, 3-lobed, middle
entire or emarginate
lobes shorter. Stamens 4, reaching upper lip of corolla, anterior 2 longer
laterally at corolla throat; anther
, parallel or divergent. Style apex subequally 2-cleft, lobes subulate
, apex obtuse
About 300 species: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America; 18 species in China.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 344 meters (0 to 1,129 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Stachys ambigua (Gray) Britt. • Stachys grayana House • Stachys hyssopifolia var. ambigua Gray • Stachys tenuifolia var. aspera (Michx.) Fern.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Stachys
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 80 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
S. affinis (Artichoke Betony) · S. ajugoides (Bugle Hedgenettle) · S. albens (Cobwebby Hedge-Nettle) · S. albicaulis (Oreganillo) · S. albotomentosa (Woundwort) · S. annua (Annual Hedgenettle) · S. arvensis (Staggerweed) · S. aspera (Hyssopleaf Hedgenettle) · S. bergii (His Excellency's Supreme Reflection) · S. bigelovii (Rock Hedgenettle) · S. bullata (California Hedgenettle) · S. byzantina (Lamb's Ears) · S. byzantina 'Big Ears' (Big Ears Lamb's Ears) · S. byzantina 'Countess Helen von Stein' (Countess Helen Von Stein Lamb's Ears) · S. byzantina 'Helene von Stein' (Big Ears) · S. byzantina 'Helen Von Stein' (Lambs Ear) · S. byzantina 'Primrose Heron' (Lambs Ear) · S. byzantina 'Silver Carpet' (Lambs Ear) · S. chamissonis (Coastal Hedgenettle) · S. chamissonis Benth. var. cooleyae (Heller) G.Mulligan & D.Munro (Giant Hedge-Nettle) · S. chamissonis var. chamissonis (Coastal Hedgenettle) · S. chamissonis var. cooleyae (Coastal Hedgenettle) · S. citrina (Ear Yellow-Flowered Lambs) · S. clingmanii (Clingman's Hedge Nettle) · S. coccinea (Betony) · S. coccinea 'Hidalgo' (Scarlet Hedgenettle) · S. coccinea 'Hot Spot Coral' (Betony) · S. coccinea 'Pow Wow' (Betony) · S. crenata (Mouse's-Ear) · S. cretica (Cretan Hedgenettle) · S. densiflora (Common Betony) · S. densiflora 'Alba' (Common Betony) · S. densiflora 'Hummelo' (Common Betony) · S. drummondii (Drummond's Hedgenettle) · S. eplingii (Epling's Hedgenettle) · S. floridana (Florida Betony) · S. germanica (Downy Woundwort) · S. grandidentata (Oreganillo) · S. grandiflora (Big-Sage) · S. hyssopifolia (Hyssopleaf Hedgenettle) · S. hyssopifolia var. hyssopifolia (Hyssopleaf Hedgenettle) · S. lanata (Lamb´s Tongue) · S. latidens (Broadtooth Hedgenettle) · S. longispicata (Longspike Hedgenettle) · S. macrantha (Big Betony) · S. macrantha 'Morning Blush' (Betony 'morning Blush') · S. macrantha 'Robusta' (Big Betony) · S. macrantha 'Rosea' (Big Betony) · S. macrantha 'Superba' (Big Betony) · S. mexicana (Mexican Hedgenettle) · S. monieri (Common Betony) · S. monieri'Hummelo' (Hummelo Alpine Betony) · S. monieri 'Saharan Pink' (Betony) · S. nuttallii (Heartleaf Hedgenettle) · S. ocymastrum (Hedgenettle) · S. officinalis (Betony) · S. officinalis 'Alba' (Betony) · S. palustris (Marsh Betony) · S. palustris arenicola var. arenicola (Marsh Woundwort) · S. philippiana (Oreganillo) · S. pilosa (Hairy Hedgenettle) · S. pilosa var. arenicola (Marsh Hedgenettle) · S. pilosa var. pilosa (Hairy Hedgenettle) · S. pycnantha (Shortspike Hedgenettle) · S. recta (Seaport Hedgenettle) · S. recta recta (Seaport Hedgenettle) · S. rigida (Rigid Hedgenettle) · S. rigida Nutt. ex Benth. var. rigida Nutt. ex Benth. (Rigid Hedgenettle) · S. rigida var. quercetorum (Rough Hedgenettle) · S. rigida var. rigida (Rough Hedgenettle) · S. rothrockii (Rothrock's Hedge-Nettle) · S. stebbinsii (Stebbins' Hedgenettle) · S. stricta (Sonoma Hedgenettle) · S. strictiflora (Stachys) · S. sylvatica (Hedge Woundwort) · S. tenuifolia (Slender Betony) · S. tenuifolia var. tenuifolia (Smooth Hedgenettle) · S. tenuifolia var. tenuifolia Willd. (Slender Betony) · S. 'Sentimental Journey' (Sentimental Journey Betony) · S. 'Wave Hill' (Lamb's Ear)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 79.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A compendium of the flora of the northern and middle states, containing generic and specific descriptions of all the plants, exclusive of the cryptogamia, hitherto found in the United States, north of the Potomac. New York, S. B. Collins, 1826. url p. 234.
