Common Names in English:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
, 5-120+ cm; herbage
, not spiny
. Stems erect
or branched. Leaves basal or cauline (sometimes cauline only), sessile or petiolate
entire or dentate
to pinnately lobed
to densely tomentose, glandular
. Heads discoid
, borne singly or in corymbiform
arrays. Involucres ovoid
or ± turbinate
. Phyllaries many in 3-5(-10+) series, subequal
to strongly unequal, appressed
or not, ovate
to lanceolate, margins entire, toothed
, or lobed, apices obtuse
or acute, appendaged or not, not spine-tipped. Receptacles flat or convex
, epaleate, smooth
, usually subulate-scaly, sometimes bristly
or naked. Florets 10-20; corollas white to blue or purple, tubes
slender, abruptly expanded to throats
short-tailed, apical appendages
linear, acute; style branches: fused portions with minutely hairy
to linear, short-papillate. Cypselae oblong, ± angled
or 4-5-angled, ribs
(when present) smooth or roughened, apices entire, glabrous or minutely glandular, attachment scars
basal; pappi usually of 2 series, outer of readily falling, short bristles
, inner persistent
or falling as unit
, of basally connate
, usually longer
bristles. x = 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19?.
Species 300-400: North America, Eurasia , 1 in Australia.
Saussurea is a notoriously difficult, largely Asiatic genus with species boundaries often indistinct.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,500 meters (0 to 8,202 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Subfamily: Carduoideae ()
- Family: Compositae () - Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Saussurea alpina< /i> (L.) Dc. • Serratula Alpina
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Data Providers: Govaerts World Compositae Checklist A-G, IPNI, Flora of China Checklist, Tropicos, Euro+Med. GCC LSID: urn :lsid:compositae.org:names:442CDBC6-1B41-4D1F-9EA9-C55B6DB12100
Last scrutiny: 15-Aug-09
Members of the genus Saussurea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
S. alpina (Alpine Sawwort) · S. amara (Saussurea) · S. americana (American Saw-Wort) · S. angustifolia (Narrowleaf Saw-Wort) · S. angustifolia var. angustifolia (Narrowleaf Saw-Wort) · S. angustifolia var. yukonensis (Narrowleaf Saw-Wort) · S. angustifolia yukonensis (Narrowleaf Saw-Wort) · S. densa (Clustered Sawwort) · S. nuda (Nutty Saw-Wort) · S. tilesii (Tiles' Saussurea) · S. tschuktschorum (Tschuktsch's Saussurea) · S. viscida (Sticky Saw-Wort) · S. weberi (Weber's Saw-Wort)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url , .
- A botanical tour in the highlands of Perthshire by W.P. and A.T. London, W. Pamplin, 1857. url p. 35.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url , .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 246.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 589.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , .
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 110, p. 113, p. 121.
- A history of the birds of Europe: including all the species inhabiting the western palaearctic region / London: Published by the Author, 1871-1881. url p. 393.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 179, p. 228.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 179, p. 228.
- A second supplement to, and summary of Stewart and Corry's flora of the North-east of Ireland / compiled by Sylvanus Wear, with an introduction by R. Lloyd Praeger. Belfast: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club, 1923. url p. 59.
- Across the sub-Arctic of Canada, a journey of 3, 200 miles by canoe and snowshoe through the barren lands, by J. W. Tyrrell. .. including a list of plants collected on the expediton, a vocabulary of Eskimo words, a route map and full classified index. With illustrations from photographs taken on the journe Toronto, W. Briggs, 1897. url p. 259.
- Across the sub-Arctics of Canada, a journey of 3, 200 miles by canoe and snow shoe through the Hudson Bay region, Toronto: William Briggs, 1908. url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 10, p. 103, p. 11, p. 116, p. 118, p. 135, p. 136, p. 143, p. 144, p. 144, p. 146, p. 15, p. 153, p. 161, p. 19, p. 19, p. 20, p. 214, p. 22, p. 25, p. 281, p. 294, p. 34, p. 34, p. 38, p. 38, p. 42, p. 468, p. 57, p. 75, p. 8, p. 8, p. 99.
- Alpine flowers for gardens: rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs / by W. Robinson. London: John Murray, 1903. url p. 16.
- Alpine flowers for gardens; rock, wall, marsh plants, and mountain shrubs, by W. Robinson. London, J. Murray, 1910. url p. 16.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 184, p. 184.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 449, p. 449.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 538.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 84.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 249, p. 321.
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 166, p. 80.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url p. 127.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 288, p. 288, p. 331, p. 331.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 121.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 37 1910 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 541, p. 627.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , , p. 271, p. 271, p. 556, p. 556.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 304.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 304.
- Compositae newsletter. Columbus, Ohio: Dept. of Botany, Ohio State University, 1975- url p. 4, p. 5.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , , .
