- Used as an ornamental and medicinally. [source]
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Common Names in English:
Blood Sage, Hummingbird Sage, Red Salvia, Scarlet Sage, Texas Sage, Tropical Sage
, or shrubs
. Leaves simple
or pinnately compound
2- to many flowered, in racemes
, panicles, or spikes, rarely solitary, axillary
; bracteoles minute. Calyx tubular
inside, 2-lipped; upper lip entire, 2-toothed, or 3-mucronate; lower lip 2-toothed. Corolla 2-lipped; tube
straight, horizontal, curved
upward or adaxially dilated
, with or without hairy annulus inside; upper lip folded, straight or falcate
, apex entire or emarginate
; lower lip spreading, 3-lobed; middle
entire, apex emarginate, fringed
, or 2-lobulate; lateral
or circular, spreading
. Stamens 2; filaments
short, horizontal or erect
, T-shaped; upper arms with fertile
or linear anther cells
; lower arms robust
or slender, with fertile or sterile
cells, separated or connected to each other; staminodes 2, small or absent. Style 2-cleft, lobes subulate
, linear or circular, equal, anterior lobe larger or posterior lobe indistinct. Disc slightly swollen in front or ringlike. Nutlets
or oblong, glabrous, smooth
About 900(-1100) species: tropical and temperate zones of the Old and New World, 84 species in China.
There are many taxonomic problems in the flora area, especially in Sichuan and Yunnan provinces ; collation with the situation in the Himalaya is much needed.
Species Salvia coccinea
Herbs annual or biennial. Stems erect , to 70 cm, spreading hirsute , retrorse gray pilose . Petiole 0.5-2 cm; leaf blade ovate to triangular-ovate, 2-5 × 1.5-4 cm, abaxially gray minutely tomentose , base cordate to subtruncate, margin serrate or obtusely serrate, apex acute. Inflorescences densely, retrorse fine white pilose; verticillasters 4- to many flowered, widely spaced, in terminal racemes ; bracts ovate, longer than pedicels, margin ciliate. Pedicel 2-3 mm. Calyx tubular-campanulate, 7-9 mm, finely pilose, puberulent , intermixed with yellowish glands ; upper lip ovate, ca. 2.5 × 3 mm, ciliolate , apex mucronate ; lower lip nearly as long as upper, deeply 2-toothed. Corolla scarlet or deep red, 2-2.3 cm, pubescent ; tube ca. 1.6 cm; upper lip shorter than lower; lower lip ca. 7 × 8.5 mm. Stamens exserted; filaments ca. 4 mm; connectives ca. 1.5 mm, slender. Nutlets yellow-brown with blackish spots, obovoid , 1.5-2.5 mm. Fl. Apr-Jul. [source]
Habit: Subshrub , Shrub , Forb/herb
Flowers: Bloom Period: July, August. • Flower Color: apricot, coral , near white, red, scarletdark red, white
Size: 18-24" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,051 meters (0 to 10,010 feet).
Duration: Annual , Perennial
Culture: Space 6-9" apart.