- A general system of gardening and botany. Founded upon Miller's Gardener's dictionary, and arranged according to the natural system. By George Don. London, Printed for C. J. G. and F. Rivington, 1831-38. url p. 827.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 244.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 91.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 88.
- A second edition of Webber's "Appendix to the catalogue of the flora of Nebraska" / with a supplementary list of recently reported species by Charles E. Bessey. Lincoln, Neb.: [University of Nebraska?, 1892] url p. 39.
- An essay toward a natural history of La Salle County, Illinois, in two parts / J. W. Huett. Ottawa, Illinois: Fair-dealer print, 1898. url p. 115.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 123, p. 126.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 388.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 91.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 599.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 15.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 106.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 138, p. 190.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 19 1908 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 238.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 116.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 55, p. 667.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 126, p. 19, p. 362.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 122, p. 83.
- Annual report of the Regents / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1890-1903. url p. 22.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the Connecticut Board of Agriculture. Hartford: The Board, 1867-1925. url p. 47.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url , .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 60.
- Annual report of the regents of the university on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History, with catalogues of the same. Albany, Regents of the University. url p. 54.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 81.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 75.
- Annual wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants and seeds: cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, near New-York / William Prince & Sons, proprietors. New York: s.n., 1832 url p. 208.
- "Appendix to the catalogue of the flora of Nebraska." With a supplementary list of recently reported species, Lincoln, Neb., 1892. url .
- Botanic contributions relating to the flora of western North America [by] Gray, Engelmann, Torrey [and] Fre?mont. v.p., 1843-53 url p. 93.
- Botany of the United States north of Virginia; comprising descriptions of the flowering and fern-like plants hitherto found in those states, arranged according to the natural system. With a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnean system, a New York, Harper, 1868. url p. 282.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, by Rev. M. A. Curtis. Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 41.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 12, p. 138, p. 190, p. 636.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 106, p. 179.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 10 1920 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 211.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 159.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 27 1900 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 443, p. 449, p. 92.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 820.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 35.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 19.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 390, p. 390.
- Catalogue of plants found in New Jersey by N. L. Britton. Trenton: John L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1889 url p. 201.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the flora of Minnesota: including its phænogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants, indigenous, naturalized, and adventive / by Warren Upham. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 106.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 337.
- Chinese materia medica. extensively revised from F. Porter Smith's work by G. A. Stuart. Shanghai?: Presbyterian Mission Press?, 1911? url p. 268, p. 422, p. 550.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 1 1890-1895 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 170, p. 243, p. 519, p. 610, p. 706.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 23 2001 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 319.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 75.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 47, p. 50.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota. Sioux Falls, S.D.: W.A. Beach, 1899 url p. 189.
- Field book of American wild flowers: being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization / by F. Schuyler Mathews. New York: Putnam, 1909. url p. 410, p. 550.
- Field, forest, and garden botany; a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated, by Asa Gray. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url p. 355.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 56.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url .
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 221.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 219.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 811, p. 812.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 129.
- Flora of New Bedford and the shores of Buzzards Bay, with a procession of the flowers. New Bedford, [Mass.]E. Anthony, 1891. url p. 44.
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 268.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 75.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 225.
- Flora of West Virginia. Charleston, W. Va., M.W. Donnally, 1892. url p. 428.
- Flora of Winneshiek County. Des Moines: 1906. url , .
- Flora of the Black Hills of South Dakota. By P.A. Rydberg. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1896. url p. 519.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 64.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 243.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 66.
- Flora of the Southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., [c1883] url .
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1030, p. 1030, p. 1032, p. 1032.
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 326.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 28, p. 534.
- Florula Bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 251.
- Florula bostoniensis. A collection of plants of Boston and its vicinity, with their generic and specific characters, principal synonyms, descriptions, places of growth, and time of flowering, and occasional remarks. Boston, C. C. Little and J. Brown, 1840. url p. 251.
- Florula cestrica: an essay towards a catalogue of the phænogamous plants, native and naturalized, growing in the vicinity of the borough of West-Chester, in Chester County, Pennsylvania; to which is subjoined an appen by William Darlington. West-Chester, Penn.: Printed for the author by S. Siegfried, 1826. url p. 67.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 567, p. 87.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp; New York, Harper & Brothers, 1899. url , .
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 197.
- Foundations of botany, Boston, Ginn & Co., 1901. url .
- Geology of the county of Cape May, state of New Jersey. Trenton, Printed at the office of the True American, 1857. url , p. 151.
- Grand Rapids flora: a catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Grand Rapids, Mich., A. Van Dort, 1901. url p. 132.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 355.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url , .
- Hooker's journal of botany and Kew Garden miscellany. 3 1851 London: Reeve, Benham, and Reeve, 1849-1857. url p. 290.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 2 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 116.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 144.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 162.
- Lake Superior: its physical character, vegetation, and animals, compared with those of other and similar regions. By Louis Agassiz. With a narrative of the tour, by J. Elliot Cabot. And contributions by other scientific gentlemen. .. Boston, Gould, Kendall and Lincoln, 1850. url p. 162, p. 162.