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 541.
- Contributions from the herbarium of the Geological Survey of Canada / by James M. Macoun. [Ottawa?: s.n.], 1894-1906. url p. 274.
- Contributions to Canadian botany / by Jas. M. Macoun. Ottawa: [s. n.], 1894-1906. url p. 274.
- Contributions to Canadian botany by James M. Macoun. Ottawa?: s.n., 1902? url .
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url , , , .
- Cruise of the revenue-steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N.W. Arctic Ocean in 1881: notes and memoranda: medical and anthropological, botanical, ornithological. Washington: G.P.O., 1883. url p. 49.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 353, p. 73.
- Edmonston's flora of Shetland: comprehending a list of the prevalent wild-flowers, horse-tails, club-mosses and ferns of the Shetland Isles. Edinburgh; Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1903. url p. 71.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 120.
- Flora Orcadensis: containing the flowering plants arranged according to the natural orders / by Magnus Spence; and The mosses, by James Grant. Kirkwall: D. Spence, 1914. url p. 147.
- Flora boreali-Americana, or, The botany of the northern parts of British America compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. to which are added (by permission of by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: H.G. Bohn, 1840. url .
- Flora hibernica, comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland, arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system, by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin, Simpkin, Marshall and co.; [etc., etc.]1836. url p. 154.
- Flora hibernica: comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland: arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin: W. Curry jun., 1836. url p. 154.
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url , , , , , , , , , .
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 484, p. 490, p. 494, p. 736.
- Flora of the Wordsworth country. Keswick: Bakewell, 1899. url p. 5.
- Flowers of the field, by the late Rev. C. A. Johns. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1911. url p. 279.
- Flowers of the field. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[186-?] url p. 346.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 186.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 410, p. 600, p. 778.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 989.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url , p. 92.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. London: Reeve, 1858. url p. 312.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 146, p. 152, p. 170, p. 263.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 116, p. 127, p. 478.
- Hooker, W. J. Flora boreali-americana, or, the botany of the northern parts of British America: compiled principally from the plants collected by Dr. Richardson & Mr. Drummond on the late northern expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. To which are added (by permission of the Horticultural society of London, ) those of Mr. Douglas, from north-west America, and of other naturalists /by Sir William Jackson Hooker. 1 1840 London, H.G. Bohn -1840. url p. 303.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 217.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev: a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe to which is added a record of the natural history of the island / by Aubyn Trevor-Battye; with numerous illustrations by J.T. Nettleship, Charles Whymper and the author. Westminster: A. Constable, 1895. url p. 409.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev; a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe, to which is added a record of the natural history of the island, Westminster, A. Constable and Company, 1895. url .
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Index of British plants according to the London catalogue... London: G. Bell, 1889. url p. 95.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 1008.
- Johnson's Gardeners' dictionary and cultural instructor. London, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd. url p. 799.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 109, p. 11, p. 111, p. 118, p. 12, p. 133, p. 14, p. 157, p. 157, p. 226, p. 239, p. 243, p. 247, p. 268, p. 268, p. 273, p. 276, p. 300, p. 336, p. 337, p. 349, p. 381, p. 47, p. 51, p. 6, p. 92.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 555.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 48.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 196, p. 564.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 183.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url , .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 18.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 106, p. 465.
- Norway and the Norwegians. New York: Scribner, 1892. url p. 385.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 16, p. 168, p. 171, p. 172, p. 184, p. 188, p. 210, p. 230, p. 231, p. 235, p. 243, p. 297, p. 299, p. 309, p. 313, p. 314, p. 343, p. 344, p. 345, p. 347, p. 369, p. 370, p. 384, p. 389, p. 400, p. 402, p. 403, p. 417, p. 420, p. 431, p. 446, p. 456, p. 457, p. 460, p. 478, p. 479, p. 48, p. 50, p. 56, p. 59, p. 62, p. 75, p. 76, p. 95, p. 98.
- Plant sociology; the study of plant communities; authorized English translation of Pflanzensoziologie, by Dr. J. Braun-Blanquet. Translated, revised and edited by George D. Fuller and Henry S. Conard. New York and London, McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1932. url p. 432.
- Plant-geography upon a physiological basis. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1903. url p. 688.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 277.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 110, p. 114, p. 186, p. 220, p. 225, p. 228, p. 23, p. 26, p. 29, p. 37, p. 394, p. 397, p. 399, p. 408, p. 447, p. 449, p. 459, p. 568, p. 573, p. 6, p. 698, p. 700, p. 713, p. 715, p. 738, p. 742, p. 743, p. 744, p. 755, p. 9.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 7 1884 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 534, p. 653.
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 106.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url .