Soil: Prefers organic , well-drained soil. • Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Lamiales () - Bromhead, 1838
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Salvia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 478 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
S. aethiopis (African Sage) · S. africana-caerulea (Salvia) · S. africana-lutea (Beach Salvia) · S. algeriensis (Algerian Salvia) · S. amissa (Santa Catalina Mountain Sage) · S. apiana (White Sage) · S. apiana var. apiana (White Sage) · S. apiana var. compacta (Compact White Sage) · S. argentea (Silver Sage) · S. argentea 'Hobbit's Foot' (Hobbit's Foot Silver Salvia) · S. argentia (Salvia) · S. arizonica (Arizona Sage) · S. aurita (African Blue Sage) · S. austriaca (Austrian Sage) · S. azurea (Azure Blue Sage) · S. azurea var. azurea (Azure Blue Sage) · S. azurea var. grandiflora (Pitcher Sage) · S. azurea 'Nekan' (Pitcher Sage) · S. ballotiflora (Blue Shrub Sage) · S. barrelieri (Barrelier Salvia) · S. bernardina (Bernard's Sage) · S. blepharophylla (Eyelash-Leaved Sage) · S. blepharophylla 'Diablo' (Eyelash-Leaved Sage) · S. brandegeei (Brandegees Sage) · S. broussonetii (Salvia) · S. buchananii (Buchanans Sage) · S. cacaliaefolia (Gentian Leaf Sage) · S. cacaliifolia (Blue Vine Sage) · S. canariensis (Canary Island Sage) · S. canariensis var. candidissima (Canary Island Sage) · S. candelabrum (Salvia) · S. candidissima (Salvia) · S. canescens (Salvia) · S. carduacea (Thistle Sage) · S. cedrosensis (Salvia) · S. chamaedryoides (Blue Oak Sage) · S. chamaedryoides 'Superba' (Blue Oak Sage) · S. chamelaeagnea (African Blue Sage) · S. chapmanii (Chapman's Sage) · S. chiapensis (Chiapas Sage) · S. chinopeplica (Salvia) · S. chionophylla 'Snowflake Sage' (Snowflake Sage) · S. cinnabarina (Salvia) · S. clevelandii (Cleveland Blue Sage) · S. clevelandii 'Winnifred Gilman' (Cleveland Blue Sage) · S. coahuilensis (Coahuila Sage) · S. coccinea (Blood Sage) · S. coccinea 'Alba' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. coccinea 'Bicolor' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. coccinea 'Brenthurst' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. coccinea 'Coral Nymph' (Coral Nymph Scarlet Sage Salvia Coccinea) · S. coccinea 'Forest Fire' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. coccinea 'Hummingbird Forest Fire' (Forest Fire Salvia) · S. coccinea'Hummingbird White' (White Salvia) · S. coccinea 'Lady in Red' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. coccinea 'Snow Nymph' (Hummingbird Sage) · S. columbariae (Chia) · S. columbariae Benth. var. ziegleri Munz (Chia) · S. columbariae var. argillacea (California Chia) · S. columbariae var. columbariae (California Sage) · S. columbariae var. ziegleri (Ziegler's Sage) · S. confertiflora (Harvest Sage) · S. corrugata (Sage) · S. curtiflora (Salvia) · S. cyanescens (Salvia) · S. daghestanica (Dwarf Silver-Leaf Sage) · S. darcyi (Fiery Sage) · S. davidsonii (Davidson's Sage) · S. dentata (Salvia) · S. discolor (Andean Silver-Leaf Sage) · S. disjuncta (Southern Mexican Sage) · S. divinorum (Diviners Sage) · S. dolichantha (Clustered Sage) · S. dombeyi (Sacred Incan Sage) · S. dominica (Pungent Sage) · S. dorii (Desert Sage) · S. dorisiana (Fruit Sage) · S. dorrii (Grayball Sage) · S. dorrii (Kellogg) Abrams var. incana (Benth.) Strachan (Purple Sage) · S. dorrii mearnsii (Grayball Sage) · S. dorrii var. clokeyi (Purple Sage) · S. dorrii var. incana (Purple Sage) · S. dorrii var. pilosa (Purple Sage) · S. dumetorum (Sage) · S. elegans (Pineapple Sage) · S. elegans 'Golden Delicious' (Golden Pineapple Sage) · S. elegans 'Honey Melon' (Honey Melon Sage) · S. elegans'Peach' (Peach Salvia) · S. elegans 'Tangerine' (Tangerine Sage) · S. engelmannii (Engelmann's Sage) · S. eremostachya (Rose Sage) · S. farinacea (Mealy Cup Sage) · S. farinacea 'Blue Bedder' (Blue Bedder Mealy Cup Sage) · S. farinacea 'Victoria Blue' (Victoria Blue Mealy Cup Sage) · S. farinacea var. farinacea (Mealycup Sage) · S. farinacea var. latifolia (Mealycup Sage) · S. farinacea 'Azul' (Mealy Sage 'azul') · S. farinacea 'Cirrus' (Cirrus Mealy Cup Sage) · S. farinacea 'Evolution' (Evolution Mealy Sage) · S. farinacea 'Gruppenblau' (Mealy Cup Sage)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 710.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 132.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 747, p. 92.