- List of New Brunswick plants by James Fowler. S.l.: s.n., 18-- url .
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 285.
- Loddiges, C. L. The botanical cabinet: consisting of coloured delineations of plants, from all countries, with a short account of each, directions for management, &c, &c /by Conrad Loddiges & Sons; the plates by George Cooke... 15 1828 London: John & Arthur Arch. .., 1817-1833. url , no. 1412.
- Manual of the Flora of Jackson County, Missouri, By Kenneth K. MacKenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., s.n., 1902 url p. 163.
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri. Assisted by B.F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url p. 163.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 793.
- Manual of the flowering plants of Iowa. [Lamoni, Iowa]Privately published, 1899. url .
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 147, p. 206, p. 285, p. 32.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 256.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url .
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url , p. 116.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 965, p. 975.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 15.
- Narrative of an expedition through the upper Mississippi to Itasca Lake, the actual source of this river embracing an exploratory trip through the St. Croix and Burntwood (or Broule) rivers in 1832, under the direction of Henry R. Schoolcraft. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1834. url .
- Narrative of an expedition to the source of St. Peter's river, Lake Winnepeek, Lake of the Woods, &c., performed in the year 1823, . .. under the command of Stephen H. Long. Compiled from the notes of Major Long, Messrs. Say, Keating, and Calhoun, by William H. Keating. Philadelphia, H. C. Carey & I. Lea, 1824. url p. 390.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 396.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 567, p. 567, p. 80, p. 80.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 105, p. 24, p. 243, p. 68.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 6 1911 - 19 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 180, p. 197.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 74.
- Pittonia: a series of papers relating to botany and botanists /by Edward L. Greene. 4 1899-1901 Berkeley, Calif. [etc.]: Doxey & Co. [etc.], 1887-1905. url p. 165.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 706.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 706.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 210.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 242.
- Preliminary catalogue of the flora of West Virginia. [Chicago?]1892 url p. 428.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 236, p. 36, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 37.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 95.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 225.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 10, p. 23, p. 60, p. 81.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1900-1904. url p. 139.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , , , p. 12, p. 138, p. 190.
- Report of the exploring expedition to the Rocky Mountains in the year 1842: and to Oregon and north California in the years 1843-44 / Washington: Blair and Rives, Printers, 1845. url p. 93.
- Report on the herbaceous flowering plants of Massachusetts, arranged according to the natural orders of Lindley, and illustrated chiefly by popular descriptions of their character, properties, and use Pub. agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the zoological and botanical survey of the state. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, Printers to the University, 1840. url p. 180.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 445, p. 700.
- Reports on the herbaceous plants and on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts: published agreeably to an order of the Legislature by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1840. url p. 180.
- Scientific Japan, past and present, prepared [by the National Research Council of Japan] in connection with the third Pan-Pacific Science Congress, Tokyo, 1926. Kyoto[1926?] url p. 90.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1032.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 387.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 43.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 334, p. 334.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 126, p. 138, p. 19.
- Summary narrative of an exploratory expedition to the sources of the Mississippi River, in 1820: resumed and completed, by the discovery of its origin in Itasca Lake, in 1832. By authority of the United States. With appendices, comprising. .. all of the official reports and scientific papers of b By Henry R. Schoolcraft. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo, and co., 1855. url p. 525.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 387, p. 387.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 387.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 248, p. 36, p. 65.
- The American journal of science. 4 1822 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 65, p. 80.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 110.
- The Canadian journal; a repertory of industry, science, and art; and a record of the proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Published by H. Scobie for the Council of the Canadian Institute. url p. 222.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 111.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 104, p. 31, p. 32.
- The Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science: JIAS. Cedar Falls, Iowa: The Academy, 1988- url p. 125, p. 159, p. 193.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 26 1889-90 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 300, p. 601.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 445, p. 700, p. 701, p. 729.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 445, p. 700, p. 701, p. 729.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 190, p. 331, p. 388.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 200.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 159.
- The Tennessee flora; with special reference to the flora of Nashville. Phaenogams and vascular cryptogams, by August Gattinger. Nashville, Tenn.The author, 1887. url p. 73.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Franklin County [Indiana]. Richmond, 1885-1886 url p. 32.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 145.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 483.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 476.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 224.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url , .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 55, p. 667.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 55.
- Torreya. 12 1912 Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 313, p. 76.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 188.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. 6 1892 [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 39.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 86.
- Transactions of the State Agricultural Society. .. Lansing: The Society, 1850-1856. url p. 420.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 87.
- Wholesale catalogue of American trees, shrubs, plants, and seeds, cultivated and for sale at the Linn©an Botanic Garden and nurseries, near New-York. William Prince, proprietor. .. New-York, Printed by T. and J. Swords, 1827. url p. 158.
- Wild flowers of Canada published exclusively with the Montreal Star, Montreal; by special artists and botanists. Montreal: Montreal Star, [1895?] url , .
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 02, 2008:
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655011
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32327
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13746260
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32327
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: STTEA
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 64175
- "Stachys". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 178. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 167.650 meters (550.033 feet), Standard Deviation = 79.990 based on 82 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]