- Reports and papers on botany. London: Printed for the Ray society, 1846-49. url p. 335.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 172, p. 86.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 31 1888 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 396.
- Sport in Norway, and where to find it. Together with a short account of the vegetable productions of the country. To which is added, a list of the Alpine flora of the Dovre fjeld and of the Norwegian ferns, &c. By M. R. Barnard. .. London, Chapman and Hall, 1864. url p. 293, p. 293.
- Studies on Rocky Mountain flora. New York, New York Botanical Garden, 1899-1913. url p. 541.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 396.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 396.
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 138, p. 139, p. 177.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 932.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 932.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 268, p. 268, p. 268, p. 293, p. 320, p. 320, p. 355, p. 384, p. 384, p. 541, p. 541.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 100, p. 100, p. 121, p. 122, p. 162, p. 166, p. 169, p. 169, p. 169, p. 170, p. 170, p. 176, p. 178, p. 178, p. 227, p. 231, p. 231, p. 232, p. 232, p. 236, p. 245, p. 250, p. 250, p. 39, p. 39, p. 48, p. 53, p. 53, p. 59, p. 59.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous, or flowering plants and the ferns / by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1838- url p. 296.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 347, p. 351.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 127, p. 320, p. 322, p. 363, p. 363.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 204.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 18.
- The Field naturalist's quarterly. Edinburgh: George A. Morton, 1902-1904. url p. 237.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 189.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 451, p. 48, p. 494, p. 504.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 43.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1129, p. 985.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 136, p. 279, p. 335, p. 336, p. 338, p. 393, p. 658, p. 694, p. 797, p. 85.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 108, p. 119, p. 127, p. 149, p. 152, p. 21, p. 216, p. 57.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 48 1988 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 465.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 115, p. 126, p. 24, p. 286.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 440.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 35 1901-04 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 185, p. 213, p. 256, p. 258, p. 467, p. 579.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 274, p. 274.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 255, p. 309, p. 310, p. 314, p. 316, p. 65, p. 672, p. 76, p. 8.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 135, p. 311, p. 313, p. 391, p. 404, p. 471, p. 527.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url , p. 108, p. 147, p. 148, p. 180, p. 253, p. 372.
- The Victoria history of the county of Cumberland. Westminster[A. Constable and company, limited]1901-05. url , .
- The alpine flora / by Henry Correvon and Phillippe Robert; translated into English and enlarged, under the author's sanction, by E. W. Clayforth. London: Methuen,  url p. 359.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 361.
- The flora of Banffshire. Aberdeen: Printed for the University1912 url p. 9.
- The flora of Canada, by J. M. Macoun and M. O. Malte. Ottawa: Government printing bureau, 1917. url p. 3.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 99.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 99.
- The flowering plants, grasses, sedges, & ferns of Great Britain and their allies, the club mosses, horsetails, etc. London, F. Warne, 1905. url .
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 369.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 974.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers (the Sayansk region) [Trondhjem]K. Norske Videnskabers Selskab url , .
- The voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe; with a historical review of previous journeys along the north coast of the Old World, by A.E. Nordenkiöld, tr. by Alexander Leslie, with five steel portraits, numerous maps, and illustrations. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1882. url p. 150, p. 268, p. 439.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torrey, J. & A. Gray A flora of North America: containing abridged descriptions of all the known indigenous and naturalized plants growing north of Mexico, arranged according to the natural system /by John Torrey and Asa Gray. New York: Wiley & Putnam, 1838-. url p. 452.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 202, p. 256.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , p. 106, p. 107, p. 109, p. 113, p. 14, p. 15, p. 168, p. 179, p. 179, p. 217, p. 25, p. 295, p. 295, p. 310, p. 32, p. 325, p. 344, p. 41, p. 41, p. 484, p. 5, p. 5, p. 88, p. 88, p. 91.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url , p. 17, p. 188, p. 221, p. 229, p. 354, p. 355, p. 374, p. 393, p. 463, p. 484, p. 64.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 252.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1896 London. url p. 177, p. 489.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , , p. 107, p. 282, p. 317, p. 332, p. 419.
- Wall and water gardens / by Gertrude Jekyll. [London]: "Country life", [190-?] url p. 107.
- Wall and water gardens. By Gertrude Jekyll. [London]"Country life" url p. 107.
- Works on forestry [by] J.C. Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1883-87. url p. 186.
- Zoe:a biological journal. San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 18, p. 18.
- Lipschitz, S. J. 1979. Rod Saussurea DC. (Asteraceae). Leningrad.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 29, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657654
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Ast-11939
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2671206
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:242074-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 447638
- David J. Keil "Saussurea". in Flora of North America Vol. 19, 20 and 21 Page 58, 83, 165. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 608.160 meters (1,995.276 feet), Standard Deviation = 439.360 based on 5,750 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]