- A system of vegetables, according to their classes, orders, genera, species, with their characters and differences. .. Tr. from the 13th ed. (as pub. by Dr. Murray) of the Systema vegetabilium of the late Professor Linneus; and from the Supplementum plantarum of the present Professor Linneus. .. By a botanical society Lichfield, Printed by J. Jackson for Leigh and Sotheby, 1783. url p. 68.
- An introduction to entomology, or, Elements of the natural history of insects: comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, instinct, etc., etc. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans, 1856. url p. 563.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects. .. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longmans, Green, 1865. url p. 563.
- An introduction to entomology; or, Elements of the natural history of insects: comprising an account of noxious and useful insects, of their metamorphoses, food, stratagems, habitations, societies, motions, noises, hybernation, ins Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1846. url p. 596.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 304.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Suppl. 3 1910 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 413, p. 80, p. 82, p. 83.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 10 1899 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 203.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 180.
- Autikon botanikon. Icones plantarum select. nov. vel rariorum, plerumque americana, interdum african. europ. asiat. oceanic. [etc.] centur. XXV. - Botanical illustrations by select specimens of self-figures in 25 centur By C.S. Rafinesque. .. Phildelphia, Collected, ascertained and described between 1815 [and] 1840. url p. 123.
- Autikon botanikon: or botanical illustrations of 2500. New, rare or beautiful Trees, Shrubs, Plants, Vines, Lilies, Grasses, Ferns... / by Prof. C.S. Rafinesque. Philadelphia, 1815-1840. url p. 123.
- Botanical and physiological memoirs, consisting of I.--The phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. By Dr. A. Braun. Tr. by A. Henfrey. .. II.--On the animal nature of the Diatomeæ, with an organographical revision of the genera established by Kützing. By Professor G. Meneghini. Tr. by Christopher J London: Printed for the Ray Society, 1853. url p. 90.
- Botanical bulletin / Honolulu: Division of Forestry, 1911-1919. url p. 10.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 51.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1921 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 411, p. 493.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 130, p. 140, p. 82.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1914 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 395.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 387.
- Bulletin of the Department of Agriculture, Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad: Dept. of Agriculture, 1914-1927. url p. 22.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 5 1906-1908 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 317, p. 385.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 69.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 959.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 959.
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1898 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. 387, p. 43, p. xvi.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 23 1920-1926 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 1260, p. 1269, p. 1681, p. 234, p. 274, p. 416, p. 443, p. 445, p. 47, p. 573, p. 701.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 8 1942 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 61.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 130, p. 82.
- Contributions to the flora of Venezuela / Julian A. Steyermark and collaborators. 28 1957 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1957. url p. 1085.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 140, p. 98.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 140 1914 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1026, p. 1606.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 87.
- Don, G. A general history of the dichlamydeous plants: comprising complete descriptions of the different orders...the whole arranged according to the natural system /by George Don. 4 1838 London: J.G. and F. Rivington, 1831-1838. url p. 749, p. 750.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 359, p. 360.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 242.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 326.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 326.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Louis O. Williams. 24 1973 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1973. url p. 280.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1960 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 785.
- Flora of Yucatan, by Paul C. Standley. 3 1930 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 406.
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 345.
- Flora of the island of St. Croix. By Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1902 Chicago, 1902. url p. 525.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1033, p. 1033.
- Florida wild flowers; an introduction to the flora of the Florida peninsula, by Mary Francis Baker, photographs by the author. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 196.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 270, p. 414, p. 433.
- Garden planning, by W. S. Rogers; illustrated by the author. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 386.
- Gardening in Egypt: a handbook of gardening for Lower Egypt, by Walter Draper. .. London, L.U. Gill, 1895. url p. 88.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 7.
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 256.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 306.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. By W. B. Hemsley. With an introduction by Edward S. Rand, junr. With nearly 300 illustrations. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Hawaiian Fungi / Honolulu, Hawaii: The Museum, 1925. url p. 140, p. 171.
- Illustrations of the birds of California, Texas, Oregon, British and Russian America.: Intended to contain descriptions and figures of all North American birds not given by former American authors, and a general synopsis of North American ornithology. / By John Cassin, member of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia; of the American Philosophical Society; of the Horticultural Society of Pennsylvania; of the National Institute; of the South 1862 Philadelphia:: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1862. url p. 5.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 4 1908 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 203, p. 632, p. 642, p. 651.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 11 1991 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 181, p. 68.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 29 1928 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 195, p. 207, p. 252, p. 27, p. 305.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 219.
- Lessons with plants. Suggestions for seeing and interpreting some of the common forms of vegetation. New York: Macmillan, 1914[c1907] url .
- Manual of gardening: a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use / New York: Macmillan Co., 1911. url , , .
- Manual of gardening; a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url , , .
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 87.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 416.
- Observations on the gestation of some sharks and rays / Calcutta: Asiatic Society, 1891. url p. 242, p. 301.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, radio series - 1933-34. Gainesville, Fla., Cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, 1934. url .
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 10.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 143, p. 472, p. 481, p. 499.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 701.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plants of the Bahamas, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, by A.S. Hitchcock. .. Issued March 9, 1893. St. Louis, 1893 url p. 119.
- Plants of the Bermudas: or Somer's Islands / by Oswald A. Reade. Hamilton, Bermuda: Printed at the "Royal Gazette" Office, 1883. url p. 57.
- Popular botany; the living plant from seed to fruit, by A.E. Knight and Edward Step. .. New York: H. Holt and company,  url p. 444, p. 444.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 146.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 356.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 264.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 399.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 137.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , , p. 179, p. 179.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 100.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 92.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 345.
- Rafinesque, C. S. Autikon botanikon: or botanical illustrations of 2500. New, rare or beautiful Trees, Shrubs, Plants, Vines, Lilies, Grasses, Ferns... /by Prof. C.S. Rafinesque. 1815-1840 Philadelphia, 1815-1840. url p. 123.
- Reflections on the phenomenon of rejuvenescence in nature, especially in the life and development of plants. Leipzig, 1851. url .
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 441.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 13, p. 58.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url .
- Roxburgh, W. Flora indica;or, Descriptions of Indian plants, by the late William Roxburgh. Edited by Dr. William Carey; to which are added descriptions of plants more recently discovered by Dr. Nathaniel Wallich. 1 1820 Serampore, Printed at the Mission Press, 1820-24. url p. 147, p. 147.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1033.
- Spices and how to know them, by W.M. Gibbs. Buffalo, N.Y., The Matthews-Northrup Works, 1909. url p. 171.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 456, p. 459.
- Structural botany, or Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company,  url .
- Structural botany, or, Organography on the basis of morphology. To which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. New York: American Book Compnay,  url p. 256.
- Structural botany: or, organography on the basis of morphology: to which is added the principles of taxonomy and phytography, and a glossary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. London: Macmillan and Co., [c1879] url p. 256.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalæ, being a second edition of vol. I, part II, and vol. II, part I, collected. London, Iverson, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company;1886. url .
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 598, p. 72.
- The American flower garden companion / by Edward Sayers. Cincinnati: J. A. James, 1846. url p. 203.
- The American gardener's magazine and register of useful discoveries and improvements in horticulture and rural affairs. Boston: Printed for Russell, Shattuck & Williams, & Hovey & Co., 1835- url p. 139.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url , .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, Published by the authors, 1920. url p. 378, p. 378, p. 379, p. 379, p. 379, p. 379.
- The Bermuda islands: an account of their scenery, climate, productions, physiography, natural history and geology, with sketches of their discovery and early history, and the changes in their flora and fauna due to man; with 38 plates and over 250 cuts in the text / by Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn.: The author, 1902. url p. 214, p. 534.
- The Catholic yearbook: comprehending, the circle of the seasons and key to the calendar and almanac, or the natural history, religious festivals and miscellaneous customs of the whole year adapted for all succeeding years; [by Thomas Ignatius Maria Forster] London: Keating and Brown, 1833. url p. 303.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 149.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 16, p. 167, p. 180, p. 262, p. 267, p. 270, p. 318, p. 327, p. 337, p. 34, p. 351, p. 384, p. 4, p. 418, p. 420, p. 500, p. 607, p. 63, p. 70.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 286, p. 286, p. 66.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 144.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 120, p. 149, p. 154, p. 167, p. 19, p. 240, p. 244, p. 252, p. 284, p. 284, p. 288, p. 315, p. 332, p. 334, p. 358, p. 364, p. 386, p. 4, p. 401, p. 407, p. 412, p. 430, p. 442, p. 448, p. 491, p. 595, p. 60, p. 621, p. 631, p. 690, p. 720, p. 730, p. 753, p. 82.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 370, p. 371, p. 372, p. 387.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 192, p. 201, p. 323, p. 323, p. 339.
- The Journal of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture. San Juan: [Board of Commissioners of Agriculture, 1917]. url p. 169.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 39 1909-11 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 139, p. 161, p. 293.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 328, p. 471.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 356.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 744.
- The cottage florist, for the province of Ontario being a compendious and practical guide to the cultivation of flowering plants, adapted to the climate of the late province of Upper Canada / by an amateur florist. Toronto: J. Bain, 1868. url .
- The effects of cross and self fertilisation in the vegetable kingdom. LondonJ. Murray1916 url , p. 292, p. 315, p. 322, p. 352, p. 384, p. 431, p. 485, p. 63, p. 93.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 4 1885 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 656.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 130, p. 82.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url p. 475.
- The garden at home, by H. H. Thomas. .. with 12 full-page plates from photographs in natural colours and 96 half-tone illustrations. London, New York [etc.]Cassell and company, ltd., 1912. url p. 110.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 259, p. 261, p. 264, p. 288, p. 448.
- The gardener's pocket manual / by F. F. Rockwell. . . New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1914 url p. 60.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 203.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 712.
- The ladies' companion to the flower-garden: being an alphabetical arrangement of all the ornamental plants usually grown in gardens and shrubberies, with full directions for their culture / by Mrs. Loudon. London: Bradbury & Evans, 1858. url p. 359.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun by F. W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. London, Blackie, 1894-1895. url p. 196.
- The naturalist in Bermuda; a sketch of the geology, zoology, and botany of that remarkable group of islands; together with meteorological observations. London, Reeves & Turner, 1859. url , .
- The new practical window gardener; being practical directions for the cultivation of flowering and foliage plants in windows and glazed cases, and the arrangement of plants and flowers for the embellishment of the household. London, Groombridge and sons, 1877. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 2061, p. 298.
- Tilton's journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1869-1871. url p. 199.
- Torrey, J. Report on the United States and Mexican boundary survey: made under the direction of the secretary of the Interior /by William H. Emory, major First Cavalry, and United States commissioner. Washington: C. Wendell, printer, 1857-59. url p. 132, p. 132.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 127, p. 210.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 276.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 626, p. 946, p. 946, p. 946.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 130, p. 165, p. 35.
- Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1890-1903. url p. 3.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 103, p. 148.
- Travels of Ruiz, Pavón, and Dombey in Peru and Chile (1777-1788) / by Hipólito Ruiz; with an epilogue and official documents added by Agustín Jesús Barreiro; translation by B.E. Dahlgren. 21 1940 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1940. url p. 310, p. 313.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 1269.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 126.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 49.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 22, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- Taiwan Biodiversity Information Facility, Magnoliophyta
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2655279
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-32682
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13746544
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:61029-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 32923
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 32682
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: SACO5
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 61311
- "Salvia". in Flora of China Vol. 17 Page 195. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 246.310 meters (808.104 feet), Standard Deviation = 553.700 based on 194 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]